PDA

View Full Version : Meet your new #2 WR, and new star

red
08-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Mr. Randall Cobb

from mjso

Cobb had 58 yards on two kick returns and 60 yards on three catches in the slot. "Very natural," McCarthy said, also praising Cobb's special teams value. "He can handle the football with a lot of confidence. He’s very fundamentally sound." Especially noticeable was seasoned backup Matt Flynn's confidence in Cobb. He looked for the rookie every time he was out there.

sounds like the coaches are trying hard not to gush too much about him so early on, pry don't want to give him a big head

Deputy Nutz
08-16-2011, 04:10 PM
The Packers are almost overloaded at WR and TE. The Packers could look to trade some offense for some help along the defensive line. An embarrassement of riches.

woodbuck27
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
This is going to be an exciting season for Packer fans.

GO PACKERS!

Brandon494
08-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Yea I said this right after we drafted him. I forget who but someone was trying to argue with me for thinking Cobb was our future #2 over Nelson.

Upnorth
08-16-2011, 05:38 PM
I hope we see reason to start a Cobb fan club, it would be nice to have another high impact rookie. It has been far too long since a packers rookie was a great up an comer, not since way back in 2009 have we had a dominant rookie.

Brandon494
08-16-2011, 06:23 PM
I hope we see reason to start a Cobb fan club, it would be nice to have another high impact rookie. It has been far too long since a packers rookie was a great up an comer, not since way back in 2009 have we had a dominant rookie.

Shields?

Tony Oday
08-16-2011, 06:51 PM
I think Jordy dominates this year.

MJZiggy
08-16-2011, 06:56 PM

I hope it's a battle royale with each performing at an elite level. To the point they have to list them 2a and 2b in alphabetical order because they're both so dominant.

Smeefers
08-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Shields?

Nooooo. Well, yes, but also Clay Mathews.

Brandon494
08-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I know but he was saying we haven't had a impact rookie since Clay but he forgot about Shields.

Brandon494
08-16-2011, 07:41 PM

Jordy has never scored more than 2 TDs in the regular season and with Finley returning from injury and the drafting of Cobb I see Nelson's numbers dropping from last season.

bobblehead
08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Guess I am the last member of the James Jones mancrush fanclub.

ND72
08-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Ted Thompson is doing everything Ron wolf didn't, getting weapons for a very good QB. Wolf always talked about his regrets of not getting more for favre, Thompson is making this an offensive power maybe rarely if ever seen. Jennings, Nelson, jones, driver, Cobb, grant, Starks, green, Kuhn, Finley, Williams, quarless, havner....just crazy. I loved the Cobb pick when we took him, starting to love him more!

Upnorth
08-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I know but he was saying we haven't had a impact rookie since Clay but he forgot about Shields.
I said dominant like droy, not impact, but the point is we are spoiled with ted. Every year we get something good.
Also of note I am apparently way less funny than I though, as that was supposed to be tounge in cheek.

Deputy Nutz
08-16-2011, 11:38 PM
60-65 plays a game on offense. There is going to be some really unselfish ball players on offense for the Packers

HarveyWallbangers
08-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Ted Thompson is doing everything Ron wolf didn't, getting weapons for a very good QB. Wolf always talked about his regrets of not getting more for favre, Thompson is making this an offensive power maybe rarely if ever seen. Jennings, Nelson, jones, driver, Cobb, grant, Starks, green, Kuhn, Finley, Williams, quarless, havner....just crazy. I loved the Cobb pick when we took him, starting to love him more!

Havner? Taylor maybe. Havner is as good as gone.

gbgary
08-17-2011, 08:59 AM
the o is going to be scary good. hopefully teams will be playing from behind quickly and will have to abandon the run against us. that's going to be our weak point. on o mm has to keep the pedal to the metal.

Fritz
08-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Randall "Slippery" Cobb.

AtlPackFan
08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Agree Havner doesn't make the final cut.

retailguy
08-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Randall "Slippery" Cobb.

Randall "rookie" Cobb. Rookie receivers rarely have a huge impact. I hope this guy is the next coming of Anquan Boldin, or Desean Jackson, but won't be disappointed if we don't see it until next year or the year after. Chances are, he'll hit the "rookie wall" early this season.

ND72
08-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Havner? Taylor maybe. Havner is as good as gone.

Come on, dude only catches TD's!!! I think he is done also.

KYPack
08-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Randall "rookie" Cobb. Rookie receivers rarely have a huge impact. I hope this guy is the next coming of Anquan Boldin, or Desean Jackson, but won't be disappointed if we don't see it until next year or the year after. Chances are, he'll hit the "rookie wall" early this season.

Your point is right in one area. Cobb is not an experienced receiver. He switched from starting QB to WR for UK to fill a need. He is still learning the job. His routes at KY were mainly slants and shallow crosses, IOW - "long handoff" type stuff.

But, he's a different type kid. He's a film room rat. He will know all his routes and all his teammates assignments. He's just that kind of guy.

I saw a little of this in the Brown game. Cobb was in there with all the kids. Harrell got the play called, but the WR's were shaky about their assignments. Cobb grabbed them and told the other two their routes. They were all looking at Cobb so he could do just that. The kid is a natural, "foller me boys" kind of leader.

Cobb reminds me of a Marshall Faulk kind of guy. He excells at all the mental side of the game. He's a finished product as a PR. WR? it'll take awhile, but the kid will get there if he's healthy.

mraynrand
08-17-2011, 09:48 AM
He's a finished product as a PR.

His decisiveness just leaped out at you. Quick and elusive, too. But that fearless confidence is what makes a special athlete, especially a return guy. First two returns, the thought that leaped into my head was "this guy reminds me of Woodson."

Brandon494
08-17-2011, 09:48 AM
He reminds me of Hines Ward and anyone who does not think this guy will have a impact this season has either never watched him play or just has no clue.

swede
08-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Guess I am the last member of the James Jones mancrush fanclub.

James Jones makes me yearn for the days when John Jefferson and James Lofton sported those sweeet white towels around their lithe groinages as they flew down the green turf of Lambeau.

Cobb makes me think a little more of Sterling. Sterling was manly for a wide receiver.

Deputy Nutz
08-17-2011, 10:05 AM
At this point, Cobb reminds me of Greg Jennings, but actually he is bigger and faster. He isn't tall but he has a really big build on him.

Brandon494
08-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Not faster, maybe quicker.

Deputy Nutz
08-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Not faster, maybe quicker.

You don't even know what that means.

HarveyWallbangers
08-17-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't think he's faster or quicker than Jennings. Jennings ran 4.42. Cobb ran 4.46. And I think Jennings is one of those guys that is "faster in pads". Has he ever been caught from behind? Jennings quickness is elite. Cobb is just a tick below him, but I think Jennings' athleticism is still underrated.

KYPack
08-17-2011, 10:51 AM
His decisiveness just leaped out at you. Quick and elusive, too. But that fearless confidence is what makes a special athlete, especially a return guy. First two returns, the thought that leaped into my head was "this guy reminds me of Woodson."

Cobb is a coaching clinic as a PR. He's perfect in every respect. You are supposed to glide to the ball. You take low steps and not stomp to the ball. A stomp stride will jar your eyes and make you lose track of the ball. He catches the ball with his hands. The proper technique is to gather the ball. The poor PR's lunge for the ball. Cobb has both feet about shoulder width and is at a dead stop when gathering the kick. He catches it properly, secures the ball and takes off.

If I was coaching him, I'd walk him over to the water bucket. I'd clap him on the back and tell him "I don't know where you came from, but I'm damned glad you're here".

He doesn't need any coaching. All you could do by talking to him would be to screw him up.

Better get off here, Brandon and Nutz are gonna start pulling each other's hair.

mraynrand
08-17-2011, 11:19 AM

not faster, not quicker, but more sudden!

mraynrand
08-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Explosive!

smuggler
08-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Cobb's nickname should be "Splish"

Little Whiskey
08-17-2011, 11:31 AM

not faster, not quicker, but more sudden!

something to do with Pad Level?

Zool
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
He reminds me of Hines Ward and anyone who does not think this guy will have a impact this season has either never watched him play or just has no clue.

Or maybe people have watched enough football to understand that WR's that have great rookie years are the exception and not the rule.

I for one hope he's a lot better than Ward in his rookie season. Ward didnt do shit.

Hines Ward (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WardHi00.htm)

bobblehead
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
James Jones makes me yearn for the days when John Jefferson and James Lofton sported those sweeet white towels around their lithe groinages as they flew down the green turf of Lambeau.

Cobb makes me think a little more of Sterling. Sterling was manly for a wide receiver.

Reminds me of Donald Driver in his prime...and the middle of his career...and hopefully in the latter stages.

Fritz
08-17-2011, 11:52 AM
something to do with Pad Level?

No, no, no. It's knee bend, man!

Brandon494
08-17-2011, 11:53 AM
He will also be our main return guy on a team which ranked among the worst in the league in kick and punt returns. Like I said anyone who doesn't think this guy will have a impact on the team this season has no clue. Never said anything about having a great season but if you want to know a rookie who will be sure to check out Julio Jones with the Falcons this season.

mraynrand
08-17-2011, 11:55 AM
He will also be our main return guy on a team which ranked among the worst in the league in kick and punt returns.

WORD!

mraynrand
08-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Elusive!

retailguy
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Your point is right in one area. Cobb is not an experienced receiver. He switched from starting QB to WR for UK to fill a need. He is still learning the job. His routes at KY were mainly slants and shallow crosses, IOW - "long handoff" type stuff.

But, he's a different type kid. He's a film room rat. He will know all his routes and all his teammates assignments. He's just that kind of guy.

I saw a little of this in the Brown game. Cobb was in there with all the kids. Harrell got the play called, but the WR's were shaky about their assignments. Cobb grabbed them and told the other two their routes. They were all looking at Cobb so he could do just that. The kid is a natural, "foller me boys" kind of leader.

Cobb reminds me of a Marshall Faulk kind of guy. He excells at all the mental side of the game. He's a finished product as a PR. WR? it'll take awhile, but the kid will get there if he's healthy.

I don't think we disagree at all. I was commenting on cobb the WR, not cobb the PR...

Maybe he'll be all that you say, hope so! That'd make him an awesome 2011 addition to the team, AT WR. I'm content with the PR portion of his job. I don't expect him to be the #2 WR, in spite of Brandon's pronouncements of greatness in 10 minutes....

Deputy Nutz
08-17-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't think he's faster or quicker than Jennings. Jennings ran 4.42. Cobb ran 4.46. And I think Jennings is one of those guys that is "faster in pads". Has he ever been caught from behind? Jennings quickness is elite. Cobb is just a tick below him, but I think Jennings' athleticism is still underrated.

4 one hundreths of a second doesn't mean shit. Jennings is fast but watching Cobb's highlight tapes he just has another gear than anyone else on the field. I in turn claim that Cobb is much faster in pads as well.

Jennings is fucking smooth. I don't know how else to describe him, but he runs clean routes does an excellent job body controll catching the ball in a way that dbs don't know when the ball is arriving, and getting yards after the catch. Jennings might be the most polished WR in the NFL. If he did a better job of catching the football I would say that Jennings reminds me of Jerry Rice.

Sterling Sharpe is not in this conversation. The only receiver that was a better overall talent and player than Sharpe was Jerry Rice, and I tell you in 1993 if I had to sign one wide receiver in the whole league I would spend my money on Sterling Sharpe.

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2011, 01:42 PM
I think Sharpe was more dominant than Rice

red
08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
sharpe was just so insane. there was zero talent around him to take the pressure off of him, yet he still put up massive numbers. you have to include sharpe in the conversation of best wr's of all time IMO

rice had 2 hall of fame qb's throwing him the ball for almost his whole career. sharpe had favre for 2 or 3 seasons, and a bunch of shit before that throwing to him

as far as cobb and jennings. i see them as being very similar players. and that's a good thing

Deputy Nutz
08-17-2011, 02:08 PM
I think Sharpe was more dominant than Rice

Unfortunately Sharpe didn't have the opportunity to do it for 20 years.

KYPack
08-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Nah, RG, we don't even disagree. I do think Cobb will be a better WR than you do, but he is a rookie and still green at the wideout job.

When he does get experienced, he'll be illegal from the slot. I know MM will have him working on sluggo's and those backside digs. That kid will tear up a cover 2, like in Chicago maybe?

Brandon, guess I don't have to sell you on Randall, but I do have an area of concern. I don't want him to return kick-offs. He is so fearless, he will run right into the defense. He knocked himself out of the UGA game doing just that. Let him return punts and play the slot, he'll be fine.

Cobb is a really good passer and he holds for XP & FG's. I'd think our mad scientist HC could think up some gimmick plays off FG's for Randall, if he felt like it.

Joemailman
08-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Cobb is a really good passer and he holds for XP & FG's. I'd think our mad scientist HC could think up some gimmick plays off FG's for Randall, if he felt like it.

More likely we might see him throwing off reverses. In fact, I think they've already done that in practice.

Fritz
08-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe when MM trots Crosby out for a fifty-plus yarder with Cobb as the holder, the threat of a gimmick will keep the rushers from going too hard and Crosby can get off the low long line drive he needs to make a long FG,

BTW, who's holding for Crosby these days? Still Masthay? Or Cobb?

Packers4Glory
08-17-2011, 04:41 PM

I still say Jones has a better yr than Jordy or Driver.

vince
08-17-2011, 04:52 PM
More likely we might see him throwing off reverses. In fact, I think they've already done that in practice.
Yes they have. I was there and it was a thing of beauty.

KYPack
08-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Maybe when MM trots Crosby out for a fifty-plus yarder with Cobb as the holder, the threat of a gimmick will keep the rushers from going too hard and Crosby can get off the low long line drive he needs to make a long FG,

BTW, who's holding for Crosby these days? Still Masthay? Or Cobb?

Yeah, Masthay.

So I'm proposing flipping the team's two UK players.

It also might be a problem having your holder running routes on 3rd down and getting back and in "hold mode" on 4th down.

Fritz
08-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Since Crosby had to put up with a new holder every time Shawn Slocum farted, I'm glad for Cros's sake that he gets the same holder two years in a row.

Maybe Cobb can just teach Masthay how to throw the ball.

Upnorth
08-17-2011, 05:43 PM
So Jennings is 1100 yrds, finley 800, if jones, jordy driver and cobb each get 500 thats 3900 yrds without running backs. So how are they gonna stop this offence again?

Fritz
08-17-2011, 06:58 PM
So he's been called "the poor man's Percy Harvin." How does he stack up ?

Joemailman
08-17-2011, 07:35 PM
So he's been called "the poor man's Percy Harvin." How does he stack up ?

Well, he doesn't have Harvin's elite speed. I'd say he has Greg Jennings speed. He also doesn't have Harvin's migraines. Cobb had a 25 on wonderlic, highest among WR's in 2011. Harvin had a 12. I think Harvin is the better athlete, but Cobb may prove to be a more complete player.

Deputy Nutz
08-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Harvin is like magic in a purple uniform. When he plays. Harvin is a very special player and it will be interesting see how Donovan McNappy utilizes his skills in the offense

rbaloha1
08-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Cobb is Hines Ward or El-Randle type receiver -- smart with no wasted motion.

Speed is an overrated criteria for a receiver (just like arm strength for a qb.) Davonne Bess maybe the second best slot receiver behind Welker is a 4.8 type guy. Bursts and change of direction is much more important.

mission
08-17-2011, 10:15 PM

Speed is an overrated criteria for a receiver (just like arm strength for a qb.) Davonne Bess maybe the second best slot receiver behind Welker is a 4.8 type guy. Bursts and change of direction is much more important.

4.8?? No way, that's slower than me.

mraynrand
08-17-2011, 10:19 PM
So Jennings is 1100 yrds, finley 800, if jones, jordy driver and cobb each get 500 thats 3900 yrds without running backs. So how are they gonna stop this offence again?

All that has to happen is one mistake at LT and even that new helmet won't save Rodgers.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/GazooRodgers2.jpg

Joemailman
08-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by rbaloha1

4.8?? No way, that's slower than me.

rbaloha is right. A report from Bess' combine results in 2008:

Bess is nearly the complete opposite — at least in terms of his 40. Scouts were disappointed to see Bess time in the 4.7s — a number so high even the most ardent of supporters is concerned, but his burst out of his breaks and super-soft hands made him one of the more impressive receivers of the day in drills. During the "gauntlet" drills in which receivers are asked to run horizontally across the field at full speed while six quarterbacks (three on either side) pepper them with passes, Bess was one of the few receivers to easily contort his body and snare each pass. In drills where others struggled, Bess consistently made the difficult appear easy.

rbaloha1
08-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Another Hawaii receiver Ashley Lelie was a #1 pick of the broncos. Ran a 4.3 but was linear with a poor burst. After a few decent years, Lelie was a journeyman and is out of the league. Currently coaching at Hawaii looking to get back in the league. Says he can still run a great 40 time.

Greg Salas, Hawaii, a Rams draft pick runs a slow 40 but is productive (great agility). Wished the Packers selected him. Anyway Salas is having an outstanding camp and should have a very good career despite a slow 40 time.

VermontPackFan
08-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Thompson is making this an offensive power maybe rarely if ever seen. Jennings, Nelson, jones, driver, Cobb, grant, Starks, green, Kuhn, Finley, Williams, quarless, havner....just crazy.

An offensive power rarely if ever seen? It brings a smile to my face too but they havent played a game yet so we shouldnt get too giddy over a lineup on paper. Lots can happen before the first game and we all know from last year shit happens during the regular season.

I agree wth you ND that our O has lots of potential...