PDA

View Full Version : When does regular season 'officially' start?

Guiness
09-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I saw a ticker today that said Miami had resigned Larry Johnson.

Did the league year start at midnight or something? I assume the timing of this signing was because his salary would not be guaranteed for the season.

I saw this while watching a broadcast of a SB highlight reel. They showed Jennings' first TD catch from a few angles...I never noticed it before, but that was a pretty solid helmet to helmet hit, from behind, that Polamalu put on him as he was going to the ground.

Smidgeon
09-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I thought it was variable based on the first game the team plays. I seem to recall hearing that teams who played the Thursday night game had a jump start on all the other teams when it came to signing vets without fully guaranteeing the salary.

Zool
09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Being lazy I didn't get any links but I believe vet salaries are not guaranteed if they are added to a roster at the conclusion of the week 1 games.

Joemailman
09-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I saw a ticker today that said Miami had resigned Larry Johnson.

Did the league year start at midnight or something? I assume the timing of this signing was because his salary would not be guaranteed for the season.

They signed him after RB Daniel Thomas hurt his hamstring in practice and is questionable for Sunday.

Guiness
09-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Being lazy I didn't get any links but I believe vet salaries are not guaranteed if they are added to a roster at the conclusion of the week 1 games.

That would make the timing of this signing a little odd. Maybe they were worried someone else would call him up, or just figured they needed him that bad for week 1. I'm sure they were not keen on guaranteeing his salary, he's been in the league a while and while I'm sure it's the vet minimum, it still won't be that low.