Pages : 1 [2]

pbmax
08-19-2011, 09:41 PM
GO TOOLBELT!

Bretsky
I wonder if Harell could win a game or two if we lost Rodgers
It pains me to get a crappy pick for Flynn after he goes free next year
West....so he made a play...advantage West but he still might not make the team. I do think if he gets cut then he gets claimed.
Sherrod has sucked tonight; it's good we found this out tonight instead of the first game. He needs work
Seeing Rodgers to Finley was nice again
Our defense does not look dominant but I think we've brought back Vanilla Bob to call plays in the preseason.....the Dominator will show up in the regular season

pbmax
That was a very nice throw. Early, hard, spiral and on target to the outside.

gbgary
08-19-2011, 09:42 PM
There we have it. Chastin "Toolbelt" West.

perfect. he's got to stick now.

3irty1
And the west crush grows

pbmax
I wonder if Harell could win a game or two if we lost Rodgers
It pains me to get a crappy pick for Flynn after he goes free next year
TOOLBELT West....so he made a play...advantage West but he still might not make the team. I do think if he gets cut then he gets claimed.
Sherrod has sucked tonight; it's good we found this out tonight instead of the first game. He needs work
Seeing Rodgers to Finley was nice again
Our defense does not look dominant but I think we've brought back Vanilla Bob to call plays in the preseason.....the Dominator will show up in the regular season

fixed

pittstang5
West...again. Kid shows moxy. I want him one this team!

Bretsky
one thing for all da homers

The Pats backup is a step up from Flynn

Bretsky
08-19-2011, 09:43 PM
WHERE is my buddy SLIM SHAKY ????

I think he gets cut this week :(

pittstang5
08-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Harrell looks comfortable back there. Too Bad some of the receivers aren't on the same page.

imscott72
08-19-2011, 09:44 PM
West is a fucking beast..

pbmax
Certainly its the 3rd team D, but Harrell has shown more arm than I thought he had. Nice touch too.

Bretsky
OK....West is doing what he can to make the team tonight. Nice pattern

gbgary
08-19-2011, 09:45 PM
toooooooooooolbelt

pbmax
08-19-2011, 09:45 PM
one thing for all da homers

The Pats backup is a step up from Flynn

Running first team offense in hurry up no huddle mode. Not so sure that is apples to apples.

imscott72
08-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Harrell looks comfortable back there. Too Bad some of the receivers aren't on the same page.

Playing against the 2's and 3's though..Take with a grain of salt..

pbmax
08-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Nance running much better this week.

mission

Playing with the 2-3's also...

HarveyWallbangers
Hoyer is better than Flynn?

Joemailman
You can't stop Chastin West. You can only hope to contain him.

pbmax
08-19-2011, 09:48 PM
2nd or 3rd team D maybe. That was a nice drive by a QB who knows what he is doing.

pbmax
08-19-2011, 09:48 PM
You can't stop Chastin West. You can only hope to contain him.

:D

gbgary
08-19-2011, 09:49 PM
jacke with the touchdown

pbmax
Game MVPs, Toolbelt West and Not Justin Harrell.

smuggler
Hmm... Seems like some of these camp WRs could be decent guys if they had time to get some seasoning. It will be interesting to see who they decide to send to the PS.

imscott72
08-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Playing with the 2-3's also...

True, but you're not going to get the blitz packages you'd get from the 1's..Harrell has played well sure, but would love to see him against a few 1's..

Joemailman
Great night for the Packer quarterbacks.

pittstang5

Yeah and playing with 3rd o-line that can be like a sieve. I think he's doing a pretty good job.

pbmax
Kerry Taylor's Uncle is JOHN TAYLOR? How did I miss this?

Brandon494
West or Crabtree?

gbgary
08-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Game MVPs, Toolbelt West and Not Justin Harrell.

lol

mission
08-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Yeah and playing with 3rd o-line that can be like a sieve. I think he's doing a pretty good job.

Yup, he's made some nice throws. Seems more decisive this week.

mission
08-19-2011, 09:53 PM
West or Crabtree?

Can I take West and Taylor?

pittstang5
08-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Nice job D.

Packgator
08-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Great night for the Packer quarterbacks.

Packer QB's

19-25
299 yards
3 TD's
140.6 Rating

pbmax
08-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Funny how bad QBs are under pressure.

gbgary
08-19-2011, 09:56 PM
nice int...bad idea to run it out.

3irty1
08-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Idiot, just kneel in the endzone.

Pugger
08-19-2011, 09:57 PM
the AZ QB locked onto his WR there

gbgary
08-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Rangers beat the chisox 7-4. go Rangers!

pittstang5
08-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Idiot, just kneel in the endzone.

I agree, but I don't think he knew that guy was right behind him.

imscott72
08-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Harrell does look 100% better. Not sure if this is good or bad. I don't want Flynn traded..

red
08-19-2011, 10:00 PM
i didn't watch the second half, but it sounds like my pick for training camp hero looked like the real deal

told you guys west looks like a player

good for him, hope we keep six on the roster

gbgary
08-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Harrell does look 100% better. Not sure if this is good or bad. I don't want Flynn traded..

looks a lot better than he did last week. i'd like to keep flynn to but it's up to him.

pittstang5
08-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I know it's against 3's, but harrell has looked pretyy good. I'm curious what others think. Can the Packers hide Harrell on the PS or will someone pick him up.

pbmax
08-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Sitton and Lang are giving the linesman a hard time.

pbmax
08-19-2011, 10:03 PM
I know it's against 3's, but harrell has looked pretyy good. I'm curious what others think. Can the Packers hide Harrell on the PS or will someone pick him up.

Maybe. But he'll probably be on the 53 this year. He was at the end of last year after the concussion.

Brandon494
08-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Can I take West and Taylor?

Yes you can, Taylor is going to take Korey Hall's spot on special teams. Don't be surprised if Taylor leads the Packers in special teams tackles this year, he started he college career as a LB.

Pugger
08-19-2011, 10:04 PM
After this performance I doubt we can hide Harrell in the PS this year (would he still be eligible?).

imscott72
08-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Harrell will be on the 53. He's a goner for sure on the PS.

gbgary
08-19-2011, 10:06 PM
i didn't watch the second half, but it sounds like my pick for training camp hero looked like the real deal

told you guys west looks like a player

good for him, hope we keep six on the roster

toolbelt has nailed-down a spot on the team now.

Pugger
08-19-2011, 10:07 PM
This one is almost over. I'm gonna go watch the rest of the Crew's game now. Goodnight gentlemen.

Joemailman
08-19-2011, 10:07 PM

Someone would pick him up. They need to keep Harrell since Flynn likely won't be here next year

mission
08-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes you can, Taylor is going to take Korey Hall's spot on special teams. Don't be surprised if Taylor leads the Packers in special teams tackles this year, he started he college career as a LB.

He looks like he can block too. I read he's one of those possessed madman football players.

Packgator
08-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Final QB stats (combined).

21-25
319 Yards
3 TD's
141.8 Rating

RashanGary
08-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Green played well
Sherrod sucked
Newhouse played well
Lang seemed to play well
Clifton looks like he can still play
That throw to Jennings was sweet
The Packers kept Newhouse in at LT late in the game to give Harrell a chance
Domingez seemed alright at RT
Jarius Wynn flashed a little
Some protection problems with the first and second offenses
Pat Lee has never made a play
Harrell looked good, all QB's did.

RashanGary
08-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Marshall Newhouse is a lock. TJ lang is our LG. Sherrod might not even be our 2nd LT. That might be Newhouse.

mission
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Bush still sucks

pittstang5
08-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Bush still sucks

Lee Sucks more

pbmax
08-19-2011, 10:31 PM
This is the line I saw at the end of the game with Harrell:

Tom Silverstein:
Newhouse is in at LT. Sampson Genus at LG, Evan Dietrich-Smith center, Ray Dominguez at RG and Theo Sherman at RT.

Bretsky
08-19-2011, 10:33 PM

no chance
He has to stick on the team this year
I think he may be developing into a solid lifetime backup
Jim Sorgi had the dream job behind P Manning; then he botched it up and left
Harrell can be out Jim Sorgi

RashanGary
08-19-2011, 10:39 PM
CB will be interesting to see play out. TE/FB is interesting. Last OL or two is interesting. Last safety seems up for grabs. Chastin West will be hard to cut. I wonder if we franchise Flynn next year and then trade him for a 2nd round pick or something like that.

pittstang5
08-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Green played well
Sherrod sucked
Newhouse played well
Lang seemed to play well
Clifton looks like he can still play
That throw to Jennings was sweet
The Packers kept Newhouse in at LT late in the game to give Harrell a chance
Domingez seemed alright at RT
Jarius Wynn flashed a little
Some protection problems with the first and second offenses
Pat Lee has never made a play
Harrell looked good, all QB's did.

I'll Add...

Borel is gone.
West is making decisions at the WR position very tough
M.D. Jennings might be the 4th Safety

mission
08-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Lee Sucks more

Tiebreaker must be STs then because if both give up catches every time they're targeted then there really is no difference. Bush cant run with anyone -- constantly 1-2 steps behind and making a drag down tackle. Lee can run a bit better but has no ball awareness whatsoever. Almost like Shields last night...

rbaloha1
08-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Marshall Newhouse is a lock. TJ lang is our LG. Sherrod might not even be our 2nd LT. That might be Newhouse.

Agreed. Stop the flip flopping. Newhouse should compete with Lang at lg and Sherrod backs up Clifton. Lang does get over powered at times but is pretty steady.

rbaloha1
08-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Bush still sucks

Yup. Only good for blitzing from the slot. Scarey when in the game.

rbaloha1
08-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Lee Sucks more

Maybe. Second round pedigree is what keeps him around. Other more aware and instinctive secondary players still on the roster.

pbmax
08-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Agreed. Stop the flip flopping. Newhouse should compete with Lang at lg and Sherrod backs up Clifton. Lang does get over powered at times but is pretty steady.

Newhouse is less of a guard than Sherrod. Size-wise, it looks like a fit, but he doesn't play like a guard.

rbaloha1
08-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Newhouse is less of a guard than Sherrod. Size-wise, it looks like a fit, but he doesn't play like a guard.

Why not give it a shot? Sherrod does not play like a guard. Newhouse reminds of ex 49er and Packer Guy Mcintire (sp?) -- body wise and athletically.

Patler
08-20-2011, 01:06 PM

They tried Newhouse at guard last year and decided against continuing.

Fritz
08-20-2011, 01:10 PM
By all accounts Newhouse is not a guard, but he's playing pretty well at LT. If he can train at RT, he'll be valuable. Sherrod, if yesterday's game is a good measure of where he really is right now, could be a game day inactive.

I think they've got to keep Harrell now or he's gone. He's also next year's 2nd string QB once Flynn goes. But they don't want to trade Flynn because we all know how precarious the QB position can be.

I think Quinn Johnson is as good as gone.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Harrell looks OK, get a high draft pick for Flynn

IF Rodgers goes down and Harrell loses a couple games, that just means the PAckers will be seated lower in the playoffs like last year.

Fritz
08-20-2011, 02:34 PM
They barely squeaked into the playoffs with Rodgers missing only a game and a half. No, I don't think Harrell's ready to be trusted with the keys to the building quite yet.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2011, 02:51 PM
If Harrell can't play, cut him and replace him with a vet.
He has taken strides this year, I doubt he will be that much better next year.

I don't see the point in drafting young QBs, going through the growing pains, and then losing them to another team without compensation.
If you draft a QB to develop, trade them in the last year of their contract if they are any good. At least you get a year or two of their services as a backup, and you get a higher draft pick.

digitaldean
08-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Got some free tickets from my boss and saw last night's game.

My opinion FWIW...
-Sherrod got bitch-slapped silly at guard.
-Ryan Grant still doesn't have the pop to hit the hole as fast as is needed. He can run hard, but he missed a wide open hole last night that could've sprung him for more yds.
-Shields looked shaky last night in coverage and tackling.
-Hawk didn't play well in the tackling area either.
-That pass to Jennings TD was a thing of beauty. ARod can sure thread it.
-Borel sunk any chances to make the team.
-Chastin West is going to make the WR corps final spot VERY tough to decide. He'll be snagged off the p-squad if he gets dumped there again.

ThunderDan
08-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Just got back from GB.

Here were my observations from the game:

1. Lambeau was alive last night for a preseason game. Announced attendance 67,000+, high for a preseason game. Section 128 was packed.
2. Arod to Jennings TD was a thing of beauty, no way can that be stopped.
3. The starting D has been below average so far.
4. Fitzgerald is the best WR in the league handsdown. That catch he made was out of this world.
5. Lang is the starting LG.
6. Finley is going to catch 70+ balls for 1,200+ yards this year. He is almost uncoverable down the middle. Only a great play by Joey Porter could stop Finley on 1 occasion. On DDs catch for 20+ yards, Finley had a TD right down the middle if ARod had looked. I watched Finley almost exclusively when he was in the game, he got off the line of scrimmage no problem even when the Cardinals put a LB on him to slow his release.
7. The Packers are going to have at least 3 if not 4 WRs taken by other teams after the last cutdown. I wish there was a way to get something for them but I am guessing teams will wait.
8. Watching a game at Lambeau rocks. So glad we didn't lose any pre-season games.

red
08-20-2011, 05:25 PM

I don't see the point in drafting young QBs, going through the growing pains, and then losing them to another team without compensation.
If you draft a QB to develop, trade them in the last year of their contract if they are any good. At least you get a year or two of their services as a backup, and you get a higher draft pick.

absolutely blue dog, couldn't agree more

MJZiggy
08-20-2011, 05:29 PM
absolutely blue dog, couldn't agree more
How much of the fact that he hasn't taken strides has to do with the fact that there was not quarterback school this year? If it were a normal year and he had received the normal amount of developmental work as another year, I'd be right there with you, but the little jury in my head is still out on this one for a little bit yet.

vince
08-20-2011, 07:59 PM

That is diametrically opposed to the philosophy of team building that Thompson and McCarthy have implemented with so much success. If they have to pick up a vet QB off the street that has no experience in working with McCarthy in his offense, they will be seriously desperate. It's all about the quarterback and no one is better at developing them in-house out of nothing than McCarthy and Clements.

Getting Flynn's services for 3 years and a 3rd or 4th from a 7th, and getting Harrell for absolutely nothing are not bad deals.

mission
08-20-2011, 08:23 PM
How much of the fact that he hasn't taken strides has to do with the fact that there was not quarterback school this year? If it were a normal year and he had received the normal amount of developmental work as another year, I'd be right there with you, but the little jury in my head is still out on this one for a little bit yet.

He has taken strides.

I had to read it twice to make sure it wasn't talking about Justin. Graham looks more than solid despite some easily correctable mechanics in the pocket. Even Flynn has looked shaky and unsure in the pocket with some pressure.

vince
08-20-2011, 08:51 PM
He has taken strides.

I had to read it twice to make sure it wasn't talking about Justin. Graham looks more than solid despite some easily correctable mechanics in the pocket. Even Flynn has looked shaky and unsure in the pocket with some pressure.
QFT. I said Harrell isn't yet ready. Like you said Mish, he needs to correct his ball security and I think he needs to continue to build up his body like Rodgers has done, but he was fantastic last night I thought. While I still think there's no chance of Flynn being traded this year, Harrell is on pace with where Flynn was his second year, and he was the back-up that year. The difference is where the program is in the building process. They were growing then and the risk made more sense then IMO.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Just watched the game. Some things that stuck out to me.

That first touch by Alex Green was a beauty. Showed a lot there. Patience, acceleration, spin move, shake. Went down a little easy, but man it was easy to get excited after one play. I hate to say it, but with his forward body lean and athletic ability, he kind of reminded me of another famous A. Green for the Pack. He won't be that good. Ahman had off the chart measurables and a work ethic to match, but I'm excited about Green. We have a poor man's Dorsey Levens, a poor man's Eddie George, and a poor man's Batman in the backfield. :)

Walden had a bad game playing the run, but I did see a couple of pass rushes moves that I didn't see last year. Zombo kind of looked like he did last year.

Francois seemed to be everywhere, and D.J. Smith looks like he can play. Perhaps the depth at ILB isn't terrible.

Good to see Finley back and Driver healthy. With three good RBs, I can't see this offense disappointing. Perhaps it won't hit the lofty expectations that people have for it, but it should be even better than last year.

Anybody else feel like Shields is off to a slow start? I'm hoping he can improve on last year, but I hope he doesn't regress. Our defensive backfield is loaded with playmakers. Burnett fits right in.

Jarius Wynn actually impressed me. He looks improved.

I've heard Nick McDonald has struggled in camp, and he had some real letdowns in this game.

3irty1
08-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Jarius Wynn took some steps in the right direction. He might be better than Wilson now, and certainly better as a pass rusher.

DJ Smith is already a nice player. He's just plain fast. His height is a concern but if he can halfway cover he's a big find.

McDonald against the threes was a little maddening. You can tell what MM is so turned on about, the guy can anchor like crazy and hits moving targets at an elite level. Sometimes he just looks like he's being controlled by Madden when he can't find anyone to block. Hope he learns a lot from Wells.

Lang is such a Packer. Tough as nails.

The Vikings are drooling over the thoughts of us cutting MD Jennings.

I'm ready to see what all the DJ Williams fuss was about. Unleash him already.

The Packers might have the two best QB's in the NFCN. Certainly 2 of the top 4.

What does Tom Clements have to do to get an offensive coordinator or even HC job? I'm glad no one wants him but sheesh. He's a QB factory.

Quarless took a step forward as a receiver and a blocker. He could quietly become a fine player. Its as if God gave him some gifts.

Sherrod needs some NFL weight room. Both times he was beaten it was before he got out of his stance. He's just too long to play guard.

Newhouse is a crushing block in the run game for a LT. They gotta get him playing on the right side.

Alex Green seems to have good enough vision. Probably the fastest of the three backs over the span of 20 yards or so. He's got some nice wiggle too.

vince
08-21-2011, 09:25 AM
I've heard Nick McDonald has struggled in camp, and he had some real letdowns in this game.
I didn't see some of his work in the trenches, but he did impress me getting out leading on two screens. He took out two guys on the Alex Green play and created a lane for Grant to cut upfield on, only to have Grant go outside and into the guy McDonald had sealed to the outside. McDonald may well need to continue to get stronger and develop, but he looks to me like he has great movement and good potential for the future at center.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 09:57 AM
That is diametrically opposed to the philosophy of team building that Thompson and McCarthy have implemented with so much success. If they have to pick up a vet QB off the street that has no experience in working with McCarthy in his offense, they will be seriously desperate. It's all about the quarterback and no one is better at developing them in-house out of nothing than McCarthy and Clements.

Getting Flynn's services for 3 years and a 3rd or 4th from a 7th, and getting Harrell for absolutely nothing are not bad deals.
Your last sentence is confusing. Sound like you are advocating trading Flynn. I agree for a 1st or 2nd rounder only, because he's ready to be a good starter now.

I get McCarthy's strategy of developing QBs inhouse, then getting a cheap backup that lives and breathes the system. I'm onboard. But the QB has to be ready to backup in their second year, or the idea doesn't work. I see enough in Harrell that he can serve as the backup now. If I'm to optimistic on this point, cut his texas ass.

High draft picks are golden.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Jarius Wynn actually impressed me. He looks improved.
AFAIR, (as far as i remember) Wynn made his hay against the backup O-lineman. But I won't piss in the punchbowl.

Francois seemed to be everywhere, and D.J. Smith looks like he can play. Perhaps the depth at ILB isn't terrible. Francois looked pretty quick and sturdy. I'm not sure D.J Smith has made the roster. He makes mistakes. Definitely promise there.

Fritz
08-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Blue Dog, I think what Vince means is that if Flynn walks away as an FA and signs a pretty healthy contract to start at QB somewhere next year, the Pack will get a compensatory pick.

Also, thanks 3irty1 and Harv for the good analysis.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Blue Dog, I think what Vince means is that if Flynn walks away as an FA and signs a pretty healthy contract to start at QB somewhere next year, the Pack will get a compensatory pick . I see. I'm not so clear on compensatory picks.

Patler
08-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I didn't see some of his work in the trenches, but he did impress me getting out leading on two screens. He took out two guys on the Alex Green play and created a lane for Grant to cut upfield on, only to have Grant go outside and into the guy McDonald had sealed to the outside.

Screen to Grant? Do you mean the delay run to him? I don't think Grant had any receptions. Are you sure it was McDonald on the Grant run? I thought it was Wells. (Maybe I just assumed it was Wells because the starters were still in.) Dockett played that very well. Even if Grant cut the wrong way, whoever the blocker was, Wells or McDonald, Dockett tossed him aside like he was nothing.

3irty1
08-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I see. I'm not so clear on compensatory picks.

With the contract he'll get in FA, we're looking at a 3rd or 4th round pick in compensation most likely.

KYPack
08-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Nice job, 31. Should you get a new avatar, but maybe you should keep your "predator" for historical purposes.

I agree with your post on the game. etc. Green looks great, maybe he can work with Edgar on the sly to learn some blitz pick-up and blocking tricks. The kid is clueless in that area. Can Fontenot somehow channel some knowlege in that area and teach the kid a trick or two?

Some comments from the "dark side".

Guys we have to cut (or PS, whatever)

Pat Lee. I was happy when we drafted him. The CB from Auburn. I'd seen an Auburn game and they had a good looking kid at corner. Rough, but lots of skill & upside. When Lee got here, he looked like a different player. And he was. The kid I saw was drafted by NE. He's a pretty good hand. Lee is not. Lee has decptive speed. He's slower than he looks. Lee is a triple threat. He's slow, not quick and has bad instincts. He always makes the wrong choice. Passive when he should commit himself, out of position when he does. He's a former #2 pick, but let's use the Brian Brohm rule and cut his ass.

Ricky Elmore a Stand-up DE in college. The conversion to 3-4 OLB has failed. Ricky cannot hack the program. He gets killed in practice against our 3's, invisible in games. It didn't work, maybe PS, he's a kid. Don't think he can ever play in the NFL.

Brad Jones It's such fun to make a prediction about a guy and see him blossom and make you a "seer". I really liked Jones as a rook. A skinny dude, but showed some decent instincts and he gave a flash that he worked in the film room. Then, he had that horrible play-off game against the Cards in '09. I thought Jones might emerge as "the other guy opposite CMIII" I thought about posting that Jones would come on & be 'the guy' in 2011. Then, I figured I should wait and see what happened in a game or so. Would I have been wrong (Partially wrong?) Oh yeah. This kid has lost it. I saw him in goal line against Cleveland. He looks like Caspar the Friendly Ghost. The kid has forgotten how to play football or something. It would take a complete 180 for him to make the team. It's disappointing, but time to move on.

Fritz
08-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I like that one, KY - the "Brian Brohm" rule. This would be the opposite of the "BJ Sander" rule.

And I agree on Lee - I was rooting for the guy, but it seems clear he just doesn't have what it takes. And Jones, well, he does seem to have disappeared.

Patler
08-21-2011, 01:31 PM
With the contract he'll get in FA, we're looking at a 3rd or 4th round pick in compensation most likely.

I think we might all be disappointed in the draft pick the Packers get for Flynn leaving in free agency. I doubt he will sign that big of a contract in comparison to top QB contracts around the league, unless he gets significant playing time this year and performs well. Since that will require Rodgers to be out, I sincerely hope it does not happen.

Yoop
08-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Your last sentence is confusing. Sound like you are advocating trading Flynn. I agree for a 1st or 2nd rounder only, because he's ready to be a good starter now.

I get McCarthy's strategy of developing QBs inhouse, then getting a cheap backup that lives and breathes the system. I'm onboard. But the QB has to be ready to backup in their second year, or the idea doesn't work. I see enough in Harrell that he can serve as the backup now. If I'm to optimistic on this point, cut his texas ass.

how could you have seen enough of Harrell to be convinced he's ready to step into live action against a 1st team defense? thats a stretch of the imagination, lol it's rare to see a late rounder like Flynn be as ready as he is let alone Harrell with basically one off season of work, normally it takes 2 off season for most QB's to be ready, AR is the best in the league, why? because he got time to transition, sure today top picks are expected to play, but it's a money and shortage of talent problem mostly, imo every QB could be better when they start in the NFL if they had a season to groom first.

vince
08-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Screen to Grant? Do you mean the delay run to him? I don't think Grant had any receptions. Are you sure it was McDonald on the Grant run? I thought it was Wells. (Maybe I just assumed it was Wells because the starters were still in.) Dockett played that very well. Even if Grant cut the wrong way, whoever the blocker was, Wells or McDonald, Dockett tossed him aside like he was nothing.
I had a couple plays confused. Thanks for clarifying that Patler. I was thinking of another play where he got to the second level on a Green run that went for 5 yards. The Grant run was with Wells.

I did go back and look at every play McDonald was in the game on and there was only one negative play, which came in the first series where he got pushed back and Flynn was sacked by his guy after Flynn moved up in the pocket and McDonald no longer had leverage on his man. He got good push on the goal line score by Green and had a number of positive plays at center after that. I'm not sure how they look at a lineman who does what's expected of him but my guess after re-watching each play is that he graded out positive for the game.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Flynn is a great backup and would be a decent starter. I don't see a team giving more than a 3rd for him at this point.

Also with these three running backs we have the opposing defenses are going to have to respect our run game unlike last season. That's going to set for play action which should extremely help Rodgers game. Our offense is going to be scary good especially if the receivers cut down on drop passes.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Flynn is a great backup and would be a decent starter. I don't see a team giving more than a 3rd for him at this point.

Huh? Look what Cardinals gave up for Kolb! What has Kolb done in the NFL?

Flynn is young, yet has gone through an excellent training program and proved himself. A team that thinks he can be their starter will certainly give up a #2, at least.

vince
08-21-2011, 02:13 PM

He may be ready, but he's not as ready as Flynn. Harrell will be even more ready next year. I don't see how cutting him makes any sense whatsoever. Flynn is going to be gone one way or another after this year. When you're a draft and develop team, it's not a good idea to be devoid of a developmental QB when the back-up you've already developed is about to leave for a starting opportunity.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Huh? Look what Cardinals gave up for Kolb! What has Kolb done in the NFL?

Flynn is young, yet has gone through an excellent training program and proved himself. A team that thinks he can be their starter will certainly give up a #2, at least.

The Cardinals are idiots and were desperate to find a QB to keep Fitzgerald. If teams really thought Flynn could be their starter we would have heard rumors by now about teams asking about him. I mean Dolphins wouldn't even trade their #2 for Orton.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
After the early love for Williams, it seems like he's disappeared. I wonder where he's at in the coach's eyes. Taylor seems to be getting all the pub. Quarless seems to ahead of both. Crabtree (and Taylor) are on all of the top STs units.

3irty1
08-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I think we might all be disappointed in the draft pick the Packers get for Flynn leaving in free agency. I doubt he will sign that big of a contract in comparison to top QB contracts around the league, unless he gets significant playing time this year and performs well. Since that will require Rodgers to be out, I sincerely hope it does not happen.

If he performs THAT well it becomes an obvious decision to franchise and trade him a la Matt Cassel. I really thought Tom Clements would find himself a new job this year and would pay top dollar to get his boy Flynn back. Oh well.

Patler
08-21-2011, 04:29 PM
After the early love for Williams, it seems like he's disappeared. I wonder where he's at in the coach's eyes. Taylor seems to be getting all the pub. Quarless seems to ahead of both. Crabtree (and Taylor) are on all of the top STs units.

That's what makes the decisions at TE difficult. Crabtree and Taylor do what you need backup TEs to do, play well on special teams; but they are probably the 4th and 5th guys from the position perspective. Quarless will be the most ready to play in place of Finley. But from most reports, Williams has the most potential as a receiver behind Finley. There are reasons to keep all 5, at least until injuries make roster decisions change a little.

3irty1
08-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Flynn is easily worth a 2. To some extent being unproven works to his advantage. Guy hasn't been ruled out as a hall of famer. Can't say the same for Orton. Flynn has never even had a bad game.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm starting to think Taylor might make Crabtree expendable. I also hear that Quarless has really improved his blocking. Maybe keep West over Crabtree? Does West play any special teams?

vince
08-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm not so sure that Crabtree and Taylor both couldn't be counted on to line up in the backfield and kick out a linebacker in a short-yardage situation. If it's REALLY short yardage, bring in the Freezer baby.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Flynn is easily worth a 2. To some extent being unproven works to his advantage. Guy hasn't been ruled out as a hall of famer. Can't say the same for Orton. Flynn has never even had a bad game.

Trust me hes not worth a 2. His career stats are 3 TDs 3 INTs with a 73.2 QB rating. Hes a great backup so of course hes going to look good against 2nd string guys and the Pats who ranked dead last in pass defense last season.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm not so sure that Crabtree and Taylor both couldn't be counted on to line up in the backfield and kick out a linebacker in a short-yardage situation. If it's REALLY short yardage, bring in the Freezer baby.

I do too and that's why I think Quinn Johnson is gone. Taylor also played LB in college, hes pretty much Korey Hall with better hands.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Trust me hes not worth a 2. His career stats are 3 TDs 3 INTs with a 73.2 QB rating. Hes a great backup so of course hes going to look good against 2nd string guys and the Pats who ranked dead last in pass defense last season.

Its like dating. Most girls may look at you and think you are a 4. All it takes is one woman to see you as 7.5, and boom! you're sliding into home plate.

Some scout, according to McGinn last year, rated Flynn as the best backup in the league. That means some team(s) also probably has goo-goo eyes for him. It only takes one.