PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers Final Cuts Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Packers4Glory
09-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Crabtree is our best blocker and seems to make some plays near the goal line. He's solid. I think we'd be fine w/ 3 TE's. 5 is a bit much.

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Crabtree is our best blocker as a TE, and very reliable
Jones.....not a fan of that guy

Crabtree is also considered to be their best blocker on returns. Jones could be gone when Zombo returns.

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
No claims on any of those guys?

So did I overestimate the abilities of several of them, in the best training camp tradition?

Overestimating is part of it, but you probably just didn't consider that every other team in the league just cut 27 guys, some of which they would have liked to keep as well.

Also, none of our WRs were the best WRs that hit waivers. Teams will put a claim in on the best or second best player at a position but they won't necessarily claim the fifth or sixth best.

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Crabtree is also considered to be their best blocker on returns. Jones could be gone when Zombo returns.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see the Packers cut Jones, and sign a vet interior OL or sign the best interior OL on somebody's PS when Zombo comes back.

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Saw this on another site:

Panthers released OG Bryant Browning. Only significant because TT put in a claim for the former Ohio State offensive lineman four weeks ago.

Anyone know anything about him?

pbmax
09-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Nance was on the active roster for 15 weeks last year. I believe that makes him ineligible for the practice squad.

Forgot about that. Unfortunate.

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2011, 02:00 PM
So, we didn't put any claims in? I thought we'd claim an OL.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
I figure it will take a trade to get non-garbage OL

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
So, we didn't put any claims in? I thought we'd claim an OL.

It's entirely possible that the plan is to play the first game with 8 OL (you wouldn't have dressed 9 anyway) and then sign a veteran OL off the street in between games, since players signed after Week 1 don't have their salaries guaranteed for the year. They may also wait until Zombo is back, cut an OLB, and sign an OL.

pbmax
09-04-2011, 02:07 PM
There is also the possibility that whoever they claimed was awarded to someone else.

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 02:08 PM
There is also the possibility that whoever they claimed was awarded to someone else.

McGinn reported that the Packers put in no claims. That may have been a function of "they're #32 in the waiver priority."

pbmax
09-04-2011, 02:08 PM
McGinn reported that the Packers put in no claims. That may have been a function of "they're #32 in the waiver priority."

I'm batting 1000 this afternoon.

mraynrand
09-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Crabtree is one of our best special teams players, and is our best blocking Tight End. He's the sort of guy that does the dirty work and doesn't complain. Teams need that kind of guy. I suspect he's actually the #3 TE and his roster spot was never the least bit in doubt; DJ Williams is likely the #5 TE at this point, and he was kept because he's a 5th round draft pick and he's probably worth a redshirt year. Don't expect him to be active in any games (before December at least), however.

Brad Jones? I suspect he's #53 of 53 and may not last the week.. He's better in coverage than any of his counterparts at OLB, but he's not really good at the rest of the job these days.

Crabtree > West

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Crabtree > West

Absolutely. The sixth WR on this team won't even play. Crabtree's probably the #3 TE and he's on all the starting ST units, and he's going to play a lot.

pbmax
09-04-2011, 02:41 PM

I just found his Tweet, did he write about it or was it just the mention on Twitter?

Strange that McDonald didn't make it before Dominguez and Genus. He must have really disappointed the coaches.

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I just found his Tweet, did he write about it or was it just the mention on Twitter?

I didn't see it anywhere other than twitter, but I didn't really look either.

Strange that McDonald didn't make it before Dominguez and Genus. He must have really disappointed the coaches.

Disappointed... or punched? It's also possible that he got claimed, not all waiver claims have been reported.

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 03:13 PM
I suspect they see Dominguez has having the most upside of the 3. I suspect they liked Genus at C better than McDonald. He's barely 6 feet tall, so he should have good pad level.

pbmax
09-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Keeping Genus meshes with what KY saw. Dominguez looked overpowered even at Guard. He needs a year.

Perhaps they wait until there is a need. If every available body is the same now, it shouldn't matter. I suspect, however, it was easier for Green to fit in at DT than a new Guard to fit in.

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 03:41 PM
MM live right now on packers.com.

rbaloha1
09-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I think Crabtree is better than many are giving him credit for. He's the best blocking TE on the Packers and it looks like he's worked on his hands over the offseason.

When I watch Crabtree he is often overpowered. IMO Ryan Taylor is a much better blocker.

gbgary
09-04-2011, 05:29 PM
I think Crabtree is better than many are giving him credit for. He's the best blocking TE on the Packers and it looks like he's worked on his hands over the offseason.

i agree. makes plays too. i don't remember ever cussing him. :D

smuggler
09-04-2011, 11:18 PM
I have not seen too much of either blocking, but has Ryan Taylor done *any* blocking against 1st string DEs, yet?