PDA

View Full Version : SI.COM Training-camp postcard: Vikings

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 09:47 AM
So the postcard is about the Vikings camp and the full article can be found at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tim_layden/08/13/postcard.vikes/index.html?cnn=yes if you really want to read it, but the piece I'd like to comment on is attached. It is an indirect dig at the Packers, or, more indirectly, MM... Hasn't MM tried to "tighten up the loose Packer ship"? Maybe its not working so well...

3. I've now visited the four NFC North training camps in the last seven days. The common theme is obvious: Change. Three new coaches, three franchises rebuilding. Through the microscope, the Vikings and Lions share a more precise vibe. Both coaches -- the Lions' Rod Marinelli and the Vikes' Childress -- have made a priority of tightening up a loose ship.

Childress wears gym-teacher shorts, a push-broom mustache, maintains laser eye contact and will tear your hand out of the wrist if you don't match the intensity of his handshake. (I was ready. Papa Layden always preached: Give 'em a grip; No dead fishes in this house). Like Steve Mariucci in Detroit, Tice was one of the boys. Childress is not. It will be fascinating to see if it works. Both the Lions and Vikings have talent. (The Vikings have more).

Rastak
08-14-2006, 10:22 AM
So the postcard is about the Vikings camp and the full article can be found at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tim_layden/08/13/postcard.vikes/index.html?cnn=yes if you really want to read it, but the piece I'd like to comment on is attached. It is an indirect dig at the Packers, or, more indirectly, MM... Hasn't MM tried to "tighten up the loose Packer ship"? Maybe its not working so well...

3. I've now visited the four NFC North training camps in the last seven days. The common theme is obvious: Change. Three new coaches, three franchises rebuilding. Through the microscope, the Vikings and Lions share a more precise vibe. Both coaches -- the Lions' Rod Marinelli and the Vikes' Childress -- have made a priority of tightening up a loose ship.

Childress wears gym-teacher shorts, a push-broom mustache, maintains laser eye contact and will tear your hand out of the wrist if you don't match the intensity of his handshake. (I was ready. Papa Layden always preached: Give 'em a grip; No dead fishes in this house). Like Steve Mariucci in Detroit, Tice was one of the boys. Childress is not. It will be fascinating to see if it works. Both the Lions and Vikings have talent. (The Vikings have more).

Hmmm, yea that did sound like a subtle dig.......I don't know much about Tim Layden. Thanks for posting the link, I'll have to check out the whole thing....

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Good stuff tyler. Thanks.

Partial
08-14-2006, 11:36 AM

JSR,

my interpretation of that was that they needed to get some discipline. Obviously, the minnesota mess speaks for itself. Remember though, Detroit and Mooch were notorious for having a loose ship where the inmates ran the asylum. I think that might be what he meant, since they both brought in disciplinarians for head coaches

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 11:49 AM

JSR,

my interpretation of that was that they needed to get some discipline. Obviously, the minnesota mess speaks for itself. Remember though, Detroit and Mooch were notorious for having a loose ship where the inmates ran the asylum. I think that might be what he meant, since they both brought in disciplinarians for head coaches

Doesn't it concern you a little bit that a press observer said that the LIONS and the Vikings both have a "more precise vibe" to their preseason camp than the Packers? The LIONS? The joke of the NFC and NFL for quite some time? The last thing we need is the Lions getting their affairs in order and making life difficult for the already-tight NFC North. If they do, we could be 4th on the ladder this year. And we are rebuilding too, whether or not TT or M3 admit it. It'd be nice to hear some positive reviews of our rebuilding process.

We need precision. We need discipline. We need focus. All of which, in my opinion, seemed to be lacking on Saturday night. Let me qualify that statement with patience--it is only the first preseason game of the year and it means absolutely nothing. Problems were identified and solutions are being developed. If Saturday night was the worst they will look this year, then I'm quite alright with that. BUT we'd better see improvement across the board.

Then again, perhaps we should just chalk up 2006 as a rebuilding year and try to see what's positive for 2007. Tough to admit that we're playing for 2007, but maybe that's the case....

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Doesn't it concern you a little bit that a press observer said that the LIONS and the Vikings both have a "more precise vibe" to their preseason camp than the Packers?

Jack,

I think its depends on your interpretation of precise. One definition of precise would mean that their two teams more closely resemeble each other--as in both Detroit and Minnesota have similar vibes in that they are stressing the "tightening up a loose ship." I don't think it was necessarily a dig at McCarthy. I think it means that the Lions and Vikings have had issues in the locker room, and those two coaches have come in with similar philosophies to change that.

Partial
08-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I am not so sure thats what he meant. On all accounts, everyone that has gone to camp has pretty much reported that McCarthy runs a tight ship and runs high energy, up pace practices. Much more full team work and higher tempo than a Sherman practice.

We haven't seen much of him, but what has been reported by our very own members seems to lead me to believe he knows what he's doing in terms of preparing a team physically. It remains to be seen whether he can come up with an effective game plan and handle the rigors of being a head coach.

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Like you guys suggested, it's only one opinion. We've heard lots of other opinions about how our camps have gone. I wonder if the people who have been reporting are partial (not you!) to the Pack and are sugar-coating what they've seen--either that, or our camps have been 200% more effective than camps of the Sherminator!

I'm all about patience, but I don't remember seeing the team so---what's a good word...umm...horrible--as they looked on Saturday night (at least in recent memory). I'll keep returning to the idea that it's still early and not judge them for the first preseason game of the year.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Doesn't it concern you a little bit that a press observer said that the LIONS and the Vikings both have a "more precise vibe" to their preseason camp than the Packers?

Jack,

I think its depends on your interpretation of precise. One definition of precise would mean that their two teams more closely resemeble each other--as in both Detroit and Minnesota have similar vibes in that they are stressing the "tightening up a loose ship." I don't think it was necessarily a dig at McCarthy. I think it means that the Lions and Vikings have had issues in the locker room, and those two coaches have come in with similar philosophies to change that.

Truedat. I hope you're right.

tyler

Terry
08-14-2006, 01:42 PM

No, because that's not what he said.

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 01:45 PM

Then tell me what he said Terry.

Here's his quote: I've now visited the four NFC North training camps in the last seven days. The common theme is obvious: Change. Three new coaches, three franchises rebuilding. Through the microscope, the Vikings and Lions share a more precise vibe.

Thus, the Packers do not share a "more precise vibe" and the Lions and Vikings do. Care to elaborate on your thought?

tyler

Iron Mike
08-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Then tell me what he said Terry.

Here's his quote: I've now visited the four NFC North training camps in the last seven days. The common theme is obvious: Change. Three new coaches, three franchises rebuilding. Through the microscope, the Vikings and Lions share a more precise vibe.

Thus, the Packers do not share a "more precise vibe" and the Lions and Vikings do. Care to elaborate on your thought?

tyler

Nice bitch slap!!!! :razz: