PDA

View Full Version : Sreve Jobs Resigns As Apple CEO

Joemailman
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/24/us-apple-idUSTRE77N82K20110824

Effective immediately. Apple stock is down 5% in after hours trading.

o the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

mraynrand
08-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Good Luck, Sreve!

Little Whiskey
08-24-2011, 09:27 PM
no wonder partial left. he was getting ready to take over apple. maybe his real name is tim cook.

easy cheesy
08-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Good Luck, Sreve!

Sreve Ballesteros is in our prayers....LOL .... IT'S A GOLF JOKE PEOPLE AS WELL AS THE "APPLE" OF OUR EYE....trying to make fun of a fucked situation, lame attempt at humor... FORE...."Fore" is another word for "ahead" (think of a ship's fore and aft). Yelling "fore" is simply a shorter way to yell "watch out ahead" (or "watch out before"). It allows golfers to be forewarned, in other words. )

and oh... by the way... FUCK CANCER...

retailguy
08-25-2011, 10:12 AM
no wonder partial left. he was getting ready to take over apple. maybe his real name is tim cook.

Today, I picture him in the bomb shelter with provisions waiting it out. This is why I never "guarantee" anything related to the market. Will it be a permanent setback? No way to know, however, this is NOT the first time that Jobs resigned. The last time did not go so well for Apple.

red
08-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Today, I picture him in the bomb shelter with provisions waiting it out. This is why I never "guarantee" anything related to the market. Will it be a permanent setback? No way to know, however, this is NOT the first time that Jobs resigned. The last time did not go so well for Apple.

i'm guessing he hung himself as soon as the rumors went out. that or he's out shooting up apple stores

Patler
08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Everyone knew it was coming. The market pretty much took in in stride because most who have invested in AAPL have known this would happen very soon. Apple has been transitioning to it fora while, leaving the exact date up to Jobs. He remains the Chairman, I expect until he is no longer with us. That might be when a stronger market reaction occurs.

retailguy
08-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Everyone knew it was coming. The market pretty much took in in stride because most who have invested in AAPL have known this would happen very soon. Apple has been transitioning to it fora while, leaving the exact date up to Jobs. He remains the Chairman, I expect until he is no longer with us. That might be when a stronger market reaction occurs.

I agree with this. You don't have to be a doctor to see something is wrong. Seriously wrong. Even before the media reports came out. Apple has been planning for his demise, as they should be. But, didn't they plan last time too? He didn't just vanish one day. Yes, he remains chairman, and certainly will have that role as long as he is alive. But there won't be a comeback this time. He's too sick for that.

They have a good product line, and hopefully a good CEO to step in. I don't know, I was just commenting on the past, and that the only certainty in the market, is that there is NO certainty. Just ask Sears, Montgomery Wards, lehman Brothers, Enron, Worldcom, Conseco. Those are recent and/or just off the top of my head. there are hundreds more "sure things" no longer with us, as I'm sure you and most of the rest of us know.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM

.........yeah, you heard me right. I said I want to short 10 million shares of APPL.

Joemailman
08-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Greatest comeback ever?

http://www.pophistorydig.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/1985-newsweek-cvr280.jpghttp://cjrarchive.org/img/posts/Newsweek_old_456.jpg

Patler
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I agree with this. You don't have to be a doctor to see something is wrong. Seriously wrong. Even before the media reports came out. Apple has been planning for his demise, as they should be. But, didn't they plan last time too? He didn't just vanish one day. Yes, he remains chairman, and certainly will have that role as long as he is alive. But there won't be a comeback this time. He's too sick for that.

They have a good product line, and hopefully a good CEO to step in. I don't know, I was just commenting on the past, and that the only certainty in the market, is that there is NO certainty. Just ask Sears, Montgomery Wards, lehman Brothers, Enron, Worldcom, Conseco. Those are recent and/or just off the top of my head. there are hundreds more "sure things" no longer with us, as I'm sure you and most of the rest of us know.

This has been in the works ever since his liver transplant two years ago. It was common knowledge that his health was problematic for 6 or 7 years. He has been on a medical leave of absence for all of 2011. I think his departure as CEO has been factored in by investors already, since he hasn't actually been doing the job for the better part of three quarters..

I agree that nothing is guaranteed. In fact I argued that exact thing with Partial, because while AAPL has done well for sometime, truth be told, the stock price has actually lagged the company's performance. In the long run, that is a bad sign. But AAPL should be fine for a while. Their products are strong, their markets are expanding and they have a huge amount of cash. It will take a few product failures to reverse their position Eventually that will happen again, just as it did to AAPL in the past. It wasn't that long ago that they appeared to be dead, or close to it.

The company is prepared to continue without Jobs. Investors have understood the inevitability of his situation, so there was no shock effect today. They are well positioned for their immediate future. The uncertainty will come when their next generation of products runs out, the last that Jobs will have directly influenced. It remains to be seen if there are successors to his understanding of what consumers will want. That is where Jobs will be missed, and the effect will be down the road.

On a side note, I believe the last time Jobs "left" he was forced out. I don't think it was well planned at all. He came back as a result of AAPL buying out the company Jobs started after AAPL,which had not done particularly well.

Little Whiskey
08-25-2011, 09:21 PM
The company is prepared to continue without Jobs.

isn't this what the gov't is trying to do? :)

easy cheesy
08-26-2011, 01:25 AM
isn't this what the gov't is trying to do? :)

Good point ...LOL... sidebar... graveyards are full of "indispensable" people.... (that's a shout out to all of my narcissistic personality disorder peeps..I knew a few)... God bless... I think that Paul Allen is on the same train...

Partial
08-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Tim Cook has been running the show for years anyway. I've been a huge advocate of Johnny Ive and belief that as long as he's there for industrial design, they'll continue to be bleeding edge there. I would have to think Apple has at least 5 years of dominance left. Surely they have the vision for the next 2-3 years mapped out, and I definitely think it will merge iOs and Mac OS into OS 11. iOs is such a great platform to develop for, it's so ridiculously easy, I would be ecstatic if this came to fruition.

Having said that, buy all of the AAPL you can right now. It's ridiculously under valued. The race to 600 is under way!

Now that iPhone 5 is basically confirmed on all US carriers, expect the suffocation of Android to begin. Non-nerds won't buy that garbage over a beautiful iPhone.

MJZiggy
09-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Tim Cook has been running the show for years anyway. I've been a huge advocate of Johnny Ive and belief that as long as he's there for industrial design, they'll continue to be bleeding edge there. I would have to think Apple has at least 5 years of dominance left. Surely they have the vision for the next 2-3 years mapped out, and I definitely think it will merge iOs and Mac OS into OS 11. iOs is such a great platform to develop for, it's so ridiculously easy, I would be ecstatic if this came to fruition.

Having said that, buy all of the AAPL you can right now. It's ridiculously under valued. The race to 600 is under way!

Now that iPhone 5 is basically confirmed on all US carriers, expect the suffocation of Android to begin. Non-nerds won't buy that garbage over a beautiful iPhone.

Last weekend, the guy at the Verizon store showed me an iPhone. I bought an HTC Thunderbolt.

retailguy
09-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Non-nerds won't buy that garbage over a beautiful iPhone.

Last weekend, the guy at the Verizon store showed me an iPhone. I bought an HTC Thunderbolt.

Hiya, nerd! I love unequivocal statements.

MJZiggy
09-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Hiya, nerd! I love unequivocal statements.

The HTC had a bigger, brighter screen, was thinner and was faster. I didn't realize until after I got it home, but it also has this cool bar on the back that flips out so that you can stand the phone up. I got it home and my kid thought I was cool. Extra bonus.

retailguy
09-01-2011, 08:02 PM
The HTC had a bigger, brighter screen, was thinner and was faster. I didn't realize until after I got it home, but it also has this cool bar on the back that flips out so that you can stand the phone up. I got it home and my kid thought I was cool. Extra bonus.

And, you're not tied to proprietary software, or automatically upgradeable operating systems. Nor are you stuck using third parties to open the phone for use on other networks. You can just root it and do whatever you want with it (after warranty expires of course).

I sincerely hope Android crushes the Iphone. My wife has an epic, she really likes it. It seems to do everything that the iphone will do, if anything is missing, it certainly couldn't be important.

I've still got an old blackberry, but it's free, so it isn't hard to love either!

MJZiggy
09-01-2011, 08:22 PM
If anything's missing, you can get it on the Android Market. This phone came with a flashlight that turns the camera flash on. The 8mpx camera. It also uses the same cord as every other device (except Apple devices...)

retailguy
09-01-2011, 08:57 PM
If anything's missing, you can get it on the Android Market. This phone came with a flashlight that turns the camera flash on. The 8mpx camera. It also uses the same cord as every other device (except Apple devices...)

I'm sure the iphone has more apps, but really, if you have the same app redone 12 different times, it is really 12 apps, or 1?

Like I said, everything she's wanted to do, there is an app for it. If not, I can root the phone and then there are more apps that it'll run. I, have so far, found zero reasons to root the phone.

It really is an awesome phone. I'm surprised. Usually I don't really like this crap, but this thing is nice. Not nice enough to give up my free blackberry, but you understand...

Partial
09-02-2011, 12:29 AM

Android market sucks... How many app stores are there for Android?? Amazon created there own because the Google one sucks so hard. Developers don't make any money there.

Big whoop, there are hundreds of flashlight apps for every platform. The 8mpx camera is okay, but without a doubt the general consensus is the iPhone 4's camera is the best in the biz still. Megapixels are completely irrelevant. It's the size of the sensor that matters.

The cord is annoying, I'll give you that, but who doesn't have an iPod/iPhone/iPad cable around anyway? This is hardly a big deal. Both plug into usb, one just uses micro or mini usb instead of the apple dock connector.

And, you're not tied to proprietary software, or automatically upgradeable operating systems. Nor are you stuck using third parties to open the phone for use on other networks. You can just root it and do whatever you want with it (after warranty expires of course).

I sincerely hope Android crushes the Iphone. My wife has an epic, she really likes it. It seems to do everything that the iphone will do, if anything is missing, it certainly couldn't be important.

I've still got an old blackberry, but it's free, so it isn't hard to love either!

How are you not tied to proprietary software with Android? You're tied to Android the same way you're tied to iOs. The only way around it in either system is to find a security hole and root/jailbreak it. One could argue it's open source, but where does that really get you? Unless you root the device, download the code, compile it, and install it yourself (or have someone build you a rom, but you're still rooting the device), it's meaningless. And is it really open source? They have yet to release the 9 month old source code for Honeycomb.

How is an Android phone any different from an iPhone in terms of being tied to a network? With a Sprint Android phone, it'll only work on Sprint. With a verzion Android phone, it'll only work on Verizon. With an Android phone on any GSM network, you can pop in a sim and use it on any gsm network. With an iPhone, you can pop in a sim and use it on any network. It's the exact same thing.

Epic is a nice phone. The AMOLED display is beautiful. The AMOLED and now the super AMOLED displays from Samsung are the only thing close to rivaling the iPhones screen. Both have pros and cons. Amoled has amazing black levels and a super clear picture, but the knock on it is outdoor viewing. They don't view well in sunlight. Apple is still using IPS panels (top of the line stuff) but I suspect they'll switch over to a new display technology next year.

It is not thinner. It is not faster. It does not have a better screen. You are absolutely wrong on all accounts.

The iPhone 4 is 29% thinner than the HTC thunderbolt. You are wrong. It's 9.3 mm to 13mm. In fact the thing I remember from the engadget, gizmodo and boy genius reviews of the Thunderbolt was that it was bulky and the build quality was lacking. The industrial design is also pretty old for HTC, it doesn't really follow their trends in the past year.

The HTC's screen is an outdated lcd upon launch. It has an 800x480 resolution. The iPhone 4 has the highest ppi of any display currently on a phone with it's 3.5" 960x640 display. Go and compare the two again. Factually, you are very, very, very wrong on this one. One is a leading edge display made by sharp. One is a two year old average lcd. So, the iPhone's screen is higher resolution, and an IPS panel. It's a much better display in clarity, viewing angle, etc. One could argue size and that's why Apple is going to making the next iPhone have a 4" screen, but will sacrifice some of the clarity as a result. 3.5" is too small in my opinion after using a spacious 4.3" screen, but I think 4" is just right. 4.3" is getting a little bit big.

Not only is iOs significantly faster than android (I could get into the merits of the OSes and design, but just trust me here, iOs is designed better), but the chips are much faster in the iPhone 4 too. iPhone 4 has a 1ghz A4 processor, built on an Cortex A8 processor and a PowerVR 535 processor. This is basically the same chip as Samsung's hummingbird, which absolutely spanks the Snapdragons that's in the HTC. Both the Snapdragon and A4 have essentially the same CPU, but the GPU on the iPhone absolutely crushes the Adreno 205 garbage in the snapdragons.

I like HTC, but you're not right about this one at all.

Zool
09-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Looks like you found the angry button Zig. Push it again and see what happens.

MJZiggy
09-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Looks like you found the angry button Zig. Push it again and see what happens.

You may be right. Too bad I physically compared the two side by side and chose the one that was nicer.

Patler
09-02-2011, 05:37 PM

I hate my HTC (you already know that), but I think I would hate an i-phone just as much.
I'm just not a smartphone sort of guy, I guess! :-(

MJZiggy
09-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Now I gave you three perfectly good uses for that thing!! Download Pandora and listen to Frank Sinatra all day. My HTC came with stock tracking software loaded. You can use your HTC to track your Apple stock...

Patler
09-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Now I gave you three perfectly good uses for that thing!! Download Pandora and listen to Frank Sinatra all day. My HTC came with stock tracking software loaded. You can use your HTC to track your Apple stock...

I do generally have a lot more than just APPL stock to keep track of! :lol: :lol:

However, since you brought it up....I do have a stock tracker app loaded on the dumb thing, and every time I have tried to use it I have either had no service, or service so slow that I got tired of waiting for it to load the stock quotes. It just added to my frustration! :-(

digitaldean
09-05-2011, 01:15 AM
The iPhone5 better have better reception quality otherwise it will be a substandard phone. Yes, there is much more you can do with it than just talk, but the call/reception quality needs improvement.

I'm a Sprint customer and am at least considering an iPhone if it comes out in Oct. But since I'm too cheap to pay more with all the data plan costs, I may end up not switching anyway. Still using my old Sanyo flip phone I got 6 years ago.

Partial
09-05-2011, 11:18 AM
The iPhone5 better have better reception quality otherwise it will be a substandard phone. Yes, there is much more you can do with it than just talk, but the call/reception quality needs improvement.

I'm a Sprint customer and am at least considering an iPhone if it comes out in Oct. But since I'm too cheap to pay more with all the data plan costs, I may end up not switching anyway. Still using my old Sanyo flip phone I got 6 years ago.

Meh, the whole grip of death thing is a myth. Apple did a series of tests with other founds and found the same thing to happens with them. The antenna system is going to be quite different anyway, so it will get rid of that perception. Last year consumer reports determined it was by far and away the best smart phone on the market, but they couldn't recommend it because of "reception issues". That's just ridiculous and a proven fallacy. 3rd party tech sites did similar comparisons and found similar findings to Apple.

iPhone 5 is going to be sexy if it's as thin as these chinese cases for it are. This thing is just outrageously, amazingly thin, nothing else will be even close (though Zig, who clearly doesn't believe in measurements, will think it's bulky lol). The pictures show that it is significantly thinner than an iPhone 4 and even slightly thinner at the thickest point of the tear drop then a current gen iPod touch (which is scary thin).

FWIW, it's 10% shorter, 4% narrower, and 63% thinner. The screen will be much higher res, higher quality panel, and much more beautiful while only 7% smaller than the Thunderbolt. The user experience will be immeasurably better on the iPhone 5.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/designspecs.png
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/IMG_1460-500x69.jpg
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/IMG_1480-500x63.jpg

MJZiggy
09-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Meh, the whole grip of death thing is a myth. Apple did a series of tests with other founds and found the same thing to happens with them. The antenna system is going to be quite different anyway, so it will get rid of that perception. Last year consumer reports determined it was by far and away the best smart phone on the market, but they couldn't recommend it because of "reception issues". That's just ridiculous and a proven fallacy. 3rd party tech sites did similar comparisons and found similar findings to Apple.

iPhone 5 is going to be sexy if it's as thin as these chinese cases for it are. This thing is just outrageously, amazingly thin, nothing else will be even close (though Zig, who clearly doesn't believe in measurements, will think it's bulky lol). The pictures show that it is significantly thinner than an iPhone 4 and even slightly thinner at the thickest point of the tear drop then a current gen iPod touch (which is scary thin).

FWIW, it's 10% shorter, 4% narrower, and 63% thinner. The screen will be much higher res, higher quality panel, and much more beautiful while only 7% smaller than the Thunderbolt. The user experience will be immeasurably better on the iPhone 5.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/designspecs.png
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/IMG_1460-500x69.jpg
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/IMG_1480-500x63.jpg

Sorry if I didn't pull out a tape measure in the store. I just put the two phones next to each other, opened a webpage on each and chose the better device. And by the way, I'm not sure you've noticed, but the iPhone 5 is not out yet. It wasn't one of my available options, which kinda makes your whole point moot.

digitaldean
09-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I realize iPhone 5 isn't out yet. Read on MacRumors and Mac Daily News that there was a possibility Sprint would announce an iPhone plan at same time Apple would announce iPhone 5.

Patler
09-05-2011, 11:56 AM

That is my biggest complaint about my HTC. It's a crappy TELEPHONE. Maybe its a wonderful, pocket-sized computer that can do all kinds of interesting things, but it isn't a very good TELEPHONE. Whether the device or service, it doesn't hold a candle to my old Motorola flip phone that was over 6 years old.

MJZiggy
09-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I realize iPhone 5 isn't out yet. Read on MacRumors and Mac Daily News that there was a possibility Sprint would announce an iPhone plan at same time Apple would announce iPhone 5.

My comment wasn't directed toward you, but toward the fool who's giving me iPhone5 measurements and telling me I shouldn't have bought the very cool phone that I did. The one that's better than the iPhone currently available to me at the moment.

MJZiggy
09-05-2011, 12:00 PM
That is my biggest complaint about my HTC. It's a crappy TELEPHONE. Maybe its a wonderful, pocket-sized computer that can do all kinds of interesting things, but it isn't a very good TELEPHONE. Whether the device or service, it doesn't hold a candle to my old Motorola flip phone that was over 6 years old.

Maybe you should exchange it. Mine works fine.

digitaldean
09-05-2011, 12:00 PM

A friend (and client of my freelance biz) loves his HTC and the Android apps, but it sucks battery power like crazy. I understand it's a microcomputer, but having it barely last a day seems counterproductive to me.

Partial
09-05-2011, 12:07 PM

You wouldn't have these same problems with an iPhone. It was designed with humans in mind.

Partial
09-05-2011, 12:08 PM
My comment wasn't directed toward you, but toward the fool who's giving me iPhone5 measurements and telling me I shouldn't have bought the very cool phone that I did. The one that's better than the iPhone currently available to me at the moment.

That's definitely not true according to all of the major tech and consumer blogs. You're misinformed. Keep defending your incorrect decision, though.

Partial
09-05-2011, 12:10 PM
A friend (and client of my freelance biz) loves his HTC and the Android apps, but it sucks battery power like crazy. I understand it's a microcomputer, but having it barely last a day seems counterproductive to me.

Yep, an inherit flaw of Android letting things run willy nilly in the background. Not to mention there are serious issues with malware, etc. It's a scary idea to have a massive denial of service attack from every web enabled Android phone. Who couldn't the fleet take down? Bad design paired with "open source" = extremely accessible to hackers.

Patler
09-05-2011, 12:38 PM
My wife bought an IPhone the same day I bought the my HTC. I'm not sure hers is appreciably better, which is why I have said I just don't like smartphones. They are over marketed for their capabilities and performance overall, and their basic functions as a telephone (to make and receive calls) are worse than their predecessors (like my flip phone).

I really just want a very good cell phone, one that makes and receives calls with good reception and good sound quality both directions. I am considering the Motorola Tundra, which seems to get top marks in making and receiving calls, with excellent noise suppression. It's camera sucks and it doesn't do much else very well, but all of that is unimportant to me if it works very well as a telephone.

MJZiggy
09-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Did Patler just use the word "sucks?"

Patler
09-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Did Patler just use the word "sucks?"

I'm exposed to younger generations too much! :lol: :lol:

3irty1
09-07-2011, 08:00 AM
My wife bought an IPhone the same day I bought the my HTC. I'm not sure hers is appreciably better, which is why I have said I just don't like smartphones. They are over marketed for their capabilities and performance overall, and their basic functions as a telephone (to make and receive calls) are worse than their predecessors (like my flip phone).

I really just want a very good cell phone, one that makes and receives calls with good reception and good sound quality both directions. I am considering the Motorola Tundra, which seems to get top marks in making and receiving calls, with excellent noise suppression. It's camera sucks and it doesn't do much else very well, but all of that is unimportant to me if it works very well as a telephone.

Even those of us who have no interest in switching to or paying for smart phones are being affected, when I got my current phone all of the options included a touch screen. I miss buttons. I miss having to charge my phone once a week. I miss not dialing people from my pocket. I'm thinking about getting a land line.

MJZiggy
09-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Even those of us who have no interest in switching to or paying for smart phones are being affected, when I got my current phone all of the options included a touch screen. I miss buttons. I miss having to charge my phone once a week. I miss not dialing people from my pocket. I'm thinking about getting a land line.

I could sell you mine. It still works fine and is a globally capable flip phone. With buttons.

red
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM
someone needs to check on partial. and take away his belt, shoelaces and the elastic out of his undies

steve jobs just died, he was 57

Freak Out
10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
RIP Stevo.

All that power and glory....and still dead at 57.

MJZiggy
10-05-2011, 07:38 PM
RIP Stevo.

I may wear a mock turtle to work tomorrow. Not sure I have a black one...

Joemailman
10-05-2011, 07:48 PM
To think I might still be listening to a Sony Walkman if it weren't for Jobs. RIP Steve.

Guiness
10-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Wow, truly an icon of our time.

I still remember someone showing up at Cub Scouts with an original Mac a month or so after it was released, and everyone gathering around it. He and Wozniak changed us all that day, and he did it again 15 years later.

retailguy
10-05-2011, 08:39 PM
sad day. cancer doesn't care who you are.

MJZiggy
10-05-2011, 09:04 PM
http://blog.ted.com/2011/10/05/remembering-steve-jobs/

mraynrand
10-05-2011, 09:33 PM
RIP Stevo.

I'm betting he opted for the Apple equivalent of LE.
http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/allposters/90/1807426890p.jpg
And since it uses iOs, he won't need tech support during lucid dreaming.
http://files.shroomery.org/files/10-43/813128632-tech_support.jpg

Partial
10-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Excellent read.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203476804576613732041665792.html

Little Whiskey
10-05-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8FnACj25xM

SkinBasket
10-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Dead nerds are still nerds. And dead.

sheepshead
10-06-2011, 07:44 AM
To the mopes sleeping on wall street. If our capitalist system didn't exist you never would have heard of the passing of an otherwise obscure 56 year old yesterday.

mraynrand
10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Godspeed, Sreve!

3irty1
10-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Excellent read.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203476804576613732041665792.html

"He was a historical figure on the scale of a Thomas Edison or Henry Ford..." That's how far I got.

Partial
10-06-2011, 09:32 AM
"He was a historical figure on the scale of a Thomas Edison or Henry Ford..." That's how far I got.

Greatest CEO in American history. Visionary who made computing what it is today. Reshaped several industries, changed the world. Without Steve, Windows would look and have the user experience of Linux. Steve changed the game with his vision.

mraynrand
10-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Greatest CEO in American history. Visionary who made computing what it is today. Reshaped several industries, changed the world. Without Steve, Windows would look and have the user experience of Linux. Steve changed the game with his vision.

Don't get carried away! I don't think comparing him with Ford or Edison was too over the top, but greatest CEO ever? Nah. How about Rockefeller and Sam Insull, or that bastard Marconi? Sam Insull is a great American story - his achievements and subsequent demise is a Randian tale and is exactly what the 'protestors' on Wall Street wish for all those 'corrupt capitalists.' To eat out their own innards. Sreve Jobs at least avoided that fate and demonization.

mraynrand
10-06-2011, 09:59 AM
BTW, saw this article with comment on his Flash op-ed.

Steve Jobs: Adobe's Flash "has major technical drawbacks"
By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | April 29, 2010, 8:30am PDT

In an open letter to, well, everyone, Apple tells the world what it thinks of the Flash platform. And it’s not pleasant reading for Adobe.

Let’s take a closer look at the letter:

I wanted to jot down some of our thoughts on Adobe’s Flash products so that customers and critics may better understand why we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads. Adobe has characterized our decision as being primarily business driven – they say we want to protect our App Store – but in reality it is based on technology issues. Adobe claims that we are a closed system, and that Flash is open, but in fact the opposite is true. Let me explain.

The “no Flash on the iPhone/iPad” has been a thorn in Apple’s side since the devices were launched. The idea of a web-enabled platform that doesn’t support the ubiquitous Flash platform is, at first blush, crazy. So crazy in fact that only Apple is bold and audacious enough to pull that kind of stunt. It’s no wonder that Apple CEO Steve Jobs wants to set the record straight.

First, there’s “Open”.

Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary. They are only available from Adobe, and Adobe has sole authority as to their future enhancement, pricing, etc. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system.

It’s an odd argument for Jobs to kick off on since Apple isn’t exactly the most open company out there - in fact, many would argue that it’s one of the most closed. But, Jobs is right. Flash is closed and 100% proprietary. Period. Just because it’s everywhere on the internet doesn’t make it “open.”

Apple has many proprietary products too. Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards. Apple’s mobile devices all ship with high performance, low power implementations of these open standards. HTML5, the new web standard that has been adopted by Apple, Google and many others, lets web developers create advanced graphics, typography, animations and transitions without relying on third party browser plug-ins (like Flash). HTML5 is completely open and controlled by a standards committee, of which Apple is a member.

Apple even creates open standards for the web. For example, Apple began with a small open source project and created WebKit, a complete open-source HTML5 rendering engine that is the heart of the Safari web browser used in all our products. WebKit has been widely adopted. Google uses it for Android’s browser, Palm uses it, Nokia uses it, and RIM (Blackberry) has announced they will use it too. Almost every smartphone web browser other than Microsoft’s uses WebKit. By making its WebKit technology open, Apple has set the standard for mobile web browsers.

Ahh, interesting. So Apple wants to replace the closed, proprietary Flash platform by pushing WebKit’s HTML5 rendering engine. I’m no fan of the Safari browser but I am a big fan of WebKit, and the capability that it contains does, in many ways, make Flash not obsolete as much as unnecessary.

Second, there’s the “full web”.

Adobe has repeatedly said that Apple mobile devices cannot access “the full web” because 75% of video on the web is in Flash. What they don’t say is that almost all this video is also available in a more modern format, H.264, and viewable on iPhones, iPods and iPads. YouTube, with an estimated 40% of the web’s video, shines in an app bundled on all Apple mobile devices, with the iPad offering perhaps the best YouTube discovery and viewing experience ever. Add to this video from Vimeo, Netflix, Facebook, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, ESPN, NPR, Time, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Sports Illustrated, People, National Geographic, and many, many others. iPhone, iPod and iPad users aren’t missing much video.

It’s important to remember that this “Flash is required for a full web experience” is a situation foisted on both the tech industry and users by Adobe. Flash was an important part in the “rich web” experience, but it has to now be asked whether it’s still required or whether Adobe is merely trying to remain relevant by pushing an outdated platform onto developers and end users.

Another Adobe claim is that Apple devices cannot play Flash games. This is true. Fortunately, there are over 50,000 games and entertainment titles on the App Store, and many of them are free. There are more games and entertainment titles available for iPhone, iPod and iPad than for any other platform in the world.

After the whole “open” bit a few paragraphs ago, it’s a little odd to see Jobs shift gears here and start whoring his own “closed” and “100% proprietary” platform. Maybe if Apple is so committed to gaming maybe it’s time to see a way to port the iPhone/iPad games platform to the web.

Or online gamers can stick with Flash … maybe casual online gaming is Adobe’s only refuge for this aging platform?

Third, there’s reliability, security and performance.

Symantec recently highlighted Flash for having one of the worst security records in 2009. We also know first hand that Flash is the number one reason Macs crash. We have been working with Adobe to fix these problems, but they have persisted for several years now. We don’t want to reduce the reliability and security of our iPhones, iPods and iPads by adding Flash.

In addition, Flash has not performed well on mobile devices. We have routinely asked Adobe to show us Flash performing well on a mobile device, any mobile device, for a few years now. We have never seen it. Adobe publicly said that Flash would ship on a smartphone in early 2009, then the second half of 2009, then the first half of 2010, and now they say the second half of 2010. We think it will eventually ship, but we’re glad we didn’t hold our breath. Who knows how it will perform?

Again, gotta agree with Jobs on this one. When it comes to security and performance (in particular, security), the Flash platform is a complete and utter mess. It’s interesting to hear Jobs not only say that Macs crash, but points the finger of blame squarely at Adobe and it’s wretched Flash platform.

Fifth, there’s Touch.

Flash was designed for PCs using mice, not for touch screens using fingers. For example, many Flash websites rely on “rollovers”, which pop up menus or other elements when the mouse arrow hovers over a specific spot. Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface doesn’t use a mouse, and there is no concept of a rollover. Most Flash websites will need to be rewritten to support touch-based devices. If developers need to rewrite their Flash websites, why not use modern technologies like HTML5, CSS and JavaScript?

Even if iPhones, iPods and iPads ran Flash, it would not solve the problem that most Flash websites need to be rewritten to support touch-based devices.

Not only is Jobs right on the mark again, he’s picked up on another of my Flash peeves … it allows people with no clue how to create user interfaces to go and create the most horrid, tortuous, painful navigation systems imaginable. Systems that not only wouldn’t work well on devices such as the iPhone or iPad, but which quite frankly are execrable on desktops and notebooks too.

Sixth, the most important reason.

Besides the fact that Flash is closed and proprietary, has major technical drawbacks, and doesn’t support touch based devices, there is an even more important reason we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads. We have discussed the downsides of using Flash to play video and interactive content from websites, but Adobe also wants developers to adopt Flash to create apps that run on our mobile devices.

We know from painful experience that letting a third party layer of software come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in sub-standard apps and hinders the enhancement and progress of the platform. If developers grow dependent on third party development libraries and tools, they can only take advantage of platform enhancements if and when the third party chooses to adopt the new features. We cannot be at the mercy of a third party deciding if and when they will make our enhancements available to our developers.

This is the “we don’t want your sloppy code to infect out new platforms” speech. If you’re a developer, and you want to use Flash to create apps, then it sucks. But remember, it was Adobe who made the promise of “easy iPhone apps” to you, not Apple.

Flash is a cross platform development tool. It is not Adobe’s goal to help developers write the best iPhone, iPod and iPad apps. It is their goal to help developers write cross platform apps. And Adobe has been painfully slow to adopt enhancements to Apple’s platforms. For example, although Mac OS X has been shipping for almost 10 years now, Adobe just adopted it fully (Cocoa) two weeks ago when they shipped CS5. Adobe was the last major third party developer to fully adopt Mac OS X.

mraynrand
10-06-2011, 10:00 AM
more.....

Jobs delivers a few more punches to the body.

Conclusions.

Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice. Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards – all areas where Flash falls short. The avalanche of media outlets offering their content for Apple’s mobile devices demonstrates that Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content. And the 200,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games. New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too).

Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.

The conclusion is a final scathing assault on Adobe. Not only does it paint Flash as ultimately a FAIL on mobile devices, but also as unnecessary and that maybe it’s time Adobe moved on to pastures new.

Thoughts?

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily e-mail newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

3irty1
10-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Greatest CEO in American history.

Clearly you said this without thinking. Jobs is top 10. Of this decade and the decade before.

3irty1
10-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Don't get carried away! I don't think comparing him with Ford or Edison was too over the top, but greatest CEO ever? Nah. How about Rockefeller and Sam Insull, or that bastard Marconi? Sam Insull is a great American story - his achievements and subsequent demise is a Randian tale and is exactly what the 'protestors' on Wall Street wish for all those 'corrupt capitalists.' To eat out their own innards. Sreve Jobs at least avoided that fate and demonization.

How is that not over the top? Walt Disney might not be over the top, but edison and ford?

mraynrand
10-06-2011, 10:41 AM
How is that not over the top? Walt Disney might not be over the top, but edison and ford?

Jobs revolutionized the way we access computers, music, and phone service. That's pretty significant. Maybe Edison goes to far - that guy was unreal. His inventive creativity knew no bounds. I'll concede that one. But Ford? The innovation seems similar. Ford didn't make the car, he changed how it was made to make it more accessible to all. Changed business model in some ways to the good of his workers in other ways, kinda nutty. Similar to Jobs it seems. Disney was entertainment only.

Partial
10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
"If you use a computer or smartphone today, it is either one he created, or an imitation of his genius." - Gizmodo

"He changed the way movies are made, the way music is sold, the way stories are told, the very way we interact with the world around us. He helped us work, and gave us new ways to play. He was a myth made man." - Gizmodo

Great read.

http://gizmodo.com/5838847/steve-jobs-is-dead

3irty1
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Jobs revolutionized the way we access computers, music, and phone service. That's pretty significant. Maybe Edison goes to far - that guy was unreal. His inventive creativity knew no bounds. I'll concede that one. But Ford? The innovation seems similar. Ford didn't make the car, he changed how it was made to make it more accessible to all. Changed business model in some ways to the good of his workers in other ways, kinda nutty. Similar to Jobs it seems. Disney was entertainment only.

Yes Jobs created a mass market for PC's, GUI's, and a bunch of entertainment stuff that nobody needs.

Henry Ford created the mass market itself by his invention of the assembly line. That coupled with numerous landmark business innovations. Plus you want to compare the mass marketing of cars to the mass marketing of mp3 players? Jobs was a much nicer guy but he never had a chance at being the historical figure that Ford is.

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Fuck you Steve Jobs, you made humans slaves to technology.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Jobs < Gates

I've been hearing people today comparing Jobs to Thomas Edison. WEll, maybe ten years from now I will see it.

HowardRoark
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Is he Gutenberg or Ford?

Zool
10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Is he Gutenberg or Ford?

I'm sticking with Guttenberg. Seems an apt comparison to me.

http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/steveguttenberg001-tm.jpg

channtheman
10-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Jobs battle with cancer was similar to Hitler a-- gets shot.

channtheman
10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I just noticed the typo in the thread title. How fucking hilarious that we don't even spell his name right in what has now become a remembrance topic for him? :lol:

Upnorth
10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
With all do respect to a great CEO, he was very innovative and had a great vision, but top 10, hell even top 100 in history? No. But he was great.

Partial
10-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes Jobs created a mass market for PC's, GUI's, and a bunch of entertainment stuff that nobody needs.

Henry Ford created the mass market itself by his invention of the assembly line. That coupled with numerous landmark business innovations. Plus you want to compare the mass marketing of cars to the mass marketing of mp3 players? Jobs was a much nicer guy but he never had a chance at being the historical figure that Ford is.

Jobs is probably not a nicer guy. He's very personable outside the office but ruthless in it. Jobs revolutionized computers. For what most people do today, a computer is far more essential than a car.

He took a company from the no where when the competition was fierce and made them the biggest in the world. Had Jobs stayed the the entire time, how big would they be? Microsoft had all the money in the world and the platform to dominate the consumer electronic space. Michael Dell said he'd shut down Apple. They were the laughing stock. Well, who's laughing now? Ballmer is considered completely inadequate, and Michael Dells company is worthless compared to Apple.

No one in the world can shape a market like Jobs. An Exampkle: He didn't even do any market research for the iPad because he doesn't believe that a consumer should have to know what they want. You know what? He was absolutely right.

Someone else would have created the car if not for Henry Ford. Would anyone else have come up with computing design the way that Steve has? The evidence points to no since everyone copies exactly what his company does. There has been very little innovation in user experience that Apple hasn't constructed. Meanwhile, Ford makes decent cars but certainly are not market leaders and are not followed by everyone else.

MJZiggy
10-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Good post, P, but to be fair, Ford didn't just invent the car. He invented the assembly line model of manufacturing. Think about that for a second as to how it applies to this discussion. No. Wait. Think about it. Really.

mraynrand
10-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Good post, P, but to be fair, Ford didn't just invent the car. He invented the assembly line model of manufacturing. Think about that for a second as to how it applies to this discussion. No. Wait. Think about it. Really.

Ford didn't invent the car

MJZiggy
10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Ford didn't invent the car

Wikipedia says he did :P (Of course you can always believe everything you read on the internet, right?)

Little Whiskey
10-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Steve Jobs couldn't hold Benjamin Henry's or John Browning's jocks.

retailguy
10-07-2011, 08:18 AM

This is typical partial MJ. Overstate everything you believe in, understate everything you don't. Was Jobs a good guy? You bet. Was he the next coming of Christ? No. But when we eulogize we always overstate. Nothing wrong with that for most people...

mraynrand
10-07-2011, 09:37 AM
This is typical partial MJ. Overstate everything you believe in, understate everything you don't. Was Jobs a good guy? You bet. Was he the next coming of Christ? No. But when we eulogize we always overstate. Nothing wrong with that for most people...

You need to prostrate yourself upon the altar of Sreve. Beg forgiveness for your blasphemy!

3irty1
10-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Well Steve is definitely a nicer guy because not only was Ford a prick, he was a the face of antisemitic cause in America.

Mass producing the car meant SOOOOO much more than any of Jobs' toys and it really shouldn't be a discussion. Ford made it so that anyone could own a car. That's insane. That'd be like if Jobs made the iphone cost $20 but instead of allowing you to dick around on the internet with your finger if it made you so productive that it tripled your salary. Mass producing the car created the American middle class, is responsible for a ton of the country's infrastructure, and plunged the nation into productivity. His industrial model HAD to be copied not just to compete in business but in war. Henry Ford's industrial contributions won us WWII. He's also responsible for a lot of pioneering in materials and in his spare time he invented charcoal.

Ford isn't remembered as a business man but is remembered for doubling the wages of all of his workers and seeing the company profit from the radical move. He invented the franchise system originally for dealerships.

Partial
10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Well Steve is definitely a nicer guy because not only was Ford a prick, he was a the face of antisemitic cause in America.

Mass producing the car meant SOOOOO much more than any of Jobs' toys and it really shouldn't be a discussion. Ford made it so that anyone could own a car. That's insane. That'd be like if Jobs made the iphone cost $20 but instead of allowing you to dick around on the internet with your finger if it made you so productive that it tripled your salary. Mass producing the car created the American middle class, is responsible for a ton of the country's infrastructure, and plunged the nation into productivity. His industrial model HAD to be copied not just to compete in business but in war. Henry Ford's industrial contributions won us WWII. He's also responsible for a lot of pioneering in materials and in his spare time he invented charcoal.

Ford isn't remembered as a business man but is remembered for doubling the wages of all of his workers and seeing the company profit from the radical move. He invented the franchise system originally for dealerships.

One could argue all day about things like this. It's an Apple to Taco comparison. Steve's impact is HUGE. Fords impact is HUGE. Which is bigger is a matter of perspective. I think I could get by and lead a pretty good life without a car. Without a computer I wouldn't have the news, information, a career, etc. Without modern GUIs I wouldn't be paid the way I am.

retailguy
10-07-2011, 11:49 AM
You need to prostrate yourself upon the altar of Sreve. Beg forgiveness for your blasphemy!

I'll get right on that. I've been watching flash videos all morning on my tablet, I'm sure the battery will die soon. No wait, I have a plug. Well, nevermind then, I thought I'd have some time to prostrate myself while the tablet charged, but I don't.

So, I guess I'll continue to live in sin.

channtheman
10-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I could live without a car, just please for the love of God, don't take my fucking iPod!

Partial
10-07-2011, 11:55 AM
I'll get right on that. I've been watching flash videos all morning on my tablet, I'm sure the battery will die soon. No wait, I have a plug. Well, nevermind then, I thought I'd have some time to prostrate myself while the tablet charged, but I don't.

So, I guess I'll continue to live in sin.

Uninstall flash from the market. Navigate to aforementioned videos. Watch videos. No plug or flash required.

3irty1
10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Remember the phrase we are talking about was "He [Jobs] was a historical figure on the scale of a Thomas Edison or Henry Ford..."

This isn't about the importance of cars or computers. That line is clearly bogus.

retailguy
10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Uninstall flash from the market. Navigate to aforementioned videos. Watch videos. No plug or flash required.

I still won't have time to prostrate myself, and, I'll be $10 a month poorer from my Hulu plus subscription. No thanks.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2011, 12:26 PM
If Steve Jobs had died in childbirth, the world would not be appreciably worse off for it. He did NOT invent the personal computer, as I heard Walter Mossberger say on the radio yesterday. He didn't invent the graphical interface. He did not invent smart phones.

Jobs made very nice products that got people excited about technology. He was a great achiever, but I just don't see him so critical as an inventor who fundamentally changed things. He sped-up the human engineering factor, but that was coming along anyway. I heard a moron compare him to Einstein yesterday.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Without modern GUIs I wouldn't be paid the way I am.

Jobs was a perfector of GUI's, but they would be with us today without him.

Partial
10-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I still won't have time to prostrate myself, and, I'll be $10 a month poorer from my Hulu plus subscription. No thanks.

You can't watch hulu on a tablet unless it's a bug on their end. Hulu is only available on PCs, not post-pc devices. Hulu plus is required.

Zool
10-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I've seen multiple references to Jobs creating the PC and GUI. Its that damned Zionistic media. Down with technology and up with guns! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Also up with penises.

mraynrand
10-07-2011, 02:50 PM
If Steve Jobs had died in childbirth...

Thank God he didn't or the world wouldn't have his beautiful children

retailguy
10-07-2011, 04:12 PM
You can't watch hulu on a tablet unless it's a bug on their end. Hulu is only available on PCs, not post-pc devices. Hulu plus is required.

You have difficulty reading, don't you? I already explained this. You're wrong... Go back to your eulogy, you were doing just fine in your appeal for sainthood. Don't let me throw you off your game.

MJZiggy
10-07-2011, 05:33 PM
One could argue all day about things like this. It's an Apple to Taco comparison. Steve's impact is HUGE. Fords impact is HUGE. Which is bigger is a matter of perspective. I think I could get by and lead a pretty good life without a car. Without a computer I wouldn't have the news, information, a career, etc. Without modern GUIs I wouldn't be paid the way I am.

But Steve wouldn't have gotten by without the assembly line.

Partial
10-07-2011, 06:01 PM
You have difficulty reading, don't you? I already explained this. You're wrong... Go back to your eulogy, you were doing just fine in your appeal for sainthood. Don't let me throw you off your game.

Just went and read your post. So you're stealing from Hulu. Classy. Thief. You're violating their terms of service.

Scott Campbell
10-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Just went and read your post. So you're stealing from Hulu. Classy. Thief. You're violating their terms of service.

Which torrent client are you using for pirating all those movies again?

Scott Campbell
10-07-2011, 07:15 PM
You wouldn't have these same problems with an iPhone. It was designed with humans in mind.

Is that why you haven't bought one?

Partial
10-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Hey now. Easy big fella. All I'm saying is you cannot try to make a point as a feature of a product when you have to hack it and circumvent the system to use it.

Is that why you haven't bought one?

I have my reasons. I'll be an iPhone owner soon enough. Current gen smart phones, in general, are ridiculously overpriced. If I'm going to buy one, it has to be exceptional, so the iPhone is the only real option.

woodbuck27
10-08-2011, 05:29 AM
I'm sure the iphone has more apps, but really, if you have the same app redone 12 different times, it is really 12 apps, or 1?

Like I said, everything she's wanted to do, there is an app for it. If not, I can root the phone and then there are more apps that it'll run. I, have so far, found zero reasons to root the phone.

It really is an awesome phone. I'm surprised. Usually I don't really like this crap, but this thing is nice. Not nice enough to give up my free blackberry, but you understand...

Ohh WOW! and I'm still getting used to touch tone. . . up here we eat those blackberries in season.

retailguy
10-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Fail. Try again. You were so close this time. Take my post, apply basic economic theory, then add real world examples (VHS VCR, Apple vs. PC), and you will arrive at my conclusion. Remember (and this is very important), it doesn't matter if YOU agree with my conclusion, but if you try hard enough you will figure out where I'm coming from, and my morals and ethics have zero to do with it. I'm not trying to convert you, I'm attempting to show you why Apple doesn't rule the world, and why what goes up, will come down, sooner or later.

Doesn't this remind you of your childhood, with your fathers finger pointed at you, red-faced, saying "Don't do as I do, do as I TELL YOU TO DO"? Dump Partials head over your fathers, and you have this forum....

Kind of sad it's been reduced to this, isn't it?

Scott Campbell
10-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I walked by the Apple store in Covent Garden in London today, and there was a candle lit shrine to Steve out in front, and people taking pictures. I sure hope the employees didn't do that.

MJZiggy
10-08-2011, 06:17 PM
The Post has an interesting premise. I had to laugh at the last line of the article in context to the argument going on in here about flash...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/apple-is-a-new-religion-and-steve-jobs-was-its-high-priest/2011/10/07/gIQAjYlgTL_story.html?hpid=z2

retailguy
10-09-2011, 03:25 PM
The Post has an interesting premise. I had to laugh at the last line of the article in context to the argument going on in here about flash...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/apple-is-a-new-religion-and-steve-jobs-was-its-high-priest/2011/10/07/gIQAjYlgTL_story.html?hpid=z2

so, for shits and grins i uninstalled flash. then i visited six websites. i could play video on one of them. the other five told me that i needed flash installed to properly play videos. partial was 20% correct.

visited from daughters ipad, couldnt play videos on the other five either.

why do i waste my time with this fool?

MJZiggy
10-09-2011, 03:46 PM
so, for shits and grins i uninstalled flash. then i visited six websites. i could play video on one of them. the other five told me that i needed flash installed to properly play videos. partial was 20% correct.

I'm actually starting to wonder if that "flash from heaven" line was intentional...

Partial
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM

What sites? I find that hard to believe. News sites definitely serve up iPad content so me thinks you're just picking sites intentionally for this argument. I have watched 4 diff videos from random news sites on my iPad tonight..

retailguy
10-10-2011, 09:22 AM
What sites? I find that hard to believe. News sites definitely serve up iPad content so me thinks you're just picking sites intentionally for this argument. I have watched 4 diff videos from random news sites on my iPad tonight..

It is this kind of shit that makes me refer to you as a narcissistic little prick. (I can't duplicate it, therefore it doesn't exist).

Good grief.

I could not get video, and got a message to "install the latest flash player" at

bbc.co.uk
nasdaq.com
foxsports.com

I got a message that "this content was not available on your device" at

nbc.com

(though I could watch news videos that bumped me over to msnbc.com, the latest SNL video was not available)

I got a black screen when I clicked on a video at:

ft.com (financial times)

I got a very nice photo, but no video, when I clicked on an interview with the international monetary fund economist at:

economist.com

Additionally, I could not play video natively at:

bloomberg.com
seattlepi.com
usatoday.com
abc.com

They did tell me that there was an IPAD app available, but honestly I didn't take the time to download it.

All these sites played just fine NATIVELY on my android tablet with flash enabled. It was simple. The IPAD? Not simple.

Zool
10-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Dump Partials head over your fathers, and you have this forum....

Thats basically a nightmare factory. Thanks for that

channtheman
10-10-2011, 03:11 PM
It is this kind of shit that makes me refer to you as a narcissistic little prick. (I can't duplicate it, therefore it doesn't exist).

Good grief.

I could not get video, and got a message to "install the latest flash player" at

bbc.co.uk
nasdaq.com
foxsports.com

I got a message that "this content was not available on your device" at

nbc.com

(though I could watch news videos that bumped me over to msnbc.com, the latest SNL video was not available)

I got a black screen when I clicked on a video at:

ft.com (financial times)

I got a very nice photo, but no video, when I clicked on an interview with the international monetary fund economist at:

economist.com

Additionally, I could not play video natively at:

bloomberg.com
seattlepi.com
usatoday.com
abc.com

They did tell me that there was an IPAD app available, but honestly I didn't take the time to download it.

All these sites played just fine NATIVELY on my android tablet with flash enabled. It was simple. The IPAD? Not simple.

Yeah but those are all shitty sites that no one should want to watch videos on anyway, so it's really just your problem.

retailguy
10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah but those are all shitty sites that no one should want to watch videos on anyway, so it's really just your problem.

I'm certain that the rebuttal is either going to be this, OR, I'm incompetent using video. Probably if I spent 20 minutes on each site, or used a certain browser, or downloaded apps, or did a google search on the video title for a "compatible" site, I'd be able to watch videos on the IPAD.

What the rebuttal WON'T be is "Gee, I guess you do need flash right now for your uses"...:neutral:

Partial
10-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm certain that the rebuttal is either going to be this, OR, I'm incompetent using video. Probably if I spent 20 minutes on each site, or used a certain browser, or downloaded apps, or did a google search on the video title for a "compatible" site, I'd be able to watch videos on the IPAD.

What the rebuttal WON'T be is "Gee, I guess you do need flash right now for your uses"...:neutral:

The solution is to contact the web site using the contact us and tell them to support web standards. I'm skeptical personally as I browse CONSTANTLY and NEVER encounter this.

It's a bummer that it doesn't work for you. It's really quite sad that you're forced to use a horrible tool like Flash.

retailguy
10-11-2011, 08:32 AM
The solution is to contact the web site using the contact us and tell them to support web standards. I'm skeptical personally as I browse CONSTANTLY and NEVER encounter this.

It's a bummer that it doesn't work for you. It's really quite sad that you're forced to use a horrible tool like Flash.

So, after 3 weeks of disagreement over flash, it comes down to this. Really? Do you finally understand that although flash is "dying" it isn't dead yet? Did you visit some of the sites I mentioned and see that what I told you is true? Did it finally sink in?

If you ask me (and in all fairness you didn't), this type of response is one of the major reasons that folks ridicule you and your opinions all the time. You have no ability, willingness, or moral compass to say "I was mistaken". It defines your character. It is who you are. While not surprised, I am disappointed.

When flash is dead, I will embrace whatever technology replaces it. In the meantime, I'm grateful that I own equipment that allows me to continue using it, so I'm not missing news stories, tv shows, and other clips that I find educational, humorous, or informing. It might be crappy inefficient technology, that part I have no idea, but what I do know is that it WORKS.

mraynrand
10-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Ferrous Cranus?

MJZiggy
10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Ferrous Cranus?Si senor.

Partial
10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
So, after 3 weeks of disagreement over flash, it comes down to this. Really? Do you finally understand that although flash is "dying" it isn't dead yet? Did you visit some of the sites I mentioned and see that what I told you is true? Did it finally sink in?

No, flash is dead for all intents and purposes. The web developers on those sites are just being lazy. Write them and tell them to update their content. Takes two minutes.

In addition, they gave you a touch-friendly native cocoa touch application. They gave you means to watch it. I don't understand your whining.

When flash is dead, I will embrace whatever technology replaces it. In the meantime, I'm grateful that I own equipment that allows me to continue using it, so I'm not missing news stories, tv shows, and other clips that I find educational, humorous, or informing. It might be crappy inefficient technology, that part I have no idea, but what I do know is that it WORKS.

Really, because you said they offered it and you didn't (re: when flash is dead). It works when you steal (re:hulu). It's a dumb argument.

Adobe has repeatedly said that Apple mobile devices cannot access “the full web” because 75% of video on the web is in Flash. What they don’t say is that almost all this video is also available in a more modern format, H.264, and viewable on iPhones, iPods and iPads. YouTube, with an estimated 40% of the web’s video, shines in an app bundled on all Apple mobile devices, with the iPad offering perhaps the best YouTube discovery and viewing experience ever. Add to this video from Vimeo, Netflix, Facebook, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, ESPN, NPR, Time, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Sports Illustrated, People, National Geographic, and many, many others. iPhone, iPod and iPad users aren’t missing much video.

retailguy
10-12-2011, 08:21 AM
No, flash is dead for all intents and purposes. The web developers on those sites are just being lazy. Write them and tell them to update their content. Takes two minutes.

In addition, they gave you a touch-friendly native cocoa touch application. They gave you means to watch it. I don't understand your whining.

Really, because you said they offered it and you didn't (re: when flash is dead). It works when you steal (re:hulu). It's a dumb argument.

Partial, do you have any clue at all how petty this sounds? Listening to you go on and on about "theivery" is priceless. That is a pretty strong term to use for me, when I'm sitting in a chair watching a video that they give away if I use my laptop but don't if I use a tablet. I can sit in the same chair, in the same house, watching the same video, in one way completely in agreement with "terms and conditions" and one way I'm not. What sense does that really make? I watch the same ads, at the same time, and it makes ZERO difference. Match that against someone who downloads a torrent, never paying for the copyrights associated with the video, and never having any intention of doing that.

Is this really the mountain you want to stand on? Really? Those idiots in New York have one thing correct. Corporate America does try to sell stuff to us that has little value. Like HULU plus. I can watch it on my laptop for free, but if I want to watch on the phone or a tablet I have to pay. Yeah. Loads of value in that transaction. If you want to "go along" with that model, be my guest, (after all you get a GREAT user experience), but I'm not interested. I'm not costing Hulu one red cent, nor am I deviating from their business model. The reality of what is going on is that they have a crummy business model and they're trying to change it. It might work, but it might not. If it works, I can promise you one thing, they'll do it without my money.

Partial, when Windows 8 comes out, I'll probably be able to load that onto my tablet, and watch HULU then too, since it will natively identify itself as a Windows machine. Is the terms of service related to the particular DEVICE or the OPERATING SYSTEM? Does it matter? And finally, does anyone except you really care?

Partial
10-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Partial, do you have any clue at all how petty this sounds? Listening to you go on and on about "theivery" is priceless. That is a pretty strong term to use for me, when I'm sitting in a chair watching a video that they give away if I use my laptop but don't if I use a tablet. I can sit in the same chair, in the same house, watching the same video, in one way completely in agreement with "terms and conditions" and one way I'm not. What sense does that really make? I watch the same ads, at the same time, and it makes ZERO difference. Match that against someone who downloads a torrent, never paying for the copyrights associated with the video, and never having any intention of doing that.

Their terms there rules. Rationalize it however you want. Whatever helps you sleep at night. You're stealing. Hulu plus is the only legal way to watch Hulu content on a Post-PC era device.

Is this really the mountain you want to stand on? Really? Those idiots in New York have one thing correct. Corporate America does try to sell stuff to us that has little value. Like HULU plus. I can watch it on my laptop for free, but if I want to watch on the phone or a tablet I have to pay. Yeah. Loads of value in that transaction. If you want to "go along" with that model, be my guest, (after all you get a GREAT user experience), but I'm not interested. I'm not costing Hulu one red cent, nor am I deviating from their business model. The reality of what is going on is that they have a crummy business model and they're trying to change it. It might work, but it might not. If it works, I can promise you one thing, they'll do it without my money.

Hulu plus has other benefits. I wouldn't pay for it. Having that said, I'm not about to steal it. Their business model is fine. The reason it is the way it is because Apple TV and Google TV run iOs and Android respectively. They cannot stream to TVs for free. There is a reason Hulu is going to be sold for billions of dollars.

Partial, when Windows 8 comes out, I'll probably be able to load that onto my tablet, and watch HULU then too, since it will natively identify itself as a Windows machine. Is the terms of service related to the particular DEVICE or the OPERATING SYSTEM? Does it matter? And finally, does anyone except you really care?

I doubt anyone cares. There business model will likely change by then because they're for sale now and will be sold. They certainly won't be using flash then since Win8 won't support it. Their videos are already H264 behind the scenes.

SkinBasket
10-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Their terms there rules.

their rules.

There business model

Their business model.

Zool
10-12-2011, 11:46 AM
their rules.

Their business model.

Weren't you the one just calling him educated?

SkinBasket
10-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Weren't you the one just calling him educated?

He continues to defy expectations at every turn.

Partial
10-12-2011, 02:08 PM
No time to worry about spelling dude. I have two jobs. You have zero.

For the iPhone not being cool anymore with kids, it's interesting that as of today, the iPhone 4 is still the best selling phone on Verizon and ATT. Yes, despite everyone knowing the new one is coming out, it's still the best selling phone of Sept and Oct.

The iPhone 4S has shattered all pre-sale figures for the big 3 American carriers. It's safe to say that contrary to what Ziggy thinks, EVERYONE (the vast majority) still loves the iPhone and think it's a big hit.

Zool
10-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Contrary to what you think, no one here but you gives a fuck. Not 1 single fuck

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_C33ci-8iMB0/TBKaxz6NhZI/AAAAAAAACLI/opUrgY_DoEs/s1600/cherry-dum-dum.jpg

retailguy
10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Their terms there rules. Rationalize it however you want. Whatever helps you sleep at night. You're stealing. Hulu plus is the only legal way to watch Hulu content on a Post-PC era device.

Hulu plus has other benefits. I wouldn't pay for it. Having that said, I'm not about to steal it.

Is your sudden morality conversion a recent thing?

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?18639-Post-Dallas-Game-PI-Articles&daysprune=-1

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?18529-PI-articles&daysprune=-1

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?18308-miscast-characters&daysprune=-1

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?18291-Barnett-Up-Hawk-Down&daysprune=-1

Their terms there rules.

Indeed.

Partial
10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Don't read it Zool. RG, those links don't work for me. Beyond that, this isn't about what I do. I wouldn't claim piracy as a benefit/real world usage of a machine.

mraynrand
10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I would claim piracy as a benefit/real world usage of a machine.

ARRRGGGGGGGGH!

MJZiggy
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Don't read it Zool. RG, those links don't work for me.

You're probably trying to access them on a Mac... :P

SkinBasket
10-12-2011, 05:44 PM
No time to worry about spelling dude. I have two jobs. You have zero.

Making up your own job doesn't count.

I've worked as an independent contractor for someone who started their own business, so I know how easy it is. Except he did actual work for real people.

retailguy
10-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Don't read it Zool. RG, those links don't work for me. Beyond that, this isn't about what I do. I wouldn't claim piracy as a benefit/real world usage of a machine.

You are an abject fool.

The links are your threads posting illegally obtained PI content. Shocking. But you knew that, and your denials were just a ruse, unless, those thread were created in flash and you can't see them because you're using an ipad.

retailguy
10-13-2011, 08:40 AM

I've worked as an independent contractor for someone who started their own business, so I know how easy it is. Except he did actual work for real people.

You mean he wasn't building IPAD apps in the basement of moms house?

retailguy
10-13-2011, 08:42 AM
ARRRGGGGGGGGH!

You expected something else? I'm just shocked he was as honest as he was. He can't figure out that it clearly brands him as a hypocrite, but hey, those details just aren't important when you're taking over the world. Or, anyway, when you're stupid enough to believe you can.

Partial
10-13-2011, 09:15 AM
You are an abject fool.

The links are your threads posting illegally obtained PI content. Shocking. But you knew that, and your denials were just a ruse, unless, those thread were created in flash and you can't see them because you're using an ipad.

The links literally do not work. I click them and I'm given a security exception. Are they in the garbage can? I have never requested access. What is PI content?

Partial
10-13-2011, 09:17 AM

I have two LLCs, soon to be three if I decide to get into real estate. I do actual, real work for real people. Not only have I written commercial software that I've released myself, I have also worked as a free lancer. I don't know what you're talking about, but you should get your facts straight before you run your mouth and look like an idiot.

Zool
10-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Aaaaand thank you for the new signature.

retailguy
10-13-2011, 10:11 AM
The links literally do not work. I click them and I'm given a security exception. Are they in the garbage can? I have never requested access. What is PI content?

PI is Packer Insider.

You obviously had GC access at some point. When you were stealing PI content anyhow.

retailguy
10-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Aaaaand thank you for the new signature.

He's a virtual quote machine. But then he whines to "De Furher" and your signatures disappear in the middle of the night.

SkinBasket
10-13-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't know what you're talking about

This might be a more accurate summation of his time here.

mraynrand
10-13-2011, 10:32 AM
He's a virtual quote machine. But then he whines to "De Furher" and your signatures disappear in the middle of the night.

Actually, I openly commented about The Skinbasket's sig. re: Partial in response to Mad taking away political sigs. Mad was right to do both. It should be possible to deconstruct Partial's arguments without personal invective (PI). That PI should be saved for FYI!

mraynrand
10-13-2011, 10:36 AM
ARRRGGGGGGGGH!

You expected something else? I'm just shocked he was as honest as he was. He can't figure out that it clearly brands him as a hypocrite, but hey, those details just aren't important when you're taking over the world. Or, anyway, when you're stupid enough to believe you can.

I should have been more clear: Arrrrggggh!

http://www.emoboyfriend.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/pirate.jpg

MadtownPacker
10-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Fuck...

OK Partial, my patience if very limited so I dont bother getting into long drawn out discussions because I will just lose it so I will say right now and I know it isn't the first time I have told you this so consider it a final warning.

DO NOT make comments regarding the family members of other poster unless solicited. This includes calling them idiots. If you want to act like a ego tripping, Monster energy drink sipping lunatic keep it towards the forum and posters of this forum.

As for you having all this new money and skillz, do you have a picture of your new car or are you still driving the civic? How about those apps you made, I have a request for something I want for PackerRats. Im sure you can whip it together right? Let me know.

MadtownPacker
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
RG, those links don't work for me.They do now. Try it.

Partial
10-13-2011, 01:23 PM
They do now. Try it.

If you legitimately want something I can crank something out for you dude.

Can you revoke the GC access I really would rather not have it. Ignorance is bliss in this case. Thanks!

MadtownPacker
10-14-2011, 10:45 AM
If you legitimately want something I can crank something out for you dude.

Can you revoke the GC access I really would rather not have it. Ignorance is bliss in this case. Thanks!

What about addressing the fucking post above???

Partial
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Fuck...

OK Partial, my patience if very limited so I dont bother getting into long drawn out discussions because I will just lose it so I will say right now and I know it isn't the first time I have told you this so consider it a final warning.

DO NOT make comments regarding the family members of other poster unless solicited. This includes calling them idiots. If you want to act like a ego tripping, Monster energy drink sipping lunatic keep it towards the forum and posters of this forum.

As for you having all this new money and skillz, do you have a picture of your new car or are you still driving the civic? How about those apps you made, I have a request for something I want for PackerRats. Im sure you can whip it together right? Let me know.

Don't have any money dog. Make a decent living but saving for a house. No spare change at all. I drive a Saturn Vue. I can whip something up if you want.

Partial
10-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Went to the ATT store today (they're sold out of the 16GB). I played with Siri for a good 10 minutes. I thought this feature was stupid and I would never use it because talking to your phone is weird.

Turns out I've never been more wrong. With the "activate by putting phone to ear", it's really not weird.

It's unbelievably fast, and accurate. I called myself, texted myself, and sent myself in an email in 1/10th the time it would take to type the stuff. I also set-up a calendar thing, checked where the nearest chipotle was, among other things. Soooo freaking cool. The dictation accuracy is shockingly good.

This may be a game changer. This it has to connect to Apple's servers to work, hopefully it doesn't send too much data over the cell network ($$$). I'm completely floored by Siri, and it takes a lot to really impress me with technology. This is the kind of thing that will change your life if you start using it. One of those things that you can't imagine life before it.

http://shitthatsirisays.tumblr.com/
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html

Upnorth
10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Steve Jobs gave a great gift to humor before he passed, autocorrect. A friend just emailed me a link to damnyouautocorrect.com and i can't stop laughing. if you are feeling shitty go laugh at autocorrect. Thanks Sreve!

SkinBasket
10-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Steve Jobs gave a great gift to humor before he passed, autocorrect. A friend just emailed me a link to damnyouautocorrect.com and i can't stop laughing. if you are feeling shitty go laugh at autocorrect. Thanks Sreve!

You never forget your first time at that site.

MadtownPacker
10-15-2011, 10:19 AM

Don't have any money dog. Make a decent living but saving for a house. No spare change at all. I drive a Saturn Vue. I can whip something up if you want.
This is the part you haven't answered.

Partial
10-15-2011, 09:05 PM
This is the part you haven't answered.

Got it.

Partial
10-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Looks like iPhone 4S is a resounding success. Wish it was an iPhone 5 though :-/. Getting mine within the next 8 days!

channtheman
10-15-2011, 11:01 PM
When people talk about electronic devices changing your life, it pisses me off. Yeah some things are truly life changing, but talking into a phone vs. typing the same fucking thing? GTFO.

SkinBasket
10-16-2011, 07:28 AM
When people talk about electronic devices changing your life, it pisses me off. Yeah some things are truly life changing, but talking into a phone vs. typing the same fucking thing? GTFO.

It kind of reminds me of when I was 13 and I would get really excited reading about some detail in a new video game they promised would revolutionize how you played games forever. Of course, I would be reading this in a paper magazine while looking at digitally enhanced images, but fuck if I wasn't on board and all like, "Holy shit, did you see what next years Madden looks like?! The player have numbers on their jerseys now!!"

Patler
10-16-2011, 07:49 AM
One of my kids just go the new iPhone on Friday. It actually is kinda neat.
I still hate all smartphones, though!

Partial
10-16-2011, 09:54 AM

It's not about talking into a phone. It's about AI. That's what exciting.

Upnorth
10-16-2011, 10:00 AM
It's not about talking into a phone. It's about AI. That's what exciting.

I hope they upgrade the autocorrect. I still am laughing my ass of to it! Way to go Steve.

Partial
10-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Apple sold over 4 million iPhones in 3 days. 4 million in 3 days. Has there ever been a more successful product launch? Those numbers just seem fantasy to me. Good lord. #AAPL

I guess those college kids don't think the iPhone is so lame after all, do they Zig? The most awesome part is next year's launch will probably be 6-8 million. The iPhone didn't really take off until iPhone 4 and all of those people will be coming off of contract then primed to upgrade.