PDA

View Full Version : PackerRats Official Winners and Losers of GB Vs SD

Deputy Nutz
08-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Well I can see that Bretsky for some reason beat me to it. Anyways this will be a weekly article on the Home Page and in most cases it will be up just hours after the game. I do take the time to go back and watch the game over, and rewind it every now and then to get a better look at the player. Last year I focused on mostly individual players, this year I will add whole units, like this week I added the offensive line, and special teams as a whole. Well I hope you all enjoy it!

Winners and Loser of the Green Bay Vs San Diego

Well I have to apologize to all you loyal and die hard PackerRats that were patiently waiting at their computer for the first installment of the 2006 Official PackerRats Winners and Losers Column from last nights Green Bay Packers first preseason football game against the San Diego Chargers. I am happy to report that the delay was due to none other than my Brother and Sister in law having their first baby.

Before I get into who the Winners and Losers were from last night, I would like to comment on some players that maybe fell in the middle, such as AJ Hawk and Ahmad Carroll. AJ Hawk seemed to get better and better as the game went on. In the first series he gave up a quick seem route to the Chargers tight end Antonio Gates for 17 yards and a first down. Hawk seemed to be outclassed by the All Pro tight end on that play. Later on in the first quarter and second quarter Hawk seemed to find his rhythm on the field that he has been missing for most of training camp. He chased down ball carriers, and was able to make a nice tackle out in the flat on a flare pass by Phillip Rivers that Hawk read beautifully. Hawk does need to realize that it is not as easy to drag player down in the NFL as it was in college, and also that just sticking a shoulder into a running back isn’t going to drop him as easy as it was for him at Ohio St. Overall I think Hawk has things he needs to improve on, his blitzing for one, but his first taste of the NFL seemed to be an above average experience for AJ Hawk.

Ahmad Carroll got burnt like a bad piece of Rye by Phillip Rivers and Vincent Jackson for the Chargers first touchdown. Jackson has about 5 inches in extra height on Carroll, but Carroll bit on Jackson’s hesitation move, and that was all Jackson needed to get separation from Carroll to haul in a perfect pass from Rivers. Carroll then received an off setting person foul on the punt where the referee was injured. I am not to sure what happened on that play in regards to Carroll. Ahmad seemed to make some adjustments in coverage, and played several passes with excellent technique demonstrated by several pass breakups. No other corner has demonstrated the ability to unseat Carroll as the teams nickel back up until this point. Ahmad has chosen to live and let die, he doesn’t let past plays effect his current state of mind.

Favre was another player that could have and should have had a big game. Favre went 5-10 passing, but easily could have gone 9-10 passing if 3 or 4 of his passes would have been held on too. Other than his first attempt that totally missed his mark, all of his other 10 throws could have been caught. Favre seemed to still have the same old arm strength, and I don't know if Brett Favre at 30 would have been able to escape the pressure that he was under tonight. Favre could not escape three sacks, and was knocked down at least two more times in the first half. The offensive line needs to do a better job at recognizing the blitz, and also picking up stunts by the defensive line.

Winners

Charles Woodson, He will probably be most remembered on Saturday night for catching a punt, making several moves and then falling down in the same spot that he caught the ball, but on a night were the Packers secondary was torched regularly you never once heard Woodson’s name. Teams are unwillingly to test Woodson if they have too. Instead the Chargers decided to pick on Al Harris, and attack the Packers defense with their tight ends. Al Harris is going to have a long year if he doesn’t pick it up. Teams will be looking to match up and throw against Harris instead of going head to head against Charles Woodson.

Rod Gardner, he didn’t get very much time with the number one offense but he made the most of his time catching 2 passes from Rodgers in the second half. One of his passes was for 16 yards and a first down to keep the Packers only scoring drive going. On the play he made a nice diving catch at a ball in front of him. It was also nice to see Gardner get a little excited over the completion.

Aaron Rodgers, he was able to complete his first 6 passes of the night and not all of them were check downs to the running back in the flat. He still is too quick on his reads to his down field receivers, but he demonstrated a poise in the pocket that was a vast improvement from his time under center in 2005. He had one poorly thrown ball, and that was the interception. He had single coverage on Boerichter and didn’t hesitate to throw the ball up. The corner back just flat out beat Boerichter for the football. Rodgers was also able to scramble for 21 yards on three attempts. Rodgers has seemed to develop similar moves to Favre in avoiding the rush by angling his body in certain ways to make him harder to hit when an on coming defensive player has a clean shot at him.

Greg Jennings, He had a rough start, dropping two of Favre’s passes with one almost going for an interception, and then his next drop negated a first down on a fourth down and two situation. Even though Jennings dropped two passes on Favre’s last drive, he was able to haul on in for a first down just two plays after he dropped a previous pass from Favre. Then factors that stand out other than the dropped balls, are that Jennings was able to run good routes, and get open for the opportunity to catch passes. Jennings also dominated the passing game for the Packers in the second half, catching 4 balls total for 68 yards, and one of those catches set up the Packers only scoring opportunity when he hauled in a 48 yard pass from Rodgers.

Tyrone Culver, He was able to step in to the starting defense when Underwood went down with a serious knee injury. His play was far from spectacular, but for a sixth round pick being able to step in there with the first string defense and hold his own says something about this kid’s future with the Packers. Culver had shown several times in the game Saturday that he doesn’t shy away from contact, and wants to stick his nose in there and make hard tackles that will stop the moment of ball carriers, and hits that could lead to breaking up receptions.

Losers

Offensive Line, together they just played flat out terrible. They had trouble protecting the quarterback all night, and they could not maintain their blocks long enough to give the running backs room to run. They operated like a type writer most of the night, where one or two blockers would sustain their blocks, and then have a teammate lose their block to blow up the play. Clifton is just coming back off a knee injury and his time missed has hurt his transition to the new zone blocking scheme. Tauscher who always seems prepared, was confused by a simple twist between the outside linebacker and defensive end, and gave up a sack. Tauscher’s sack came just a play after Colledge let his defender through the middle to nail Favre. It seems like Jason Spitz and Scott Wells had the best outings of all the linemen for the Packers. Out of the back ups, White seemed to hold his own at center, but the second and third string linemen were still unable to open up holes for Samkon Gado or Noah Herron. To think that this line was going to gel in the running game and passing game by the first preseason game need to have their heads examined. This unit has a long way to go.

Al Harris, he is going to learn that he is going to get picked on with Charles Woodson playing opposite of him. Harris was lucky that Jackson was not able to get his feet in bounds, otherwise it would have been him getting schooled for the touchdown instead of Ahmad Carroll. Harris also gave up a ridiculous 10 yard catch to McCardell in the Chargers first drive. McCardell ran a simple 10 yards and then turned around, Harris was a good five yards off of him when McCardell got his hands on the ball.

Tra Boger, he took a terrible angle on Michael Turners 13 yard scamper for a touchdown. Boger was way outclassed on that play, he was lost in no man’s land. If he is going to make this roster he is going to have to improve his tackling ability. The play should have been stopped for a short gain, but instead it went for a touchdown.

Nick Barnett, What would the first official winners and losers be if I didn't include him. Barnett was totally out of place along with the rest of the defense on the first series when the Chargers ran a tight end screen to Manumaleuna who picked up 30 yards running. Barnett overcompensated to the screen that they set up on the left side of the formation. Barnett failed to realize that they’re were two tight ends to the right of the formation, Ben Taylor took Gates who ran a route down field, Manumaleuna went uncovered as he showed block. Barnett just overacted to the screen to the running back. More than anything it was a good designed play, but Hawk had sniffed out the screen to his side, Barnett should have recognized his coverage responsibilities to the right, and not over commited to the left.

Marviel Underwood, He blew his knee out in the first preseason game. There goes his only chance at starting. It was unfortunate because he had made vast improvement in the 2006 training camp. He had the opportunity with Manuel not being physically able to play, and now it looks that his season is finished.

Special Teams, the Packers averaged 18 yards on 4 kick off returns, and a meager 7 yards on punt returns. These are substandard statistics and if this team is going to improve in the win column this year those numbers have to improve. There were defenders running untouched down the field until the got to the ball carrier. The blocking and scheme failed miserably on Saturday. The punting was below average, with low hang time by both punters. They ended up averaging 42 yards a kick on 7 punts. The Packer did have a nice onside kick late into the fourth quarter that they were not able to capitalize on.

motife
08-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Jason Spitz was driven into the backfield, just overpowered completely against the 1st DT.

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey, Motife!! Where've you been?

pbmax
08-13-2006, 09:09 PM
And while Colledge definitely struggled with pass pro against the 1st teamers, several of the pressures were failed blitz pickups by running backs and TEs. Two of the sacks were LBs on blitzes. Scheme, game plan and playin the scout team would have helped.

Davenport looked lost trying to block. Everyone say a prayer for Ahman tonight.

4and12to12and4
08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
The play where Coston just stood there and got plowed backwards onto his ass, resulting in a sack, is imprinted in my mind. Youch, that was bad, I think he was back on his heels before any contact was even made. Maybe he was expecting him to try to go around him and was keeping his weight back so he could slide, but jeez, that was ugly.

Tony Oday
08-14-2006, 10:22 AM
All the analysts said that Barnett had a good game...

Fritz
08-14-2006, 01:53 PM
It sounds like a sorry performance most all the way around. Ugh. I'm truly disappointed in Orange Junius Coston, who was supposed to step up this year and become a solid right guard. It would have been far easier to incorporate one rookie guard instead of two.

Deputy Nutz
08-14-2006, 02:08 PM
I like to pick on Barnett

I wonder how cocky one Mrs. Junius Coston is now? I wonder who is camp foder this week?

wist43
08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
No winners. The entire team looked bad all the way down to the water boy.

You could write it off as being "just a preseason game", but the fact is that, man for man, the Packers got the snot kicked out of them physically. Granted the Chargers are a playoff calibur team, but the Packers showed no toughness or fight whatsoever. This is a very bad football team.

2-14 here we come!!!

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 03:01 PM
What is a bit wierd to me is that I've read that our 7th ranking on defense last year was transparent, partially because the Packers were ranked really high in the league against the opposition's #1 WR, but close to the bottom against #2-#5. So what does that mean then? We gave Harris lots of help last year covering #1? That Harris wasn't covering #1 all of the time? That Harris has slipped since 2005? Clearly, he was having a hard time on Saturday night. Yes, its early...

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 03:11 PM
What is a bit wierd to me is that I've read that our 7th ranking on defense last year was transparent, partially because the Packers were ranked really high in the league against the opposition's #1 WR, but close to the bottom against #2-#5. So what does that mean then? We gave Harris lots of help last year covering #1? That Harris wasn't covering #1 all of the time? That Harris has slipped since 2005? Clearly, he was having a hard time on Saturday night. Yes, its early...

The scheme tends to give a lot of help over the top to all corners. It doesn't bring the safety into the box much. However, Harris did cover the opposing #1 a lot--more than most corners--and I don't think he got anymore help than normal. He had a very good year last year. He looked pathetic on Saturday night, but I'm not worried about him yet. Even the great ones are going to have a rough game now and then. At least, when he did get burned by Vincent Jackson, he had decent coverage--unlike Ahmad Carroll.

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 03:17 PM

The scheme tends to give a lot of help over the top to all corners. It doesn't bring the safety into the box much. However, Harris did cover the opposing #1 a lot--more than most corners--and I don't think he got anymore help than normal. He had a very good year last year. He looked pathetic on Saturday night, but I'm not worried about him yet. Even the great ones are going to have a rough game now and then. At least, when he did get burned by Vincent Jackson, he had decent coverage--unlike Ahmad Carroll.

I'm not worried about him either, but if teams are going to focus on Harris and let Woodson do his thing, the spotlight will be on--exposing the good and the bad (and the ugly). Hope Saturday night was an anomoly.

Can anyone defend Carroll anymore? (Or, better yet, can Carroll defend anyone anymore?)

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Can anyone defend Carroll anymore? (Or, better yet, can Carroll defend anyone anymore?)

I'm not your huckleberry.

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 03:31 PM

Sounds like a job for Superfan! (he's got the Doc Holliday avatar!)

tyler

ahaha
08-14-2006, 03:36 PM
No winners. The entire team looked bad all the way down to the water boy.

You could write it off as being "just a preseason game", but the fact is that, man for man, the Packers got the snot kicked out of them physically. Granted the Chargers are a playoff calibur team, but the Packers showed no toughness or fight whatsoever. This is a very bad football team.

2-14 here we come!!!

Ouch.

You must think the bears are going to be even worse. Their first string teams got whipped by the pathetic 49ers.

FritzDontBlitz
08-14-2006, 04:43 PM

tyler

al harris covered most teams #1 receiver last year. ahmad carroll, the lbs and the other dbs were assigned to the other 4. harris shut most of the 1's down, everyone else struggled...

Scott Campbell
08-14-2006, 07:22 PM

When corners start to show their age, they go quickly.

Deputy Nutz
08-14-2006, 07:55 PM

Carroll Gave up the same play as Harris, and no one is bashing him. Carroll did a nice job coverage the rest of the night.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 08:48 PM
" When corners start to show their age, they go quickly." Scott Campbell

Age sets in rather quickly in the NFL. Al Harris was very fatigued last season after about a dozen games.

I really don't like OUR position at CB.

I don't like OUR position at alot of spots on OUR team. How did it really get this bad? I hate what I'm sensing sometimes. I hate laying blame square on the past, this or that man.

Sometimes like now. I get a little Packer low, but somehow spring back. I want a Packer steak again - not a tuna sandwich.

The ebb and flow. :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Carroll Gave up the same play as Harris, and no one is bashing him. Carroll did a nice job coverage the rest of the night.

I don't know. He gave up other plays. He also should have been flagged for pass interference on one play. I no longer give him credit for when he doesn't get thrown on. He may cover, but he has terrible ball skills and is grabby. It seems like the opposing team could make a play on him whenever they want. He looks like the same player. Carroll got beat by 3 yards by Vincent Jackson. It took a good throw for Al Harris, a slower player, to get beat by Jackson.

red
08-14-2006, 09:44 PM

I don't know. He gave up other plays. He also should have been flagged for pass interference on one play. I no longer give him credit for when he doesn't get thrown on. He may cover, but he has terrible ball skills and is grabby. It seems like the opposing team could make a play on him whenever they want. He looks like the same player. Carroll got beat by 3 yards by Vincent Jackson. It took a good throw for Al Harris, a slower player, to get beat by Jackson.

2 plays, he should have (or could have) been flagged on 2 plays. they were 1 ref down weren't they? a full crew might have seen it and called it. like the guys on tv said, the second time that carroll could have been flagged he mugged the guy a lot worse then driver got it when he drew a flag. on both plays he grabbed the other guys jersie and tugged it enough for the shoulder pad to come out, and on the first one he grab the WR at least twice on the arm before the ball got there. and he didn't get his head around to spot the ball like he's suppose to, the guys on tv said thats something they will (the refs) be watching closely, making sure the wr isn't just face gaurding, but makes a real attempt to find the ball in the air

both plays he didn't give up a catch on

mmmdk
08-15-2006, 03:27 AM
Here's my (Euro Danish) take on the GB at SD game. By the way, I just got my ticket for the Packers vs Rams game. Who's going too? I'd love to meet native Green'n'Gold fans prior to the game. See ya there!

Here goes:

Winners

Brett Favre - Playing behind that HORROR of an OL, well, he did pretty well. Actually, Favre looked sharp. On a fantasy note; I'd bring him up a notch or two but then again that OL can't protect any QB for more than a nano second.
Donald Driver - He's a stud, if not for bad OL QB protection, then Favre & Driver would've connected on a TD. Favre had to release .5 seconds too early. Yeah, that's the diffence between 6 points & 0 point in the NFL.
AJ Hawk - got good learning experience from Gates. From then on he was good. AJ Hawk is not a guy we should worry about, he'll earn praise soon.
Greg Jennings - two semi-drops and 4 catches. He's gonna be good.
Colin Cole - I like his game, he's around plays a lot. Sure tackler.
Tyrone Culver - he made a heck of a splash for a rookie, still it's only preseason.
Aaron Rodgers - I'm not worried about Rodgers. At all!

Losers

The whole offensive line - The horror, the horror. I'm no dooms day preacher but this unit lack talent...yes talent...and time also but there's just no depth. This unit is #32 in the NFL. When you watched the Charger OL, you could see how far behind the Packer OL is. It's a HUGE GAP.
Al Harris - Harris made the loser list due to one thing mainly; he was not in the game mentally.
Corey Williams - got manhandled mostly, even by tiny Sproles.
Nick Collins - not sure about this one but where was he; was he even playing?
Najeh Davenport - he somewhat looked tough running but OL did nothing to help create holes. Upon further review, Davenport looked limited, he bull runs you but he'll get the injury bug soon. He looked terrible in pass rush protection.
Mike McCarthy - he just made some bad calls, that's all - it's not a hating on MM. Mainly the 3 run plays and out. For not getting one of the kickers on the field to (try) get those 3 darn points early in the game. The kickers needed that and the team needed 3 points. For not getting the TE into the game more. For not getting the players pumped up; most of the players looked like they where THINKING FOOTBALL NOT PLAYING FOOTBALL. McCarthy was not bad though, he'll just have to do better. Rookie mistake.

Packers are going in the right direction but no SB this year :cool: 5-9 wins for the Pack of 2006.

mmmdk
08-15-2006, 05:57 AM
I just watched the monday practice interview with McCarthy; he was adamant on the notion that the Packer players were THINKING FOOTBALL NOT PLAYING FOOTBALL. I saw that too & that can be corrected. I still think Packers are not contending much for the playoffs but the direction of the team is spot on.

mmmdk
08-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Damn time zones...BUMP

bigcoz75
08-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Tra Boger got burnt bad on that one play where he took a horrible angle, but after that he played solidly and batted a few balls away from the receiver. Hodge was beat more badly AND more often on his coverages. I kept seeing a LB blowing up a Charger and thinking I'd see #55 crawl out of the pile but it was always either Barnett, Taylor or Hawk, Hodge just didn't get involved and was usually seen standing around the pile watching. Juice Coston made me want to cry how can anyone calling themselves an O lineman get blasted backwards 5 yards to his ass, by a LBer no less.

I was most glad to see the coaching staff actually make game time adjustments something i never saw out of Sherman.

Deputy Nutz
08-15-2006, 11:14 AM

2 plays, he should have (or could have) been flagged on 2 plays. they were 1 ref down weren't they? a full crew might have seen it and called it. like the guys on tv said, the second time that carroll could have been flagged he mugged the guy a lot worse then driver got it when he drew a flag. on both plays he grabbed the other guys jersie and tugged it enough for the shoulder pad to come out, and on the first one he grab the WR at least twice on the arm before the ball got there. and he didn't get his head around to spot the ball like he's suppose to, the guys on tv said thats something they will (the refs) be watching closely, making sure the wr isn't just face gaurding, but makes a real attempt to find the ball in the air

both plays he didn't give up a catch on

Now we are counting plays that he SHOULD have been flagged for? Are you kiding me? That could every play for corners.

Chubbyhubby
08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't know if anyone saw MNF last night but during the 4th quarter Joe Theisman was talking about he thought it was a mistake to bring back Favre. Favre should have retired. The team is clearly in a rebuilding mode and the Packers should have gave the reins to Rodgers.

Tony Kornheizer (sp) new to the MNF team stood up for Favre and said the Brett Favre is one of the most popular sports figures in Wisconsin and it would be stupid to not bring him back.

Personally I can't stand Theisman. That alone all of the Espn commentors. But Tony Kornheizer I do like. He had the balls to stand up for Favre. It will be intresting to watch the Monday Night Football games that the Packers will play.

During Monday Night Countdown before the game. They were ripping on the Packers. I hope the Pack can prove the National Media wrong this year and do alot better from last year.

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2006, 01:43 PM
I have had an deep disdain for Theesman for many, many years. The guy acts like his crap doesn't stink. He's overly effusive of 95% of the QBs out there, but not so much Brett Favre. Anyways. My initial take on Kornheiser is that he studies his craft, and he likely knows 5 times as much as Theesman thinks he knows. He seems like he's somewhat negative, but he knows he's stuff and seems fair. We'll see. I found myself agreeing with a lot of what he said last night. Tirico + Kornholio + anybody else would have been find by me. I can barely stomach listening to Theesman. Hell, put Tafoya or Kolber in the booth instead of him.

Deputy Nutz
08-15-2006, 01:48 PM
I miss Korns radio show.

LaFours
08-15-2006, 01:55 PM
I have had an deep disdain for Theesman for many, many years. The guy acts like his crap doesn't stink. He's overly effusive of 95% of the QBs out there, but not so much Brett Favre. Anyways. My initial take on Kornheiser is that he studies his craft, and he likely knows 5 times as much as Theesman thinks he knows. He seems like he's somewhat negative, but he knows he's stuff and seems fair. We'll see. I found myself agreeing with a lot of what he said last night. Tirico + Kornholio + anybody else would have been find by me. I can barely stomach listening to Theesman. Hell, put Tafoya or Kolber in the booth instead of him.

Does anybody have the video of Theismann getting his leg lopped off by LT? I think we should post that in response to his disdain for the Green & Gold...or for shock value. Either way is fine with me.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Tra Boger got burnt bad on that one play where he took a horrible angle, but after that he played solidly and batted a few balls away from the receiver. Hodge was beat more badly AND more often on his coverages. I kept seeing a LB blowing up a Charger and thinking I'd see #55 crawl out of the pile but it was always either Barnett, Taylor or Hawk, Hodge just didn't get involved and was usually seen standing around the pile watching. Juice Coston made me want to cry how can anyone calling themselves an O lineman get blasted backwards 5 yards to his ass, by a LBer no less.

I was most glad to see the coaching staff actually make game time adjustments something i never saw out of Sherman.

Yeah, that angle was embarrasing, and reminded me of Darren Sharper in his first couple of years. It's like Carroll. Even if he plays well 95% of the game, the 5% will kill ya. These guys need to be consistent, play in and play out.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Does anybody have the video of Theismann getting his leg lopped off by LT? I think we should post that in response to his disdain for the Green & Gold...or for shock value. Either way is fine with me.

Theesman gets his leg broke at 2:25 of this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YW-792dfw

LaFours
08-16-2006, 02:37 PM

Theesman gets his leg broke at 2:25 of this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YW-792dfw

Great work! From now on anybody feeling their distaste for this moronic boob festering up shoulc simply bump this thread up to the top so the rest of us can join them in mocking Theismann. What a douche.

Badgepack
08-17-2006, 08:54 AM
I finally got to watch most of the 1st game, couple of thoughts I haven't seen brought up yet.

On many of the Chargers 3rd down conversions, we had the ballcarrier hit before the 1st down marker, but couldn't bring them down, and they carried the extra 3-4 yards for the 1st down. Tackle the SOB's.

It seemed to me that the Charger receivers looked like frickin tight ends, they were huge next to our DB's

They were 2 or 3 plays where Aaron Rogers should have have personal fouls called due to late hits on him, none called.

Our defense tried to wear down the Chargers offense by making them have those 10 minute drives, but that didn't work so well.