PDA

View Full Version : Bears Sign Meriweather

Fritz
09-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Well, what do you think about this move? There were some posters here who wanted the Pack to take Meriweather in the 2007 draft despite his antics at Miami.

Wonder why the hooded one cut him. Was it strictly a drop-off in play, the emergence of a young gun to take the spot, or locker-room issues - or a combination?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-sign-former-patriots-safety-meriweather-20110904,0,192499.story

red
09-04-2011, 11:55 AM
that's not so good

i think i remember hearing something about an off field issue this off season. like a weapons charge or something

i just looked it up, he was involved in a shooting, but was later cleared of all charges

don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

bears got a hell of a player though

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/09/04/meriweather_cut_loose_by_patriots/

The Patriots did little to quiet the talk of their unhappiness with Meriweather during training camp by bringing in free agent Dashon Goldson for a workout - and offering him a contract, though Goldson opted to re-sign with the 49ers - and having veteran Darren Sharper, an All-Pro each of the last two seasons, in for a workout.

Then there were the days toward the end of camp when Meriweather saw the majority of his snaps with the first-team defense go to Sergio Brown. Thursday night, in the preseason finale against the Giants, Meriweather didn’t take the field on defense until after halftime; instead, Josh Barrett, getting his first game action for New England, started the game with Patrick Chung in the defensive backfield. Brown came on when Barrett came off in the first half.

vince
09-04-2011, 07:53 PM
hoodie don't take no shit. I'd like to see him throw a few more guys off the team. A little turmoil might help his team turn into the mess it's gonna become. They haven't drafted worth a shit the last 5 years or so. TT schooled him bigtime a couple times on draft day to snag Jennings and Matthews right out from underneath him.

And how great will this be if it blows up in the Bears' face?

smuggler
09-04-2011, 11:09 PM
I think it's funny that Belichik waited until cut-down day to dump Meriwether, since it's pretty damaging vs cutting him early in camp. He really must have been pissed at him. I heard he was not in very good shape to start camp.

This actually plays into our hands a little bit, since they will likely be playing Meriwether in three weeks when we play them, and 1.) he cannot cover for shit, and 2.) he won't have adequate time to learn the tampa-2. The downside is that he does hit kind of hard, but he also is known for his terrible tackling angles, so...

Wee!! Bombs to Jennings and Finley!

mraynrand
09-05-2011, 07:59 AM
And how great will this be if it blows up in the Bears' face?

It could. Somehow I have this terrible vision of a Charles Martinesque type of an incident happening.

smuggler
09-05-2011, 09:44 AM
If he Charles Martins ARod, someone should Tonya Harding his knees. >=C

KYPack
09-05-2011, 12:23 PM
If he Charles Martins ARod, someone should Tonya Harding his knees. >=C

That's a new PR record. Two "people verbs" in a 1 sentence post.