PDA

View Full Version : SHOCKING CUTS IN NFL--REALITY VERSION

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 05:54 PM
OK, it's about time we start hearing of surprised around the NFL; guys who are decent players who are getting cut for their age or salary.

Where Grant might have been had he not accepted the pay cut.

THROW OUT SOME NAMES AS THE AX'S COME IN; perhaps they might be worth taking a look at as backups (perhaps on the OL) or added to our practice squad.

Fritz
09-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Uh...uh....geezus, I don't even know too many players around the NFL any more.

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 06:29 PM
OK, HERE IS AN OLD FAVE OF PR'S LAST YEAR

52 Cyril Obiozor, LB

CUT BY CARDINALS ON FINAL CUT

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 06:31 PM
TOO BAD THIS GOOD STORY WAS CUT BY THE TITANS

25 Myron Rolle, DB

Freak Out
09-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Please change Bretsky to All Caps Rat or Caramel Rat.

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 06:47 PM
CARAMEL RAT IS COOL

MCLUVIN CARAMEL RAT ?

Fosco33
09-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Chauncey Davis (Falcons DE)

John Clay (UDFA - Steelers, WI)

Stafon Johnson (USC RB who almost died in weightlifting accident, Titans)

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Saddened by John Clay
I think he was the most talented HS RB to ever come out of the state of WI

but something upstair never clicked on and the UW is better off this year without him

TennesseePackerBacker
09-02-2011, 08:59 PM
You damn Badger homers ( I believe they'll finish the year top 5), but Clay never had a chance to stick. He's just way...too...slowwwww

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Clay was fast coming out of HS but he put on weight at the U

Lacked work ethic

Fosco33
09-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Saddened by John Clay

but something upstair never clicked on and the UW is better off this year without him

Michael Bennett?

channtheman
09-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Saddened by John Clay

Could not stand him at UW. Big and slow.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Clay was fast coming out of HS but he put on weight at the U

Lacked work ethic I don't know about work ethic. He got heavy during his injury. But he obviously trained to the max for the pros and still wasn't fast enough. He was far down on the depth chart for Pittsburg, behind another free agent. He probably doesn't have close to pro-level talent.

Partial
09-02-2011, 10:11 PM
You damn Badger homers ( I believe they'll finish the year top 5), but Clay never had a chance to stick. He's just way...too...slowwwww

He was damn fast in HS. He just got fat. I'm pretty sure he was clocked at 4.4 in HS.

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Michael Bennett?

nope; Clay was the much better HS back and more highly thought of at scholarship time

Bretsky
09-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't know about work ethic. He got heavy during his injury. But he obviously trained to the max for the pros and still wasn't fast enough. He was far down on the depth chart for Pittsburg, behind another free agent. He probably doesn't have close to pro-level talent.

let's call a spade a spade. After his freshman year he spiraled downward. His attitude was subpar. He lost dedication and let himself get out of shape. He got back into shape after he left UW. The Badger coaches showed him little love in begging him to come back IMO. They know they were better off without him.

Fosco33
09-02-2011, 11:54 PM
nope; Clay was the much better HS back and more highly thought of at scholarship time

For hs - that may be true.

But as far as career - he was likely the highest drafted RB that grew up in WI and did make the pro bowl with the Vikes.

Guiness
09-03-2011, 12:03 AM
None of the cuts so far have been shocking!

Andy Fantuz was cut by the Bears. Guy tore up the league for the Saskatchewan Roughriders last year. Like 1800 yards. I wanted to see him do well...but then didn't pull for him at all when he went to Chicago!

Don't know why he didn't do well. Saw an article that said he caught two passes in preseason games. I guess he couldn't get separation and wasn't targeted.

Bretsky
09-03-2011, 05:36 AM
For hs - that may be true.

But as far as career - he was likely the highest drafted RB that grew up in WI and did make the pro bowl with the Vikes.

absolutely right
my pt above was he was the best talent coming out of HS in WI
I don't think he's too bright/great student either from rumblings so I was hoping JC could find a home in football even though I was happy he moved on from the U

I wonder if somebody watching the Badgers more years could find another first rounder/RB who grew up in WI

Maybe back in the 50/60's ?

Patler
09-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Saddened by John Clay

Rocky Bleier, I believe Bleier was all-state for three years as a running back, twice 1st team.

Iron Mike
09-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Saddened by John Clay

Alan Ameche??

Fosco33
09-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Alan Ameche??

Sure - as a Badger - can't believe I forgot that. Was he born in WI too?

Harlan Huckleby
09-03-2011, 08:50 AM
let's call a spade a spade.
Bretsky! My, my. That certainly was a shocking cut.

pbmax
09-03-2011, 09:16 AM
He was damn fast in HS. He just got fat. I'm pretty sure he was clocked at 4.4 in HS.

Source? He never struck me as that fast, even as a frosh. Fast for a big back, yes, but not 4.4.

If he truly lost .3 in college, I suspect it had more to do with the injuries than with weight.

Bretsky
09-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Source? He never struck me as that fast, even as a frosh. Fast for a big back, yes, but not 4.4.

If he truly lost .3 in college, I suspect it had more to do with the injuries than with weight.

I think he ran a 4.5 coming into the U
As I recall that was why I was so excited about landing a guy who was recruited nationally. I thought landing him would be like Bo Ryan landing JP Tomoko...which was a pipe dream

I'm not ambitious enough to find the source though so if that matters to you I'd argue you should go find the source stating I'm wrong :)

Iron Mike
09-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Sure - as a Badger - can't believe I forgot that. Was he born in WI too?

Kenosha, apparently.

http://www.kusd.edu/media/pdf/kenosha_book/2004_05/81-85.pdf

I can't feign knowledge of his high-school career, though....

Iron Mike
09-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I can't feign knowledge of his high-school career, though....

Looks like it was pretty good:

http://archives.library.wisc.edu/uw-archives/exhibits/ameche/ameche.html

After leaving the Badgers, Ameche was courted by the Canadian Professional League and was offered $100,000 to wrestle professionally. But he chose to enter the 1955 NFL draft and was selected in the first round by the Baltimore Colts. They offered him more money than they had ever offered a rookie before: $15,000. Their confidence was not misplaced: the very first time he touched the football in a professional game, on September 25, 1955, he ran 79 yards for a touchdown against the Chicago Bears.

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/4/40/Picture0003.jpg

smuggler
09-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Let us all mock the Bears for their ancient, antiquated incompetence!

ThunderDan
09-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Saddened by John Clay

Brent Moss???? He was from Racine. He had a guananteed big contract in the NFL at the time if he wasn't smoking MJ laced with coke. Terrell Fletch played in the NFL from that team for a while but I think he was from St Lious area.

Bretsky
09-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Brent Moss???? He was from Racine. He had a guananteed big contract in the NFL at the time if he wasn't smoking MJ laced with coke. Terrell Fletch played in the NFL from that team for a while but I think he was from St Lious area.

Clay was a much better HS prospect than Moss. I'm not arguing Clay was the best player coming out of the U. My notation was most talnted "HS" RB. Clay's progress in college was a huge disappointment and the Badgers are much better w/o him. Fletcher...wasn't he from New Jersey ? You might be right with St L....I'm not sure

ThunderDan
09-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Clay was a much better HS prospect than Moss. I'm not arguing Clay was the best player coming out of the U. My notation was most talnted "HS" RB. Clay's progress in college was a huge disappointment and the Badgers are much better w/o him. Fletcher...wasn't he from New Jersey ? You might be right with St L....I'm not sure

Are you sure? I thought Moss was the Wisconsin High School player of the year as a junior leading Racine to the state championship.

Bretsky
09-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Brandon Merriweather from UMiaim
Sammie Morris from the Pats

Goodbye

Upnorth
09-03-2011, 10:33 PM
None of the cuts so far have been shocking!

Andy Fantuz was cut by the Bears. Guy tore up the league for the Saskatchewan Roughriders last year. Like 1800 yards. I wanted to see him do well...but then didn't pull for him at all when he went to Chicago!

Don't know why he didn't do well. Saw an article that said he caught two passes in preseason games. I guess he couldn't get separation and wasn't targeted.

If he clears waivers, the Riders are really looking forward to having him back. I am very glad not to see a player I like play for the bears.