PDA

View Full Version : Predict the Packers Win/Loss Record

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Are you a Kool-Aid drinker, a pessimistic realist, or somewhere in between?

retailguy
09-04-2011, 09:03 AM
19-0 legitimately happens this year! we're gonna win them all, and there won't be any packers tshirts for the somalis!

pbmax
09-04-2011, 09:04 AM
13-2-1.

Its going to happen one day, you just watch.

pbmax
09-04-2011, 09:06 AM
What we should have is a predict the Rats season prediction. Because Iron Mike and RG will have us unbeaten. I will pick 13-2-1. 3irty1 and Bretsky (edit: and Joemailman) will pick 12-4.

Everyone else predicts either 11-5 or 10-6.

wist predicts 9-7.

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 09:07 AM
12-4. I'm tempted to go higher because they could have been 12-4 last year if Arod doesn't get that 2nd concussion. A lot has to go right though to win 13 or more.

Brando19
09-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Saints: Win
@Panthers: Win
@ Chicago: Win
Denver: Win
@ Atlanta: Loss
St. Louis: Win
@ Minnesota: Win
@ San Diego: Loss
Minnesota: Win
Tampa Bay: Win
@ Detroit: Loss
@ New York Giants: Win
Oakland: Loss (My upset of the year)
@ Kansas City: Win
Chicago: Loss
Detroit: Win

Final REGULAR season record: 11-5

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2011, 09:43 AM
12-4

mission
09-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm going with 11-5. Not because I think any less of the team, just see some hiccups along the way. Still see us making a deep run in the playoffs as MMs offense comes around.

Unfortunately I think we're gonna start slow again and everyone will freak out.

If we beat the Saints I'll be more likely to think 12-4, 13-3... I don't like that game more than I don't like games against other top opponents.

smuggler
09-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I think we will beat the Saints, and still be 11-5. Injuries and bad bounces are inevitable, unless your name is Tom Brady and DBs can't catch your picks.

sheepshead
09-04-2011, 10:36 AM
13-3..swagger and far less injuries.

imscott72
09-04-2011, 10:40 AM
12-4 for me too.

channtheman
09-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I put 11-5 only because I've thought we would have better records the previous two years and have been disappointed.

MJZiggy
09-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Put me in for 14-2, please.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-04-2011, 11:08 AM
12-4. The hardest team on the schedule is the Saints in week one. If we beat them and start off strong for once I wouldn't be surprised with 13-14 wins. Need to stay healthy this year though.

Brandon494
09-04-2011, 11:28 AM
14-2

Improved running game, improved special teams, more weapons for Rodgers, and an improved Rodgers... yes he can still get better. :cow:

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Um, there's a poll attached to the thread. Too lazy to vote? :huh:

MJZiggy
09-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Um, there's a poll attached to the thread. Too lazy to vote? :huh:Failure to pay attention. I was too busy lamenting my back yard. How the fuck do you get rid of massive weeds without chemicals? The food garden is back there and I don't want to eat poison, but damn. Just trying to trim bushes is dangerous work.

Back to the task at hand, the Pack are gonna rock.

hoosier
09-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Rent a goat. Or find some deranged deer that like true roughage instead of those cherry-picking mofos that decimate our vegetable garden every summer.

13-3

MJZiggy
09-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Rent a goat. Or find some deranged deer that like true roughage instead of those cherry-picking mofos that decimate our vegetable garden every summer.

13-3
Holy shit if you can't actually rent a goat! http://www.goatfinder.com/renting_goats.htm. You can find anything on the internet.

Packers4Glory
09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
12-4 if they don't have another retarded yr w/ injuries.

Iron Mike
09-04-2011, 03:10 PM
http://doubleplusundead.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/honey_badger.jpg

Not like Honey Badger gives a shit, but I'm calling 16-0....

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 03:16 PM
http://doubleplusundead.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/honey_badger.jpg

Not like Honey Badger gives a shit, but I'm calling 16-0....

Predicting 16-0? You're pretty badass.

gbgary
09-04-2011, 05:38 PM

this!

hoosier
09-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Holy shit if you can't actually rent a goat! http://www.goatfinder.com/renting_goats.htm. You can find anything on the internet.

Only downside to a rented goat: realizing you don't want to know what the last guy did with it.

MadtownPacker
09-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I voted 10-6 due to a midseason slump that will happen before sneaking into the playoffs and tearing shit up.

dahammer001
09-04-2011, 09:44 PM
I think the packers will go 13 and 3 for the season

smuggler
09-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Renting goats is awesome. This thread is awesome!!

wootah
09-05-2011, 01:59 AM
12-4

On topic: Did you know that the Moroccans were the first people who invented and used the condom, about 2000 years ago? They used the intestines of a goat for this. Many years later, around the 1880's, the British refined this technique by first removing the intestines from the goat.

mmmdk
09-05-2011, 04:20 AM
10-6 with Saints marching in on thursday!

bobblehead
09-05-2011, 10:01 AM
My prediction for the season is that by week 4, we are 2-2. MM has averaged 13.7 running plays a game at this point. I make my standard week 5 post about defenses teeing off on our QB, not honoring the run, our OL being on their heels and tiring out down the stretch because of it, yada yada yada.

PB, and many others tell me I am nuts and its a passing league. They explain to me that 3 screen plays a game is a great substitute for the run game. They let me know that no one runs the ball anymore....ever. At the end of the season, we have figured out how to run the ball enough to keep our OL fresh, wear down defenses, and keep them honest. We sneak into the playoffs and get to the superbowl where we meet the run first, stop the run first Pittsburg Steelers. Rodgers is brilliant, and Grant gets 19 carries for 75 yards (7 in the first quarter). Everyone says "I told you so, its a passing league".

hoosier
09-05-2011, 10:18 AM
My prediction for the season is that by week 4, we are 2-2. MM has averaged 13.7 running plays a game at this point. I make my standard week 5 post about defenses teeing off on our QB, not honoring the run, our OL being on their heels and tiring out down the stretch because of it, yada yada yada.

PB, and many others tell me I am nuts and its a passing league. They explain to me that 3 screen plays a game is a great substitute for the run game. They let me know that no one runs the ball anymore....ever. At the end of the season, we have figured out how to run the ball enough to keep our OL fresh, wear down defenses, and keep them honest. We sneak into the playoffs and get to the superbowl where we meet the run first, stop the run first Pittsburg Steelers. Rodgers is brilliant, and Grant gets 19 carries for 75 yards (7 in the first quarter). Everyone says "I told you so, its a passing league".

If you actually look at the numbers you will see that since 2007 McCarthy's gameplans have shown a lot more interest in balance than you're implying. If you want to predict dysfunction followed by magical transformation, you should be saying that the Packers will start out running the ball so badly that you'd think they were sending Brandon Jackson into a stacked goal-line defense every play, but that by the second half the backs are starting to look like Edgar Bennett in the mud.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2011, 10:28 AM
I looked at the poll graph and it appears to be giving me the finger. why the hostility?

Joemailman
09-05-2011, 10:33 AM
In the first 4 games last year, the Packers averaged 24 rushes per game for about 94 YPG. Despite the slow offensive start, the Packers would have started out 4-0 if not for the 18 penalty fiasco at Chicago. Then the injuries really started to pile up. My sense is that an over-reliance on the long pass early in the year has been a problem. I think the offense works better when Arod is getting rid of the ball quickly, avoiding sacks and letting his receivers make plays.

AtlPackFan
09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
11-5. No logical reason....just what I feel.

bobblehead
09-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I looked at the poll graph and it appears to be giving me the finger. why the hostility?

you simply must STOP reading between the lines.

bobblehead
09-05-2011, 07:27 PM
In the first 4 games last year, the Packers averaged 24 rushes per game for about 94 YPG. Despite the slow offensive start, the Packers would have started out 4-0 if not for the 18 penalty fiasco at Chicago. Then the injuries really started to pile up. My sense is that an over-reliance on the long pass early in the year has been a problem. I think the offense works better when Arod is getting rid of the ball quickly, avoiding sacks and letting his receivers make plays.

Lets subtract Arod running for his life and get accurate numbers. Thru 6 games they averaged 18 rushing attempts per game. The first 2 they had 28 to beat Philly and 20 in a blowout of buffalo. Then they ran a whopping 13 times and lost to Chicago. 18 times in damn near losing to detroit, but at the end of the game they ran it 8 times in the final drive to seal it. By running it 10 times the first 3 1/2 quarters they almost blew a nice lead provided by a CWood pick6. In the first quarter they did run it very effectively. Week 5 was a huge 13 rush attempts in a loss. Bjack was tearing Washington a new one at 11 yards a pop though. I admit that Arod's concussion and bad officiatiing lost this game as well as the next one where we ran 17 times at Miami.

My point is this, and I was having a bit of fun in my 2011 predictions. There are times when MM forgets that we are allowed to hand the ball off. Often times he goes 2 quarters calling about 1 or 2 running plays and the result is that defenses T off and our OLine is put in a no win fight resulting in Arod getting mauled. All I really ask is that we cut down on the 1st and 10 empty backfield shotgun formations.

Joemailman
09-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I would agree that MM does sometimes seem to abandon the running game. As for last year, losing Grant might have had a lot to do with it. Jackson and Kuhn didn't make anyone forget Ahman Green. If he's not running it much this year with a healthy Grant and Starks, I'll join the chorus of those saying run the ball.

By the way, I was at the Detroit game, and the Packers simply didn't have the ball much as the Lions controlled the ball with a short passing game. The Packers only ran 38 offensive plays all day. They actually ran it more than they threw it.

ThunderDan
09-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I would agree that MM does sometimes seem to abandon the running game. As for last year, losing Grant might have had a lot to do with it. Jackson and Kuhn didn't make anyone forget Ahman Green. If he's not running it much this year with a healthy Grant and Starks, I'll join the chorus of those saying run the ball.

By the way, I was at the Detroit game, and the Packers simply didn't have the ball much as the Lions controlled the ball with a short passing game. The Packers only ran 38 offensive plays all day. They actually ran it more than they threw it.

I was at that game also. After the game it felt more like the Packers lost than won. If our D didn't stop Lion drives for FGs it would have been a horrible result.

pbmax
09-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I would point out that correlation does not mean causation, but them someone is going to feel compelled to begin to post graphs about pirates.

Teams run when they win because when they are winning, they run to not risk losing possession and to kill clock. Not all games work out that way, but the majority do. Running is a low risk, low reward strategy. It makes less sense when the score is close than when one team has a lead.

And it surpasses understanding how banging bodies together at the LOS on a designed run call is more tiring that making D lineman and LBs run all over the field (after a typical pass rush) to then chase Rodgers. What wears teams out more, running or passing? Judging by the O line in preseason, the no huddle was wearing out both sides of the line.

Brohm
09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
13-3, we'll have some clunkers in there.

Joemailman
09-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I would point out that correlation does not mean causation, but them someone is going to feel compelled to begin to post graphs about pirates.

Teams run when they win because when they are winning, they run to not risk losing possession and to kill clock. Not all games work out that way, but the majority do. Running is a low risk, low reward strategy. It makes less sense when the score is close than when one team has a lead.

And it surpasses understanding how banging bodies together at the LOS on a designed run call is more tiring that making D lineman and LBs run all over the field (after a typical pass rush) to then chase Rodgers. What wears teams out more, running or passing? Judging by the O line in preseason, the no huddle was wearing out both sides of the line.

I think what wears out a defense is the inability to get off the field. It may not matter whether the opponent is primarily running or passing. I do think teams that can run the ball have a better chance at putting together long drives that will tire a defense.

bobblehead
09-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Say what? Its not a chorus, its a solo performance. :P As I pointed out BJack averaged 11 a carry in the one game we had 13 carries in. I am not talking about how a play ended up. In the Detroit games we called MANY more passes than we did rushes. We just ended up with ARod running scared as the D wasn't honoring the run.

woodbuck27
09-05-2011, 08:43 PM
OUR team should do very well and I mean given that we don't suffer extreme adversity. If we get a running game look out 'the rest of the NFL'. We need to get going on the ground. That will allow for more flexibility managing the clock and keep OUR 'D' off the field....and over the long haul that should translate into less injuries...but that might be offset by the effects long term of the LOCK OUT; all of the teams face that issue. We're going to see lots of neww faces in the NFL this season as regulars go down and the replacements step up.

I see a slow start till we get some jelling on our lines. Then we get it together.

Saints: L
@Panthers: W
@ Chicago: L
Denver: W
@ Atlanta: L
St. Louis: W
@ Minnesota: W
@ San Diego: L
Minnesota: W
Tampa Bay: W
@ Detroit: W
@ New York Giants: L
Oakland: W
@ Kansas City: W
Chicago: W
Detroit: W

GO PACKERS !

bobblehead
09-05-2011, 08:43 PM

How many running plays out of the no huddle? I played OL, and trust me, backpeddling and trying to control a maniac intent on killing your QB while at a full head of steam is more tiring and painful to the OL than it is to the DL. Run plays however allowed me to fire out of my stance and drill the DL before he got set. Then I could have him off balance and push him around while he resisted MY forward momentum.

No comparison as to which is more tiring and difficult for and offensive lineman. Add to it that when the D stops even THINKING about the run, their charge is even more fierce to defend when the OL is backpeddling.

Hopefully it isn't surpassing your understanding now.

As for the self fullfilling prophecy, there is some truth to that....except that in my examples of games we lost or almost lost while not running the ball entailed us having a lead most of the game.

swede
09-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks, Brandon. I borrowed your formatting :)

@ Chicago: Loss
@ San Diego: Win
@ New York Giants: Loss
Oakland: Win
@ Kansas City: Win big (Haley blows a blood vessel and bleeds from the eyes as he screams at staff.)
Chicago: Win Big (Coach Lovey looks cold and friendless. Bears fans question whether or not he could beat Ditka in a footrace.)

Final REGULAR season record: 12-4

KYPack
09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I'm a boring 11-5 guy. I always predict 10 - 6. I've been right even in 2008. I didn't say 10 wins and 6 losses, just 10-6.

This year I raise it one win to 11-5.

I also predict the poster that has the best prediction will bump the thread at the end of the year.

pbmax
09-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I think what wears out a defense is the inability to get off the field. It may not matter whether the opponent is primarily running or passing. I do think teams that can run the ball have a better chance at putting together long drives that will tire a defense.

On this I can agree. It always helps in the long run to be able to do a number of things so the defense cannot focus on one area. And in presenting multiple threats, you probably increase the chances of a long drive. But running is simply one option, and its value is primarily that it is slow death for the defense (and the clock) if they cannot stop it late in a game to get more possessions.

MJZiggy
09-05-2011, 10:04 PM
I chose high this year because it seems to me that this team has just been finding ways to win. Even in preseason, they're about winning more than just seeing what the kids can do. I believe it will carry over to the regular season.

pbmax
09-05-2011, 10:06 PM
How many running plays out of the no huddle? I played OL, and trust me, backpeddling and trying to control a maniac intent on killing your QB while at a full head of steam is more tiring and painful to the OL than it is to the DL. Run plays however allowed me to fire out of my stance and drill the DL before he got set. Then I could have him off balance and push him around while he resisted MY forward momentum.

No comparison as to which is more tiring and difficult for and offensive lineman. Add to it that when the D stops even THINKING about the run, their charge is even more fierce to defend when the OL is backpeddling.

Hopefully it isn't surpassing your understanding now.

As for the self fullfilling prophecy, there is some truth to that....except that in my examples of games we lost or almost lost while not running the ball entailed us having a lead most of the game.

I am not saying its better for the O lineman. The no huddle wears them too, but long plays cause the defense as a whole to do a lot more running as they cannot stop until the play is dead. And if its a broken pass play and the QB takes off, its doubly true for the D line and LBs chasing than it is for the O lineman.

Having played both lines, I got far more tired running around on D than as an O lineman. As for a running game beating and wearing down a defense, it depends on who is delivering the beating. In the Packers case, its not usually the Pack. Its also an emotional issue. When you have more success, you want to play more and that lines up with the offense's wishes. On D, you want to play less, and playing more means you are having less success on a drive.

Brando19
09-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks, Brandon. I borrowed your formatting :)

@ Chicago: Loss
@ San Diego: Win
@ New York Giants: Loss
@ Kansas City: Win big (Haley blows a blood vessel and bleeds from the eyes as he screams at staff.)
Chicago: Win Big (Coach Lovey looks cold and friendless. Bears fans question whether or not he could beat Ditka in a footrace.)

Final REGULAR season record: 12-4

No problem! I like seeing what people think game by game. I see you have the Packers losing to the Giants, but beating the Chargers. I think the Giants are going to be a team that's under .500 this year, but I guess that's why they play the game. The Giants could go undefeated for all I know.

swede
09-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I figure Chicago is always a freaking war. The NFC championship thing galls them. They will save some trick plays and new wrinkles just for us along with being foaming at the mouth psyched-up. I figure another loss in the first half of the schedule, maybe Atlanta--maybe SanDiego as we lose focus or have trouble adjusting to a key injury. Detroit is going to be a handful at home, and I picked the Giants as the late season trip up before needing to get serious and win home field advantage in the playoffs. I'm less a metrician and more of an intuitionist when it comes to picking games.

I do think 13-3 is more likely than 11-5 in an injury free season, but I didn't want to spoil my chance to give Harlan the finger.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-05-2011, 11:05 PM
I went with 12-4 like most everyone else who voted. Patler at 7-9 though? Say it ain't so.

King Friday
09-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Earlier in preseason, I was expecting 12 wins. I'm going to back off that a little to 11 prior to the regular season as I just don't have the confidence in the trenches to give them 12 wins. Maybe the OL starts playing well once the games count, but they gave up far too many negative plays in preseason for my taste. Also a little worried about getting pressure on opposing QBs, but I trust Dom to find a way to bring the heat.

Joemailman
09-05-2011, 11:26 PM
About 64% pick the Packers at 12-4 or better, which would likely be enough for a 1st round bye. About 95% think the Packers will likely make the playoffs.

Still waiting for Patler to offer an explanation f0r 7-9. :crazy:

MadtownPacker
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Cuz maybe that's what you deserve for being a shit stirring piece of crap?

I'm just saying.

MJZiggy
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Cuz maybe that's what you deserve for being a shit stirring piece of crap?

I'm just saying.

I'd add to your reputation for that, but I know you like it where it is...

Deputy Nutz
09-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Saints: loss
@ Chicago: Win
@ San Diego: Loss
@ New York Giants: Win
@ Kansas City: Loss
Chicago:Win

Pretty easy schedule for returning Super Bowl Champs

mraynrand
09-06-2011, 07:12 PM

http://www.balloon-juice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/newwtc.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I'd add to your reputation for that, but I know you like it where it is... you're going to go far in this world

Joemailman
09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
The 11-5's are catching up to the 12-4's.

pbmax
09-06-2011, 08:04 PM
http://www.balloon-juice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/newwtc.jpg

That design would have had my vote.

mraynrand
09-06-2011, 08:33 PM
That design would have had my vote.

In a different time, it would have happened.

Reminds me of that sequence from Good Will Hunting:

Will: He used to just put a belt, a stick, and a wrench on the kitchen table and say, "Choose."
Sean: Well, I gotta go with the belt there.
Will: I used to go with the wrench.
Sean: Why?
Will: Cause fuck him, that's why.

Pugger
09-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Failure to pay attention. I was too busy lamenting my back yard. How the fuck do you get rid of massive weeds without chemicals? The food garden is back there and I don't want to eat poison, but damn. Just trying to trim bushes is dangerous work.

Back to the task at hand, the Pack are gonna rock.

Did you ever try Preen? http://www.preen.com/products/preen-vegetable-garden-weed-preventer

Pugger
09-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I debated between 12-4 and 11-5 and ended up going for 12-4. Just a gut feeling, nothing more.

MJZiggy
09-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Did you ever try Preen? http://www.preen.com/products/preen-vegetable-garden-weed-preventer

I'll have to pick some of that up and use it in early spring. Though it will lay the back yard bare. I'm also considering shrubs on the hill at the side of the house as well. Shade the little suckers out.

sharpe1027
09-07-2011, 06:55 PM
10-6.

Meaningless prediction: There is a mad rush of people jumping off of the bandwagon during the season, but they make the playoffs and win at least 2 games.

MJZiggy
09-07-2011, 07:48 PM
10-6.

Meaningless prediction: There is a mad rush of people jumping off of the bandwagon during the season, but they make the playoffs and win at least 2 games.
No, that was last year, dear.

Bossman641
09-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Saints: W
@Panthers: W
@ Chicago: W
Denver: W
@ Atlanta: L
St. Louis: W
@ Minnesota: W
@ San Diego: L
Minnesota: W
Tampa Bay: W
@ Detroit: L
@ New York Giants: L
Oakland: W
@ Kansas City: W
Chicago: W
Detroit: W

12-4

sharpe1027
09-08-2011, 01:03 AM
No, that was last year, dear.

That must be why my prediction was so spot on.

Joemailman
12-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Iron Mike and Retailguy are eliminated. Damn Kool-Aid drinkers!

Iron Mike
12-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Iron Mike and Retailguy are eliminated. Damn Kool-Aid drinkers!

I'm getting closer every year!!!!

MadtownPacker
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Haha! I was thinking about this thread and your 16-0.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 06:59 PM
I am still in the running but I hope I don't win at 13-3.

Tarlam!
12-18-2011, 11:11 PM
I didn't vote or predict anything. I always jinx it when I do shit like that.

Iron Mike
12-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Fire Slocum!!!

Tarlam!
12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
And fire Campen! That broken leg to Sherrod is CLEARLY his fault!

Upnorth
12-21-2011, 08:48 AM
So is Buluga's knee.

I am suprised I did not vote in this, I would have went 12-4. In other words I was wrong again.

It is awesome that the 16-0 crowd was not eliminated till week 15.

gbgary
12-21-2011, 09:45 AM
i guessed 14-2. hope it's 15-1!

bobblehead
12-21-2011, 09:55 AM
I am still in the running but I hope I don't win at 13-3.

right there with ya....kinda looking forward to being wrong at this point.

ThunderDan
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
THE WINNERS ARE: GEX AND GB007

pbmax
01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
7 and 9? :lol:

Be honest; making a point, specific doubt or just playing the odds of winning the poll?