PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Action

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Man, I watched the first part of the NE-Jax game. Blaine Gabbert didn't pass the eye test for me. Nothing about his game looked good. His arm strength wasn't impressive. His footwork was terrible. He was inaccurate. If I had to call his future based on what I saw tonight, I'm calling bust.

Philly's defense looked great early. Trent Cole was harrassing the hell out of Flacco, and Flacco had few open receivers. Philly does look talented, but my gut tells me something goes wrong for them (Mike Vick injury maybe; Vince Young and his awful throwing motion wasn't overly impressive to me), and they disappoint.

Bretsky
08-12-2011, 11:34 PM
GREAT THREAD IDEA; post things that stick out to you in the preseason. Can be valuable for fantasy football guys or just to keep up on things.

The one thing that stood out to me

MATT STAFFORD

dude looked really good.....really good

anything else stick out ??

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2011, 12:23 AM
All I watched was the first couple of series in those two games, but I have all of the games lined up to be DVR'd as the NFL Network airs them. :)

Brando19
08-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Phillip Rivers to Vincent Jackson...they looked awesome. That's a pair to watch especially for Fantasy Football. Also, Julio Jones is a beast. He could be a sleeper.

Upnorth
08-13-2011, 09:30 AM
What I love about preseason is some of the hilarious broke plays and coverages. I used to get excited or worked up about it, but now I try to focus on one or two players and see how they are doing. The qb's I'm following are stafford and mcnabb. I hate to see stafford play well, but did he ever look comfortable to me. His footwork seemed solid and he did not bounce in the pocket like last year. I expect Mcnabb to be as effective on sunday as he was last night.

smuggler
08-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Speaking of gimmicks in the preseason... The saints sacked the 49ers QBs 6 times in the 1st half!

Upnorth
08-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Oh and fwiw I was really impressed with dalton for the bengals. Facing a keyed up lions d (I think the lions d line is the strenght of the team and top 5 in league) he did some positive things. First snap of nfl career and a huge suh sack, yet he made something happen on his next passing play. Not bad.

Bretsky
08-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Upnorth.......did you watch the whole Bengal game ? I'm curious as to whether Cindy is going to use their Shipley like Wes Welker. He could be a sleeper in a PPR league

Bretsky
08-14-2011, 12:17 AM
some guys in here really liked Stevan Ridley; I think Lurker was a pusher

He looked outstanding for Hoody....hmm...........could Lurker be one of Hoody's scouts ????

Bretsky
08-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Colt McCoy looked pretty good against our D

Bretsky
08-14-2011, 12:23 AM
CONGRADS TO LANCE KENDRICKS, future FFL Star for the Rams, on his FIRST NFL TD

Upnorth
08-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Brestky, do you think he has the hands? I must admit I did not pay enough attention, but to draw comparisons to welker is high praise.

Bretsky
08-14-2011, 10:40 AM
he has good hands.........I just don't know if the QB is there or his route running is near as crisp as Welkers....but he'll get lots of chances

RashanGary
08-14-2011, 11:49 AM
I like McCoy alot. His head, his throwing, his legs. . . He had rhythm, command and made some great throws. He looked calm, ready, in control.

He'll go through growing pains when defenses mix it up on him, but he's bigger than the preseason. Looking guys off, a beautiful pass deep down the seam. A beautiful pass to Cribbs in the endzone. I don't see any reason why he won't improve to be good in the regular season too. Reminds me of AR early in his career. He's on the ball and has all of the tools.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I might have been wrong about the Lions. Stafford looks like a good QB and they are getting better in a hurry.

Guiness
08-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh and fwiw I was really impressed with dalton for the bengals. Facing a keyed up lions d (I think the lions d line is the strenght of the team and top 5 in league) he did some positive things. First snap of nfl career and a huge suh sack, yet he made something happen on his next passing play. Not bad.

I saw a writeup for that game, and a few things made me laugh.

It raved about Stafford getting on and off the field uninjured...he might have been in for 2 offensive series, but they totaled exactly 5 minutes of field time for him! OMG, our QB lasted 5 minutes without getting injured!!!! lol

Have to wonder if the younger Palmer was only in Cincy to appease Carson? Wasn't he 2nd string last year? Looks like he's 4th this preseason, and not much more than an afterthought.

Upnorth
08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I saw a writeup for that game, and a few things made me laugh.

It raved about Stafford getting on and off the field uninjured...he might have been in for 2 offensive series, but they totaled exactly 5 minutes of field time for him! OMG, our QB lasted 5 minutes without getting injured!!!! lol

Have to wonder if the younger Palmer was only in Cincy to appease Carson? Wasn't he 2nd string last year? Looks like he's 4th this preseason, and not much more than an afterthought.

When I read that bit about Stafford I asumed it was tounge in cheek, if not that guy needs a hobby.

Guiness
08-14-2011, 02:45 PM
When I read that bit about Stafford I asumed it was tounge in cheek, if not that guy needs a hobby.

You could be right, and probably are. It is expected for the starters to play a series or two at most in the first preseason game...and he did play 2.

easy cheesy
08-14-2011, 03:11 PM

McCoy looked outstanding actually. Nine of Ten for 135 yards or so.... including a TD... he is incredibly mobile as well, as much as I would like to, I can't hate on that! ***sigh** Colt McCoy... of COURSE there is a potentially stellar Quarterback out of Texas with a name like Colt McCoy... damn Texas... :) Meanwhile, Seattle has Tevaris Jackson.... that's kinda like Charlie Brown "trick or treating" and coming to the harsh realization that..... "I got a rock".... not a good thing...

meanwhile... Cam Newton is still black...

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Hey, I've been on the McCoy bandwagon since last April. I had him as the second best QB last year--behind Bradford.