PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy: Did you feel the ground shake?

HowardRoark
08-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Earthquake in DC?

sheepshead
08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Felt as far away as Marthas Vineyard. I heard Barry had to take a stroke.

SkinBasket
08-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Wife felt it in Cincinnati. Not in a tall building, but apparently it moved plenty enough for her.

I didn't notice anything, but I do have a lot of gas today.

red
08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
they felt it from atlanta to toronto

pretty big area

SkinBasket
08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Image from the damage to a DC area CVS pharmacy:
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/quake-shot.jpg
OH! THE HUMANITY!

The White House and Pentagon also evacuated under threat of falling shampoo bottles. I remember some criticizing Bush when he took to the sky in AF1 when airplanes were hurtling into buildings and I thought those people were being ridiculous, so considering the similar seriousness of the damage wrought today, I'll refrain from calling this administration cowardly.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/earthquake-hits-east-coast-trembling-felt-in-d-c-and-new-york/

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I felt it in MD. There is a lesson to be learned here.

sheepshead
08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Found this: Breaking News: it's just been established by the administration that the DC earthquake occurred on a rare and obscure faultline, apparently known as "Bush's Fault".

mraynrand
08-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Ziggy: Did you feel the ground shake? Not from the earthquake, but maybe when she had some conservative inside her, as bobble suggested.

mraynrand
08-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Found this: Breaking News: it's just been established by the administration that the DC earthquake occurred on a rare and obscure faultline, apparently known as "Bush's Fault".

That's pretty good

mraynrand
08-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Image from the damage to a DC area CVS pharmacy:
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/quake-shot.jpg
OH! THE HUMANITY!

The White House and Pentagon also evacuated under threat of falling shampoo bottles. I remember some criticizing Bush when he took to the sky in AF1 when airplanes were hurtling into buildings and I thought those people were being ridiculous, so considering the similar seriousness of the damage wrought today, I'll refrain from calling this administration cowardly.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/earthquake-hits-east-coast-trembling-felt-in-d-c-and-new-york/

If only flash mobs were so tidy

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Wife felt it in Cincinnati. Not in a tall building, but apparently it moved plenty enough for her.

The first time she felt the earth move since she's been with you, no doubt

SkinBasket
08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
The first time she felt the earth move since she's been with you, no doubt

*sigh* Someone already used that joke in this thread.

sheepshead
08-24-2011, 09:51 AM
to your point skin: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/08/23/post-quake-west-coast-teases-east-on-social-networks/

SkinBasket
08-24-2011, 10:28 AM
All the more laughable for some were the images of people fleeing buildings—the exact opposite of what you’re supposed to do in a quake.

Jesus, this administration can't even get this shit right. Too bad some buildings didn't reduce our federal workforce.

easy cheesy
08-25-2011, 02:43 AM
What a yawn.... JHC.... try living on the "Left" coast.... for a myriad of reasons.... 5.8...LOL! Ooooh.... Boxes of Captain Crunch on the floor... OHHHH MYYYYYYY!!!!

MJZiggy
08-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Yes, we felt it. I was in a meeting and at first thought it was a freight train or something and then it got stronger and we then figured out it was an earthquake. The idiot inside me thought, "hey, cool!" Then the building kind of shuddered and it went away. Somewhere in there, it completely screwed up my phone though. I'm now shopping for a used one until I'm eligible for a new one in January. Since I don't want to go through Partial's crap and dig through the smartphone thread, anyone got suggestions for a phone that can tide me over until January? Must take the standard charger 'cause I'm not getting all new accessories again.

easy cheesy
08-26-2011, 01:02 AM
All of my joking aside, I'm very concerned about our East Coaster's and Hurricane Irene... stay safe....

MJZiggy
08-26-2011, 06:56 AM
I lived in Florida for years. The hurricane is nothing. It will rain. Probably be windy too, but once it hits shore, it settles down pretty quickly.

retailguy
08-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Yes, we felt it. I was in a meeting and at first thought it was a freight train or something and then it got stronger and we then figured out it was an earthquake. The idiot inside me thought, "hey, cool!" Then the building kind of shuddered and it went away. Somewhere in there, it completely screwed up my phone though. I'm now shopping for a used one until I'm eligible for a new one in January. Since I don't want to go through Partial's crap and dig through the smartphone thread, anyone got suggestions for a phone that can tide me over until January? Must take the standard charger 'cause I'm not getting all new accessories again.

Have you taken it somewhere to be looked at first? My wife dumped a bottle of water over hers (don't ask) and I got it fixed for $60.

retailguy
08-26-2011, 08:00 AM
All of my joking aside, I'm very concerned about our East Coaster's and Hurricane Irene... stay safe....

So, lemme get this straight. You "yawn" on a 5.8 earthquake, and are "concerned" about some wind and rain? I guess this proves it is all what you grew up with. I had T-storms growing up in the midwest, followed by 20 years of earthquake experience in Cal/Wa, and now live in the deep south with the hurricane threat.

I guess that's one way to become weather "fearless". ;)

easy cheesy
08-26-2011, 12:22 PM
So, lemme get this straight. You "yawn" on a 5.8 earthquake, and are "concerned" about some wind and rain? I guess this proves it is all what you grew up with. I had T-storms growing up in the midwest, followed by 20 years of earthquake experience in Cal/Wa, and now live in the deep south with the hurricane threat.

I guess that's one way to become weather "fearless". ;)

Yeah... I yawned... it was mostly in jest however. We had the 6.8 Nisqually Earthquake here in 2001, our worst in 52 years, which thankfully yielded no deaths as I recall, many injuries but no deaths, still it was a doozy. Close to what some remember as the World Series Earthquake, Loma Prieta in 1989 which was 6.9 and unfortunately did result in loss of life.

Hope Irene is just wind and rain. Hurricanes make me a little jittery... more than the thought of an earthquake....but you are absolutely correct... it's all what you grew up with. :tup:

MJZiggy
08-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Have you taken it somewhere to be looked at first? My wife dumped a bottle of water over hers (don't ask) and I got it fixed for $60.

I took it into the store and they tried resetting it and then the guy said it would need to be replaced. The good news is that I asked the network administrator at work which version of the operating system I should look for and he said they have spare phones that people have replaced, so I had a blackberry before the end of the day.

Yeah... I yawned... it was mostly in jest however. We had the 6.8 Nisqually Earthquake here in 2001, our worst in 52 years, which thankfully yielded no deaths as I recall, many injuries but no deaths, still it was a doozy. Close to what some remember as the World Series Earthquake, Loma Prieta in 1989 which was 6.9 and unfortunately did result in loss of life.

Hope Irene is just wind and rain. Hurricanes make me a little jittery... more than the thought of an earthquake....but you are absolutely correct... it's all what you grew up with. :tup:

Loma Prieta actually changed building design standards for new construction.

Brando19
08-26-2011, 10:32 PM
We felt it here in WV. Our cat ran under the bed and wouldn't come out for two hours.

HowardRoark
08-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Or crocodiles. If I heard there was one within 10 miles of me I would lock the doors and start eating from my stash of baked beans; and I suppose someone in Florida would do the same with even the threat of an 1/8 of an inch of snow.

MJZiggy
08-26-2011, 10:44 PM
We used to have alligators in the pond across the street from the house. You just kept tabs on the dog. You could hear them calling during mating season. The nice man from the state came and took him away somewhere. When you don't know snow, you don't know what there is to be afraid of. When I lived in FL, they drove like idiots even in the rain. Around here they panic over a dusting.

mraynrand
08-26-2011, 10:58 PM
We used to have alligators in the pond across the street from the house. You just kept tabs on the dog. You could hear them calling during mating season. The nice man from the state came and took him away somewhere.

The state took your dog?

MJZiggy
08-26-2011, 11:02 PM
No, silly. My dogs are girls. The state took the gator and helped him to find a new home that had lady gators in it.

HowardRoark
08-27-2011, 12:22 AM
No, silly. My dogs are girls. The state took the gator and helped him to find a new home that had lady gators in it.

Finally the government does something right.

Iron Mike
08-27-2011, 04:24 AM
http://www.reallyfunnypictures.co.uk/animals/pics/31.01.09/leaping-alligator.jpg

Hello, ladies!!!!!

mraynrand
08-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Conjugal visits in prison? OK, I DO IT!!!

http://newsthatsfittoprint.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/samir.jpg

MJZiggy
08-27-2011, 10:44 AM
If you want to consider the everglades a prison, that's your prerogative, I suppose...but if you're thinking conjugal visits during a discussion of alligator removal, perhaps it's time to buy some flowers for Mrsaynrand....