PDA

View Full Version : Nothing much - Charles Woodson's debut - a report

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 10:26 AM
MON., AUG 14, 2006 - 12:03 AM

Packers notes: Nothing much to Woodson's debut

JASON WILDE 608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY - As debuts go, Charles Woodson's first game with the Green Bay Packers wasn't particularly attention-grabbing. At least, not until he was out of the game and standing in the wrong place on the sideline.

The veteran cornerback, who signed with the Packers as a free agent in the offseason, played 16 snaps from scrimmage in Saturday night's 17-3 preseason-opening loss to the San Diego Chargers, saw only two balls thrown in his direction and didn't allow a completion.

As a punt returner, he had one unfieldable ball bounce into the end zone for a touchback, then slipped and was spun around after a 3-yard gain on the one kick he caught.

In fact, it wasn't until 8 minutes, 52 seconds were left in the fourth quarter that Woodson drew attention - and a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for interfering with an official on the sideline. Woodson was standing on the white portion, ahead of the line in the bench area, and apparently obstructed the view of one of the officials on a Charlie Whitehurst pass to that side of the field.

"That wasn't good and the game wasn't very good. Just not a good game for us," Woodson said.

As for the penalty, Woodson disagreed with it, saying,

"I was on the sideline. I'm just as confused as you are. It looked like (the official) was going out there to make a pass interference call, got to the sideline and pulled something out of his hat."

Butterfingered rookie Cory Rodgers did catch both punts he saw in the game after struggling during the first two weeks of camp, but Woodson said he'd like to keep the job.

"That was cool. I still want to do it," Woodson said.

"I just slipped, I couldn't get my footing when I tried to make my break to get around that first guy. If I could have stuck that plant (foot), I would have gotten around him and then it looked like it was open on that right side. All I need is a chance."

Asked if he was concerned about being a high-profile player with the sometimes dangerous punt return gig, the former Heisman Trophy winner replied,

"It's a risk. But that's how I got into the NFL, by doing everything. It's all a risk. And I wasn't making no money then. It's still football, one way or the other. I look to have fun."

Safety dance The Packers did not release any update on the severity of safety Marviel Underwood's right knee injury, which appeared serious. Underwood left Qualcomm Stadium on crutches Saturday night, wearing a bulky brace on his leg. One teammate said he thought Underwood tore his ACL when he was blocked low during Brandon Manumaleuna's 30-yard catch-and-run, but that could not be confirmed.

Underwood figures to be sidelined for awhile, further depleting one of the Packers' few positions of depth. The team felt so good about its youngsters there - Underwood, Nick Collins, Tyrone Culver, Tra Boger and Atari Bigby - that it released disgruntled veteran Mark Roman just before camp.

Now, with Bigby having fractured his hand during the intrasquad scrimmage, would-be starter Marquand Manuel yet to practice because of a calf injury and Underwood out, Culver moves up the depth chart.

"You never know what's going to happen," said Culver, a rookie sixth-round pick from Fresno State who ran with the No. 1 defense after Underwood went down.

"Hopefully I did well. I know I did what was asked of me. There were some plays I feel I could've done better. I wouldn't say I was satisfied, but I'm in position to go and work hard on Monday."

The only other injuries coach Mike McCarthy confirmed were to defensive tackles Ryan Pickett (finger) and Kenderick Allen (side muscle) and tight end David Martin (hand).

Cliffy feels nifty Left tackle Chad Clifton, who missed about a week of practice earlier in camp with soreness in his surgically repaired right knee, said the knee felt fine after his 19 snaps.

"It felt good. I got about 20 plays in and never really had a problem," he said.

"Hopefully, we won't have to take any practices off. We'll just be smart with it. Maybe limit my reps. I certainly don't expect to miss any practices or miss any games."

Hawk takes flight When he watches the film in meetings today, rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk will see himself getting burned by All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates for a 17-yard gain on the Chargers' first touchdown drive. And he won't like what he sees.

"It was just a simple little stupid mistake by me. It turned out to be major, but it's something I can easily correct and shouldn't happen again," Hawk said.

"You should never let a guy crease the defense like that."

Hawk was pretty solid the rest of the night, however, including a fantastic play on a pass to Manumaleuna in the flat, throwing the tight end down for no gain on the first play of the next drive.

"It's just going to take a little bit of time," Hawk said.

"Every day you need to make sure you're picking up a few more things here and not making so-called rookie mistakes, but I feel pretty good so far and I'm going to make sure I get on the film and make sure I don't make the same mistakes again."

Old tricks

A cynic might suggest cornerback Ahmad Carroll was in midseason form, getting beaten badly for a 22-yard Philip Rivers-to-Vincent Jackson touchdown pass in the first quarter while the Packers were in their dime (six defensive backs) defense. But other than that play, Carroll didn't have a horrible night.

"Thank God it's the first preseason game," Carroll said. "You're going to face good quarterbacks. (Rivers) had a good game. We go back to the drawing board, correct our errors and we'll be alright."