PDA

View Full Version : Another boring money post

Pages : 1 [2]

retailguy
09-19-2011, 07:27 PM
So what you're saying is that Partial doesn't have sex at all.

not true. I'd say he climaxes every day as soon as he reads the latest story on apple insider.

Little Whiskey
09-19-2011, 07:30 PM
nice

Freak Out
09-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey, smart money people, WWYD with 60k right now investment wise?

Do a little research and buy a home somewhere to rent. Rates are so fucking low right now it's hard not to with cash and good credit. As long as the rental market is strong in the area you'll be fine.

Plus it's another tax write off.

Partial
09-19-2011, 07:36 PM
not true. I'd say he climaxes every day as soon as he reads the latest story on apple insider.

Absolutely the way the stock keeps going up! Another 2.5% today. I've doubled my money in two years. Have you doubled your money the past two years? You would be climaxing as well if you were. AAPL is going to allow me to pay off a 300k house in 4 years.

For how dumb you like to tell me that I am, I find it very ironic because I follow a fair amount of the financial advice that you offered up.

mraynrand
09-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Do a little research and buy a home somewhere to rent. Rates are so fucking low right now it's hard not to with cash and good credit. As long as the rental market is strong in the area you'll be fine.

Plus it's another tax write off.

Hey, that's my recommendation from 5 pages back before the invasion of the iPhone.

mraynrand
09-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Absolutely the way the stock keeps going up! Another 2.5% today. I've doubled my money in two years. Have you doubled your money the past two years? You would be climaxing as well if you were. AAPL is going to allow me to pay off a 300k house in 4 years.

For how dumb you like to tell me that I am, I find it very ironic because I follow a fair amount of the financial advice that you offered up.

I'd be happy doubling my climaxes.

Little Whiskey
09-19-2011, 07:55 PM
No, really. They have it because they're gay. Just go over to Dupont Circle and look around.

Gays congragate at a place called dupont circle? thats is funny! Dupont (the paint company) used to sponser Jeff Gordon, who in Nascar circles was thought to be gay. His team was even given the nickname Rainbow Warriors.

now that dupont has pulled his sponsership, I wonder if Apple will pick him up?

3irty1
09-19-2011, 07:59 PM
All stats point to iPhone users making more money, get laid more, etc. Not saiyng theres a correlation, but one could argue that the douchebaggery of guys like RG and Ziggy is not likely to get you laid, where as my smooth talking gets me laid constantly!

That's a really judgmental statement. I'm not smug, I'm quite cheap. I never go to Starbucks, I drive an SUV, I loathe soccer, and I didn't vote for Obama. Boom, that just throws your argument out the window. Sure, some hipsters use Macs... a lot of hipsters also use linux because it's cool and counter-culture.

I could just as easily say people who still enjoy using Windows are southern redneck hicks who drive Suburbans, don't understand basic ecnomics, enjoy sleeping with their sister, and drive pickup trucks.

Both are moronic, stupid statements to make.

Whiskey bar is a fine place. Never had any problems with it. Too many frat boys who use Windows there. The typical mac user is getting pussy by the truckload, so they don't need to rape when it's at home waiting for them.

The average iPhone user is a male in there 30s earning over 80k. I do agree the women enjoy iPhones (beautiful UI and wonderful device). I can't explain the gays, but my two gay friends do have iPhone 4s LOL. They don't have it because they're gay, they have it because they're smart.

Well I'm not an expert on everyone's personal life but I know a little bit. You're engaged, so your sex life has as much to do with diamond jewelry as it does with any smooth talking. Can't blame a guy for using the big guns though. RG is married with kids and if I recall has gotten fantastic results through a life-changing diet and exercise routine. I also infer he's a pretty generous guy. I'd guess that his people-pleasing nature coupled with his new physique have Mrs. RG whipped into a sex-crazed frenzy. Ziggy is a 100 lb woman with a million posts on a football forum. She'll never want for sex as long as she's in America. iphone users are also older which is directly correlated to making more money. Not a good thing for Apple since kids that prefer Android grow into adults who prefer Android.

Of course its a judgmental statement, It was an honest projection of what I think in my head when I make a snap judgment on a hypothetical person. Even if we pretend that you are an iphone user because you undoubtedly will be soon...You say you're not smug but two sentences earlier you make a statement that while humorous, reeks of self-satisfaction. The rest of the statement isn't meant to describe you but instead the opposite of me. I drink my coffee black, bitter, and too hot. I'd rather saw off my nads with a kite string than watch soccer. The beauty of judging Apple users by their cars is that I'm never wrong, apple products come with car stickers and every Prius practically comes with one. 1 and 4 chance on any Honda Element or VW Jetta. Nobody admits to voting for Obama, it happened though.

My criticisms of Whiskey Bar regulars were totally separate from my those of Apple fans. It was simply meant to show how a good idea can be ruined for the masses by having its dominant clientele think that they are the cast of Gossip Girl. Ok now my criticisms aren't separate anymore.

MJZiggy
09-19-2011, 08:00 PM
I had it all written out. I just can't do it. Partial, believe what you want to believe. I know that I could show you live shit bacteria in the earpiece and you'd call it beneficial bacteria that aids hearing.

Partial
09-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I had it all written out. I just can't do it. Partial, believe what you want to believe. I know that I could show you live shit bacteria in the earpiece and you'd call it beneficial bacteria that aids hearing.

Not true. That's exactly what you're doing. You're saying the problems with an Android phone are it's features! A few examples: It's 8MP camera is superior the iPhone (it's not). It's screen is superior to the iPhone (it's not). It's smarter to plug in to a computer to synch photos then do it wirelessly (it's not). It's cheaper (in build quality certainly, in price it's not any more or less expensive).

I would venture a guess that most Mac users don't drive a VW or a Honda. I don't have the stats obviously, but this thread leads me to believe your stereotype is off base. The Mac guys I know are all car guys and all seem to drive BMWs.

http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=41585

MJZiggy
09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Gay's congragate at a place called dupont circle? thats is funny! Dupont (the paint company) used to sponser Jeff Gordon, who in Nascar circles was thought to be gay. His team was even given the nickname Rainbow Warriors.

now that dupont has pulled his sponsership, I wonder if Apple will pick him up?

Dupont Circle is a neighborhood in DC that is one of the best in the city and has a very large gay population. It's where I used to pick up the metro when I worked in Georgetown. Nascar would be an interesting sponsorship.

3irty1
09-19-2011, 08:10 PM
If were going to get in touch with my feminine side though, it'd be with that macbook air. The ipad is sooooo lost on me. Its basically like Glee--I do not understand the appeal at all. Maybe I'll just get a macbook air for my girlfriend and just use it at home sometimes like a shameful secret.

MJZiggy
09-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Not true. That's exactly what you're doing. You're saying the problems with an Android phone are it's features! A few examples: It's 8MP camera is superior the iPhone (it's not). It's screen is superior to the iPhone (it's not). It's smarter to plug in to a computer to synch photos then do it wirelessly (it's not). It's cheaper (in build quality certainly, in price it's not any more or less expensive).

You just can't let shit go. So you're saying your phone can synch the correct photos automatically between your home and work computers AND automatically transfer the images you want on the external drive right there without making a clusterfuck out of it. Wow that really is a talented phone! And you said yourself that the Samsung screen was better. You're saying the iPhone screen performs better than the Samsung in sunlight? Quit kidding yourself. I COMPARED THE PHONES SIDE BY SIDE AND I LIKE MY PHONE BETTER THAN THE IPHONE I WAS SHOWN. End of story. I AM NOT ALONE. You're a fool if you think I am.

MJZiggy
09-19-2011, 08:14 PM
If were going to get in touch with my feminine side though, it'd be with that macbook air. The ipad is sooooo lost on me. Its basically like Glee--I do not understand the appeal at all. Maybe I'll just get a macbook air for my girlfriend and just use it at home sometimes like a shameful secret.:lol::lol:

3irty1
09-19-2011, 08:18 PM
On a barely related note, do smartphone users really care about the stats of the screen? From what I've seen they are all touch screens and will spend the majority of their lives as a smudgy piece of shit anyways.

MJZiggy
09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
On a barely related note, do smartphone users really care about the stats of the screen? From what I've seen they are all touch screens and will spend the majority of their lives as a smudgy piece of shit anyways.

The only screen "stat" I'm interested in is that it's a 4.3 inch screen. It's nicer to play Angry Birds with the larger screen. Other than that, I like that it's bright and crisp, but bright and crisp are not stats. In other words, I don't care about stats, I just think it's pretty.

retailguy
09-19-2011, 08:50 PM

partial my money is SAFELY invested. I work too hard to put it at risk, and I'm older than you. Taking the foolish chances you do would be disastrous for me as i lack 20 years on what your investment portfolio will earn. Over the next 5 years, I'll bet you I'll earn more than you will.

You say you respect my advice. If you can turn your big mouth off for even one minute, DO IT NOW. Unless you have sold your Apple stock, you haven't earned ONE DAMN PENNY. Let's say you bought 100 shares of stock. Today, you still "own" 100 shares of stock. That stock trades at a higher price than when you bought it, TODAY, but it may not tomorrow.

Until you pay taxes on it, YOU HAVE NOT EARNED A PENNY. Never forget that. Only a fool spends money before he earns it, and that fool also plans how he's gonna spend it. Don't do that. You will regret it. On the reverse, you haven't "lost" money until you sell it, or the exchange delists it. You'll still own 100 shares.

Buy it. Hold it. Save it. when you retire, you'll be fine. It is not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Finally, you didn't follow all my advice, because I would NEVER tell you to buy single stocks. Never. If you wanted to invest in Apple, I'd have told you to find a good performing mutual fund that holds apple stock. They have enough buying power to properly diversify. You don't, and it's not likely to happen anytime soon either.

retailguy
09-19-2011, 09:02 PM
The only screen "stat" I'm interested in is that it's a 4.3 inch screen. It's nicer to play Angry Birds with the larger screen. Other than that, I like that it's bright and crisp, but bright and crisp are not stats. In other words, I don't care about stats, I just think it's pretty.

I'm loving the 10 in screen on this android tablet. Very nice. You wanna play angry birds I guess this is the way to do it. I'm no good at it, but it looks damn cool, that's for sure.

$220 bucks. Yeah. laughing my ass off, believe me. This angry birds thing is funnier than shit. I won't spend much time on it, but it's a good diversion. I have enough of those, I don't need another one.

MJZiggy
09-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm loving the 10 in screen on this android tablet. Very nice. You wanna play angry birds I guess this is the way to do it. I'm no good at it, but it looks damn cool, that's for sure.

$220 bucks. Yeah. laughing my ass off, believe me. This angry birds thing is funnier than shit. I won't spend much time on it, but it's a good diversion. I have enough of those, I don't need another one.

I got hooked when I had the commute. I had the whole game won, but have had to start over. You should see some of the AB art that people make...

Partial
09-19-2011, 10:15 PM
partial my money is SAFELY invested. I work too hard to put it at risk, and I'm older than you. Taking the foolish chances you do would be disastrous for me as i lack 20 years on what your investment portfolio will earn. Over the next 5 years, I'll bet you I'll earn more than you will.

You say you respect my advice. If you can turn your big mouth off for even one minute, DO IT NOW. Unless you have sold your Apple stock, you haven't earned ONE DAMN PENNY. Let's say you bought 100 shares of stock. Today, you still "own" 100 shares of stock. That stock trades at a higher price than when you bought it, TODAY, but it may not tomorrow.

Until you pay taxes on it, YOU HAVE NOT EARNED A PENNY. Never forget that. Only a fool spends money before he earns it, and that fool also plans how he's gonna spend it. Don't do that. You will regret it. On the reverse, you haven't "lost" money until you sell it, or the exchange delists it. You'll still own 100 shares.

Buy it. Hold it. Save it. when you retire, you'll be fine. It is not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Finally, you didn't follow all my advice, because I would NEVER tell you to buy single stocks. Never. If you wanted to invest in Apple, I'd have told you to find a good performing mutual fund that holds apple stock. They have enough buying power to properly diversify. You don't, and it's not likely to happen anytime soon either.

I have 35-40K in mutual funds. I'm diversified. I do respect your advice because clearly you know how to manage money. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but some of it is certainly beneficial and principals I've applied to the old ball and chain and my personal finances.

Not really. They're all much higher DPI then our computer monitors to begin with. Having said that, the Apple display is pretty amazing. If only it was a little bigger. It's pretty wild with the Apple display the limiting factor is not the screen itself, but your eye. That is insane to think about.

You just can't let shit go. So you're saying your phone can synch the correct photos automatically between your home and work computers AND automatically transfer the images you want on the external drive right there without making a clusterfuck out of it. Wow that really is a talented phone! And you said yourself that the Samsung screen was better. You're saying the iPhone screen performs better than the Samsung in sunlight? Quit kidding yourself. I COMPARED THE PHONES SIDE BY SIDE AND I LIKE MY PHONE BETTER THAN THE IPHONE I WAS SHOWN. End of story. I AM NOT ALONE. You're a fool if you think I am.

I don't think you're alone. There are a lot of people who are biased towards Apple products for bad reasons. I'm confident if you used both phones for a month you'd be more satisfied with the iPhone.

Samsung screen is good. Apple screen is good.

Here's my opinion breakdown:

Useability in size: Samsung
Quality of display all around: Apple
Quality of display in sunlight: Apple
Quality of display indoors: Samsung
Resolution and clarity: Apple
Black level: Samsung

It's pretty much a tie. They're both so far ahead of anything the competitors are using. HTC's screens, for example, look like crap compared to either one. Put an Htc Evo next to a Samsung Epic and your jaw will hit the floor at how much better the Sammy is.

Today, the Galaxy S II has the best display because it just came out in America last week. It's 4.3" with an 800x480 res. iPhone 5 is coming out with a display that will be 4" with a 960x640 display, so significantly higher resolution. It'll either tie or top the Samsung.

Here are some links about AMOLED's short coming in sunlight
http://gizmodo.com/5568760/screen-comparison-shows-lcd-still-beats-super-amoled-in-sunlight
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/super-amoled-vs-amoled-vs-lcd-in-direct-sunlight-fight/

Opening line to Endaget story:

By now you know that (one of) AMOLED's Achilles' heel is readability in direct sunlight

retailguy
09-19-2011, 10:38 PM
I have 35-40K in mutual funds. I'm diversified. I do respect your advice because clearly you know how to manage money. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but some of it is certainly beneficial and principals I've applied to the old ball and chain and my personal finances.

If you have more than $1500 - $3000 in Apple stock you are not properly diversified. You can screw around with 5% or 10% of your portfolio. More than that, you're taking too much risk. $1500-$3000 in stock is not paying off a house.... you are not diversified.

Zool
09-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Penis

mraynrand
09-19-2011, 11:58 PM
envy

Freak Out
09-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Cockring.

Partial
09-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Samsung already hedging bet on Android.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/20/samsung-to-open-bada-to-other-manufactuers-developers-next-year/

Partial
09-20-2011, 08:49 AM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/20/apple_continues_unstoppable_winning_streak_in_cust omer_satisfaction.html

Apple has once again topped the American Customer Satisfaction Index for PC makers, making it eight years in a row that consumers have been most satisfied with the Mac maker.

Apple's score in 2011 was up 1 percent to 87, placing the company a comfortable 9 points ahead of its nearest competitor. The average score in the personal computer business was tracked at 78 points on the 0-to-100 scale.

"In the eight years that Apple has led the PC industry in customer satisfaction, its stock price has increased by 2,300%," said Claes Fornell, ACSI founder. "Apples winning combination of innovation and product diversification—including spinning off technologies into entirely new directions—has kept the company consistently at the leading edge."

The ACSI said that Apple's dominance in computer satisfaction appears to be "unstoppable," as competing PC makers topped out in 2011 with scores in the 70s. HP was the best of the lot with a score of 78, while Dell and Acer sat at 77.

The ACSI numbers com from interviews with about 70,000 customers rating more than 225 companies in 47 industries and 10 economic sectors. The latest report released on Tuesday covers consumer satisfaction with PC makers, as well as major appliances and electronics.

Apple's score of 87 in 2011 marks its highest tally yet, besting last year's result of 86 points. HP also improved by one point over last year's score of 77.

Competing PC makers have slightly narrowed the gap against Apple in recent years. In 2009, the Mac maker was 12 points ahead of its nearest rival, Dell, with Apple posting a score of 84 percent.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/20/pc_makers_want_cheaper_intel_chips_to_compete_with _apples_air_pricing.html

Struggling to compete with the pricing of Apple's MacBook Air lineup, "Ultrabook" PC makers have again asked Intel to reduce the price of its mobile CPUs.

Executives from both Acer Taiwan and Compal Electronics have turned to Intel and asked the chipmaker to aid them in achieving pricing below $1,000, according to DigiTimes. Intel has partnered with PC makers to push a new specification, dubbed "Ultrabook," designed to compete with Apple's popular thin-and-light MacBook Air.

Seems like competitors are having a hard time matching the prices that the extremely overpriced Apple is charging.

AAPL up 4% so far this week. Hopefully 6% by the end of today!

3irty1
09-20-2011, 09:27 AM
I had never heard of Ultrabook before but how sneaky is Intel for dealing to both sides? Can one get a bigger battery for the smallest macbook air? What is the best possible battery life one could squeeze out even if that meant a new battery?

I punch away at a 2 or 3 year old 10" Acer netbook that thanks to some power saving scripts I made can get me 11 hours of battery life of dicking around on the internet. I like it but only having 600 vertical pixels gets me into the occasional problem--like dialogs where you can't see the "OK" at the bottom.

Partial
09-20-2011, 09:36 AM
I had never heard of Ultrabook before but how sneaky is Intel for dealing to both sides? Can one get a bigger battery for the smallest macbook air? What is the best possible battery life one could squeeze out even if that meant a new battery?

I punch away at a 2 or 3 year old 10" Acer netbook that thanks to some power saving scripts I made can get me 11 hours of battery life of dicking around on the internet. I like it but only having 600 vertical pixels gets me into the occasional problem--like dialogs where you can't see the "OK" at the bottom.

Why's it sneaky? Macs are running the same guts as nice computers, just with a different OS. Apple strategically invests their cash years in advance. This is why they have the best LCD panels from Sharp, the best batteries in mobile, and had the flash memory market working to it's advantage for years with the iPods. This is why they have 75 billion in cash under Steve's mattress.

One cannot get a bigger battery in the MBA. They get a real world usage of 7 hours I've heard. Apple is one of the few vendors who doesn't overstate battery. My MBP gets ridiculously good battery life. The 11" is 1366x768 IIRC

3irty1
09-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Intel makes a line of something for the Macbook Air, then on its own time comes out with this Ultrabook recipe to create competition between Apple and Acer/Samsung/Sony etc who didn't have anything like the Air. Dealing to both sides of a war they created themselves in computers its good business but in guns its war profiteering.

Partial
09-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Intel makes a line of something for the Macbook Air, then on its own time comes out with this Ultrabook recipe to create competition between Apple and Acer/Samsung/Sony etc who didn't have anything like the Air. Dealing to both sides of a war they created themselves in computers its good business but in guns its war profiteering.

The Ultra low voltage chips have been available for awhile. Recall Sony had powerful sub-notebooks during the Netbook phase of a few years back. Not Apple's problem that the competition doesn't have as good as engineers or cannot anticipate what users want. Intel didn't create a market, Apple did. The netbook has been around for years, but they were all wrong. Too slow, too thick, too low res, etc. Apple applied their knowledge of design and what the users want to create the ultimate notebook, the 11" MBA!

Recall the MacBook Air has been out for years. Yes, the refresh of it last year made it the sexy little beast it is today. The competition just ignored this market, and now they can't keep up it in. It's really not very surprising given that they ignored it.

Partial
09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Intel had better be worried. Very worried. ARM is gonna take the consumer market out from under them in the next few years if they don't get their PPW (performance per watt) cleaned up.

Nvidia is gonna be a huge player in this. They release the next gen stuff earlier then the opposition, so it's slower than the chips Apple, TI, and others are putting out, but the adoption rate is high due to it's early availability.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/20/nvidia-releases-kal-el-white-papers-announces-a-fifth-companio/

Freak Out
09-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Right now the only Apple laptop I would consider buying is the 15 inch pro at $2100.....and I still would have to upgrade the fucker. Final price....$3899. Fuck you Apple. :)

I take it you can still replace drives and ram on the pro yourself or has Apple locked that down as well?

retailguy
09-20-2011, 01:38 PM
I take it you can still replace drives and ram on the pro yourself or has Apple locked that down as well?

That depends on who you talk to. ;)

Honestly, ram and hard drives are about the only things you CAN replace on a macbook pro. Probably the only things you don't have to buy from apple. Though I bet if you dug through all the stuff, you'd find licensing agreements with part of the sales price going to apple. Of course, depending on your POV, that's just "good business".:pc:

Zool
09-20-2011, 02:36 PM

Honestly, ram and hard drives are about the only things you CAN replace on a macbook pro. Probably the only things you don't have to buy from apple.

That's also true with almost every laptop on the market. Most have proc's and GPU's right on the motherboard not in a socket. There are very few exceptions to this.

Freak Out
09-20-2011, 02:44 PM
That's also true with almost every laptop on the market. Most have proc's and GPU's right on the motherboard not in a socket. There are very few exceptions to this.

I know that.....I just want to know if you can you still remove the back panels on the new Pros and upgrade the ram and drives. I can get great deals on compatible ram and an SSD.

Freak Out
09-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Hmmmm...

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/15/macbook-pro-firmware-update-addresses-sata-3-0-drive-performance-issues/

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2011, 03:04 PM
dorks

Scott Campbell
09-20-2011, 04:15 PM
APPL produces one thing much better than it's competitors. Fanboys.

Zool
09-20-2011, 04:27 PM
I know that.....I just want to know if you can you still remove the back panels on the new Pros and upgrade the ram and drives. I can get great deals on compatible ram and an SSD.

Upgrade Ram (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270)

Upgrade Hard Drive (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3419)

Partial
09-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Honestly, ram and hard drives are about the only things you CAN replace on a macbook pro. Probably the only things you don't have to buy from apple. Though I bet if you dug through all the stuff, you'd find licensing agreements with part of the sales price going to apple. Of course, depending on your POV, that's just "good business".:pc:

What else can you upgrade on any other laptop????

Batteries I guess, but I would much rather have the long lasting Apple battery than a non-Apple battery. Besides that, replacement is quite reasonable. 80 dollars to have it done.

Freak, what do you need a 4K computer for? That's insane.

Partial
09-20-2011, 05:11 PM
APPL produces one thing much better than it's competitors. Products.

T, FTFY

Scott Campbell
09-20-2011, 05:31 PM
T, FTFY

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the iFan(boy) 5. It's much bigger than last years model, yet noticeably slower. And it's got a new ARM processor that throws a football like a girl. :wink:

MJZiggy
09-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the iFan(boy) 5. It's much bigger than last years model, yet noticeably slower. And it's got a new ARM processor that throws a football like a girl. :wink:

Ah shit, Scott!!:lol:

mraynrand
09-20-2011, 05:38 PM
"I consider myself a Nerd"

http://gothamist.com/images/2004_01_toby.jpg

Freak Out
09-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Upgrade Ram (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270)

Upgrade Hard Drive (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3419)

Thanks....I downloaded the user guide for the 15 pro. Interesting that it says 8 gigs is the maximum amount of memory. WTF Partial? :)

Partial
09-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks....I downloaded the user guide for the 15 pro. Interesting that it says 8 gigs is the maximum amount of memory. WTF Partial? :)

Can most standard rigs take 16GB today? In the next year or two, whenever Haswell comes out, I'm gonna build a 8 or 16 core machine with 16GB ram and a super fast SSD. Until then I'm stuck on this moldy overclocked core 2 box.

retailguy
09-20-2011, 09:34 PM
What else can you upgrade on any other laptop????

the user experience.

retailguy
09-20-2011, 09:35 PM

I bought one of those but I had to return it when it injured its shoulder.

Partial
09-20-2011, 09:41 PM
the user experience.

I will assume that's your way of saying masta p is right

retailguy
09-20-2011, 10:45 PM

you think backwards. You get what you get with the apple. I have the freedom to change it, and I prefer it that way.

Partial
09-21-2011, 12:08 AM
you think backwards. You get what you get with the apple. I have the freedom to change it, and I prefer it that way.

False. On my iPhone, I can run iOs and Android. On my Mac, I can run Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. Can you run iOs on an Android phone? Can you run Mac OS on a PC (okay, yes to this one, but not legally).

GrnBay007
09-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm amazed that there are really people out there that care that much about phones!

SkinBasket
09-21-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm amazed that there are really people out there that care that much about phones!

person might be a more accurate.

Zool
09-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Can most standard rigs take 16GB today? In the next year or two, whenever Haswell comes out, I'm gonna build a 8 or 16 core machine with 16GB ram and a super fast SSD. Until then I'm stuck on this moldy overclocked core 2 box.

Unless there's been a recent change, I havent been keeping up lately, the current FSB has an 8g limit. With the crazy new multi-cores coming it will no doubt bump up in the next gen.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Very elegant chick phone?

Technology (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology)

The business and culture of our digital lives,
from the L.A. Times

Android for men, iPhone for women, smartphones for 29.7% of mobile subscribers, says Nielsen

Planning to get a smartphone? If you’re a woman, chances are you want an iPhone. Meanwhile, Mars residents are likely to go the Android route, according to new research from The Nielsen Co. (http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/us-smartphone-battle-heats-up/)

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/us-mobile-market-oct2010-51.png

Zool
09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Guess I'm either a chick or a gay dude. Better tell the GF. Hope she likes to experiment.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Guess I'm either a chick or a gay dude.

Well, we could have told you that a long time ago and saved you years of uncertainty.

But seriously, you get a pass for being a musician.

Partial
09-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Scotty my good boy, now that iPhone 5 is going to all the big carriers (except for evidently TMo, lame, must be ATT and their plan to keep their value low), it will look like this within a couple of years (okay, maybe not exactly like this, but you get the point).

70% iOs
15% Windows Phone
10% Android
5% RIM/Bada/Others

Cannot reiterate enough that people want a tight experience. iOS and Windows Phone provide that. Android does not. Windows 8 and Lion are pushing people towards this model.

Upnorth
09-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I hope that apple gets no where near a 70% market share. Having that large of a share reduces development for competition, which in the end reduces the product for the consumer. Apple definatley has the lead and pushes the market, but I hope they don't turn into a microsoft control of the market.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Cannot reiterate enough that people want a tight experience.

I guess that rules out Harlan.

retailguy
09-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Scotty my good boy, now that iPhone 5 is going to all the big carriers (except for evidently TMo, lame, must be ATT and their plan to keep their value low), it will look like this within a couple of years (okay, maybe not exactly like this, but you get the point).

70% iOs
15% Windows Phone
10% Android
5% RIM/Bada/Others

Cannot reiterate enough that people want a tight experience. iOS and Windows Phone provide that. Android does not. Windows 8 and Lion are pushing people towards this model.

Can you substantiate this, or did you pull it out of your ass?

Where is Symbian? Outside the US it is the most popular operating system, and Nokia just made it open source. It's going to completely disappear? On what basis? There is a whole world outside the US, and they LOVE Nokia phones. Or maybe, Nokia just employs people to put guns to your head when you walk in the cell phone shop until you buy a Nokia phone.

You do realize that worldwide acceptance of Android went from a 35% market share in Q1 2011 to 43% in Q2 2011? I highly doubt that porting the Iphone to Sprint is going to dramatically affect those numbers. You do also realize that Sprint is soon to be the smallest major US carrier and they're losing subscribers faster than you have lost your reputuation, right? Also, the largest acceptance of Android? Southeast Asia. Last time I checked there were just a "few" people over there....

I would have thought that your MBA marketing class would allow you to see the difference between "enthusiasm" and competition. But it doesn't seem to have worked....

Partial
09-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Can you substantiate this, or did you pull it out of your ass?

Out of my ass. It's my prediction for a few years down the road when factoring in tablets. I suppose it may be closer to 60% for Apple and 30% for Windows. These are foolish numbers to project, but I'm thinking big. Numbers aside, my prediction is that Android is squeezed out by Microsoft and Apple.

Where is Symbian? Outside the US it is the most popular operating system, and Nokia just made it open source. It's going to completely disappear? On what basis? There is a whole world outside the US, and they LOVE Nokia phones. Or maybe, Nokia just employs people to put guns to your head when you walk in the cell phone shop until you buy a Nokia phone.

Symbian is one hand left out of the grave. The rest is in it. It's old, it's slow, doesn't incorporate modern technologies. Why would any vendor choose this over Android, for example? No one would. Nokia is done with it. They're all in on Windows Phone 7. That's one of the reasons WP7 is going to blow up. It's really hard to find statistics on this because all of the stats on Symbian assume Nokia sticks with it.

You do realize that worldwide acceptance of Android went from a 35% market share in Q1 2011 to 43% in Q2 2011? I highly doubt that porting the Iphone to Sprint is going to dramatically affect those numbers. You do also realize that Sprint is soon to be the smallest major US carrier and they're losing subscribers faster than you have lost your reputuation, right? Also, the largest acceptance of Android? Southeast Asia. Last time I checked there were just a "few" people over there....

Android is making it's mark right now for sure. How many of those people are likely to be repeat purchasers? Probably not many. If stats are of value, 42% of Android users intend to switch to an iPhone for their next phone. 42%. That's just people leaving for the iPhone.

iOs is going to take Asia. Apple's presence in pre-paid is lacking to say the least. They are just entering the space. They're also just entering asia. Once they get on the two biggest networks in China it's going to be $$$ for Apple. iPad will be a huge player as well.

These next two years are the YOTTO for Apple. They recognize that the competition has stepped up. At least Samsung has. They're going to bring it and take care of the problem. Maybe Apple should just buy Samsung and take care of the problem that way :)

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 12:21 PM
If APPL can keeping innovating at the pace they have for the last 10 years, I have no doubt they'll be fine. But in 5 years, iOs should probably be the sideshow by then, and not the main attraction.

In general, when laymen start guaranteeing that investments can't possibly lose money, that's my cue to exit. See the .com bubble, and the housing bubble.

Partial
09-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Google: 2/3rds of our mobile search comes from Apple’s iOS

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/21/google-23rds-of-our-mobile-search-comes-from-apples-ios/

But as part of the testimony, Michel said briefly (before she was cut off) that 2/3rds of mobile search comes from Apple iOS devices. That’s pretty interesting considering the share of Android devices in the market. But not altogether surprising considering the web browser market share which includes those millions and millions of iPads.

Partial
09-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Mobile device brand retention rate:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/22/apples_iphone_has_89_retention_rate_next_nearest_h ardware_is_htc_at_39.html

http://photos.appleinsider.com/ubs-110922.jpg

The next nearest competitor to Apple in terms of hardware manufacturers is HTC, which earned a 39 percent retention rate among users surveyed by UBS Investment Research. The biggest loser in the survey was Research in Motion, whose retention rate has dropped from 62 percent to 33 percent in the last 18 months.

Rounding out the top five companies in terms of retention rates were two more Android vendors: Samsung and Motorola, earning 28 percent and 25 percent, respectively.

Android fared better when users were asked solely about software, as 55 percent said they would stick with Google's mobile platform. But an additional 31 percent of Android users also indicated they are likely to switch to an iPhone for their next handset, leaving Apple a sizable chunk Android users.

UBS analysts remarked that Apple's retention rates have held up "incredibly well," even as the market share of the iPhone continues to grow.

In fact, when looking solely at consumers who plan to switch smartphone makers, Apple is a huge net beneficiary. More than 50 percent of those looking to switch plan to buy an iPhone, while just 10 percent of switchers plan to ditch the iPhone.

I've cited other research studies with 42% of people leaving Android. Now we're seeing a new study with 55%. Ruh roh! Emphasis is my own.

UBS The investment firm has reiterated its "buy" rating for AAPL stock, with a price target of $510.

Zool
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I guess that rules out Harlan.

This made me laugh quite loud.

Zool
09-22-2011, 12:28 PM

This proved you are biased against Apple without direct foundation. Its actually quite common.

Zool
09-22-2011, 12:29 PM

This is why people think you're a blowhard douche.

Zool
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
The 3 preceding posts show I have little to add. Thank you for your time.

Freak Out
09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm going to upgrade phones here soon (the next month or so), my Nexus one is getting long in the tooth and my car dock/Satnav mount broke. I'm seriously looking at a windows phone. I have no problem with the Android OS and it's always getting better but I liked what In saw on a beta windows phone a friend has.

Partial
09-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm going to upgrade phones here soon (the next month or so), my Nexus one is getting long in the tooth and my car dock/Satnav mount broke. I'm seriously looking at a windows phone. I have no problem with the Android OS and it's always getting better but I liked what In saw on a beta windows phone a friend has.

Do it. Windows phone is sexy. Might want to wait for a hardware spec refresh (unless they just did it). The 1 ghz 2nd gen snapdragons are looking at little long in the tooth compared to the dual core Cortex A9 based chips.

Partial
09-22-2011, 04:13 PM
http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/22/why-android-isnt-catching-up-to-ipad-yet-gartner-says-its-the-software-stupid/

Gartner today revised their tablet numbers in the face of iPad’s dominance and weakening competition. Of the 63.6 million media tablets projected to ship this year, Gartner expects Apple’s iPad to account for nearly three-quarters of the global market, of 73.4 percent. The figure is based on an estimated 47 million iPads this year, a 9.6 percentage points drop from the 83 percent market share in 2010.

As for Android, about eleven million Android tablets should ship in the calendar year 2011 for a 17.3 percent market share

Apple delivers a superior and unified user experience across its hardware, software and services. Unless competitors can respond with a similar approach, challenges to Apple’s position will be minimal. Apple had the foresight to create this market and in doing that planned for it as far as component supplies such as memory and screen. This allowed Apple to bring the iPad out at a very competitive price and no compromise in experience among the different models that offer storage and connectivity options.

Gartner has pared back its estimates for Android tablet sales in 2011 by 28% over last quarter’s projections, identifying extremely weak adoption due to high prices, user interface issues, and limited app offerings. Only some success in low-cost Asian markets and strong expectations for Amazon’s forthcoming tablet kept Gartner from slashing projected Android device sales even further.

Freak Out
09-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Do it. Windows phone is sexy. Might want to wait for a hardware spec refresh (unless they just did it). The 1 ghz 2nd gen snapdragons are looking at little long in the tooth compared to the dual core Cortex A9 based chips.

Ya....I won't buy the current line of phones supporting windows. I'll wait for the refresh. Supposedly there is going to be a onslaught of phones here in the next month or two...IOS, Android and Windows.

Partial
09-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Ya....I won't buy the current line of phones supporting windows. I'll wait for the refresh. Supposedly there is going to be a onslaught of phones here in the next month or two...IOS, Android and Windows.

Mango is two weeks away. Lots of money to be made if you can dev for WP7. There aren't any apps and adoption is going to sky rocket.

retailguy
09-23-2011, 09:02 AM
This proved you are biased against Apple without direct foundation. Its actually quite common.

At this stage of the game, I probably am completely biased against Apple. I have a lot of frustration related to their products, how they market them, and how they keep tight controls and mandates over stupid things. In spite of this, I was actually very close to buying an IPAD 2 recently. But the apple blowhard convinced me that I wanted nothing to do with the products and their followers (mostly the followers).... so I bought an android tablet. I'm very glad I did.

To summarize my frustrations with Apple products:

I find it maddening to no end that apple mandates ITUNES. There is no reason for it, other than control. It's a crappy program, with subpar features. It has kept me from buying any IPOD devices, and is one of the major reasons that the IPAD 1's that my girls have are so frustrating for me to use. I simply despise ITUNES.

Next, the proprietary cables necessary to use additional functionality on the IPAD's my girls have is also frustrating. Yes, I realize that this is not exclusively Apple related, other companies have proprietary cabling as well, but it goes hand in hand with Apple's business model, a model that I don't like and do my damndest not to support.

Finally, there is no reason not to support flash. I understand that technology is changing, but there are a multitude of sites using flash today, and to not support it? Stupid. Move technology, change the direction, that's fine, but support the standard while it's the standard.... To do anything else is indefensible.

I have no direct experience with a mac, or a macbook, or a macbook air. I haven't used a mac since college in the late 80's. Seriously. I have no interest in their computers, and no need to own one or want one. I only buy thinkpads. It's been that way since my first one, a 486-20.... That gives you an idea on how long it has been. We bought my wife a Sony Vaio once, that'll never happen again.... My work computer is one of those "disposable Dell's" that apple fanboi keeps ranting about how "bad" they are. Funny thing though, it does everything I need it to do, and as a shareholder, I appreciate the fact that it wasn't expensive, since we have 37k of them in the US. My $100 blackberry fills its role quite nicely and it was cheap too. (It's 3 years old now, I think).... We do allow use of the IPHONE, but the security features that are employed here don't work very well with the IPHONE. A common occurence is having your IPHONE reset to factory settings accidentally. It's become so common, one of our techs has become an expert at rebuilding them... We don't have this problem with the blackberrys, I'm not tech savvy so I have no idea why. The techs hate the IPHONE though. Makes too much extra, unnecessary work for them, I guess.

So, yes, I'm biased against Apple products. I have no interest in them and don't share the hype about them. They fill a niche market, and do it quite nicely, but the "perception" that there aren't viable alternatives out there is simply ridiculous.

Zool
09-23-2011, 09:32 AM
At this stage of the game, I probably am completely biased against Apple. I have a lot of frustration related to their products, how they market them, and how they keep tight controls and mandates over stupid things. In spite of this, I was actually very close to buying an IPAD 2 recently. But the apple blowhard convinced me that I wanted nothing to do with the products and their followers (mostly the followers).... so I bought an android tablet. I'm very glad I did.

I didn't say there's anything wrong with it, and its quite a common theme because of people like P who tout it so often. I'm a big fan of their OS for most things but I just use a Hackintosh build when I get ambitious. Most of the time I'm Win7 still.

To summarize my frustrations with Apple products:

I find it maddening to no end that apple mandates ITUNES. There is no reason for it, other than control. It's a crappy program, with subpar features. It has kept me from buying any IPOD devices, and is one of the major reasons that the IPAD 1's that my girls have are so frustrating for me to use. I simply despise ITUNES.

This almost stopped me from getting an iPhone. It's a shit app.

Next, the proprietary cables necessary to use additional functionality on the IPAD's my girls have is also frustrating. Yes, I realize that this is not exclusively Apple related, other companies have proprietary cabling as well, but it goes hand in hand with Apple's business model, a model that I don't like and do my damndest not to support.

Meh, not a huge deal to me, they all do it. Apple just charges 25% more for cabling.

Finally, there is no reason not to support flash. I understand that technology is changing, but there are a multitude of sites using flash today, and to not support it? Stupid. Move technology, change the direction, that's fine, but support the standard while it's the standard.... To do anything else is indefensible.

Flash is a battery destroyer and Adobe has no hard feelings about leaving it as such. Use Flash for 30 minutes and you'll be recharging. It really shouldn't be used on hand held mobile devices unless battery tech is greatly upgraded.

I have no direct experience with a mac, or a macbook, or a macbook air. I haven't used a mac since college in the late 80's. Seriously. I have no interest in their computers, and no need to own one or want one. I only buy thinkpads. It's been that way since my first one, a 486-20.... That gives you an idea on how long it has been. We bought my wife a Sony Vaio once, that'll never happen again.... My work computer is one of those "disposable Dell's" that apple fanboi keeps ranting about how "bad" they are. Funny thing though, it does everything I need it to do, and as a shareholder, I appreciate the fact that it wasn't expensive, since we have 37k of them in the US. My $100 blackberry fills its role quite nicely and it was cheap too. (It's 3 years old now, I think).... We do allow use of the IPHONE, but the security features that are employed here don't work very well with the IPHONE. A common occurence is having your IPHONE reset to factory settings accidentally. It's become so common, one of our techs has become an expert at rebuilding them... We don't have this problem with the blackberrys, I'm not tech savvy so I have no idea why. The techs hate the IPHONE though. Makes too much extra, unnecessary work for them, I guess.

My first computer was a Packard Bell Pentium 100, so I'm not too far off from you. If you did any sort of video/audio/photograph editing or recording you'd want to use a Mac. The software and hardware interfaces are far superior. Its not even close. If you don't its personal preference.

I will say that Dell is killing itself by using shit hardware. My company has 25000+ workstations and at one point we had to replace 3000 motherboards. All were Dells and all were a known faulty piece of hardware. We have since switched to HP workstations. Dell used to be known for quality hardware but like most companies they got away from that in favor of the bottom line to their own demise. (see Gateway Computers Inc)

So, yes, I'm biased against Apple products. I have no interest in them and don't share the hype about them. They fill a niche market, and do it quite nicely, but the "perception" that there aren't viable alternatives out there is simply ridiculous.

It's not exactly a niche market but I get what you're saying. They have their place that's for sure but I said this 15 years ago and I'll say it now. I'd be surprised if they ever get past 25% saturation in the PC market. So far I've been right.

retailguy
09-23-2011, 12:02 PM
I didn't say there's anything wrong with it, and its quite a common theme because of people like P who tout it so often. I'm a big fan of their OS for most things but I just use a Hackintosh build when I get ambitious. Most of the time I'm Win7 still.

I still remain mystified that they don't separately market the operating system. Everyone (even besides apple fanboi's in general) rave about it. Why not market it? To me, this is where the whole "closed system" marketing ideas fail. Get folks interested in your hardware, by using your software...

Everyone hates Windows. Linux wouldn't have a "cult following" if Windows didn't suck. Folks just don't want to "pay the premium" for Apple hardware. Honestly, I get what you're saying about Dell, and I agree, but it's what folks are willing to pay, so it sells. And sells well.

The hatred of Windows would lead to the purchase of a suitable alternative for many. I just don't get it.

This almost stopped me from getting an iPhone. It's a shit app.

I can't believe how horrible it is. My old, old creative MP3 player uses almost any method to transfer files that I want. I don't need to use the creative software (not that it probably even works anymore with windows 7).

Meh, not a huge deal to me, they all do it. Apple just charges 25% more for cabling.

If the rest of the stuff they did didn't exist, and the elitest fools weren't hyping insignificant crap all the time, I could probably roll my eyes, ignore my frustrations and buy the damn cable. But right now? I'd probably hang myself with the damn thing. No way.

Flash is a battery destroyer and Adobe has no hard feelings about leaving it as such. Use Flash for 30 minutes and you'll be recharging. It really shouldn't be used on hand held mobile devices unless battery tech is greatly upgraded.

Like I said, I'm all for changing the market. I have no problem with flash disappearing. That being said, if I choose to watch a flash video with my tablet, then I also choose to plug the damn thing in shortly. My choice. I don't need "big brother" making that decision for me. I'll certainly not feel sorry for adobe when flash's demise hits. In the meantime? I want to watch the video occasionally and live with the results.

My first computer was a Packard Bell Pentium 100, so I'm not too far off from you. If you did any sort of video/audio/photograph editing or recording you'd want to use a Mac. The software and hardware interfaces are far superior. Its not even close. If you don't its personal preference.

I will say that Dell is killing itself by using shit hardware. My company has 25000+ workstations and at one point we had to replace 3000 motherboards. All were Dells and all were a known faulty piece of hardware. We have since switched to HP workstations. Dell used to be known for quality hardware but like most companies they got away from that in favor of the bottom line to their own demise. (see Gateway Computers Inc)

Yeah, I don't edit photos. Don't even understand how to, and am not interested in learning. But, I know a guy who does fantastic work, he's edited a few photos for me, and he raves about how easy the mac is to use. Just never tried it.

Understand what you are saying about Dell. This is a systemic problem with American business. Dell has paid for repairs to a bunch of machines. Sadly, it seems to be a more profitable model than building things the right way. I did recommend the purchase of 6 HP laptops for one of my clients. Seemed to be the best buy out there on the market. He did ask me if I'd buy them, and I said I wouldn't as I'd buy the equivalent Lenovo, but I did admit the specs were better and with the sale price he could get, they were also cheaper. Good buy for him.

It's not exactly a niche market but I get what you're saying. They have their place that's for sure but I said this 15 years ago and I'll say it now. I'd be surprised if they ever get past 25% saturation in the PC market. So far I've been right.

Well, I used the term "niche" to mean insignificant. On the PC front, their market share is definitely that. On the other products, they're really not a necessary part of the business world. The IPHONE might be becoming necessary (smart phones in general) in a small segment of the market, but most of us would continue to exist and be successful without them. The IPOD and IPAD? Unquestioned successes, but again, not critical pieces of equipment for most people. I use my mp3 player and enjoy my tablet, but I've not needed the "apple specific" ones, nor needed to spend the premium to get one.

MJZiggy
09-23-2011, 12:16 PM
I dunno. I've used Photoshop on a PC and on a Mac. I don't really see a difference, but would it kill Mac to put a scroll wheel on the damn mouse?

Freak Out
09-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't hate Windows....in fact Windows 7 has been pretty much hassle free.....I can't say that about Snow Kitty. I like the latest Ubuntu Linux build...install was a total breeze and it's a pretty damn functional package.

retailguy
09-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't hate Windows....in fact Windows 7 has been pretty much hassle free.....I can't say that about Snow Kitty. I like the latest Ubuntu Linux build...install was a total breeze and it's a pretty damn functional package.

Windows 7 on a new pc? Hassle free or darn close. Upgraded on an older pc? Still has problems.

Never used snow kitty or Ubuntu.... Had an eee pc a while back that had linux. It worked. Wasn't flashy but it worked.

Ziggy - scroll wheels are like Flash. Big brother has determined that they're unnecessary.

Partial
09-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I still remain mystified that they don't separately market the operating system. Everyone (even besides apple fanboi's in general) rave about it. Why not market it? To me, this is where the whole "closed system" marketing ideas fail. Get folks interested in your hardware, by using your software...

I'm sure they've done the math. They're a hardware company. Not a software company. The OS is amazing. I'm glad you admitted it. The OS is clearly superior to Windows in terms of user friendliness and security.

Everyone hates Windows. Linux wouldn't have a "cult following" if Windows didn't suck. Folks just don't want to "pay the premium" for Apple hardware. Honestly, I get what you're saying about Dell, and I agree, but it's what folks are willing to pay, so it sells. And sells well.

So, you hate Windows, but you don't want to pay a little bit more money to enjoy what you use for 8-12 hours a day? Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb (south park style). That's really god damn cheap if I do say so myself. BTW, how is your geo metro.... Oh wait... You drive a Mercedes.

The hatred of Windows would lead to the purchase of a suitable alternative for many. I just don't get it.

Hardware company. Apple has addressed this in the past.

I can't believe how horrible it is. My old, old creative MP3 player uses almost any method to transfer files that I want. I don't need to use the creative software (not that it probably even works anymore with windows 7).

The company selling you the iPod wants you to use the product that it uses to sell music. Shocker. How is this not the ideal solution if you're not pirating music? Buy music from industry leading music store, put on device. Boom. Simple. iTunes problem is it's bloated so software. They're gutting it for iTunes 11 and making it just a jukebox/store again and I cannot wait.

Like I said, I'm all for changing the market. I have no problem with flash disappearing. That being said, if I choose to watch a flash video with my tablet, then I also choose to plug the damn thing in shortly. My choice. I don't need "big brother" making that decision for me. I'll certainly not feel sorry for adobe when flash's demise hits. In the meantime? I want to watch the video occasionally and live with the results.

Most Flash videos are H264 anyway. Youtube and Vimeo, for example. I can't say that I have found a situation where I've wished I had flash on an iPad beyond when I was reading Flex documentation and examples (so the flash player example wouldn't load). That happened once in probably 50 hours. It's a non-issue that people try to turn into something that matters. How the hell is this a marketing point for other tablets is beyond me. So dumb and playing to the morons.

Understand what you are saying about Dell. This is a systemic problem with American business. Dell has paid for repairs to a bunch of machines. Sadly, it seems to be a more profitable model than building things the right way. I did recommend the purchase of 6 HP laptops for one of my clients. Seemed to be the best buy out there on the market. He did ask me if I'd buy them, and I said I wouldn't as I'd buy the equivalent Lenovo, but I did admit the specs were better and with the sale price he could get, they were also cheaper. Good buy for him.

There is absolutely no way that it is cheaper to have one in 3 people out of comission (not able to work) for weeks at a time when their machines are being repaired, then restored, then set-up then just buying quality to begin with and not having these issues.

Well, I used the term "niche" to mean insignificant. On the PC front, their market share is definitely that. On the other products, they're really not a necessary part of the business world. The IPHONE might be becoming necessary (smart phones in general) in a small segment of the market, but most of us would continue to exist and be successful without them. The IPOD and IPAD? Unquestioned successes, but again, not critical pieces of equipment for most people. I use my mp3 player and enjoy my tablet, but I've not needed the "apple specific" ones, nor needed to spend the premium to get one.

Market share, sure. So is Mercedes and BMW. They're extremely profitable. Their market share is growing and soon won't be insigificant. People that use Macs use computers more, so people are going to start catering to them as their market share increases.

Too long.. Have to slice in two.

Partial
09-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I dunno. I've used Photoshop on a PC and on a Mac. I don't really see a difference, but would it kill Mac to put a scroll wheel on the damn mouse?

Why? You can drag two fingers and scroll. Inertial scrolling is incredible and has been a game changer in computing. It has led to Windows Phone 7 and likely Windows 8 to copy it. Android has as well. Scroll wheels are dead.

Has nothing to do with Big Brother, RG. It's called pushing technology forward. Someone needs to move on from the status quo. I'll give you that it's easier for Apple with it's smaller market share and smaller enterprise footsteps. If Apple didn't move on from legacy tech.... Android would look and function like a blackberry, multitouch wouldn't exist, trackpads would still suck balls and be un-useable, keyboards would be garbage, backlit keyboards wouldn't exist, music would sitll be bought on CDs, etc.

Apple leaves legacy technology behind. Someone has to do it for the betterment of society. Not a huge deal. Scroll wheels still work. Plug in a different mouse if you want a scroll wheel. I'd much rather have the inertial scrolling.

Have you ever used it? What is sub par? What is so bad about it? I agree that it is very un-apple to manage videos, music and even some docs (for synching to iDevices) in iTunes. This is soon changing so this argument is pretty much moot.

You really think finding a mini-hdmi or micro-usb cable is more common than a generic iPod cable? You say you like to shop on monoprice... I do too... I can easily buy an iPod cable for pretty much the same price as a micro-usb.

Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. I got hired at my current job for my ability to write Flex code, which is a framework built in flash. It's a garbage product that runs like shit. It doesn't support multi-touch. It's so much slower than an equivalent HTML application it's not even funny. The technology is there today, GWT, Sproutcore, etc. Flash is completely unnecessary and since it doesn't have any hardware acceleration on anything but Windows, it is slow as shit.

A Youtube video should not spike a CPU to 100%. That's absolutely ridiculous.

The ultimate legacy friendly product, Internet Explorer, is not going to allow for flash in Windows 8. Read that one more time.

FLASH WILL NOT WORK IN INTERNET EXPLORER IN WINDOWS 8. FLASH WILL NOT WORK IN INTERNET EXPLORER IN WINDOWS 8.

Flash is basically dead. The day Windows 8 hits is the day it officially dies. Thank Apple for that one.

I have no direct experience with a mac, or a macbook, or a macbook air. I haven't used a mac since college in the late 80's.

So, you really think you're in a position to discuss whether they're superior or inferior? This is such a joke dude. You're clearly judging a book by it's cover. THERE IS A REASON APPLE IS THE ONE OF THE MOST PROFITABLE COMPANIES IN THE WORLD. THEY MAKE INCREDIBLE PRODUCTS WITH THE USER IN MIND.

Seriously. I have no interest in their computers, and no need to own one or want one. I only buy thinkpads.

Funny. Thinkpads are garbage since they went to Lenovo. I've had one at work for awhile. They're huge, bulky, heavy, shitty displays, shitty keyboards, shitty trackpads, no multitouch, no backlight on the keyboards, crap battery life, and the CLITORIS my god the CLITORIS! This was my experience with a Core 2 Duo Thinkpad w/ 4 GB of ram, etc. A beast of a machine a few years back when I was given it. It had the extended battery and could maybe get 3 hrs... What a fricking joke.

It's been that way since my first one, a 486-20.... That gives you an idea on how long it has been. We bought my wife a Sony Vaio once, that'll never happen again.... My work computer is one of those "disposable Dell's" that apple fanboi keeps ranting about how "bad" they are. Funny thing though, it does everything I need it to do, and as a shareholder, I appreciate the fact that it wasn't expensive, since we have 37k of them in the US. My $100 blackberry fills its role quite nicely and it was cheap too. (It's 3 years old now, I think).... We do allow use of the IPHONE, but the security features that are employed here don't work very well with the IPHONE. A common occurence is having your IPHONE reset to factory settings accidentally. It's become so common, one of our techs has become an expert at rebuilding them... We don't have this problem with the blackberrys, I'm not tech savvy so I have no idea why. The techs hate the IPHONE though. Makes too much extra, unnecessary work for them, I guess.

As a share holder shouldn't you want your company to have the tools that allow people to most productive instead of how cheap they are? Your 100$ blackberry wasn't 100 dollars when it was new. It may do email and bbm well... but that's it. No multitouch, no webkit browser, etc. Your companies IT clearly sucks. I've worked for a fortune 100 company that is phasing in the iPhone and they never have these problems. iPhone has excellent enterprise support since iOs 2 (iOs 5 is coming out early October).

There are viable alternatives. They're equally expensive, and typically lower quality. You're clearly biased because you're too afraid you might like a luxury good -- like your delta bravo mercedes -- and become hooked on the experience.

mraynrand
09-23-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a MacBook Pro as my laptop and built my own home "PC" from an Asus board, etc. etc for the family. The thing I like best about the Mac is it almost never freezes, it never crashes, it never gets infected (I've had a Mac laptop for 10 years and never had to install antivirus software), and it does almost everything the other computer can do - some video codecs don't translate well between the two platforms - that's annoying. The Mac cost well over a thousand more though. Damn expensive.

Partial
09-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I have a MacBook Pro as my laptop and built my own home "PC" from an Asus board, etc. etc for the family. The thing I like best about the Mac is it almost never freezes, it never crashes, it never gets infected (I've had a Mac laptop for 10 years and never had to install antivirus software), and it does almost everything the other computer can do - some video codecs don't translate well between the two platforms - that's annoying. The Mac cost well over a thousand more though. Damn expensive.

Expensive, yes, but not any more than an equivalent Dell, HP, etc. Yes, it's more expensive than the cheapest Dell, HP, etc. It's expensive, but it's worth it, it never crashes, it never freezes, it never gets infected, as you said! It has a multitouch trackpad, a backlit keyboard, a beautiful display, etc. Keep fighting the good fight man!

Scott Campbell
09-23-2011, 04:25 PM
The best thing about Macs is how they effortlessly make julienne fries. It also kicks the crap out of my George Foreman grill.

Freak Out
09-23-2011, 04:30 PM
This have turned into a extremely boring money post.

retailguy
09-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the good discussion Zool & Freak. I enjoyed it.

Madtown, you're a complete jackass for allowing this imbecile to ruin your forum.

mraynrand
09-23-2011, 09:17 PM

Madtown, you're a complete jackass for allowing this imbecile to ruin your forum.

I'm sorry

mraynrand
09-23-2011, 09:19 PM

I routinely use photoshop on both platforms. There really is no difference - you have to have comparable RAM and processing speed though, and my experience is that the Mac is gonna cost you more - at least $500.

MJZiggy
09-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Windows 7 on a new pc? Hassle free or darn close. Upgraded on an older pc? Still has problems.

Never used snow kitty or Ubuntu.... Had an eee pc a while back that had linux. It worked. Wasn't flashy but it worked.

Ziggy - scroll wheels are like Flash. Big brother has determined that they're unnecessary.

Good to know that Windows 7 is iffy as an upgrade. I need to get a new copy of the Adobe Suite and I was thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 while I'm spending money I can't spend yet.

retailguy
09-23-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry

You should be sorry. What were you thinking? You should have built your laptop from spare parts discarded behind a non-descript building in Cupertino.

retailguy
09-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Good to know that Windows 7 is iffy as an upgrade. I need to get a new copy of the Adobe Suite and I was thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 while I'm spending money I can't spend yet.

Ziggy, you should get your computer concerns answered by appleinsider.com.

mraynrand
09-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Funny. Thinkpads are garbage since they went to Lenovo. I've had one at work for awhile. They're huge, bulky, heavy, shitty displays, shitty keyboards, shitty trackpads, no multitouch, no backlight on the keyboards, crap battery life, and the CLITORIS my god the CLITORIS! This was my experience with a Core 2 Duo Thinkpad w/ 4 GB of ram, etc. A beast of a machine a few years back when I was given it. It had the extended battery and could maybe get 3 hrs... What a fricking joke.

That's pretty much what I bought for the wife and my kid. For the money, you can't beat it. You just have to expect it to have maybe a 70% lifespan of a Mac, but for the cost savings (about 1/3 to 1/2 of the equivalent Mac) it's not a bad deal

mraynrand
09-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Zig, I just did a clean install of windows7 on an older computer - no upgrade. I bought someone's disk for a reduced price, rather than a new copy. I still use photoshop 7 or CS3 for most stuff - what do you need the new suite for?

MJZiggy
09-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Because I upgraded to a very nice Toshiba for the sole purpose of upgrading from CS2. I never installed CS2 on the new machine and the very old computer (that I gave to my son) was having trouble so I uninstalled it. Since I still don't know for sure whether the new client will hire me, I need it in case they don't. If they do hire me, then I just want it because it's easier to toss a file onto a flash drive and bring it home to work on. When they brought me in, they got me a new HP with Windows 7 and CS5. I thought it would be nice to be compatible and it might be nice to do something with my website that I haven't touched in 3 years.

Partial
09-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Ha. My posts were actually extremely well thought out and elegantly put. You're a fucking idiot, guy. I really hope I encounter you again.

You're talking about a product like an expert when you haven't used one. You have an opinion on the topic... and you really shouldn't. That makes you an uninformed fucking moron. Quite possibly the stupidest person on these boards. You're talking about technology that you don't understand at all. You're one cheap and stupid guy. It makes me feel very confident in my future because I have no doubt that my intelligence and mental capacity far exceeds yours.

You're such a cheap mother fucker that you want to use a bottom of the barrel piece of shit instead of something nice when you use the aforementioned device probably 80ish hours a week. I'm surprised you don't drive a moped. That, my friend, makes you an idiot.

Clearly you don't value yourself or your time. I'm quite certain you have issues with basic mathematics as well.

mraynrand
09-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Ha. My posts were actually extremely well thought out and elegantly put........ mathematics as well.

you didn't need to do this. I suggest you delete your post and let Retail fall on his own sword.

Freak Out
09-24-2011, 12:37 AM

It depends what hardware you have to begin with. I upgraded a Dell Inspiron laptop I had laying around (core 2 duo) and when from Vista to 7 smoothly. I use it as a guest computer for visitors and a music server.

Freak Out
09-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Man....let the good times roll. :)

easy cheesy
09-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Man....let the good times roll. :)

Right? LOL!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk4iOmb-osk

Iron Mike
09-24-2011, 11:11 AM
This have turned into a extremely boring money post.

I know, right?

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306826_2310042393191_1313292694_2628368_4015793_n. jpg

retailguy
09-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Ha. My posts were actually extremely well thought out and elegantly put. You're a fucking idiot, guy. I really hope I encounter you again.

You're talking about a product like an expert when you haven't used one. You have an opinion on the topic... and you really shouldn't. That makes you an uninformed fucking moron. Quite possibly the stupidest person on these boards. You're talking about technology that you don't understand at all. You're one cheap and stupid guy. It makes me feel very confident in my future because I have no doubt that my intelligence and mental capacity far exceeds yours.

You're such a cheap mother fucker that you want to use a bottom of the barrel piece of shit instead of something nice when you use the aforementioned device probably 80ish hours a week. I'm surprised you don't drive a moped. That, my friend, makes you an idiot.

Clearly you don't value yourself or your time. I'm quite certain you have issues with basic mathematics as well.

I quoted this so there is a permanent record. One day, I will make you eat each and every one of these words. Count on it. Your last three posts are so riddled with inaccuracies and unfounded accusations I can't even believe you are this ignorant. You are a spoiled little boy. Watching you grow up is gonna be FUN. I will so enjoy watching life kick your ass. I will remind you each and every time it happens. I will never miss an opportunity. Never.

You would be hard pressed to find anywhere when I weighed in against a macbook (for anything other than mindless sarcasm). Never used one, don't want to. My complaints have been related to the IPOD and the IPAD, places I do have experience. Enough to know I don't like them. My "praise" if you could call it that, is completely third hand. Would it stand up to a market share similar to Windows? No idea, but that's a good test. Too bad they're too stupid to give it a try.

"They're a hardware company". WTF does that even mean? You sell what sells, if you have ANY brains at all. You OWE your shareholders nothing less than that. It is malfeasance and mismanagement to do anything else. If you don't want to do this, then don't become a publicly held company. Once you are, you're justifiably held to that standard.

By any standard but yours, my "stuff" is not cheap, bottom of the barrel stuff, but when you're young and ignorant, that's all you got, so you use it. At the end of the day, I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never will be", which is where you are. All your advice is based on "theory" instead of experience, because you have NONE.

Finally - I'm done with this thread and this discussion. I won't engage with you further on it. So go ahead, make the last post (it would be impossible for you to do otherwise), and let's let this one die. I will bump it at some point in the future, you can count on that, but until Apple screws up, let's let it die a painful death. When Apple crashes, I will throw a party at the "cheap mother fucking" homestead to celebrate. We can swim in my "cheap mother fucking" pool, go for beer in my "cheap mother fucking" car, and play with my "cheap mother fucking" android tablets, while watching my "cheap motherfucking tv's".

Sounds like fun to me.

mraynrand
09-25-2011, 01:07 PM
I quoted this so there is a permanent record. ..... me.

you didn't need to do this. I suggest you delete your post and let Partial fall on his own sword. :wink:

retailguy
09-25-2011, 01:12 PM
you didn't need to do this. I suggest you delete your post and let Partial fall on his own sword. :wink:

good one. :)

I owe it to the young generation to help them grow up. When they refuse, it's my duty to push them down on the sword.

Partial
09-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Your last three posts are so riddled with inaccuracies and unfounded accusations I can't even believe you are this ignorant.

Such as? Please provide citations. Otherwise this is libel.

You are a spoiled little boy. Watching you grow up is gonna be FUN. I will so enjoy watching life kick your ass. I will remind you each and every time it happens. I will never miss an opportunity. Never.

Thats a little pathetic. You need to get a life guy.

You would be hard pressed to find anywhere when I weighed in against a macbook (for anything other than mindless sarcasm). Never used one, don't want to. My complaints have been related to the IPOD and the IPAD, places I do have experience. Enough to know I don't like them. My "praise" if you could call it that, is completely third hand. Would it stand up to a market share similar to Windows? No idea, but that's a good test. Too bad they're too stupid to give it a try.

Seeing as they're worth more than Microsoft today, I'd say they're doing just fine... I trust Steve Jobs and Tim Cooks sense of business over yours.

"They're a hardware company". WTF does that even mean?

This means exactly what it says. Apple is a hardware company, not a software company, per Steve Jobs. I don't remember the exact keynote, but Steve made mention how Apple Inc. while changing their name from Apple Computers Inc. to Apple Inc. is and always will be a hardware company first. They write their own software to supplement their beautiful hardware.

Basically, they're a user experience company. Not a vendor selling silo'd product.

You sell what sells, if you have ANY brains at all. You OWE your shareholders nothing less than that. It is malfeasance and mismanagement to do anything else. If you don't want to do this, then don't become a publicly held company. Once you are, you're justifiably held to that standard.

That is really stupid and shows a lack of business sense. You don't sell something just because it sells. You sell something to make money - Period. End of story. I'm sure that Apple has plenty of statisticians crunching the numbers and they chose the route they take because it will make the most money.

Furthermore, it's crystal clear to me that you don't understand the value of branding and upholding an image. Apple has no desire in tarnishing their near-flawless branding by running/supporting their software on some garbage hardware. Not only will this damage the brand, but stifle innovation.

By any standard but yours, my "stuff" is not cheap, bottom of the barrel stuff, but when you're young and ignorant, that's all you got, so you use it. At the end of the day, I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never will be", which is where you are. All your advice is based on "theory" instead of experience, because you have NONE.

Your stuff is cheap. It's low end. You have some ghetto iPod knock-off instead of going with the de facto standard of mobile music. You also are in the counter-culture of hippies thinking that Android on tablets is cool. There is a reason that shit is not selling at all except to idiots like you.

Never will be? Child please. You don't have the brains, vision or drive that I have. Your lack of understanding of the value of a brand shows this.

Finally - I'm done with this thread and this discussion. I won't engage with you further on it.

Good, because you don't know a damn thing about technology, business, etc.

So go ahead, make the last post (it would be impossible for you to do otherwise), and let's let this one die. I will bump it at some point in the future, you can count on that, but until Apple screws up, let's let it die a painful death. When Apple crashes, I will throw a party at the "cheap mother fucking" homestead to celebrate. We can swim in my "cheap mother fucking" pool, go for beer in my "cheap mother fucking" car, and play with my "cheap mother fucking" android tablets, while watching my "cheap motherfucking tv's".

Sounds like fun to me.

That's because you don't know what fun is. Apple is going to screw up someday, no doubt, but I'll be out of the game long before that onto the next big thing.

While I have no doubt that you can balance a check book and maybe even read a bar graph, it's quite clear to me that you don't have any clue what your typical person wants in a product, what technologies are relevant (flash discussion), how a business creates a successful product, etc. The selling comments you made were truly ridiculous and show a fundamental lack of understand of brand and vision.

Partial
09-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Worth nothing for those previously hating on the Apple stores. As a consumer, they're by far the best stores I've shopped at. Smart staff who doesn't pressure you into crap, etc. Extremely helpful!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20096519-17/another-apple-win-retail-sales-per-square-foot/

http://retailsails.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/top20_spsf4.png

Scott Campbell
09-26-2011, 09:51 AM
So basically, APPL is a can't miss investment. Just like Vince Young was a can't miss QB.

mraynrand
09-26-2011, 10:13 AM
So basically, APPL is a can't miss investment. Just like Vince Young was a can't miss QB.

VINCE IS COMING IN FOR VICK DA GREAT DIS WEEKEND! HIS STOCK BE RISIN'

VYN of the NYSE:

http://www.gold-speculator.com/attachments/investmentscore-com/212d1225468383-party-time-lets-celebrate-1_daily_poor.jpg

Zool
09-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Apple has the "it" factor that no one else has.

I know I've said this on here maybe 50 times, but if you keep talking to him, he's going to keep talking back to you. It's what he enjoys. He could care less if he's right or wrong. You're arguing with yourself really.

Dont feed the troll and the troll will eventually get bored and leave.

As for iTunes, I fucking hate the fact that it defaults itself to auto-synch when you plug in your device. When you chose to update manually, it wipes all the files on your device. So I set it to manual at home, put music on. I get to work and want to add more music I have to set it yet again to manual where it wipes all my files yet again. When I reload my home or work computer, I start the cycle all over again. Fuck iTunes. Read the fucking device and see what my prefs are. Don't fucking tell me what my prefs are then make me change them and fuck with me when I do. </itunesrant>

Partial
09-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah, iTunes isn't the best for synching. It is, however, still the best music player/store despite it's bloated software glory. Luckily, iCloud will solve both of these problems. Better synching, slimmed down iTunes yeah buddy!

VY has a pretty darn good record as a starter. He may be off his rocker, but you can't deny he wins. If coaches keep their jobs with a winning record, why doesn't he with his ~65% winning percentage??

This stuff is a little scary, but in general I attribute it to everyone under the sun knowing that Apple is very late with their iPhone refresh and it would be foolish to buy one now.

http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/NIELSEN-OS-Share-released-Sept-26.png

Scott Campbell
09-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Apple has the "it" factor that no one else has.

I know I've said this on here maybe 50 times, but if you keep talking to him, he's going to keep talking back to you. It's what he enjoys. He could care less if he's right or wrong. You're arguing with yourself really.

Dont feed the troll and the troll will eventually get bored and leave.

As for iTunes, I fucking hate the fact that it defaults itself to auto-synch when you plug in your device. When you chose to update manually, it wipes all the files on your device. So I set it to manual at home, put music on. I get to work and want to add more music I have to set it yet again to manual where it wipes all my files yet again. When I reload my home or work computer, I start the cycle all over again. Fuck iTunes. Read the fucking device and see what my prefs are. Don't fucking tell me what my prefs are then make me change them and fuck with me when I do. </itunesrant>

The iTunes issue is one of convenience. The iPod hardware issue is that it lacks a bit in sound reproduction capability.

Freak Out
09-26-2011, 12:46 PM
iTunes still pisses me off but I have to say the music store has gotten much better the last year. Lots of obscure stuff I was not finding before.

Partial
09-26-2011, 02:28 PM
The "Assistant" rumors for iOs 5 sound like a game changer. The level of voice control sounds soooooo much greater than anything the competition has. It sounds really incredible. We'll have to see how they pull it off.

Partial
09-26-2011, 02:37 PM
The future looks bright.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ao?s=AAPL+Analyst+Opinion

Partial
09-27-2011, 01:13 PM
It's the little things that make Apple special. Their marketing is incredible. Even down to the invites for their press conference. Emphasis on design throughout.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/09/apple-iphone-event.jpg

Partial
09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/chart_ws_stock_microsoftcorp_201192751654-08.png

MJZiggy
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/chart_ws_stock_microsoftcorp_201192751654-08.png

Precisely what is the right axis supposed to represent?

Partial
09-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Precisely what is the right axis supposed to represent?

Growth. Bottom axis is years. It was from an interesting cnn article about how Ballmer is pretty much killing MS. I personally think MSes future is bright if they stick with Metro and UX instead of the complex Windows we know today.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/27/steve-ballmer-has-done-to-microsoft-what-george-w-bush-did-to-the-united-states/

One thing I don't get about MS is where all of their R&D money goes. They invest as heavily as anyone in R&D but it doesn't seem they have much that is consumer facing to show for it.

MJZiggy
09-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Growth. Bottom axis is years. It was from an interesting cnn article about how Ballmer is pretty much killing MS. I personally think MSes future is bright if they stick with Metro and UX instead of the complex Windows we know today.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/27/steve-ballmer-has-done-to-microsoft-what-george-w-bush-did-to-the-united-states/

One thing I don't get about MS is where all of their R&D money goes. They invest as heavily as anyone in R&D but it doesn't seem they have much that is consumer facing to show for it.

Isn't MS dominant in the market?

Partial
09-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Isn't MS dominant in the market?

In traditional computer operating system, yes. In most other consumer-oriented ventures, they're much less so.

MJZiggy
09-27-2011, 07:26 PM
In traditional computer operating system, yes. In most other consumer-oriented ventures, they're much less so.

Where is their growth to come from?

Partial
09-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Where is their growth to come from?

That graph shows slight negative growth. Apple is strictly a consumer experience company so all of their growth is there.

MJZiggy
09-27-2011, 07:32 PM
That graph shows slight negative growth. Apple is strictly a consumer experience company so all of their growth is there.

That's not what I asked.

Partial
09-27-2011, 07:32 PM
That's not what I asked.

What?

MJZiggy
09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
What?
Where does MS growth come from?

Partial
09-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Where does MS growth come from?

What do you mean? They don't have any as the graph clearly displays. In fact, they have negative growth.

MJZiggy
09-27-2011, 07:56 PM
What do you mean? They don't have any as the graph clearly displays. In fact, they have negative growth.

Think! Critically!

Partial
09-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Think! Critically!

You worded your question very poorly. It's a really stupid question. Where is Microsoft supposed to grow you ask? IDK, maybe all of the fields that Apple/Google/whomever has beat them in?? The Zune was a failure. Windows Phone 7 is incredible and would be the talk of industry instead of Android if it came out 2 years earlier. There are countless examples of this. For a company of their size, why are they not creating new products and creating entire markets? Apple did this with the iPad, iPod and iPhone. What has Microsoft done this in? Google is better at search and web services. Apple is better at integrated user experiences.

Their failures in consumer electronics are truly shocking and quite well documented. They have the home court advantage and could make a truly wonderful experience (like Apple does) so easily... They have the OS market, so everyone is already running for their software... If they could just get the integration and hardware parts down they'd be unstoppable. Fortunately for Apple, Microsoft didn't really innovate for the last 10 years so they did not use this to their advantage. As I've been saying for weeks... right now, with Windows 8 and WP7, this is the most exciting time in Redmond that I can remember, so ~15 years or so.

MadtownPacker
09-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Partial - Are you gonna start this shit again? I can see the path you are on. Why do you have to put me in a bad spot?

Partial
09-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Partial - Are you gonna start this shit again? I can see the path you are on. Why do you have to put me in a bad spot?

Nah man I'm cool. RG & Zig love to metaphorically poke the bear. I'm gonna go for a month or so soon anyway. Getting back into bad habits.

MadtownPacker
09-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Nah man I'm cool. RG & Zig love to metaphorically poke the bear. I'm gonna go for a month or so soon anyway. Getting back into bad habits.
If you cant take your meds and be cool then do what you have to do. I will talk to RG and ziggy.

mraynrand
09-27-2011, 10:59 PM
this is the most exciting time in Redmond that I can remember, so ~15 years or so.

I know what you mean - I Moved out in 1995. I miss the exciting days of the Power Macintosh 6100. Of course nothing can compare with the excitement in July, 2001, when the Power Mac G4 Cube hit the market for the low, low price of $2000! What a product!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ee/Power_mac_g4_cube.png/200px-Power_mac_g4_cube.png

Exciting times. But not as exciting as Apple Lisa - woo, hoo, she was a hottie!

mraynrand
09-27-2011, 11:00 PM

He's OK. RG gets way too heated up.

Take it easy people, this isn't FYI!!! :lol:

retailguy
09-28-2011, 08:05 AM
If you cant take your meds and be cool then do what you have to do. I will talk to RG and ziggy.

There's no need to talk to me.

Zool
09-28-2011, 08:52 AM
I know what you mean - I Moved out in 1995. I miss the exciting days of the Power Macintosh 6100. Of course nothing can compare with the excitement in July, 2001, when the Power Mac G4 Cube hit the market for the low, low price of $2000! What a product!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ee/Power_mac_g4_cube.png/200px-Power_mac_g4_cube.png

Exciting times. But not as exciting as Apple Lisa - woo, hoo, she was a hottie!

I used mine to cook food...well until the processor melted to the MB.

Zool
09-28-2011, 08:53 AM
The iTunes issue is one of convenience. The iPod hardware issue is that it lacks a bit in sound reproduction capability.

Actually this again is iTunes and their shitty low rips of music. I think most of their stuff is 132 instead of 192 to save size. I've heard rumor that Spotify will have lossless available.

Partial
09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Isn't iTunes now giving really high quality stuff? I've haven't purchased music since a Blink-182 CD like 10 years ago.

Upnorth
09-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Whats iTunes?

Partial
09-28-2011, 12:31 PM
And just like that, the tablet market split in two. Amazon is definitely selling these at a loss. Apple may have to adjust pricing. Amazon is going to be selling these for $100 soon if the zdnet article is to be believed.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazons-kindle-fire-just-nuked-the-tablet-market-winners-and-losers/59147

Amazon just split the tablet market with Apple. The Kindle Fire is subsidized because you’ll shop more. Apple will stay high-end. Every tablet maker in the middle is screwed.

Amazon killed the "Android" tablet today. I say "Android" because this is running a 2.x version of Android that is tied tightly to Amazons services much like iOs is to Apples (cue complaining). I think it's great. People are going to jailbreak it and get incredibly cheap hardware. I wonder if Amazon will lock the boot loader to prevent rooting? It wouldn't be crazy since they're selling it at a loss.

Cannot emphasize enough that are now two players in this game. Amazon and Apple. All other tablet makers are completely irrelevant until Win8.

SkinBasket
09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
So... remind me again what you get with a "high-end" iPad that you won't be getting with the Amazon device at a much cheaper price? I mean other than an increase in gay sex? Wasn't that the conclusion with the phones?

mraynrand
09-28-2011, 12:44 PM
And just like that, the tablet market split in two. Amazon is definitely selling these at a loss. Apple may have to adjust pricing. Amazon is going to be selling these for $100 soon if the zdnet article is to be believed.

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe it will be far less than 10 years before tablets are essentially free.

Partial
09-28-2011, 05:41 PM
So... remind me again what you get with a "high-end" iPad that you won't be getting with the Amazon device at a much cheaper price? I mean other than an increase in gay sex? Wasn't that the conclusion with the phones?

User Experience. 55% smaller screen. Tablet specific applications. No ads. iOs. Faster, better hardware. There's definite benefits. Having said that, Amazon has an uphill battle to climb if they're losing the reported 50+$ per tablet. That's lot of books to sell.

This is both cheaper and more powerful than was speculated. Amazon changed the game today. Amazon also understands that the less Android-y it is, the better, so they have obfuscated Android to the user.

You're extremely tightly coupled to Amazon with this. With iOs, you can use iBooks or any other bookstore apps, including the Kindle store. With Amazon, you can only use the Amazon book store. Is that a big deal? Maybe, maybe not. I would say no.

This thing is only going to run apps that leverage Amazon services. You want streaming media? Amazon prime. You want eBooks? Kindle store. etc. Not a deal breaker at all. They're going to lock this thing down like crazy so hackers aren't installing AOSP on it.

SkinBasket
09-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Saw the deets on the Amazon device. The iPad is officially dead. As Ken, Fist of the North Star once said, "Omae wa mo shindeiru."

Partial, Amazon sells music, books, movies, TV shows, and probably your mom's used underwear. They will not have a problem recouping the hit on the hardware through software - as you pointed out yourself - the same model the very lucrative game console market has used for a long time.

iPad is the new betamax. Or the new HD-DVD.

Partial
09-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Saw the deets on the Amazon device. The iPad is officially dead. As Ken, Fist of the North Star once said, "Omae wa mo shindeiru."

Partial, Amazon sells music, books, movies, TV shows, and probably your mom's used underwear. They will not have a problem recouping the hit on the hardware through software - as you pointed out yourself - the same model the very lucrative game console market has used for a long time.

iPad is the new betamax. Or the new HD-DVD.

Completely disagree. There's room for two. If Amazon can do it, why can't Apple do it better? They make better hardware and could sell just as much content... Most analysts are saying they don't think these are competing devices right now. Not so sure I agree with that, but I think the iPad will continue to do very well.

This Amazon tablet won't have edu like iPad will.

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM
NERDS!!!

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Why? You can drag two fingers and scroll. Inertial scrolling is incredible and has been a game changer in computing. It has led to Windows Phone 7 and likely Windows 8 to copy it. Android has as well. Scroll wheels are dead.

Has nothing to do with Big Brother, RG. It's called pushing technology forward. Someone needs to move on from the status quo. I'll give you that it's easier for Apple with it's smaller market share and smaller enterprise footsteps. If Apple didn't move on from legacy tech.... Android would look and function like a blackberry, multitouch wouldn't exist, trackpads would still suck balls and be un-useable, keyboards would be garbage, backlit keyboards wouldn't exist, music would sitll be bought on CDs, etc.

Apple leaves legacy technology behind. Someone has to do it for the betterment of society. Not a huge deal. Scroll wheels still work. Plug in a different mouse if you want a scroll wheel. I'd much rather have the inertial scrolling.

Have you ever used it? What is sub par? What is so bad about it? I agree that it is very un-apple to manage videos, music and even some docs (for synching to iDevices) in iTunes. This is soon changing so this argument is pretty much moot.

You really think finding a mini-hdmi or micro-usb cable is more common than a generic iPod cable? You say you like to shop on monoprice... I do too... I can easily buy an iPod cable for pretty much the same price as a micro-usb.

Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. I got hired at my current job for my ability to write Flex code, which is a framework built in flash. It's a garbage product that runs like shit. It doesn't support multi-touch. It's so much slower than an equivalent HTML application it's not even funny. The technology is there today, GWT, Sproutcore, etc. Flash is completely unnecessary and since it doesn't have any hardware acceleration on anything but Windows, it is slow as shit.

A Youtube video should not spike a CPU to 100%. That's absolutely ridiculous.

The ultimate legacy friendly product, Internet Explorer, is not going to allow for flash in Windows 8. Read that one more time.

FLASH WILL NOT WORK IN INTERNET EXPLORER IN WINDOWS 8. FLASH WILL NOT WORK IN INTERNET EXPLORER IN WINDOWS 8.

Flash is basically dead. The day Windows 8 hits is the day it officially dies. Thank Apple for that one.

So, you really think you're in a position to discuss whether they're superior or inferior? This is such a joke dude. You're clearly judging a book by it's cover. THERE IS A REASON APPLE IS THE ONE OF THE MOST PROFITABLE COMPANIES IN THE WORLD. THEY MAKE INCREDIBLE PRODUCTS WITH THE USER IN MIND.

As a share holder shouldn't you want your company to have the tools that allow people to most productive instead of how cheap they are? Your 100$ blackberry wasn't 100 dollars when it was new. It may do email and bbm well... but that's it. No multitouch, no webkit browser, etc. Your companies IT clearly sucks. I've worked for a fortune 100 company that is phasing in the iPhone and they never have these problems. iPhone has excellent enterprise support since iOs 2 (iOs 5 is coming out early October).

There are viable alternatives. They're equally expensive, and typically lower quality. You're clearly biased because you're too afraid you might like a luxury good -- like your delta bravo mercedes -- and become hooked on the experience.

There is no God. Easy on the "delta bravo" Jim Rome.

3irty1
09-29-2011, 09:36 AM
$50? Isn't that like 10 ebooks they'd have to sell just to break even? Doesn't seem like the greatest business strategy to me, the game consoles sell games for $50 or $60 bucks each so that's a little different. Especially when you consider how easy it is to piriate ebooks and how difficult it is to pirate games (besides the wii). Pirating ebooks is just going to get worse too. The only way to make up that money is to sell apps. 95% of people are just going to buy this to masterbate and play angry birds--exactly the same as every other tablet. Unless Angry Birds is $50 I can't imagine them routinely making up that amount of money if the figure is true.

Also, one of the things that made these ebook readers useable in the first place was that funky screen they had that eliminated the eye fatigue and made for disgustingly long battery life. I don't know, but I'm guessing the new one has a normal display. Its going to be as shitty of an ereader as the ipad, or my netbook, or anything else that's equivalent to staring at a lightbulb. If its really just another tablet they'd better sell enough of these to spark a big developer community because they are only as good as their repositories.

I think what I'm trying to say is that even if its the best tablet ever, tablets are still stupid and selling a stupid product for -$50 isn't a good plan.

Deputy Nutz
09-29-2011, 10:35 AM
^ your're a beautiful man

SkinBasket
09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
I think what I'm trying to say is that even if its the best tablet ever, tablets are still stupid and selling a stupid product for -$50 isn't a good plan.

I think you're underestimating this nation's love for stupid things. And what's this $50 about?

Partial
09-29-2011, 12:14 PM
I think you're underestimating this nation's love for stupid things. And what's this $50 about?

Analysts are estimating Amazon is losing ~50 dollars per tablet shipped. I disagree with 3irty1 and think they'll make the money back easily.

Everyone loves Amazon... really has anyone had a bad experience there? It's my favorite place to shop. Beyond that, Mom's love to read (or at least have people think they read a lot or try to convince themselves they do). This thing is going to sell like hotcakes and Amazon is going to make a killing on it. Amazon is gonna push the free streaming content for a 70 dollar fee (Prime)... they will also market this as "comes with free 2day shipping on all purchases" (Prime).

They're really in a good spot. As good if not better than Apple content wise, and since they're locking the thing down so it's going to be far more "Kindle" than "Android".

E-ink is better for reading but the display on the iPad is not at all bad.. I read on it a lot and never have any issues. I imagine the Amazon screen will be similar quality though smaller.

This thing has really solid specs. Whether that translates to great performance, who knows, but the OMAP4 is very close in power to the Apple A5 and Samsung Orion chips.

Deputy Nutz
09-29-2011, 12:18 PM
But you didn't reference Skinbasket's claim for American's love for stupid things. What is up with that?

Partial
09-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Excellent analysis from This Is My Next.. on the Amazon Fire.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/28/editorial-kindle-fire-ipad/

Saw a funny tweet today about iPad and Amazon fire that made a good point. Coke is still profitable and very successful despite having a huge player in Pepsi. The Tablet market is big enough for the strictly fun oriented/consumption applications Amazon is offering. These won't be productivity apps and it's NOT compatible with Android 3.x or higher apps.

I think Apple and Amazon will both be successful, it's Google and all of it's other vendors that are pissed off over this. The traditional Android tablet is dead as of today unless ICS really knocks it out of the park.

SkinBasket
09-29-2011, 01:20 PM
really has anyone had a bad experience there?

I have, before they really hit their stride. There was a big e-mail fight... broken promises... refunds... Hindus pretending to be white people... In the end I told them I hoped they all died in a terrible typhoon and said I wouldn't pity them when they lost their jobs when Amazon became the next big flop. Man, did I hit that nail on the head.

mraynrand
09-29-2011, 01:27 PM
I have, before they really hit their stride. There was a big e-mail fight... broken promises... refunds... Hindus pretending to be white people... In the end I told them I hoped they all died in a terrible typhoon and said I wouldn't pity them when they lost their jobs when Amazon became the next big flop. Man, did I hit that nail on the head.

Please to be I put you on hold for a minute justly.
http://channelguidemag.zap2it.com/articles/images/Paul_Blart_Mall_Cop_Adhir_Kalyan_0709.jpg

Little Whiskey
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Analysts are estimating Amazon is losing ~50 dollars per tablet shipped. ................. This thing is going to sell like hotcakes and Amazon is going to make a killing on it.

they'll make it up in Volume!

Partial
09-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Yes, please. Hopefully it looks just like this. Unibody aluminum construction for strength and sound structure. By far the thinnest phone ever made. 4" screen. Soooo ridiculously sexy.

Clearly, this cnc machinest and apple enthusiast is very talented. This is really damn cool for a personal project constructed from leaked dimensions.

Even the most cynical person can appreciate these attributes that clearly display why this phone is of higher build quality then the competition.

http://www.giga.de/benm/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_02111.jpg

This next one is on top of a Galaxy S II, the second thinnest phone available. Look at how bulky and flimsy the Sammy looks in comparison.

http://www.giga.de/benm/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/DSCN7336.jpg

http://www.giga.de/benm/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/DSCN73351.jpg

http://www.giga.de/benm/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_01921.jpg

mraynrand
09-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Yes, please. Hopefully it looks just like this. Unibody aluminum construction for strength and sound structure. By far the thinnest phone ever made. 4" screen. Soooo ridiculously sexy.

Get a room

Partial
09-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Believe me sir, I would love to.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/29/iphone-5-silicone-sleeves-already-arriving-at-att-retail-stores/

This article that just came out pretty much confirms it. If ATT is getting teardrop iPhone 5 cases in already, then it's a sure thing in my opinion.

I have a friends parent who is a senior VP at ATT. Too bad they live in TX or I could get the scoop I'm sure from them.

Who will buy any other smart phone beyond this? The design is incredible. The screen size and thickness concerns are now moot. The build quality is going to be just like the iPad and MBP/MBA, where it's leaps and bounds ahead of everything else because it uses the unibody/brick sculpting process.

Deputy Nutz
09-30-2011, 08:05 AM
I can't even express my feelings into words right now.

Partial
09-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Boy, I really hope this is legit. I hope this is Steve's crown jewel and curtain call. If it does turn out just like that, boy, did he ever nail it and once again put them years ahead of the competition. What a way to go out for one of the greatest innovators of the 20th and 21st centuries. Hopefully, this really is his "One more thing". I bet it absolutely kills him that he won't be able to announce him, but for the sake of the company it's imperative that Tim Cook deliver the SteveNote (err, TimNote).

Freak Out
09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
It's a fucking phone/money pit for fucks sake. Steve Jobs didn't cure cancer....he found a way to make a fortune and cause thousands of distracted driving accidents. If you want to crank yourself find that video of Polly Montgomery.

retailguy
09-30-2011, 10:13 AM
It's a fucking phone/money pit for fucks sake. Steve Jobs didn't cure cancer....he found a way to make a fortune and cause thousands of distracted driving accidents. If you want to crank yourself find that video of Polly Montgomery.

Well said.

Honestly, from my perspective, things can get "too thin". I added an extended life battery to my blackberry about 3 months ago. It necessitated a new back cover and it now has a significant "bulge" in it. At first, I thought it'd never work for me and I'd hate it. But I was wrong. It's actually more comfortable to hold now, and the extra weight and width don't bother me near as much as I thought.

We got one for my wife's epic too. She likes it, though it is noticably more bulky than my phone. But her phone really sucks the battery. It'll be interesting to see if "slim" lasts more than an hour, unless of course Apple reinvented battery technology too.... :roll eyes:

Deputy Nutz
09-30-2011, 10:13 AM
I want to beat Skinbasket to death for starting this thread. Here is to hoping he splashes the pages of this thread with the largest cock anyone has ever seen, Ziggy included.

retailguy
09-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I want to beat Skinbasket to death for starting this thread. Here is to hoping he splashes the pages of this thread with the largest cock anyone has ever seen, Ziggy included.

I want to beat madtown to death for allowing it to go on this long. But I know what you mean.

SkinBasket
09-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Cockbomb!

I've already been warned after doing that once, even though the act was a benevolent one.

SkinBasket
09-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Steve Jobs didn't cure cancer....

In fact, he's causing brain cancer with his radioactive dork-devices.

Partial
09-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Well said.

Honestly, from my perspective, things can get "too thin". I added an extended life battery to my blackberry about 3 months ago. It necessitated a new back cover and it now has a significant "bulge" in it. At first, I thought it'd never work for me and I'd hate it. But I was wrong. It's actually more comfortable to hold now, and the extra weight and width don't bother me near as much as I thought.

We got one for my wife's epic too. She likes it, though it is noticably more bulky than my phone. But her phone really sucks the battery. It'll be interesting to see if "slim" lasts more than an hour, unless of course Apple reinvented battery technology too.... :roll eyes:

iPhones get the best battery life of any smart phone because they don't let things run willy-nilly in the background. They have a finite set of background APIs that work great. It will get at least a day of heavy usage. 3-4 days of light to moderate usage. This is class leading.

Too thin is ridiculous. Too thin? Too thick is a problem, but too thin? The substantial feel is more important, imo, and anything carved from aluminum that Apple has made historically have a very good feel. I don't foresee this changing. Apple understands balance/weight distribution, etc, so it should be wonderful.

The only problem that I can see is if I to wear down my battery (my girlfriend has a 3GS and this has not yet happened in 2.25 years), I have to mail it to Apple to get it swapped versus buying a 10 dollar eBay replacement. Having said that, it's not very expensive to do so it's not a deal breaker. I think it's a good trade for the quality of construction these devices have.

Freak, someone has to push the envelope in technology. These are good things. It's a beautiful design. This is changing the game. Just like the iPhone 4 was by far the thinnest phone and led to everyone else trying to match it's thin-ness, this will again up the anti. I don't see how one could possibly think this is anything but excellent.

retailguy
09-30-2011, 12:16 PM
iPhones get the best battery life of any smart phone because they don't let things run willy-nilly in the background. They have a finite set of background APIs that work great. It will get at least a day of heavy usage. 3-4 days of light to moderate usage. This is class leading.

Too thin is ridiculous. Too thin? Too thick is a problem, but too thin? The substantial feel is more important, imo, and anything carved from aluminum that Apple has made historically have a very good feel. I don't foresee this changing. Apple understands balance/weight distribution, etc, so it should be wonderful.

The only problem that I can see is if I to wear down my battery (my girlfriend has a 3GS and this has not yet happened in 2.25 years), I have to mail it to Apple to get it swapped versus buying a 10 dollar eBay replacement. Having said that, it's not very expensive to do so it's not a deal breaker. I think it's a good trade for the quality of construction these devices have.

Freak, someone has to push the envelope in technology. These are good things. It's a beautiful design. This is changing the game. Just like the iPhone 4 was by far the thinnest phone and led to everyone else trying to match it's thin-ness, this will again up the anti. I don't see how one could possibly think this is anything but excellent.

:bs::talk:

But tonight, when I get home, can I watch news videos on virtually every major news site on my iphone, or on my ipad? No, because it doesn't let flash run at all, much less willy nilly in the background.

So, lemme get this straight, in 2013 after apple has "changed" the technology and flash has been "destroyed", THEN, I can watch news videos on a phone, that in 2013, I WILL NO LONGER BE USING (because I'm a FOOL if I don't use the "subsidized upgrade policy").

Yes, it certainly is "excellent", what a user experience that is!

Believe it or not, the "thicker" phone is more comfortable for my hands, and I didn't have to send my phone ANYWHERE to replace the battery. It took 5 minutes to pop off the cover, replace and restart.... But, hey, call the mother ship, and wait 10 days. Sounds like an "excellent" user experience to me! Just the "cost" of having superior technology.

Hey - if I'm expecting an important call, do you suppose I could attach a post it note to my phone, asking the tech to answer it when it rings and give the important caller a message? LMAO...

Upnorth
09-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Why do we care so much about apple? Is this really the best place to make money? If some one had 60k to invest, who would recommend just dump all of it in apple?

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 12:49 PM
I can't even express my feelings into words right now.

The image you put into my head from the other thread pretty much covers it...

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Why do we care so much about apple? Is this really the best place to make money? If some one had 60k to invest, who would recommend just dump all of it in apple?

We don't care so much about Apple. Partial does. Partial would and has (probably on page 1) recommended dumping it all in Apple. The rest of the 10 pages is the rest of the forum trying to tell him to be careful in overvaluing a stock by worshiping the company's products too much. P, I had a problem a couple months ago. I had a wallet that was wonderfully small and light, but didn't notice when it fell off my lap on the metro. Thank god I went to put something in it after I got off the train and managed to dive back on to retrieve my property, otherwise I wouldn't have had my license on vacation. I went and bought a bulkier replacement so I would notice when it left my possession. Have you ever lost your iclip?

retailguy
09-30-2011, 02:25 PM

Original Post

Hey, smart money people, WWYD with 60k right now investment wise?

Answer - Post #4

AAPL. Just saw a 12 month estimate at 610 USD. It's at 385 right now.

Kind of sums it up, don't you think?

mraynrand
09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
... necessitated a new back cover and it now has a significant "bulge" in it....

description of Partial's reaction to the new iphone?

mraynrand
09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
dp

mraynrand
09-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Why don't you go re-read the Favre thread and leave Partial to have sex with his iPhone in peace.

Deputy Nutz
09-30-2011, 03:40 PM
I love me some Favre.

Patler
09-30-2011, 04:01 PM

After reaching an intraday high of $423 on 9/20, AAPL closed today at $381.
Nasdaq is down about 4% over the 10 day time period.
AAPL is down about 9% over the same time period.

A stock down significantly more than its exchange could indicate a good entry point, or could indicate at least short term concerns.
I own AAPL.
I will continue to hold AAPL at least for a while.
I will not buy anymore AAPL, at least for a while.
My decisions are based on pure conjecture, and prayer.

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 05:41 PM
After reaching an intraday high of $423 on 9/20, AAPL closed today at $381.
Nasdaq is down about 4% over the 10 day time period.
AAPL is down about 9% over the same time period.

A stock down significantly more than its exchange could indicate a good entry point, or could indicate at least short term concerns.
I own AAPL.
I will continue to hold AAPL at least for a while.
I will not buy anymore AAPL, at least for a while.
My decisions are based on pure conjecture, and prayer.

Ok, but at the rate I'm going, I'm going to need to know what to do with a chunk of change to invest. We all know how I feel about AAPL's possible future performance, so what might you recommend? Any funds doing well? Which kind of IRA do I want again?

Partial
09-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Ok, but at the rate I'm going, I'm going to need to know what to do with a chunk of change to invest. We all know how I feel about AAPL's possible future performance, so what might you recommend? Any funds doing well? Which kind of IRA do I want again?

You wouldn't invest in a stock that 50/50 analysts on Yahoo recommend?? If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't invest in anything because clearly I have fundamental issues of understanding very basic ideas of the market.

We don't care so much about Apple. Partial does. Partial would and has (probably on page 1) recommended dumping it all in Apple. The rest of the 10 pages is the rest of the forum trying to tell him to be careful in overvaluing a stock by worshiping the company's products too much. P, I had a problem a couple months ago. I had a wallet that was wonderfully small and light, but didn't notice when it fell off my lap on the metro. Thank god I went to put something in it after I got off the train and managed to dive back on to retrieve my property, otherwise I wouldn't have had my license on vacation. I went and bought a bulkier replacement so I would notice when it left my possession. Have you ever lost your iclip?

No, I'm a careful person, I do not lose things. If people needed something bigger so they wouldn't lose it, why was the iPod nano such a revolutionary product that sold millions?? C'mon, get real, you're just trying to rationalize and its not an attractive look. Be more careful with your shit.

Depends upon their situation. Skin inherited some money is my understanding. If it's play money, then yes, absolutely. I'm all in on Apple because the math and market shows it is a phenomenal buy right now.

:bs::talk:

But tonight, when I get home, can I watch news videos on virtually every major news site on my iphone, or on my ipad? No, because it doesn't let flash run at all, much less willy nilly in the background.

Yes. Because Flash is irrelevant and you're an idiot for thinking it's not. See the statements about Windows 8 that you conviently ignored. What site that serves up flash doesn't serve it up in the extremely efficient H264 standard? Have you tried this?

So, lemme get this straight, in 2013 after apple has "changed" the technology and flash has been "destroyed", THEN, I can watch news videos on a phone, that in 2013, I WILL NO LONGER BE USING (because I'm a FOOL if I don't use the "subsidized upgrade policy").

Flash is already irrelevant. This is a stupid argument that stupid people make. Apple didn't destroy it. Open web standards pushed by companies like Apple, Mozilla, Google, WWW consortium, etc. You're factually incorrect. Again, IF you're paying for a contract and not taking the subsidy, you're paying for a subsidy you're not using. #Fact

Yes, it certainly is "excellent", what a user experience that is!

Believe it or not, the "thicker" phone is more comfortable for my hands, and I didn't have to send my phone ANYWHERE to replace the battery. It took 5 minutes to pop off the cover, replace and restart.... But, hey, call the mother ship, and wait 10 days. Sounds like an "excellent" user experience to me! Just the "cost" of having superior technology.

Apple uses quality lithium polymer batteries so this is really a non-issue. Go to the mall, ask for a loaner. Absolutely no problem at all. Again, you fail to understand the circumstance before you make a judgement call. How often does a battery need to be changed, anyway? So it's an inconvenience for 20 minutes to go to the mall and get a carbon copy of your contents (from iCloud) and have a loaner. Big deal.

Hey - if I'm expecting an important call, do you suppose I could attach a post it note to my phone, asking the tech to answer it when it rings and give the important caller a message? LMAO...

Would you rather have a phone that has lasting battery life both in short term and long term duration (daily life, and over the course of many days)? An iPhone 4 will last you with the same amount of usage probably 3-4x as long as that lovely Samsung Epic you love to talk about. Especially with the stock bloatware that Sprint loads it with (running as root) running in the background.

Patler
09-30-2011, 07:39 PM

Just send it to:
P.O Box.................... ! :lol:

Seriously, now:

Anything anyone might recommend today, even for a mutual fund, is meaningless unless you actually have the money to invest today. You need to evaluate your options when you can actually make the investment.

I am doing a lot of buying and selling of individual stocks because I find it entertaining, and as I have mentioned several times I started with a nice chunk of "found money" that I never expected to have. Even so, I spend a lot of time making sure I don't screw it up too badly. To my way of thinking, any individual security is a very short term recommendation, because you have to continually re-evaluate in a clear, unbiased way whether it is something you should continue to hold or not. You can see from this thread how often I re-evaluate just my holdings of AAPL. Not everyone wants to spend the time doing that. I look at it as a hobby.

I expect you will want to look for a mutual fund, but I'm not in a position to recommend any. I have a significant amount in several, but to my way of thinking their performance has been lackluster. I need to spend considerable time figuring out what to switch them into myself. I don't know that there are any real shining stars out there right now. I don't know of any anyway. Everyone took such a beating 3 years ago that you really have to dig into what they have and haven't done, and even whether or not the fund manager is the same. Many have changed.

You would be better of reading or soliciting the recommendations of real experts, not us on a football fan site!

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 07:54 PM
1. If I don't believe what 50% of the analysts say, then yes, I will go with the other 50% who DON'T recommend Apple. Yes. It's called thinking for myself.
2. It isn't about being careful with your things. Only you could come up with that argument.
3. This is not play money. Monopoly didn't print it. It is investment capital and should be taken seriously. To do otherwise is foolhardy.
4 and 5. Because you say it's irrelevant does not prove it so, and calling someone stupid does not make you right. It makes you look...well...stupid.
6. What if I can't get to the mall? I've never even thought of a battery issue with my droid. Interesting that you already know just what to do. Have you been to the mall recently?
7. Has it not gotten through your thick skull yet that no one gives a shit about Apple but you? People are happy with what they have. Why can't you ever leave it at that?

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Just send it to:
P.O Box.................... ! :lol:

Seriously, now:

Anything anyone might recommend today, even for a mutual fund, is meaningless unless you actually have the money to invest today. You need to evaluate your options when you can actually make the investment.

I am doing a lot of buying and selling of individual stocks because I find it entertaining, and as I have mentioned several times I started with a nice chunk of "found money" that I never expected to have. Even so, I spend a lot of time making sure I don't screw it up too badly. To my way of thinking, any individual security is a very short term recommendation, because you have to continually re-evaluate in a clear, unbiased way whether it is something you should continue to hold or not. You can see from this thread how often I re-evaluate just my holdings of AAPL. Not everyone wants to spend the time doing that. I look at it as a hobby.

I expect you will want to look for a mutual fund, but I'm not in a position to recommend any. I have a significant amount in several, but to my way of thinking their performance has been lackluster. I need to spend considerable time figuring out what to switch them into myself. I don't know that there are any real shining stars out there right now. I don't know of any anyway. Everyone took such a beating 3 years ago that you really have to dig into what they have and haven't done, and even whether or not the fund manager is the same. Many have changed.

You would be better of reading or soliciting the recommendations of real experts, not us on a football fan site!

So true. Did I tell you about the time that Motley Fool asked me to apply there? When I was done laughing, I did. I wonder why I never heard back...

As soon as my emergency fund is no longer an emergency fund then I will need to take the excess and replace the retirement funds that weren't matched on this contract.

Partial
09-30-2011, 08:10 PM
1. If I don't believe what 50% of the analysts say, then yes, I will go with the other 50% who DON'T recommend Apple. Yes. It's called thinking for myself.

Except it's 100%. 50 out of 50 recommend or strongly recommend. That mathematical statement is called a fraction. "50/50" is equivalent to 1.0, or 100%. How could you have possibly interpreted that as anything else? I cannot fathom how anyone who has passed 6th grade could derive 50% from an obvious fraction. Math or reading don't appear to be strong suits, so storing the money under a mattress is probably your best bet.

2. It isn't about being careful with your things. Only you could come up with that argument.

You're trying to argue that something you carry with you constantly being thinner is a bad thing. Yet, here you were the one weeks ago touting how your phone was thinner than the iPhone and that was a factor that motivated you (it isn't thinner, btw, it's significantly thicker). You can't have it both ways.

I'm not worried about losing my ultra-thin industry leading form factor iPhone. Was anyone else talking about how phones were too thin when the Galaxy S II came out? No, because that's a ridiculous argument. You're grasping as pathetically weak straws. Only you and RG would try to argue that a fatter, thicker phone is a good thing.

3. This is not play money. Monopoly didn't print it. It is investment capital and should be taken seriously. To do otherwise is foolhardy.

Okay.

4 and 5. Because you say it's irrelevant does not prove it so, and calling someone stupid does not make you right. It makes you look...well...stupid.

Microsoft considers flash irrelevant. Apple considers flash irrelevant. Google is one of the strongest proponents of HTML5 and javascript around. They consider it irrelevant. Ipso facto, Flash is irrelevant.

Nothing yanks my chain more than those stupid verizon commercials talking about tablets running flash. This is basically a slap in the face of consumers to call them stupid and a really weak marketing effort to sell a product. The tablet they're selling, in this case a Motorola Xoom, the flagship Android tablet, didn't have a single marketable advantage over the iPad, so they had to resort to the pathetic, poor running flash gimmick (which is irrelvant). GMAFB. You can't play flash games anyway because you don't have a mouse. Who wouldn't rather play a native game from the app store anyway?? GMAFB.

I have used my tablet a ton and have never encountered this issue. Websites want their content to be consumed, so they are tailoring the content to fit the needs of devices.

Hell, even pretty much every porn site delivers H264 video on the iPad. No flash issues there.

Why? Because flash is irrelevant and a dying technology.

6. What if I can't get to the mall? I've never even thought of a battery issue with my droid. Interesting that you already know just what to do. Have you been to the mall recently?

Right, you're 99.999% most likely not going to need to replace the battery. It's irrelevant, but RG will debate anything he possibly can. Say you did have an issue: It's much more convenient to run to the Apple store and get a carbon copy loaner immediately while it's replaced (zero down time) than have to order one on eBay, have it shipped, etc. That's a several day process.

7. Has it not gotten through your thick skull yet that no one gives a shit about Apple but you? People are happy with what they have. Why can't you ever leave it at that?

I don't really care what they're in to. I'm here to discuss facts, and when people make incorrect assertions, as a shareholder it is in my best interest to clear them up.

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't remember if I said it was thinner. What I said that I actually care about is that I like what I have better. That's a fact you're just not going to clear up. Retail doesn't like his iPad and no matter how many statistics you toss around or reviewers you quote, you're not going to change his mind. I have no use for a tablet and that isn't going to change either, nor will you change my mind that Amazon could do some serious damage to iPad sales with the new Kindle. It just won't happen. What you will do is annoy people into having a bias against apple because they have to defend themselves and their personal choices against your onslaught.

Now. Which IRA was I supposed to look into? Roth or non-Roth? I can never remember and I'm really hoping to have to move this money very soon.

Partial
09-30-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't remember if I said it was thinner. What I said that I actually care about is that I like what I have better. That's a fact you're just not going to clear up.

You did say it was thinner. Which is wrong. You also said it had a better display, which is also wrong. Bigger - yes, Better quality - no.

That's because you don't have an iPhone. You don't know what you're missing.

Have you used an iOs device for an extended period of time? I'd guess no. You're happy with what you have because it's okay and better than what you had before. That doesn't mean it's good, or great, or anything else. It means it is okay. You don't know what you're missing.

Retail doesn't like his iPad and no matter how many statistics you toss around or reviewers you quote, you're not going to change his mind.

There is no way that Retail doesn't find the hardware superior, the OS more intuitive, useable, etc. There is absolutely no way. There's a reason that people who could never use a computer have no troubles with an iPad. Do you really think they could Android??

RG is just being an ass and being stubborn. He knows it. I know it. Quite frankly everyone knows it. He can bitch about the stupid cables but that is such a minor part of the equation... same with iTunes. He's really just showing his bias and his true nature as an asshat.

I have no use for a tablet and that isn't going to change either, nor will you change my mind that Amazon could do some serious damage to iPad sales with the new Kindle. It just won't happen. What you will do is annoy people into having a bias against apple because they have to defend themselves and their personal choices against your onslaught.

I don't have a problem with personal choice. Use a shitty device. It's your money and your poor decision to make. It's a free country. I just try to show people how to take their life better.

Now. Which IRA was I supposed to look into? Roth or non-Roth? I can never remember and I'm really hoping to have to move this money very soon.

Roth is free of capital gains tax. Both are capped at 6K per year I believe (this may have changed). No reason that I'm aware of not to go Roth.

Also, it's an HTC Thunderbolt. Not a Droid. Android is the operating system. Verizon, with some brilliant marketing, has started this whole Droid thing for a few select phones. Yours is not one of them. Phew, feel better now, had to get that out.

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 08:28 PM
You missed responding to the part about being so fucking annoying about it that you actively turn people off to the Apple brand.

Patler
09-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Look into both. Some of the major differences are:

Traditional IRA is a pre-tax contribution. Roth contributions are taxed. So, in addition to the amount put into the IRA, if it's a Roth you have to be able to afford taxes on the contribution as well. This can result in some people being able to afford a larger contribution to a traditional IRA than to a Roth.

Roth earnings are untaxed under the current law, meaning that even when you withdraw, it is tax free. However, as with any deduction or exemption, there is no guarantee that it will always remain that way. As you withdraw from a traditional IRA, the withdrawal is subject to taxation as ordinary income. This may or may not be significant depending on the tax laws at the time of withdrawal.

Roth contributions are subject to earning limits, $107K for an individual, I think. There are other limits, depending on whether you are eligible for a retirement plan from an employer.

I encourage you to learn about and understand both so you can make an informed decision based on your circumstances.

Partial
09-30-2011, 11:27 PM
RG, Please take a moment to read this.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

That's a letter penned from Steve himself about Flash.

Furthermore, here are some more facts:

1. Windows 8 will not support flash or any other browser plugins
2. Macs no longer ship with flash installed
3. Linux has never had reasonable flash support
4. The vast majority of people are now using HTML5 compatible browsers (IE9, Chrome, FF, Safari, Opera)
5. Javascript performance has gone way up thanks to JIT compiling
6. Javascript and CSS can leverage hardware acceleration, flash's hardware acceleration only works on Windows
7. Javascript can in theory be multi-threaded (Google V8) and Web Workers make concurrency possible (better responsiveness)

Note that Steve points out a slew of news sites that offer video in H264. You're misinformed about that.

The three biggest platforms won't support flash. How exactly is flash relevant? How will it survive?

MadtownPacker
10-01-2011, 06:38 AM
MFer am I gonna have to put you on ice? Cant you just have a conversation without being a snooty ass bitch? Ziggy is a chick you are not, quit acting like one!

mraynrand
10-01-2011, 08:06 AM
MFer am I gonna have to put you on ice? Cant you just have a conversation without being a snooty ass bitch? Ziggy is a chick you are not, quit acting like one!

It's been a two-way street on this one.

BTW, Nice sexist remark - you should be banned for that.

Upnorth
10-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Over the past week or so the US dollar has risen much quicker than most expect. As turmoil has been seen again in Europe a lot of money has fled into the US dollar. This will be temporary. If you have are not looking for a quick buck, I would invest in Australian or Canadian Reasource company's or funds in there A$ or CDN$. Once this thing turns around the us dollar will depreciate again and stockpiles will be depleted in India and China. Also there are some interresting options in Brazil right now. THis is a great time to buy a most things are on sale. Just DON'T PANIC. Also make sure you have your towel, hehe.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2011, 12:07 PM
It's been a two-way street on this one.

BTW, Nice sexist remark - you should be banned for that.
It is always a two-way street, problem is P is alway the one driving on the wrong side of the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ZPb51Cgkk&feature=related

mraynrand
10-01-2011, 01:30 PM
It is always a two-way street, problem is P is alway the one driving on the wrong side of the road.

I disagree. As annoying as I think Partial can get from time to time, he takes as much abuse - sometimes even more - than he dishes out. Read the whole thread and count up personal attacks. You might be surprised.

retailguy
10-01-2011, 01:57 PM
RG, Please take a moment to read this.

(sigh)....

Ok, there was absolutely NO reason for me to read that. Partial, I'm going to try and explain this one more time, and then I'm really done. My objections to flash, Apple, IOS, IPHONE, and IPAD really aren't the crux of the issue in this thread. The crux is that you are seemingly incapable of listening to what my concerns are, or better stated, WHY I own what I own. It's absolutely irrelevant that what I own is what YOU believe I should own, you do not understand why I don't own what you think I should.

Probably 20 times in this thread you have "told" me what I should buy and what I should not buy. Not one time here have I told you what YOU should buy. Frankly, I don't care what you spend your money on. I don't care if you overpay for a great "user experience" or if you choose to pay $40 bucks for an HDMI adapter. I do, however, care whether or not I spend that on a user experience or a cable.

The issues that I have are that you preached to the high heavens about my purchasing decisions without truly listening to what I'm using the devices for. Because of that, you reached the wrong conclusion, because all the "right" reasons you used to justify it, aren't MY reasons. And I'm the one that is supposed to buy the device. As you get older, like the rest of us, you'll have less tolerance for folks that behave this way. In the meantime, keeping your mouth shut unless asked for your opinion is a great plan of attack. If you recall, about 3 years ago, I emailed you asking for advice about a pending netbook purchase. You actually helped with that, because you listened to what my wife's needs ACTUALLY were and were able to make meaningful suggestions. You seem to have lost that ability lately, and quite honestly, I would NEVER ask for your advice right now. NEVER.

Now, why don't I own an IPAD? Why don't I want one? Two reasons. The additional cost is not something that I can justify for the uses I have for it. And, I do not like the closed architecture of the device and the additional costs associated with that closed architecture. In spite of that, 3 months ago, I was very close to buying one. Your rants turned me from that, and as a result, I have two android tablets that meet my needs very well today, and cost me less than one IPAD would have.

It was the right decision for me, and certainly wasn't the right decision for you (but you don't own them, so what do you care?). For 11 pages, you have droned on and on about why I picked the wrong technology, how I settled for a lower quality user experience, and how I'm so stupid I can't forecast the future. Unfortunately for you, none of those things, even if true, cause these two devices to not meet my needs. Quite the opposite. They do meet my needs, and they meet them more efficiently than the IPAD would.

I could go on for pages about why that's the case, but this post is approaching Woody lengths so I've only got time for a couple of examples.

1 - FLASH. Is it dying? sure. I understand that. But it isn't dead yet. Recent studies show that 40% of major websites still use flash content. ALL of the news websites that I use, still use the content for videos. I'm sure they use HTML5 too. But the videos wouldn't run until I installed flash. They won't run on my laptop unless I use flash. Maybe 6 months or a year from now that'll be different. But today? I use flash. I could care less whether or not I get videos from HTML5 or flash, but I don't want to "find better" websites to watch news videos. I want to watch the sites I currently use, and today, that's flash.

Hulu is a second perfect example of this. Today, they give away videos on your laptop. You watch a few ads from time to time, but otherwise there are no costs. Those videos are flash. I have a hacked script that allows me to watch those videos on my android tablet. Granted they are 360p, but they work. If I had an IPAD, I would have to use "hulu plus". It's $10 a month. It isn't free. I would get a great user experience for that $10 a month. Certainly better than 360p, but, what you fail to understand is that I watch 6 to 12 videos PER YEAR. At 6 per year, that's $20bucks to watch a 30 minute show. It doesn't make sense. But if I have an IPAD? It's the ONLY way.

Hulu plus for android is rolling out. Hulu consciously blocks access from tablets and phones. Free access won't last forever. At that point, I'll stop using Hulu because it isn't something I'm willing to pay for. You might be. Enjoy it. I won't pay. In the meantime, my android tablet meets my needs better than the comparable IPAD would. And the great user experience? Irrelevant.

2. The closed architecture. I will travel 3 times between now and the end of the year to Charleston, SC on business. I will take my android tablet and a $4 HDMI cable with me. I will stream movies from my SD card to the TV in the hotel. I would not do this if I had to purchase a proprietary adapter. I'd just watch it on the tablet. Another "benefit" that I'm not willing to pay for. Could I? Sure. But I don't spend money on that. It isn't important to me. No matter how many great reasons you have, it still isn't a priority for me to spend money on. I'll spend $4, but I won't spend $30, or $40. Maybe I'm stupid, but you fail to realize that's my choice.

I could care less what Apple's next product launch is, or whether or not their technology choices become the "industry standard". I live behind the technology curve, and I do that purposely. I spend a fraction of what you do on technology and probably get 75% of the "experience" you do. Sometimes I wait a year longer to get it, or settle for a modified version of the "great experience", but it doesn't cost me very much.

I've consciously avoided Apple products for the reasons I've stated above. Their closed architecture does lead to a different "user experience". But that experience comes with a fee, whether it's a cable, or a monthly cost, or the frustration of using a restrictive product like ITUNES, that "experience" is NOT free. The model isn't for me. If it's for you, GREAT. Enjoy it. But please, stop telling me what to do, and using example important to YOU to make MY decisions. Use things important to ME to talk about MY decisions. When you do that, you'll see that I made the "right" choices, FOR ME.

retailguy
10-01-2011, 02:10 PM
For those of you who skipped the above, you might want to read this....

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/09/29/why-apple-investors-could-go-bust.aspx

Why Apple Investors Could Go Bust...

Not only is the company sitting on two blockbuster and still fast-growing products -- the iPhone and iPad -- but it also has $75 billion it can use to develop another blockbuster product, make a game-changing acquisition, or both!

Given those attributes, paying 10 times EBITDA for one of the world's largest and fastest-growing technology companies seems like a bargain. Heck, assume that Apple can continue retaining 100% of earnings and earning a 40% on equity, as it has over the past 12 months, and the math -- demanding a 10% return -- says it's worth approximately $900 per share.

The problem with that
Apple, however, has never sustainably earned a 40% return on equity or even a 20% return on equity. Go back 20 years, and what you'll find in Apple is actually a (gasp!) cyclical business. A boom from 1990 to 1992 was followed by a bust from 1993 to 1997, followed by a boom from 1998 to 2000, a bust from 2001 to 2004, and a boom from 2005 to the present.

With it now being almost 2012, either this time it's different (and I use that phrase intentionally) or this boom is starting to get a bit long in the tooth.
The global view
To buy Apple today, an investor has to believe one of two things:

1. The iPhone and iPad will not become commoditized.
2. If the iPhone and iPad become commoditized, Apple will innovate, develop, and launch a new product to overcome the resulting revenue declines.

Neither scenario is, of course, impossible, but I do not believe that Apple is as cheap as it looks. Not only will it have to move downmarket to compete with Android and the new Kindle Fire, but the fact remains that only so much of the world can afford $600 gadgets -- with the rest not being able to afford them anytime soon.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I disagree. As annoying as I think Partial can get from time to time, he takes as much abuse - sometimes even more - than he dishes out. Read the whole thread and count up personal attacks. You might be surprised.
Well you have a right to your opinion. I know he takes alot of shit. He is tough and can take it. I have kicked it with him and he is hella cool. All I am asking is that he be cool here too. This thread might back your arguement but his history backs mine.

You love all the political stuff. How about you run a poll asking about him? Word it however you want but make sure it ask if he needs to chill or others are just being crybabies.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2011, 03:03 PM
(sigh)....Why do you continue to throw him the ball back if you are sick of playing with him?

retailguy
10-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Why do you continue to throw him the ball back if you are sick of playing with him?

the hope that one day, he shuts his mouth long enough to understand. i know it isn't going to happen, but i keep beating my head against the wall...

MadtownPacker
10-01-2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.wirelesscowboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/lucy-football1.jpg

retailguy
10-01-2011, 04:33 PM
That implies that there is some malice and forethought in Partials actions. That's not too likely.

retailguy
10-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I have kicked it with him and he is hella cool.

So have I. I used to think this, but I was mistaken.

Partial
10-02-2011, 11:43 PM
RG I will read your post later I haven't had a chance yet.

Hey Zig you may want to check and see if you're affected by this:

http://gizmodo.com/5845867/massive-htc-android-vulnerability-leaves-security-expert-speechless

Update: Looks like you are. Better get anything personal off of there for a bit until it's cleared up.

Yikes, another one, Freak if you got around to picking up the Galaxy S II you should check if you're affected by the bug below.

http://gizmodo.com/5845590/watch-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-security-bug-leaves-locked-phones-exposed-updated

Two really bad Android vulnerabilities in one day. Yikes.

MJZiggy
10-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Good thing I don't keep my life on my phone, huh?

Partial
10-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Good thing I don't keep my life on my phone, huh?

You don't keep text msgs? Pics? Contacts? Emails? Why do you have a smart phone, then?

Jeez, why the snide remark when I'm trying to save you from having your personal info ripped?? It's really rude. I'll refrain from trying to help you in the future. Hopefully, getting your life hijacked will teach you to be a little nicer and more respectful to those who are trying to help you.

SkinBasket
10-03-2011, 08:58 AM
why the snide remark when I'm trying to save you from having your personal info ripped?? It's really rude.

LOL.

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/images/madrid7.jpg

Zool
10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Wakka doooo wakka dooo wakka doooo dooo doooooo

Partial
10-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Crazy stuff going on with Sprint and the iPhone. Sprint is betting the farm on the iPhone?

We’ve been hearing about the iPhone coming to Sprint for so long now that it feels almost inevitable, but that wasn’t necessarily the case behind the scenes, according to the Wall Street Journal. In order to get the device, Sprint had to promise Apple it would buy some 30.5 million iPhones over the next four years at total cost of $20 billion — a “bet-the-company” deal that may not make the number-three carrier any money until 2014. Even still, CEO Dan Hesse convinced his board of directors that Sprint simply couldn’t compete without Apple’s latest phone — he’s previously said desire for the iPhone is the “number 1 reason customers leave or switch.”

Clearly Sprint thinks iPhone is the real deal and Android is not if they're willing to bet the future of the company on it.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/03/sprint-iphone-multibillion-dollar-gamble-wsj/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203405504576603053795839250.html

SkinBasket
10-03-2011, 03:38 PM
http://www.thatcanadiangirl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/funny-pictures-bored-cat.jpg

MJZiggy
10-03-2011, 05:25 PM
You don't keep text msgs? Pics? Contacts? Emails? Why do you have a smart phone, then?

Jeez, why the snide remark when I'm trying to save you from having your personal info ripped?? It's really rude. I'll refrain from trying to help you in the future. Hopefully, getting your life hijacked will teach you to be a little nicer and more respectful to those who are trying to help you.

We'll say that I'm careful with my data. Phones can be stolen. If someone wants a pic of my cat that badly, let 'em have at it, but you won't find pics of my kid. After a rash of car thefts several years ago where the car thieves used the navigation to go rob the people's houses, trying to get to my home will take you to my kid's old elementary school. We don't have a texting plan because we, you know, call each other and I don't use people's full names in my contact list. You'd have to know who they are for the list to do you any good. Good luck hijacking my life from my phone. I have a smart phone for navigation & maps and finding coffee shops and for scanning random bar codes, identifying songs, reading and entertaining myself when I have a few minutes and no knitting with me. Oh and for music when I need it. And by the way, if you read this post, you'll realize that my post was completely serious. Unlike all your replies when I've tried to help you out in your life.

Freak Out
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Yo Partial....I'm still rolling with my handy Nexus One. I'll wait and see what shakes here in the next week or three.....

Upnorth
10-03-2011, 07:15 PM

If security is that important you must use a blackberry then. Good choice.

retailguy
10-03-2011, 08:47 PM
If security is that important you must use a blackberry then. Good choice.

Actually, he uses a 1st generation Palm Pre. I use a blackberry and he ridicules me about it all the time. I know, it makes no sense, but you catch on quick.

3irty1
10-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Security on a phone is a serious issue and one that I think people overlook. Its all too easy to crack bluetooth and get a phonebook and pictures--everything a bastard kid needs to potentially blackmail you.

Partial
10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Extremely underwhelmed by the decision to keep the same enclosure for the iPhone 4S. Bad move. Aluminum is much better.

The new camera looks amazing. By far the best camera ever in a smart phone. Should rival point and shoots from a few years ago with it's advanced backlit sensor. It really is about time someone has leveraged gyroscopes/accelerometers to do stabilization.

The software looks incredible. iOs 5 looks awesome. The siri stuff is really quite scary to me. It's ridiculously cool technology much like IBM's Watson with it's natural language processing. Having said that, it's a little frightening and terminator like.

It's the best smart phone still, certainly the fastest, but c'mon, really, still a 3.5" screen? You could easily fit a 4" screen on that enclosure with the size of the bezel. That would have been a HUGE improvement. As I've said before, I do not care for the glass back on the iPhone 4. Why would they keep that when it's susceptible to cracks? Aluminum!!!!

Upnorth
10-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Extremely underwhelmed by the decision to keep the same enclosure for the iPhone 4S. Bad move. Aluminum is much better.

The new camera looks amazing. By far the best camera ever in a smart phone. Should rival point and shoots from a few years ago with it's advanced backlit sensor. It really is about time someone has leveraged gyroscopes/accelerometers to do stabilization.

The software looks incredible. iOs 5 looks awesome. The siri stuff is really quite scary to me. It's ridiculously cool technology much like IBM's Watson with it's natural language processing. Having said that, it's a little frightening and terminator like.

It's the best smart phone still, certainly the fastest, but c'mon, really, still a 3.5" screen? You could easily fit a 4" screen on that enclosure with the size of the bezel. That would have been a HUGE improvement. As I've said before, I do not care for the glass back on the iPhone 4. Why would they keep that when it's susceptible to cracks? Aluminum!!!!

Does the security have cracks like the case???

Partial
10-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Does the security have cracks like the case???

No, that's Android. iOs and it's sandboxed nature is inherently more secure.

Partial
10-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Just called Sprint. My SERO premium (40$) account will work evidently with a subsidized iPhone!

Unlimited everything for 40$ and a 199$ 16GB iPhone 4S.

*Happy Dance!*
*Happy Dance!*
*Happy Dance!*
*Happy Dance!*
*Happy Dance!*
*Happy Dance!*

easy cheesy
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
We'll say that I'm careful with my data. Phones can be stolen. If someone wants a pic of my cat that badly, let 'em have at it, but you won't find pics of my kid. After a rash of car thefts several years ago where the car thieves used the navigation to go rob the people's houses, trying to get to my home will take you to my kid's old elementary school. We don't have a texting plan because we, you know, call each other and I don't use people's full names in my contact list. You'd have to know who they are for the list to do you any good. Good luck hijacking my life from my phone. I have a smart phone for navigation & maps and finding coffee shops and for scanning random bar codes, identifying songs, reading and entertaining myself when I have a few minutes and no knitting with me. Oh and for music when I need it. And by the way, if you read this post, you'll realize that my post was completely serious. Unlike all your replies when I've tried to help you out in your life.

DAYUM!... You're good!... :bow: ... I'm "wired" just like you (a bit literally and a little bit more so figuratively) and exercise the same due dilligence in doing what I can to prevent "issues" with regards to the potential dispersion of personal info... like not including the last names of my contacts etc...

Partial
10-05-2011, 09:28 AM
This Forbes article is interesting.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenwunker/2011/10/04/why-apples-amazing-siri-may-herald-the-end-of-the-iphone/

Having said that, I think the choice is clear. Apple is a hardware company. Period. They'll never stop making innovative, high end high margin devices for consumers as long as Steve is with us.

Partial
10-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Steve Jobs has passed away. Rest in peace, Steve.

woodbuck27
10-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Security on a phone is a serious issue and one that I think people overlook. Its all too easy to crack bluetooth and get a phonebook and pictures--everything a bastard kid needs to potentially blackmail you.

What's 'a Packer Fan' need to hide?

Patler
10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
AAPL. Just saw a 12 month estimate at 610 USD. It's at 385 right now.

You may have just gotten lucky, Pat, I have no idea. Historical annual yields are what, less than 10%. 100% in 2 years when I should be earning 18-20% if spectacular. Sure, some stocks may do better, others may do worse. If I make a 300% profit in 4 years, which mathematically will likely happen, that's downright unbelievable. Regardless of your stocks may have done, it's foolish to say that AAPL has been anything less than a dream stock.

AAPL is recession proof right now. It's unbelievably safe. The PEG ratio is fantastic. People are not going to stop buying iPhones and iPads anytime soon. Apple has this market by the balls and the strangle hold will only continue to get stronger while the total size of the market increases. 150M iPhones in one year at 400 profit per phone?? RIDICULOUS!!

It's not foolish to love a stock that is recession proof, has gone up >100% in two years, and is likely to hit 1000 within a few years, giving me a >500% return. Yes, I know, when the market would have made me ~50% in 5 years, I've been busy making 500%. 10x market pace IS priceless!

I don't agree with this. It's risky, yes, but it's a calculated risk. It's not playing blackjack. There is sound math and historical evidence behind it.

Apple is about as recession proof as it gets, imo. There margins are 40-50%. If they need to temporarily cut the cost of goods to sell them, they'll be able to do so and still be quite profitable.

Obviously there are inherit risks with investing. I'm really big into applying math principals into them. Lots of people look at PE, but I like the much less commonly used PEG because it accounts for growth. PEG ratio is a phenomenal indication for purchasing stocks. Something like 94% of stocks perform according to what the ratio dictates I've read. That's a pretty strong indication, in my opinion.

FWIW, AAPL has the biggest market capitalization of any company in the world. There's nothing tinkertoy about it.

Patler, I completely agree with you that obviously there are stocks that are going to do better and worse. I know you obviously like AAPL, who wouldn't when they own it :), my point is saying that while there may be some better stocks out there, AAPL is pretty outrageously good. Lots of financial analysts that are quoted on appleinsider.com are saying that 600 is the new 12 month price, and that it's only going to keep going up. I've read some say that is it the best stock to buy right now. We both know it's ridiculously under valued. Eventually the market has a way of correcting itself and putting it's PE in line with other very large companies (which will make it very, very valuable). IMO, it's very safe, and it's something that I know very well and follow closely. Part of the reason I'm such a strong advocate for it is because I follow Apple as closely as anyone. It would be foolish for me to invest in some other companies that I don't follow and aren't particularly interested in supporting, because I won't know when the time is right to buy in or get out.

RG hit the nail on the head when he said a few years back to only invest in something you fully understand. For me, that's AAPL and that's why I'm such a strong advocate of it.

Analysts could be wrong, but their livelihood depends on them being right.

"RBC Capital Markets sees Apple earning $110 billion in revenue in fiscal 2011, growing to $140 billion in revenue the following year, and $167 billion by fiscal 2013. It has a $500 price target for AAPL stock."

167 billion at 25-30% operating margin is just incredible. The race to $1000 continues!

Partial;

Big day for AAPL tomrrow, could be awful for their share price.

Estimates for AAPL were $7.296 quarterly earnings per share, and they reported $7.05 today after the close. Their first "miss" in about 5 years.

Could trigger a massive sell-off of AAPL as those with "paper profits" earned over the last 2 years seek to lock them in. A drop of $40-$50/share (about 10%) will probably happen. Maybe even a lot more than that.

It appears the analysts were, in fact, wrong, at least in their quarterly estimates.

They key factor now is if this causes FY2012 revisions downward; or if the delay in releasing the new iphone is simply pushing sales back.

AAPL share price could take a double hit as investors ruminate over not only the first quarterly "miss" in forever, but also what the death of Steve Jobs will mean to the company.

Patler
10-18-2011, 09:28 PM
The analysts "could be wrong"? Do you realize that good analysts and investing systems ARE wrong about 45% of the time? They make their money on the 10% differential, being right 55% of the time and wrong 45% of the time. That, and limiting the losses when they are wrong.

There is a saying among analysts that, in the long term, the market is never wrong. What they mean is that the market determines the share price, regardless of what analysts think the price should be. So the market is never wrong, but analysts often are wrong.

So far, over the last two years or so, AAPL has climbed steadily, and that is a good thing. Momentum is a good thing. But, AAPL has missed the analysts share price targets continually. In spite of significant "beats" on earning estimates, the stock has moved upward more slowly than analysts have predicted, and that is a bad thing, because analysts' share price estimates are based on their earnings estimates. While AAPL has exceeding the analysts earnings estimates significantly, the share price has not hit the analysts targets.

In other words, the market has been less impressed with AAPL's performance than the analysts have been. That makes AAPL a stock that should be watched closely. If they ever barely beat the consensus earnings estimates, or miss it, the stock could top out. In short, the market may determine the "correct" P/E for AAPL to be far different than analysts think it should be.

The outlandish sales estimates like what you quoted give me concern as an investor. The more aggressive the analysts become in their sales estimates, the more likely it will be that AAPL will miss one. A miss from a company that has routinely beaten estimates by a lot will stop the share price momentum dead in its tracks.

I agree completely, and the sad part is that as unreliable as P/E is for the reasons you gave, it is the most reliable component of PEG. The "G" part is predicted growth (either over 3 or 5 years) and historically the estimates aren't close.

A study was done by the Penn State business school covering all published estimates from Wall Street analysts over a 20 year period. Their average annual growth from their 5 year estimates was 14.9% growth. Actual growth for those companies was 9.1% That was based on a 20 year comprehensive study. They weren't much more accurate on the shorter term one year estimates. Their average annual growth from 1 year predictions was 13.8% and the actual growth was 9.8%

Their estimates miss by 50%.

PEG is like any other predictive tool, it should be used in conjunction with other factors and tools to look for consistency or inconsistency in the results. It shouldn't be relied on too heavily in and of itself.

Little did I realize that when I said AAPL would eventually have a quarterly "miss" that it would be the very next one.

mraynrand
10-19-2011, 02:20 AM
AAPL share price could take a double hit as investors ruminate over not only the first quarterly "miss" in forever, but also what the death of Steve Jobs will mean to the company.

http://idiotflashback.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/11491-14967.gif

Patler
10-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Estimates for AAPL were $7.296 quarterly earnings per share, and they reported $7.05 today after the close. Their first "miss" in about 5 years.

They key factor now is if this causes FY2012 revisions downward; or if the delay in releasing the new iphone is simply pushing sales back.

So far, analysts seem to be perceiving the miss as the result of sales movement, not lost sales, as customers postponed iPhone purchases to wait for the new model. Their projections for 2012 are up about 4% from previous projections.

AAPL shares down about 5%.