PDA

View Full Version : Underwood out for the season

Patler
08-13-2006, 03:37 PM
GBPG is reporting that Underwood is out for the season with multiple ligament tears, including both ACL and MCL.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Good thing that Culver looks pretty solid. It's imperative that Marquand Manuel get healthy though.

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 03:44 PM
That's really sad for this young man, the team and Packer fans.

Thanks Patler.

GBRulz
08-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Here is the article that Patler is referring to

Packers' Underwood out for season

The Green Bay Packers have lost safety Marviel Underwood for the season, an NFL source confirmed on Sunday.

The fourth-round draft pick in 2005 sustained a serious injury to his right knee in Saturday’s preseason opener at San Diego and tests showed that the second-year defensive back has multiple torn ligaments, including his anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament.

Underwood, who was on crutches following Saturday’s 17-3 loss to the Chargers, will need reconstructive surgery and will be placed on the season-ending injured reserve list. Underwood had been working with the No. 1 defense in place of Marquand Manuel, the projected starter who has been out with a calf injury.

Patler
08-13-2006, 03:48 PM
I was really looking forward to seeing Underwood in games, just to see how much he improved.

BananaMan
08-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Horrible news.

So what do the Packers do now? Keep a guy like Bigby, or bring in a vet? I don't know of any guys in FA right now.

Convert a CB to safety?

Also, we could keep 3 safeties and free up another spot somewhere else, but seeing how injuries love to happen to us, it probably wouldn't be the best idea.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Collins, Manuel, Culver, and then either Boger or somebody cut from another team is my guess.

digitaldean
08-13-2006, 04:15 PM
That sucks about Underwood. He was making such progress.

Manuel better get back on the field for some live reps.

As for the DB's, Carroll sucked canal water. When he did break up a play the refs missed his grabbing. (why the heck didn't they see the WR's pads coming out, sure didn't come out on their own).

Rastak
08-13-2006, 04:55 PM
GBPG is reporting that Underwood is out for the season with multiple ligament tears, including both ACL and MCL.

That's too bad. Rehabbing that has GOT to suck. As crappy as this is to say, both the Vikings and the Packers had the depth to absorb such a blow like this.

son of a vic
08-13-2006, 04:55 PM
If you watch the replay, Underwood got hurt, trying to avoid contact with a lineman.(I believe)

If you are on the field, you'd better be physical 100% of the time.

Injuries of aggression are part of the game. Injuries from getting out of the way, are harder to explain.

PTPaQ
08-13-2006, 05:28 PM
This really pisses me off...

These injuries are getting out of hand.

I was REALLY excited about Underwood too.

figures...

pbmax
08-13-2006, 05:37 PM
This really pisses me off...

These injuries are getting out of hand.

I was REALLY excited about Underwood too.

figures...
I guess Rock Cartwright needs more time for the "transformation" of free weights. I mean, torn ACLS, David Martin's hammy, its just like old times with Barry Rubin.

FavreChild
08-13-2006, 05:40 PM
"Marvelous Marviel" will have to wait another year. :cry:

Dammit.

There probably won't be too many more injuries in the coming weeks, though, 'cause David Martin doesn't like sharing the hot tub.

BallHawk
08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Man, this really sucks. I was really looking to this kid making some hits and contributing to the team this year.

If you look on the bright side, Culver is looking pretty good. Can't really say the same for Boger, though. Marquand needs to get his ass on the field and start playing, because we're gonna need him.

And I agree with Rastak. Luckily, the Packers have the depth for this injury to not seriously set them back. As the same with the Vikes and Tank Johnson.

BallHawk
08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Maybe there is a curse on NFC North Safteies. If the Lions or Bears sustain an injury to a starting saftey, that would be freaky. :shock:

BooHoo
08-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Injuries are always a fear during preseason. Since he was a backup it is not a major blow to the team. That is unless more injuries occur in the same position. Then the injury is huge. The experience being on the field this year would have been invaluable for him.

BananaMan
08-13-2006, 06:35 PM
If you watch the replay, Underwood got hurt, trying to avoid contact with a lineman.(I believe)

If you are on the field, you'd better be physical 100% of the time.

Injuries of aggression are part of the game. Injuries from getting out of the way, are harder to explain.

Are you seriously telling me that you expect a 5'10" 197lb safety to initiate contact with a 6'3" 300+ lineman? That's just stupid. That'd be like KGB trying to bull rush a 350lb OT. You use your speed to get around the guy, you don't try to blast through someone who has over 100 pounds on you.

Just simple football.

And if I remember right, weren't you among the crowd that expected linebackers to plow through offensive guards?

In the words of Reggie Bush, "that was dumb".

4and12to12and4
08-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Well, as frustrating as this is for us fans, think of how upset Underwood must be. All the hard work through college, and the learning curve of the NFL, and then just when you may be able to make your mark, everything in your life changes, and your looking at a year of tough physical therapy just to "possibly" come back. This can be a career ending injury. Jeez, have we had enough knee injurys the past year plus here? My prayers are with you Marviel, I hope you're career is not over.

BooHoo
08-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, as frustrating as this is for us fans, think of how upset Underwood must be. All the hard work through college, and the learning curve of the NFL, and then just when you may be able to make your mark, everything in your life changes, and your looking at a year of tough physical therapy just to "possibly" come back. This can be a career ending injury. Jeez, have we had enough knee injurys the past year plus here? My prayers are with you Marviel, I hope you're career is not over.

Great point. I bet he feels really bad today. After waiting all off season to get on the field to prove his worth, he gets injured during, of all things, the first pre-season game. Yep, will be a long hard year for him watching from the sidelines.

Patler
08-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Since he was a backup it is not a major blow to the team. That is unless more injuries occur in the same position. Then the injury is huge.

As of yesterday, Underwood was the starter, not a backup. Manuel has yet to hit the field, so who knows how the competition between he and Underwood would have turned out.

Even if he wasn't to be a starter, this is a loss for Special Teams. Underwood was the leading ST tackler last year, with 23. For as "great" as everyone claims Ferguson was on ST, in his only really good year he had 18 tackles.

BooHoo
08-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Since he was a backup it is not a major blow to the team. That is unless more injuries occur in the same position. Then the injury is huge.

As of yesterday, Underwood was the starter, not a backup. Manuel has yet to hit the field, so who knows how the competition between he and Underwood would have turned out.

Even if he wasn't to be a starter, this is a loss for Special Teams. Underwood was the leading ST tackler last year, with 23. For as "great" as everyone claims Ferguson was on ST, in his only really good year he had 18 tackles.

Good comment about the special teams angle. We tend to forget about special team tackles.

TPF
08-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah, it's a real shame, I feel sorry for the kid.

Guiness
08-13-2006, 09:00 PM
In the words of Reggie Bush, "that was dumb".

I don't understand what you're trying to say BM. Come on, don't hold back, tell us what you're thinking /sarcasm

While i like how you got your point across, I don't know that I agree with you BananaMan. I didn't see the play, so I don't know the circumstances, but sometimes a DB has to take on the lead block, no matter who it is.
Some of my most painful moments on the field were comming up to try and shed block a pulling guard.