PDA

View Full Version : What player and rookie player looked the best?

BlueBrewer
08-14-2006, 08:43 AM
I did not get to see the game. Did anyone look good, were there any bright spots? :?:

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Jennings made a couple of very nice catches, C. Rodgers didn't drop any punts or kickoffs, and Hawk showed flashes of what he is capable of.

BlueBrewer
08-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Thank you! How did Arod look?

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 09:01 AM

Damn good for his first 10 passes (9 of 10 for 125 yards with 3 scrambles for 21 yards). He then threw an interception--although the play should have been reveresed because Cromartie didn't catch it.

Rastak
08-14-2006, 09:04 AM

Damn good for his first 10 passes (9 of 10 for 125 yards with 3 scrambles for 21 yards). He then threw an interception--although the play should have been reveresed because Cromartie didn't catch it.

Yea, I thought he played pretty well also, given he was under pressure quite often and didn't really have a running game to aid him.

Creepy
08-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Rookies:

Hawk - Played well but not outstanding, will get better with time.

Jennings - Made some good catches and got open, dropped a 4th down pass but overall played well.

Hodge - OK in run support but was horrible in pass coverage.

Culver - PLayed well replacing Underwood, has lots tolearn but good overall performance.

Vets:
Favre & Rodgers - Both played well and made some good throws. Lead offense well but not consistant in opponents side of field. Overall was impressed with both QBs.

Gardner - Played with 2d team but made good catches in crowd.

Woodson - played well and they didn't throw aginst him much. You don't throw if the coverage is good.

Barnett - Made some good hits and flowed to the plays well. If he continues to play like this Hodge may not take over the MLB slot.

These are the players who I thought did OK, but nobody played outstanding ball. The next two games will be nmore revealing than this one.

pbmax
08-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Gardner looked good with two catches (I watched through the third qtr), Hodge made some nice plays in run game but lost a man in coverage.

BlueBrewer
08-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Did Ruvel Martin have any play-time?

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Did Ruvel Martin have any play-time?

He caught a ball. He does have some intriguing talent. I don't know how fast he is, but he's a big receiver who looks the part. Actually, he's quite similar to Boerigter in a lot of ways.

Noodle
08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Good assessment of Martin, Harvey, I agree. Martin plays fast -- he just looks like he's moving at a different pace than the other dudes. I'm guessing they'll keep him and ditch Boe.

I also think folks aren't giving enough love to Jennings to a spectacular sideline catch he had. Pure hands grab away from his body on a tough ball coming back, and a sweet toe drag to get both feet in bounds. Very savy. His "drop" on the 4th down ball looked more to me like a good play by the DB to punch the ball away, which could have been thrown in a better spot.

I'm no Jennings lover, but he showed me the most of the rooks. I though Mr. Tackle, Hodge, looked S L O W in coverage.

Fritz
08-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Good assessment of Martin, Harvey, I agree. Martin plays fast -- he just looks like he's moving at a different pace than the other dudes. I'm guessing they'll keep him and ditch Boe.

I also think folks aren't giving enough love to Jennings to a spectacular sideline catch he had. Pure hands grab away from his body on a tough ball coming back, and a sweet toe drag to get both feet in bounds. Very savy. His "drop" on the 4th down ball looked more to me like a good play by the DB to punch the ball away, which could have been thrown in a better spot.

I'm no Jennings lover, but he showed me the most of the rooks. I though Mr. Tackle, Hodge, looked S L O W in coverage.

I was talking to a friend who said that Hodge reminded him of Bernardo Harris - couldn't catch a plow horse, but was right in the middle of all the running plays that went between the tackles.

Noodle
08-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Fritz is on to something. Between the tackles, Hodge looked to be a tough nut. It's only in pursuit outside and coverage that he looked sluggish.

Of course, it was also his very first friggin game, so you'd think I'd cut the guy some slack.

Partial
08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Fritz is on to something. Between the tackles, Hodge looked to be a tough nut. It's only in pursuit outside and coverage that he looked sluggish.

Of course, it was also his very first friggin game, so you'd think I'd cut the guy some slack.

Nope, we're not going to cut him any slack. In fact, if his 4th week in the training camp if he doesn't leap frog a 4th year player, I say we kick him to the curb and cut him. Colledge looked like a rookie, lets cut him while we're at it, too :wink:

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 03:34 PM
I thought Rich Gannon looked good.

(Why is he doing Packer commentary?)

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 03:36 PM
In my opinion, I don't think any Packer stood out on Saturday night. For some reason, the negatives are more burned in my memory than the positives, mainly because there were FAR more downsides than up to that game. A player would look good on one play, look poor on another. Most players lacked consistency.

But, common theme: it was the first preseason game.

Who knows?

tyler

Pack0514
08-15-2006, 08:56 AM
I thought Rich Gannon looked good.

(Why is he doing Packer commentary?)

tyler

I all seriousness, I didnt think Gannon did a bad job. I didnt know what to expect from him but I'd at least give him a passing grade.