PDA

View Full Version : Shocking cuts!

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2011, 12:38 AM
OK, the idea here is to speculate on some unexpected cuts. Not cuts that are likely, but have a realistic chance of happening. Anybody who suggests Aaron Rodgers or Jon Hoese or other smart-alecky theories is banned from further participation in the thread.

I'll go with:
DJ Williams
James Jones
Nick McDonald

cheesner
09-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Mcdonald would not shock. The first two would be huge shocks.

My shockers are driver and harrel.

gbpackfan
09-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Mcdonald would be a shock to MAKE the team at this point.

gbpackfan
09-02-2011, 12:47 AM
My shocking cuts:

Graham Harrell
Donald Driver
Ryan Grant

Before you guys kill me, I dont think these three will be cut, but they have been discussed before. Harrell sucked tonight (and I dont think he is an NFL QB), Driver has lost a step, has dropped a ton of passes in preseason and there are younger guys thirsty for his spot and Grant is what he is-an average back that makes too much money.

BTW-I love Driver and would be upset if he got released.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2011, 12:50 AM
I think McDonald would shock because of all the happy talk about him in first couple weeks of camps. That and the fact that their other backups at guard and center are also steaming turds on a stick.

Ryan Grant - I think it is unthinkable that he could be cut after his renegotiated contract with guaranteed $$

jmbarnes101
09-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Jarrett Bush... because it'll seemingly never happen.
Charlie Peprah
Brad Jones
Those last two are just a hunch.

cheesner
09-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Jarrett Bush... because it'll seemingly never happen.
Charlie Peprah
Brad Jones
Those last two are just a hunch.

I would be surprised if brad Jones is not cut. Grant would be a huge shock and a huge mistake.

packrulz
09-02-2011, 05:42 AM
James Jones
Quinn Johnson
Pat Lee

Joemailman
09-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Aaron Rodgers
Clay Matthews
Greg Jennings

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Who brought forward all of this homerism about Nick McDonald ? Dude was a prcatice squader last year.
Could the curse of Patler live again...........aka.......Atlas Herrion ?

pittstang5
09-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Who brought forward all of this homerism about Nick McDonald ? Dude was a prcatice squader last year.
Could the curse of Patler live again...........aka.......Atlas Herrion ?

I think it's because the O-line coach and McCarthy were very high on him last year and were excited to see what he could do in his second year. I think the lock out really affected him as well as the development of a lot of players.

Brandon494
09-02-2011, 06:35 AM
People who list James Jones seriously need to stop getting high off cat piss.

Iron Mike
09-02-2011, 06:37 AM
I think it's because the O-line coach and McCarthy were very high on him last year and were excited to see what he could do in his second year. I think the lock out really affected him as well as the development of a lot of players.

http://www.glogster.com/media/5/25/37/26/25372658.jpg

RashanGary
09-02-2011, 07:16 AM
I guarantee DJ Williams doesn't get cut. I'll take 3:1 bets on it.

RashanGary
09-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Pat Lee, Andrew Quarless, Grahm Harrell, Brad Jones, Quinn Johnson, Nick McDonald . . .

EDIT: I looked back at previous posts, and I'll throw Driver on too.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Aaron Rodgers
Clay Matthews
Greg Jennings
BANNED

Bossman641
09-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Brad Jones, Quinn Johnson, Tom Crabtree

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2011, 07:47 AM
I guarantee DJ Williams doesn't get cut. I'll take 3:1 bets on it. he's been up and down. I'm not sure you can keep both Quarless and Williams, you don't need two backup receiving tight ends. I like Quarless's upside a little more, but I have limitted information.

3:1 odds on a long-shot, shocking pick!? You have balls the size of marachino cherries. I'll give you 3:1 odds that Santa Claus is a fake.

Brandon494
09-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Crabtree, Harrell, and B. Jones.

Brandon494
09-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I guarantee DJ Williams doesn't get cut. I'll take 3:1 bets on it.

I'm with you on that.

VermontPackFan
09-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Brandon Chillar
Brady Poppinga
Bret Swain
Justin Harrell

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Brandon Chillar
Brady Poppinga
Bret Swain
Justin Harrell

VPF = persona non grata

imscott72
09-02-2011, 10:09 AM
People who list James Jones seriously need to stop getting high off cat piss.

I'm also on the cut Jones bandwagon. I'd rather see West at this point. I'd also add Harrell, Jones, Lee, Quarless, Crabtree..McDonald isn't a surprising cut to me..

Brandon494
09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
• It should come as no surprise that Aaron Rodgers lobbied for the return of James Jones, who led the Packers in targets, first downs and touchdowns on third down last season.

I like West too but just let's get real here, he's no where near the talent of Jones.

smuggler
09-02-2011, 10:33 AM
No way do we cut Jones in favor of West. Sorry.

MadScientist
09-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I'll go with:
DJ Willliams
Caleb Schlauderaff
Pat Lee

Zool
09-02-2011, 10:50 AM
• It should come as no surprise that Aaron Rodgers lobbied for the return of James Jones, who led the Packers in targets, first downs and touchdowns on third down last season.

I like West too but just let's get real here, he's no where near the talent of Jones.

I think I agree but I guess I'd reserve my judgement on West till he plays against another teams 1's before I'd compare him to Jones. Jones is a proven commodity. If he converts 1 of those 4 dropped easy touchdowns of last year I don't think this is even a discussion. The only problem with Jones is his drops are when he's wide open running down the sideline by himself. Maybe his niche should be crosses, slants and posts?

pbmax
09-02-2011, 11:06 AM
I think coaches make a distinction between practice in shorts, padded practices and preseason game. In the latter two arenas, DJ Williams had a tough time carrying his early momentum forward.

I have no idea if its enough to involve a cut (probably not since he a draft pick) but he might be inactive a whole lot this season.

red
09-02-2011, 11:07 AM

how good is jones really? we might see him as being better then he really is, or we might see him as worse

in reality, he's usually lined up against the other teams 3rd or 4th best cb. not only that, but most teams are watching jennings and giving GJ the double teams. he also has one of the best passers in the nfl throwing him the ball.

now it doesn't seem like he can stay healthy when he needs to be fighting for a spot

and, no other team in the nfl thought he was worthy of going after just a month ago.

he's been in the league for 4 years, never advancing above #3 on the depth chart. never caught more then 50 passes or 5 td's in a season and he's put up average yards.

we do know what we have in him, a number 3 or 4 wr, and not much more. i think if the staff sees potential in west or gurley to be more then a #4 at some point, then they should make the move

gbgary
09-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Aaron Rodgers
Clay Matthews
Greg Jennings

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRD1GnmGoAMUvNRl2eP5ZF6jx5p-4JmbxKE6biJjYIUNS4rE4WmgA

denverYooper
09-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Finley

gbgary
09-02-2011, 11:56 AM
shocking cuts (besides the totally obvious)...driver or james jones would be a shock, grant, clifton, zombo (at a lessor extent), and the toolbelt!

imscott72
09-02-2011, 12:26 PM
how good is jones really? we might see him as being better then he really is, or we might see him as worse

in reality, he's usually lined up against the other teams 3rd or 4th best cb. not only that, but most teams are watching jennings and giving GJ the double teams. he also has one of the best passers in the nfl throwing him the ball.

now it doesn't seem like he can stay healthy when he needs to be fighting for a spot

and, no other team in the nfl thought he was worthy of going after just a month ago.

he's been in the league for 4 years, never advancing above #3 on the depth chart. never caught more then 50 passes or 5 td's in a season and he's put up average yards.

we do know what we have in him, a number 3 or 4 wr, and not much more. i think if the staff sees potential in west or gurley to be more then a #4 at some point, then they should make the move

Couldn't of said it better myself. When we thought Jones was going to sign with Minny, he was "Packers scraps". Now we need him?

RashanGary
09-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I didn't add Jones to mine, but I could see that too. Thing with Jones though. . . He's big, strong, fast, knows the offense, is relatively cheap. . . . . . Driver is really old.

And I like Gurley more than West. He's similar to Ruvell Martin, but a little more sudden and he uses his body a little better. Neither get separation like Jones. West is a poor mans Donald Driver. Does't get away from tackles as well, not as quick (in Driver's prime of course.) Both are NFL receivers. Neither are up to the level of our top 5. I don't think people realize how sudden Jones is. He gets open as well as anyone on the team and he's a beast going up for the ball. Hopefully he can get that over the shoulder thing down. He catches them from Flynn. He caught them from Favre. Rodgers throws a lower deep ball. Jennings handles it. Jones hasn't been able to. He needs to be a little more flexible because the way Finley and Jennings catch it, they turn back and catch it with their hands facing the ball. Their feet are still moving forward, but they twist and catch it facing the ball. Jones tries to get it over his head. That's a tougher catch. He looks a little stiff too. Finley and Jennings are more of that long, smooth, flexible athlete. Jones is a compact RB/WR hybrid. He's sudden but a little more stiff than the other pass catchers on our team. A beast none the less.

RashanGary
09-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd be curious to see us go legit 5 wide with Finley, Jennings, Driver, Nelson and Jones.

Jones has the explosiveness and power of a RB. Nelson is a great blocking WR. We're sure to get dime in that look. 6 DB's and a linebacker. Or 6 DB's, 3 DL and 2 LB's. Regardless, there aren't many big guys on the field. We have as many OL as they have DL and LB's. We're guaranteed to push them off the line, for sure on the right side.

Bring Finley in line. Bring Nelson back as a full back and Jones RB. Run right behind Sitton, Bulaga and Finley in line. Gosh, that seems like a guaranteed 4 yards. That's a line of scrimmage 3 yards down the field and Jones crashing head on into a CB or safety. There are only a handful of DB's in the league I like better than Jones in a head on collision.

Hell, run it just for shits and giggles. See how it works out.

Guiness
09-02-2011, 01:00 PM
James Jones
Quinn Johnson
Pat Lee

I think your second and third choices are probably 50-50 guesses.

Lee didn't do himself any favours last night. One way he could stick is if they IR House and keep him on the squad.

Brando19
09-02-2011, 02:28 PM
How can anyone sit here and say Driver will get cut? Yall are crazy.

OS PA
09-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Micheal Hawkins

Brandon494
09-02-2011, 04:27 PM

I see him for exactly what he is, #2 receiver talent with #4 receiver hands.

-The guy was also 2nd on the team last year in catches.

-His not injured, the coaches know what they have in Jones so of course the younger WRs are getting more playing time.

-You really going to fault him for not advancing above #3 on the depth chart with Jennings and Driver in front of him?

-The lockout definitely screwed a lot of players over. It took a while for Jenkins to get signed as well, does that mean hes not a good player?

-While I like West and Gurley has size but neither have shown to be more talented to Jones.

Guiness
09-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Why is Clifton even getting mentioned here? We have no one even close to ready to step in at that position. Some other guys have seen the field there, but certainly no one has impressed enough that you want him protecting the franchise.

If they can find enough tape to hold him together, there's a 0% chance he is cut.

MJZiggy
09-02-2011, 05:47 PM
They're supposed to be shocking, you see.

VermontPackFan
09-02-2011, 06:51 PM
VPF = persona non grata

Thanks hh, coming from you I will take that as a compliment

bobblehead
09-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Brad Jones. I originally pegged him to win that starting gig, but for the 3rd straight season he has been hurt. MM doesn't like young guys who aren't tough enough to play through it and I think Brad Jones has proven to be soft. buh buh.

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 07:12 PM
He's soft and vastly overrated by many IMO; I'd be fine with him gone

Joemailman
09-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Aaron Rodgers
Clay Matthews
Greg Jennings

Phew! Glad I was wrong.

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Congratulations to cheesner, gbpackfun & Brandon494 for correctly predicting Graham Harrell's demise.

For purposes of this contest, everyone else is a loser.