PDA

View Full Version : America's Game

Bossman641
09-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Anybody watch it yet? I believe it premiered tonight at 7 or 8 on NFL Network. I'm recording it right now. It's on again at 10:30 AM central, Thursday if anyone is interested.

mission
09-08-2011, 07:05 AM
I did... definitely a few goosebump moments. Really good stuff.

mraynrand
09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
I love that forced fumble sequence with Greene and Matthews. Greene: "This is the time" (something to that effect), then Matthews:

"Spill, Pickett, SPILL!"

KYPack
09-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I love that forced fumble sequence with Greene and Matthews. Greene: "This is the time" (something to that effect), then Matthews:

"Spill, Pickett, SPILL!"

Man, I love that moment. When I heard the replay from the field audio, I thought Clay said "Seal it seal it".

America's game was pretty well done. They mentioned CMIII so much, he shudda been on it.

VegasPackFan
09-08-2011, 10:44 AM
There were some pretty cool moments. It has commentary from M3, Rodgers and Woodson. I liked how they obviously had this same mantra in the playoffs:"16 quarters, 12 quarters, 8 quarters, 4 quarters". Rodgers talking about how "ridiculous" CMIII's pre-game hair wetting ritual is: "I try to not even look at him during pre-game". That was funny.

vince
09-08-2011, 10:50 AM
It was definitely a fun ride re-living those moments from last year. What a special year it was. Hopefully it was just the beginning of an even greater ride for the next 5-10 years, but no matter what happens from here, no one can take last year away from the Packers and their fans - ever. It was an unbelievable story. The show really hits that home. Well done as usual by NFL Films.

KYPack
09-08-2011, 11:13 AM
There were a few other things that hit me a little. MM may be a little more charismatic than we have a tendency to give him credit. He came up with several coaching ploys that season. One, of course, is the theme of the quarters, 16, 12, 8,4 and so on.

The other thing I thought was cool was the team picture. He emphasized that the blank spot on a wall was the team photo of this years team and it would join it's photo brethern as another Packer Championship pic. That is a cool mental image and motivator.

It also gave a little different light on the flap over the team photo session at the SB. Barnett (remember him?) and Finley raised twitter hell over not being included in the team photo at the SB. We all yelled at those two for making a big deal out of it. Well, when the coach makes a big deal out of something, the players think it's a big deal.

MM is a sly dog, probably a lot slyer than we think he is. He got the team measured for their rings before the game. After the game, he downplayed that move as just another pre-game action item. It was more than that. MM believes in positive re-inforcement and puts that shit into practice. He relishes his public perception as the guy who swept out the family bar. He's got some depth to him that not a lot of people see, but he keeps his image as the ex-toll booth guy from the Burgh.

Partial
09-08-2011, 11:17 AM
What is this movie about? The packers super bowl run? I don't get the NFL network but could acquire it in other ways.

mraynrand
09-08-2011, 11:28 AM
He relishes his public perception as the guy who swept out the family bar....

I can tell you from personal experience that that stuff really resonates. You can't fake a humble background and you can't fake that you worked the shit jobs to make it. I can reference that stuff with people who work shit jobs for me and they know I relate, and then they know they can make it too. It's not theoretical, it's visceral, experiential. Stubby has credibility because of it.

vince
09-08-2011, 11:39 AM
There were a few other things that hit me a little. MM may be a little more charismatic than we have a tendency to give him credit. He came up with several coaching ploys that season. One, of course, is the theme of the quarters, 16, 12, 8,4 and so on.

The other thing I thought was cool was the team picture. He emphasized that the blank spot on a wall was the team photo of this years team and it would join it's photo brethern as another Packer Championship pic. That is a cool mental image and motivator.

It also gave a little different light on the flap over the team photo session at the SB. Barnett (remember him?) and Finley raised twitter hell over not being included in the team photo at the SB. We all yelled at those two for making a big deal out of it. Well, when the coach makes a big deal out of something, the players think it's a big deal.

MM is a sly dog, probably a lot slyer than we think he is. He got the team measured for their rings before the game. After the game, he downplayed that move as just another pre-game action item. It was more than that. MM believes in positive re-inforcement and puts that shit into practice. He relishes his public perception as the guy who swept out the family bar. He's got some depth to him that not a lot of people see, but he keeps his image as the ex-toll booth guy from the Burgh.
He also recognized that the team needed more vocal leadership from the players and took the steps - and the back seat in the lockerroom to a large extent - to develop it in Rodgers, Woodson, Hawk, etc.

Woodson getting emotional recollecting his experience crying his eyes out at halftime of the Super Bowl after breaking his collarbone was pretty powerful for me. His passion played well, especially at that moment. It's easy to see just see how much that Super Bowl means to him - in his own words, "It's everything. It's why you love the game."

mraynrand
09-08-2011, 11:49 AM
One thing about that series is that it really is an "As told by" series. If you're looking for a comprehensive review of the season, you're not really going to get that. These guys relate their experiences and the film supports that. For example, they focus on MM getting red ink from his pen on his neck because he didn't have a cap for his sharpie during the Superbowl, but they really don't mention that Driver and Shields were also lost in the game due to injury. Kinda important to know that - because that's why Woodson was out there defending on the edge in the first place when he got injured. So it's more like talking to these guys over beer at the bar, and having them tell you their memories.

vince
09-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Not sure how long this will be up, but here's part 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhSCpcycr70

vince
09-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO8AzBaagyY&feature=watch_response

vince
09-08-2011, 11:55 AM
...and Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFCSORZ7_tc&feature=watch_response

Bossman641
09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I only watched maybe 20 minutes so far but I did like mm putting up the blank picture in the team room and it makes a lot more sense why barnett and finley wanted in the team picture so bad. One question however, what goes on the wall? The official team picture or the SB picture?

vince
09-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I only watched maybe 20 minutes so far but I did like mm putting up the blank picture in the team room and it makes a lot more sense why barnett and finley wanted in the team picture so bad. One question however, what goes on the wall? The official team picture or the SB picture?
They show a close-up of the pic on the wall at the end and it looks to me like it's the Super Bowl pic taken in Dallas.

ThunderDan
09-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I loved Rodgers and Woodson dissing on Clay's pregame routine. Than Wood saying if he was an average player people would give him hell but because he delivers nobody says anything about it.

Also, watching MM's eyes upclose for long periods was a little "freaky".

Bossman641
09-08-2011, 04:45 PM
They show a close-up of the pic on the wall at the end and it looks to me like it's the Super Bowl pic taken in Dallas.

You are correct that's it the SB picture. Walden is in it.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the posts Vince. Much appreciated.

pbmax
09-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Its funny looking back at it all because after the Miami game, I was quite doubtful about the season. Not the team, McCarthy or Thompson, but the 2010 season. Similar feeling after the Lions game. The fact that they got better after each of those low points really speaks to the individuals still playing and coaching.

Now it all seems part of an inevitable story, but at the time it seemed to be going all wrong.

The New England game turned it around in my head, though at the end of that game I was cursing the moral victory since the team at that point of the season needed a real victory quite badly.

VegasPackFan
09-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Very astute observation.

gbgary
09-08-2011, 07:21 PM
watched it last night and recorded it to watch again. magical season. let's do it again...starting tonight.

Partial
09-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Just downloaded this. It's unbelievable.

Tony Oday
09-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Never doubted the Pack would go 10-6...GB the team with crazy eyes...just sayin.