PDA

View Full Version : Jermichael Finley, TE or WR?

red
08-12-2011, 05:28 PM
after i saw the one practice this week i mentioned that finley was lining up out wide, that got me thinking

the guy dropped 15 pounds this off season, so that means he's under 230 by my count. now finley isn't a blocker, we don't expect him to be one, and he really isn't much of one

so is he really a TE, or is he a WR? if he lines up outside as a WR all the time he would be a nightmare for other teams to try and cover. too big and strong for cb's, way too fast and athletic for Lb's to try and cover. i'm thinking teams would have to cover him with a safety WITH some help maybe from a CB. this of course should open up the middle of the field for the running game or the other recievers.

i don't know. i just think if you get him out of the traffic in the middle and put him out on the edge he would be even more unstoppable

i really think he's capable of putting up elite receiver numbers this year if he can stay healthy. i'm thinking like 1100 or 1200 yards and he should easily be over double digit td's

i said it last year and i'll say it again, he could be the most unstoppable offensive threat since randy moss in his prime

thoughts?

Smidgeon
08-12-2011, 05:42 PM
He came into training camp at 240.

Noodle
08-12-2011, 05:43 PM
This has me perplexed. I just don't know if he has the fluid moves to be effective against a corner. He can eat an LB or many safetys for lunch, sure, but a true DB is a different kettle of fish.

I prefer that he be able to handle the traditional strong-side TE role, as this makes him all the more difficult for the defense. Otherwise, when he's in, defenses will just go nickel or will otherwise account for him as a receiver.

It's the will-he or won't-he that makes him a killer.

Tony Oday
08-12-2011, 06:27 PM
TE ALL THE WAY!!!!! Cheaper to tender a franchise tag too :)

3irty1
08-12-2011, 06:32 PM
He came into training camp at 240.

Calvin Johnson is still nearly the same size.

Guiness
08-12-2011, 06:44 PM
He came in at 240? That's only 5lbs off his reported weight from last year, and a ways from the 230lb he insinuated he was going to come in at.

There are a lot of WR's around 6'3 and 220 - Jordy Nelson for instance. His size/strength give him a nice advantage when he splits wide, but I agree with Noodle - if he drops too much weight, he's just another tall skinny WR, and when he's covered by the #2 CB on a team instead of their dime guy, he'll be in trouble.

vince
08-12-2011, 06:45 PM
He's in the perfect position in this offense. Tight Receiver.

Brandon494
08-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Hes a TE with WR skills. He doesn't have enough elusiveness to play WR.

MadScientist
08-12-2011, 07:52 PM
The Packers don't need another WR. They need a guy to run though the middle. If Finley isn't a TE, he isn't nearly as valuable.

Scott Campbell
08-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Remember back when TE's used to block people sometimes?

Brandon494
08-12-2011, 08:07 PM
The game has changed, its a passing league now. Having a strong running game doesn't win championships anymore.

RashanGary
08-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Finley isn't all that fast. He's fast for a guy his size. He's big, pretty fluid and has the best ball skills I've seen in a Packer. Tony Gonzalez is a good comparison. Moss had those elite ball skills but was lightning fast. Finley is more ball skills and body positioning.

And yes, he's an unstoppable weapon if he's healthy. Gonzo #2. He's one of the toughest covers in the NFL.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I thought it funny that the first time McCarthy saw Finley this summer he said, "What, you don't want to block anymore?"

bobblehead
08-12-2011, 09:26 PM
The game has changed, its a passing league now. Having a strong running game doesn't win championships anymore.

Game one: rodgers 180 yards passing, vick 292, starks 123, mccoy 46
Game two: rodgers 366, ryan 186, starks 66, turner 39
Game three: rodgers 244, bears 233, starks 74, forte 70
Game four: rodgers 304, Rothlesburger 263, starks 54, mendenhall 63

So basically we outrushed all three teams in the division games, including one where we were severely outpassed. We finally were outrushed by the Steelers who are masterful at both running and stopping the run, but we won the turnover battle in a big way.

The league has changed, but you still MUST run the ball effectively to be successful.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Game one: rodgers 180 yards passing, vick 292, starks 123, mccoy 46
Game two: rodgers 366, ryan 186, starks 66, turner 39
Game three: rodgers 244, bears 233, starks 74, forte 70
Game four: rodgers 304, Rothlesburger 263, starks 54, mendenhall 63

So basically we outrushed all three teams in the division games, including one where we were severely outpassed. We finally were outrushed by the Steelers who are masterful at both running and stopping the run, but we won the turnover battle in a big way.

The league has changed, but you still MUST run the ball effectively to be successful.

These stats are misleading. We got out to two TD leads in all three games. The other teams barely ran the ball, and we barely ran the ball until we got the big lead (except for the Philly game). We mostly came out throwing the ball early in those games, got the lead, and then ran a lot (although not all that efficiently).

RashanGary
08-13-2011, 08:22 AM
bobblehead, I'm going to go ahead and be a dick here. . . .

You're fucking crazy if you don't think Jermichael Finley is an awesome addition to our offense. First of all, he blocks with heart, technique and he's pretty alright at it. Finley is a tough football player. He loves contact. He loves to go get the ball. He's a great Packer. He makes our running game better just by stepping foot on the field. I wouldn't call it the Randy Moss effect, but the Tony Gonzalez effect in his prime. . . . He's starting to look that way.

Gonzalez height weight

Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) Weight: 243 lb (110 kg)

Finely height weight

Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) Weight: 240 lb

If healthy, Finley is THE elite TE in football. Jordy has been perfecting the fade. Finley already has it. Wells Sitton Bulaga look like the first side of a Packers OL since Flanagan, Rivera, Tauscher that can grade the way to the endzone in the redzone. Rodgers is an elite QB and has the skills to run it in too. We're going to be an unstoppable force in the redzone and all over.

ND72
08-13-2011, 08:41 AM
He's in the perfect position in this offense. Tight Receiver.

Just the way I like it.

Upnorth
08-13-2011, 09:14 AM
I would like to see Finley do most of his work inside, and occasionally motion outside. THat will typically pull a saftey out with him, making less traffic in the box. Effective passing game helping to make an effective run game. He is a huge passing asset when in route, but I do wish he was better at run and pass blocking. That would make him truly elite.

ThunderDan
08-13-2011, 10:03 AM
I think we are going to see a lot of Jennings, Jones and Finley running fly patterns this year. That will take 5 DBs 10+ yards down the field and then you are going to see a lot of DD and Cobb running crossing routes underneath. I think you are going to see a lot of YAC this year because we are going to be able to hit whoever we want across the middle 1-on-1 with LBs and Dime backs covering.

Even if Finley never caught a ball in this offense, his ability to run a fly between the safeties and get to the house will stretch the coverage and benefit the Nelsons, Jones, DDs and Cobbs on the team.

Defenses are going to have to double Jennings and Finley.

bobblehead
08-13-2011, 11:29 AM
bobblehead, I'm going to go ahead and be a dick here. . . .

You're fucking crazy if you don't think Jermichael Finley is an awesome addition to our offense. First of all, he blocks with heart, technique and he's pretty alright at it. Finley is a tough football player. He loves contact. He loves to go get the ball. He's a great Packer. He makes our running game better just by stepping foot on the field. I wouldn't call it the Randy Moss effect, but the Tony Gonzalez effect in his prime. . . . He's starting to look that way.

Gonzalez height weight

Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) Weight: 243 lb (110 kg)

Finely height weight

Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) Weight: 240 lb

If healthy, Finley is THE elite TE in football. Jordy has been perfecting the fade. Finley already has it. Wells Sitton Bulaga look like the first side of a Packers OL since Flanagan, Rivera, Tauscher that can grade the way to the endzone in the redzone. Rodgers is an elite QB and has the skills to run it in too. We're going to be an unstoppable force in the redzone and all over.

I wish you would quote me when you are "being a dick". I agree with almost everything you say here. I don't think you are being a dick by expressing your opinion, I'm just not sure where you think we disagree.

bobblehead
08-13-2011, 11:33 AM
These stats are misleading. We got out to two TD leads in all three games. The other teams barely ran the ball, and we barely ran the ball until we got the big lead (except for the Philly game). We mostly came out throwing the ball early in those games, got the lead, and then ran a lot (although not all that efficiently).

Show me the breakdown of stats by quarter, or better by what the score was when we got them. In Philadelphia we imposed our will.

RashanGary
08-13-2011, 02:31 PM
bobblehead, if I remember correctly, you've been going on for some time about Finley not being a good blocker.

Really though, it's a non issue. The guy might be the most dominant pass catcher I've ever seen. in a Packer uniform since Sterling Sharpe. On top of that, he blocks with heart. Every time we're passing, Finley should be going out for a route. Every time we're running, he should be blocking his heart out. He does both. Non issue. Finley is a superstar.

240, 250, 260. . . . .

Finley says he's stronger now than he was last year, faster, more athletic. The guy is a fucking beast. I don't know why we're talking about his blocking.

bobblehead
08-13-2011, 02:45 PM
bobblehead, if I remember correctly, you've been going on for some time about Finley not being a good blocker.

Really though, it's a non issue. The guy might be the most dominant pass catcher I've ever seen. in a Packer uniform since Sterling Sharpe. On top of that, he blocks with heart. Every time we're passing, Finley should be going out for a route. Every time we're running, he should be blocking his heart out. He does both. Non issue. Finley is a superstar.

240, 250, 260. . . . .

Finley says he's stronger now than he was last year, faster, more athletic. The guy is a fucking beast. I don't know why we're talking about his blocking.

Not quite the point I was trying to make. I was generalizing about the TE position. Finley is an average and willing blocker as you said. If he can't block at 240, then he should slim down to 225 and play WR, but that is to be seen. I have no problem with JF, he is a game changer and I was on his jock before most.

I agree again with your post here except that I don't think he is dominant at pass catching in the way many WR are, but its ok as he is a TE.

Again, so people understand me, I have no problem with him as a blocker, he is adequate. I was more talking about guys like Quarless that need to improve at blocking and Crabtree that needs to be serviceable as a receiver. Finley is big enough to get in LBers way and manhandle CB...that is ideal TE.

gbgary
08-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Jermichael Finley, TE or WR?

yes!

pbmax
08-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Remember back when TE's used to block people sometimes?

I knew you were Mark Bavaro.

Harlan Huckleby
08-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I think Finley is one of the most over-praised stars in the history of the NFL. I'm not saying he's over-rated, because maybe he really is the best TE in football. But his star has glimmered for what - about 2 months? He was only dominant for the second half of his second year in the league. I got to see a couple years of great play before I put him on the highway to Canton.

pbmax
08-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Finley is far more valuable as a TE than WR. As a TE, he might draw a safety with better than average coverage ability or double coverage with S and an LB. As a WR, even operating out of the slot, he would draw far better cover men. That would reduce his advantage to height. And that is not enough to be a top flight WR. He can be much better than Harold Carmichael if he stays at TE.

Smidgeon
08-14-2011, 12:01 AM
I think we are going to see a lot of Jennings, Jones and Finley running fly patterns this year. That will take 5 DBs 10+ yards down the field and then you are going to see a lot of DD and Cobb running crossing routes underneath. I think you are going to see a lot of YAC this year because we are going to be able to hit whoever we want across the middle 1-on-1 with LBs and Dime backs covering.

Even if Finley never caught a ball in this offense, his ability to run a fly between the safeties and get to the house will stretch the coverage and benefit the Nelsons, Jones, DDs and Cobbs on the team.

Defenses are going to have to double Jennings and Finley.

What does Jordy get to do? ;)