PDA

View Full Version : Little Competition For Starters

Joemailman
08-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I was going to start a thread where people could predict who the opening day starters would be. But when I started to think about it, I realized that there really is very little competition for starting positions. Is it unusual for a 4-12 team to have so little competition for starting positions? Here is a position by position rundown:

C: Scott Wells Lock
G: Daryn Colledge Lock
G: Jason Spitz Close to a lock-no one emerging
LT: Chad Clifton Lock
RT: Mark Tauscher Lock
TE: Bubba Franks Lock
WR Donald Driver Lock
WR Open competition
RB Ahman Green Lock if healthy, otherwise open competition
FB William Henderson Lock
QB Brett Favre Lock

DT: Ryan Pickett Lock
DT: Open Competition
DE: KGB Lock
DE: Aaron Kampman Lock
SLB: Ben Taylor: Near Lock
MLB: Nick Barnett: Lock
WLB: A.J. Hawk: Lock
CB: Charles Woodson Lock
CB: Al Harris Lock
S: Nick Collins: Lock
S: Marquand Manuel Lock if healthy
K: Billy Cundiff Near Lock
P: Jon Ryan Clear Edge

It appears there are only two positions where there is no clear cut favorite. DT opposite Pickett, and WR opposite Driver. Maybe it suggests our starters are pretty good, or maybe it's an indication that we have a lot of young players who need another year or two before they will be ready to compete for a starting position. Or maybe it means we have no depth. Thoughts?

BallHawk
08-13-2006, 08:30 PM
No way Ben Taylor is close to a lock, you could even argue Hodge has a better shot there right now.

RashanGary
08-13-2006, 08:44 PM
I pretty much agree with your post and it's interesting to see on paper like that. Is it the depth? It was awfull a year ago and 2 years ago. It's getting better but not good enough to be considered a strength like Seattle.

It takes 5 years of good drafts for depth to really sink in. I think the Packers will make a legit run in a few years. Right now, they're just building from ground up.

Patler
08-13-2006, 09:01 PM
No way Ben Taylor is close to a lock, you could even argue Hodge has a better shot there right now.

You could argue Hodge has a better shot than Taylor?? Based on what?

BooHoo
08-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Interesting point. I guess it does look like there are only a few open starting positions.

Yes, last year was terrible but I wonder how we would have done if we didn't have all of the injuries to key people? Wouild have at least a few more wins. I think it is very important for us to start off well early this year. It would be a huge confidence builder.

RashanGary
08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
This is just my opinion based on the little play I've seen of him but I think Hodge is best used as a situational short yardage MLB.

4and12to12and4
08-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I can agree with that assessment for right now, but I base it on learning curve more so than talent. All young defenders look bad when in the wrong spot at the wrong time. So, if you're saying "for now", I agree.

falco
08-13-2006, 09:24 PM

You could argue Hodge has a better shot than Taylor?? Based on what?

Probably his awesome pass coverage in the game last night.

gbpackfan
08-13-2006, 09:36 PM
I don't think Colledge is a lock. Not after last nights game. Wasn't strong enough at the point of attack.

Deputy Nutz
08-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Who are you gonna move into Colledge's spot? There is no depth on this line, guys that are behind him played even worst than he did.

The only thing imaginable is moving Wells back to left guard and insert White at center.

I am not willing to throw my hands up and say, "fuck this team" After one stinking preseason game, especially against the nohold bars Chargers. If they want to give up all there blitz packages in week one of preseason games thats their business. Granted the Packers should have been better prepared.

I thought Colledge looked more nervous than anything else, some plays he was all over the linebackers, or defensive tackle, being in the right spot, then he would start thinking a little too much and really mess up.

Colledge when drafted was not considered a finished package. He was drafted based on his intangibles and talent. I think Spitz is more a finished product, meaning I don't know how much better Jason Spitz is going to be than he already is. Sure he will improve drastically from his rookie experience, but I view him more in the mold of a Rivera, getting by on craftiness and hard work, meanwhile I veiw Colledge as a Mike Wahle type who needs to be polished into being an athletic all-pro caliber player.

No Mo Moss
08-13-2006, 11:22 PM

I thought Hodge had a poor game. That said Taylor did nothing to really stand out if I recall correctly. (slight memory loss)

CaliforniaCheez
08-14-2006, 05:01 AM
I realized that there really is very little competition for starting positions.

TE: Bubba Franks

S: Marquand Manuel

Some day, like the Loch Ness monster, there will be a siting to prove they exist.

vince
08-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Your comment about how you should expect more competition from a 4-12 team assumes that the same people from the 4-12 team are on this year's team...

There are clear front runners at most positions, but 13 names of the 24 postions are different this year from last...

1. That tells a lot about what we should expect in the preseason...
2. I am convinced that the lineups you list are substantially improved over last year, but IT WILL TAKE TIME FOR PEOPLE TO LEARN AND EXECUTE THE NEW SCHEME.

BooHoo
08-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Your comment about how you should expect more competition from a 4-12 team assumes that the same people from the 4-12 team are on this year's team...

There are clear front runners at most positions, but 13 names of the 24 postions are different this year from last...

2. I am convinced that the lineups you list are substantially improved over last year, but IT WILL TAKE TIME FOR PEOPLE TO LEARN AND EXECUTE THE NEW SCHEME.

Yes, it is not the exact same time as last year. Hopfully, the learning curve is short. Three more games before we meet the bears.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 11:00 AM

Yes vince but we are "in fact" in trouble with depth and risk of depletion all over this team - except where I believe we showed the best strength and need. The middle of OUR DL in the Chargers Pre-Season game.

They didn't exactly run all over us and OUR second - third best, did stand in very well against theirs.

Having said that. It's true strength at the top of OUR Depth Chart - wherein lies some real concern.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH Fans !!