PDA

View Full Version : IR and PUP list

Guiness
08-26-2011, 08:57 AM
There was a discussion in the Zombo thread about the fact that players can not be put on the PUP if they are hurt during camp - it's IR, roster or release. The reason for this was to prevent teams from stashing players on PUP as a way of holding on to them.

I can understand that, but with the new concussion rules and hard line the league is taking on enforcing them, I wonder if they shouldn't consider some sort of a roster exemption for players being held out that way?

I just read the article on Levine http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/128425663.html and it has to be frustrating to him, he's likely to get cut without the Packers ever getting a proper look at him. Best he can probably hope for is to make it to the ps.

Of course, the potential for abuse is there. It probably wouldn't be hard to get a '3rd party doctor' to continue to claim a guy's brain hurts.

sharpe1027
08-26-2011, 10:03 AM
The guys that this rule is tough on are fringe players that might not have made the team anyway. The NFL has to draw the line somewhere, and no matter what the rules are, there will be hard luck stories. If a player is cut at least he has an opportunity to catch on somewhere else rather than being stashed away on a team and not even be available to practice.

Fritz
08-26-2011, 11:34 AM
I do feel badly for Levine. He sounds pretty down. Maybe he'd like to smack Pat Lee upside the head.

smuggler
08-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Levine has looked good lately, when he's on the field. I expect that he will be on a 53 man roster this season.