PDA

View Full Version : Practice Squad

Iron Mike
09-04-2011, 01:22 PM
According to this article:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-sign-eight-players-to-practice-squad/4ab7dd20-7c56-462c-98aa-a51bb389ac9a

Packers have signed the following players to the practice squad: Diondre Borel, Ray Dominguez, Sampson Genus, Tori Gurley, Graham Harrell, Brandian Ross, Brandon Saine and Chastin West.

Thoughts?

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I suspect that they expected one of the three WRs to get claimed. There was supposed to be a spot for Jon Hoese (since what are we going do do if Kuhn gets hurt, or guns down a half-dozen federal agents in drug-deal gone bad?), but I'm guessing they were surprised when absolutely none of the younguns they wanted to keep got claimed.

Good to see Saine and Dominguez kept, especially. Dominguez is at least a year away, but he can be a player.

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 01:29 PM
It's been discussed a bit in the Final Cuts thread, but I'm happy they kept Gurley and West. A little surprised they kept Borel. Genus could end up on the 53 man roster this year if anybody gets hurt.

MJZiggy
09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I bet West finds himself on the 53 by midseason.

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 01:45 PM
I bet West finds himself on the 53 by midseason.

Which of the 5 WRs is going to get hurt? I hope none of them, but I can't imagine a situation other than "one of the top 5 gets hurt" in which West gets elevated to the roster.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Thoughts? holy shit, they got Harrell, Gurley and West back? sounds too good to be true. Of course they may yet be signed to somebody's roster.

BTW, the practice squad will look different in a few days I suspect.

gbpackfan
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
That is a really nice PS. I would have liked to see the young FB make it, but I suspect the Packers feel they can find a FB off the street if they need one in a pinch. Great job TT. I love that Gurley and Saine made it to the PS!

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2011, 02:14 PM
google says that PS players make minimum of $5200 per week, including possible extra weeks in playoffs. Not a bad gig, can make enough to support yourself year-round.

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 02:15 PM
That is a really nice PS. I would have liked to see the young FB make it, but I suspect the Packers feel they can find a FB off the street if they need one in a pinch. Great job TT. I love that Gurley and Saine made it to the PS!

Well I think the thinking is that they would only add a FB to the roster if Kuhn is hurt. But if Kuhn is hurt, they could sign a FB from anybody's practice squad (e.g. Shane Bannon is a FB on the Chiefs PS, so they do exist) so you don't necessarily need to keep one around on your own PS if you don't need a second FB to run practice.

red
09-04-2011, 04:12 PM
glad they got to keep gurley and west

i see a future for those two

rbaloha1
09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Surprised all the receivers made it back to the ps. IMO Borel has the most upside -- still learning the position as a recently converted qb.

Gurley is a better Ruvell Martin and possible insurance in the event Jordy Nelson is not resigned.

gbgary
09-04-2011, 05:26 PM

yup. let's hope one or both aren't taken by someone.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2011, 07:32 PM

perhaps in two weeks when Driver's body falls apart again. Guy was broken most of last season, now needs injections in preseason to salvage arthritic ankle.

Wake up and smell the bengay, Donald Driver Fan Club! He's got a lot of heart, but you need healthy ligaments too.

Bretsky
09-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Surprised all the receivers made it back to the ps. IMO Borel has the most upside -- still learning the position as a recently converted qb.

Gurley is a better Ruvell Martin and possible insurance in the event Jordy Nelson is not resigned.

Not saying much; Ruvell Martin sucked

KYPack
09-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Ray Dominguez and Sampson Genus were the two best back-up OL's among the rooks, definitely. Genus is an ugly player, but he gets the job done. The other guys that were cut just couldn't hack the program.
Our PS has some players with potential.

Joemailman
09-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Sampson is listed at 6-0, 315. I wonder if he's taller if he lays on his side.

KYPack
09-04-2011, 08:32 PM
The guy looks like a giant midget.

He's the kind of guy who probably won't ever be a superstar, but he has a lot of skills. He's a decent guard, good pass pro and he is an excellent snapper in the gun.

That said, I hope we never have to play him.

vince
09-04-2011, 08:55 PM
The guy looks like a giant midget.

He's the kind of guy who probably won't ever be a superstar, but he has a lot of skills. He's a decent guard, good pass pro and he is an excellent snapper in the gun.

That said, I hope we never have to play him.
I seem to remember his coach saying that he is the quickest and most powerful center off the snap that he's ever seen. Maybe that doesn't take a lot considering where he came from but it got my attention. He's no more 6'0" than Scott Wells is 305 or whatever he's listed at, He's hard to follow unless you want to watch every play five times he's so short, but but that's not a bad thing if he can handle a serious bull rush.

Wells is starting to get up there, and I think his contract is up after this year if I'm not mistaken. He needs to be re-upped or Samson needs to get his groove on. He'll get one year and he needs to get really good or he's probably gone too.

Lurker64
09-04-2011, 08:57 PM

His accurate height taken at his pro day is 6'0 5/8", if that 5/8" makes a difference. 315 is supposedly an accurate weight.

vince
09-04-2011, 09:01 PM
His accurate height taken at his pro day is 6'0 5/8", if that 5/8" makes a difference. 315 is supposedly an accurate weight.
Looking at him on the field, that's really hard to believe. He's easily shorter than everyone else on the field.

D.J. Smith looks taller than Samson to me watching them in practice. Maybe his squattiness is deceiving. Maybe he was on his tiptoes when he got measured and the guy measuring him thought this short bastard from Bemidjee would never make it in the NFL so he gave him the benefit of the doubt.

smuggler
09-04-2011, 11:14 PM

The milk. Right out my nose.

KYPack
09-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Not only did Gunus make the PS, they gave him a righteous number. He did have the number 56, which screams "I'm the last OLineman on the totem pole". They flipped the numbers, Sampson Genus is now #65 in your program, #1 in your hearts.

I'm gonna watch for him in sweats on the sideline on Thursday. I figure he's 5'11" or so. Short, bad body kinda guy.

pbmax
09-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Not only did Gunus make the PS, they gave him a righteous number. He did have the number 56, which screams "I'm the last OLineman on the totem pole". They flipped the numbers, Sampson Genus is now #65 in your program, #1 in your hearts.

I'm gonna watch for him in sweats on the sideline on Thursday. I figure he's 5'11" or so. Short, bad body kinda guy.

The new Tauscher. I thought you would be glad he made it. You mentioned him a couple of times during the preseason.

KYPack
09-05-2011, 01:28 PM
The new Tauscher. I thought you would be glad he made it. You mentioned him a couple of times during the preseason.

Even I don't give him respect, I spelled his name wrong in the start of my post. He's ugly and short, but he understands interior line play. He's a back-up G, but he was basically a Center his whole college career. None of the other goofs we had playing LG other than Lang understood the basics of G play.

Genus did and it landed him on our PS, while the other guys are now in other Zip codes. He knew the basics of run blocking and pass pro. Usually that's not much, but he was head and shoulders the best back-up guard in Pre-season. Playing G is not subtle pass pro. You've got to fire out and protect against the inside rush. He has really good feet and is always in good position. In one of the Pre-season games, we were in the red zone. They ran an "X" on Genus, with his tackle charging to the outside and an OLB looping to the middle on a blitz. Genus got in great position, let the DT go to the outside and protected the middle. Showing good patience, Genus held his ground and flat stoned the blitzing backer. The pocket stayed intact for Harrell to toss a TD strike to one of the young WR's.

I know the coaches watching that tape had to go, "Fuck, this ugly little stump is our best back-up G, now we've got to keep him around".