PDA

View Full Version : NFL coaches on the hot seat

KYPack
08-23-2011, 12:49 PM
When I saw ND's thread, I thought it was about coaches that may get fired. For some reason, I ove articles like that. Then I saw it was a joke, so I wrote my article on the subject.

Lemme know your thoughts, as always.

1. Chan Gailey Buffalo New uniforms, same old freakin’ Bills. Gailey is a pretty good coach, he’s been in some bad situations. This one may his worst. If the Bills collapse as badly as some early indications appear, Chan will probably be out in Buffalo. He’ll probably be more comfortable back in a co-coordinators’ chair in a new location.

2. Tony Sporano Miami The Dolphins were the hard luck team in the NFL last season. They played some of the best teams in the league, winning their share and losing close games. But a poor record and no established starting QB mean that if Tough Tony doesn’t produce, he’s probably history.

3. Gary Kubiak Houston This seat has been warmed up by the owner. If the Texans don’t make the play-offs the owner has said he will make a change. Kubiak will be gone if they don’t get in the tournament. Many league observers think they will have a breakout year in Houston, so Kubiak may just becoaching the NFL surprise team this season.

4. Jack Del Rio Jacksonville (See Kubiak). The owner has stated that it’s play-off or bust in Jville. The Jags made quite a few off-season changes, but it probably won’t be enough to save Jack’s job

4. Andy Reid Philly Andy Reid has a great record, but no ring. This year, Eagle management has pushed all the chips to the middle of the table. If the birds falter, Andy will probably be the fall guy to take the heat off the team’s front office. It would be a tough break for Andy, one of the nicest men in pro sports.

5. Marvin Lewis Cincinnati Bengal owner Mike Brown does not like to fire coaches. He’s only done it twice in 20 years. He has signed Marvin Lewis for two years and will undoubtedly honor that deal. This years Bengal team shapes up to be a very bad outfit. It may get so bad Lewis quits the team, joining ex-QB Carson Palmer in the ranks of the “just can’t take it anymore”. This is more of a suicide watch than hot-seat watch.

6. Hue Jackson Oakland Al Davis is the owner. All Oakland coaches are on the hot seat, every year.

7. Ken Whisenhunt Arizona. The Cards have done very little since their wonder season landed ‘em in the Super Bowl. Was Ken Whisenhunt a great coach or Kurt Warner a great QB? Many think the latter is true. AZ landed Kevin Kolb and if he succeeds Coach Ken will be OK. If Kolb and the birds falter, Whisenhunt will undoubtedly be gone.

Three more to go…
Tom Coughlin, Norv Turner, and Jim Caldwell. Coughlin and Turner live on Hot seat lists, but never seem to get canned, this might be their year.
Caldwell could end up being the scapegoat for the Colts if Manning can’t do it this season. Someone may have to take the fall and Caldwell just looks like a fall guy.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Andy Reid!? Come on.

KYPack
08-23-2011, 01:07 PM
I've got this idea that dream team will flop like crazy.

If they don't make the play-offs, I think Andy is gone.

The front office will need to blame somebody and Reid has been weak at the finish.

They've got 3 young backers and Vick is one hit from being toast, I really don't think much of Philly. Dream team or no dream team.

hoosier
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Is Tom Coughlin really safe in NY after the last two late-year implosions?

edit: I see you have him sitting on the no-longer-cool seat. Fair enough.

mraynrand
08-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Caldwell just looks like a fall guy.

Racist

Brandon494
08-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Andy Reid needs to win a ring but hes not going anywhere and if they do cut him please bring him to GB and cut MM.

Guiness
08-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Del Rio might finally be gone this year, but that guy seems to have nine lives in Jax.

He's been there pretty close to 10 years and I don't think he's won a playoff game yet. And this year doesn't look good for him either.

Turner had a bad year last year after making the playoff for three straight. He got a pass, we'll see what happens this year. The Chargers still look like a very good team and should make the playoffs.

Guiness
08-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Shanahan belongs on that list. Snyder's almost as meddlesome and hot-headed as Davis! Quite possible he and the Oakland coach don't see the end of the season.

Smidgeon
08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I think it's more likely that Reid cans the owners than the owners canning Reid...

LP
08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Andy Reid needs to win a ring but hes not going anywhere and if they do cut him please bring him to GB and cut MM.

I trust Ted's a lot smarter than that.

Fritz
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Not on the hot seat, but I predict that Bill Belichek is on the way down. He's taking more and more risks, it seems, so confident that he's the one who can motivate people like Albert Haynesworth. I see his star fading.

Sorry, Bretsky.

Bossman641
08-23-2011, 06:25 PM

No thank you

Brando19
08-23-2011, 07:38 PM

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever said on this site.

Fritz
08-23-2011, 08:00 PM
I like Andy Reid and I think he's a good coach. But if he does get canned if this team of his doesn't get to the SB, he won't be unemployed for long. He can sit in a broadcast booth or coach in the NFL the very next season.

Upnorth
08-23-2011, 08:01 PM
That's quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever said on this site.
reid is a great coach, but i would not cut mm for him. Even though I dont agree with Brandon494's statement, I dont think it is as horrible as you think it is, and not the dumbest thing Brandon has said.

KYPack
08-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Shanahan belongs on that list. Snyder's almost as meddlesome and hot-headed as Davis! Quite possible he and the Oakland coach don't see the end of the season.

Shanny the Rat?

Sure, put him on there. Shanny used to be an innovator. Now, he just comes back with the same re-warmed shit. Was he a great coach? What has he done without Elway?

Let's heat up the Rat!

Joemailman
08-23-2011, 09:11 PM
reid is a great coach, but i would not cut mm for him.

Reid is a good coach, but if he were a great coach, he would have found a way to win a Super Bowl somewhere along the way. He had a period of years where he had perhaps the NFL's best DC, some very good defensive talent, and McNabb and Westbrook in their prime.

KYPack
09-12-2011, 10:00 AM
When I saw ND's thread, I thought it was about coaches that may get fired. For some reason, I ove articles like that. Then I saw it was a joke, so I wrote my article on the subject.

Lemme know your thoughts, as always.

1. Chan Gailey Buffalo New uniforms, same old freakin’ Bills. Gailey is a pretty good coach, he’s been in some bad situations. This one may his worst. If the Bills collapse as badly as some early indications appear, Chan will probably be out in Buffalo. He’ll probably be more comfortable back in a co-coordinators’ chair in a new location.

2. Tony Sporano Miami The Dolphins were the hard luck team in the NFL last season. They played some of the best teams in the league, winning their share and losing close games. But a poor record and no established starting QB mean that if Tough Tony doesn’t produce, he’s probably history.

3. Gary Kubiak Houston This seat has been warmed up by the owner. If the Texans don’t make the play-offs the owner has said he will make a change. Kubiak will be gone if they don’t get in the tournament. Many league observers think they will have a breakout year in Houston, so Kubiak may just becoaching the NFL surprise team this season.

4. Jack Del Rio Jacksonville (See Kubiak). The owner has stated that it’s play-off or bust in Jville. The Jags made quite a few off-season changes, but it probably won’t be enough to save Jack’s job

4. Andy Reid Philly Andy Reid has a great record, but no ring. This year, Eagle management has pushed all the chips to the middle of the table. If the birds falter, Andy will probably be the fall guy to take the heat off the team’s front office. It would be a tough break for Andy, one of the nicest men in pro sports.

5. Marvin Lewis Cincinnati Bengal owner Mike Brown does not like to fire coaches. He’s only done it twice in 20 years. He has signed Marvin Lewis for two years and will undoubtedly honor that deal. This years Bengal team shapes up to be a very bad outfit. It may get so bad Lewis quits the team, joining ex-QB Carson Palmer in the ranks of the “just can’t take it anymore”. This is more of a suicide watch than hot-seat watch.

6. Hue Jackson Oakland Al Davis is the owner. All Oakland coaches are on the hot seat, every year.

7. Ken Whisenhunt Arizona. The Cards have done very little since their wonder season landed ‘em in the Super Bowl. Was Ken Whisenhunt a great coach or Kurt Warner a great QB? Many think the latter is true. AZ landed Kevin Kolb and if he succeeds Coach Ken will be OK. If Kolb and the birds falter, Whisenhunt will undoubtedly be gone.

Three more to go…
Tom Coughlin, Norv Turner, and Jim Caldwell. Coughlin and Turner live on Hot seat lists, but never seem to get canned, this might be their year.
Caldwell could end up being the scapegoat for the Colts if Manning can’t do it this season. Someone may have to take the fall and Caldwell just looks like a fall guy.

I'm bumping this thread because I really do like "Hot Seat" articles. There's nothing better than seeing a smart ass NFL HC under pressure. I didn't bump it because I cleverly predicted anything. Because I didn't really predict much. I'm also bumping it because nobody really gave a shit last time. Proof of that is I had two number fours and nobody jumped my ass about that.

After most of week 1 games are in, several coaches dumped a sno cone on their seats and they aren't going to burn their asses anymore, at least for now. Gary Kubiak, Marvin Lewis, Andy Reid, Jack Del Rio and Chan Gailey had strong efforts from their teams and don't appear to be candidate for canning like they once did.

But things change and a few coaches are now feeling some fire on their butts.

Todd Haley KC. The stench from the Chiefs opening el foldo is still lingering over Arrowhead. Haley says we should blame him for that putrid loss. Yeah, Todd, we know.

Jim Caldwell Indy. The Colts were seriously some dolts after the opener with the Texans. Caldwell may be the perfect fall guy if Manning never plays again.

Jason Garrett. Dallas had 50 strong minutes of football, then it all blew up in NY. Garrett would be feeling little heat if he had a normal NFL owner. Unfortunately, Jerra Jones is a little psycho and is making squeaks that things ain't right in Big D. I'm torn. I like Garrett and hate Jerra's guts. Let's hope the goof does fire JG. That would confirm Jones' status as a boob.

Your thoughts?

mmmdk
09-12-2011, 10:16 AM
I like Andy Reid and I think he's a good coach. But if he does get canned if this team of his doesn't get to the SB, he won't be unemployed for long. He can sit in a broadcast booth or coach in the NFL the very next season.

Reid's a bad, bad daddy!

BZnDallas
09-12-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm bumping this thread because I really do like "Hot Seat" articles. There's nothing better than seeing a smart ass NFL HC under pressure. I didn't bump it because I cleverly predicted anything. Because I didn't really predict much. I'm also bumping it because nobody really gave a shit last time. Proof of that is I had two number fours and nobody jumped my ass about that.

After most of week 1 games are in, several coaches dumped a sno cone on their seats and they aren't going to burn their asses anymore, at least for now. Gary Kubiak, Marvin Lewis, Andy Reid, Jack Del Rio and Chan Gailey had strong efforts from their teams and don't appear to be candidate for canning like they once did.

But things change and a few coaches are now feeling some fire on their butts.

Todd Haley KC. The stench from the Chiefs opening el foldo is still lingering over Arrowhead. Haley says we should blame him for that putrid loss. Yeah, Todd, we know.

Jim Caldwell Indy. The Colts were seriously some dolts after the opener with the Texans. Caldwell may be the perfect fall guy if Manning never plays again.

Jason Garrett. Dallas had 50 strong minutes of football, then it all blew up in NY. Garrett would be feeling little heat if he had a normal NFL owner. Unfortunately, Jerra Jones is a little psycho and is making squeaks that things ain't right in Big D. I'm torn. I like Garrett and hate Jerra's guts. Let's hope the goof does fire JG. That would confirm Jones' status as a boob.
Your thoughts?

I've been living in Dallas for the last 20 years and i can tell you Jones' 'boob' status has already been confirmed... i should also mention his 'crook' status is confirmed aswell... i loved the wade philllips hiring... that guy didn't scare me one bit as Dallas' HC... however Jason 'the Hunt for RedTopTober' Garrett on the other hand scares the shit me... the team just seems to play with more focus with Jason at the helm... and although i agree with your psycho assesment of Jerra, i think its too early to mention Jason as hot seat material

pbmax
09-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Haley is definitely on the hot seat and his GM Pioli might need to play the "GM gets two shots at coaches card" before the year is out.

Jerry is already disturbed that Dez Bryant is on punt return. And Dez knows where his next contract is coming from as he astutely noted "

“I love doing it,” said Bryant. “I just feel like things happen. I love it a lot. I feel like any moment, I can make a big splash on it. But, hey, it’s whatever Mr. Jones wants. If he don’t want me doing it, it’d be sad. I would love to continue doing it, but hey, he makes the calls.”

As PFT said, some teams have a coach for those kinds of decisions. :)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/12/jerry-jones-not-happy-dez-bryant-gets-hurt-on-punt-returns/

KYPack
09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Yep.

Haley is having a pretty rapid fall from grace. He's an asshole. Former assistants and co-workers are privately describing (when they will comment) the "Haley experience" like having a huge rabid water rat trapped in your sleeping bag. The guy is an egomanical jerk-off and his act is wearing thin at a fast pace.

His polar opposite is Jim Caldwell. Caldwell is some kind of feel good guy. His message of "staying the course, things will get better might not be the right approach. Indy will probably wait until resolution of the Manning situation. If they need a new QB, they will get a new coach.

Guiness
09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree with Caldwell as well.

I don't think he'll get a pass for not having Manning. Even losing a franchise player, a team should be able to pull something together. They had no one in house to carry the load for any period of time (hence Collins' arrival) and looked to be in general disarray. It's not like Manning got hurt in the 4th preseason game, and he had to pull it all together in a hurry - he had the whole preseason, even if he thought Manning would be back.

He'll get a game or two to sort it out, but I can't see there being a lot of patience with performances like that one. If they lay an egg at home to Cleveland next week...wow.

pbmax
09-12-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree with Caldwell as well.

I don't think he'll get a pass for not having Manning. Even losing a franchise player, a team should be able to pull something together. They had no one in house to carry the load for any period of time (hence Collins' arrival) and looked to be in general disarray. It's not like Manning got hurt in the 4th preseason game, and he had to pull it all together in a hurry - he had the whole preseason, even if he thought Manning would be back.

He'll get a game or two to sort it out, but I can't see there being a lot of patience with performances like that one. If they lay an egg at home to Cleveland next week...wow.

Not saying it couldn't happen because the team could implode or something else dramatic. But I would be surprised if Caldwell doesn't get a pass this year. Assuming no Manning, I think as low as 4 to 5 wins could keep his job.

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
You knew stuff would come out about Haley. You just can't do the weird stuff and not get smoked. That last preseason game reminded me of Les Steckel. Not a good place to be.

Fritz
09-12-2011, 05:13 PM
And his weird move to play some of the starters well into the 4th quarter of the last exhibition game...that didn't work out so well for the guy.

If he's as big a turd as has been said, then I hope he gets flushed soon.

KYPack
09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
You knew stuff would come out about Haley. You just can't do the weird stuff and not get smoked. That last preseason game reminded me of Les Steckel. Not a good place to be.

Me too! I didn't want the dated reference, but that's just who he reminds me of. One Minny paper had a great headline when Steckel was canned... "Less Steckel".

Haley is getting lot's of flack. The dizzy bastard ducked out of camp one nite to go to a Lil Wayne show. Everybody was pissed at that.

Guiness
10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Haley continues to show what an ass he is. The latest quote is that he's encouraging players to yell back at him.

“Hey,” Haley says, “I love it.”http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/03/after-yelling-at-haley-cassel-says-he-responds-well-when-pushed/
Can't see what could possibly go wrong. I wonder if there's a Charles Martin-esque personality on that team?

In other news, my call for Shanny the Rat's head seems to be staved off. Reid hasn't gotten his team off to a great start, I wonder if there's any possibility he's in trouble the way some thought he would be if he didn't win.

St-Louis' HC should be in trouble if he isn't. They were widely picked to win that division.

Joemailman
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM

You still on board with this? ;-)

KYPack
10-03-2011, 09:03 PM
You still on board with this? ;-)

I've long thought Philly was not constructed to be a "dream". They have weak LB's and have a very poor Oline. That won't get you far in the NFC East. Andy Reid to be fired? Somebody will have to take the fall in Philly. Andy may be urged to "retire" if this collapse continues.

Haley in KC also appears to be on a very warm stool. Haley and tough Tony Sparano might not see the end of the season in their jobs.

pbmax
10-03-2011, 09:05 PM
If they were kind they would dump Sparano, but to do so makes the owner look even dumber, first for the pursuit of Harbaugh and then the extension to Tony.

I think they let him dangle and make a right mess out of it. Tony can't have much control over that team given the thin ice he has been on since the Harbaugh chase.

KYPack
10-05-2011, 08:51 PM
PFT today put Andy Reid #3 on their revamped Hot list.

My original list looks pretty weak in spots, Kubiak and Gailey look more like COY candidates than fired coaches.

I stand by my original thoughts on big Andy. If the Eagle ship hits a sand bar, they well may fire the captain of the boat.

shammye06
10-06-2011, 06:01 AM
PFT today put Andy Reid #3 on their revamped Hot list.

My original list looks pretty weak in spots, Kubiak and Gailey look more like COY candidates than fired coaches.

I stand by my original thoughts on big Andy. If the Eagle ship hits a sand bar, they well may fire the captain of the boat.

I agree. It's like the team is not hearing him anymore so they might have to make a move.

Fritz
10-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Well, if Reid ends up canned, he'll have two or three job offers as soon as teams' seasons end.

sheepshead
10-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Lovie Smith?

Guiness
10-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Lovie Smith?

He should go if for no other reason than keeping Martz around.

Fritz
10-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Lovie wins despite having a severe lack of talent.

How about Pete Carroll? That guy can't cheat his way into getting the best players like he could at USC, so he's finding that the NFL is a little tougher place.

I feel for Schneider. He's the nominal GM but Carroll has his hands heavy into the player personnel pot. So Carroll essentially gave away a third for Lynch, made some other half-assed personnel decisions, but he's being paid so much that Schneider is more likely to be shit-canned if someone has to take a fall out there.

Pugger
10-07-2011, 07:49 AM

Reid? :shock: When has he won anything? Thanks but no thanks.

I do agree, if this dream/nightmare team continues to tank he'll be canned. He probably will get another job somewhere else but not at 1265.

pbmax
10-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Sparano has survived this week. A bit surprising. Losing Henne might muddy the water enough to make survival of the season more likely and less of a PR nightmare.

Guiness
10-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Let's look at the original list

1. Chan Gailey Buffalo I'd say he's pretty safe! 3-1 start, Fitz looks good. I saw on a Bills message board that Fitz is the lowest paid starting QB in the league

2. Tony Sporano Miami Dead man walking

3. Gary Kubiak Houston Beats Pitt, beats Indi He's safe!

4. Jack Del Rio Jacksonville (See Kubiak). This one is going to be close. Getting rid of Garrard gives him an excuse, and the young QB seems to be coming along. I'd say safe.

4. Andy Reid Philly Andy Reid This one could actually be up in the air! Suprising, I would have paced this one as least likely, but that team is shitting the bed. Buffalo at home this week-end is not making things easier.

5. Marvin Lewis Cincinnati I just don't know

6. Hue Jackson Oakland playing .500 ball, look respectable. Last coach played .500 though! I think he gets out of the season, unless that defense loses them too many games.

7. Ken Whisenhunt Arizona. Team is not playing well. Maybe he goes? A possibility

Three more to go…
Tom Coughlin (looks safe) Norv Turner (safe. Ugly start, but wining!), and

Jim Caldwell gets my vote for a guy who should be gone. Didn't lose the team, he never had them. It's apparent they were Manning's team all along

mraynrand
10-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Lovie wins despite having a severe lack of talent.

How about Pete Carroll? That guy can't cheat his way into getting the best players like he could at USC, so he's finding that the NFL is a little tougher place.

I feel for Schneider. He's the nominal GM but Carroll has his hands heavy into the player personnel pot. So Carroll essentially gave away a third for Lynch, made some other half-assed personnel decisions, but he's being paid so much that Schneider is more likely to be shit-canned if someone has to take a fall out there.

Schneider didn't really make the decision to bring Carroll in, did he? I mean, that was one sweet deal for a guy basically bailing out of a corrupt program he made. Carroll was simply fleeing the bed he shit in. He's going down in the NFL, and going down hard. Carroll looks to be taking the John Calipari-esque "coach laundering" route back to college football. Next thing you know you'll hear him saying ""I would like to apologize to that fucking Mexican idiot Dan Garcia for my ill-advised attempt at humor and insensitivity"

Fritz
10-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Schneider didn't really make the decision to bring Carroll in, did he? I mean, that was one sweet deal for a guy basically bailing out of a corrupt program he made. Carroll was simply fleeing the bed he shit in. He's going down in the NFL, and going down hard. Carroll looks to be taking the John Calipari-esque "coach laundering" route back to college football. Next thing you know you'll hear him saying ""I would like to apologize to that fucking Mexican idiot Dan Garcia for my ill-advised attempt at humor and insensitivity"

I believe you're right. If I recall correctly, Schneider was hired first, but the owner got a boner for Carroll and brought him in. What could Schneider say? Schneider seems to me as if he's forced to sit on his hands while Pete acquires stars like Tavaris Jackson.

I hope Pete Carroll ends up coaching in the CFL or in the Arena league or something.

Guiness
10-07-2011, 02:46 PM

I wish I could go down hard with a 5yr, $25million contract!

mraynrand
10-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Who wouldn't? Coach Laundering shouldn't be this lucrative. Usually these bastards have to coach at something like Northeastern Texas Tech or something before they are allowed back at a major college program.

mmmdk
10-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Crack this teasing suggestion; how about coach R3-S6? :wink:

pbmax
10-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Seattle had it backward from the beginning. Carroll first, with full authority, then Schneider.

Upnorth
10-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I believe you're right. If I recall correctly, Schneider was hired first, but the owner got a boner for Carroll and brought him in. What could Schneider say? Schneider seems to me as if he's forced to sit on his hands while Pete acquires stars like Tavaris Jackson.

I hope Pete Carroll ends up coaching in the CFL or in the Arena league or something.

If you can send him to the stampeders, eskimos or lions in the cfl I would send you a cake and beer.
GO RIDERS!!!!

Upnorth
10-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Your such a slut, wishing to go down hard, but you are an expensive slut!

KYPack
10-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Andy Reid!? Come on.

The music has stopped after five games It’s time to see who still has a chair to sit on and how hot that chair is. This is my re-tooled and re-worked hot seat list after the early start of the season.

1. Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins
Tony is almost too easy a target. In fact there is a new “school of thought” on the Sparano firing. Tony is as good a coach as any to lead the Dolphins to the “Luck promised land”. All is in collapse in Dolphin-ville. Why not let Tough Tony continue his great work at getting Miami the top QB prospect since Aaron Rodgers? Tony has been on the hot seat so long, he’s worn it out. One way or the other, Tony is not going to coach Miami in 2012. When he goes is anyone’s guess.

2. Jack DelRio, Jacksonville Jaguars
Jack has also logged a lot of miles on the old hot chair. A home loss to the Bengals? That would seem to seal Linebacker Jack’s fate. This was the year he had to make the play-offs. Management also decided he had to play the kid at QB. Both things will not happen and Jack D will take the fall for it.

3. Todd Haley, Kansas City Chiefs
This seat cooled down with a victory last Sunday, but just a little. There are a ton of problems in KC. Most of them trace back to Haley. Arrogant, rude, hard to work with and for, those are some of Haley’s good points. Many observers point to his deteriorating relationships with the owner and GM as terminal trouble for Haley, who was seen as a savior of the franchise just last season.

4. Andy Reid, Philadelphia Eagles

I bumped this post as a reply to Harlan. Yep, Andy Reid is on a big time hotseat There is trouble the land of the cheese steaks. Serious smoke is pouring out of the engine room. They may have to let go of Captain Andy. The good ship Eagle is heading down. Andy made the move with the DC, moving Castillo from Oline coach to DC. It hasn’t worked a lick. Vick has had problems and injuries. Andy looks beleaguered and baffled. This could be his last season in Philly.

5. Steve Spagnuolo, St. Louis Rams

Another guy who looked like a golden boy as late as last season. Spags had all the credentials as a promising young coordinator who could really run a team. It looked like it would go Steve’s way thru most of last season. He had the Rams headed back to the play-offs, then a late season collapse sent them back home again. There is another problem, they have never recovered from that collapse. They have not fielded a competitive team this season. There is a lot on the line when the Packers show up this Sunday in St Looey. Many think Steve Spagnuolo’s job is one of those things. I really think Steve is on the point of imminent danger, but I hate to put him higher on the list. Sunday has all the makings of a trap and I don’t want to help build the snare.

Obviously, Chan Gailey coached his way off my early list. But not so fast Gary Kubiak. I’m still keeping a spot for little slick, Gary K. If the injury bug bites and the Tex’s don’t make the play-offs, they still may make a change in Houston. Jim Caldwell will probably keep his job if Manning can play again. If they need a new QB, they will get a new coach.

KYPack
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
OH yeah, forgot one other pilgrim on our little trip. Ken Whisenhunt, come on down. The Cards start 1 and 4 and Ken says he's to blame? OK, have a seat, pal. When the Vikings beat you, this seat will be a little warm. Try to not let it bother you and win a few games, wilya?

pbmax
10-11-2011, 09:58 AM
There is a report that Reid is considering bringing in a consultant for the defense during their bye week.

He really needs one for clock management.

Cheesehead Craig
10-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't think their coach is on the hot seat, but could Indy be tanking the season on purpose to get Luck?

How else does one explain how they completely messed up their QB position knowing Manning wasn't able to play.

mmmdk
10-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Reid it and weep! :lol:

Sorry but I will not shed a tear for the Iggles - ever!

KYPack
10-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't think their coach is on the hot seat, but could Indy be tanking the season on purpose to get Luck?

How else does one explain how they completely messed up their QB position knowing Manning wasn't able to play.

Goodell has a little problem there. Irsay shot his mouth off in a tweet that Indy might go for Luck. If they sign Luck, bye bye Peyton Manning and Caldwell, for sure.

Indy, Miami, and other teams may enter into a "Suck for Luck" contest. That would be a PR (Public Relations, not PackerRat$) nightmare. I think Goodell needs to head that kind of stuff off at the pass as soon as possible.

PoohToes
10-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Hue Jackson 1, Al Davis 0.

Rumors are floating around that the Davis family now want to move the team back to LA.

Shanahan is one of the most overrated head coaches ever, right up there with Jon Gruden. He inherited a great team and commenced to slowly turn them into trash. The Redskins have started this season well, but I think they have a better chance to completely blow a good thing than Buffalo... and that's really saying something.

My #1 choice for the hot seat is Sparano... he was a Parcells guy and Parcells isn't there anymore. Team stinks and now they have a QB who wasn't good enough for the Panthers as their starter. Yeah, I see that ending soon.

Fritz
10-11-2011, 04:23 PM
I like it: Suck for Luck!

If Drew Barrymore owned an NFL franchise I'd offer to interpret that phrase for her.

In the meantime, Indy and Miami are the leaders coming out of the first turn and heading into the backstretch.

KYPack
11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Time to update the thread nobody cares about, but I like to read. The old hot seat is like a merry go round. When seats cools off, the occupants hop off and new guys have a seat. Jumping off since I last looked at this are Todd Haley and Andy Reid. Most Pack fans love old Andy and it’s good to see him get some breathing room. Haley is an insufferable egotist, but the owner supported the tough stretch and he’s looking good right now.
1. Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins: Any and all hot seat lists begin with Tough Tony. The Dolphins are for shit and not really improving much. That said, I really like Tony Sparano. You might beat Miami, but they will be ready to play and will punch you in the mouth in the process. He’s a tough old boot football coach and will work in the league after the Miami debacle is over. He most probably will last the year and work next year someplace if he wants to.
2. Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Colts: The invisible coach has gotten himself a bunch of unwanted visibility. Many think the Colts will make a clean sweep if they win the “Suck for Luck” bowl. Only one guy gets franchise money and Luck would replace Peyton as Colt QB. Caldwell was good in his role as caretaker, but the Pony’s will need a builder and that isn’t silent Jim’s forte.
3.Mike Shanahan With Andy Reid escaping the old hot seat, a nice replacement is quickly found. Shanny the Rat, come on down! The Skins are one hot mess. Aimless, shameless and with no arms, the Redskins are kinda like the Venus de Milo. Does Shanahan know what he’s doing? Maybe 15 years ago, but not now. His record sucks and the ship is sinking fast.
4. Steve Spagnuolo, St. Louis Rams: 1 and 6 looks a helluva a lot better than 0-7. Spags turned down the thermostat under his chair with a big win against the Saints last week. The Rams are still a St Looey disappointment. Steve will have to get the Rams play a lot better to get to 5 – 11 for the season. That isn’t what the Ram fans wanted in Spag’s third year.
5. Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville Jaguars: Big Jack got big win for the Jags on Monday night against Baltimore. It won’t be enough. The owner is on record that Jack had to get in the play-offs this year and that ain’t happening. As far as Jack’s future, see Tony Sparano. Playing the Jags might be a win, but you pay the price to beat a Del Rio team. A great DC, Jack will probably be a HC someplace in the future.
6. Ken Whisenhunt, Arizona Cardinals: Is the Whiz a Wiz? I don’t think so, mommy. He’s more like a Shanny with a thinner resume. Minus Kurt Warner, Ken hasn’t produced much. The front office let a lot of good players go, but Whiz hasn’t done much coaching up the replacements. They might give him one more season, they might not.

mraynrand
11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
3.Mike Shanahan With Andy Reid escaping the old hot seat, a nice replacement is quickly found. Shanny the Rat, come on down! The Skins are one hot mess. Aimless, shameless and with no arms, the Redskins are kinda like the Venus de Milo. Does Shanahan know what he’s doing? Maybe 15 years ago, but not now. His record sucks and the ship is sinking fast.

Shanny has to wonder why Grossman just doesn't have that mediocre Griese-esque 'roll-out' talent. Also, it's hard to roll out and complete that 5 yard pass to the TE, when you don't have the TE.

Shanny has the Forrest Gregg/Las Vegas Buffet kinda thing going on there: I 8 and 8 and 8 and 8 and 8 and 8 .....

sheepshead
11-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Hue Jackson 1, Al Davis 0.

Rumors are floating around that the Davis family now want to move the team back to LA.

Shanahan is one of the most overrated head coaches ever, right up there with Jon Gruden. He inherited a great team and commenced to slowly turn them into trash. The Redskins have started this season well, but I think they have a better chance to completely blow a good thing than Buffalo... and that's really saying something.

My #1 choice for the hot seat is Sparano... he was a Parcells guy and Parcells isn't there anymore. Team stinks and now they have a QB who wasn't good enough for the Panthers as their starter. Yeah, I see that ending soon.

Shanahan and Gruden won super bowls...what the hell else do you need to be highly thought of as a coach in the NFL?

Fritz
11-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Sparano and maybe Del Rio might be the kind of guys who could make a great career as coordinators, maybe not so much as head coaches.

KYPack
11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Sparano and maybe Del Rio might be the kind of guys who could make a great career as coordinators, maybe not so much as head coaches.

Both guys are really capable coaches and tough bastards to boot. HC's?, I dunno.

There were a couple other guys I thought of putting on the list. Jason Garrett is not setting the world on fire down in big D. I love watching Jerra scooch his ass around in his booth, watching the Cowpukes lose. If they tube again, is Garrett the fall guy? I watched the Bengals blow up the SeaChickens last Sunday. Pete Carroll is a dizzy fucker when it comes to making decisions and running the clock. I'd like to see him get canned and not hired back in college ball.

pbmax
11-04-2011, 08:27 AM
I think Spags survives based on his defense. Those guys are playing decently and have contributed to a closer than expected loss (Packers) and a no way in the world win (Saints). I think he gets a chance to reboot his offense.

mraynrand
11-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Shanahan and Gruden won super bowls...what the hell else do you need to be highly thought of as a coach in the NFL?

Have a clue what you're doing, maybe?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9A6RpBWBJU0/TNzL_LjIJsI/AAAAAAAAADQ/SXw6WgStGP0/s1600/0429switzer.jpg

Even guys like Shanny can lose their edge

Fritz
11-04-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm with you KY. I love to see Jerra pooping in his seat, and Pete Carroll get shit-canned and be resigned to a life of telling stories about the glory days, with listeners reminding him he cheated all the way.

KYPack
11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I think Spags survives based on his defense. Those guys are playing decently and have contributed to a closer than expected loss (Packers) and a no way in the world win (Saints). I think he gets a chance to reboot his offense.

Well, I dunno about that one.

St Lou is the 30th ranked D overall and last against the rush.

NE is 32 overall, BTW.

Spags is having his troubles on both sides of the ball.

Guiness
11-05-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm with you KY. I love to see Jerra pooping in his seat, and Pete Carroll get shit-canned and be resigned to a life of telling stories about the glory days, with listeners reminding him he cheated all the way.

If there's a guy I wouldn't mind seeing fail, it's Carroll. Maybe I'm a hater, and they all do it at that level, but I detest what he did.

KYPack
11-05-2011, 09:57 AM
If there's a guy I wouldn't mind seeing fail, it's Carroll. Maybe I'm a hater, and they all do it at that level, but I detest what he did.

You would have loved the Bengal Seahawk game. Carroll ran around like a fool, exhorting the crowd, mis-managing the clock, and making goofy personnel changes that all back-fired. The whole time, Carroll blundered around, with all his rah-rah bullshit. As a result, the Hawks were blown out at home. He started Whitehurst, then inserted Jackson when that didn't work. Now he has two QB's pissed at him, with no real starter.

Carroll is overmatched at the pro level and a pariah in college ball. Most Carroll haters will get their wishes answered this year.

pbmax
11-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Todd Haley, have a rest back on the hot seat. You cost me in a suicide pool. Never trust a coach who plays the starters late in the 4th preseason game. 31-3? Seriously? At home, to the Dolphins?

mraynrand
11-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Todd Haley, have a rest back on the hot seat. You cost me in a suicide pool. Never trust a coach who plays the starters late in the 4th preseason game. 31-3? Seriously? At home, to the Dolphins?

What, do you have 24 hours to report for disintegration?

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a8/Disintegration_station.jpg

pbmax
11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
What, do you have 24 hours to report for disintegration?

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a8/Disintegration_station.jpg

No me personally, but a $20 bill from my wallet is headed in there.

Guiness
11-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Who had Del Rio! The winnah!

Seriously though, who fires a coach at this point in the season? The team sold as well, was the firing the last action of the old owner, or the first action of the new owner???

edit: Looks like it was Weaver on the way out, but probably at the new owner's behest. Reports coming out that DelRio had pretty much checked out of the job some time ago.

pbmax
11-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't know if it was the old or new owner, but I have heard repeatedly that the old owner, even when he wished to make a change, did not want to pay Del Rio not to coach for multiple years.

Jax is a club defined by how much money it does not wish to spend. I suspect that was the reason Garrard was let go at the beginning of the season.

Haley's defense might keep him employed next year.

And there are rumblings that there are changes in store or Leslie Frazier (not just his address either) as the club or Frazier or both wish to change coaches on defense.

The Colts have already shed Larry Coyer as a sacrifice to the stay employed gods.

Anyone think Coughlin is in trouble if the GI Ants don't make the playoffs?

mraynrand
11-29-2011, 03:22 PM

With Gruden and Shanahan as recent guides, I'm not sure what the statue of limitations is on keeping on Superbowl winning coaches. I think the key is whether the owners can still stand looking at the coach and/or whether the coach has lost the team. If the Giants just tank the rest of the year, I'd suspect Tom would be looking to his laurels. Or a beach somewhere.

Guiness
11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't know if it was the old or new owner, but I have heard repeatedly that the old owner, even when he wished to make a change, did not want to pay Del Rio not to coach for multiple years.

Jax is a club defined by how much money it does not wish to spend. I suspect that was the reason Garrard was let go at the beginning of the season.

Haley's defense might keep him employed next year.

And there are rumblings that there are changes in store or Leslie Frazier (not just his address either) as the club or Frazier or both wish to change coaches on defense.

The Colts have already shed Larry Coyer as a sacrifice to the stay employed gods.

yes, I remember that about Delrio.

Funny how coaches get guaranteed contracts and players don't. I remember hearing about a coach that ownership tried to convince to quit, but he said he wouldn't. Was that Lane in Oakland?

KYPack
11-29-2011, 07:56 PM
yes, I remember that about Delrio.

Funny how coaches get guaranteed contracts and players don't. I remember hearing about a coach that ownership tried to convince to quit, but he said he wouldn't. Was that Lane in Oakland?

Never tell your boss he can't fire you or tell a cop he can't take you to jail.

Big Jack's seat got so hot, it burned thru the floor. Tony S and Caldwell are on the "gone" list fer sure. There are many rumblings about Coughlin as well. Spagnoulo seems to have ralled St Lou. I read a real bitter article about Frazier in Minny. Those guys are along way away from competitive. I love seeing the Purple in the total toilet.

Lot's of comments are being made that there will be a race by several teams to LA. The Chargers and Jax seem to be leading in that rumor mill.

KYPack
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Time to rev up the thread I like and nobody else cares about. The old hot seat is getting serious. Idle conjecture in August, this shit is deadly serious in December. Just ask Jack Del Rio. Big Jack was probably equally relieved as he was pissed off when fired. When your owner tells you that you must make the play-offs, that’s pressure, boy. Del Rio is our first lucky winner in the hot seat derby, but all indications are that quite a few guys will be coaching free agents this spring.
Top candidate for the hot seat? New Jags coach Mel Tucker. He wears the interim tag and doesn’t appear to have done much to lose the idea that he, too, will be replaced before 2012 season starts. Will Mel have a less than 10 game run as an NFL coach? Probably so.
Next up is Tony Sparano. Tony has fought off the critics by completely turning around the Fish. He is admired for the first class coaching he has done with little to no help from the front office. If Tony does get canned, he will coach in ‘12 if he chooses to. He will be in demand thru-out the league as a HC or coordinator.
Andy Reid - Identified as a possible fall guy if the Dream Team failed earlier in this thread. The Big Guy has actually shown his coaching mettle and may be given another chance. Andy may be lucky that the collapse happened early in the season, many think he will get another season to put Philly back into contention in the tough NFC East.
Jason Garrett, c’mon down. Garrett did some incredibly weird shit in last week’s loss, including nullifying a winning field goal, icing his own kicker in the process. That’s bad enuff, but Garrett still seems to be at a loss to explain what in the hell he was doing. Dallas owner Jerra Jones may think it is time to make a change and get some production out of a team that has a lot of talent but can’t win. Getting a Head coach that is an asset instead of a handicap might be a way to do that.
Jim Caldwell. Most observers think Caldwell and Peyton Manning will depart as Indy brings in all new people to recover from the disaster that was the ‘011 season.
Norv Turner His main talent seems to be constantly listed on Hot Seat lists. SD will make a lot of changes, starting with canning Turner and getting a live new HC will be a priority in the off-season.
Tom Coughlin. Tom has spent a lot of time on these lists, too. The NYG have a top QB, a great DL and most of the elements of a top team, but not a great record. You can’t fire the team like they are doing in Indy, but you can fire the HC. This should happen this year.
Raheem Morris. Looked like he had this young club headed in the right direction. This is a bad year for the Bucs. Morris has shown to be a pretty testy dude with the players, who have basically under-achieved. He is in danger of being shown the door, but to a lesser extent than the others above him on this list.
Leslie Frazier. This was always seen as a rebuilding year in the Twin Cities. But Frazier has stuck his neck out with management in some strange personnel battles (McNabb, for instance). Leslie is on thin ice, probably thick enough to get him into ’12, but he’ll need to win sometime up there.
3 other guys have turned the burners under their chairs way down. Ken Whisenhunt, Todd Haley, and Steve Spagnoulo seem to have rallied their teams enough to gain another season in the coaching position. If there is a surprise firing this off-season, one of those guys could well be the dude that goes.

sheepshead
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
did you see Shermys name attached to the Jax opening?

KYPack
12-06-2011, 02:56 PM
did you see Shermys name attached to the Jax opening?

Yeah, I saw that one, Sheeps. The amazing thing about that deal was it allegedly went down before A&M canned the Sherm. I don't think that will happen. I believe the new owner in JAX will want a coach with a helluva lot more sizzle than Shermy would provide.

pbmax
12-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Everyone's favorite angry man, Todd Haley, has been relieved of HC duties so he can focus on washing Scott Pioli's car.

jasonjwilde Jason Wilde
Well, guess #Packers will face a different coach Sunday. RT @kcchiefs: HALEY RELIEVED OF DUTIES - goo.gl/P3fHB #chiefs
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

denverYooper
12-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Everyone's favorite angry man, Todd Haley, has been relieved of HC duties so he can focus on washing Scott Pioli's car.

jasonjwilde Jason Wilde
Well, guess #Packers will face a different coach Sunday. RT @kcchiefs: HALEY RELIEVED OF DUTIES - goo.gl/P3fHB #chiefs
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Wow...

pbmax
12-12-2011, 11:42 AM
DC Romeo Crennel, last seen aboard the HMS Browns Titanic will take over for the balance of the season.

mraynrand
12-12-2011, 11:46 AM
The Romeo Crennel era begins. I feel confident he can repeat the success he enjoyed in Cleveland.

MadScientist
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
What gives? Doesn't KC know that they are supposed to wait until after the Packers blow them out to fire their coach?

gbgary
12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
ambush game? kc may be a little tougher game now. he was such an idiot. now if det would just wise up.

Fritz
12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Wow... Del Rio, now Haley. This is starting to sound like part VII of The Fast and the Furious.

The rudderless ship in Cleveland has me puzzled. Is this Shurmur's first year?

I think that Andy Reid may be gone unless Philly phinishes strong. I believe the Phins' coach has saved his tuna for another year, but I think Norv Turner has finally worn out his welcome in SD.

Would anybody really hire Mike Sherman as a head coach, or even as an offensive coordinator in the NFL?

Packgator
12-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Would anybody really hire Mike Sherman as a head coach, or even as an offensive coordinator in the NFL?

Jacksonville?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20111205-report-former-texas-am-hc-mike-sherman-on-jacksonville-jaguars-radar.ece

mraynrand
12-12-2011, 01:39 PM

It's a transition year. They are like the Packers during Thompson's second year, except with less initial talent. Last year was a wasted year with Mangini in there. They have to clear more dead wood in this rebuilding project. Rumor is that Hillis is a lockerroom cancer and it's obvious that Cribbs self-serving. Get this - the guy goes out and tailgates with the fans two hours before game time. He did the same thing a couple years ago vying for a new contract. As the only visible talent left following the dismissal of obnoxious talents Winslow and Edwards, he stoked fan anger against the team into getting him signed for more money. As far as his importance to the team, he's much like Hester, but with far less talent in and around him.
The coaches did blow it with Colt McCoy in the game at Pittsburgh, but so Far, Dick Jauron is doing a pretty decent job installing the 4-3 in Cleveland, and the offense just needs more talent. It really hurt them in pass-pro and third down efficiency to lose Brandon Jackson for the year with an injury.

denverYooper
12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Sounds like Sparano got the axe in MIA.

denverYooper
12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Now with linky-goodness:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/12/dolphins-fire-tony-sparano/

KYPack
12-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Wow... Del Rio, now Haley. This is starting to sound like part VII of The Fast and the Furious.

I think that Andy Reid may be gone unless Philly phinishes strong. I believe the Phins' coach has saved his tuna for another year, but I think Norv Turner has finally worn out his welcome in SD.

More Fritz ESP?

Actually, I'd hire tough Tony in a minute. He mainly got hosed by the front office.

Haley? yeah, he was an asshole. Pioli was saving his butt. The owner (Baby Hunt) wants to model KC after Pitt. This move doesn't do much for continuity in KC, I'll tell ya.

Caldwell is a dead man walkin'.

Leslie Frazier looks like a man who lost his keys, maybe he'll get nailed for Minny's worst season.

Shermy? If I was Shrmur, I'd hire Sherm as an OC. Shermy is a good coach, he just needs to coach a line or an offense. He's not a HC or (no way) a GM.

pbmax
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Gotta be Norv as well. That would make 4. Shurmur probably survives. Caldwell might not. Steve Spagnuolo probably gets a bye on a bad year after a promising one last year. Shanny gets another one to find the next John Elway, or at least Jake Plummer. Chan Gailey's Bills collapse, but they are not spending on a new coach. The Tebows are safe.

Hue Jackson is safe unless they give a GM permission to run the entire show from Year 1. Pete Carroll always sounds like he has it figured out, he stays. Ron Rivera has the Newton train to ride. Lovie gets a pass on Cutler's injury. The Schwartz is likely to make the playoffs then explode into space. Frazier would be kept if the team is moving, let go if they stay, unless he was not on the McNabb bus, which if I recall, he was driving. Wiz survives with Kolb injury and Sklelton tease. Jerry could get rash with Jason and install his son as coach and Reid will get one more year to salvage the Vick experiment.

So I predict Norv and Caldwell go brining us to 5. Plus a possibility that Frazier and Jackson could get the boot depending on forces outside the football chain of command.

pbmax
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Shermy? If I was Shrmur, I'd hire Sherm as an OC. Shermy is a good coach, he just needs to coach a line or an offense. He's not a HC or (no way) a GM.

If he would take such a position, he would be great at it. Needs a RB there though. I could see Shurmur resisting such a move as Sherman could be the interim coach-in-waiting.

Fritz
12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
I like Sporano. He seems like Jim Schvantz but with coaching skills.

Guess I sure was wrong about Sporano. He's got the Phish playing very well with a journeyman QB, and he gets canned? Sheesh. Frazier can't get four wins out of a Vikes team with a first round rookie QB and Adrian Peterson, and he might keep his job...

Packgator
12-12-2011, 05:01 PM

Guess I sure was wrong about Sporano. He's got the Phish playing very well with a journeyman QB, and he gets canned?

They were really bad yesterday. Looks like management was waiting for them to lose one game and then axe him.

channtheman
12-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Guess I sure was wrong about Sporano. He's got the Phish playing very well with a journeyman QB, and he gets canned? Sheesh. Frazier can't get four wins out of a Vikes team with a first round rookie QB and Adrian Peterson, and he might keep his job...

How many years has Frazier been coaching the Vikings? I thought it was his first year there, couldn't be more than his second though, could it?

KYPack
12-12-2011, 05:17 PM
How many years has Frazier been coaching the Vikings? I thought it was his first year there, couldn't be more than his second though, could it?

Last year he was interim when they shot Chilly after the Bert fiasco. This is his first official year, 2nd all told. Why does it seem like he's been there for 500 years?

I agree with PB's list. Sounds about right. Jason Garrett would be a good one, too. He doesn't look like a NFL coach. More like an asst mgr in an electronics store.

Chan Gailey is a beauty. I thought sure he was taking the Bills down the tube. Then, he looks like a genius. Now he's back to a moron again. They won't pay for a new guy, so he'll hang in there.

pbmax
12-12-2011, 05:45 PM

The Dolphins are in good hands. The Owner says he wants a "young Don Shula" which is like a 14 yo boy saying he wants to marry a young Miss America. Jeff Ireland says he wants somebody with experience, has been in the trenches and with a background on both sides of the football (offense and defense).

Any assistant could meet Stephen Ross' dumb description. Off the top of my head the only one who meets Ireland's description is Juan Castillo. So its nice to see they are on the same page. The good news is that the former O Line/D Coordinator Castillo will be available after this year.

Guiness
12-12-2011, 06:21 PM
I believe the Phins' coach has saved his tuna for another year,

Wow Fritz, I nominate you for a guest whammy game thread appearance!

Guiness
12-12-2011, 06:37 PM

Good point. Funny to think the Dolphins were that close to singing Brees - and ended up with Culpepper and Harrington!

The Owner says he wants a "young Don Shula"

Well, why not, eh? We wanted a modern day Vince McMahon when we got rid of Shermy...oh wait, we got one! Maybe there's hope for Miami after all!

Guiness
12-12-2011, 06:46 PM
The tally is at three; Del Rio, Haley and Sparano. Turner should go, I actually think his team playing as well as they are is not good for him, everyone is asking why they weren't playing that good all along! I think he gets fired even if they slip into the playoffs. If Caldwell goes, that five, which seems like a usual number.

I wonder if Shannahan is in jeopardy?

sheepshead
12-12-2011, 07:21 PM
The only real reason I can think of to fire these guys now is to start courting the big names out there that are not currently on teams. (Chin, Chucky et al) Otherwise, why wouldn't you let the current guy be as you cant approach an assistant until when? His season is over I think. So is it safe to assume all three teams will be going after unemployed big name former coaches?

MadtownPacker
12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
M3 better watch his ass if he loses another game.

Tarlam!
12-12-2011, 07:47 PM

On a related note, he better his entire coaching staff's asses! Clements has officially applied fot the vacant Pitt job and it is hard not to notice how competetant the position coaches are. I don't see Dom going anywhere to be an HC, but Trygo as a DC somewhere? Would be a major loss.

Guiness
12-12-2011, 08:42 PM
On a related note, he better his entire coaching staff's asses! Clements has officially applied fot the vacant Pitt job and it is hard not to notice how competetant the position coaches are. I don't see Dom going anywhere to be an HC, but Trygo as a DC somewhere? Would be a major loss.

I can see some losses coming.

We dodged that bullet last year, because most vacancies were filled by the time the SB was over. We lost little or nothing after the win, a bit of a rarity. Teams being anxious to fill the positions won out. But this year, with an SB win under their belt, the other teams might be willing to wait the extra time to talk to out staff.

Guiness
12-12-2011, 08:53 PM
:cnf:

Did Madtown make a joke? :crazy:

pbmax
12-12-2011, 09:16 PM
A good call on the coach poach. Darren Perry was getting some run for a DC position before Tomlin took over in Pittsburgh and brought in some of his own guys. Trgo has already been there and performed pretty well.

I think teams do this early to line up interviews so they can have their pick of the litter. This way, no one can stall by stating they will not consider a position that is currently filled (unless its filled by an interim guy, it seems). Also gives them time to line up a bunch of candidates and satisfy the Rooney Rule before a front runner emerges and the candidates dry up.

Tarlam!
12-12-2011, 10:26 PM

It on NFL.com. Sporano just got fired.

pbmax
12-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Well after I thought he would get a pass on an abnormal year, everyone on radio and web is on the Spags Fire Watch after the weekend.

Also, Jason Garret gets the dreaded vote of confidence: Jerry Jones insists Jason Garrett’s job is safe (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/13/jerry-jones-insists-jason-garretts-job-is-safe/)
Not good.

Tarlam!
12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Well after I thought he would get a pass on an abnormal year, everyone on radio and web is on the Spags Fire Watch after the weekend.

Also, Jason Garret gets the dreaded vote of confidence: Jerry Jones insists Jason Garrett’s job is safe (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/13/jerry-jones-insists-jason-garretts-job-is-safe/)
Not good.

I saw the interview. I have to believe Garret is fine. My head is still trying to wrap around Haley and Saprono.

KYPack
12-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I saw the interview. I have to believe Garret is fine. My head is still trying to wrap around Haley and Saprono.

Speaking of Garrett, shouldn't one of the NFC East coaches get canned? That whole division has underachieved. At least fire Shanny, that'd cheer me up.

The drums are starting to beat about Caldwell. There is a blurb out that Caldwell will be fired if the Colts go 0-16. Well, no shit! Do they think he should be retained if they go 2-14? Jimbo is a dead man walkin'.

Smith in Atlanta is a possible burn out case. He's been in the hospital for chest pains. NFL coaches that like to go for it on 4th down tend to have chest pains.

Another team that's limping back to the barn is Tampa. That looked like a brilliant young team in the fall. They are a shambles and Raheem Morris has to take some of the blame for that debacle.

gbgary
12-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Speaking of Garrett, shouldn't one of the NFC East coaches get canned? That whole division has underachieved. At least fire Shanny, that'd cheer me up.

The drums are starting to beat about Caldwell. There is a blurb out that Caldwell will be fired if the Colts go 0-16. Well, no shit! Do they think he should be retained if they go 2-14? Jimbo is a dead man walkin'.

Smith in Atlanta is a possible burn out case. He's been in the hospital for chest pains. NFL coaches that like to go for it on 4th down tend to have chest pains.

Another team that's limping back to the barn is Tampa. That looked like a brilliant young team in the fall. They are a shambles and Raheem Morris has to take some of the blame for that debacle.

yup...all of that. ya know...every since that "let's run one more" call, just before halftime in the playoff game, nothing's been the same for smith. :D

Fritz
12-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I thought Tampa was a real up-and-comer, but no. Maybe Raheem's act wears thin fast. Like I think Jimmy Harbaugh's will.

Tarlam!
12-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Like I think Jimmy Harbaugh's will.

I hear ya Fritz. The NFL did a nice fluff video on the whole Harbaugh family and I liked it at the time. They have a phrase from Papa Harbaugh that they use to coach up the emotions of their respective teams. I can't recall it, but it was about making a difference today.

Compare that to M3's message coming in; He said, this team doesn't need how to cope with adversity. It needs to learn how to cope with success. That coming offf a 4-12 season! It's been the mantra ever since. One game at a time. Stay confident, stay focussed, stay humble - cope with the success.

mraynrand
12-15-2011, 07:25 PM

Especially when they do it on their own 30 in OT.
This is the big one. Here I come lizabeth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdi-1tIUhM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdi-1tIUhM&feature=related

KYPack
12-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Smith is a special case, he's headed to the play-offs, but ill health has taken many an NFL coach out.

There's 3 guys that seem to have the buzzards circling their offices.

Leslie Frazier- some have accused of various Vikes of quitting during the blow-out loss to the Saints. That may bode ill for Leslie, whose team has under-achieved to very low expectations.

Steve Spagnoulo- St Lou. the Rams lost to the Bengals at home Sunday. The tom-toms are beating out a message that Spags and boy wonder OC Josh McDaniel may go in a river city purge.

Talks of guys laying down and team unrest are drifting out from Tampa, too. (not Tampa 2) Raheem Morris looked like he was building a solid program down there. The team let experienced vets go & the kids are not showing the way. Things may have gotten away from Raheem and his job may go with it.

You'd think the loser in the NFC East would be in trouble, but it's hard to say at this juncture.

How about fat Rex & the Jets? I'd like to see him get canned just on general principals.

Anybody I missed?

MJZiggy
12-19-2011, 09:10 PM
KY, I misread one word of your post as orifices. Kinda gives it a whole new twist, doesn't it?

KYPack
12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah, yer twisted all right.

As long as it's a buzzard circling Rex Ryan's orifice, I'm good.

Ya know, I like Spags, Frazier (sorta), & Raheem Morris. it's too bad at least a couple of 'em will get blowed up.

Freak Out
12-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Rex has to be gone after last nights debacle right? Sanchez as well....horrible stuff.

Patler
12-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Smith is a special case, he's headed to the play-offs, but ill health has taken many an NFL coach out.

There's 3 guys that seem to have the buzzards circling their offices.

Leslie Frazier- some have accused of various Vikes of quitting during the blow-out loss to the Saints. That may bode ill for Leslie, whose team has under-achieved to very low expectations.

Steve Spagnoulo- St Lou. the Rams lost to the Bengals at home Sunday. The tom-toms are beating out a message that Spags and boy wonder OC Josh McDaniel may go in a river city purge.

Talks of guys laying down and team unrest are drifting out from Tampa, too. (not Tampa 2) Raheem Morris looked like he was building a solid program down there. The team let experienced vets go & the kids are not showing the way. Things may have gotten away from Raheem and his job may go with it.

You'd think the loser in the NFC East would be in trouble, but it's hard to say at this juncture.

How about fat Rex & the Jets? I'd like to see him get canned just on general principals.

Anybody I missed?

Another team that looks like it has folded its tent......the Lions.
Maybe Schwartz will get a pass due to 2011, but he has to be feeling some heat for a team that performed very poorly for 3/4 of the season, then may have quit for the last 1/4. Bad records are tolerated when a team shows up every weekend. When they don't, coaching has to be questioned.

Joemailman
12-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Another team that looks like it has folded its tent......the Lions.
Maybe Schwartz will get a pass due to 2011, but he has to be feeling some heat for a team that performed very poorly for 3/4 of the season, then may have quit for the last 1/4. Bad records are tolerated when a team shows up every weekend. When they don't, coaching has to be questioned.

That quote from KYPACK was from last year. I've bumped the thread on this subject started this year if you're interested.

Patler
12-18-2012, 12:42 PM
That quote from KYPACK was from last year. I've bumped the thread on this subject started this year if you're interested.

and so it was!

Freak Out
12-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Whoops! Leave it to me to bump the old hotseat thread. :)

woodbuck27
12-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Whoops! Leave it to me to bump the old hotseat thread. :)

Do you still have a TV after that MNF game result last night? :pc:

I don't often curse but the ending of that game got me there. I felt so sorry for Rex Ryan. His expletive exiting the field and captured on camera was obviuos.

It was a word beginning with the letter 'F' and it wasn't....... Francine.

Freak Out
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Do you still have a TV after that MNF game result last night? :pc:

I don't often curse but the ending of that game got me there. I felt so sorry for Rex Ryan. His expletive exiting the field and captured on camera was obviuos.

It was a word beginning with the letter 'F' and it wasn't....... Francine.

No ESPN in my house.