PDA

View Full Version : Packers strong at safety

Brandon494
08-25-2011, 05:19 PM
"Nick's best asset is roaming the middle of the field because he has such great range," said Darren Perry, who coaches the safeties. "You certainly don't want to take that away, but Morgan has the same type of range."

When the Packers dropped a safety down in Collins' first six seasons, he usually remained back because he could chase anyone down and was more athletic than his cohort. The list of his partners included Mark Roman, Marquand Manuel, Aaron Rouse, Atari Bigby and Peprah.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/128362238.html

Article brought up a good point, could Collins be a even better than we think? He'll now have a more versatile role like Woodson since Morgan has the coverage skills the players above lacked. I like the idea of rushing Collins from the outside with his speed.

Joemailman
08-25-2011, 05:53 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/128362238.html

Article brought up a good point, could Collins be a even better than we think? He'll now have a more versatile role like Woodson since Morgan has the coverage skills the players above lacked. I like the idea of rushing Collins from the outside with his speed.

Absolutely. TT didn't trade away a 4th round pick to move up in the 3rd round so he could draft an in-the-box safety. Collins is a dynamic athlete who should be used all over the field, not just in center field. If Burnett comes through, In the nickel the Packers will 5 legitimate ballhawks on the field. I don't think any team can match it.

Smidgeon
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Two things:

That article said that Collins still had a lot to learn/perfect. If he's already been to 3 straight pro-bowls, is widely considered a top 3 NFL safety, and is incomplete, imagine what he'd be like if he put it all together.

Second, wasn't there a game last year where Capers used Collins as a rusher? I seem to remember two pretty disruptive rushes in a single game (don't remember if they were sacks or not) that made me think Leroy re-arrived.