PDA

View Full Version : Former Packers around the league

Patler
08-21-2011, 02:41 PM
We usually have a thread about this, especially to follow some of the less-prominent former Packers. I thought of it again, because the Cardinals have a few:

Colledge (of course)
Vonnie Holliday
Paris Lenon
Cyril Obiozor

Others I noticed recently:

Derrick Martin just signed with the Giants
Joey Haynos signed with Jacksonville
Joe Toledo was signed and cut within a couple days by the Eagles
Kole Heckendorf has bounced around but is now with the Colts
Allen Barbre is in Miami

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Really, Allen Babre? the font of my most embarrassing prediction ever is still in the league. I simply don't see how.

Guiness
08-21-2011, 03:02 PM

He's he guy from Wasau that was brought in as a UDFA, right? I don't think he made it out of TC, I'm not sure he qualifies as a 'former Packer'!

Tony Moll is now with the Jags
Bigby in Seattle has its own thread here
Korey Hall with the Saints
Josh Bidwell with the Redskins (edit: Wiki tells me he was released)

And finally:
Ahman Carroll last seen with the Hartford Colonials!

Guiness
08-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Really, Allen Babre? the font of my most embarrassing prediction ever is still in the league. I simply don't see how.

If only he hadn't punched that coach in the face...

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 03:13 PM
If only he hadn't punched that coach in the face...

And raped the other coaches daughter.

KYPack
08-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Barnett in Buffalo, doing the Samari.
Brohm is an unsigned UFA, lately of the Bills, they gave his number (4) to tyler Thigpen when they picked him up.

Iron Mike
08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I think Taco Wallace is still with the Seattle Stallions semi-pro team.

RashanGary
08-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Dave Tollefson

Guiness
08-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I think Taco Wallace is still with the Seattle Stallions semi-pro team.

lol - I specifically looked for him and couldn't find anything. Well, this:
http://www.mattietaco.com/_images/zoo.jpg

hoosier
08-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Kregg Lumpkin (TB). Bruno Giacomini (SEA). Anthony Toribio (made it through a whole season with KC).

Lurker64
08-21-2011, 03:50 PM
And finally:
Ahman Carroll last seen with the Hartford Colonials!

Sadly, the Hartford Colonials no longer exist, the UFL contracted down to 4 teams and will be splitting the Colonials players between the other four teams. It remains to be seen where Carroll will turn up, stay tuned!

Patler
08-21-2011, 03:58 PM
He's he guy from Wasau that was brought in as a UDFA, right? I don't think he made it out of TC, I'm not sure he qualifies as a 'former Packer'!

Hey, Heckendorf received a $4,000 signing bonus, was on the training camp roster, and received training camp per diem checks; I think that qualifies! Besides, he's from Wisconsin! :lol: :lol:

I think we should include TC guys that make an impression one way or another.

vince
08-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Was Heckendorf the guy who broke his leg in a preseason game a couple years back, ending his Packer career?

MJZiggy
08-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Bodiford is still out in Oakland.

red
08-21-2011, 06:15 PM
paris lennon has really made a career for himself, he's been around for a long time

good for him

is that superfast (4.18) cb still with the raiders?

Bretsky
08-21-2011, 06:17 PM
We usually have a thread about this, especially to follow some of the less-prominent former Packers. I thought of it again, because the Cardinals have a few:

Colledge (of course)
Vonnie Holliday
Paris Lenon
Cyril Obiozor

Allen Barbre is in Miami

Isn't Breno Giacomininininin....the OL....still with Seattle ?

Bretsky
08-21-2011, 06:18 PM
I think Red is referring to Chris Johnson...CB....is he with the Rams now ?

Daniel Muhr........last year he was a starter with the Colts

Bretsky
08-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Matt Hasslebeck
Aaron Kampmen

Bretsky
08-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Vonte Leach

Brady Poppinga

red
08-21-2011, 06:21 PM
tyrell sutton is with the panthers, and brandon flowers is a pro bowler with the chiefs.....

oh wait TT didn't draft flowers, he passed him over and took a WR that we still don't need on the roster

BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

red
08-21-2011, 06:23 PM

i though it was chris johnson, but i thought maybe i was mixing up his name with that other CJ

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 06:29 PM
I think Cullen Jenkins is fighting for a spot somewhere.

Hey, Donald Lee has a job in Philly! (well, we'll see)

Aaron Rouse is a starter for Giants. I think.

channtheman
08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
lol - I specifically looked for him and couldn't find anything. Well, this:
http://www.mattietaco.com/_images/zoo.jpg

Haha, I looked up Taco as well. Found a hilarious webpage about him and this awful video on youtube where someone cared to ask him what he thought about Seattle's receivers a few years ago.

channtheman
08-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Tory Humphrey - Saints
Anthony Smith - Titans

KYPack
08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
I think Cullen Jenkins is fighting for a spot somewhere.

Hey, Donald Lee has a job in Philly! (well, we'll see)

Aaron Rouse is a starter for Giants. I think.

Rouse is in the Universal or Ultimate Football League now. The Giants was 3 teams ago for him. I don't think he started for AZ or the Giants. That guy is nuts.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 07:26 PM
He started for the Giants. That much I 'member.

Pugger
08-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Where did Poppinga end up?

Lurker64
08-21-2011, 07:57 PM
tyrell sutton is with the panthers, and brandon flowers is a pro bowler with the chiefs.....

oh wait TT didn't draft flowers, he passed him over and took a WR that we still don't need on the roster

BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Strictly speaking, Thompson didn't pick Nelson over Flowers, since Nelson (#36) was selected one pick after Flowers (#35) in 2008. True, we had the #30 pick but we traded that and in a series of trades ended up with #36 and #102 (Jeremy Thompson.)

If it makes you feel better, Thompson wouldn't have drafted Flowers anyway. At 5'9 3/4" Flowers is a full inch below Thompson's height requirement for a CB to be draftable. I'm not saying that Thompson is right here, it's just that he definitely has height requirements for certain positions and isn't willing to deviate very far from them (Brandon Jackson was 1/8" below Thompson's height requirement for RBs, but TT drafted him anyway.)

Guiness
08-21-2011, 09:08 PM

Chris Johnson is the CB who ran some crazzy ass 40 time. We traded him to the Rams, but after being out of the league for a year he's been with Oakland. He never saw the field for us, I think he was IR'd one year for a staph infection.

Daniel Muhr is with the Rams now.

Where did Poppinga end up?
He's with the Rams.

Guiness
08-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Rouse is in the Universal or Ultimate Football League now. The Giants was 3 teams ago for him. I don't think he started for AZ or the Giants. That guy is nuts.

?He's nuts?

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Favre is going to the Colts! Well maybe

KYPack
08-21-2011, 09:38 PM
?He's nuts?

Can't concentrate. totally zones out during games. He went from starting S to cut that Wednesday for all the insane shit he did in the game that Sunday against the Bengals.

digitaldean
08-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Favre is going to the Colts! Well maybe
Saw that Irsay is down in Hattiesburg this wknd. For a short term stop gap, I'd pick #4 over Garcia or Collins. Since they don't have a running game of any significance, it may suit ol #4.

rbaloha1
08-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Culver is with the 49ers. Bodiford is with the Raiders

Packgator
08-21-2011, 10:32 PM
David Clowney is on Carolina's roster.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-22-2011, 02:21 AM
David Clowney is on Carolina's roster.

Intereting you bring this guy up. The actually hoped we had held on to him for another year or two to see if we could have developed him. He flashed a couple times when on the Jets and seemed like he could have turned in to a decent player with the right coaching and QB throwing him the ball.

LP
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Jeremy Kampinos is trying to punt for Pittsburg. After all he did for Green Bay, I can't believe you people have forgotten him!

sharpe1027
08-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I'll take the easy one.

Ryan Longwell is still with the Queens.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I think Diggs is still playing ball.

Brando19
08-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I know they're probably not in the league anymore, but here's a few I wonder about:
Craig Nall
Najeh Davenpoop
Aaron Brooks
Grady Jackson

Guiness
08-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Jeremy Kampinos is trying to punt for Pittsburg. After all he did for Green Bay, I can't believe you people have forgotten him!

You got me thinking about punters...and Derrick Frost.

Frost was signed by the California Redwoods of the United Football League on September 2, 2009. He was released on October 25, 2009.

Which reminded me of Jon Ryan, who's still playing well for Seattle.

Cut Ryan and sign Frost. Not one of MM and TT's shining moments!

Guiness
08-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I know they're probably not in the league anymore, but here's a few I wonder about:
Craig Nall
Najeh Davenpoop
Aaron Brooks
Grady Jackson

All retired, I believe.

Brando19
08-22-2011, 08:55 PM

I was mad when they cut Ryan as well...but it worked out in the end. We now have the best punter in the league.

KYPack
08-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Paris Lenon played for AZ in our game with 'em. DD said hey to him on one exchange.

channtheman
08-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Who was the punter we had a few years ago? I believe he went to Seattle.

channtheman
08-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Who was the punter we had a few years ago? I believe he went to Seattle.

I guess I should read the next post on the next page, haha. Oh Jon Ryan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZjp24g3DaY

woodbuck27
08-23-2011, 04:57 AM

Colledge (of course)
Vonnie Holliday
Paris Lenon
Cyril Obiozor

Allen Barbre is in Miami

http://www.nfl.com/player/vonnieholliday/2501208/profile

That Vonnie Holliday (at 35 years) is still in the game is impressive. I liked him in 'the Green and Gold'.

GO PACK GO.

woodbuck27
08-23-2011, 05:05 AM

They have to have gone to school on that error. It was hard to believe at the time. Still some here will try to defend that blunder. Pride can play such folly 'with us all' at times. Ryan was such a talented athlete and that fact 'only obvious' to some of us here. How did MM and TT miss that fact? We don't exist in a perfect sauce. That's what makes the world spin. (-;

GO PACK GO!

woodbuck27
08-23-2011, 05:35 AM
I guess I should read the next post on the next page, haha. Oh Jon Ryan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZjp24g3DaY

Yeaaa! Of course...C A N A D A. Saskatchewan Canada..Now there's a Giant leap into the Frozen Frog Pond.

I loved that video spoof.The Boys at Canada's TSN are too cool. That is a fine Sports Channel.

James Duthie is normally the Guy on the NHL. David 'Schultzie' Schultz (on your RH side of the TSN Sports desk) was a former Canadian League football star. I'm impressed with Jon Ryan's potential to do media or even hahaaha serious drama. That .....had to be, a 5 second hang time because this Saskatchewan chew can demonstrate some strength. There has to be alot more going on in that Province besides wheat, curlers and ducks.

Jon Ryan for MVP.. Fun for me to watch. THANKS a BUNCH.

Just thinking....Had to be. His parents didn't catch that typo on his Birth Certificate. Everyone knows it's spelled John not Jon. John as in ' Big John' or ' John Wayne '. My middle name is John. That's my Dad's first name and that name runs way back on my paternal side. Those people fr. Saskatchewan are a wee bit strange ( maybe )due to the isolation as ' the Trans Canada Highway' and other main routes may suffer 'a White Out problem', that keeps folks shut in for days at a time. That can make you stir crazy. We call it cabin fever up here. People get back out nto civilization and act a tad wild (maybe). I don't mean to insult anyone fr. the praries as they ave always been hearty folks.

Maybe there was a stress factor the day that Jon Ryan was born? There has to be a reasonable explanation. Just a little technical thingy that slipped past his folks? Otherwise something was obviously amiss. Now don't get me wrong. Jon works very well pour moi. It's just a man's first name afterall. . . .but for Jon RAN to get the vote of confdence he deserved might it not be better to be 'a John'? He then might have been nicknamed..the Duke II. Then better acceted and not punting very well in Seattle.

IMO, 'Jon' Ryan won't get you the MVP; like ' John' Ryan might have; no matter how strong or deserving you might be otherwise.

Blame !?

Blame it on his Mother for not seeing that typo. Dad was out purchasing good cigars. A challenge of no small proportion in Saskatchewan. He was busy 'on task'. It falls on Mom. Because of her observation skills or lack thereof. Jon Ryan not only miss's out on the NFL MVP but he ends up cut and landing on his feet somehow in Sleepless Seattle. No Canadian Football keener would have predicted that outcome. A shitty town for sleep instead of the PEACE and Quiet of Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Right from the beginning it was a disaster in the making for some Packer fans. Tha young man had obvious talent. he had a great atitude. He looked like a Packer to me. Tough !!

Yup. Jon just doesn't work. In any case and us both being Canucks. I have to write.......

GO Jon Ryan. Go Jon 'short for John', whatever.... GO !!

Scott Campbell
08-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Paris Lenon played for AZ in our game with 'em. DD said hey to him on one exchange.

Amazing longevity for a marginal talent.

woodbuck27
08-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Hi Scott.

That's for certain Scott. How's life Packer fan?

GO PACK GO!

KYPack
08-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Lenon should be studied by every rookie LB. He's been in the league for all these years not because he's a playmaker. He's always in position and he doesn't make big mistakes.

Coaches will always keep a guy like that around.

mraynrand
08-23-2011, 08:53 AM

I take it you're not a lip reader. I'm pretty sure there Driver was commenting about the employment history of Lenon's ancestors in the comfort industry.

rbaloha1
08-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Lenon should be studied by every rookie LB. He's been in the league for all these years not because he's a playmaker. He's always in position and he doesn't make big mistakes.

Coaches will always keep a guy like that around.

True. But too may Lenons' do not make lemonade or super bowls.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I thought Lenon was an underrated player when he was with the Pack. The fans were down on him, maybe because of lack of big plays? HE's a steady linebacker.

Packgator
08-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Ruvell Martin has signed with Buffalo.

Guiness
09-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Ruvell Martin has signed with Buffalo.

Just read that he made the squad.
David Martin is also over there.

Chris White, the UDFA center we kept around for a year, is with the Giants.

pbmax
09-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Diggs signed with Chargers.

Joemailman
09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Looks like Al Harris made the St. Louis roster. He'll return to Lambeau on October 16. My guess is he'll be received more warmly than Brett was.

pbmax
09-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Brandon Jackson on IR.

RashanGary
09-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Tracy White still ripping it up in New England. Remember our ST's crash when he left. We went from pretty good to really bad in one mid-season cut.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Looks like Al Harris made the St. Louis roster. He'll return to Lambeau on October 16. My guess is he'll be received more warmly than Brett was. Particularly by the wide receivers. I can't believe Al can still cover.

vince
09-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Looks like Al Harris made the St. Louis roster. He'll return to Lambeau on October 16. My guess is he'll be received more warmly than Brett was.
I'm very surprised and very happy about that. I'd have bet a lot of money he was done after seeing him try to come back last year.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him try to keep up with Jennings at this point.

Fritz
09-03-2011, 11:28 PM

Brett? Who?

MJZiggy
09-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Brett? Who? Swain. I'm not sure why they think he was so unpopular. Kid gave it all he had.

pbmax
09-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Brandon Jackson has a turf toe injury, which is expected to keep him out six weeks or Week 4 of the Reg Season. Now he is on injured reserve for Holmgren and the Browns. If he heals and is waived-injured, can he play again for another team?

retailguy
09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Colin Cole released by the Sea chickens.

Fosco33
09-04-2011, 09:22 AM
I think Diggs is still playing ball.

Chargers signed him yesterday after being cut by the Rams.

Fosco33
09-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Colin Cole released by the Sea chickens.

I was a little disappointed when he left for free agency - but he wasn't worth the money, he is worth a look over the 10th DB or LB - imo.

Just read that he was coming off two ankle surgeries off season and hadn't practiced. He was expected to be on PUP... maybe the injury is more severe and they didn't want to pay him those millions...

sheepshead
09-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Great thread, love reading all the names.

Teamcheez1
09-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Brandon Jackson has a turf toe injury, which is expected to keep him out six weeks or Week 4 of the Reg Season. Now he is on injured reserve for Holmgren and the Browns. If he heals and is waived-injured, can he play again for another team?

So not resigning Brandon Jackson wasn't such a bad idea now.

Bretsky
09-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Oby...Cybil Obriezor..sp ? was cut on final but by Cardinals.....lot of us liked him last yr

VermontPackFan
09-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Tough break, I was sorry to see him go and was rooting for him this year. It was his opportunity to finally show what he could do as one of the featured running backs.

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 10:13 AM
I was a little disappointed when he left for free agency - but he wasn't worth the money, he is worth a look over the 10th DB or LB - imo.

His position in this defense is "nose tackle"... we've got three guys who can play that position already.

Tough break, I was sorry to see him go and was rooting for him this year. It was his opportunity to finally show what he could do as one of the featured running backs.

Didn't we get an opportunity to see what Jackson can do as a featured running back starting week 2 of last year? The reason Jackson going down is a bummer is that it decreases the value of any compensatory pick we could get for Jackson because "Games Played/Games Started" is part of the formula and both are "0".

Guiness
09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Josh Gordy signed to the Rams PS.

Packgator
09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Jacksonville cut Tony Moll.

superfan
09-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Fired up Madden 08 last week, which includes player stats from the 06 season and starting rosters for 07. I was amazed at the amount of roster turnover in 4-5 years. This was the Madden roster going into the 13-3 season. Only 12 players are still on the roster:

QB Rodgers
WR Driver, Jennings, Jones
OT Clifton
C Wells
DT Pickett
OLB Hawk
CB Woodson, Bush
S Collins
K Crosby

2 of the 3 backups on the roster then are still backups on the roster now (Jones, Bush). Rodgers was the only backup then who is now a starter.

Guys that are gone and where they are now:

QB
Brett Favre - Retired (probably).
Ingle Martin - Out of football. Last year 2008 (KC). Played in a career total of 2 games with no passing stats, 2 rushes for -5 yards.

WR
Robert Ferguson - Out of football. Last year 2008 (MN).
Ruvell Martin - Unsigned. Released by BUF in 2011.
David Clowney - Unsigned. Released by CAR in 2011.

HB
Vernand Morency - Out of football. Last year 2007 (GB).
Brandon Jackson - Cleveland, on IR.
Noah Herron - Out of football. Last year 2008 (TB). Ran for 106 yards in 1 game, 167 yards in his other 22 games combined.
DeShawn Wynn - Out of football. Last year 2010 (NO).

FB
Brandon Miree - Out of football. Last year 2006 (GB).

TE
Bubba Franks - Retired 2008 (NYJ).
Donald Lee - Unsigned. Released by PHI in 2011.
Clark Harris - Long snapper with CIN.

OL
Mark Tauscher- Retired 2010 (GB).
Junius Coston - Out of football. Last year 2008 (DET).
Tony Moll - Unsigned. Released by JAC in 2011.
Daryn Colledge - Starting in Arizona.
Jason Spitz - Backup in JAC.
Allen Barbre - Unsigned. Released by MIA in 2011.
Tony Palmer - Out of football. Last year 2007 (GB).
Tyson Walter - Out of football. Last year 2006 (GB).

DL
Aaron Kampman - Starting in JAC.
Kabeer Gbaja Biamila - Retired 2008 (GB).
Corey Williams - Starting in DET.
Cullen Jenkins - Starting in PHI.
Justin Harrell - Out of football. Last year 2010 (GB).
Colin Cole - Unsigned. Released by SEA in 2011.
Jason Hunter - Backup in DEN.

LB
Nick Barnett - Starting in BUF.
Brady Poppinga - Backup in STL.
Abdul Hodge - Out of football. Last year 2010 (CAR).
Korey Hall - Starting FB in NO.
Tracy White - Backup in NE.

CB
Al Harris - Backup in STL.
Patrick Dendy - Out of football. Last year 2007 (CAR).
Will Blackmon - Out of football. Last year 2010 (NYG).

S
Marquand Manuel - Out of football. Last year 2009 (DET).
Aaron Rouse - Out of football. Last year 2009 (NYG).
Marviel Underwood - Out of football. Last year 2007 (DEN).
Tyrone Culver - Backup in MIA.

K
Dave Rayner - Unsigned. Released by DAL in 2007.

P
Jon Ryan - Starting in SEA.

Coupe takeaways:

* the current roster looks much stronger top to bottom than this roster, and this ended up being a good team (with help from later additions such as Ryan Grant).
* about half are still in the league in some capacity. Many more defensive players are still playing than offensive players.
* quite a few of the younger bench players were out of the league after 4 years, which is pretty consistent with the general conception of the league.
* few former Packers in the last several years have excelled with a team other than GB.

KYPack
09-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Fired up Madden 08 last week, which includes player stats from the 06 season and starting rosters for 07. I was amazed at the amount of roster turnover in 4-5 years. This was the Madden roster going into the 13-3 season. Only 12 players are still on the roster:

QB Rodgers
WR Driver, Jennings, Jones
OT Clifton
C Wells
DT Pickett
OLB Hawk
CB Woodson, Bush
S Collins
K Crosby

2 of the 3 backups on the roster then are still backups on the roster now (Jones, Bush). Rodgers was the only backup then who is now a starter.

Guys that are gone and where they are now:

QB
Brett Favre - Retired (probably).
Ingle Martin - Out of football. Last year 2008 (KC). Played in a career total of 2 games with no passing stats, 2 rushes for -5 yards.

WR
Robert Ferguson - Out of football. Last year 2008 (MN).
Ruvell Martin - Unsigned. Released by BUF in 2011.
David Clowney - Unsigned. Released by CAR in 2011.

HB
Vernand Morency - Out of football. Last year 2007 (GB).
Brandon Jackson - Cleveland, on IR.
Noah Herron - Out of football. Last year 2008 (TB). Ran for 106 yards in 1 game, 167 yards in his other 22 games combined.
DeShawn Wynn - Out of football. Last year 2010 (NO).

FB
Brandon Miree - Out of football. Last year 2006 (GB).

TE
Bubba Franks - Retired 2008 (NYJ).
Donald Lee - Unsigned. Released by PHI in 2011.
Clark Harris - Long snapper with CIN.

OL
Mark Tauscher- Retired 2010 (GB).
Junius Coston - Out of football. Last year 2008 (DET).
Tony Moll - Unsigned. Released by JAC in 2011.
Daryn Colledge - Starting in Arizona.
Jason Spitz - Backup in JAC.
Allen Barbre - Unsigned. Released by MIA in 2011.
Tony Palmer - Out of football. Last year 2007 (GB).
Tyson Walter - Out of football. Last year 2006 (GB).

DL
Aaron Kampman - Starting in JAC.
Kabeer Gbaja Biamila - Retired 2008 (GB).
Corey Williams - Starting in DET.
Cullen Jenkins - Starting in PHI.
Justin Harrell - Out of football. Last year 2010 (GB).
Colin Cole - Unsigned. Released by SEA in 2011.
Jason Hunter - Backup in DEN.

LB
Nick Barnett - Starting in BUF.
Brady Poppinga - Backup in STL.
Abdul Hodge - Out of football. Last year 2010 (CAR).
Korey Hall - Starting FB in NO.
Tracy White - Backup in NE.

CB
Al Harris - Backup in STL.
Patrick Dendy - Out of football. Last year 2007 (CAR).
Will Blackmon - Out of football. Last year 2010 (NYG).

S
Marquand Manuel - Out of football. Last year 2009 (DET).
Aaron Rouse - Out of football. Last year 2009 (NYG).
Marviel Underwood - Out of football. Last year 2007 (DEN).
Tyrone Culver - Backup in MIA.

K
Dave Rayner - Unsigned. Released by DAL in 2007.

P
Jon Ryan - Starting in SEA.

Coupe takeaways:

* the current roster looks much stronger top to bottom than this roster, and this ended up being a good team (with help from later additions such as Ryan Grant).
* about half are still in the league in some capacity. Many more defensive players are still playing than offensive players.
* quite a few of the younger bench players were out of the league after 4 years, which is pretty consistent with the general conception of the league.
* few former Packers in the last several years have excelled with a team other than GB.

Got an addendum to Dave Rayner. He hasn't been out of football since 2007, he's joining Ben Agajanian as the biggest kicking gypsy in NFL history. The GBP were his second NFL team, Indy was the first.

After the Pack cut Rayner, keeping Mason Crosby, these are some of Rayner's travels. Only some, he's tried out for several teams. This is just the the list of rosters he's been on:

Kansas City Chiefs (2007)
San Diego Chargers (2007)
Miami Dolphins (2008)*
Detroit Lions (2008)*
Cincinnati Bengals (2008)
Washington Redskins (2009)*
Cincinnati Bengals (2010)
Detroit Lions (2010
Dallas Cowboys (2011)–present)
*Offseason and/or practice squad member only

Dave was cut from Dallas just last week after missing two field goals in the Cowboys last pre-season game. Rayner has a pretty good stint with us, he kicked a 54 yard field goal. That tied him for the second longest field goal in Packer history (Crosby has the longest at 56 yds).

Why does Rayner do it and why do teams look at him? He has one of the strongest legs ever seen. He holds the "totally unofficial record" for longest hang time ever on a kick-off. By most accounts, no one around has a stronger leg. He also chokes and goes thru strange slumps, which is why he gets his mail in so many different places.

vince
09-08-2011, 10:59 AM
It is something to look at the roster from 4 years ago. Thanks for that post Superfan. The core of the team has grown significantly with the additions of Matthews, Raji, Bishop, Tramon Williams, Sitton, Bulaga, Starks, Finley, Nelson, Kuhn, etc.

There were a few really good players from that era, including Favre, Harris, Kampman, Barnett, Tausch, to go with the others, but when you look at the list, I don't see one guy who "got away." Maybe John Ryan.

Partial
09-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Did Tauscher officially retire? Did I just miss this? What a career for a great Packer and Badger.

KYPack
09-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Did Tauscher officially retire? Did I just miss this? What a career for a great Packer and Badger.

I don't "know" this, but I think Tausch will hang around this season. The Pack is razor thin at back-up OL. If there was an injury at a spot, an alternative would be putting Tausch on the roster and doing the "shuffle". I think Mark is waiting and seeing if something like that comes up.

That well maybe bullshit, but I think Mark can still play and wouldn't mind doing just that if the situation came up.

Guiness
09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
It is something to look at the roster from 4 years ago. Thanks for that post Superfan. The core of the team has grown significantly with the additions of Matthews, Raji, Bishop, Tramon Williams, Sitton, Bulaga, Starks, Finley, Nelson, Kuhn, etc.

There were a few really good players from that era, including Favre, Harris, Kampman, Barnett, Tausch, to go with the others, but when you look at the list, I don't see one guy who "got away." Maybe John Ryan.

That's exactly what I was thinking re: the one that got away.

John Ryan is probably the best player that we should have kept, but didn't (I know is as good or better, but it's not like we had him and knew it at the time). It says a lot about the front office when the 'one that got away' is a punter, as opposed, say, Houston, who released Tramon Williams!

Corey Williams and Kampman are also players who are still play at a high level in this league. Kampman was a scheme decision, but C. Williams is someone else we've missed, especially with Harell not panning out.

Great post Superfan. I'd say good research, but you admitted that the research amounted to firing up Madden lol.
BTW I found out my gf had never seen Tombstone! Got to dust off the VHS and re-watche it - it aged well, still a great movie. "You're a daisy if you do!"

Guiness
09-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Not around the league, but a couple of notable former Packers in the UFL
Ahmad Carroll is playing for the Virginia Destroyers. Man, what are they thinking? I wonder if that guy can really play at all?
Brian Brohm is playing for the Las Vegas Locomotives

MJZiggy
09-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Wow, Brohm went down fast...

KYPack
09-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Saw Breno Giacomino playing for the SeaChickies on Sunday.

Also saw Matt Giordano playing for somebody and he actually made a couple good plays.

Two Wops, both with jobs.

Supposedly, Buffalo never talked to Brohm after they cut him and he made no attempt to talk to any coaches or Buffalo management about his situation.

pbmax
09-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Jamon Meredith was signed by the Steelers.

Guiness
09-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Saw Breno Giacomino playing for the SeaChickies on Sunday.

Also saw Matt Giordano playing for somebody and he actually made a couple good plays.

Two Wops, both with jobs.

Supposedly, Buffalo never talked to Brohm after they cut him and he made no attempt to talk to any coaches or Buffalo management about his situation.

What do you mean his 'situation'? You just mean after he got cut, he just packed up and left?

Amazing fall for that guy, from a potential top 5 pick in '07, to a late second rounder in '08 to practice squad/third string. What happened? Did he just not have it?

He could have made himself a lot of money if he'd come out in '07. Jamarcus and Brady Quinn were the two top QB picks, he may have actually gone in the first round and got himself a decent contract. Best QB in that draft is looking like Kolb, then ??? there are luminaries like Trent Edwards, Tyler Thigpen and Drew Stanton.

Fritz
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
For all the crap Thompson has taken about the Justin Harrell pick, it seems clear that Brian Brohm was his biggest whiff. Harrell - when he played - showed flashes of what made him a first round pick. Brohm showed that, well, Thompson made a poor, poor pick.

Packgator
09-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Donald Lee signed with the Bengals today.

Packgator
09-14-2011, 09:51 PM

Giordano is with the Raiders.

Guiness
09-14-2011, 10:05 PM

Wow, sorry to hear that. He was a decent player who didn't cause waves here, I wouldn't wish that organization on anyone!

superfan
09-15-2011, 12:08 AM
BTW I found out my gf had never seen Tombstone! Got to dust off the VHS and re-watche it - it aged well, still a great movie. "You're a daisy if you do!"

Aaron Rodgers's favorite movie, according to his interview with the American Mustache Institute:

On if having a mustache makes it easier to pick up sideline reporters: "If I needed to pick up any sideline reporters, my first line of business would be to grow a very thick mustache. I'm often encouraged when I watch a movie such as Tombstone, my favorite movie, by Sam Elliott's mustache. I'm very jealous of the fact that he can cover up both lips with one blade of hair that's consistent over his upper lip. I often look to a movie like that for support if I'm at a low point in my life and realize that growing a mustache can really turn your fortunes around very quickly."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Aaron-Rodgers-mustache-gives-him-a-new-level-of?urn=nfl-wp6423

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2011, 12:48 AM
That guy is like Rasputin.

(Rasputin survived many attempts on his life: gunshot wounds, poisoning , drowning ..... tough old coot)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Rasputin_pt.jpg/200px-Rasputin_pt.jpg

Pugger
09-15-2011, 08:06 AM
For all the crap Thompson has taken about the Justin Harrell pick, it seems clear that Brian Brohm was his biggest whiff. Harrell - when he played - showed flashes of what made him a first round pick. Brohm showed that, well, Thompson made a poor, poor pick.

This.

Guiness
09-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I've seen it suggested that TT was perhaps caught flat footed by Brohm being there at all at that point, and couldn't pass up what was perceived as 'value'.

ThunderDan
09-15-2011, 11:26 AM
I've seen it suggested that TT was perhaps caught flat footed by Brohm being there at all at that point, and couldn't pass up what was perceived as 'value'.

Also you have to remember that BF had retired at that point. We had one QB on the roster and he had a "history" of injuries. That would be ARod.

Not surprised that TT drafted Brohm at all. I just can't believe what a total bust that guy was. I was hoping we were going to package picks to make sure we got Flacco.

Fritz
09-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Good point, putting the pick into a context. Did any QB's besides Flynn get drafted after Brohm?

Anybody? Bueller?

ThunderDan
09-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Good point, putting the pick into a context. Did any QB's besides Flynn get drafted after Brohm?

Anybody? Bueller?

Looks like:
3. Matt Ryan
18. Joe Flacco
56. Brohm
57. Chad Henne
94. Kevin O'Connell
137. John Booty
156. Dennis Dixon
160. Josh Johnson
162. Erik Ainge
186. Colt Brennan
198. Andre' Woodson
209. Matt Flynn
223. Alex Brink

Pugger
09-15-2011, 01:20 PM
What was the rap on Flynn and the reason why he wasn't drafted until #209? I don't recall...

Guiness
09-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Looks like:
3. Matt Ryan
18. Joe Flacco
56. Brohm
57. Chad Henne
94. Kevin O'Connell
137. John Booty
156. Dennis Dixon
160. Josh Johnson
162. Erik Ainge
186. Colt Brennan
198. Andre' Woodson
209. Matt Flynn
223. Alex Brink

Caleb Hanie went to the Bears as a UDFA.

Not a banner year for QB's going high, or QB's at all.

This past year, there were 4 in the top 15.

O'Connell is on his third or fourth team. Booty is out of the league. I know Dixon got a ring in Pitt, but I think that's all he did. Ainge is the guy who retired after issues with steroids.

Oh, one more! Alex Brink, upnorth will tell you, is with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers!

Guiness
09-15-2011, 05:46 PM
What was the rap on Flynn and the reason why he wasn't drafted until #209? I don't recall...

From SI.com

NEGATIVES: Throws with marginal past placement and accuracy. Consistently high of the mark or throws behind receivers. Stares down primary targets and puts the ball up for grabs. Holds the ball to long in the pocket.
ANALYSIS: Flynn has the physical tools to be first day draft selection yet he comes off a poor senior season is now likely a late round pick.

KalamazooPackerFan
09-15-2011, 06:31 PM
From SI.com

Wow, that description kind of makes him the poster boy for how effective the off seaon McCarthy/Clements school of quarterbacking really is. Do other teams runs something similar? I admit I am kind of single minded in my football fandom but I've never heard of other teams having the off season quarterback school running.

Bretsky
09-15-2011, 10:32 PM

He's only value if he doesn't suk

swede
09-16-2011, 12:12 PM

My theory is that he was trying to draft Beau Bell and they misread the card.

rbaloha1
09-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Okay I officially missing Cullen Jenkins. Cris Collinsworth says he looks quicker and stronger than ever.

mmmdk
09-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Okay I officially missing Cullen Jenkins. Cris Collinsworth says he looks quicker and stronger than ever.

I second this; also did in another thread!

rbaloha1
09-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Poppinga played well on MNF. Lost weight and is playing faster.

BP said the packers will regret cutting him.

pbmax
09-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Poppinga played well on MNF. Lost weight and is playing faster.

BP said the packers will regret cutting him.

Only if he can play safety at his new, lower weight. He couldn't beat out the current collection of average that is here.

CaliforniaCheez
09-20-2011, 05:49 AM
It was nice last night to see Poppinga starting even if it was for the last place Rams.

Zool
09-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Poops is 32 and finally starting to play well? Color me skeptical.

KYPack
09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Poops is 32 and finally starting to play well? Color me skeptical.

Pops was kinda like Kampman (not as skilled obviously). Glad he got a job, but it was time to move from here.

Guiness
10-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Swain, as mentioned in another thread, is now with the 49'ers.

Bidwell had a tryout in Jax, didn't get signed.

Sad to hear that Pop made that comment - pretty sour grapes from a guy I thought was better than that.

Joemailman
10-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Swain, as mentioned in another thread, is now with the 49'ers.

Bidwell had a tryout in Jax, didn't get signed.

Sad to hear that Pop made that comment - pretty sour grapes from a guy I thought was better than that.

Poppinga didn't sound really resentful although he felt the Packers made a mistake in cutting him:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110728/PKR01/307300009/Green-Bay-Packers-cut-DE-Justin-Harrell-LB-Brady-Poppinga-clear-space-salary-cap

Neither of Thursday’s moves should have come as a surprise. In fact, Poppinga, who is coming off his second knee reconstruction in his six-year pro career, said he mostly saw it coming and termed it “basically economics” even though he thinks it was a mistake.

“Knowing what they know, I think they had to do it,” Poppinga said. “It’s just too bad there wasn’t a chance where they could take me down to the field and see me move and then make a decision. It’s just not set up that way right now with the timing of everything, it all being so condensed and the salary cap. It’s just not possible.”

Poppinga’s salary played a major role in the decision. His base salary this season was $2.05 million, and he was due a $300,000 roster bonus. All that will be wiped off the books and because there was no prorated signing bonus, he won’t count at all against this year’s cap. His age, 31, and injury history also had to play a part.

However, he did say he passed a physical today and is “in the best shape of his life” and “at the top of his game.”

“They don’t always bat 100 percent (on personnel decisions),” Poppinga said. “It’s going to be one of those deals where I think they’re going to wish they could have it back.”

Poppinga, who said he held no bitterness toward the team that selected him in the fourth round of the 2005 draft, said he was told the Packers would try to trade him but figured that was “just a formality because I don’t see why teams would want to make a trade when they know the Packers aren’t going to keep me, so I might as well hit the market and go from there.”

vince
10-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Popps obviously has average ability, but I've always liked his attitude and approach to the game. He's a good teammate a high-energy guy every day of the week. Fortunately for us fans, 32 and average doesn't get it done in Green Bay anymore.

Fritz
10-13-2011, 06:51 AM
He doesn't sound bitter at all to me. Just saying he wishes things were set up differently, saying that if they'd have been able to see him run, they might've kept him. I detect no bitterness in Poops. I do, however, smell average all over him.