PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tressel: Suspended For Six Games

pbmax
09-05-2011, 12:04 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/05/tressel-gets-six-game-suspension-from-colts/

After the announcement of Coach Jim Tressel's agreement to join the Colts as a game day consultant, questions were raised with respect to the equity of his appointment as opposed to suspensions being served this season by present and former Ohio State players.

Over the weekend Coach Tressel, Mr. Irsay, Coach Caldwell and I had a discussion of the issue. In addition, we had a conversation with league officials to apprise them of the details of Coach Tressel’s employment and the issues we were reviewing.

At Coach Tressel's suggestion, and with Mr. Irsay’s concurrence and support, we have decided to begin Coach Tressel’s employment effective with our seventh regular season game. We have informed the league office of our decision and expect that they will be supportive of it. snip

pbmax
09-05-2011, 12:11 PM
And while this follows logically, even more ridiculous:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/05/investigation-support-could-be-nfls-next-frontier-for-college-football/

snip...
That’s perhaps the most significant way the NFL can assist the folks who have set up a free farm system for pro football. Because players and coaches can thumb their noses and/or flash their middle fingers at the NCAA after leaving the school at which violations may have occurred, NCAA investigations often hit a brick wall. By installing a steel curtain that could block or delay a player’s or coach’s entry to the NFL until all questions are answered, the league could help the NCAA obtain information it may never have otherwise developed.
...snip

pbmax
09-05-2011, 12:13 PM
And predicted by the readers of Norman Chad's weekly column, which might be the only source of sports news you need:

Ask The Slouch

Q. In light of the five-game suspension handed down by Roger Goodell to Terrelle Pryor, for how long can we expect Pete Carroll to be disciplined? (D.J. Malecha; West Bend, Wis.)

A. Pay the man, Shirley.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/129242958.html

imscott72
09-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Yawnnn

mraynrand
09-05-2011, 02:20 PM
And predicted by the readers of Norman Chad's weekly column, which might be the only source of sports news you need:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/129242958.html

Do the coaches have collective bargaining?

pbmax
09-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Do the coaches have collective bargaining?

Nope. Its an interesting conundrum. By 2020, when all college football is one conference not called the NCAA, they might have enough money to tell the NFL to keeps its mitts off its coaches so they can ban them themselves.

channtheman
09-05-2011, 09:38 PM
It's not like Tressel does anything for the Colts anyway. What's the point in this?

King Friday
09-05-2011, 11:09 PM
This is dumb. Taking a video replay job seems like enough of a step down to not have an NCAA penalty follow through to the NFL. I could see an issue if he became a head coach or even coordinator in the league...but for an out-of-sight job staring at a TV screen?

Goodell's reputation for handing out punishment "unfairly" probably means he should steer far clear of the NCAA and their hypocrisy. That could bring about critical mass.

pbmax
09-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know how much is costs MLB to support the minor leagues? I suppose there is a chance they are self sustaining, but I seem to remember that MLB does provide some measure of support.

Cheesehead Craig
09-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Tressel's an ass, I'm happy for any punishment and humiliation he gets.

Zool
09-07-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm confused. Did he do something illegal or against NCAA rules? Goodell is really going over the top with this.

pbmax
09-07-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm confused. Did he do something illegal or against NCAA rules? Goodell is really going over the top with this.

In Tressel's case, he did. He purposefully withheld information concerning the eligibility of his players from the school and the NCAA. I think he may have denied knowledge as well, adding a lie to his resume. But that would seem to be the concern of the team hiring him, not the League Office.

Tougher would have been to discipline Pete Carroll if, say, he left one year later after the NCAA report on USC was published. He was named only in a "general campus environment" and not something more damaging like lack of institutional control.

The Commissioner is only involved to keep the peace with the farm system.

sheepshead
09-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Tressel's an ass, I'm happy for any punishment and humiliation he gets.

I dont like him particularly either, but this is nuts. What did his guys do? sell some dirty socks or something? Insane

mraynrand
09-07-2011, 09:01 AM

What's wrong with you? Don't you recognize the horror that transpired at Ohio State? No tats for gear! No tats for gear! No tats for gear! Jim Tressel was at the head of the monster, perpetrating the biggest cover-up since Iran-Contra. No Tats for Gear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkNsEH1GD7Q&feature=related

mraynrand
09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
I dont like him particularly either, but this is nuts. What did his guys do? sell some dirty socks or something? Insane

Jim Tressel should die of Gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie? laces out!

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3332/3916890std.jpg

pbmax
09-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Its one step worse, though hardly a crime against humanity. They were lifting jersey's from the locker room among other things. He wasn't selling the sweatshirt he wore to class, but equipment out of the locker room. It was theft, NCAA violation or not.

Pugger
09-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Actually it was Tressel's idea to suspend himself after considering what some of his former players are going thru.

pbmax
09-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Actually it was Tressel's idea to suspend himself after considering what some of his former players are going thru.

I suspect Coach Tressel is one of those figures who thinks his imagined integrity translates well to the public arena despite the fact that he has come up short in a very public way.

Calling it self imposed was the Colt's fig leaf to Tressel after they were informed by the Commissioner that he needed to be suspended. The Colts did initially do a disservice to Tressel by not being able to predict the fallout from the league office.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/goodell-if-colts-hadnt-suspended-tressel-i-would-have/

sheepshead
09-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Its one step worse, though hardly a crime against humanity. They were lifting jersey's from the locker room among other things. He wasn't selling the sweatshirt he wore to class, but equipment out of the locker room. It was theft, NCAA violation or not.

got it, yes and if it was over what $5000 its possible felony?

pbmax
09-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Not sure about particulars or numbers, other than it was jerseys, footballs and the like. Also some memorabilia they were given each year.

Guiness
09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Does the NFL foster a situation where, like the NCAA, teams punish themselves in hopes that the NFL won't come in and punish them? That's how it runs in college.

So I wonder what happens with Pete Carroll now? And the former Miami players?

Also, Goodell said he would have suspended him...for what? Pryor was, on paper, suspended for
'circumventing the draft'. What was Tressel's crime against the NFL?

mraynrand
09-07-2011, 03:54 PM

It depends on whether you assign it market value or thrift store value.

"No Gear for Tats! No Gear for Tats!" I can't wait until Joe Biden and Ollie North wade into the fray!

mraynrand
09-07-2011, 03:57 PM
What was Tressel's crime against the NFL?

He bears the stench of impropriety. The NFL can't allow that!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IvgMLxBgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg