PDA

View Full Version : Know your Mexican

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I just watched a fascinating interview with a guy who wrote a book about Mexican ways. I realize I know nothing at all about Mexico. Here is a short clip on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNNGcjSqw2c

Mexicans are fiercely individualistic, much more so than Americans. They won't live in condos or apartments, everybody gotta have their own little casa, no matter how humble. They have the lowest level of associations and clubs in the world.

Another thing: Mexicans don't like competition where there are losers. They hold more guiness book of records entries than any other country in the world, this guy claims because Mexicans want to be able to win things without competition.

In parts of the interview not in the clip, the guy claims a lot of the Mexician character, especially the aversion to social organization, stems from a distrust of organizations born from being a conquered people. He says Mexico is totally different from say, Brazil because of this. You can see the whole interview here:
http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11839

Anyway, as I was watching this show, I couldn't help thinking about the nutjob who runs this joint. Thought I'd share.

GrnBay007
08-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Awwe, u are in your jammies cuddled up on your sofa watching TV thinking of Mad.....u do miss him!! :)

Luv u Harlan! :)

Iron Mike
08-12-2011, 07:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cml_FBHQdmg

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 08:47 AM
that video was a long ride for a short payoff. But at least I know not to trust mexican beans.

GrnBay007, I do miss Madtown, I picture him sitting in his adobe house staring out the window with a shotgun on his lap, keeping an eye on the neighbors. I guess he lays-out poisoned meat on his lawn in case some dog wanders onto his property.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Some fun facts from that interview: there are over a million Americans living in Mexico, mostly retirees taking advantage of the low cost of living and decent health care. Mexico is a big exporter of manufactured goods like cars and refrigerators, they export even more than Brazil, but almost 100% goes to just the U.S.

Mexico's big problem is the drug violence, although it is not happening everywhere. The solution (according to that guy, who is former Mexican foreign minister and presidential candidate) is to legalize drug trade. That's what Peru has done, and they have no drug violence now. When the U.S. had prohibition in 1930's, Canada didn't go along with it, they made tons of money selling whiskey to dumb Americans. Why should Mexico tolerate their country being torn apart by drug violence? As Peter Tosh said, "Legalize it, don't criticize it."

HowardRoark
08-12-2011, 09:33 AM
As the bathroom stall at Memorial Union said..."Drop loads, not bombs."

retailguy
08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Some fun facts from that interview: there are over a million Americans living in Mexico, mostly retirees taking advantage of the low cost of living and decent health care. Mexico is a big exporter of manufactured goods like cars and refrigerators, they export even more than Brazil, but almost 100% goes to just the U.S.

Mexico's big problem is the drug violence, although it is not happening everywhere. The solution (according to that guy, who is former Mexican foreign minister and presidential candidate) is to legalize drug trade. That's what Peru has done, and they have no drug violence now. When the U.S. had prohibition in 1930's, Canada didn't go along with it, they made tons of money selling whiskey to dumb Americans. Why should Mexico tolerate their country being torn apart by drug violence? As Peter Tosh said, "Legalize it, don't criticize it."

That's it! If you can't defend it, legalize it. I vote we legalize gangs of black people that want to beat up white folk outside the Wisconsin State Fair. Presto, problem solved!

MadtownPacker
08-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Owe, u are in your jammies cuddled up on your sofa watching TV thinking of Mad.....u do miss him!! :)

Luv u Harlan! :)jammies?? This joto was probably buttnaked stroking it to the sight of poor mexicans. Sick bastard.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 12:54 PM
That's it! If you can't defend it, legalize it. I vote we legalize gangs of black people that want to beat up white folk outside the Wisconsin State Fair. Presto, problem solved!

legalization isn't the answer for everything. prohibition of drugs creates far too much corruption and violence for no gain. Our country had zero success prohibiting alchohol in the 1930's, it just fostered organized crime. Mexico is being smothered by violence and corruption that is far worse than any theoretical increase in drug use brought by legalization. You got to know when to hold and when to fold. Latin America is going to forward with legalization whether the U.S. agrees or not.

mraynrand
08-12-2011, 01:05 PM

There's some wisdom here, but some insanity as well. Peter Tosh for President, I guess. Couldn't do worse than the current occupant.

retailguy
08-12-2011, 06:50 PM
legalization isn't the answer for everything. prohibition of drugs creates far too much corruption and violence for no gain. Our country had zero success prohibiting alchohol in the 1930's, it just fostered organized crime. Mexico is being smothered by violence and corruption that is far worse than any theoretical increase in drug use brought by legalization. You got to know when to hold and when to fold. Latin America is going to forward with legalization whether the U.S. agrees or not.

Great speech. Maybe you should try it out on this victims family.

Police: High Driver Kills Special Needs Teacher

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/20345013/detail.html

Or try it out on the family of this victim.

Impaired Driver Kills Passenger in High Speed Crash

http://redding.injuryboard.com/automobile-accidents/impaired-driver-kills-passenger-in-high-speed-crash.aspx?googleid=251434

Joemailman
08-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Police: High Driver Kills Special Needs Teacher

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/20345013/detail.html

Or try it out on the family of this victim.

Impaired Driver Kills Passenger in High Speed Crash

http://redding.injuryboard.com/automobile-accidents/impaired-driver-kills-passenger-in-high-speed-crash.aspx?googleid=251434

Are you advocating outlawing alcohol? (We tried that once. Didn't work out so well). About 1/3 of all traffic deaths are due to alcohol.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 09:05 PM

I was talking about drug trafficing in Mexico. The War on drugs there has failed spectacularly and produced incredible violence. I cannot think of a single reason why it is in Mexico's interests to perpetuate the drug cartels.
The related issue you raise is that of drug use in this country.

Our drug policy on both has failed. I think putting drug distribution in the hands of criminal networks causes big problems, and we never, ever will be able to put much of a dent into it,. I would rather distribute drugs by licensed and regulated businesses.

Are there more or less victims as the result of the war on drugs?

If your idea is to keep doing what we're doing, then you aren't dealing with reality. Whatever your suggestions are, I hope they are dramatic and creative.

retailguy
08-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Are you advocating outlawing alcohol? (We tried that once. Didn't work out so well). About 1/3 of all traffic deaths are due to alcohol.

No, I'm advocating that we don't need other legal ways to get impaired before someone gets behind the wheel. Legalizing drugs is likely to make 1/2 or more of traffic deaths due to alcohol AND drugs.

retailguy
08-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I was talking about drug trafficing in Mexico. The War on drugs there has failed spectacularly and produced incredible violence. I cannot think of a single reason why it is in Mexico's interests to perpetuate the drug cartels.
The related issue you raise is that of drug use in this country.

Our drug policy on both has failed. I think putting drug distribution in the hands of criminal networks causes big problems, and we never, ever will be able to put much of a dent into it,. I would rather distribute drugs by licensed and regulated businesses.

Are there more or less victims as the result of the war on drugs?

If your idea is to keep doing what we're doing, then you aren't dealing with reality. Whatever your suggestions are, I hope they are dramatic and creative.

My idea is "NOT" to keep doing what we're doing. We're not doing much of anything and that's not working. Legalization is ridiculous. The problem with Mexico is that it is as corrupt as the drug cartels. They've bankrupted their people and themselves. A revolution is needed.

I have no solution for the drug trade, but neither do you. Ask your pal Bobby Jindal. he's an expert on everything. Just ask him.

Joemailman
08-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Some food for thought:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123535114271444981.html

We also propose the careful evaluation, from a public-health standpoint, of the possibility of decriminalizing the possession of cannabis for personal use. Cannabis is by far the most widely used drug in Latin America, and we acknowledge that its consumption has an adverse impact on health. But the available empirical evidence shows that the hazards caused by cannabis are similar to the harm caused by alcohol or tobacco.

If we want to effectively curb drug use, we should look to the campaign against tobacco consumption. The success of this campaign illustrates the effectiveness of prevention campaigns based on clear language and arguments consistent with individual experience. Likewise, statements by former addicts about the dangers of drugs will be far more compelling to current users than threats of repression or virtuous exhortations against drug use.

Such educational campaigns must be targeted at youth, by far the largest contingent of users and of those killed in the drug wars. The campaigns should also stress each person's responsibility toward the rising violence and corruption associated with the narcotics trade. By treating consumption as a matter of public health, we will enable police to focus their efforts on the critical issue: the fight against organized crime.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 09:25 PM
No, I'm advocating that we don't need other legal ways to get impaired before someone gets behind the wheel. Legalizing drugs is likely to make 1/2 or more of traffic deaths due to alcohol AND drugs.

Do you think if pot is legal, more people will drive drunk and stoned?

I really doubt it. We already have draconian laws against drunk driving, which seems to have worked pretty well.

We need to get rid of criminal distribution of drugs, which is filling up prisons. Even more pressing is for Mexico to get rid of their drug cartels, which is making parts of the country ungovernable, and creating thousands of vicitims.

I don't know the exact formula for drug policy. We need to do things to discourage drug use.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 09:30 PM
The problem with Mexico is that it is as corrupt as the drug cartels. They've bankrupted their people and themselves. A revolution is needed.
I was coming to see from the interview with guy above that MExico actually is a very hopeful place. Their economy has quietly started functioning pretty well. 55% of the country is now middle class (I think that means home ownership, retirement, health care, stable income.) That's pretty damn good, they are on their way.

The corruption of the country really is localized to certain areas, intense, and driven by narcotics trafficing. I don't think drug use in Mexico is so high. It really makes sense for them to legalize drug trafficing. I don't know exactly how that would work. In peru, "legal" means official ignore the growing of coca leaves.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Some food for thought:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123535114271444981.html

Very interesting statement by Latin American presidents. Its pretty clear that the path forward for Latin America will be legalization. Their primary problem is not drug use, its the organized crime. What the U.S. should do might be tougher question.

MadtownPacker
08-13-2011, 11:58 AM
The words of a wise man who has no clue what he is talking about when it comes to this subject.

I know LOTS of people that have had bad shit happen when they are driving drunk or just being drunk in general. I cant say I have ever heard of anyone driving just stoned have anything worse happen then getting pulled over and getting their weed taken away (count me in). Bottom line, the people you are concerned about driving stoned are already doing it and yet you never hear about how they killed a whole family. Nope, that is just about always someone who got drunk, which is legal. Which based on your criteria means you should be demanding alcohol be banned.

MadtownPacker
08-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I ganked this crap...

----------------------------------------------
http://images.craigslist.org/3m93o43pb5Y35Z45W4b8d5cfebd40e2d21039.jpg

Now we all know how these "Messycans" speak so here are a few more words to add to their list...........

"Cheese"....The teacher told Pepito to use the word cheese in a sentence..Pepito replies:Maria likes me,but cheese ugly.......

"Mushroom".....When all my families get into the car there's not mushroom......

"Shoulder".....My fren wants to become a citizen, but che didn't know how to read, so I shoulder................

wootah
08-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I would rather distribute drugs by licensed and regulated businesses.

Even for hard drugs? Regulating it is what they did in Holland with softdrugs and they are trying to get out of it now. Since 2008 magic mushrooms are already prohibited and more and more restrictions are being planned (use of weed ID, etc).

Iron Mike
08-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Before this gets dragged into F.Y.I......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLqqZmNFa_A

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Even for hard drugs? Regulating it is what they did in Holland with softdrugs and they are trying to get out of it now.
Its a complicated picture, but the Netherlands are adjusting policies and generally succeeding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

The more I think about these problems, the more confusing it seems. How do you dispense hard drugs? How can the Latin American countries legalize drug trafficing without cooperation of U.S.? I don't know the solution, but I know for sure that the drug war in Mexico has caused far more damage than it has prevented.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Before this gets dragged into F.Y.I...... That one never gets old

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2011, 06:00 PM
I ganked this crap...

How many sheets would you like on your bed?

retailguy
08-14-2011, 05:34 PM
The words of a wise man who has no clue what he is talking about when it comes to this subject.

I know LOTS of people that have had bad shit happen when they are driving drunk or just being drunk in general. I cant say I have ever heard of anyone driving just stoned have anything worse happen then getting pulled over and getting their weed taken away (count me in). Bottom line, the people you are concerned about driving stoned are already doing it and yet you never hear about how they killed a whole family. Nope, that is just about always someone who got drunk, which is legal. Which based on your criteria means you should be demanding alcohol be banned.

I, on the other hand, know plenty of people who drank and then drove for years without incident. But, that isn't the point. We both know that if your "high" friends and my "drunk" friends were stopped and tested, they'd be DWI, and DUI. Period.

There is one difference between pot and alcohol. Pot is frequently a "gateway drug" that leads to harder drug use. People claim that pot isn't "addictive" but thousands seek treatment every year for addiction, and many thousands more seek treatment for "harder" drugs. When you explore their background, frequently they started with pot and progressed to different drugs. That's a fact. You can't change it, and I can't either.

Plenty of people can use alcohol without affecting their lives. I continually hear folks say the same thing about pot. But my experience, and yes, I have some in this area, is that many more are led down a path that they can't come back from. It ain't worth it, and no anecdotal stories will ever convince me of that.

MadtownPacker
08-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Not a bad post but you have to be lying to yourself if you dont think alcohol and cigarettes arent the first gateway. Almost everyone is exposed to it as a child, not everyone is exposed to weed or crack so what sparked their interest to smoke pot??

That is my whole point, if you want to do away with drugs then you are going to have to do way with alcohol. Then you might have to do away with chocolate cuz people get hooked on that shit too.

Face it, we are fucking lost.

easy cheesy
08-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Cofucious say when standing on toilet high on pot...

MadtownPacker
08-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Cofucious say when standing on toilet high on pot...
What the fuck did Iron Mike smoke with you? Some sherm?

easy cheesy
08-14-2011, 10:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius

OOEY VEY!

retailguy
08-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Not a bad post but you have to be lying to yourself if you dont think alcohol and cigarettes arent the first gateway. Almost everyone is exposed to it as a child, not everyone is exposed to weed or crack so what sparked their interest to smoke pot??

That is my whole point, if you want to do away with drugs then you are going to have to do way with alcohol. Then you might have to do away with chocolate cuz people get hooked on that shit too.

Face it, we are fucking lost.

Yep. Lost is a good word. I agree with that.

What sparks their interest? Simple. Being a teenager and growing up. Most kids are heavily influenced by what they see around them, be it family, friends, whatever. Peer pressure....

mraynrand
08-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Do you think if pot is legal, more people will drive drunk and stoned?

I really doubt it. We already have draconian laws against drunk driving, which seems to have worked pretty well.

We need to get rid of criminal distribution of drugs, which is filling up prisons. Even more pressing is for Mexico to get rid of their drug cartels, which is making parts of the country ungovernable, and creating thousands of vicitims.

I don't know the exact formula for drug policy. We need to do things to discourage drug use.

We need the wisdom of Solomon. Legalizing harder drugs would be a disaster, but continuing as we are isn't helping in a lot of ways also. Americans likey their recreational drugs and it's impossible to stop 'em gettin' 'em.

HowardRoark
08-15-2011, 10:32 AM
bobblehead should stop posting while roid raging.

Little Whiskey
08-15-2011, 12:21 PM
So how did a thread about madtown turn into a thread about pot? .......oh now i see the correlation.

MadtownPacker
08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
So how did a thread about madtown turn into a thread about pot? .......oh now i see the correlation.This thread ain't about me. It is about all of you drugwar fighters who love drugs. I have to believe Harlan got dumped by a Mexican lover and started this thread out of spite.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Hah. I dumped you.

Winning!

MadtownPacker
08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Hah. I dumped you.

Winning!

Maybe but you came crawling back!

(just healed you with my brain)

retailguy
08-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Hah. I dumped you.

Winning!

This explains a lot. THANKS Charlie!

Iron Mike
08-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Confucius say man standing on toilet high on pot...

Confucius say man who fart in church sits in own pew.....

http://www.all-famous-quotes.com/images/uploads/confucius1.jpg

GrnBay007
08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
I ganked this crap...

Now we all know how these "Messycans" speak so here are a few more words to add to their list...........

"Cheese"....The teacher told Pepito to use the word cheese in a sentence..Pepito replies:Maria likes me,but cheese ugly.......

"Shoulder".....My fren wants to become a citizen, but che didn't know how to read, so I shoulder................

"I have a pain in my chess and I can't breaf"

~my boy G. Lopez :)

woodbuck27
08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I just watched a fascinating interview with a guy who wrote a book about Mexican ways. I realize I know nothing at all about Mexico. Here is a short clip on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNNGcjSqw2c

Mexicans are fiercely individualistic, much more so than Americans. They won't live in condos or apartments, everybody gotta have their own little casa, no matter how humble. They have the lowest level of associations and clubs in the world.

Another thing: Mexicans don't like competition where there are losers. They hold more guiness book of records entries than any other country in the world, this guy claims because Mexicans want to be able to win things without competition.

In parts of the interview not in the clip, the guy claims a lot of the Mexician character, especially the aversion to social organization, stems from a distrust of organizations born from being a conquered people. He says Mexico is totally different from say, Brazil because of this. You can see the whole interview here:
http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11839

Anyway, as I was watching this show, I couldn't help thinking about the nutjob who runs this joint. Thought I'd share.

'' In parts of the interview not in the clip, the guy claims a lot of the Mexician character, especially the aversion to social organization, stems from a distrust of organizations'' HH

Ahhh seems like the mexicans and my forefathers ' the Irish ' have alot in common. The Irish it has seemed to me , in terms of history, will hire out to any country that will employ them for their feisty military skills. That's how my earliest Paternal ancestors arrived in Canada following the War of Independence. They were given large land grants in New Brunswick Canada. After America liberated fr. the British my ancestors were given an opportunity to re- establih in British North America as LOYALISTS to the British Flag. Funny how the Irish have been with Egland. Love em or hate em. It depends on whatever is going down that pleases the Irish or not. Pretty normal folk then...but feisty. (-:

Now back on topic and Mexico (Mexicans). Personally I have no opinion on any culture as I choose to be as open minded as possible.To understand not judge.

I need some help here.

I havn't seen the movie in it's entirety.Starring Tom Berenger, depicting the Irish military support for Mexico Vs America and the tragedy that ensued for those Irishmen that fought under the flag of Mexico. I aways get the tail end of that movie?... miss out on all the exciting action. I discover the movie at the end. The part where the surviving Irish ( Mexican recriuts ) are being led off to be executed by the American side after a large American victory over the Mexican side.

This movie depicts. One part of the Spanish American War ( Ithink?) and a part of Irish history in terms of just one country's flag it's soldiers campained under?

Question: The movie is entitled: Looking for that title...help anyone! Yikes !!! Tom Berenger has been in ' a whopping ' ..... 84 movies.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000297/

QUESTION: Where did the terms of expression: '' Never trust an Irishman '' ... come from? ...

Was it? .... as a result of the war between Scotland for it's independance fr. England? It's well illustrated in the awesome movie BRAVEHEART. When the Irish turn on the English just prior to a huge showdown. England Vs the Scottish Highland Warriors.

Ed.

woodbuck27
08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by MadtownPacker

I ganked this crap...

"Shoulder".....My fren wants to become a citizen, but che didn't know how to read, so I shoulder................ Mad.

Mad... your cool. Thanks for my early mornin' haahoot. Eddie

Iron Mike
08-16-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1QyDhLj5hU&feature=related

Iron Mike
08-16-2011, 09:29 PM
http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/091/284/list/eso_es_racista.gif