PDA

View Full Version : Will Sherrod be ready to contribute this year?

Patler
08-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure that he will be. He seems much farther behind than Bulaga was last year, who I thought was giving Colledge a run for the starting LG spot until he was injured.

Sherrod could have gotten Rodgers knocked out of the game on the one sack last week. Whipped to the ground like he was, Rodgers easily could have sustained a shoulder injury, concussion, whatever. That's what happens when an O-lineman doesn't even touch the rusher. I know Sherrod was playing "out of position" at guard, but he got beat soundly at LT a couple times too.

Bulaga had occasional struggles last year too, but somehow seemed more ready than Sherrod.

Luckily, Newhouse might be able to step in at LT if need be.
McDonald and/or EDS hopefully can cover the interior positions.
That leaves backup at RT. Newhouse's struggles there this year are consistent with his problems there last year. At one time the Packers implied that he just was not comfortable playing on the right side of the offense. That diminishes his value, but they might have to keep him to backup Clifton, because I don't think Sherrod will be ready this year.

The number of O-line to keep is being discussed in a couple threads, and I don't want to take this one that direction too. But If Sherrod isn't ready to play, I think they will be foreced to carry at least 9 just to have a backup for each position.

Brando19
08-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Bulaga seemed more ready than Sherrod for one reason...THE LOCKOUT. These rookies are WAY behind. Sherrod will struggle to learn techniques this year and he'll be ready to contribute big time next year.

Smeefers
08-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Agreed. The lockout killed the rooks. I don't really want to see that inexperience in the line. I'm more than happy to have TJ lang in there. He looked pretty solid to me.

red
08-21-2011, 12:20 PM
the thing that pissed me off the most about the sack he gave up was that he just turned around and walked away.

you just got your franchise QB killed, get your fat ass over there and make sure he's alright and help him get up

this would be the main reason patler that i could see them carrying 9 o linemen. sherrod just might not be able to do much this year, so you would need 3 other guys that CAN contribute this year

Patler
08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
The reason he isn't ready doesn't really matter. I wasn't indicting his future, just debating his present.

On the sack against Rodgers, I would have preferred seeing him grab a jersey, shoving the guy from behind, or doing anything rather than exposing Rodgers to an unhindered hit from a rushing DL like he did.

Fritz
08-21-2011, 12:35 PM
From all I've read, he looked better earlier in camp than he does now - my guess is that he's now getting more and more of the offense and it's confusing to him. He might be getting paralyzed by the information overload. But can he learn enough to contribute this year? It sounds to me like the answer is no - he'll be a game-day inactive for at least the first half of the season, depending on the injury situation.

As has been said before in another thread by Harlan, it seems like a weird mix of talent - three left tackles, nobody who can really back up at left guard or right tackle (I think I read that McDonald can play RG but is shaky on the left).

I wonder if Newhouse's troubles learning the right side are insurmountable. If he could back up right and left tackle, that would allow for some more flexibility in terms of who to keep.

KYPack
08-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I know, man. The kid's hitting the rookie wall in the second pres-season game. P's comment about Sherrod giving up that sack is something I meant to post about. He accelerated that pass rusher. Then he slumped off the field. If your guy is gonna hit the QB, tackle his ass. Do not let get a free swing at out QB, kid. That's the big rule

The other thing I saw that pissed me was Lang at LT. Lang gave up an ugly edge rush sack. I thought why? Lang ain't gonna be the starting LG and back-up LT is he? Any work at LT by him is a waste. Sherrod is a back-up T, let's find the back-up at the other positions and get to work.

rbaloha1
08-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Recall Bulaga had a poor game against the Dolphins. From there, BB had a good season.

Sherrod will contribute as the occasional backup to Cliffy.

Newhouse is improving on the right side and should be okay.

Patler
08-21-2011, 01:11 PM
The other thing I saw that pissed me was Lang at LT. Lang gave up an ugly edge rush sack. I thought why? Lang ain't gonna be the starting LG and back-up LT is he? Any work at LT by him is a waste. Sherrod is a back-up T, let's find the back-up at the other positions and get to work.

I think you will see that from here on. I suspect they are in a bit of a quandary.
Sherrod may not be ready to play at any position for a while, but you have to keep him.
Newhouse may be a one-position backup, which is less than ideal, but you might have to keep him for LT.

If Lang is as effective as Newhouse at LT, and if Newhouse can only play LT, they might not keep Newhouse. I think he will be kept, however.

Rumor has it that Lang has practiced some at every position, including center. They are probably trying to determine if it might make sense to play musical chairs if an O-linman goes down.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 01:38 PM
The depth at offensive line is looking increasingly shaky. Sherrod melts down in a preseason game. Newhouse up and down, and not thought to be a RT. Guru McGinn announces that McDonald is not strong enough to play RG.

I think Sherrod will likely come around and be OK, as he was for a couple weeks. But the overall depth chart looks ricketty, they will have to weaken two positions in event of an injury. Here's how I see it:

LT Clifton - Sherrod
LG Lang -Sherrod
C Wells - McDonald
RG Sitton - Lang
RT Bulaga - Lang

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 01:41 PM
A little perspective: the Packers have 5 very good starters. Vikings would love to have the Packers OL problems.

I am unhappy about the depth at OL and DL, but maybe that is a salary cap era phenomena.

Lurker64
08-21-2011, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Sherrod is a healthy scratch in a lot of games early in the season.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Sherrod is a healthy scratch in a lot of games early in the season.

who you got penciled in as backups at LG and LT?

its possible you are right that Newhouse will beat him out, but I lean towards Sherrod shoring up.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Here's how I see it:

LG Lang -Sherrod

Finally!

vince
08-21-2011, 02:27 PM
The depth at offensive line is looking increasingly shaky. Sherrod melts down in a preseason game. Newhouse up and down, and not thought to be a RT. Guru McGinn announces that McDonald is not strong enough to play RG.

I think Sherrod will likely come around and be OK, as he was for a couple weeks. But the overall depth chart looks ricketty, they will have to weaken two positions in event of an injury. Here's how I see it:

LT Clifton - Sherrod
LG Lang -Sherrod
C Wells - McDonald
RG Sitton - Lang
RT Bulaga - Lang
I tend to agree with this, although I'm not sure about the term "increasingly." I don't think the depth has ever been proven in the first place.

Sherrod is developing, but there's every reason to think he will. Same with Newhouse when he moved from left side to the right. I think both guys have the tools to play tackle. Newhouse needs to play RT IMO but I think he can.

I'm not ready to denounce Sherrod for this whole year based on his bad game Friday night. He needs more work, but he has the tools. As of now, I'd say there's not much for this year behind McDonald. Maybe EDS if he's kept. I think McDonald is your back-up RG and Newhouse the swing tackle.

Schlauderaff, Campbell and Dominguez look like the next three and none of those guys have demonstrated they're ready for primetime yet, although they all appear to have potential.

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 03:08 PM
From all I've read, he looked better earlier in camp than he does now - my guess is that he's now getting more and more of the offense and it's confusing to him. He might be getting paralyzed by the information overload. But can he learn enough to contribute this year? It sounds to me like the answer is no - he'll be a game-day inactive for at least the first half of the season, depending on the injury situation.

As has been said before in another thread by Harlan, it seems like a weird mix of talent - three left tackles, nobody who can really back up at left guard or right tackle (I think I read that McDonald can play RG but is shaky on the left).

I wonder if Newhouse's troubles learning the right side are insurmountable. If he could back up right and left tackle, that would allow for some more flexibility in terms of who to keep.

I think its mainly the confusion factor. He has fared well in one on one battles from what I have read, but he needs to get the assignments down cold.

As for his watching and doing nothing when he got beat....that is a product of not knowing how to react. I read he gave up like one sack his entire college career.

KYPack
08-21-2011, 03:22 PM
A little perspective: the Packers have 5 very good starters. Vikings would love to have the Packers OL problems.

I am unhappy about the depth at OL and DL, but maybe that is a salary cap era phenomena.

Point well taken, Blue Hound.

The Queenies or the Bears will grab one of our cuts in Sept, IMHO.

RashanGary
08-21-2011, 03:28 PM
In April

They have a tape out with every offensive snap of Southern Miss vs Kentucky. I watched Sherrod.

One thing I notice about really good OT's, they slide, plant, punch, slide, plant, punch in a very natural rhythmic way. Bulaga had that coming out of Iowa. The guy hoodie drafted this year had that. When that punch is coordinated with the steps, it knocks guys back and really adds to the pass set.

Sherrod didn't have that. He seemed to put his arms out, but there wasn't much impact. He didn't have a regular slide/plant/punch technique, at last not a powerful pronounced one like some other guys. Instead of punching guys back, he just kind of stayed in front of his guy and moved back slowly into the QB. It was good enough in college, but if he doesn't knock Julius Peppers back a step, he'll go right through him.

I think Sherrod is much more of a project than Bulaga. Bulaga had good coaching and good technique from day 1. I think there is a reason teams like to draft OL from pro-style systems. Sherrod is a naturally huge guy, he's a great athlete, he's a hard worker, smart guy and he's pretty good already, but I think it's going to take a year before we really want him protecting AR's blind side. Unlike Bulaga, he seems to have a couple glaring technique holes in his game coming out. That's probably why he fell to us. Teams never know how a guy will transition if they didn't see him do it in college.

3irty1
08-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Meh, Bulaga didn't win the RT job right out of camp. Sherrod has been playing guard for like 3 weeks. By the time we need him he'll be ready.

Patler
08-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Meh, Bulaga didn't win the RT job right out of camp. Sherrod has been playing guard for like 3 weeks. By the time we need him he'll be ready.

No he didn't win the RT job right out of camp, but I think he mostly had won the LG job away from Colledge. But Bulaga was injured and missed a couple weeks, so Colledge held his spot.

rbaloha1
08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Larry McCarren is not an advocate of flip flopping. Hopefully they figure out which players should be on the left or right side.

wist43
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
The learning curve can be steep for an OL... but Sherrod looked completely lost.

Maybe he's a 8 year starter and pro bowl calibur player in a few years, but right now, they can't put him on the field - Rodgers would be on IR by week 3.

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Larry McCarren is not an advocate of flip flopping. Hopefully they figure out which players should be on the left or right side.

Some guys can do it and some can't. Lang can go back and forth, because he gets by on nasty scrappiness. He doesn't use great leverage. It doesn't surprise me that a long athletic guy like Sherrod is struggling at guard where you can't ride a guy wide. I would ride guys 9 yards upfield on the left side, but I sucked on the right. I am right handed and liked to get my right hand under the shoulder pads and twist a guy out and then run him wide as he tried to turn. I was quick, so I did it well. I can't speak for all the guys on the Packers without analyzing them a lot more, but its not a clear cut thing that applies to all. Bulaga seemed to have no problem switching to guard or the right side. Very technically sound.

KYPack
08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
I think Harlan asked about this guy. I got a candidate, the best back-up LG has:

An awful number (56?)
An ugly body
A squatty physique (6'? maybe)
Huge Thunderthighs at 315 Lbs
And is a longshot to make the roster.

Sampson Genus played his ass off at LG. I finally watched the end of the Card game (4th Quarter) Genus may not be pretty, but he knows the LG job. Suh or any of the top guys would probablyeat him alive, but he's done easily the best job of anybody at LG. He probably goes PS, but I feel a helluva lot better after seeing that tape on him. He may not be the answer, but at least he would be an alternative for back-up at LG

Deputy Nutz
08-21-2011, 09:04 PM
You take a young guy without OTAs and you force feed him a another position he is not acustom to playing and then flip him back to tackle and people bitch that he can't block. I had no problems with him last week. He had a horrible week against the Cardinals, but he is talented and if he just had the chance to focus at left tackle I think he would be more than capable to back up Clifton. He might not have the mental capacity to bounce around and that is ok. The coaching staff should have known better, and Thompson should not pressure the coaching staff to play first round picks.

Sherrod should be just fine, he is athletic enough he just stalled out mentally right now.

KYPack
08-21-2011, 09:34 PM
You take a young guy without OTAs and you force feed him a another position he is not acustom to playing and then flip him back to tackle and people bitch that he can't block. I had no problems with him last week. He had a horrible week against the Cardinals, but he is talented and if he just had the chance to focus at left tackle I think he would be more than capable to back up Clifton. He might not have the mental capacity to bounce around and that is ok. The coaching staff should have known better, and Thompson should not pressure the coaching staff to play first round picks.

Sherrod should be just fine, he is athletic enough he just stalled out mentally right now.

Agreed 100%. I saw him on the sideline after he gave up an ugly sack at LT. He looked like the lone survivor in a 3 car wreck. He was flat stunned.

The kid had his awful rookie PS game. Time to move on. Nutz, watch that kid Genus and tell us what you think.

Deputy Nutz
08-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Good feet, completes his assignment. I watched the fourth quarter and with his size he needs to initiate contact and drive block, he can't get beat with his hands. Right now he is competing for the 9th spot on the offensive line.

Cilfton
Sherrod
Lang
Wells
Sitton
Bulaga
Newhouse

these guys are the locks to make the team.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2011, 07:35 AM
I would think the camp battle now is between Newhouse and Sherrod at LT.

vince
08-22-2011, 07:49 AM
I would think the camp battle now is between Newhouse and Sherrod at LT.
I remember when you said the cards were stacked against Lang in the guard competition. I think the cards are stacked against Newhouse in this competition. He needs to get himself ready to play RT. Someone needs to be ready to play RT and it's not Lang.

vince
08-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Good feet, completes his assignment. I watched the fourth quarter and with his size he needs to initiate contact and drive block, he can't get beat with his hands. Right now he is competing for the 9th spot on the offensive line.

Cilfton
Sherrod
Lang
Wells
Sitton
Bulaga
Newhouse

these guys are the locks to make the team.
I think you can add McDonald to that list.

Brando19
08-22-2011, 07:52 AM
The reason he isn't ready doesn't really matter. I wasn't indicting his future, just debating his present.On the sack against Rodgers, I would have preferred seeing him grab a jersey, shoving the guy from behind, or doing anything rather than exposing Rodgers to an unhindered hit from a rushing DL like he did.

Right, but you said he seems much farther behind than Bulaga was last year. That's because he hasn't had the OTA's/mini camps Bulaga had. He would look totally different had the lockout not occured.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2011, 07:54 AM
I expect that MM will reshuffle his line to get the 5 best players on the field. So I guess Sherrod is the first one off the bench. I would be better if Newhouse can prove competent at RT, maybe you are right, but not clear so far.

Patler
08-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Right, but you said he seems much farther behind than Bulaga was last year. That's because he hasn't had the OTA's/mini camps Bulaga had. He would look totally different had the lockout not occured.

I don't disagree; but, again, it doesn't matter one bit why he is behind where Bulaga was. All that matters is whether he will or will not be able to be counted on this year. If not, it kills a roster spot that he will use up.

Upnorth
08-22-2011, 09:51 AM
OL seems to be a spot that needs time to mature normally. Compund that with the short offseason and I think we can understand Sherrod's struggles. Unfortunately it looks like he just wastes a spot till midseason.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2011, 10:46 AM
I remember when you said the cards were stacked against Lang in the guard competition.

yes, but the cards proved to be a house of cards. I agree that the Packers very much want to find a role for Sherrod, and will prefer him against Newhouse at LT.
I do think Lang is the backup RT just because the dropoff to Newhouse or Sherrod at that spot is too deep. But it is hard to predict how these guys will do in next couple weeks. its been a roller coaster with Newhouse & Sherrod.

3irty1
08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
The guy has Ryan Clady upside and we got him in the bottom of round one, that doesn't happen with guys who are going to come in and ball right away. Most teams need to press their 1st round OL into service right away but we have the luxury of sitting. I hope he doesn't contribute this year because that will have meant that Clifton had another solid year. If something terrible happened and we needed him? My guess is that he'd be invisible by the end of the year, at least in pass pro. There is no shame in being the 6th or 7th best OL on this team.

rbaloha1
08-22-2011, 11:45 AM
The guy has Ryan Clady upside and we got him in the bottom of round one, that doesn't happen with guys who are going to come in and ball right away. Most teams need to press their 1st round OL into service right away but we have the luxury of sitting. I hope he doesn't contribute this year because that will have meant that Clifton had another solid year. If something terrible happened and we needed him? My guess is that he'd be invisible by the end of the year, at least in pass pro. There is no shame in being the 6th or 7th best OL on this team.

There is an over reaction to Sherrod. The dude is a left tackle. His mistakes with pad level are easily correctable with reps.

Next year Sherrod takes over for Cliffy. 10 year+ veteran with multiple pro bowls.

Patler
08-22-2011, 12:45 PM
McGinn's article today raises concerns about Sherrod.
McGinn's comments:

He played as poorly as any lineman has in a long time. (Does McGinn remember Allen Barbre?)
Graded him as "negative" on 40% of his plays this week.
Said he was equally bad at guard and at tackle.
Worse this week than last week.
Excuses of no off season program don't matter, only performance matters at this point.

I hope the kid can show some improvement the next two weeks. If not, it doesn't look like the Packers can go into the season counting on him to contribute if he is needed.

On the other hand, McGinn said Newhouse played much better at RT, and didn't look uncomfortable at all, unlike last week.

Freak Out
08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Going off what I saw of him in the AZ game only, there is no way we want him on the field at this point. He might contribute later in the year but right now he is a liability.

Patler
08-22-2011, 02:10 PM

I think you will see that from here on.

Rumor has it that Lang has practiced some at every position, including center. They are probably trying to determine if it might make sense to play musical chairs if an O-linman goes down.

KY; Looks like they will be settling into their positions this week
From MM's comments after practice:

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1302274847/tom1_normal.JPG (http://twitter.com/TomSilverstein)TomSilverstein:
TJ Lang will run with the 1s this week and play with 1s against INdianapolis. He will run exclusively at guard and not play left tackle. [via Twitter]That said, apparently Lang took a few snaps at center today.

Joemailman
08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
TomSilverstein: Derek Sherrod has a knee sprain. Both he and Cobb may come back this week. B.Jones has a knee sprain and is day to day. [via Twitter]

Was he playing with an injury Friday night? If he was, could possibly explain some of his problems Friday night.

bobblehead
08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Agreed 100%. I saw him on the sideline after he gave up an ugly sack at LT. He looked like the lone survivor in a 3 car wreck. He was flat stunned.

The kid had his awful rookie PS game. Time to move on. Nutz, watch that kid Genus and tell us what you think.

Of course I deleted the game about an hour ago. Wish I had read this first, but I will watch him next game, or NFL net might replay the game again.

Fritz
08-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Well, any missed practice time is going to set this young man back. So in answer to the thread question, it's looking slightly less likely that the kid will be able to contribute much, at least early in the year.

Brandon494
08-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Keep him at LT, he'll be fine. Unlike most teams who draft a OT in the first round we don't have to rush him.

KYPack
08-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Of course I deleted the game about an hour ago. Wish I had read this first, but I will watch him next game, or NFL net might replay the game again.

I just deleted it mesself. Now I wanna watch Zombo, Can't believe he played with a broken scapula.

Watch Genus, Bobble, he's interesting. He was a center in college and supposedly is great at shotgun snaps. He's ugly, but a real scrapper type.

King Friday
08-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I've never been a big fan of Thompson's approach to drafting OL talent. Thompson is a hell of a talent evaluator, but his weak spot is certainly the OL. Colt McCoy looks like Tom Brady this preseason, and it is because the Browns have a hell of an OL. Aaron Rodgers behind that kind of OL will always be dominant even if I'm out there at WR. However, a weak OL can make even the best QBs look very mediocre.

Sherrod was hurt by the lockout, but that is no reason to show regression halfway into preseason. I was never keen on the LG scenario for him. The kid is obviously a tackle. He doesn't have the skills or disposition IMO to play inside. He may be more ready to contribute in the second half of the season, but he looks to be virtually useless at this point. Pencil him in as backup LT and keep it as simple as possible for the kid at this point.

Fingers crossed that Clifton can hold up one more year.

vince
08-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Thompson has whiffed on a few guys on the OL, but I think he's changed the approach a bit and recovered nicely. With the implementation of the ZBS, it was pretty clear they were drafting guys they thought could move well - at the expense of girth. Colledge, Spitz, Barbre, Giacomini, Moll... All those guys were supposed to move well and all were right around 300. All were tackles and some were converted tight ends in college. All either never developed or got pushed around too much.

Lately, he's been drafting and signing guys who are over or closer to 320 than 300 and his success rate has improved. Sitton, Lang, Newhouse, Bulaga, Sherrod, McDonald... Many of those guys are as yet unproven, but looking at Sitton, Lang and Bulaga and the development of Newhouse and McDonald thus far gives evidence he's getting on the right track.

Deputy Nutz
08-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Thompson's picks that have panned out are all high round picks, his lower round picks haven't work out all that well so I can't say he is any better or worse than any other GM in drafting linemen.

vince
08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Sitton was a 4th, Lang a 5th, Newhouse a 5th or 6th, McDonald undrafted - Sitton's an obvious success, the others are still open books but look like they have potential...

I guess you can say Colledge worked out, but I'd argue that. Spitz was a 3rd I think. Bulaga looks like he's going to be a stalwart.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
but looking at Sitton, Lang and Bulaga

How can you call Lang a success story like Sitton & Bulaga? Lang has been nothing special when he has gotten on the field. Lets see how he does.

vince
08-22-2011, 10:34 PM
How can you call Lang a success story like Sitton & Bulaga? Lang has been nothing special when he has gotten on the field. Lets see how he does.
Lang held up OK as a rookie when pressed into action. I'm not calling him a success but he looks like he'll be more stout than what we've seen at the positon before. It is consistent with a slightly tweaked approach to selecting guys on the o-line.

bobblehead
08-23-2011, 07:04 AM
I just deleted it mesself. Now I wanna watch Zombo, Can't believe he played with a broken scapula.

Watch Genus, Bobble, he's interesting. He was a center in college and supposedly is great at shotgun snaps. He's ugly, but a real scrapper type.

We can put him in at center when Harrel is in. I heard he is great from the shotgun. But I will watch Genus next game.

bobblehead
08-23-2011, 07:09 AM

Lang is going to be good. I was so disappointed when he came in last season still hurting from the list. I would have bet money he was going to take the LG spot from college. This season we will see the difference. This team can run the ball.

KYPack
08-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Lang is going to be good. I was so disappointed when he came in last season still hurting from the list. I would have bet money he was going to take the LG spot from college. This season we will see the difference. This team can run the ball.

Lang had a spectacular rookie year. He started games at both tackle spots. He is the first Packer rook to start two games at LT since Cliffy did it. Lang also played guard his rookie year and did it well. Last year was Lang's wrist year and it was a lost season.

Play lang at LG and let him get in the swing. Find a different back-up for the LT spot. Lang tried to play that last week and it screwed him all up. I, too, think we'll have a better OLine this season.

mraynrand
08-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Find a different back-up for the LT spot. Lang tried to play that last week and it screwed him all up. I, too, think we'll have a better OLine this season.

On at least a couple of plays, Lang had LG footwork out there at LT. It looked bad.

rbaloha1
08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Lang held up OK as a rookie when pressed into action. I'm not calling him a success but he looks like he'll be more stout than what we've seen at the positon before. It is consistent with a slightly tweaked approach to selecting guys on the o-line.

Agreed. IMO TT has done an excellent job of drafting o-linemen. TT does not determine which position they play (TT is not a coach.)

How many veteran free agent o-linemen has TT pursued recently?

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Lang is going to be good. I was so disappointed when he came in last season still hurting from the list. I would have bet money he was going to take the LG spot from college.

Odds were in Lang's favor to beat-out Sherrod, even if the team wanted Sherrod to succeed.

I'm dissappointed in Sherrod, but its very early yada yada yada

I don't have a strong sense about Lang, lots of mixed signals. But he's at that career point where a lot of players emerge.

mraynrand
08-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't have a strong sense about Lang, lots of mixed signals. But he's at that career point where a lot of players emerge.

Lang cheered the team on successfully during the Superbowl.

vince
08-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Odds were in Lang's favor to beat-out Sherrod, even if the team wanted Sherrod to succeed.

I'm dissappointed in Sherrod, but its very early yada yada yada

I think its just as likely that the team pretty much knew that Lang would probably win the job, but didn't think it was a good idea to just hand him the starting gig uncontested. That and challenging Sherrod immediately by forcing him to learn the o-line inside and out were the best ways to develop him for the NFL. They'd like to dress only 7 linemen if they could get away with it. In order to do that, you can't have non-starters playing only one spot.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
The Packers still don't have a decent option to backup LG. they need Sherrod to get it together and play acceptably at both LT and LG.

I don't think the depth at OL is looking so rosy. Hopefully Newhouse, Sherrod & McDonald progress.

vince
08-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Agreed. The depth is unproven to say the least. The first 5 look very good though IMO.

Upnorth
08-24-2011, 11:46 AM
It is great to be a fan when your concerns are about depth and not starters. On the Oline we have 5 solid starters and many teams in the league can say that. Sherrod, Newhouse and Macdonald all seem to have high ceilings once they gain experience. So long as injuries hold off to midseason we are set on Oline this year I think.