PDA

View Full Version : Larry Fitzgerald signs 8 year deal

Brando19
08-20-2011, 09:56 PM
8 YEARS!!!!?!?! It's $50 million guaranteed. $120 million over the life of the contract. He's now the highest paid receiver in the NFL. I just find it odd that he signed for 8 years.

MadScientist
08-20-2011, 10:17 PM
What is the breakdown. Perhaps they needed the extra years to spread out the bonus, and they used the bonus to fill out their true spending requirement.

RashanGary
08-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Damn, Jennings is getting less than half that. I know Fitzgerald is great, but Jennings is great too.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2011, 11:37 PM
What will Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson get?

NewsBruin
08-20-2011, 11:53 PM
What is the breakdown. Perhaps they needed the extra years to spread out the bonus, and they used the bonus to fill out their true spending requirement.

Oooh! Oooh! I know! The max years a signing bonus can be amortized is 5. I think it's one of a billion anti-Jerry Jones clauses.

easy cheesy
08-21-2011, 01:47 AM
8 YEARS!!!!?!?! It's $50 million guaranteed. $120 million over the life of the contract. He's now the highest paid receiver in the NFL. I just find it odd that he signed for 8 years.

Holy CRAP! Well.... nice work if you can get it....He's really good, but, really.... that good?..... I wonder how much his agent gets? I wonder if the Seahawks and Mr. Pete should be concerned about losing their oh so deserved ***insert eye roll** status as NFC West Best, Worst, Burst, whatever title from last year, with Mr. Fitzgerald's commanding presence on the Card team? (Although Mr. Fitzgerald's presence didn't matter last year in the powerful presence that is the Hawks by ths Sea) ... ok... I'm being a "flip" jerkoff... but... seriously? LOL! Hmmmm.... and.... yawn...

To hear Petey spin it to the locals on every talk radio show that will "host" him here in the PACNW... Seahawks gonna tear it up this year... uhhhh... yeah...

and just as an aside... RIP USC football... thanks Pete!

easy cheesy
08-21-2011, 02:57 AM
Note to Larry.... take the money and RUN BABY RUN.... remember the Great and Powerful Wizard... smoke and mirrors... we'll see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRNTw6ZqCU

jmbarnes101
08-21-2011, 08:05 AM
All I can say is that the Titans are screwed. Guarantee you that Chris Johnson and his agent will be using this contract when it comes time to finally negotiating his contract. That situation just got a thousand times uglier. They wanted to wait and now they'll be paying the piper. Classic example of how not to deal with your best players.

To the Cardinals...$50 million guaranteed? For a WR? Are you nuts?! Good luck in the future. I'm glad there is only one Ted Thompson. Though if we can clone him to replace him with himself when he decides to hang it up that would be great.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-21-2011, 10:06 AM
They over paid. No wideout playing today is worth the much.

Fritz
08-21-2011, 10:22 AM
If you haven't read Cold, Hard Football Facts on the subject of highly-paid wide receivers, I suggest you do so. They do a good job showing that that's a position it never pays to overpay for - they call expensive wide receivers the "hood ornaments" of the NFL - pretty but not essential.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Did you guys not see that catch he made against us? Plus the guys a class act and their franchise player. They had to make that deal, they couldn't afford to lose him.

Patler
08-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Did you guys not see that catch he made against us? Plus the guys a class act and their franchise player. They had to make that deal, they couldn't afford to lose him.

I think $150,000 or so per reception is a lot to pay, even if the reception is made one-handed by the nicest guy in the world.

Brando19
08-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Imagine what Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson will get. Hopefully close to what Fitz got and it'll screw Minnesota and Detroit for years to come.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 02:11 PM
I think $150,000 or so per reception is a lot to pay, even if the reception is made one-handed by the nicest guy in the world.

It is a lot but hes worth it. The guy has a work ethic like Rice, there is a reason Greg Jennings goes to workout with him every off season.

red
08-21-2011, 06:32 PM
as patler has just pointed out in another thread, AP only has maybe 2 or 3 years left in the tank. if we're lucky, the queens will give him the same kind of deal and cripple the team for the next decade with a massive cap hit

CJ might be in the same boast. you just can't invest a lot in picks or money in running backs. its a waste of money

wr's last into their mid 30's and you can take a gamble on giving them a big deal. running backs, when they hit 30 or that carry limit, they're worthless

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 06:46 PM
as patler has just pointed out in another thread, AP only has maybe 2 or 3 years left in the tank. if we're lucky, the queens will give him the same kind of deal and cripple the team for the next decade with a massive cap hit

CJ might be in the same boast. you just can't invest a lot in picks or money in running backs. its a waste of money

wr's last into their mid 30's and you can take a gamble on giving them a big deal. running backs, when they hit 30 or that carry limit, they're worthless

How would it cripple them for a decade? NFL contracts are guaranteed

ThunderDan
08-21-2011, 07:55 PM
How would it cripple them for a decade? NFL contracts are guaranteed

Guaranteed? Not sure what you are saying there.

If Fitz has a career ending injury in year 2 of the contract you have the cap hit for his space. You are taking away from what you can pay other players on the roster for someone that isn't even on the team and with $15,000,000/year or over 10% of your total cap for the year that would be devastating to a team.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 08:05 PM
meant to say aren't

Upnorth
08-22-2011, 10:01 AM
So fitz is targeted maybe 15 x a game? Drags coverage another 10? He has direct impact on 1/3rd of o snaps? Wow! A qb maybe but wr???

Patler
08-22-2011, 10:35 AM
So fitz is targeted maybe 15 x a game? Drags coverage another 10? He has direct impact on 1/3rd of o snaps? Wow! A qb maybe but wr???

More like 10-11 targets per game. He had 173 last year, 153 in 2009, and 168 in 2008. League leader is usually around 175-190. Looking back a few years, no one has had 200 for WRs during the regular season.

It's a glamor position that carries too high of a price tag for the top guys.

Brandon494
08-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Some guys yea but not Fitzgerald. Dude goes all out every play and is one of the best blocking WRs in the game. He's also their franchise player entering his prime, remember he was only 19 when he was drafted.