PDA

View Full Version : Official "Jump to Conclusions Based on the First Preseason Game Thread"

Lurker64
08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Random observations extrapolated further than they should be taken.

- Ellmore, Guy, and Schlauderaff get cut. Only Guy is moved to the PS if he clears waivers. Elmore was outplayed by undrafted Lattimore and So'Oto, and Schlauderaff was a hot mess. So'Oto is probably the one of those you don't want to get away, though if Lattimore can add 20 lbs without losing his speed and learn the position, he could play for this team.

- Quinn Johnson is cut, but we keep 5 TEs. That's a net gain of one roster spot from last year's 3 FB, 4 TE.

- We have three receivers who won't make the roster, but you hope to get through waivers: West, Gurley, and Borel. West is the most likely to get claimed, since he's closest to playing but Gurley and Borel have tools that you want to develop. All of the other WRs, other than the core 5, you can cut.

- Pat Lee is done with this team. Thankfully we have five CBs (Williams, Woodson, Shields, House, Bush) better than him. There's a room for a sixth CB, but any of those undrafted guys (Ross, Gordy) have a better shot at it than Lee.

- Cobb should be returning kickoffs. I don't care if Slocum wants an RB back there, that job should go to Cobb.

- I don't think Smithson's game translates to the pros at all. He was a player in college who was more productive than his skillset would suggest. The question was always "will it carry over to the pros" to which I say "nope."

- The competition for "fourth safety" is actually one of the more interesting ones in camp. Both Levine and Dr. Jennings played pretty well. Underwood is probably gone, but we should at least give him a chance to play before we sign his pink slip.

- The backup center is McDonald, EDS doesn't make the roster.

- No matter who wins the LG spot between Sherrod and Lang, we'll be at least okay there.

- If Bulaga gets hurt, RT could be an issue. Newhouse really struggled reversing the footwork, which I think is probably reasonable since he's never played on the right side before. Maybe Tauscher will stay in football shape in case we need him.

Anybody else want to overreact based on limited data?

mission
08-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Nice post. Agree with just about everything. I did my version in the game thread... I'm sure a lot will change after the next game but it's fun to follow even this early.

Cobb is the man.

gbpackfan
08-13-2011, 11:48 PM
We can't afford to trade Flynn. Harrell was a mess. Ball security was brutal.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-13-2011, 11:50 PM
I did my vision in the game day thread as well. Here is my thoughts.....

I kind of like Lang over Sherrod at guard. If something happens to Clifton during the season I would rather have Sherrod take his spot.

Still, the offense has a couple question marks:

- Will Clifton hold up for the whole year?
- Who is going to start at FB? Johnson looked bad tonight.
- Who is going to handle third down pass blocking?
- How will the offense function with Finley back?
- Who else can we rely on as a back up on the oline other than Lang/Sherrod (who ever loses)?

Defense:

- I love Woodson, Williams, and Shields, but after that I don't like the CB's. Bush hasn't got better and Lee looked bad. I really hope House comes out and suprises us.
- I like what I saw in Burnett. I feel good with Peprah as the back-up. That Levine guy didn't look to bad either.
- Like Hawk and Bishop starting. I think Jones could be a decent backup ILB. I didn't like Jones at OLB. I would rather see Zombo or Walden starting.
- Dline: the weakest area of the team. Raji is a great player. Pickett is a great run defender, but can't rush the passer. Neal flashed a couple times, but can he stay healthy? I don't really like anyone else. Wish we had another decent player we could count on in there. I honestly believe TT will suprise people and make a trade in a couple weeks.

Sp. teams:

- Look much improved.
- Cobb is just a natural return man. Looks like a player already.
- Masthay is the most UNDER rated player on the whole team. I honestly believe he is a pro bowler.
- New rule plus Crosby's leg will help the kick return unit significantly. And Masthay will help the punt return unit.

Lurker64
08-13-2011, 11:52 PM

You can't really get anything for Flynn right now anyway. No team is going to be trading for a QB after a preseason game has already been played for anything other than a backup, and who's going to give up a lot for a backup QB. What would be so valuable that we'd give up our backup QB to go be a backup QB for someone else? You can trade other positions at roster cutdown time, just not QBs. QBs very much are not "plug and play."

I also thought I should make it clear when I say "5 TEs make the roster" I mean "Finley, Quarless, Crabtree, Williams, Taylor". Havner, though all he does is catch touchdowns, doesn't make the cut. We have other people that catch touchdowns and also do other things.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Agreed, we don't trade Flynn. I really liked how he came out and played. The front seven of the defense did not impress me at all. We may need to add a player there. TT has shown that he is willing to consider trades (ala Grant) when a position looks weak. The Lbs are the same as last year, but the dline looks weak.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Oh and Starks is going to start.....beaaaast. I think I like Kuhn taking over Jackson's role on third downs.

gbpackfan
08-14-2011, 12:00 AM
The pass rush looked pretty bad. Do we only have one true pass rusher now? Yikes.

Lurker64
08-14-2011, 12:03 AM
The pass rush looked pretty bad. Do we only have one true pass rusher now? Yikes.

That's something I'm not prepared to overreact on, honestly. I think Dom was calling a pretty vanilla game and didn't scheme specifically for the Browns, but the other candidates to start at OLB certainly didn't impress. Also, the Browns pass protect pretty well to begin with.

gbpackfan
08-14-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm trying to get into the spirit of the thread Lurker! JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS! :-)

Bretsky
08-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I don't take much out of the first game

Cobb is going to be good though

I hope DD goes out peacefully. We resign Nelson next year and don't really need Driver but my gut tells me he will want to play for a few years

Lurker64
08-14-2011, 12:56 AM

You're not getting into the spirit of jumping to conclusions.

There wasn't anything you saw in the first preseason game that allows you to irresponsibly project the entirety of a player's season or career?

Bretsky
08-14-2011, 02:06 AM
yes, Cobb is going to be good :)

imscott72
08-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Cobb is going to be good though

I hope DD goes out peacefully. We resign Nelson next year and don't really need Driver but my gut tells me he will want to play for a few years

Love Cobb. Our version of Percy Harvin. I think DD is still going to be serviceable for this year. Good review Bretsky, I agree with most everything. Can't wait for Friday already.

vince
08-14-2011, 07:52 AM
In the spirit of jumping to conclusions...
- If it's possible to have a weapon at the punter position, the Packers have one. He seems to have the Australian pooch punt perfected along with a very big leg.
- Starks looks better than Grant.
- Newhouse has to be able to play on the right side or he's in trouble, although I'm not sure there's anyone else either. Behind the top 7 or so, there remains a lot of work to do on the o-line.
- Lee and Bush did nothing to encourage optimism. I hope House's hammy heals quickly because he's the #4 guy there.
- Burnett laying the wood was encouraging.
- It was good to see the no-huddle work well.
- Cobb is going to learn how to separate a bit better at receiver, and he's going to be a serious weapon. Driver still looks pretty good too though.
- With the king of ball security Edgar Bennett at receivers coach, Jones will demonstrate greater reliability catching and hanging onto the ball after the catch or his opportunities will diminish.
- Saine showed promise, but there isn't room for him on the roster.
- Flynn looked good. Harrell flashed good and bad. He's not ready for primetime yet.
- That Rodgers guy could be good this year.
- I'm pulling for Shaky because of what he's overcome, but he doesn't look like he's fast enough to make it.
- D.J. Williams, Quarless and Taylor all had decent games catching the ball. Did Crabtree even play?

Scott Campbell
08-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Harrell has the accuracy of Derek Anderson.

Lurker64
08-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Did Crabtree even play?

I remember Crabtree, from the H-Back spot, applying a crushing block to either Rubin or Taylor (guys who outweigh him significantly, and it was practically a decleater) and he caught a pass (both of these were in the second quarter or late first). But after the game McCarthy said he was hurt with "ribs" so I think that's why they took him out.

Joemailman
08-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Marshall Newhouse can't handle speed rushers.
Looks like another injury-plagued year for Finley.
Randall Cobb is the next Greg Jennings.
James Starks will be the starting RB.
Packers have no pass rush.
Pat Lee can't cover or tackle.
Morgan Burnett is the next Leroy Butler.
Spencer Havner is back.

vince
08-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Spencer Havner is back.
That's some quality conclusion jumping Joe! :tup:

Upnorth
08-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Flynn will have a career at least as good as hasselbeck.
Cobb and burnett will be playing in the probowl in three years
Lee will be at the probowl in 3 years to serve hotdogs.
Ted leaves dl alone, dom makes them one of the best in league.
The game day thread will become much more manic depressive when the regular season starts.
Most important conclusion I see is we have a very good shot to win the superbowl!

One from the bears game, if cutler makes it through the season he might set the sack record.
One from the lions game, suh will collect lots of fines
One from the queens game, allen becomes a drunk wondering what the hell happened to the d.

Tony Oday
08-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Without Dom our d sucks
Jennings, Jones, DD, Nelson, Finley and Cobb? Wtf how do you get them all touches?
Packers will start slow this season aka first drive and then succeed later Alan aka the second drive.

rbaloha1
08-14-2011, 09:44 AM
1. Cobb makes DD expendable next season.

2. Sherrod looks better as a left tackle. Modern lt long with nice footwork -- very agile.

3. Lang should start at lg -- nasty mauler and finisher.

4. Flynn should not be traded.

5. Starks should be the starter.

6. QJ has improved -- more consistent and less whiffs. IMO roster spot shall be determined if backup tes can block and play st.

7. Crabtree does not make the roster.

8. Burnett is the starter and is the next Sharper.

9. Brad Jones looks lost and may not make the roster.

10. DJ Smith is a capable backup.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2011, 10:08 AM

come on, the squads Harrell played with were brutal. Just a ragged mess.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2011, 10:41 AM
The Lbs are the same as last year, but the dline looks weak.
To be fair, I think the Dline had no pass rush in preseason last year as well. Maybe it is the vanilla factor.

The Packer's NFC rival getting Jenkins for cheap is going to stick in the craw all year. Well, unless Jenkins gets hurt, then we can gloat.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2011, 10:56 AM
To be fair, I think the Dline had no pass rush in preseason last year as well. Maybe it is the vanilla factor.

The Packer's NFC rival getting Jenkins for cheap is going to stick in the craw all year. Well, unless Jenkins gets hurt, then we can gloat.

I predict the packers will have Johnny Jolly change his name to Lawrence Guy, proceed to cut the real Lawrence Guy, and have Jolly take his spot. Wait is Guy white?

RashanGary
08-14-2011, 11:39 AM
OL

Bulaga/Sitton paved the way for Starks. Starks had holes to run through.
McDonald > Dietrich-Smith
Sherrod = Lang at guard
Sherrod = Lang at tackle
Sherrod = Higher upside
I don't think playing Sherrod at guard is going to hurt him. He could win it.
Obviously Newhouse struggled at RT
Shlaudershit sucks.

TE
Ryan Taylor helped himself.

WR
Cobb obviously
Borel looked good
West didn't stand out to me
Gurley looked alright, but no explosiveness. I don't like him.
The rest, blah

RB
Starks ran well
Grant ran well
Nance looked like cement shoes herron

QB
Flynn looked good
Hard to tell with Harrell. Slaudershit was a mess.

DL
Guy > Wynn. That's all I got

LB
So'oto looked good against the run and had some explosiveness. That's all I got.

S
Burnett looked like he was playing fast at times.
MD Jennings flashed with that pick.

CB
Lee is gone
Bush still stinks at CB (in defense of bush and lee, we didn't even attempt to rush the passer)
Gordy looks like he understands where his help is. He jumped that route. He makes the team.
Ross didn't play, but he's said to be a very smart player. He beats underwood, who I believe sucks ass.

Masthay rocks.
Crosby looked fine
Cobb looked quick and decisive
Loved Cobbs late grab of that punt. Shows great feel for space and for the ball.
Didn't notice the snapper. That means he was perfect.

Oh, and Quinn Johnson got blown up by a backup LB. He fucking sucks. He can't do anything. Can't catch, can't run, can't block on the move and he's not even good blocking straight ahead. Can't play ST's. He sucks. Just pure horse shit.

RashanGary
08-14-2011, 11:46 AM
If Quinn Johnson makes this team, I'm going to burn Thompsons house down.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I think Quinn Johnson is on a distingusihed road and has a reputation beyond repute.

King Friday
08-14-2011, 01:57 PM
We have room for considerable improvement in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

We may have a good starting OL, but our depth is lacking. Heaven forbid a couple guys go down for significant time, because it will spell doom for our offense. Sherrod is not a guard, and since he clearly is no better at LG than Lang is I would much rather have him learning LT because the chances Clifton makes it through the year without injury are less than 5%.

DL looks average. Raji is a nice player, but he needs some guys on the edge who can at least provide SOME threat of collapsing the pocket or he will get wore down facing double teams every down. I'm not convinced we have the horses up front to rush the passer as consistently as we need to. You can't rush 7 guys as often as we did in the first quarter and not even get a sniff of what fabric softener the QB used on his jersey. The pass rush last night was pathetic. I know the Browns have an above average OL, but still.

I love the depth of skill position players on offense. It will allow the Packers to effectively rotate players to keep them fresh, which should pay off in the 4th quarter of close games. None of them are going to put up huge numbers individually, but the offense should be a top 5 unit if the OL stays reasonably healthy like last season. Cobb is going to be an impact player early in his career, much like Jennings. Driver will remain a starter, but I expect Cobb will be on the field just as much as DD by the midpoint of the season. I think they will be good for each other. Cobb has very similar traits to Driver, so he can learn a lot from him. Cobb's presence should help Driver stay healthy for the entire season. Win-win for the Packers.

There are some minor concerns about depth at LB and secondary, but I think we have enough to survive a typical amount of injuries without negative impact. We didn't have a ton of stupid penalties, which is a great sign for preseason game #1.

pbmax
08-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Chris Campbell was out last night with a knee so that is probably why Newhouse spent so much time at RT. But this raises an interesting question:

If Campbell doesn't make the squad, does that make Newhouse the backup RT? Because he looked terrible over there. Does Campbell have a shot at making the 53?

Clifton, Lang, Sherrod, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, McDonald. That's eight that I consider safe. Who is next?

pbmax
08-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I am less hopeful on Lee than Bush at CB. Bush was playing outside when his strength is inside. He will be fine as the last CB or the 2nd slot CB.

Lee was outside and that was supposed to be his forte. And he was still getting beat.

There was little pressure on the Browns QB, but it was disconcerting.

Guiness
08-14-2011, 02:26 PM
A few people have hit on it, and I saw it as well - RT could be a problem. I thought Bulaga might get some reps at LT but I don't know how that could possibly happen now. I had a flashback to Allen Barbre at RT there for a bit *shudder*
Better hope he's a warrior the way Tauscher was for years.

Someone said this is Clifton's last year. Maybe, but for some reason I'm not so worried. Last preseason, I think it was Patler that said 'there may not be enough tape in the trainer's bag to hold him together for anther year'. Yes, we need to continue to look for our next LT, but I think Clifton will show up again this year. Tape and all.

Taylor did help himself, and made some good grabs, but he was pretty wide open on at least a couple of those. I didn't notice so much blocking out of him, but I still think he gets promoted a squad and we see him against some better competition, with Flynn throwing to him.

TE is definitely going to be the most interesting competition. A lot of bodies, all looking good there. I happen to like Crabtree a lot, and think many are counting him out too soon. I'm going to get a clip of the block Lurker mentioned above and put it in my sig...

Wasn't paying enough attention to Lee, and should have been. The announcers were pretty bad at not giving names, so it was hard to figure out what was going on at times.

Joemailman
08-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Chris Campbell was out last night with a knee so that is probably why Newhouse spent so much time at RT. But this raises an interesting question:

If Campbell doesn't make the squad, does that make Newhouse the backup RT? Because he looked terrible over there. Does Campbell have a shot at making the 53?

Clifton, Lang, Sherrod, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, McDonald. That's eight that I consider safe. Who is next?

You would think Campbell's chances improved a bit. Was Newhouse's performance a result of a guy having trouble switching sides? Bulaga talked about how everything you do is reversed when you switch from LT to RT. If so, perhaps he just needs more reps there. If Bulaga were to be injured, I suppose moving Lang there would also be a possibility, although then you're getting into a musical chairs situation on the OL again.

Lurker64
08-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Somebody who demonstrates that he can backup RT and another position pretty much assures himself a roster spot. My hope is that Newhouse just struggled reversing the footwork, and that he could pick that up if he worked at it. Otherwise, I think we have to hope that Bulaga stays healthy (Bulaga looks great for what it's worth.)

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2011, 03:26 PM

3 backups who can play is pretty good depth. They'll add one more developmental guy on the active roster. The O-line depth looks acceptable.

I did some thinking - always a dangerous proposition - and I came up with my new magic forumula for the O-line: I think they should keep Newhouse strictly as backup RT, start Lang at LG, and give Sherrod significant playing time at LT throughout the season. By that I mean he gets about 1/4 of the snaps. It will keep Clifton fresher, maximize the skills of the players, and provide greatest stability. Of course my idea is unlikely to happen, they just don't like sharing jobs in the NFL on the OL. Most likely they will start Sherrod at LG and continue the merry-go-round, which is OK.

Guiness
08-14-2011, 04:08 PM
3 backups who can play is pretty good depth. They'll add one more developmental guy on the active roster. The O-line depth looks acceptable.

I did some thinking - always a dangerous proposition - and I came up with my new magic forumula for the O-line: I think they should keep Newhouse strictly as backup RT, start Lang at LG, and give Sherrod significant playing time at LT throughout the season. By that I mean he gets about 1/4 of the snaps. It will keep Clifton fresher, maximize the skills of the players, and provide greatest stability. Of course my idea is unlikely to happen, they just don't like sharing jobs in the NFL on the OL. Most likely they will start Sherrod at LG and continue the merry-go-round, which is OK.

You're right, it just doesn't happen. Is it a holdover sentiment? I remember Marco saying he would just not come out, he had to be in there to protect Favre.

A lot of other positions in the NFL platoon. A lot of team's have a platoon at RB instead of a feature back - we will probably be one of them this year. DL are rotated out based on down and distance. TE's as the situation demands - even taking them out to put in an extra tackle, a la U-72. What's so special about OL that you can't sub someone in to give a guy a blow? But you never see it.

I suspect out OL guys, pbmax and KY will chime in with a post enlightening us about the need for chemistry and continuity. And, being as I played db and am probably too light to play OL on a middle school team, they're probably right.

gbgary
08-14-2011, 04:43 PM
That's some quality conclusion jumping Joe! :tup:

this made me laugh.

Ballboy
08-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I had hopes for Lee, but he played really bad. Unless a 180 happens, he will be done.

I didnt like the constant switching of Lang and Sherrod; they did this most likely because of no off season and limited hitting practices.

I liked Cobb on PR and KR, and I guess he did OK at WR....he caught the balls thrown to him by AR and MF, but I didnt really see much run after the catch which is what I was looking for....we have plenty that can catch the ball, but what you do with it after the catch is what I was looking for.

Starks played well.

DL is an issue, simply no pressure at all. Im sure Dom didnt put in many blitzes, but they showed nothing at all. I thought Guy played good, he seemed to be the only one at the end getting a push(he was #91 right?)

gbpackfan
08-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Spencer Havner is back.

BAM! That. Just. Happened!

gbpackfan
08-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Lang is better than Sherrod at LG

KYPack
08-14-2011, 07:04 PM
You're right, it just doesn't happen. Is it a holdover sentiment? I remember Marco saying he would just not come out, he had to be in there to protect Favre.

A lot of other positions in the NFL platoon. A lot of team's have a platoon at RB instead of a feature back - we will probably be one of them this year. DL are rotated out based on down and distance. TE's as the situation demands - even taking them out to put in an extra tackle, a la U-72. What's so special about OL that you can't sub someone in to give a guy a blow? But you never see it.

I suspect out OL guys, pbmax and KY will chime in with a post enlightening us about the need for chemistry and continuity. And, being as I played db and am probably too light to play OL on a middle school team, they're probably right.

OmiGod! I agree with Harlan here, that can't be right, is it? I think Lang and Sherrod are good ones. Lang is your starter and Sherrod can fill at two left OL spots. Both of these guys have really good footwork. In the first half, the Brown RDE tried one of those "banana" edge moves. Sherrod stayed cool and moved right with the guy. He made 3 excellent slide steps and then checked the DE on the backside of the QB. He's a kid, but he's got the makings of an good LT someday.

Lang is the better OG. He has a better grasp of the job. He favors the inside on pass pro and is pretty aggressive. That said, he gets to the second level quickly and goes right at the defenders. I think if he was healthy last year, he may have knocked Colledge out of the job then.

I like our chances with these two kids.

Yes, I'd be one to give the "continuity-teamwork" sermon, 'cause I believe it. Identify these two guy's jobs and stick them in some spots. Quit flippin' 'em around, dammit!

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Lang is better than Sherrod at LG

I haven't seen anything that makes me believe this is true. But for sure Sherrod belongs at LT. I was more enthusiastic about Sherrod working at guard when it looked like Newhouse was a solid LT backup. Maybe I'm overreacting to a couple bad plays, but Newhouse didn't look like a sure thing for LT last night.

gbgary
08-14-2011, 09:59 PM
this is the jump to conclusions based on one preseason game thread...so on that i'll say the defense sucks and if it can't stop colt mccoy or seneca wallace they're not going to stop anyone. the offense on the other hand won't be stopped unless we're down to third string harrel. i reserve the right to jump to different conclusions based on our next preseason game and so on.

pbmax
08-14-2011, 11:29 PM
OmiGod! I agree with Harlan here, that can't be right, is it? I think Lang and Sherrod are good ones. Lang is your starter and Sherrod can fill at two left OL spots. Both of these guys have really good footwork. In the first half, the Brown RDE tried one of those "banana" edge moves. Sherrod stayed cool and moved right with the guy. He made 3 excellent slide steps and then checked the DE on the backside of the QB. He's a kid, but he's got the makings of an good LT someday.

Lang is the better OG. He has a better grasp of the job. He favors the inside on pass pro and is pretty aggressive. That said, he gets to the second level quickly and goes right at the defenders. I think if he was healthy last year, he may have knocked Colledge out of the job then.

Yes, I'd be one to give the "continuity-teamwork" sermon, 'cause I believe it. Identify these two guy's jobs and stick them in some spots. Quit flippin' 'em around, dammit!

OK, so most seem on board (so far) for Clifton, Lang, Sherrod, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, McDonald as the first eight. That is also the game day actives (if Lurker is right and I have no reason to doubt him, you have 5 starters and three backups active).

The is at least one, possibly two other spots open. I think Schlauderhauff might be it based on draft status and the next in line would be Campbell for tackle purposes. Roster has 5 bodies to play 2 guards and center. Five for tackle rounds that out nicely.

As for giving Cliffy breathers, the less you play O line, the worse you play O line. We have seen before when Clifton is struggling with injuries or sore knees, he actually gets worse the less he practices. Less game time might make him less tired but less effective. For that reason and KY's continuity point, swapping players isn't popular. Some of it though, is just common practice. Outside of sixth lineman formations, subs simply have never been used to, say, get a better run blocker in the game for short yardage.

Might be the next big thing. But coaches will resist.

pbmax
08-14-2011, 11:30 PM
As for jumping to conclusions, for the sixth straight year, the pass rush worries me. I have been right 4 of 6 times.

bobblehead
08-14-2011, 11:53 PM
You're not getting into the spirit of jumping to conclusions.

There wasn't anything you saw in the first preseason game that allows you to irresponsibly project the entirety of a player's season or career?

Ok, time to jump to conclusions:

I am smarter than TT cuz I would have cut Grant. He didn't impress me but Starks did. I would rather have resigned BJack to stay as the 3rd down back and dropped Grant.

TT can't draft CB's for shit. He should stick to UFA's and regular FA's. We have 3 studs and several duds....at least Bush can play ST's.

Time to give Lang the majority of snaps at LG. Sherrod is a left tackle. Not sure what Newhouse is, but having too many LT's is a great problem.

Flynn will be a very good starter in this league...better than Hasselbeck. I'll call him Pennington with an arm.

Quinn Johnson is done, but we might get a 7th for him from a team that likes that kind of FB.

We are going to have identity crisis as Tom Crabtree lines up at FB quite often.

bobblehead
08-14-2011, 11:54 PM
I predict the packers will have Johnny Jolly change his name to Lawrence Guy, proceed to cut the real Lawrence Guy, and have Jolly take his spot. Wait is Guy white?

2 words....tanning bed.

bobblehead
08-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Oh, and Quinn Johnson got blown up by a backup LB. He fucking sucks. He can't do anything. Can't catch, can't run, can't block on the move and he's not even good blocking straight ahead. Can't play ST's. He sucks. Just pure horse shit.

Can we call him "allen babre" curcuit 2011?

bobblehead
08-15-2011, 12:04 AM
You would think Campbell's chances improved a bit. Was Newhouse's performance a result of a guy having trouble switching sides? Bulaga talked about how everything you do is reversed when you switch from LT to RT. If so, perhaps he just needs more reps there. If Bulaga were to be injured, I suppose moving Lang there would also be a possibility, although then you're getting into a musical chairs situation on the OL again.

I played OL on the left side. I always had trouble on the right. For some reason I was so much better at riding speed rushers up the field and driving them wide from the left.

bobblehead
08-15-2011, 12:05 AM

Agree 100%. I've been saying sherrod just looks like a left tackle. He moves with grace. Lang is nastier....a much better trait for a guard.

Lurker64
08-15-2011, 12:34 AM
this is the jump to conclusions based on one preseason game thread...so on that i'll say the defense sucks and if it can't stop colt mccoy or seneca wallace they're not going to stop anyone.

Well, you have to jump to conclusions based on analysis of the actual evidence. So I will say that without Woodson, Williams, and Matthews, the defense isn't very promising.

vince
08-15-2011, 12:46 AM

I watched a good portion of the game again this morning. Newhouse gave up a sack and a pressure early on and then more or less settled in. The sack was pretty brutal, but could have been due to switching sides. He engaged the DE head on who promptly threw him aside on his way to the QB. It was in no way a speed move, but he could have got caught off balance due to switching sides. We'll see if he can adjust.

The second miscue he was responsible for was a mental mistake. He slid down to help the guard after a very quick 1/2 count, completely oblivious to the blitzer that came right off his back at just the moment he vacated his spot.

In fairness, Lang did pretty much the same thing on the other side on the fumble for a TD. Lang showed pretty good movement and aggressiveness though. Sherrod also had at least one missed assignment in pass protection when he failed to adjust to an inside stunt. so we'll see which of these guys can "clean that up" and how quickly.

Lurker64
08-15-2011, 01:14 AM
In fairness, Lang did pretty much the same thing on the other side on the fumble for a TD. Lang showed pretty good movement and aggressiveness though. Sherrod also had at least one missed assignment in pass protection when he failed to adjust to an inside stunt. so we'll see which of these guys can "clean that up" and how quickly.

Wasn't the ultimate fault on the fumble play a blown assignment by D.J. Williams playing from the H-Back spot? It sure seemed like he went inside to try to block a guy who was already blocked, allowing the outside rusher to go untouched. I can't say I know the blocking responsibilities on this play, but I know that "blocking somebody who's already being blocked, and leaving somebody else unblocked" is generally not what you're supposed to do in passing situations.

vince
08-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Wasn't the ultimate fault on the fumble play a blown assignment by D.J. Williams playing from the H-Back spot? It sure seemed like he went inside to try to block a guy who was already blocked, allowing the outside rusher to go untouched. I can't say I know the blocking responsibilities on this play, but I know that "blocking somebody who's already being blocked, and leaving somebody else unblocked" is generally not what you're supposed to do in passing situations.
Yeah that's possible, but Lang did the same thing you mentioned about Williams. It seems to me that Packer linemen often make on-the-fly adjustments to blitzes and stunts rather than locking onto the guy across from them and going wherever they go. The 5-tech pinched down into Sherrod and Lang followed him. If Lang had seen him (he didn't), it looked to me like he'd have stopped helping down on the guy that was engaged directly with Sherrod head up and picked up the blitzer who had a free lane around the edge. It's not as if the blitzer came from way outside. It was a bit of a delay by the LB, but I've seen Bulaga make that adjustment many times.

In any event, I'll jump away and say that Lang will adjust and Sherrod will back up the left side while Newhouse will back-up at RT. McDonald and EDS will back-up the interior. Campbell, Schlauderaff and maybe Dominguez (or Lattimore) to the PS, along with Borel, Westin, So'oto, Elmore and Gordy.

Lurker64
08-15-2011, 03:29 AM
In any event, I'll jump away and say that Lang will adjust and Sherrod will back up the left side while Newhouse will back-up at RT. McDonald and EDS will back-up the interior. Campbell, Schlauderaff and maybe Dominguez (or Lattimore) to the PS, along with Borel, Westin, So'oto, Elmore and Gordy.

I think Torey Gurley is worth keeping around on the Practice Squad, he's got something that none of our WRs have: he's 6'4 1/8". He's green and he doesn't really know what he's doing, but he's got the tools, and he's an insurance policy in case Nelson leaves, since I think McCarthy has always wanted a tall, fast WR. I'm not sure someone doesn't claim Chastin West,so that saves us from three WRs on the PS. When it comes to OLBs on the PS, I think So'oto and Lattimore have more promise than Elmore. If I'm jumping to conclusions after one game, I don't think Elmore really has a future in the NFL. It's not that he doesn't have skills, it's that he's not tough enough.

Gordy, I think, has an outside shot to make the roster. Depending on how many DBs you keep, and you usually keep a good number because these guys are useful on STs. Six CBs is plausible, and Williams, Woodson, Shields, and House are guaranteed a spot, Bush almost certainly takes up a spot because of his ST play, so there's a #6 CB spot available for Lee or Gordy (or Ross) if they can earn it.

Bossman641
08-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Colt McCoy will challenge for Offensive Player of the Year.

mraynrand
08-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Levine will make the squad, be on the field at least by game 2, and will make the pro bowl in year 3. Liked the kid's instincts and closing speed.

ThunderDan
08-15-2011, 08:12 AM

It was definitely on DJ WIlliams. The Packers always pick up blitzers inside to out. Wells, Lang, Sherrod picked up the inside right blitzers. To me it looked like Willams thought Lang was going to lose his battle and so he stepped up to seal the inside. Unfortunately a LB came with an outside blitz just as DJ moved up and left Harrell's blindside unprotected.

smuggler
08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Haha, that'd be great, but we have nowhere to put him!

imscott72
08-15-2011, 08:43 AM
I think Sherrod is going to be good, but I'm a bit nervous leaving Rodgers' blind side protected by a rookie..There are some scary pass rushers in this division for him to contend with his first NFL season.

mraynrand
08-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Haha, that'd be great, but we have nowhere to put him!

Accept it!!

http://www.wertel.pro/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

hoosier
08-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Didn't see the game so have no idea what Quinn Johnson did to get himself cut (at least on this board) so soon. But now that he is gone, my leap is the Packers now have no hope of establishing any sort of short yardage running game this season, so they will just pass on every third/fourth and short. And they will also be forced to let Kuhn go during the final cutdowns, since if you take away his short yardage prowess he's really only good for picking up seven yards on checkdowns once per game.

Brandon494
08-15-2011, 09:13 AM
When haven't we passed on 3rd/4th short yard situations? :) Also with Grant and Starks fully healthy we don't need Kuhn to run the ball anymore.

Fritz
08-15-2011, 09:36 AM
If Quinn Johnson makes this team, I'm going to burn Thompsons house down.

Come on, now, be nice. Just shoot his dog.

pbmax
08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
The breakdown of the Sherrod-Lang battle continues to be in the garbage, if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Fritz
08-15-2011, 10:00 AM
I just read it. Thanks for posting it!

vince
08-15-2011, 10:28 AM
I think Torey Gurley is worth keeping around on the Practice Squad, he's got something that none of our WRs have: he's 6'4 1/8". He's green and he doesn't really know what he's doing, but he's got the tools, and he's an insurance policy in case Nelson leaves, since I think McCarthy has always wanted a tall, fast WR. I'm not sure someone doesn't claim Chastin West,so that saves us from three WRs on the PS. When it comes to OLBs on the PS, I think So'oto and Lattimore have more promise than Elmore. If I'm jumping to conclusions after one game, I don't think Elmore really has a future in the NFL. It's not that he doesn't have skills, it's that he's not tough enough.

Gordy, I think, has an outside shot to make the roster. Depending on how many DBs you keep, and you usually keep a good number because these guys are useful on STs. Six CBs is plausible, and Williams, Woodson, Shields, and House are guaranteed a spot, Bush almost certainly takes up a spot because of his ST play, so there's a #6 CB spot available for Lee or Gordy (or Ross) if they can earn it.
I don't see much in Gurly other than size and the ability to catch the ball. He's not that fast. Ruvell Martin had both of those attributes too.

I thought Elmore looked too stiff and slow for sure, but Lattimore is 230 tops and I think you need to be a minimum of 240-245 to "embrace the violent physical nature of the game" the way Dom and Kevin Greene want you to play OLB. Hard to say what that kind of added weight would do to his speed rush and coverage skills. It doesn't look like adding size did much for Erik Walden's ability to cover.

Lee was suspect against the big and fast Josh Cribbs, but I'm not writing him off yet after one preseason game. He's no starting corner by any stretch, but I want to see more out of the undersized Gordy before anointing him a roster spot. If he continues to impress while Lee continues to be suspect, it'll become obvious. I'm just not sure yet personally.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2011, 10:28 AM
As for giving Cliffy breathers, the less you play O line, the worse you play O line. We have seen before when Clifton is struggling with injuries or sore knees, he actually gets worse the less he practices. Less game time might make him less tired but less effective. Guys get injured when they get tired. There is nothing so mystical about O-line that it is the only position in the world of sports where a player gets worse by resting for 10 minutes.

You are a disgrace.

bobblehead
08-15-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't see much in Gurly other than size and the ability to catch the ball. He's not that fast. Ruvell Martin had both of those attributes too.

I thought Elmore looked too stiff and slow for sure, but Lattimore is 230 tops and I think you need to be a minimum of 240-245 to "embrace the violent physical nature of the game" the way Dom and Kevin Greene want you to play OLB. Hard to say what that kind of added weight would do to his speed rush and coverage skills. It doesn't look like adding size did much for Erik Walden's ability to cover.

Lee was suspect against the big and fast Josh Cribbs, but I'm not writing him off yet after one preseason game. He's no starting corner by any stretch, but I want to see more out of the undersized Gordy before anointing him a roster spot. If he continues to impress while Lee continues to be suspect, it'll become obvious. I'm just not sure yet personally.

there you go NOT jumping to conclusions.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't see much in Gurly other than size and the ability to catch the ball. He's not that fast. Ruvell Martin had both of those attributes too .

Hah! I've been trying to remember Ruvell Martin's name for the last week. Yes, Gurly is Son of Martin. As I recall, somebody in this forum had a jones on for Ruvell, who was that? Ruvell Martin may even have had a misguided cult following here. Did Ruvell go to Seattle and become a starter? I know he landed somewhere.

pbmax
08-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Guys get injured when they get tired. There is nothing so mystical about O-line that it is the only position in the world of sports where a player gets worse by resting for 10 minutes.

You are a disgrace.

A disgrace, perhaps. But one with a memory. Cliffy's problems are not with pulls and hamstrings. Its cartilage and knees and I think I remember he had surgery on his arms oir shoulders or something. Not fatigue injuries.

Guiness
08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
A disgrace, perhaps. But one with a memory. Cliffy's problems are not with pulls and hamstrings. Its cartilage and knees and I think I remember he had surgery on his arms oir shoulders or something. Not fatigue injuries.

Now that you've enumerated Cliffy's problems, care to take a stab at Cleft's? :shock:

I openly admit I don't understand OL play. I'm just struggling to understand why it's a good idea for an OL to stay in all game, and run block in the 4th quarter against a DL who has been rotated out, and is relatively fresh.

That's the way it's always been, I guess. My only counter argument was that it was once thought you had to have a feature back, because he needed to get 'in the rhythm'. You don't hear anyone claiming that anymore.

RashanGary
08-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Sounds like Lang graded out better than Sherrod at guard. It's the ideal scenario if Lang can play at a high level and Sherrod can continue to work on technique and strength.

Sherrod is probably going to backup both LT and LG. That's OK though. If he gets a few weeks into the season, he should be ready to not suck ass.

Yoop
08-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Now that you've enumerated Cliffy's problems, care to take a stab at Cleft's? :shock:

I openly admit I don't understand OL play. I'm just struggling to understand why it's a good idea for an OL to stay in all game, and run block in the 4th quarter against a DL who has been rotated out, and is relatively fresh.

That's the way it's always been, I guess. My only counter argument was that it was once thought you had to have a feature back, because he needed to get 'in the rhythm'. You don't hear anyone claiming that anymore.

teamwork on the oline is more critical than any other position, and run blocking is the harder technique to learn and be good at as a unit, the longer the same players are together, the better the group becomes, as a player becomes familiar with the player next to him he learns his strengths and weakness, same with a feature RB, specially in a zone scheme, where timing on the cut back is the difference in a open lane or the back of your olineman at the LOS.

time playing together is usually the reason why it takes a oline 4 or 5 games to get in sync run blocking, the risk of injury is to great to cut block in practice, so they wait till PS and the season to do that stuff, and it takes a few games to iron out the wrinkles.

Yoop
08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Sounds like Lang graded out better than Sherrod at guard. It's the ideal scenario if Lang can play at a high level and Sherrod can continue to work on technique and strength.

Sherrod is probably going to backup both LT and LG. That's OK though. If he gets a few weeks into the season, he should be ready to not suck ass.

who's our best backup RT? Newhouse doesn't look to good, Campbell didn't play, could that person be Lang? could that be why McCarthy is giving every chance for Sherrod to win the spot, it would be back to switching two spots if Lang where our only guy that could anchor RT if Bulaga where to miss time, we would have to move him out and Sherrod back in at LG, I dont have a problem with that, but some would call it musical chairs again

Upnorth
08-15-2011, 03:12 PM
If sherrod is being groomed for LT then if sitton goes down plug in lang and let sherrod play LG. That way he can focus on left side only and does not need to add ride side into muscle memory.

pbmax
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM

O line are defending a line in partial retreat for pass blocking. In the run game, they know who they need to go after. Offensive players can conserve energy more quickly and with less impact on the play than defensive players. Assuming you aren't getting whipped, its more exhausting playing defense and chasing than O line.

Brandon494
08-15-2011, 04:10 PM
My guess is they put Newhouse in at RT because Sherrod will backup at LT and Lang will take the starting LG job.

3irty1
08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
My conclusions:

Are that Raji is the best FB on the roster.

Right after Pat Lee has a nice showing in the superbowl and I stick up for him he makes me look like a tard.

Nance is sssslllllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww.

Morgan Burnett can be Ed Reed.

I think playing next to shit made Newhouse look worse than he was at RT.

McDonald's making the team.

The rookie guard from Nebraska sucks.

Hard to believe that Sherrod has only played guard for 2 weeks. I don't think Lang was any better than him. He's really big. All this "so and so should _____ because we need ______ as a backup" is stupid. You start your best 5 period and you shuffle them around if you need to due to injury. Sherrod is one of our best 5 IMO and will start. In fact between him and Lang I wouldn't be surprised if Clifton regresses enough that he's no longer one of the best 5 and it becomes obvious that a change is needed, just like Tauscher and Bulaga last season.

So'oto is my pick to be a major find out of this years UDFA class.

Jarius Wynn plays like a 200lb woman.

Remember how in between 2007 and 2008 Nick Collins just became good? Is it possible that could happen to Jarrett Bush?!

Its safe to get a Masthay jersey.

Guiness
08-15-2011, 05:49 PM
My conclusions:

Right after Pat Lee has a nice showing in the superbowl and I stick up for him he makes me look like a tard.

Hard to believe that Sherrod has only played guard for 2 weeks. I don't think Lang was any better than him. He's really big. All this "so and so should _____ because we need ______ as a backup" is stupid. You start your best 5 period and you shuffle them around if you need to due to injury. Sherrod is one of our best 5 IMO and will start. In fact between him and Lang I wouldn't be surprised if Clifton regresses enough that he's no longer one of the best 5 and it becomes obvious that a change is needed, just like Tauscher and Bulaga last season.

Remember how in between 2007 and 2008 Nick Collins just became good? Is it possible that could happen to Jarrett Bush?!

The news just keeps getting better...I know it's officially kool-aid season, but it's impossible to not like the team right now.

bobblehead
08-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Hah! I've been trying to remember Ruvell Martin's name for the last week. Yes, Gurly is Son of Martin. As I recall, somebody in this forum had a jones on for Ruvell, who was that? Ruvell Martin may even have had a misguided cult following here. Did Ruvell go to Seattle and become a starter? I know he landed somewhere.

Ballhawk the 80 year old high school student with pedobear for an avatar if I recall correctly

Bossman641
08-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Ballhawk the 80 year old high school student with pedobear for an avatar if I recall correctly

Are you sure about that? I thought it was Partial.

Didn't Partial make a big deal when TT let go of Ruvell saying he was the glue guy and that the WR chemistry wouldn't be the same, etc?

pbmax
08-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Who was the poster who was always talking about having a drink, only to turn out to be in high school?

Ballhawk was definitely on the Ruvell bandwagon. Partial complaining about the release wouldn't surprise me.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2011, 10:39 PM

ya, that's who it was.

Ballhawk is probably a 30-year-old, burnt-out heroin addict now. Such a nice kid he was when he came to us. (sniffle)

ThunderDan
08-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought it was Partial.

Didn't Partial make a big deal when TT let go of Ruvell saying he was the glue guy and that the WR chemistry wouldn't be the same, etc?

Partial went on and on about Ruvell. Then Tyrone Bigguns started the Ruvell watch thread to keep us informed of Ruvell's post-Pack accomplishments.

Lurker64
08-16-2011, 12:24 AM

Well, a big guy who's tough with soft hands can be turned into a quality weapon as a WR even if he doesn't have elite speed. Martin was in the league for 5 years when we cut him, by then we were pretty sure that he wasn't going to be the second coming of Keyshawn or Plaxico (with a better attitude.) But I think one game into his rookie season is probably too early to conclude that Gurley can never become a pretty effective weapon as a possession guy, which is why I think he's worth a PS spot.

mmmdk
08-16-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm back and get ready for Euro sharp predictions...McCarthy can't bring 3 Lombardi Trophies to Green Bay...so what's he worth??? Let's get Rex Ryan and kick some NFC North a@@. :lol:

No? Ok, will have to do with "magic" Mike III then :wink:

vince
08-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Well, a big guy who's tough with soft hands can be turned into a quality weapon as a WR even if he doesn't have elite speed. Martin was in the league for 5 years when we cut him, by then we were pretty sure that he wasn't going to be the second coming of Keyshawn or Plaxico (with a better attitude.) But I think one game into his rookie season is probably too early to conclude that Gurley can never become a pretty effective weapon as a possession guy, which is why I think he's worth a PS spot.
I like West and Borel better, but you make good points Lurk. I think all of these guys have higher upside at receiver than Swain.

mmmdk
08-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Grant starts season but Starks will finish it as # 1 RB.
Cobb will catch 50+, 4 All purpose TDs.
Finley will disappoint; will get nicked up.
OL will be rusty untill midseason.
Rodgers is who we thought he was; Championship deep.
Outside Clay & BJ, QBs sacks/QB pressure will stumble...especially towards end of season.
Secondary will shine but will also take big naps during season; hopefully wake up for postseason.

Pugger
08-16-2011, 11:04 AM
come on, the squads Harrell played with were brutal. Just a ragged mess.

I also think Harrell would have been better had he been able to attend MM's QB school this offseason.

gbgary
08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
My conclusions:

good stuff. lol

Zool
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM
My conclusions:

Nance is sssslllllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww. Horribly

I think playing next to shit made Newhouse look worse than he was at RT. Agreed

Jarius Wynn plays like a 200lb woman. Thats a big gal. Get her at the right time of a 4 week cycle and we might have something

Remember how in between 2007 and 2008 Nick Collins just became good? Is it possible that could happen to Jarrett Bush?! Nope

Pat Lee will probably be in the first round of cuts.

Upnorth
08-16-2011, 05:47 PM
So it looks like our secondary will have to work overtime to make up for a weak pass rush. Now that I am paranoid of a neal injury, unless walden really steps up, where do we get a non BJ/CMIII pass rush from?

MadScientist
08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
My conclusions:
Do you mean 'big fat pussy' or 'bitch that you never want to see in your face'?

My conclusions
1) They need to cut the dead wood from the roster soon so I can stop saying who the hell is number ##.
2) Preseason games should be on the normal Sunday schedule, so I don't have to wind up taping the game because I'm doing something else. Video tapes really look crappy on a LCD screen.
3) Because the defense looked like crap and the offense looked good it means that the OL and the offense as a whole will be a problem at the start of the year while the defense will look impressive.

ThunderDan
08-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Pat Lee will probably be in the first round of cuts.

My new nickname for Pat Lee after last weeks game: LOST IN SPACE!!!!!

pbmax
08-16-2011, 07:57 PM
My new nickname for Pat Lee after last weeks game: LOST IN SPACE!!!!!

I am going with: Turn Around Bright Eyes

MJZiggy
08-16-2011, 08:07 PM
I am going with: Turn Around Bright Eyes

Take this job and shove it?

mission
08-16-2011, 08:38 PM
So it looks like our secondary will have to work overtime to make up for a weak pass rush. Now that I am paranoid of a neal injury, unless walden really steps up, where do we get a non BJ/CMIII pass rush from?

Same place as last year-- Capers

Joemailman
08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Upnorth

Yup. 16 different Packers had sacks last year. That's the key to Caper's defense. You know they're coming, but you're never sure who's coming. If necessary, they'll blitz a bit more. Packers really didn't rush more than 4 all that often last year, and still had 47 sacks.

3irty1
08-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Lets not forget either that the best secondary in the NFL got better. We got Burnett and House. Remember how effective our 3 man rush was last year??? In Capers I trust.

wootah
08-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Surely one part of that is keeping the blitzpackages nicely hidden, but maybe there's more to it.
http://blog.mobilesplease.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/tinfoil-hat.jpg

I was thinking about this after I read the article on the Bears kicking from the 30 yard line to test their coverage units: is it possible that teams "handicap" themselves in other ways during preseason games to evaluate another part? Is it possible that our lack of pash rush is intentional, just to have better film for player evaluation in the secondary?

I don't believe the coaches will ever tell the players not to go 100%, but just by personel or play selection the coaching staff can influence this almost at will without an outsider would notice. In the case of the Bears' kickoff coverage, it was clear to everyone, but it leads me to believe there's a big possibility that it also happens when the offense/defense is on the field.

In a sport where each action of each of the 22 players during each play of each practice & game is filmed & analyzed, that kind of preseason film is worth a ton to the coaching staff.

Fritz
08-17-2011, 09:07 AM
"You know they're coming, but you're never sure who's coming."

Joe, this means that I saw Dom Capers' defense on a porn video last night.

MadScientist
08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
I was thinking about this after I read the article on the Bears kicking from the 30 yard line to test their coverage units: is it possible that teams "handicap" themselves in other ways during preseason games to evaluate another part? Is it possible that our lack of pash rush is intentional, just to have better film for player evaluation in the secondary?

I don't believe the coaches will ever tell the players not to go 100%, but just by personnel or play selection the coaching staff can influence this almost at will without an outsider would notice. In the case of the Bears' kickoff coverage, it was clear to everyone, but it leads me to believe there's a big possibility that it also happens when the offense/defense is on the field.

In a sport where each action of each of the 22 players during each play of each practice & game is filmed & analyzed, that kind of preseason film is worth a ton to the coaching staff.
It's been said many times over the years that during the preseason teams, especially defenses, are vanilla. Often reporters say that this is because the teams don't want to put as much on film for other teams to scout. That's surely part of it, but the other part is the film analysis, as you have commented on. If you beat the other team with a better scheme, you can't evaluate as clearly how good your players are. If you keep the scheme basic, you can get a better look as to which players are winning their one-on-one battles and which ones are not.

MJZiggy
08-17-2011, 08:20 PM
"You know they're coming, but you're never sure who's coming."

Joe, this means that I saw Dom Capers' defense on a porn video last night.

I thought in that case everyone was coming.

woodbuck27
08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Spencer Havner is back.

Morgan Burnett is the next Leroy Butler. Joemailman

WOW! Morgan Burnett's that good!?

GO PACK GO!

rbaloha1
08-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Morgan Burnett is the next Leroy Butler. Joemailman

WOW! Morgan Burnett's that good!?

GO PACK GO!

Burnett is a faster Sharper

Collins is a faster Butler

Raji is a slimmer Grave Digger

Lurker64
08-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Burnett is a faster Sharper

Collins is a faster Butler

Raji is a slimmer Grave Digger

I would put money on Raji being faster than Gilbert too. A large part of what makes him effective is that he's alarmingly quick for a guy with his size and strength.

I would also compare Matthews positively to Bryce Paup, who was probably the last quality 3-4 OLB to play in Green Bay, though that one's kind of obvious.

Brandon494
08-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Burnett reminds me a lot of Nick Collins, remember he had his struggles early on.

rbaloha1
08-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Burnett reminds me a lot of Nick Collins, remember he had his struggles early on.

Yup. Burnett is a future pro bowler.