PDA

View Full Version : Quinn Johnson/Vonta Leach

Patler
08-20-2011, 11:24 AM
The Packers kept Leach around for two years, then needed a roster spot and let him go. He stopped briefly in New Orleans before landing in Houston. In Houston it took him a couple more years before he really hit his stride as a blocker. I remember a comment made about Leach when he was cut, that he was a very effective blocker if you got him pointed in the right direction, but getting him pointed in the right direction was the problem. He also couldn't catch worth a darn.

I wonder about Quinn Johnson. If he is let go, will we look back 3 years from now and wonder if it was a mistake?

I fairness, I don't think I have seen QJ make the same types of obliterating blocks that Leach did as a Packer when he was "pointed in the right direction". Leach would occasionally just annihilate a linebacker. I believe Leach also has been a more effective ST player than QJ.

pbmax
08-20-2011, 11:33 AM
He doesn't get many decleaters and I have seen him defeated by backers who make a late move, suggesting at some point Johnson just puts his head down and runs forward. But he's got just about everything else and actual game experience has been in short supply with Hall, Kuhn and 5 TEs around. I also think he has the potential to be an outlet receiver because his hands seem OK, if inconsistent.

But the ST thing is killing him. That is what makes his roster spot questionable. Because at the end of the roster, its almost a must have. I think, outside of playing himself off the roster, he sticks because with Hall gone, there is no other true fullback.

red
08-20-2011, 11:39 AM
i don't think the packers use their full backs in the traditional way.

it seems like we run the ball a lot of of one back sets, you don't really see us running out of the I where the fullback blasts a way through the line

our fuulbacks seem to be more geared to pass catching, and special teams duty

i would love to see quinn blowing a huge hole for grant to run through, but i don't know if that's what the team wants. its like, instead of pounding the ball ahead and saying "here we come, try and stop us", we would rather go 5 wide and try and surprise them with a run

maybe i'm wrong, but that's what it seems like to me

rbaloha1
08-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Too inconsistent. Wonder if Ryan Taylor could be a lead fullback in goal line/short yardage situations?

Bretsky
08-20-2011, 01:10 PM
I liked Leach when he was here; he even looked alright catching the ball and IMO was just better than Johnson. I doubt we see a repeat after we let Johnson go

Patler
08-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I liked Leach when he was here; he even looked alright catching the ball and IMO was just better than Johnson. I doubt we see a repeat after we let Johnson go

I liked Leach too, but I remember him being awful trying to catch passes in GB. Better blocker than QJ even then, I think.

I don't think Johnson will be missed if he is cut, but I also think he will not be cut. If they kept him when Hall and Kuhn both were here, I don't see them releasing him now that Hall is gone, unless Hoese were to come on strong the next two weeks.

KYPack
08-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Red's right. The Pack under MM don't run power very much. They do lead with the FB lead, but only a few times a game. Leach was just like QJ. Out of 3 plays, he'd have one blow-up, one fuck-up, and one miss.

If Quinn would make a few plays, he'd be a force, but man, he's clumsy bugger. He made a nifty catch last year & I was almost shocked.

He has real trouble in blitz pick-up and pass pro. I think they keep him, but this is the last year for that.

Lurker64
08-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I think they cut Johnson, and that's less an indictment of him and more an indictment of the number of quality TEs we have on this roster, and the fact that, in a pinch, you can substitute certain TEs for Fullbacks.

I think we PS Hoese, or some other FB, in case Kuhn gets hurt long term, but I think we roll with 1 TE on the final 53 in order to make room for TEs. I think Ryan Taylor, Tom Crabtree, D.J. Williams, or Andrew Quarless would do more to help this team this year than Johnson.

3irty1
08-20-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure if QJ will get cut or not but I'll be surprised if he lasts long term. I think Korey Hall was pretty close to the ideal TT fullback. College teams don't put NFL athletes at the FB position so TT grabbed a the WAC defensive player of the year who would surely be a great special teamer, had good hands, above average athleticism for his new position. TT doesn't view FB's so much as blockers as hitters anyways so a former LB might be perfect. Unfortunately Hall never had much pop in his blocks.