PDA

View Full Version : trading flynn during pre season

red
08-12-2011, 11:41 AM
some of us talked in the offseason about trading matt flynn for a nice draft pick while we can still get something for him

it didn't happen

many of us mentioned that fact that its nice to have a good backup in case rodgers goes down. however it now seems like harrell is starting to make some nice progress, so flynn "could" maybe be expendable

while the preseason goes on i have a felling that we'll see some teams realize that they need some massive help at qb (i'm looking at you miami). it also appears that the top qb out there that could be traded for, isn't going anywhere (orton) thanks to little jesus (tebow) not living up to the hype yet.

pft mentioned that it looked like the patriots could be auditioning their backup qb's for other teams in the hopes of trading one. i think we should be doing the same thing. flynn is gone after this season, either we get something for him, or we don't. i say put him on display for these 4 games and see if we can get some other team to blow their load over him

sheepshead
08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
I agree, plus if ARod goes down I'm sure TT has Favre's number. :-)

Brandon494
08-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I agree, plus if ARod goes down I'm sure TT has Favre's number. :-)

hahaha that just made me laugh out loud

3irty1
08-12-2011, 12:59 PM
I think he's just too valuable to trade in this era of concussion testing. He could literally mean the difference between playoffs or not.

hoosier
08-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Flynn is the Packers ace in the hole if Rodgers gets hurt. At the start of last year it looked like he might have just enough to get them through a couple of games without the wheels falling off. After the New England game Flynn's prospects are probably quite a bit higher. Given the relative likelihood that Rodgers is going to get dinged up at some point this year, and considering the huge expectations for them this year, I don't think TT will or should consider trading him even if he were offered a 1. Holding onto impending UFAs and refusing to seek draft picks for them is the Packers version of "all in" this year.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
New England has two guys that teams might be interested in trading for. We have one. If NE traded Hoyer or Mallet, they'd still have the other guy to back up Brady. Would anybody feel comfortable with trusting Harrell to win if Rodgers went out for a few games? Also, you have to factor in what GB might get as a compensatory pick for Flynn if/when he goes elsewhere after this season. I think I'd rather take Flynn for a year (a year in which we are a favorite for the Super Bowl) + a 3rd round pick over a 2nd round pick (or whatever the offer may be).

Brandon494
08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
You have to keep him with Rodgers concussion history

Lurker64
08-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I just don't think you get much for Flynn at this point. He's only under contract for one more year, and it's far, far, far too late in the process to install him in a new offense as a starter. So a team would basically be trading for a "quality backup"... which wouldn't really land much in return at all. Flynn is in the classic "more valuable to the team that has him, than any other team" position right now that pretty much rules out a trade.

gbgary
08-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I think he's just too valuable to trade in this era of concussion testing. He could literally mean the difference between playoffs or not.

you got that right.

vince
08-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I like Harrell as a future back-up. He has the intangibles you look for like Flynn does. I think he'll be Matt Flynn II in the future. But he's not ready yet from what I've seen. It can be tough to gauge though because they're playing with a bunch of other guys who are marginal and don't have command of the offense - and it only takes one on the line to fuck up a play. Still, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night and the rest of the preseason.

bobblehead
08-12-2011, 09:35 PM

This. If Rodgers missed a game last season with a knee injury I think Flynn would have already been traded. TT and MM believe they can win with Flynn. They are not going to trade him away when they know that Rodgers could end up being a chris miller or even a steve young. Many careers have been cut short by concussions BEFORE the league got aggressive about guys passing tests and such. You don't trade flynn for short of a blockbuster if you have ANY doubts about rodgers skull.

pbmax
08-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Funny how last year no one trusted Flynn if Rodgers went down and missed a start.

But Harrell did not look quite ready yet tonight. Maybe slightly behind Flynn's pace last year. Having no QB school with M3 didn't help.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-13-2011, 10:07 PM
New England has two guys that teams might be interested in trading for. We have one. If NE traded Hoyer or Mallet, they'd still have the other guy to back up Brady. Would anybody feel comfortable with trusting Harrell to win if Rodgers went out for a few games? Also, you have to factor in what GB might get as a compensatory pick for Flynn if/when he goes elsewhere after this season. I think I'd rather take Flynn for a year (a year in which we are a favorite for the Super Bowl) + a 3rd round pick over a 2nd round pick (or whatever the offer may be).

Exactly

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I would roll the dice and trade Flynn for a #2 if the opportunity was there.

Look at it this way: would you trade Flynn for Cobb?

Its probably a good thing that I am not a GM, this would be a very risky move.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-13-2011, 10:32 PM

Or look at it this way. Would you trade Flynn (with minus a year for service) plus Jones (assuming you get a 3rd anyway) for cobb?

mission
08-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Why do we need Flynn to win if Rodgers goes down?

He didn't win at Detroit and he didn't win at New England. Not that he didn't play well, but Harrell could probably 'almost win' for us too.

Almost winning sucks. It's almost as bad as losing.

mission
08-13-2011, 10:59 PM

In a heartbeat I would.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Its instructive to take a look at TT's history in the second round. Pretty good odds, I would say.

You can't conclude much from Harrell's performance last night, he was playing with the funny guys. Maybe you need to give Harrell a chance with the first string next week.

Its not clear that Flynn could draw a #2 pick in a trade, but its not an unreasonable guess.

Hits
Randall Cobb
Mike Neal
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Nick Collins

Good players
Brandon Jackson
Daryn College

misses
Terrence Murphy (injury)
Brian Brohm (hey, he's still in NFL!)

Upnorth
08-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Flynn in his first start almost won against the pats, considered by many to be the best team then. Rodgers almost won against Dallas as a back up, glad we didn't trade him. I realize it is very different circumstances but until Harrell can almost beat an elite team we need to keep Flynn.

Brandon494
08-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Its instructive to take a look at TT's history in the second round. Pretty good odds, I would say.

You can't conclude much from Harrell's performance last night, he was playing with the funny guys. Maybe you need to give Harrell a chance with the first string next week.

Its not clear that Flynn could draw a #2 pick in a trade, but its not an unreasonable guess.

Hits
Randall Cobb
Mike Neal
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Nick Collins

Good players
Brandon Jackson
Daryn College

misses
Terrence Murphy (injury)
Brian Brohm (hey, he's still in NFL!)

Add Pat Lee to misses

gbpackfan
08-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Can you really blame TT for Murphy? My answer is NO. Switch his name with Lee.

gbpackfan
08-14-2011, 04:59 PM
I hate Flynn. The guy is a dick, I've met him. He is cocky and thinks he is way better than he actually is. That being said, I think we need to hang on to him. If Rodgers goes down he gives us a much better chance to win than Harrell. Harrell gives us NO chance. He's got a wet noodle for an arm and apparently his fingers are made of butter sticks. If TT trades him, we need to sign an old pro for a back-up. Final decision, keep him.

vince
08-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Why do we need Flynn to win if Rodgers goes down?

He didn't win at Detroit and he didn't win at New England. Not that he didn't play well, but Harrell could probably 'almost win' for us too.

Almost winning sucks. It's almost as bad as losing.
I don't think there's any chance whatsoever this will happen, but I think a second rounder is the threshold. I wouldn't do it for a 3rd. They're guaranteed to get a 3rd or 4th the year after next if he walks next year.

No one knows whether or for how many games Rodgers might be out for this year. Their defense is good enough to at least keep them in every game. Flynn is good enough to play for extended periods if needed. Harrell doesn't look to me like he is yet.

I'm not sure Thompson, who's playing something other than fantasy gm'ing, would even consider doing it for a 1st rounder. It's conceivable that a repeat Super Bowl could be at stake, and I don't think he wants to do anything to potentially screw that up at the moment. He doesn't need to take risks with with what is already perhaps the best young roster in the league.

digitaldean
08-14-2011, 08:10 PM
With Harrell fumbling twice last night, I don't think that helps the chances of getting rid of Flynn this season. Harrell really has to step it up for it to happen.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2011, 09:00 PM
I hate Flynn. The guy is a dick, I've met him. He is cocky and thinks he is way better than he actually is. That being said, I think we need to hang on to him. If Rodgers goes down he gives us a much better chance to win than Harrell. Harrell gives us NO chance. He's got a wet noodle for an arm and apparently his fingers are made of butter sticks. If TT trades him, we need to sign an old pro for a back-up. Final decision, keep him.

After your post I actually like him even more. I would rather him be cocky than scared. You have to be a little cocky to play QB.

gbpackfan
08-14-2011, 09:13 PM
There is a differene between being a cocky prick to fans, and being cocky on the football field. That same night I met Sitton, Barnett, Jackson, Jennings, Finley, Crabtree, Woodson, Williams, Bush and host of other players. NOT ONE OF THEM were pricks like Flynn. By your reasoning, they must all be scared. They seem pretty good to me. But Im not a scout.

I have met Flynn twice, same dick both times. Fuck him. If he weren't Packer, I'd be rooting for Suh to rip his head off. But he is, and I am team guy, so I have to take a bite of the Flynn shit sandwich.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2011, 10:22 PM
By my reasoning? How was I supposed to you met all those other players and he was the only one being a prick? All you said was he was cocky, but that doesn't atuomatically make him a dick. Some people don't like cocky people and thats fine. Being a prick to fans to something completely different and you didn't say that. My whole point was I don't mind players being a little cocky, esp at QB. Rodgers told fans to shut up and get in line before his first year starting.......that was my point......being cocky doesn't make you a prick. I don't think Rodgers is a prick, but he sure as hell is a little cocky.

gbpackfan
08-14-2011, 11:23 PM
I clearly said he was a dick in my first post. Either way, it it not worth arguing about. You think the way you think, and I think the way I do. Im not looking for a "fight." I hate Flynn, not you.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-15-2011, 12:08 AM
lol I never said you hated me, and I surely don’t hate you. And trying to clarify my point doesn't mean we are "fighting." Its not about anyone thinking a certain way. You said he was a dick and then said he was cocky and thinks he's way better than he is. So naturally that’s why I thought you were calling him a dick - b/c you thought he was cocky. If he was being a prick for some other reason that’s fine and you are entitled to your opinion, but reading your first post I thought you didn’t like him b/c he was cocky. I didn't know the rest of the story obviously. My point wasn't that if you are not cocky then you must be scared as you claim I was trying to say. My point was that I would rather him be cocky than say Jay Cutler lol.

But if he’s a mean person than that’s a whole other story and thats different than being cocky. Hopefully Rodgers plays amazing and doesn't get hurt and we never need to see him play.

gbpackfan
08-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Maybe he was just mean to me, and no one else. He was probably jealous. ;-)

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Maybe he was just mean to me, and no one else. He was probably jealous. ;-)

Probably :)