PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Maybin released

Guiness
08-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Another high first round LB was released today - Aaron Maybin was released by the Bills.

No surprise, I guess, he was a healthy scratch for a few games last year. Still, he shouldn't have been very expensive to keep at this point in his contract, so they must have given up all hope in him, a la Vernon Gholston. I wonder if, in a similar fashion, someone will pick him up in hopes that Buffalo was wrong. I don't see it though, the Bills have had some pretty good LB's, so it's not like the position coach screwed him up.

red
08-15-2011, 02:54 PM
taken 2 spots ahead of orakpo, and 15 spots before CM3

oouch

i'm sure other teams will give him a look, but i would say his career is in jeopardy. a college DE that was converted to OLB in a 3-4 who showed up at camp around 225. that just doesn't work

Lurker64
08-15-2011, 04:20 PM
taken 2 spots ahead of orakpo, and 15 spots before CM3

oouch

i'm sure other teams will give him a look, but i would say his career is in jeopardy. a college DE that was converted to OLB in a 3-4 who showed up at camp around 225. that just doesn't work

There were five players drafted to play OLB in a 3-4 defense in the first round that year. In order: Aaron Maybin, Brian Orakpo, Larry English, Robert Ayers, Clay Matthews. Bills aren't the only ones kicking themselves for passing on CMIII.

bobblehead
08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Wasn't there serious steroid speculation? I thought a before and after picture even.

Guiness
08-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Wasn't there serious steroid speculation? I thought a before and after picture even.

Ya, he bulked up in an awful hurry. Packer Chatters had a thread (waiting for the ban hammer for this link posting!!!!)

http://www.packerchatters.com/4ums/index.php?showtopic=13929

red
08-15-2011, 06:52 PM

cushing had a lot of talks about that, and pictures

Deputy Nutz
08-16-2011, 08:55 AM
There were five players drafted to play OLB in a 3-4 defense in the first round that year. In order: Aaron Maybin, Brian Orakpo, Larry English, Robert Ayers, Clay Matthews. Bills aren't the only ones kicking themselves for passing on CMIII.

Orakpo would be the only one I would even consider in Mathews league at this point.

Upnorth
08-16-2011, 12:52 PM
So th eguy is a bust as a first rounder, but can he contribute at any level? Special teams? Is he worth working out just to see if there is potential?

Lurker64
08-16-2011, 01:26 PM
So th eguy is a bust as a first rounder, but can he contribute at any level? Special teams? Is he worth working out just to see if there is potential?

Our coaches' time is probably better spent working with the guys who are already on the roster than on also-rans. Jamari Lattimore is essentially the same player as Maybin (undersized speed rusher, though Maybin's arms are longer), and Lattimore is cheaper and we don't know yet whether or not he can be made in a player whereas the early returns on Maybin are poor.

smuggler
08-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Maybin is done. He took shortcuts in college, and when those shortcuts weren't available in the pros, he lost 22lbs and vanished. He's a massively undersized linebacker and a slow safety with no coverage skills.

KYPack
08-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Orakpo would be the only one I would even consider in Mathews league at this point.

Orakpo went to the Pro Bowl last season to replace Clay bc of the Super Bowl. The other 3 #1 picks are all busts. Big time busts. I saw a Bills game 2 years ago. I wanted to check out Maybin. It took me several series to figure out which one he was. Eventually, I discovered he was the shitty LB. No shed, no pass rush, no instincts and terrible against the run. This kid was the NFL equivalent of the invisible man.

This is the reason I have given up on trying to figure out the prospects for the NFL draft. It doesn't matter what these kids do in college. They get all these sacks against other kids. It doesn't matter how fast they smoke a 40 or did in gym class. Until they take NFL snaps, it's all a big, fat guess.

Give me a list of who we drafted and I'll watch 'em in camp.

mmmdk
08-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Bears are actually interested in Maybin according to Chicago Tribune.

KYPack
08-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Bears are actually interested in Maybin according to Chicago Tribune.

That'd be cool. The Barelys already signed Vern Gholston from Ohio State. They could start an all-time #1 draft pick pass rusher bust club or something.

Joemailman
08-16-2011, 04:27 PM
That'd be cool. The Barelys already signed Vern Gholston from Ohio State. They could start an all-time #1 draft pick pass rusher bust club or something.

Hope they fare better than Gaines Adams.

KYPack
08-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Hope they fare better than Gaines Adams.

That's stone cold, Joe.

red
08-16-2011, 04:59 PM
wow, dude cleared wavers. his salary was only 757,000 for this year

not a good sign for his future

pbmax
08-16-2011, 05:07 PM
wow, dude cleared wavers. his salary was only 757,000 for this year

not a good sign for his future

How many years do you need to be in the League for that salary to become guaranteed the first week of the season? Four? I don't think he qualifies, so that's a big tumble.

KYPack
08-16-2011, 06:00 PM
How many years do you need to be in the League for that salary to become guaranteed the first week of the season? Four? I don't think he qualifies, so that's a big tumble.

Can't remember that PB. Vet minny for a 3 year vet is $550,000.

$375 for a rookie. I'd keep a kid over Maybin. He has serious suckitude.

Guiness
08-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Looks like the Jets are picking him up

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/31371914

gave me a chuckle. I guess with Gholston gone, they need a token first round bust on the squad?

red
08-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Looks like the Jets are picking him up

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/31371914

gave me a chuckle. I guess with Gholston gone, they need a token first round bust on the squad?

LOL, that's just perfect. trade one high round bust at OLB without a career sack for another major bust at OLB without a career sack

Fritz
08-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Maybin is done. He took shortcuts in college, and when those shortcuts weren't available in the pros, he lost 22lbs and vanished. He's a massively undersized linebacker and a slow safety with no coverage skills.

Is this a thread on Brian Bosworth?