PDA

View Full Version : Cobb injured

mmmdk
08-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Packers rookie WR/KR Randall Cobb could end up missing the season opener due the knee injuries sustained in last week's preseason game.

According to AOL.SportingNews.com

That's tough!

VermontPackFan
08-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Ouch, not a good start for the rookie. Thankfully its a position of strength for us at this moment in time...

Tony Oday
08-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Cut him creaking Harrell wannabe!

bobblehead
08-23-2011, 07:27 PM
West is doing his best not to smile.

KYPack
08-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Cobb should not return kick-offs. He's such a crazy man, he always puts himself in jeopardy on KR's. Put him in the slot an have him return punts, only please.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't get excited about injuries until they are season-long

the suck-ass thing about football is it one injury after another.

vince
08-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Cobb should not return kick-offs. He's such a crazy man, he always puts himself in jeopardy on KR's. Put him in the slot an have him return punts, only please.
It's looking like Alex Green is going to be the kick returner, as long as he can catch the ball back there. They wanted that from the beginning, but when Cobb filled in for him the first preseason game, he flashed his ability and I think they got a little greedy by deciding to keep him back after Green missed a week with the quad injury.

KYPack
08-23-2011, 09:18 PM
It's looking like Alex Green is going to be the kick returner, as long as he can catch the ball back there. They wanted that from the beginning, but when Cobb filled in for him the first preseason game, he flashed his ability and I think they got a little greedy by deciding to keep him back after Green missed a week with the quad injury.

The UK Cats site says that JSO states Cobb won't return kick-offs for the Pack anymore this season. I couldn't find it in JSO, though.

Several posters on the UK site said the same thing I did. All UK fans know that Cobb will knock himself out of a game/season on KR's. He did it last season. He hurt himself on a KR and returned later in the game. Returned a kick-off and got carried off again. This kid doesn't have balls, he's got shot-puts down there. You really have to protect him against himself.

Upnorth
08-24-2011, 08:54 AM
This will sound stupid, but this minor injury may help the team. If Cobb does not play the next two preseason games, West will have more opportunity to make the team. Get rid off one FB, insert west, I think that's an upgrade.

Cheesehead Craig
08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
This will sound stupid, but this minor injury may help the team. If Cobb does not play the next two preseason games, West will have more opportunity to make the team. Get rid off one FB, insert west, I think that's an upgrade.

Aren't we already down to 2 FBs because we're keeping like 8 TEs or something like that?

Brandon494
08-24-2011, 09:21 AM
West > Crabtree

mraynrand
08-24-2011, 09:50 AM
West > Crabtree

As a receiver I agree, but they're not fulfilling the same roles. You have to take into account special teams and blocking - especially if Crabtree will be filling in for a released Quinn Johnson.

Brandon494
08-24-2011, 10:07 AM
I do take that in account, Ryan Taylor and DJ Williams make Crabtree expendable. TT did not draft them to replace a top talent like Finley, it was to replace Crabtree who is JAG.

Smidgeon
08-24-2011, 11:18 AM

West (or whomever the sixth WR would be) wouldn't see the field absent an injury. All the FBs do depending on opponent and designed attack. How would that be an upgrade?

Upnorth
08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
If we can carry 6 decent WR's you can rotate them and reduce the infamous lower body injury, tired legs = easier to injure. Also changing out the WR package will change secondary coverage, which might lead to a breakdown on coverage. The Blocking done by the full backs was not effective last year (except for BJ), and we have a few ST gunners so losing one FB won't hurt.

One question on West, does he block? I always like WR's who don't mind throwing a block when needed.

rbaloha1
08-24-2011, 11:30 AM

The wise move is for West to return kicks. Unsure about Green since he did not return kicks at Hawaii. However, Green showed good burst and acceleration returning kicks.

Smidgeon
08-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I just don't see how even a fresh West would be more of a weapon than a tired Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, or Cobb. These are professional athletes who are trained to run hard for an entire game. I doubt there are many fatigue injuries with WRs. And West isn't even close to roughly equivalent. He offers no competetive advantage (at this point) and opposing D-Coordinators would love it if any of the first five WRs was taken out of the game in favor of West. Just not seeing it.

Fritz
08-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Look at it from this perspective: would you rather face a team that picked up a Tom Crabtree once he was cut in GB, or a team that picked up a Chastin West after he was cut in GB? Do you really want to let a prospective starting-caliber WR go to another team so you can keep a TE that blocks well? Especially if you think you've got a guy who can block like Crabtree (that would be Ryan Taylor).

vince
08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
It'll be interesting. Two weeks yet before cut-downs and much can change. Cardia Jackson was the man in today's practice with two acrobatic INT's against Rodgers and Harrell and a knockdown against Flynn. Looking forward to Friday again.

Smidgeon
08-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Look at it from this perspective: would you rather face a team that picked up a Tom Crabtree once he was cut in GB, or a team that picked up a Chastin West after he was cut in GB? Do you really want to let a prospective starting-caliber WR go to another team so you can keep a TE that blocks well? Especially if you think you've got a guy who can block like Crabtree (that would be Ryan Taylor).

At this point, I'm not convinced West is starting caliber. Maybe I'm wrong. And I'll admit it if he is. But it's been practice and playing against backups so far.

mraynrand
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Ryan Taylor and DJ Williams make Crabtree expendable. That might be true. I don't know about relative worth on special teams. But I would say this - unless Crabtree is some sort of Teams God, I'd rather have Taylor and Williams. But the point you raised is whether keeping West would drive Crabtree off the team. Seem like Taylor and Williams are more likely to do that, no?

mraynrand
08-24-2011, 07:17 PM
At this point, I'm not convinced West is starting caliber. Maybe I'm wrong. And I'll admit it if he is. But it's been practice and playing against backups so far.

People were making the Driver comparison. At this point in his career, Driver wasn't starting caliber either.

Brandon494
08-25-2011, 02:02 AM
That might be true. I don't know about relative worth on special teams. But I would say this - unless Crabtree is some sort of Teams God, I'd rather have Taylor and Williams. But the point you raised is whether keeping West would drive Crabtree off the team. Seem like Taylor and Williams are more likely to do that, no?

I said West over Crabtree because IMO both players are on the bubble. I think Taylor and Williams are pretty much locks to make the team. I just think it would make more sense to carry 6 WR and 4 TEs then 5 and 5 for the type of offense we play.

retailguy
08-25-2011, 08:51 AM
I said West over Crabtree because IMO both players are on the bubble. I think Taylor and Williams are pretty much locks to make the team. I just think it would make more sense to carry 6 WR and 4 TEs then 5 and 5 for the type of offense we play.

Does west play ST? Because Crabtree is pretty good at that. On that basis, I think he's got the edge right now.

Brandon494
08-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Both Taylor and Williams have been getting work with the #1 ST units as well as DJ Smith. Crabtree is just like Swain, only reason they are on the team is because they are good special team players but neither show any potential at their position.