PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Address could conflict with Packers/Saints

Brando19
08-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Just read on PFT that Obama is going to address the nation on opening night and NBC is caught in the middle of what to do. Leave it to a Bears fan to screw up the Packers opening night!!!

red
08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
god damn politicians

fuck em all

Joemailman
08-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally it was going to be Wednesday night, but Boehner didn't want it that night because of security issues. Sort of puts NBC on the spot if it's Thursday night.

Freak Out
08-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Boehner rejected the Wednesday proposal and suggested Thursday. Fuck them both.

Bretsky
08-31-2011, 07:18 PM
good thing I'll be at the game

hoosier
08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Why NBC? Don't Thursday games belong to NFL Network?

Freak Out
08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Fuckin a bubba. FIND THE BIKINI GIRLS AND DON'T FORGET THE CARAMEL!

Joemailman
08-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Why NBC? Don't Thursday games belong to NFL Network?

The later ones, starting Nov. 10 are on NFLN. This one is NBC.

Old School
08-31-2011, 08:43 PM
I wish he'd make his speech on Thursday. When the Packer game outdraws him 5 to 1, maybe the dip shit will finally get the hint.

Brando19
08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
I wish he'd make his speech on Thursday. When the Packer game outdraws him 5 to 1, maybe the dip shit will finally get the hint.

He is making his speech on Thursday...and it's supposed to be on NBC, the same channel that is broadcasting the Packers game! That means if NBC shows his speech...we won't get to see a big part of the game!!!

Joemailman
08-31-2011, 08:55 PM
My guess is they put the President's speech on MSNBC and CNBC, and the football game on NBC.

gbgary
08-31-2011, 09:01 PM
that's unamerican!

smuggler
08-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Damnnit Bamajama, I don't want to hear more of your shit!

The Shadow
08-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Cut Obama MUP (Mentally Unable to Perform)

Pugger
09-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Good lord, that man makes more speeches than anybody ever! What time is that pontificator supposed to be on? I will be pissed if he interupts the Packer game. If he does I suggest we take back that stock certificate pronto!

GrnBay007
09-01-2011, 02:33 AM
good thing I'll be at the game

B, can you line up an extra 50 tickets or so for your friends at PR??? :)

.....we will luv u forever!

SkinBasket
09-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Boehner rejected the Wednesday proposal and suggested Thursday. Fuck them both.

Boehner only rejected the time because Obama intentionally scheduled this speech to conflict with the GOP debate, just like his [not]campaign bus tour just happened to visit Iowa during the GOP straw poll, and because King Obama did not follow proper protocol, in consulting with the very Congress that he intends to "address" on the date said address is to happen. Apparently Obama forgot he needs to be invited to address a joint session of Congress, he can't just walk in and start yelling at America when it's convenient for him.

As to the game, it seems impossible NBC surrenders the advertising revenue that the first hour of the game generates and essentially blacks out the beginning of the regular season opener, which includes such a wonderfully talented musical line-up, so that the "president" can give another prime time campaign speech. I do wonder if the White House will ask the NFL, like they did the Reagen Library, to change the time of their long standing scheduled event to accommodate Obama's whims.

Tony Oday
09-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Just one more thing this moron is getting wrong...

red
09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
B, can you line up an extra 50 tickets or so for your friends at PR??? :)

.....we will luv u forever!

she'll love you long time for the rest of us

hoosier
09-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Maybe NBC could do a split screen. The audio question would be a little more complex, though.

retailguy
09-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Good lord, that man makes more speeches than anybody ever! What time is that pontificator supposed to be on? I will be pissed if he interupts the Packer game. If he does I suggest we take back that stock certificate pronto!

He'll be on at 7:30 EST, and the game starts at 8:30 EST. Obama is your "pre game" show. lol.

pbmax
09-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Maybe NBC could do a split screen. The audio question would be a little more complex, though.

I can handle this setup. Awkward McCarren and Larrivee works for me.

pbmax
09-01-2011, 09:00 AM
He'll be on at 7:30 EST, and the game starts at 8:30 EST. Obama is your "pre game" show. lol.

Still better than that concert.

Though I will miss Dungy. Pontification aside, his coaching bits with the telestrator are worth tuning in for.

Zool
09-01-2011, 09:08 AM

You know what, I'd rather ignore his rambling than have to ignore Kid Rock's.

Pugger
09-01-2011, 09:10 AM

Let's hope the talking heads on NBC don't decide to rehash everything Obama said afterwards like they usually do! :talk:

Tony Oday
09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Let's hope the talking heads on NBC don't decide to rehash everything Obama said afterwards like they usually do! :talk:

(in my best Madden voice) What you saw and heard there is some one that has no idea what is going on. First he lies one way then he votes another he is really sinking the franchise...Brett Favre

sharpe1027
09-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Both sides are full of it. Obama requesting it during a GOP debate was a crock, but Boehner wasn't man enough to say the real reason he rejected it. Instead he said it was because they had to vote scheduled that evening. I guess congress can't be bothered to come to work an hour earlier.

Skin, the whole argument was about the very request you said Obama didn't give Congress. He followed the protocol, but he did request it on a day that he knew would be controversial.

Now to the more important point. There is no way in hell that NBC will lose even 5 minutes of their prime-time advertising to what amounts to a presidential campaign speech.

SkinBasket
09-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Skin, the whole argument was about the very request you said Obama didn't give Congress. He followed the protocol, but he did request it on a day that he knew would be controversial.

Yeah, it turns out after several weeks of promising this speech, he gave notice to Boehner's office of the proposed date and time, waited a whole two hours, didn't get a response, and announced the date and time to the media. That's not protocol. Scheduling the date jointly is protocol. Waiting for confirmation is protocol. Not to mention, as you say, that it couldn't have been more obvious what he was actually doing.

NBC is still in a tough spot. They've been very liberal under the GE stewardship, and haven't made much of a change since. Certainly they want to cover the speech, which Obama will predictably be 10-15 minutes late for as per his usual, but they're going to lose money on even pre-game advertising if they do cover it. Every bar and sport's fans' TV in the country's going to be tuned to ESPN until game time if NBC's pregame is Obama, and advertisers know that.

sheepshead
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Why on earth do we need another speech? IF he has a plan. Send it to congress already. They'll vote on it. What a show boat. He acts like a Chicago Alderman.

mraynrand
09-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I can't believe people want to watch the Packer game over hearing Obama speak yet again. I can't get enough of the guy. He is hunkalicious:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg20gkHDzd1qdb4q0o1_500.jpg

hoosier
09-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I can handle this setup. Awkward McCarren and Larrivee works for me.

You lucky bastards who get access to Packers radio. Of all things Wisconsin I miss that more than any of them with the possible exception of a cold Spotted Cow.

Zool
09-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Well lets get this thing over to FYI. Its gone astray.

SkinBasket
09-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I can't believe people want to watch the Packer game over hearing Obama speak yet again. I can't get enough of the guy. He is hunkalicious:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg20gkHDzd1qdb4q0o1_500.jpg

Now that is Lincolnesque!

SkinBasket
09-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Well lets get this thing over to FYI. Its gone astray.

Tits. It's about football. Don't be such a butt plumper.

mraynrand
09-01-2011, 01:03 PM
You lucky bastards who get access to Packers radio. Of all things Wisconsin I miss that more than any of them with the possible exception of a cold Spotted Cow.

The wife just returned from WI with assorted beers: spotted cow, Sprecher, Capital, and also cheese curds. First heart attack, here I come!

mraynrand
09-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Now that is Lincolnesque!

Lincoln Log Cabin Republicans!

P.S. excellent use of Lincolnesque...

HowardRoark
09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Can't he just send out a postcard instead of a speech?

http://www.marxists.org/archive/newsholme/1933/red-medicine/photos/page-009.jpg

Tony Oday
09-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Obama has to be invited to congess he cant just say he is coming.

Still sucks i want to see football not some damn politician not telling the truth again!

MadScientist
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
So this whole uproar is about the possibility that NBC will only have a half hour of lame-ass pregame instead of a full hour? WTF and who gives a shit.
Everything else here is FYI crap about the pissing contest between Obama and the Bawling Pumpkin.

Guiness
09-01-2011, 01:48 PM
So this whole uproar is about the possibility that NBC will only have a half hour of lame-ass pregame instead of a full hour? WTF and who gives a shit.
Everything else here is FYI crap about the pissing contest between Obama and the Bawling Pumpkin.

caveat: I'm not from the US, and don't have to watch this shit.

I think everyone's calmed down now that the speech is scheduled for the hour before - originally that wasn't obvious. So, you're right, it's just the pre-game show that will be preempted, and the only real problem is the millions of dollars NBC will lose in ad revenue.

But seriously, the politicians should get a clue. Yes, they're generally out of touch with, but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize that messing with the NFL's opening night is not going to make them any friends.

Pugger
09-01-2011, 02:28 PM

No, the uproar was about the possibility that Obama would be speaking to Congress at the time of the kick-off the NFL season and NBC would air him instead.

Tony Oday
09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
No its having to listen to the worst president in the last 30 years babble about something he has no idea about and might overlap with Packer football. It is shocking how dumb he is...never thought someone could make GW look smart.

Zool
09-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I think I'll put this....right about here

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/fireandashes36/heatsmyballs.jpg

mraynrand
09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I think I'll put this....right about here

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/fireandashes36/heatsmyballs.jpg

You don't need a comma in there - and that's a female meerkat

Here's a male meerkat doing...well, what male meerkats do...

http://www.itsnature.org/Ground/images/article-pics/Meerkat.jpg

Brando19
09-01-2011, 06:58 PM
It still pisses me off that Obama is speaking during the pre-game. A thousand bucks says if the Bears would have won the SB, he wouldn't go on during the pregame and ruin the celebration because the ass hole would BE there!

SkinBasket
09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
A majority of America developed Obama fatigue early due to his penchant for prime time speeches that amounted to nothing more than a self-aggrandizing poetry jam. Fucking with football, even the pre-game of the season opener, is not going to help that, especially given that his talking points have been delivered to the press and it amounts to a continuation of the same policies that have delivered us to this point with a robust dose of blaming Congress as seasoning. Apparently he plans on voicing his "frustration" with the legislature for not passing any of his zero plans that he's proposed.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-01-2011, 08:38 PM
They need to pay him another visit next year

pbmax
09-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Just say the word and we pack up a case with some dry ice and ship it to you. And when I say we, I mean certainly someone could do this ...

pbmax
09-01-2011, 10:26 PM
It still pisses me off that Obama is speaking during the pre-game. A thousand bucks says if the Bears would have won the SB, he wouldn't go on during the pregame and ruin the celebration because the ass hole would BE there!

At least he didn't preempt Two and A Half Men.

pbmax
09-01-2011, 10:27 PM
A majority of America developed Obama fatigue early due to his penchant for prime time speeches that amounted to nothing more than a self-aggrandizing poetry jam. Fucking with football, even the pre-game of the season opener, is not going to help that, especially given that his talking points have been delivered to the press and it amounts to a continuation of the same policies that have delivered us to this point with a robust dose of blaming Congress as seasoning. Apparently he plans on voicing his "frustration" with the legislature for not passing any of his zero plans that he's proposed.

Didn't Boenher propose Thursday?

MJZiggy
09-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Just say the word and we pack up a case with some dry ice and ship it to you. And when I say we, I mean certainly someone could do this ...

I actually can get Spotted Cow out here. Check with your beer seller, Hoosier. They might be able to order some for you. (this may be the only advantage to living in a place where they don't allow beer and liquor sales in the grocery store.)

denverYooper
09-01-2011, 11:07 PM
http://www.dogsupplyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/Dog-Whistle.jpg

SkinBasket
09-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Didn't Boenher propose Thursday?

I'm sure Boehner would have welcomed the president on just about any day. I guess Congress doesn't come back until Tuesday or whatever, so I'm sure Obama wants to deliver his secret job boosting plan ASAP, but then again maybe he should have done it like two and a half years ago or something.

HowardRoark
09-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Text released:

“My fellow Americans, when I came into office, I promised to discard the tired dogmas of the past. I vowed to put partisanship aside. I made a solemn pledge to focus single-mindedly on what works. As I’ve said before, what I admired most in Pres. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was his commitment to ‘bold, persistent experimentation.’

“In May of 1932, President Roosevelt proclaimed, ‘It is common sense to take a method and try it; if it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.’

“Well, we have tried many things. A few, I believe, have worked, but honesty and the national crisis both compel me to admit, too many have failed.

“I can blame the mistakes of my predecessor all day long, but the simple truth is that the stimulus effort did not do what I or my own economic advisers said it would.

“Worse, many of the programs and policies inherent to the stimulus were built on fictions. Indeed, much of the money we wasted — at the behest of the Democratic congressional leadership at the time — was never even intended to stimulate so much as bail out programs and local governments.

“Moreover, as I have already admitted, ‘shovel-ready jobs’ were a myth.

“Even more dismaying, much of our green-jobs program agenda has been an indefensible failure. In Seattle, we spent $20 million in the hope of creating 2,000 jobs and weatherizing 2,000 homes. We created 14 jobs and weatherized three houses. In Toledo, Kansas City, and Phoenix combined, we allocated $65 million and created 72 jobs. California got $186 million and created just over 500 jobs.

“I passionately believe we must transition to renewable energy, but it is clear the economy is simply not ready and government is ill-equipped to pick successful companies better than the market can.

“Taxpayers gave $58 million to Evergreen Solar in Massachusetts. It cut 800 jobs and is now bankrupt.

“Just last week, a company my administration touted as the crown jewel of the new green economy, Solyndra Inc., announced plans to file for bankruptcy, despite half a billion dollars in loan guarantees from the federal government.

“I’ve said many times that green jobs cannot be sent overseas. But that, it seems, is not true. We subsidize solar panels here in the U.S., and the Chinese build them at pennies on the dollar and sell them to us.

“However, you cannot drill for American oil in China, and you will never find American natural gas in the Middle East.

“No other country in the world refuses to exploit its natural wealth the way we do. This must end.

“We will take the tax-revenue windfall from new oil and gas exploration and invest it in basic energy and sound climate research in the hope of solving our problems through innovation instead of immiseration.

“Let me be clear: The reason there were no shovel-ready jobs is because government rules and regulations make it difficult to hire people. In California, we wasted seven months sorting out prevailing-wage rates before we could hire green workers. And even then, the relevant regulations were so onerous that the costs of weatherization weren’t worth the effort.

“My fellow Americans, I’ve said many times I believe that government can do amazing things. I still believe that. But after more than two years of bold, persistent experimentation, it has become clear that in this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.”

mraynrand
09-02-2011, 10:07 AM
“Even more dismaying, much of our green-jobs program agenda has been an indefensible failure."

That's when I knew for sure it was a joke. When did Jonah Goldberg become Obama's speechwriter?

mraynrand
09-02-2011, 10:10 AM
In California, we wasted seven months sorting out prevailing-wage rates before we could hire green workers. And even then, the relevant regulations were so onerous that the costs of weatherization weren’t worth the effort.

Waste and inefficiency of this kind make green worker Hulk MAD!

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2008/06/05/hulk460.jpg

imscott72
09-02-2011, 10:26 AM

He wanted to do it on Wednesday. Blame that asshat Boenher on it being Thursday..

Pugger
09-02-2011, 10:50 AM
He wanted to do it on Wednesday. Blame that asshat Boenher on it being Thursday..

So Boenher is an asshat because he asked Obama to change it because it would conflict with the GOP debate that had been on the calendar previously? If the tables were turned and a GOP prez came to a Democratic Speaker asking to address Congress when there was already a Democratic candidates' debate on that date I'm pretty sure that Dem Speaker would ask the GOP prez to change the date of his address just like Boenher did. If Obama already has a proposal why is he waiting? And why does he feel the need to address a joint session of congress when he can tell the nation from the Oval Office or another venue in the White House TODAY instead of waiting for Congress to return on Tuesday?

hoosier
09-02-2011, 11:47 AM

If our late summer heat wave continues beyond this weekend I will most certainly be sending out a distress signal. Feel free to interprete my S-O-S as S-O-I (Spotted on ice).

Ziggy: can't seem to find it locally. Southern Indiana retailers seem to gravitate toward beers from the Northwest. The selection of brews and wine is downright pathetic. Maybe you could convince Schneiders to open up an outlet here.

mraynrand
09-02-2011, 12:25 PM
At least he didn't preempt Two and A Half Men.

He IS two and a half men!!!!

http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/obama-superman-transform-alex-ross.jpg

sheepshead
09-03-2011, 03:33 AM
http://http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/PresidentCheeredDuringJointSession.png

Cheers were heard during the joint session:

sheepshead
09-03-2011, 03:34 AM

sheepshead
09-03-2011, 03:35 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/PresidentCheeredDuringJointSession.png

SkinBasket
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Two more days!

Are you ready for some....

Political campaign speech abrogating any and all responsibility for the state of our nation!?!? Gonna feel like 4th and 85 from the two inch line before the game even starts.