PDA

View Full Version : FINAL ROSTER PREDICTION - after Colts game

gbpackfan
08-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Here is my roster prediction after watching the Colts game.

QBs (3) - Rodgers, Flynn, Harrell

RBs (3) - Grant, Starks, Green

FBs (1) - Kuhn

TEs (4) - Finley, Quarless, Taylor, Williams

WRs (6) - Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, West

OL (9) - Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, McDonald, UNK G

DL (6) - Neal, Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Green, Wynn

LBs (8) - Matthews, Hawk, Bishop, Walden, Smith, Francois, Zombo, So'oto

CBs (6) - Woodson, Shields, Williams, House, Bush, Gordy

S (4) - Collins, Burnett, Peprah, Levine

K (1) - Crosby

P (1) - Masthay

LS (1) - Goede

Surprise Cuts

Crabtree - I know they love him as a blocker, but the other four guys bring a lot more to the position. TEs like Crabtree are a dime a dozen IMO and there is too much talent on this roster to keep him.

Lee - He's had plenty of chances to prove he was worthy of a second round pick. He hasn't yet and I doubt he will. He plays special teams well but we cant have two shit CBs on the roster for their special teams ability.

Brad Jones - he has been down right pathetic all camp. I see no explosion, no pass rush ability, nothing. I would rather start So'oto.

Underwood - this isn't really a surprise is it? Off the field problems, position changes, injuries, etc. He's done.

Johnson - Is only a blocker and just an okay one. Too much talent at other positions to keep him.

Practice Squad - guys I want to see signed to the PS

Hoese FB
Gurley WR
Lattimore LB
Borell WR

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2011, 02:09 AM
I just rewatched the Colts game and the second half of the Cardinals game (to watch So'oto and Lattimore, among others). Here's my thinking after rewatching the games:

QB Rodgers was in Falcons form this last game. I don't know if Harrell has what it takes because I'm not sure he has the arm to play in the NFL, but he has a bit of mobility and moxie. My guess is that he makes it, but I don't think it's a given yet. He needs to finish the preseason strong.

RB I don't think Grant has looked too bad. Starks has a lot of power, but his running style is still too high. He still seems like an injury waiting to happen because of the big shots he takes. Too bad because he has a lot of skill. Green is great in space, but he hasn't shown much instinct on his inside runs. Guy has a ton of athletic ability though.

WR I wouldn't be surprised if West makes it. It's probably 50-50. Where is James Jones? Has he played because I haven't seen him involved yet?

TE Tough. They've all looked good at times. Finley is close to being back to 100%. Quarless can stretch the field. Williams does some nice things in the pass game. Like you, I feel like Taylor has done enough to unseat Crabtree as the designated blocker. He's like Crabtree + better receiving skills.

OL/DL I didn't really watch them all that closely. Focused on other positions.

LB The backup ILBs look solid to me. Smith is active. Francois is a big guy who is usually in the right spot. If you could combine the size of So'oto and the athleticism of Lattimore, you'd have another Clay Matthews. I watched So'oto closely. He has the size they want. He has some pass rush ability, but he's pretty damn slow and he looked to lack instincts on several plays. Lattimore needs to get bigger. A year on the practice squad, and he might have a chance to make the roster. Jones has been invisible. He's no lock. This is the position that I hope they look outside the organization the most. I wonder if Pittsburgh has any OLBs that they are going to cut.
:)

DB I like the secondary that you listed--although Levine has been slowed by injury.

I really hope they go outside to fill the 9th OL, backup OLB, and fourth safety spots. Perhaps TT can use a TE or WR as trade bait.

Fritz
08-28-2011, 09:08 AM
What about MD "Medical Doctor" Jennings?

I agree with your assessment above, GB, but I wonder if the Pack might be willing to cut Peprah and go with Levine and the doctor.

Your post makes a lot of sense, which is why it's probably wrong. Every year Ted and Mike keep someone who's a surprise - maybe it's Brandon Saine this year, I don't know.

vince
08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm buying everything said here, except Fritz' ideas about Peprah and Saine.

I think that, if they go with 9 o-linemen, which would be the assumption but not guaranteed, they'll have seen enough in Schlauderaff or go with EDS there. Given the multiple offensive sets McCarthy likes to run and the special teams considerations, I won't be surprised to see Crabtree kept, although I do think Taylor is ahead of him.

Agree 100% that So'oto plus Lattimore would be one great olb. So'oto will be the guy to make the team IMO because he's not a liability against the run (at least physically, the rest is coachable) and has shown some pass rush. So'oto's shown enough that I think Ted sticks with him.

I don't see Ted going with anyone else's castoffs at any position at this point. The last guys that will make this roster will either be reliable players who fill a role like Crabtree and EDS or young guys with enough upside that you don't want to lose them.

pbmax
08-28-2011, 09:46 AM
All garbage. McGinn has a much better read on things than the garbage in here.

pbmax
08-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Not sure Jones is going anywhere. As McGinn pointed out in the paper today, all his snaps were in the first half and the two in line to take his job (So'oto and Lattimore) played entirely in the second half. Not saying they couldn't surprise, its happened before to a vet who isn't terrific on ST, but I say they try to get Lattimore on PS. In fact, I could see them playing a game of keeping all three, dropping someone they want who will be less likely to be picked up, let the PS dust settle, then shuffle again after week one trying to get Lattimore to the PS.

The only outright disagreement from me is Gordy. Not sure he is enough to keep as sixth CB.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2011, 10:01 AM
they keep 5 TEs. So'oto is not ahead of Jones, but who knows? maybe they gave first string time to jones for do-or-die-audition. Underwood beats out Levine. maybe West makes roster, but probably TT does something fan-irritating like keep Nance instead. Defensive line is completely unpredictable, could be a new player or promotion of young guy.

mraynrand
08-28-2011, 10:17 AM
I think you have to get rid of Crabtree - he was taking up at least four roster spots! :lol:

Joemailman
08-28-2011, 10:33 AM

RBs (4) - Grant, Starks, Green, Nance

FBs (1) - Kuhn

WRs (5) - Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Cobb

OL (9) - Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, McDonald, Dominguez

S (4) - Collins, Burnett, Peprah, Underwood

K (1) - Crosby

P (1) - Masthay

LS (1) - Goede

jklowan
08-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Here is my roster prediction after watching the Colts game.

FBs (1) - Kuhn

OL (9) - Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, McDonald, UNK G

S (4) - Collins, Burnett, Peprah, Levine

K (1) - Crosby

P (1) - Masthay

LS (1) - Goede

Surprise Cuts

Crabtree - I know they love him as a blocker, but the other four guys bring a lot more to the position. TEs like Crabtree are a dime a dozen IMO and there is too much talent on this roster to keep him.

Lee - He's had plenty of chances to prove he was worthy of a second round pick. He hasn't yet and I doubt he will. He plays special teams well but we cant have two shit CBs on the roster for their special teams ability.

Brad Jones - he has been down right pathetic all camp. I see no explosion, no pass rush ability, nothing. I would rather start So'oto.

Underwood - this isn't really a surprise is it? Off the field problems, position changes, injuries, etc. He's done.

Johnson - Is only a blocker and just an okay one. Too much talent at other positions to keep him.

Practice Squad - guys I want to see signed to the PS

Hoese FB
Gurley WR
Lattimore LB
Borell WR

I agree with most but might swap out Lee for Bush, Bush looked like sh*t in this game and Lee still may have an up side

vince
08-28-2011, 10:38 AM
QB - Rodgers, Flynn, Harrell
RB - Grant, Starks, Green, Kuhn
TE - Finley, Quarless, Williams, Taylor, Crabtree
WR - Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Cobb, Jones
OL - Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Sherrod, McDonald, Newhouse, EDS
DL - Raji, Pickett, Neal, Wilson, Green, Wynn
OLB - Matthews, Walden, Zombo, Jones, So'oto
ILB - Bishop, Hawk, Smith, Francois
CB - Woodson, Williams, Shields, House, Bush
S - Collins, Burnett, Peprah, Levine
ST - Crosby, Masthay, Goode

It comes down to:
Levine vs. Jennings
Bush vs. Lee
So'oto vs. Gordy vs. Jones (2 of the 3 make it)
Francois vs. Cardia Jackson
EDS vs. Schlauderaff vs. Crabtree vs. West vs. Johnson (2 make it)

Harrell is a carbon copy of Flynn 2 years ago. I think the situation with Flynn leaving after this year forces the Packers to keep Harrell on the 53 this year.

There are some calls there too close for fans to determine with the information we have available to us, not the least of which is what direction McCarthy wants to take the offense and therefore the roster this year. I think Johnson and the 8th linemen are expendable and West is earning a spot, but it's impossible to know how that fits with McCarthy's priorities. West appears serviceable on Special Teams, but is probably unlikely to be a standout there. Crabtree is a bigger asset on Special Teams but I don't know if that trumps the 6th WR.

pbmax
08-28-2011, 10:47 AM
I think Francois is a given since he has stayed on the 2nd team all camp and can play OLB in a pinch. Does anyone have the starters on Special Teams from either the game or practice last week?

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2011, 11:01 AM

FBs (1) - Kuhn

WRs (5) - Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Cobb

OL (9) - Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, McDonald, Dominguez

S (4) - Collins, Burnett, Peprah, Underwood

K (1) - Crosby

P (1) - Masthay

LS (1) - Goede

i agree with your picks, except there will be some unexpected moves on DL.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2011, 11:03 AM
btw, when do first cuts come - today? maybe they extended time to make first cuts because of short off-season/

vince
08-28-2011, 11:04 AM
First cutdown - to 80 - is due Tuesday. The Packers just cut 3 so they'll only have to cut 2 or 3 others to reach the 80-man limit on Tuesday.

mraynrand
08-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Explain to me how Underwood makes the team?

Will Jones make the team because he is safely mediocre at OLB and ILB or do they take a chance on the deSoto?

Same for Peprah - he knows what to do out there, but he does it all a step slower - can they do better?

Who the hell are they counting on to pick up the blitz on third down?

vince
08-28-2011, 11:06 AM
I think Francois is a given since he has stayed on the 2nd team all camp and can play OLB in a pinch.
I can see that. Francois is more of a thumper and Jackson appears like he could be more active and disruptive in the middle. My thinking is that they may value that dimension but I do agree that all appearances favor Francois.

Fritz
08-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Will Jones make the team because he is safely mediocre at OLB and ILB or do they take a chance on the deSoto?

Same for Peprah - he knows what to do out there, but he does it all a step slower - can they do better?

Who the hell are they counting on to pick up the blitz on third down?

Underwood, if nothing else, is athletic and supposedly fluid. He knows the defense by now, and he plays ST. If Capers and MM think he can play the safety spot better than Charllie Peprah, and if they think he can be reliable ("Hey, Brandon, don't be hiring prostitutes anymore or punching your wife") they might see him as an upgrade over Peprah.

Harlan Huckleby
08-28-2011, 11:14 AM
underwood was playing well before injury, he will come back

SkinBasket
08-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Jennings MD makes the team. He has to.

gbpackfan
08-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Great input. Some of the cuts really are too close to call. I just have no desire to see Brad Jones, who is regressing, make this team. I would rather they pick up a cut if they dont trust So'oto there.

I just don't see how West doesn't make this team. The Packers have proven time and time again that they will promote from within, after a year on the PS and this kind of performance, he's earned it.

I also think the Packers are in love with Peprah. They know he is limited but they also know he stepped up big time last year when they needed him to. It's nice to have a veteran back-up there if needed.

pbmax
08-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Special Teams participation from practice, no Colts game info:

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Lattimore on No 1 kickoff cover presumably because Jones is out.
22 Aug

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
No. 1 punt return: Bush, Peprah, Lee, Shields jammers. Lattimore, RTaylor, Crabtree, Smith, A. Green, Kuhn inside. West the returner.
23 Aug

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
K. Taylor, Borel, Nelson and Tramon Williams also taking returns off the machine.
23 Aug

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Brett Swain, perennial ST standout, is working with the No. 2 punt return team.
23 Aug

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Four tight ends on No 1 kickoff return: Crabtree, Quarless, Taylor and Williams.
23 Aug

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Quinn Johnson makes a rare appearance on a No. 1 special teams unit. He's in kickoff return
24 Aug

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Correction on the block punt. It was Saine not Gurley. Gurley had one earlier this week
24 Aug

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
RT @packers: Packers release three players from roster - TE Spencer Havner, T Theo Sherman and WR Brett Swain: pckrs.com/nc4t"
46 minutes ago

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
RT @packers: Packers release three players from roster - TE Spencer Havner, T Theo Sherman and WR Brett Swain: pckrs.com/nc4t"
46 minutes ago

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Just because they released Swain doesnt necessarily mean West or Gurley is making it. No guarantee they're keeping a 6th WR
46 minutes ago

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Gurley with another blocked punt. That's at least three this camp
15 minutes ago

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Cobb and Smithson are both back and catching punts
14 minutes ago

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Josh Gordy is not practing. That's a new one.
13 minutes ago
Rob Demovsky

pbmax
08-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Jennings MD makes the team. He has to.

If not, I look forward to his TV show: Dr. Jennings, Medicine DB

denverYooper
08-28-2011, 11:53 AM
RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Just because they released Swain doesnt necessarily mean West or Gurley is making it. No guarantee they're keeping a 6th WR
46 minutes ago

I think they'll go the 5 TE/5 WR route, especially since 3 of the TE's are practically WR's.

I like West but I think that McCarthy, being a TE in his playing days, has designs on slowly phasing out the WR position altogether in his offense in favor of a 10 TE attack.

pbmax
08-28-2011, 01:41 PM
RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
MM: Gordy has a shoulder injury, Collins back injury.
5 minutes ago

BTW, that's Nick Collins with the injury. Sat out all practice.

pack4to84
08-28-2011, 03:14 PM

FBs (1) - Kuhn

OL (8) - Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, McDonald

S (4) - Collins, Burnett, Peprah, Bush

K (1) - Crosby

P (1) - Masthay

LS (1) - Goede

Joemailman
08-28-2011, 03:18 PM

FBs (1) - Kuhn

K (1) - Crosby

P (1) - Masthay

LS (1) - Goede

You like Bush so much you included him twice? :wink:

hoosier
08-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Underwood, if nothing else, is athletic and supposedly fluid.

Brandon "Fluid" Underwood. Man, that is both smooth and borderline risque. With a moniker like that how could TT possibly cut the guy?

MJZiggy
08-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Brandon "Fluid" Underwood. Man, that is both smooth and borderline risque. With a moniker like that how could TT possibly cut the guy?

Reminds me too much of fluid on the knee. When my dad's knee started looking like a soccer ball, the doctor would say he had fluid and then something disgusting would happen.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2011, 02:38 AM
I don't think this is how it will shake out after week one (when he can sign a veteran without guaranteeing the contract and after other teams make their cuts), but Thompson often goes with an unbalanced roster with the our final cuts. He likes to keep players that deserve to be on the roster over strict roster rules, but then will look to see who becomes available to better balance the roster. So, with that in mind, here's what I'm presently thinking:

FBs (2) - Kuhn, Johnson
TEs (5) - Finley, Quarless, Taylor, Williams, Crabtree
CBs (5) - Woodson, Shields, Williams, House, Gordy
K (1) - Crosby
P (1) - Masthay
LS (1) - Goode

I think these guys most deserve a roster spot. I see him keeping 3 safeties at cut time--with an eye out for a safety prospect cut by another team and the thought that Bush could fill in there. He could cut So'oto if he finds a better OLB prospect. He could cut/trade Crabtree or West if a decent OL prospect becomes available.

pack4to84
08-29-2011, 12:05 PM

FBs (1) - Kuhn

OL 8 - Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, McDonald

LBs 9 - Matthews, Hawk, Bishop, Walden, Smith, Francois, Zombo, So'oto, Lattimore

K (1) - Crosby

P (1) - Masthay

LS (1) - Goede

fixed

woodbuck27
08-29-2011, 12:36 PM
RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
MM: Gordy has a shoulder injury, Collins back injury.
5 minutes ago

BTW, that's Nick Collins with the injury. Sat out all practice.

Ohoo! that's not good news pbmax. He's one of our legitimate stars. Great... the way that TT draft pick from nowhere developed. At the time I wasn't hoping for TT to go there as I saw two other options, one being an outstanding NY Giant DE Justin Tuck out of Notre Dame. Nick Collins is a player.

GO Packers !

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2011, 12:41 PM
FBs (2) - Kuhn, Johnson

johnson lover!

woodbuck27
08-29-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think this is how it will shake out after week one (when he can sign a veteran without guaranteeing the contract and after other teams make their cuts), but Thompson often goes with an unbalanced roster with the our final cuts. He likes to keep players that deserve to be on the roster over strict roster rules, but then will look to see who becomes available to better balance the roster. So, with that in mind, here's what I'm presently thinking:

FBs (2) - Kuhn, Johnson
TEs (5) - Finley, Quarless, Taylor, Williams, Crabtree
K (1) - Crosby
P (1) - Masthay
LS (1) - Goode

I think these guys most deserve a roster spot. I see him keeping 3 safeties at cut time--with an eye out for a safety prospect cut by another team and the thought that Bush could fill in there. He could cut So'oto if he finds a better OLB prospect. He could cut/trade Crabtree or West if a decent OL prospect becomes available.

Yup nice team Harvey.... Let's get it on !! An outstanding season will develop and ' The Packers ' are the team to beat in the NFL.

GO PACK GO!