PDA

View Full Version : Eagles extend Vick

hoosier
08-29-2011, 07:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6907779/philadelphia-eagles-michael-vick-reach-6-year-100m-deal-source-says

The Eagles just signed him for 6 years, $100 million, $40 million guaranteed.

Rodgers's current contract is for 6 years @ $60 million with about $12 million guaranteed. That is quite a bargain.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-29-2011, 07:31 PM
How do they still have money

Brandon494
08-29-2011, 07:34 PM
http://www.johnnygoodtimes.com/archives/Michael-Vick-R.article.jpg

I'm rich bitch!!!! (Dave Chappelle voice)

red
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
and so now what was left of the little motivation he had is now gone

time for vick of old to show up

ThunderDan
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
How long before he blows all the money in this contract?

Bossman641
08-29-2011, 09:12 PM
How long before he blows all the money in this contract?

Wonder how much he still owes to his creditors. He wasn't granted any type of bankruptcy was he? Last I heard his suggested repayment plan planned for him to get a huge salary increase but that was 1-2 years ago and don't remember what happened.

smuggler
08-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Unlikely that he owes more than $40 mil, and the whole situation has probably taught him to manage his money better.

I don't think Vick has effort issues. The Eagles will probably get their money's worth with him, but yeah, they are in definite win-now mode.

pbmax
08-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Well, his money would have been managed better if he hadn't sacrificed his first $100 mil contract less than halfway through. This new one has to have some major injury protections though, because the guy gets beat up as a QB.

woodbuck27
08-29-2011, 10:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6907779/philadelphia-eagles-michael-vick-reach-6-year-100m-deal-source-says

The Eagles just signed him for 6 years, $100 million, $40 million guaranteed.

Rodgers's current contract is for 6 years @ $60 million with about $12 million guaranteed. That is quite a bargain.

Well then, there's some motivation for Aaron Rodgers to have another superb season.

GO Aaron !

ND72
08-29-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't see mike Vick lasting 6 more years. He is what, 31?

RashanGary
08-29-2011, 10:50 PM
It's amazing what he did. To be one of the greatest players in the game at 30, after that much time off. . . . I never thought he'd be back on top. Credit to him.

mraynrand
08-29-2011, 11:52 PM
How do they still have money

They probably printed some money and sold it to themselves in exchange for bonds. Everyone is doing that these days.

MadtownPacker
08-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Now he gets a chance to earn all the credit he has been given.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Wonder how much he still owes to his creditors. He wasn't granted any type of bankruptcy was he? Last I heard his suggested repayment plan planned for him to get a huge salary increase but that was 1-2 years ago and don't remember what happened.Vick could have declared bankruptcy but did not. I expect a chunk of his bonus will go to the creditors. An uneducated guess - less than 10 million.

I like the Vick story of redemption. I've chosen to believe he is a changed man.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't see mike Vick lasting 6 more years. He is what, 31? ya, it is too much money for a QB who relies so much on his legs. maybe 3 prime years, 3 declining years left in him. at best.

sheepshead
08-30-2011, 11:33 AM
As much as I dont like him on the field or off, you cant argue with this move.

Guiness
08-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Vick could have declared bankruptcy but did not. I expect a chunk of his bonus will go to the creditors. An uneducated guess - less than 10 million.

I like the Vick story of redemption. I've chosen to believe he is a changed man.

He did attempt to declare bankruptcy, but his filing wasn't done properly and was denied. Part of the problem is that it became apparent that two of his financial advisers were committing fraud!

The bankruptcy plan that was approved called for him to repay $20million. I know, I know, I'm splitting hairs here. $10million, $20 million, what does it really matter, right?

As far as the contract the Eagles gave him, on its face, I think it's foolish. We'll see how much funny money is at the end of it when the details come out. It'll probably end up being closer to a 3yr $45million contract?

Guiness
08-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Wow, just found this. Don't know how accurate it is, but if correct, what he gets this year will be less than the Eagle's first round pick...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44327928

How does Vick make out? Well, he's allowed to keep the money left over after his creditors are paid off on the schedule made by the court. So next year, he starts with $17 million, takes $300,000 for himself, gives $5.85 million to his creditors, pays taxes and makes after taxes and makes required monthly payments to his ex-girlfriend and his mother, among others. That leaves him with about $3.7 million. Of that, he has to pay the lawyers and accountants, 50 percent ($1,850,000). Vick can then bank the other $1,850,000, but can't touch it. That means that on a $17 million salary, Vick will net about $1.88 million next year. That means he makes 11 percent of what the Eagles pay him.

red
08-30-2011, 12:00 PM
this guy was known as a coach killer before he went to prison, no one could control or win with him, yet they couldn't get rid of him

now he's had one very good, not great season, which is also his career best season. and this preseason he looks exactly like the vick of old

and you're gonna throw that kind of money at him

that's insanity imo

i also don't understand how they have this much money. cap issue is one things, but with all the new guys they've brought in and given new contracts too. i mean they have to have handed out close to 100 million in cash in the last month or so. where did all that come from?

mraynrand
08-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Of course you have. :tup:

Guiness
08-30-2011, 01:29 PM
this guy was known as a coach killer before he went to prison, no one could control or win with him, yet they couldn't get rid of him

now he's had one very good, not great season, which is also his career best season. and this preseason he looks exactly like the vick of old

and you're gonna throw that kind of money at him

that's insanity imo

i also don't understand how they have this much money. cap issue is one things, but with all the new guys they've brought in and given new contracts too. i mean they have to have handed out close to 100 million in cash in the last month or so. where did all that come from?

Those are my thoughts as well.

2010 was a magical year for him, but he still only played in 12 games (caveat: he was available week 17, but was held out, along with many Eagles starters). I just don't see that that warrants the deal he got. Can he do it again, or was that a one year wonder performance? I guess you can't call it a 1 year wonder, based on what he did in Atl, but still...

pbmax
08-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Remember this is the Eagles; they know how to work a cap and Andrew Brandt is consulting with them.

As Florio points out, there are multiple ways the Eagles can protect themselves from paying Vick the entire amount if his performance suffers or if he runs over a duckling with his car.

But as pointed out during today’s PFT Live, it’s unclear how much of that amount is fully guaranteed, for injury, skill, and salary cap. And that will be an important aspect of the assessment of the deal. If half of the $40 million is guaranteed for injury only, the Eagles can avoid $20 million in supposedly guaranteed money if Vick’s performance sputters, or if he suffers a non-career-ending injury that undermines his overall skills and abilities.

Also, the total amount of the guarantee, even if it’s truly guaranteed, suggests that Vick has concerns about injury or overall ineffectiveness. Indeed, Vick already was due to earn a fully guaranteed salary of $16.2 million this year under the franchise tag. By February 2012, if Vick were to be franchised again, Vick would have been entitled to another $19.44 million in guaranteed money.

That’s $35.64 million in guaranteed money, earned only if he plays well enough over the next four months to convince the Eagles to use the franchise tag on him again.

Instead, he’s getting $40 million in guaranteed money, all of which may not be fully guaranteed, as part of a six-year commitment.

Fritz
08-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Vick needs to consult with Kwame Kilpatrick about how to fight paying back your creditors.

pbmax
08-30-2011, 03:29 PM
For starters, the sixth year voids if he participates in 35 percent of the snaps in any year of the deal. It’s actually a five-year, $80 million deal.

Of the amount, $32.5 million is fully guaranteed, and $3 million is guaranteed for injury only.

That makes the total guaranteed $35.5 million — $4.5 million less than the reported guarantee of $40 million. (It’s also less than the guaranteed money Vick would have received in 2011 and 2012, if the Eagles had used the franchise tag on him again in 2012.)

Since he was franchised this year for just over $16 mil, Vick gets a second year near that number in guaranteed money. So he is paid just under the going rate of a Top 5 QB for two years and then all bets are off.

Guiness
08-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Thank pb,

That puts it in perspective. When you look at the QB franchise tag, the deal makes sense. So it's possible the Eagles lowered their cap number for him this year, but it could very well end up being a 2yr deal - which fits with how long I think he'll be a top flight guy.

Is he top 5? Brady, Brees, Manning, Rivers, Rodgers (alphabetically!). Who is he better than?

retailguy
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Vick is leading a charmed life. Who gets to dip in the well for a second time, after crapping in it the first time?

Fritz
08-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Vick is leading a charmed life. Who gets to dip in the well for a second time, after crapping in it the first time?

What are you talking about? It's the American Way, Retail!

You proclaim that you've sinned and now you see the light, and off you go! Marion Berry, Bill Clinton, Kobe Bryant, ....man, it's as American as apple pie. I'll be surprised if John Edwards doesn't get in on some of this action.

Brandon494
08-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Hes worth every penny, the guy is a one in a generation type of player.

Joemailman
08-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Hes worth every penny, the guy is a one in a generation type of player.

Isn't that what Arthur Blank said a few years ago?

Guiness
08-30-2011, 05:20 PM

So he's twice been a once in a generation player? Wow, that's quite a feat.

Starting to sound like boxing and the 'Fight of the Century'

Brandon494
08-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Yea that's probably why the stadium sold out every season with Vick at QB.

pbmax
08-30-2011, 06:05 PM
He was and apparently is immensely popular in Atlanta, from what I have read. Didn't he get cheered when the Eagles played at Atlanta after his return?

RashanGary
08-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Vick could have declared bankruptcy but did not. I expect a chunk of his bonus will go to the creditors. An uneducated guess - less than 10 million.

A couple years ago, you said you thought Vick would be back. I said, maybe, but he'll never be the wealthy star he was.

Boy was I wrong.

Cheesehead Craig
08-30-2011, 10:07 PM
http://gnc.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pGNC1-4140370dt.jpg

Joemailman
08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
http://www.libidus-pill.com/html/penisextender.jpg

Guiness
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
I hope that picture has nothing to do with the post above it...

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2011, 09:49 AM
penis extendor jokes never get a laugh. I've tried many times. maybe people are afraid to admit that they recognize the pictures.

MadtownPacker
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Maybe but really what has he done with all those blessings? He hasn't won shit so how can he be considered great? Without his wheels he ain't shit. With them he still ain't a champ. Bring on the next great thing cuz it ain't him.

bobblehead
08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
A couple years ago, you said you thought Vick would be back. I said, maybe, but he'll never be the wealthy star he was.

Boy was I wrong.

Sort of. I missed the boat on this guy as well. However, I don't think he is a great QB, nor was he ever. A great athlete for sure. Exciting unquestionably. He is, however, a slightly above average QB with a losing playoff record, and has never even been to a conference championship. His first go around teams had figured out how to defense him and he failed to adjust. This time teams were already making the adjustments by the end of the season last year.

I am expecting him to be very pedestrian this year as a QB with a few "wow" moments mixed in. Brandon can rub my face in it if I'm wrong.

pbmax
08-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Two years ago, perhaps the best QB coach in the League wanted Vick on his team and there would be no reason for him to push for that risk unless he believed him to be capable of something beyond above average. Something better than McNabb.

Vick last season had a passer rating of 100.2. In his last four games he went 103.3, 90.2, 97.6 and 74.1. In the playoffs versus GB, he pulled a 79.9 and was one shoestring tackle or one very good INT effort by Tramon away from a tie game late. Beaten by a Pro Bowl CB and a desperate Bishop tackle. Let's also not forget he owns the first road playoff win in Lambeau history.

The coverage of Vick's contract was ridiculous. But the contract was handed out by a normally reliable front office and coach. Vick might yet be undone by injury or behavior, but not by averageness.

Brandon494
08-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Who was his top receivers in ATL? Alge Crumpler? When did the Falcons ever have a top defense when Vick played for them? Yea Vick didn't do much in ATL but you have to take in account the talent the team put around him while he was there.

BTW I'm not going to rub it in your face. Its not enough time in the day to gloat when I'm right about a player. :thank:

Brandon494
08-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Two years ago, perhaps the best QB coach in the League wanted Vick on his team and there would be no reason for him to push for that risk unless he believed him to be capable of something beyond above average. Something better than McNabb.

Vick last season had a passer rating of 100.2. In his last four games he went 103.3, 90.2, 97.6 and 74.1. In the playoffs versus GB, he pulled a 79.9 and was one shoestring tackle or one very good INT effort by Tramon away from a tie game late. Beaten by a Pro Bowl CB and a desperate Bishop tackle. Let's also not forget he owns the first road playoff win in Lambeau history.

The coverage of Vick's contract was ridiculous. But the contract was handed out by a normally reliable front office and coach. Vick might yet be undone by injury or behavior, but not by averageness.

Also Jackson missed like half the game with an ankle injury, Eagles couldn't have easily won that game.

pbmax
08-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Who was his top receivers in ATL? Alge Crumpler? When did the Falcons ever have a top defense when Vick played for them? Yea Vick didn't do much in ATL but you have to take in account the talent the team put around him while he was there.

BTW I'm not going to rub it in your face. Its not enough time in the day to gloat when I'm right about a player. :thank:

Just remember that when Tom Crabtree gets his second career playoff TD in January 2012. :)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d81d947b8/Wild-card-playoffs-Packers-vs-Eagles-highlights

Brandon494
08-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Damn I forgot all about Akers missing all those FGs... really is a game of inches.

red
08-31-2011, 05:38 PM
He was and apparently is immensely popular in Atlanta, from what I have read. Didn't he get cheered when the Eagles played at Atlanta after his return?

didn't he also once get in big trouble for flipping off his own fans when they were booing him for being super shitty?

pbmax
08-31-2011, 05:42 PM
didn't he also once get in big trouble for flipping off his own fans when they were booing him for being super shitty?

Seems familiar. But I remember he was cheered more recently when the Eagles visited.

I am not trying to make a case for him to be man of the year, just that there is a sizable audience in his corner. Including multiple players on his current team, Asomugha and Young spoke about wanting to play with him.

red
08-31-2011, 05:42 PM

i remember those days well because i had vick my last 3 years in fantasy football before he went to the can and crumpler two of those years. i remember crumpler being wide open running all over the field, and vick one hoping it to him or throwing it over his head over and over and over again

pbmax
08-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Damn I forgot all about Akers missing all those FGs... really is a game of inches.

I had forgotten about that ARod fumble in the second half.

hoosier
08-31-2011, 07:27 PM
The WC game was also a late first half James Jones drop away from being a blow out. If Jones puts away his alligator arms the Packers are up 21-3 at the half and the complexion of the second half is totally different.

ThunderDan
08-31-2011, 08:18 PM

Of course they sold out Lambeau every year with Randy Wright as QB.

MadtownPacker
09-01-2011, 11:28 AM

If he was such a great QB he would have elevated his team with his arm the way he did it with his feet. But he didn't and he had decent enough talent around him. His teams had sick running games for a while too. Again what is his claim to fame other than beating a decimated Packers squad at Lambeau?

Brandon494
09-01-2011, 02:10 PM
If he was such a great QB he would have elevated his team with his arm the way he did it with his feet. But he didn't and he had decent enough talent around him. His teams had sick running games for a while too. Again what is his claim to fame other than beating a decimated Packers squad at Lambeau?

Decent talent? Crumpler, Joe Horn, Peerlis Price, DJ Tucket, Brian Finneran, and an aging Warrick Dunn. Oh yea they were LOADED!

Also why do you keep bringing up Vick being a great QB? Who said that?? It sure as hell wasn't me. I do think hes a great football player though. The guy is a one of a kind talent and arguably the most exciting player to watch in the NFL.

Zool
09-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Decent talent? Crumpler, Joe Horn, Peerlis Price, DJ Tucket, Brian Finneran, and an aging Warrick Dunn. Oh yea they were LOADED!

Also why do you keep bringing up Vick being a great QB? Who said that?? It sure as hell wasn't me. I do think hes a great football player though. The guy is a one of a kind talent and arguably the most exciting player to watch in the NFL.

People aren't going to be able to get past his off the field antics any time soon. I know I haven't. I find it basically impossible to root for a guy who has serious mental issues(my opinion).

Brandon494
09-01-2011, 03:04 PM
What if Michael Vick were white

http://www.bet.com/content/betcom/news/sports/2011/08/25/espn-features-philadelphia-eagles-qb-mike-vick-in-white-face/_jcr_content/featuredMedia/newsitemimage.newsimage.dimg

Zool
09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Then he would run slower and still be able to drown a dog with his bare hands.

SkinBasket
09-01-2011, 03:32 PM
And his nose would be pointier.

mraynrand
09-01-2011, 04:46 PM

http://www.bet.com/content/betcom/news/sports/2011/08/25/espn-features-philadelphia-eagles-qb-mike-vick-in-white-face/_jcr_content/featuredMedia/newsitemimage.newsimage.dimg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/newsfeed/000/166/862/the_best_of_the_white_michael_vick_photoshops.jpg? 1314398485

Brandon494
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM
^ hahaha

MadtownPacker
09-01-2011, 05:57 PM

ARod won the Superbowl with almost the same caliber of WRs IMO. I said decent talent and that is what he had. If he had been a great QB (the position he actually plays) then he would have went farther. Instead he is just a fast dude who can chuck it deep. Not much to get excited about IMO.

SkinBasket
09-01-2011, 06:19 PM
ARod won the Superbowl with almost the same caliber of WRs IMO. I said decent talent and that is what he had. If he had been a great QB (the position he actually plays) then he would have went farther. Instead he is just a fast dude who can chuck it deep. Not much to get excited about IMO.

You're only saying that because he's black and he murdered dogs. He has greatly improved his mid-range accuracy while in prison. I'm not sure how, but maybe he should share how tossing salads makes one a better passer. Something about finesse I'm sure.

Joemailman
09-01-2011, 06:22 PM

He would have signed in as Ron Idaho.

Brandon494
09-01-2011, 06:41 PM
ARod won the Superbowl with almost the same caliber of WRs IMO.

You on that angel dust again?

pbmax
09-01-2011, 10:58 PM

Not even close. Joe Horn was a good receiver for a different team and a different era. There isn't much else there except at TE.

Vick did not do all he could have to succeed in Atlanta, he has admitted as much. He really seemed to nose dive after Mora took over from Reeves. He fu**ed it up.

But the talent is undeniable, running or throwing. The only question is age and injury. He might not last, and he might have spent his best years in the clink.

MadtownPacker
09-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Not even close. Joe Horn was a good receiver for a different team and a different era. There isn't much else there except at TE.

Vick did not do all he could have to succeed in Atlanta, he has admitted as much. He really seemed to nose dive after Mora took over from Reeves. He fu**ed it up.

But the talent is undeniable, running or throwing. The only question is age and injury. He might not last, and he might have spent his best years in the clink.

Jennings > Crumpler but not by too much considering he was a TE
Joe Horn = James Jones both good for crucial drops
Peerlis Price < Driver but close for most of last year due to injuries
TJ Ducket = Starks these guys arent WRs
Brian Finneran = Jordy both fast White boys that bust out with 100 yd games now and then
Warrick Dunn < Kuhn not by much both caught lots of passes

Maybe I am on dust but I dont see a huge (Superbowl huge) difference.

Brandon494
09-02-2011, 07:05 AM
I stop reading after you said Jenning over Crumpler but not by much.

pbmax
09-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Jennings > Crumpler but not by too much considering he was a TE
Joe Horn = James Jones both good for crucial drops
Peerlis Price < Driver but close for most of last year due to injuries
TJ Ducket = Starks these guys arent WRs
Brian Finneran = Jordy both fast White boys that bust out with 100 yd games now and then
Warrick Dunn < Kuhn not by much both caught lots of passes

Maybe I am on dust but I dont see a huge (Superbowl huge) difference.

Well, there is Finley for starters, though he has missed time, he did play last season. And while Horn was certainly a better receiver than Jones during his stint in New Orleans, he wasn't by his Atlanta days.

Brandon494
09-02-2011, 08:18 AM
My bad, I said Horn but he didn't play for the Falcons until Vick went to jail. It was Michael Jenkins who was on the team. So Price as your #1, Jenkins as your # 2, Finnernan as the #3, and Crumpler at TE.

And your trying to compare that to the Packers receiving corps which is arbuably the best in the NFL? Sorry but I highly disagree. Not to mention also the Falcons never had a top 10 defense with Vick, the past two seasons the Packers have been top 3 in total defense.

imscott72
09-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Here we go..Didn't take long for the money to fuck with his head..

Vick says, “You can’t design a defense to stop me”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/02/vick-says-you-cant-design-a-defense-to-stop-me/

Brandon494
09-02-2011, 10:42 AM
^ haha give me a break

He's saying he isnt the same QB who just runs and if you try to use a spy against him he's just going to dump it off to guys like Deshawn and McCoy. He's not saying that's he's so good that no defense can stop him.

Zool
09-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Here we go..Didn't take long for the money to fuck with his head..

Vick says, “You can’t design a defense to stop me”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/02/vick-says-you-cant-design-a-defense-to-stop-me/

Top post under the article made me laugh

jpb12 says:
Sep 2, 2011 6:36 AM
They don’t have to. The good Lord designed him with hamstrings that last about 9 weeks.

Pugger
09-02-2011, 11:08 AM
If Vick can stay healthy and play lights out then it's a good deal. But history is not on his side. We shall see. All I know is I'd take Rodgers over Vick and ANY OTHER QB OUT THERE including Brady, Brees and Manning (intil Rivers actually wins something he shouldn't be in the conversation).