PDA

View Full Version : Heroes & Goats

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Heroes: Cobb, Driver, Wells, TJ Lang, Raji, Rodgers
Goats: whoever was trying to blitz inside

Iron Mike
09-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Raji is a man amongst men......too bad no one else inside gives a shit.....

Smidgeon
09-08-2011, 11:31 PM
1) Wells played well. Pro Bowl at this pace?
2) Cobb ended GB's super long kickoff TD drought
3) Where was James Jones? Mostly injured? Dog house? What?
4) Rodgers was even with the pass distribution. Finley's an amazing talent, but I was glad to see the ball spread around.
5) Raji is unreal.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2011, 11:32 PM
It seemed like the packer rushers just sort of ran into a bunch and blocked each other, like ladies at a department store rushing for the last sale item

woodbuck27
09-08-2011, 11:34 PM

Driver 'as in Donald'. What did you see Harlan?

RashanGary
09-08-2011, 11:36 PM

Those two false starts for Lang sucked, but yeah, as far as us not really knowing what we have. . . . He played well. Better than Colledge from what I could tell.

I think the run game deserves some kudos too. We averaged 4.6 yard per carry, got at least one big third and short conversion (may have been more) and two rushing TD's. Seemed like the steadiest run game we've had in the TT era.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Driver 'as in Donald'. What did you see Harlan?
I am amazed that Driver still looks explosive. He's so quick after the catch. I have been down on him because of injury likelihood, but maybe i have to eat crow.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Those two false starts for Lang sucked, but yeah, I forgot about that, probably I should strip Lang of hero status. But he and Wells were really killing the linemen and linebackers on that side.

RashanGary
09-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I am amazed that Driver still looks explosive. He's so quick after the catch. I have been down on him because of injury likelihood, but maybe i have to eat crow.

I liked that too. The way he skipped away from that tackler and picked up an extra 5 or 10. Looked like Driver.

RashanGary
09-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I think Nelson gets a hero. He's really becoming a hell of a WR.

Lurker64
Jarius Wynn probably isn't worthy of a "hero" tag, but he played a lot better than I would have expected. For a guy his size (he's undersized for the position) he plays the run pretty well.

Joemailman
Jennings was fantastic. Collins was not.

RashanGary
09-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Anyone notice DJ Willaims played a handful or two snaps of FB? Weird. Everyone was calling him a zero and he played over Quarless.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2011, 11:42 PM
The tv announcers said Collins was injured at half time, had some sort of splint put on his arm. Maybe that accounts for down game?

mission
09-08-2011, 11:42 PM
I'll give Wynn a hero since he follows me on twitter.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Anyone notice DJ Willaims played a handful or two snaps of FB? What the hell was DJ Williams even doing on the active roster, when every packer pundit said the other rookie TE was much better ST and blocker?

What the hell is going on around this state?

Bossman641
09-08-2011, 11:47 PM
What the hell was DJ Williams even doing on the active roster, when every packer pundit said the other rookie TE was much better ST and blocker?

Yes I noticed and I kept commenting to my brother why is Williams motioning to FB. I think they ran out of that setup every time too. I could understand trying to throw it to DJ but having him lead blocking....what???

Lurker64
09-08-2011, 11:49 PM
What the hell was DJ Williams even doing on the active roster, when every packer pundit said the other rookie TE was much better ST and blocker?

The other rookie TE (who's supposedly the special teams demon) was inactive since he's dinged up. Hopefully when he comes back, our special teams will become good.

mission
09-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Offensive line was much better than anyone expected.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2011, 12:17 AM
I thought Wynn played well. I like Walden in coverage, and he had a pretty decent game, but I think Zombo will provide a more consistent pass rush.

Guiness
09-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Lang got the two false start penalties, but give him a break. They were early, he calmed down, and played well the rest of the way.

Lurker64
09-09-2011, 12:29 AM
I thought Wynn played well. I like Walden in coverage, and he had a pretty decent game, but I think Zombo will provide a more consistent pass rush.

Zombo sets a much better edge in the run game. Walden gets suckered inside a lot.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Jarius Wynn probably isn't worthy of a "hero" tag, but he played a lot better than I would have expected. For a guy his size (he's undersized for the position) he plays the run pretty well.

I`d give a honorable mention to Wynn. He came up big when it wasn't really expected.

Another would go out to Walden. A couple of good pressures and good in coverage.

Iron Mike
09-09-2011, 12:47 AM
I`d give a honorable mention to Wynn. He came up big when it wasn't really expected.

Another would go out to Walden. A couple of good pressures and good in coverage.

Were you watching the same game I was watching??? When he wasn't blitzing, he was TOTALLY sucking ass....

Pugger
09-09-2011, 01:26 AM
I didn't see a lot of pressures from anybody in this game. CM3 was being triple and/or double-teamed so a LB or D lineman on the other side of formation should have been able to get after Brees more often.

vince
09-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Heroes:
Cobb gets Superhero status. I don't remember a debut like that since that Favre guy came on the scene. I'd say step aside James Jones, but it looks like he already has.
Jennings & Finley - multiple SICK back-shoulder grabs
Rodgers - that guy's gonna be good some day too.
Wells - I was ready to write him off, but Ted needs to get him re-upped.
Sitton and Lang - a couple maulers at guard sure is nice to have.
Clifton - held up pretty well and hopefully he continues to get into his groove.
Bulaga - He looks like he's going to be Mr. Reliable.
Starks and Grant look like they could be a good tandem, especially when the o-line gets it done.
Pickett and Raji were beasts in the middle, especially on the play of the game
Driver - is obviously still a weapon getting open in big situations and the on-side kick recovery was a great play at a critical time.
Nelson - looks like he's picking up right where he left off at the end of last year and through the playoffs.
Both teams were heroes for laying it on the line. Exciting game and fantastic finish on a huge stage. Football is back baby.

Goat's
Hawk was toasted, though Sproles will do that to a few linebackers, and was often a step (or more) slow.
Collins was abused at times.
Shields needs to get consistent.
Masthay didn't get off to the start I'm sure he'd have liked.
Final offensive series - They needed to pound out a first down to seal the game and couldn't do it.
Dom has some work to do, especially if Williams is out.
Slocum has some work to do with the coverage teams.

smuggler
09-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Hawk made the play of the game at the end. It's a shame the guy with the bad angle overruled the sideline guy. If you noticed, those officials were yelling at eachother as they were conferring about the "DPI" that was called on Hawk at the end of the game. It was a clean play, he only made contact with Sproles after he made contact with the ball, and was playing the ball all the way. It was an incredible play, and I'm sad that some hotshot referee had to ruin the ending of an amazing game like that.

VegasPackFan
09-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Wells was very good. I'm worried about Clifton. I don't see that he has it right now.

Freak Out
09-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Cliffy has more than any other LT on the roster.

woodbuck27
09-09-2011, 05:29 AM
It seemed like the packer rushers just sort of ran into a bunch and blocked each other, like ladies at a department store rushing for the last sale item

hahaha....Remember way back when we ran the Harlan and Woody show Packer fan. There ... we're some times. We've come through alot here at Packerrats going back to those dreadful JSO days. Somehow havn't we all come to become at least sorta friends? Probably not...hahaaha. All I know is that I'm friendy. Jesus knows that too. (-;

The Guy's and Gal's of Packerrats.

Posters like you Harlan and Mad, Nutz and Skinny. retailguy, FavreChild (where is she?), BFforMVP (same thing?) Scott Campbell and Tarlam ... the ala Midget Tag team .. hahaaha... GrnBay007, M J Ziggy, Lurker64, what's his name?? BullpitbullmaddogOleyeller, Partial, Patler ... Our forum accountant ... , Fosco33, Zo ooh ahh ool, Freak Out (reminds me of a song), Vince ... Our historian ..., pbmax ... OUR Packer genious , Wizard, digitaldean, Justin Harrell ...growing up and a passionate packer fan par excellence, Harvey 'the brightest LIGHT, Bretzky 'The Man ', and Guiness 'another Canuck'.

I think there are other Canucks on Packerrats.

KY Pack is 'a special Packer fan', that teaches us all what it really means to love the Packers. Esoxx 'the man I must rise up to on the ProPickem'. and 'the LBer expert'. We all know who I mean but I'm slow early in the mornin'... Mraynrand and his special blend of intelligence, mixed with humour; A real beauty ' in my book'. So many other's I fail in not mentioning and I aplogize for that as y'all touch me somehow. Damn I'll always miss TANK. So many we're once a part of us.

Where did they disappear to. How do we get them back?

We're really like a Family here at Packerrats. Ohh Gee I'm being nostalgic - sentimentle. Showing my ' soft side '. Heaven forbid.

I thank the likes of Mad ever day that I can come into my Green Bay Packer HOME when I find the time to be with fellow PACKER FANS and learn more about football. WHAT A VERY ' SPECIAL' PRIVALEGE 'YOU HARLAN' and MAD AND OTHER OWNERS GIVE US REGULAR POSTERS. Who in the world is Joe? Is that Mad as well? I don't need to know AS I LOVE MYSTERY. That's what LIFE really is. A fricken mystery. We're here to learn something positive from one another. Not act like baboons.

but really I love Packerrats....and everyone that finds this place their PACKER HOME.

GO PACK GO.

but really and ahh... where is the fricken 'D'? Come on MM and stop taking the running game away like a friend with all the candy.

Don't find it and we can kiss our collectve ass's as Packer fans and actually enoying 'a repeat'. GOOD BYE !

bobblehead
09-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Anyone notice DJ Willaims played a handful or two snaps of FB? Weird. Everyone was calling him a zero and he played over Quarless.

That was one of the things I was saying way back after the draft...that I expected us to line up TE's at FB at times to counter a dime defense and run the ball from that formation. No clue if we ran with DJ at FB or not. Anyone remember?

bobblehead
09-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Yes I noticed and I kept commenting to my brother why is Williams motioning to FB. I think they ran out of that setup every time too. I could understand trying to throw it to DJ but having him lead blocking....what???

Answered...thanx boss.

bobblehead
09-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Hawk made the play of the game at the end. It's a shame the guy with the bad angle overruled the sideline guy. If you noticed, those officials were yelling at eachother as they were conferring about the "DPI" that was called on Hawk at the end of the game. It was a clean play, he only made contact with Sproles after he made contact with the ball, and was playing the ball all the way. It was an incredible play, and I'm sad that some hotshot referee had to ruin the ending of an amazing game like that.

I thought he got there about a millisecond early, but NO WAY that flag gets thrown on 2nd and 10 from the 50 in the 3rd quarter.

Bossman641
09-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Didn't think Bishop played particularly well. He missed what should have been an easy tackle on Pierre Thomas.

Fritz
09-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Some things I saw:

I can't believe more people have not commented upon James Jones's disappearance. My buddy and I kept wondering if he was hurt - we didn't even see the guy on the field. Then suddenly he catches one third down pass, I think, for like one yard, and off he goes, never to be seen again. How many snaps did he even play? What the hell is going on with him? Is he maybe hurt still? But if he is, why even put him on the field at all?

Secondly, Jarius Wynn played a hell of a game, I thought. Even against the run he looked pretty good.

I was so pissed when Masthay hit that really shitty punt - his second one, I think, the line drive that Sproles returned. The dude punts like an All Pro all camp long, then comes out when it counts and poops the bed, pees his pants, shrivels his scrotum, etc.

I am dying to start a "Fire Slocum" thread. I can't bear to give him much credit for the return game, since Cobb seems an incredible talent Slocum's had dropped into his lap. And of course there were the usual special-teams gaffes - a penalty on what would have been a big return by Cobb, and the huge, huge holes for Sproles. And what the hell was up with effing with Crosby's kickoffs? The dude, early in the game, was nailing the ball into the back of the end zone on kickoffs. And then suddenly somewhere around what, the third quarter, he's trying to kick it to the right and it only goes to like the goal line, then he's kicking it some other direction and Sproles returns it. I get the pop-up at the end so Sproles couldn't touch it - except Crosby early in the game was kicking right to the back of the damn end zone. Did the wind change direction or speed? Honestly. Fire Slocum. I know I'm being a fan on this one, but their special teams just pisses me off. Except for Cobb on returns.

I was not impressed overall with Finley's (lack of) blocking. He whiffed on a few. Starks missed some reads too when he stayed back to block.

Ryan Grant just does not look like as good a runner as Starks.

I see that Bush is ahead of Lee in the cornerback sweepstakes. It was Bush who came in for Williams, not Lee.

Walden had a couple good plays, but most of the time he was getting blocked or run by, it seemed to me.

Desmond Bishop was invisible.

Hawk had and up and down game, but that was not a penalty at the end. He absolutely touched the ball before he touched the receiver.

Outside the two false starts, I thought TJ Lang played rather well. Better than Colledge, I'd say.

I thought Quarless, for the most part, blocked well.

woodbuck27
09-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Nice crditable post Vince.

Driver - is obviously still a weapon getting open in big situations and the on-side kick recovery was a great play at a critical time.

Nice news !

GO PACK GO !

smuggler
09-09-2011, 07:04 AM
I think the non-call on the block in the back on the Sproles return was stupid. The guy is trailing our dude, grabs hold of the front of our player's jersey and then pushes him down from behind. He "engaged" from the front/side, so the block in the back is okay?

Block in the back is designed to protect players from being pushed down from behind. The reason the call was terrible (don't anyone let Cris Collinsworth know, I guess) is that the intent of the rule didn't make it to the field. And... our guy was right there to make a play.

Kuhn's IBitB penalty was well away from the play, and considerably softer. The referees are over-thinking shit and not translating the intent of the rules to the field.

Brandon494
09-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Hawk, dude can't even make a simple wrap up tackle which leads to Williams getting injured.

Packers4Glory
09-09-2011, 08:00 AM
IDK where Jones was, but I don't think Cobb is ready for a ton of snaps offensively. He admittedly ran the wrong route, so the fact he scored is a bit of a fluke mixed w/ a lot of raw ability. Cobb obviously has a lot of work to do w/ knowing the playbook. He may become more of an offensive threat late in the season as he learns a role. I'd be shocked if he makes much of an impact going forward the first half of the season at WR.

Packers4Glory
09-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Hawk, dude can't even make a simple wrap up tackle which leads to Williams getting injured.

I like hawk...but he gets top goat. Missing a tackle, that looked fairly easy as far as tackling a NFL player goe,s that ended up w/ Williams getting injured along w/ the PI in the end zone. Even tho I think the PI was an iffy call at best.

I'm grading him the King goat mostly for possibly costing our best cover corner games.

KYPack
09-09-2011, 08:22 AM
When you use your arm to "engage" the tackler on a return, that's called holding 99% of the time and it doesn't negate the contact that ensues.

Ryan Pickett had a flat out spectacular game. The Saints G C G bunch is as good as there is in the league and Big Ryan and Raji kicked ass against 'em all night long.

Cobb? He's my boy and he did UK proud last night.

The more you are exposed to Randall, the more impressed you are. Post game, he explained how both his touchdowns were blown assignments. He broke the ST rule on kick-off by running one back that was deeper than five in the EZ. On his TD catch, he missed an audible and ran the original route instead of the drag route Rodgers had changed the play to. Rodgers hit him anyway and Randall converted the play into a score. He stressed that he had made mental errors and he would work to get that corrected. This kid is one in a million. He will be in the film room today, getting everything right.

All that said, I still don't want to see this kid return kick-offs. His natural aggressiveness couples with his return syle and we risk losing him to serious injury every time he grabs a KR. He's great to watch, tho, ain't he? I had to add this, it makes you feel old. Randall Cobb was born in Aug. of 1990, makiing him the first NFL player born in the 90's. Cobb was born just a year before the Saints kicker started in the NFL.

James Starks had one that made me laugh. In the 4th quarter, the Saints blitzed to his side. He was determined to get the blitz pick-up done. You can see he's been working on it. He read the blitz and stepped up. He engaged with the proper footwork. He used his hands working with his body to sustain the block. And he finished the block, stoning the blitzer in the process. And Rodgers got sacked, dumped on his ass by the other blitzer. Starks got fucked by the old guy. Saints DC Gregg Williams ran a trail blitz to James' side and the second man in the double storm got home. That's OK, kid, it was a scheme thing. Let Coach McStubb figure that all out. You did your job, sometimes that's all you can do.

mmmdk
09-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Rodgers, GJ & Cobb were out of this world and the rest of the offense did great too.

I won't point fingers at one defender 'cos the lack of consistant pressure and, at times, sloppy coverage has me worried. Sure 3 sacks but mostly Saints picked our interior pressure up easily and even burned our blitzes. Yet not more worried than I recognize that Saints are a pretty good team.

Masthay needs to angle the punts to the sidelines; but don't Slocum call those? Masthay can punt the rock where he wants; he's that good. This gotta be on the playcalling.

pbmax
09-09-2011, 08:46 AM
I think the non-call on the block in the back on the Sproles return was stupid. The guy is trailing our dude, grabs hold of the front of our player's jersey and then pushes him down from behind. He "engaged" from the front/side, so the block in the back is okay?

Block in the back is designed to protect players from being pushed down from behind. The reason the call was terrible (don't anyone let Cris Collinsworth know, I guess) is that the intent of the rule didn't make it to the field. And... our guy was right there to make a play.

Kuhn's IBitB penalty was well away from the play, and considerably softer. The referees are over-thinking shit and not translating the intent of the rules to the field.

Who is overthinking this? :)

Fosco33
09-09-2011, 08:54 AM
RE: Slocum and the popup kickoffs....

I'm guessing he's played through various scenarios and was doing tests. The hunch - given the coverage unit is 5 yards closer - if you give them 4.5-5 seconds, they can get to the 25 and engage with goal of having the opponent start inside their 20. We'll have to see if other teams try this on Sunday...

Are the few yards and possible fumble worth the risk of a TD or injuries? I have to presume they know the answer.

I'm definitely not a Slocum fan or apologist. STs have been our Achilles Heel for too long and wouldn't mind new leadership here.

pbmax
09-09-2011, 09:07 AM
At some point, the youngsters just have to play to get themselves straightened out. Walden isn't going to get better unless he plays. And like Lurker, I expected Zombo to get more credit for setting an edge in the run game, but the reports all camp were Walden having an edge in rush D, despite the fact that he gets sucked inside and is vulnerable to cutbacks. I hope he solves it before we swap in Zombo to decide which narrative is true.

If Matthews is getting double-teamed, someone else needs to get home, don't care who it is. This pass D reminded me a lot of the Arizona playoff game. Wynn played better than expected, but someone needed to land hard on Brees to knock him off stride.

Lang was a monster in some of his run blocks (so was Wells who drive back a DT on Starks TD run like I haven't seen in years, Lang took out Shaun Rogers on another play that nearly made me cry) and gets a week to take some ginseng, fish oil and ginkgo biloba to try to remember the freaking snap count.

Someone posted that Grant and Starks were closer than generally realized in delivering a blow in the running game. Bull feathers. Starks may not be a 60 yd TD back, but he runs like he is 20 lbs heavier. I like the combo though, and hope M3 continues to run and pass with both in the game.

Long live the HIPPO formation.

Bush had a good game and deserves an apology thread. He actually located the ball in coverage and made a play. He may have a future as a DB.

Larrivee said in the post game that Boomer Esiason (Westwood One Radio) observed after the game that the tackling was brutal due to short camp, no offseason and lack of padded practices. I hope that was it and that it will get better as the season progresses. Hawk and Bishop were the only two who looked surprised to be in a game, though Hawk did have some good coverage and batted pass I think.

Finley cannot be covered by conventional means, and Jennings isn't far behind.

Everyone stop with the James Jones is done nonsense. Last year after the first game, everyone expected Hawk to be put on waivers by Tuesday after the Eagles game. Its one game. Give it some time.

DJ Williams. Remember that he was an in-line TE in college and had more experience blocking than Ryan Taylor. It might not have been coincidence and injury that he ended up in the backfield, though I have no idea who else would have been inactive if Taylor was healthy.

I take it all back Scott Wells, favoring Spitz over you, you crazy, bald wrestler you.

Plans to kidnap Strength and Conditioning staff are still on and they are taking Slocum too if at all possible. I don't mind the 39 yard punt to the sideline with no return. Nothing wrong with a 39 Net and no threat of return. But the other punts to Sproles were a hot mess.

pbmax
09-09-2011, 09:09 AM
RE: Slocum and the popup kickoffs....

I'm guessing he's played through various scenarios and was doing tests. The hunch - given the coverage unit is 5 yards closer - if you give them 4.5-5 seconds, they can get to the 25 and engage with goal of having the opponent start inside their 20. We'll have to see if other teams try this on Sunday...

Are the few yards and possible fumble worth the risk of a TD or injuries? I have to presume they know the answer.

I'm definitely not a Slocum fan or apologist. STs have been our Achilles Heel for too long and wouldn't mind new leadership here.

Pop up kickoffs were OK by me. Like a punt to the sideline, it kills return chances in exchange for a few net yards. Better than starting them at midfield.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Wells was very good. I'm worried about Clifton. I don't see that he has it right now. I think he held up on pass blocking, but he is not much on the run.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Pop up kickoffs were OK by me. Like a punt to the sideline, it kills return chances in exchange for a few net yards . I think more teams will be practicing and using pop-up kicks, they make a lot of sense.

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2011, 09:14 AM
If Hawk gets goat status then so does Bishop. Bishop couldn't tackle and really wasn't all that impactful.

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I was not impressed overall with Finley's (lack of) blocking. He whiffed on a few.

On one sack, he had no friggin' clue who he was supposed to block. He just jammed into the line like a fool. He has to be better than that. That's all mental. He had another gaffe where Rodgers had to tell him where to line up. He needs to get his head out of the igloo and onto the field when he's blocking.

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Pop up kickoffs were OK by me. Like a punt to the sideline, it kills return chances in exchange for a few net yards. Better than starting them at midfield.

Yes. But only if you can't kick it out the back of the end zone.

imscott72
09-09-2011, 09:34 AM
If Hawk gets goat status then so does Bishop. Bishop couldn't tackle and really wasn't all that impactful.

How does Hawk get goat status? I thought he was around the ball all night, and that PI call was absolute horseshit. That was an amazing game saving play. I thought Bishop had a pretty poor game, as did Shields..

pbmax
09-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Yes. But only if you can't kick it out the back of the end zone.

Yeah, I am not sure why we haven't seen that from Crosby yet. He would seem to have the leg, but he has consistently been 8 yards deep and that is it.

pbmax
09-09-2011, 09:36 AM
How does Hawk get goat status? I thought he was around the ball all night, and that PI call was absolute horseshit. That was an amazing game saving play. I thought Bishop had a pretty poor game, as did Shields..

No blitz pressure (though on tipped pass) and he whiffed in the flat on Sproles (?) and that was the tackle Collins and Williams collided on.

imscott72
09-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I am not sure why we haven't seen that from Crosby yet. He would seem to have the leg, but he has consistently been 8 yards deep and that is it.

Meh, 8 yards deep is good enough. 90% of the time they aren't going to bring it out when you kick it that deep.

RashanGary
The other rookie TE (who's supposedly the special teams demon) was inactive since he's dinged up. Hopefully when he comes back, our special teams will become good.

6'2", great hands (I know, he's been out of rhythm so far, but great hands in college). 245 lbs. . .

Looks like MM has plans to use him as an H-back. Kind of a flexible player. If he gets into the groove on offense, having him and Finley on the field (Finley made some really good blocks) could turn into a very unpredictable package.

Cheesehead Craig
How does Hawk get goat status? I thought he was around the ball all night, and that PI call was absolute horseshit. That was an amazing game saving play.
I saw some comments about Hawk being a goat in the thread but Bishop seemed to be getting a pass on his crummy play.

I watched Hawk's PI play and I think I see where the officials are coming from. When Hawk first starts his jump, his left arm clocks Sproles in the head. THat's what I think the official called.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d822118e8/Packers-commit-penalty-in-end-zone

imscott72
09-09-2011, 09:43 AM
No blitz pressure (though on tipped pass) and he whiffed in the flat on Sproles (?) and that was the tackle Collins and Williams collided on.

I think you guys are being too hard on him. I don't know how many times they blitzed him, but thought he was fairly solid in coverage. Sure he whiffed one tackle, but so did a lot of guys. He was in the backfield a lot. Goat status is too harsh imo. I was really disappointed in Shields and Bishop more than anyone.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
There was no pass rush, the Packers kept sending multiple rushers up the middle and Saints O-linemen seemed to easily pick everything up. Who is at fault for that? The blitzers? Dline? Capers?

As MM would say, "we'll get that cleaned up."

RashanGary
09-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Cobb has a similar game to Jennings. Smart, good route adjustments, smooth, quick hands, fast, quick, natural. . . . I'm a big Jennings fan, thought there was slim chance he could be Jennings good. Now I wonder. Do we have two Jennings?

Cobb actually looks a little better shaking tackles. That's a great slot characteristic. Jennings is so dynamic outside, has a little more size. . . . I don't know. . . . Hard to put limits on Cobb right now. Jennings uses his body so well for a guy his size. Goes up and gets the ball like he's 6'3", shields defenders like he's 220lbs. . . I like Cobb with the ball in his hands as much as Jennings in the small sample. Jennings sets a high bar as a complete WR though.

Similar to Jennings but a little different. Looks like we have a star though.

ThunderDan
09-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Everyone missed tackles last night so I don't care as much about that for Hawk.

What did concern me last night is that Hawk lost a lot of 1-on-1s in the run game where all he needed to do was get a draw and clog up that running lane. On a lot of the bigger runs Hawk let the OLine player that he was engaged with toss him out of the way. Bishop was horrible last night also. The 2 ILB last night were disappointing.

RashanGary
09-09-2011, 09:56 AM
There was no pass rush, the Packers kept sending multiple rushers up the middle and Saints O-linemen seemed to easily pick everything up. Who is at fault for that? The blitzers? Dline? Capers?

As MM would say, "we'll get that cleaned up."

Matthews played too disiplined. Once in a while just say screw it and go balls to the walls. Taht play whre he bit on the fake in the redzone at the end. . . screw it, just seek and destroy the QB. Another play he put his hands up mid rush when Brees pumped, then brees had time to throw it away. Screw it put your head down and kill him. Clay closes so fast, just the pure speed that he closes when he's going 100% is better than putting his hands up. If he's that close, there's no way the QB can get a good pass off unless he ends up dead on the ground from a hit. . . . At best, if he has any self preservation instinct at all, he gets off a wounded duck of an off balanced pass.

Matthews has more aggressivness in him. We need to see that next week. 10 yards on a play, ah well. One QB killer is worth a couple 10 yard screens.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Brees is hard to get pressure on. He's rarely sacked. He has a good OL, he knows where he's going with the ball, and he gets rid of it quick. You can give most of the guys on defense goat status (including Hawk and Bishop), but it's a tough matchup. I actually thought Hawk blitzed more and was relatively affective blitzing. He got Brees off his spot a few times. He did miss a couple of tackles and got a legit pass interference call on the last play though. It was kind of a tough break because he did a good job keeping with the defender and making a play on the ball, but he did hit the guy in the head early.

I'm trying to figure out how much of it is the Saints and how much of it is us. Atlanta had a pretty good defense last year, but we torched them. Same with Pittsburgh. Sometimes, the other team is just good.

pbmax
09-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Did anyone play bad enough that they weren't just a goat, but that they blow too?

mission
09-09-2011, 11:33 AM
And how many tackles did Burnett have? Like 37? Guy was everywhere cleaning up piles.

Packers4Glory
09-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Cobb needs to leave that God stuff out of it...I mean I believe an all, but I hate when guys use it like he did about the return TD. He should have just kept it to explaining how he messed up haha Thats good stuff. esp about the route he got wrong and still scored.

He gets a partial goat for his post game God comments!

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm trying to figure out how much of it is the Saints and how much of it is us. Atlanta had a pretty good defense last year, but we torched them. Same with Pittsburgh. Sometimes, the other team is just good.

Right on the money. This is a very good Saints team. They have talent across the roster, but most of it is on offense. They look a lot like the Packers. But they've had an entire off season to fester over that loss in Seattle, and you can bet they were chomping to erase that memory. We got everything they had. Solid win in a great game.

smuggler
09-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I was disappointed that Shields dropped both of those interceptions when he had better position.

pbmax
09-09-2011, 11:43 AM
And how many tackles did Burnett have? Like 37? Guy was everywhere cleaning up piles.

14 total with 9 solos. A few more than you would like a free safety to have (I will never understand why the Packer roster lists him at SS), but given the number of Bree's passes, understandable. And as always, better than no tackle.

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2011, 11:47 AM

14 total with 9 solos. A few more than you would like a free safety to have (I will never understand why the Packer roster lists him at SS), but given the number of Bree's passes, understandable. And as always, better than no tackle.

Plus he had a big hit on the last play at the goal line to stop Ingram.

denverYooper
09-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Brees is hard to get pressure on. He's rarely sacked. He has a good OL, he knows where he's going with the ball, and he gets rid of it quick. You can give most of the guys on defense goat status (including Hawk and Bishop), but it's a tough matchup. I actually thought Hawk blitzed more and was relatively affective blitzing. He got Brees off his spot a few times. He did miss a couple of tackles and got a legit pass interference call on the last play though. It was kind of a tough break because he did a good job keeping with the defender and making a play on the ball, but he did hit the guy in the head early.

Agree with most all of that. I was miffed about the PI last night but at the end of the day, he prevented a TD and the fatties finished off the kill in the end. Those guys had 2 huge game saving stands. Looks like they've been hitting the jazzercise classes over at the Y because they displayed some big man cardio last night.

There aren't many like Brees (and Rodgers) who can take over games no matter what the D is doing. I'm willing to bet that those guys had a blast last night trading punches as they did--you could see how dialed in Brees was at the end of the game, just excited to get back out there with a minute left. Those first 4 games are wacky but especially hard on Ds until they get more film to work from, especially on top of a shortened preseason. And especially for a D that relies very heavily on film study. When both QBs come out setting the field on fire, well shit.

That said, Shields got his hands on a couple of balls early. Needs to finish those out!

Cobb has some serious Kung-Fu. I wish they had a helmet cam on him because it looks like he can see the matrix dissolving into 1s and 0s at times. I swore he was hesitating too much but then he would find a path. It's weird because he doesn't look like a burner but it sure looks like he can see it. His stiff arm was some filthy nasty stuff.

3irty1
09-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Heros:

Mike McCarthy. Out-coached one of the best offensive minds in the game. Once again had a flawless game plan, for the most part the offense did whatever it wanted.
Jarius Wynn. Sandbagging SOB. He looks like a different player now that the games count. A year ago we were using TJ Lang instead of him for goal line stuff, it appears he's turned a weakness into a strength.
Raji/Pickett. If those Saints guards can't move them than no mortal man will.
Starks. HH's dark rituals seem to have paid off. He's got really nice vision.
Jennings/Finley. These two guys are the difference between our O and the Saints O.
Rodgers. Some might say that of all the players in the NFL, he is the most valuable. He will probably win awards for being good.
Sitton was a crushing block for us last night.
Clifton. I don't know if its just because Lang was next to him but Clifton had his best game as a run blocker in a long time.
Scott Wells has been playing at Collinsworth-pants-creaming level for a while now.
Jarrett Bush might have had the best game of everybody in the secondary for what that's worth.
Randal Cobb is better at football than he is at listening.
Moneyball and that fighting robot movie. I kind of want to see both after seeing the previews.

Goats:
The secondary. I'm not super worried or anything, they are the best secondary in the NFL but Drew Breez can make anyone look like a Goat on a good day.
Mathsay. Consider this a warning you practice star bastard.
Everyone who tired to tackle Pierre Thomas. Partially because its embarrassing and bad but also because some asshole at Madden saw it and is now justified for having that situation appear in the game all the time.

denverYooper
09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

+1.

7 tackles, 7 assists.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Heros:

Mike McCarthy. Out-coached one of the best offensive minds in the game. Once again had a flawless game plan, for the most part the offense did whatever it wanted.
Jarius Wynn. Sandbagging SOB. He looks like a different player now that the games count. A year ago we were using TJ Lang instead of him for goal line stuff, it appears he's turned a weakness into a strength.
Jennings/Finley. These two guys are the difference between our O and the Saints O.
Rodgers. Some might say that of all the players in the NFL, he is the most valuable. He will probably win awards for being good.
Clifton. I don't know if its just because Lang was next to him but Clifton had his best game as a run blocker in a long time.
Scott Wells has been playing at Collinsworth-pants-creaming level for a while now.
Jarrett Bush might have had the best game of everybody in the secondary for what that's worth.
Moneyball and that fighting robot movie. I kind of want to see both after seeing the previews.

Goats:
The secondary. I'm not super worried or anything, they are the best secondary in the NFL but Drew Breez can make anyone look like a Goat on a good day.
Everyone who tired to tackle Pierre Thomas. Partially because its embarrassing and bad but also because some asshole at Madden saw it and is now justified for having that situation appear in the game all the time.

This post is both good and funny. Well done, sir.

red
09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
we just beat what might very well be the "other" best team in the NFC. a team with an offense almost equally as awesome as ours, and a D that was just as good as ours last year

it wasn't always pretty, but it was a big win against a very, very good team, and one that we could be seeing again late in january

red
09-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Heros:

Goats:

i really hope the slippery field on the southern end had something to do with the secondary looking so bad. they also had a couple of chances for int's, they need to come up with those when you get the chance against brees

Upnorth
09-09-2011, 12:17 PM
So I think that on the D that everyone played well at times, but outside of Raji, Pickett and burnett, no one played up to there ability for the whole game. If they dont gel and play whole games it will be a short post season if we make it. Collins new role may have thrown him, but that is just excuses. Shields look ok, but missed some important things. The LB's as a whole would have played a C- game. They Saints are a top 5 offence, put to come down to the last play when we scored 42 is a red flag to me.

red
09-09-2011, 12:22 PM
where the hell has jarious wynn been hiding this whole time?

he looked like a monster out there. i never expected that kind of performance out of him

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 12:26 PM
The Falcons and the Chargers are the next toughest offensive teams the Packers will have to play. Maybe Tampa if they can put it together. We won't face San Diego in the playoff until the Superbowl. I have a hard time believing the Packer defense won't look a lot better going forward, and will only struggle against a handful of teams. I'm pretty sure ATL and NO don't see the Packers as an 'easy out' in the playoffs.

imscott72
09-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Cobb needs to leave that God stuff out of it...I mean I believe an all, but I hate when guys use it like he did about the return TD. He should have just kept it to explaining how he messed up haha Thats good stuff. esp about the route he got wrong and still scored.

He gets a partial goat for his post game God comments!

Goat status because he mentioned God? Remind me not to stand next to you anytime soon..:)

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Goat status because he mentioned God? Remind me not to stand next to you anytime soon..:)

Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0mx5ERj1eI

Packers4Glory
09-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Goat status because he mentioned God? Remind me not to stand next to you anytime soon..:) no, its how he did it and what he said. hah

Lurker64
09-09-2011, 01:39 PM
If God actually talks to Randall Cobb, I'm glad we have him on our team.

pbmax
09-09-2011, 02:10 PM

I dunno about that. What if God has money on the Bears?

KYPack
09-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Everybody needs a god of some sort, P4G.

hoosier
09-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Presenting......the goat god:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8025/pan2w.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2011, 03:25 PM
If God tells Cobb to run 8 more kicks back for TDs this season and he does. I'm happy.

Pugger
09-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Speaking of Cobb's TD return did any of you notice how fast Pat Lee is?? He came up from behind Cobb and escorted him into the end zone!

Fritz
09-09-2011, 04:20 PM
My earlier post contained my admittedly fan-ish observations. I do want to clarify: I'm not suggesting Jones is as good as gone, or useless, or any of that. I was just quite surprised I didn't see him more.

I also want to say Greg Jennings is frickin' incredible. That dude could catch a 90 mph medicine ball thrown away from his body while a thug points a gun at Jennings's head and a hot stripper plays with his thang and the fog rolls in from the bay.

As for my earlier ranting about firing Slocum, well, I'll get that cleaned up this week.

red
09-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Speaking of Cobb's TD return did any of you notice how fast Pat Lee is?? He came up from behind Cobb and escorted him into the end zone!

i was wondering about this, is lee really fast, or does cobb not have a top gear?

there were a lot of guys from both teams running with him on that play.

the good thing is he can go from zero to full speed in like 1 step, and not slow down while cutting, but he might not have that top gear

like barry sanders

pbmax
09-09-2011, 04:37 PM
My earlier post contained my admittedly fan-ish observations. I do want to clarify: I'm not suggesting Jones is as good as gone, or useless, or any of that. I was just quite surprised I didn't see him more.

I also want to say Greg Jennings is frickin' incredible. That dude could catch a 90 mph medicine ball thrown away from his body while a thug points a gun at Jennings's head and a hot stripper plays with his thang and the fog rolls in from the bay.

As for my earlier ranting about firing Slocum, well, I'll get that cleaned up this week.

Watch your pad level too, you waist bender.

denverYooper
09-09-2011, 04:38 PM
i was wondering about this, is lee really fast, or does cobb not have a top gear?

the good thing is he can go from zero to full speed in like 1 step, and not slow down while cutting, but he might not have that top gear

like barry sanders

Plus, he's got this going for him:

http://community.sedona.com/blogs/kagan-bayraktaroglu/attachments/279d1291149381-just-let-go-matrix-matrix1.jpg

Fritz
09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Watch your pad level too, you waist bender.

I know. Bend at the knees, keep your feet moving. I'll get that cleaned up with my practice posts this week.

3irty1
09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
The Falcons and the Chargers are the next toughest offensive teams the Packers will have to play. Maybe Tampa if they can put it together. We won't face San Diego in the playoff until the Superbowl. I have a hard time believing the Packer defense won't look a lot better going forward, and will only struggle against a handful of teams. I'm pretty sure ATL and NO don't see the Packers as an 'easy out' in the playoffs.

I personally think that KC and Tampa could both be tougher than the Falcons. The Falcons have some talent but last years record record wasn't indicative of their team IMO. But, maybe their luck just won't run out for 10 years like a certain team from Chicago.

mission
09-09-2011, 05:51 PM

like barry sanders

He's obviously not a complete burner but I think his speed is comparable to Jennings in that he just plays so fast. I don't think the end of the KOR is that telling of his speed compared to Lee. Lee caught him from behind and then actually went past him. 0.1/forty difference isn't going to create that slingshot effect... Cobb felt comfortable with his wall of Packers and wasn't going 100% at the very end.

Crazy tho that Cobb never took a KO back to the house in college...

mission
09-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I personally think that KC and Tampa could both be tougher than the Falcons. The Falcons have some talent but last years record record wasn't indicative of their team IMO. But, maybe their luck just won't run out for 10 years like a certain team from Chicago.

KC is a joke against us IMO

red
09-09-2011, 05:57 PM
He's obviously not a complete burner but I think his speed is comparable to Jennings in that he just plays so fast. I don't think the end of the KOR is that telling of his speed compared to Lee. Lee caught him from behind and then actually went past him. 0.1/forty difference isn't going to create that slingshot effect... Cobb felt comfortable with his wall of Packers and wasn't going 100% at the very end.

Crazy tho that Cobb never took a KO back to the house in college...

watch that return again, i just did

cobb is running as hard as he can. jordy is ahead blocking, lee is moving faster, bush is catching up, quarless, green, and williams are just behind him and keeping up and if you watch real close you can also see crabtree keeping up just behind those 3

mission
09-09-2011, 06:09 PM

cobb is running as hard as he can. jordy is ahead blocking, lee is moving faster, bush is catching up, quarless, green, and williams are just behind him and keeping up and if you watch real close you can also see crabtree keeping up just behind those 3

You know, it literally just showed on NFLN and I might have to change my tone a bit... :)

pbmax
09-09-2011, 06:24 PM
KC is a joke against us IMO

They are capable of self destructing, but they can rush the passer enough that I would be wary of them. Crennel is legit on the D side of the ball. Not saying they are better, but capable of a surprise.

Fritz
09-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure any team is a "joke" against the Packers. Don't you all remember all those nail biters and those losses to world-beaters Miami and Washington last season?

Lurker64
09-09-2011, 07:03 PM
They are capable of self destructing, but they can rush the passer enough that I would be wary of them. Crennel is legit on the D side of the ball. Not saying they are better, but capable of a surprise.

I can see Hali giving Clifton a lot of trouble in that game.

MJZiggy
09-09-2011, 07:07 PM
So Finley was a hero in the first half, but where did he go in the second?

red
09-09-2011, 07:22 PM

we saw this alot last year when finley was out, so i don't think we can put any blame on him

many times last year we came flying out of the gates and completely dominated the first half. then it almost seems like we take our foot off the gas and just try and hang on

we got the ball 5 times in the second half last night.

one was the cobb return.

one was the very long drive in the 4th after we stopped them on 4th and went 90 yards or so for a TD

one drive was 7 plays for 17 yards. took almost 5 minutes off the clock, we must have been running a lot then.

the other 2 series were 3 and outs

besides one drive in the 4th, we went away from what was working in the first half. and that's one thing that drove me ape shit bout stubby last year, come out completely dominating, then half way through we stop doing that and just cruise

its like usain bolt flying out to a huge lead over the first 50 meters, then jogging the last 50 and just holding on

MJZiggy
09-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Someone needs to remind him at halftime.

red
09-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Someone needs to remind him at halftime.

maybe the team should put a shock collar around his neck and when he starts to get complacent maybe someone like rodgers or kevin green can hit the button and give him a little jolt to wake him back up

The Shadow
09-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Agreed.
That was NOT interference, it was a fine play.

Joemailman
09-09-2011, 07:51 PM
we saw this alot last year when finley was out, so i don't think we can put any blame on him

many times last year we came flying out of the gates and completely dominated the first half. then it almost seems like we take our foot off the gas and just try and hang on

we got the ball 5 times in the second half last night.

one was the cobb return.

one was the very long drive in the 4th after we stopped them on 4th and went 90 yards or so for a TD

one drive was 7 plays for 17 yards. took almost 5 minutes off the clock, we must have been running a lot then.

the other 2 series were 3 and outs

besides one drive in the 4th, we went away from what was working in the first half. and that's one thing that drove me ape shit bout stubby last year, come out completely dominating, then half way through we stop doing that and just cruise

its like usain bolt flying out to a huge lead over the first 50 meters, then jogging the last 50 and just holding on

When you score 28 points in the 1st half, defenses will make adjustments. Therefore, what worked in the 1st half may not work as well in the 2nd half. Williams is one of the best DC's in the league. Did people think the Packers would hang 60 on them? On one of the 3 and outs, the Packers threw the ball on all 3 downs. On the other, the Rodgers was sacked on 2nd down. The Packers did not stop throwing the ball in the second half. They did try to run it a bit more because the Saints were playing their safeties deep.

Lurker64
09-09-2011, 07:54 PM

He was double-covered on almost every play after the first quarter. It really reduced the number of blitzes that the Saints were able to run.

KYPack
09-09-2011, 08:11 PM
He was double-covered on almost every play after the first quarter. It really reduced the number of blitzes that the Saints were able to run.
Yeah, I noticed that. They tried to play man on top of the blitzes in the first quarter and had to junk all that shit after repeated burns early on. I would love to see some all-22 film on this game.
William went all zone after the early going. He was playing it real soft on the weak side. Arod was climbing all over the soft weak cover when they got it. I remember one 3rd down to Jordy, the corner was singled up with Jordy. At the snap, the cb was steadily retreating.

Finley is a defense changer, no doubt.

It's happening already.

King Friday
09-09-2011, 08:12 PM

I'd love to see what you look like after 90 yards of sprinting...having to accelerate to full speed TWICE in the process. Even the fastest in the game always look run down by the end of a long kickoff return. 100 yards is a hell of a long sprint...that's why world class sprinters look just as athletic as anyone on the planet.

Cobb's top end speed doesn't seem to be elite, but his short bursts of acceleration are pretty impressive.

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 10:09 PM

I was just talking opponent offense versus Packer defense. NO could be the toughest offense they face all year.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2011, 10:15 PM
BTW, I heard Korey Hall was a starter for N.O., didn't see him all night.

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 10:17 PM
BTW, I heard John Hall was a starter for N.O., didn't see him all night.

The quick start almost completely eliminated any hopes the Saints had of pounding it from a standard I formation.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Is that all he is good for?

pbmax
09-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I noticed that. They tried to play man on top of the blitzes in the first quarter and had to junk all that shit after repeated burns early on. I would love to see some all-22 film on this game.
William went all zone after the early going. He was playing it real soft on the weak side. Arod was climbing all over the soft weak cover when they got it. I remember one 3rd down to Jordy, the corner was singled up with Jordy. At the snap, the cb was steadily retreating.

Finley is a defense changer, no doubt.

It's happening already.

That's the sign of a good coordinator. Spent an part of an offseason working on this stuff and when it wasn't working, even before the half, said we need to do something different and did it.

Guys like Williams are proud and stubborn but the good one's can still admit they were wrong. That game was just pure fun from a football perspective. I don't know HOW last year's snooze fest out rated it on TV.

Lurker64
09-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Guys like Williams are proud and stubborn but the good one's can still admit they were wrong. That game was just pure fun from a football perspective. I don't know HOW last year's snooze fest out rated it on TV.

People tuned in to see the Saints beat up the Vikings QB like they had in the NFCCG.

Are you sure last year got better ratings, though?

pbmax
09-09-2011, 11:03 PM
People tuned in to see the Saints beat up the Vikings QB like they had in the NFCCG.

Are you sure last year got better ratings, though?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/129523338.html

Yep. 17.2 nationally for this year, 17.7 for last year. 3rd best total audience in Primetime for the last 15 years, behind Saints-Vikes in 2010 and Packers-Cowboys in 1996.

mission
09-09-2011, 11:09 PM
I heard 60 mil this year and 57 mil last..

gbgary
09-09-2011, 11:30 PM
maybe the team should put a shock collar around his neck and when he starts to get complacent maybe someone like rodgers or kevin green can hit the button and give him a little jolt to wake him back up

yup. took his foot off the gas. needed to pile up first downs and get points but he thought a few minutes off the clock was more important. nearly cost him the game. i was hoping he'd got over that. running the ball should be a change of pace call to keep d's honest, a tool in the right situation, a forth option after pass-short, pass-medium, pass-long. we can't get bogged down trying to run when we have a license to kill in our passing game.

Brandon494
09-09-2011, 11:41 PM
that's one thing that drove me ape shit bout stubby last year, come out completely dominating, then half way through we stop doing that and just cruise

Thats the one thing I cant stand about MM and why I don't think hes a top 5 coach. I mean the no huddle offense was damn near impossible to stop, why go away from that just because we are up? The Pats and Colts don't take their foot off the pedal with Brady and Manning and we shouldn't either with Rodgers especially against the Saints offense.

Fosco33
09-10-2011, 10:03 AM

Only 30M tuned in to watch Obama (his highest ever was ~56M for Bin Laden death announcement).

ThunderDan
09-10-2011, 10:35 AM

like barry sanders

Red, Cobb's momentum and speed were stopped when he did that spinning non-tackle thing. Everyone else on the field was going top speed to catch him and Cobb had to start from zero again.

I would guess Cobb used a heck of a lot more energy not going down on that play and didn't have the "top end" of his speed after 108 yard return.

pbmax
09-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Enough with you amateur car enthusiasts and the fascination with the gas pedal. They Saints went zone and stopped blitzing. Guess what kind of defense tends to slow down the Packers passing game the most?

In fact, the Packers won this game not because of the collection of Hall of Famers in the passing game, but because of their newly average running game. Allow me to explain.

The Saints had solved the Packer defense by the end of the 2nd Quarter. If you remember, the Saints did whatever they wished to with the Packer D in the 3rd Quarter. The only thing that kept the Saints from taking the lead (perhaps even beating the Packers by more than a score) was time and the redzone.

The Saints had adjusted their D and the Packers never fully countered. Not because they are aggressive enough (is there a more aggressive combo in the NFL than M3 and Rodgers?) or are congenitally maladjusted, but because they had FOUR TOTAL DRIVES in the second half on offense (not including the KO touchdown) and 22 total Off. plays. One of those drives was at the end of the game and shortened by the 2 minute warning and Saints timeouts. Another drive or two, or more plays at the end of the game, perhaps the Packers adjust to seeing Gregg Williams run Lovie Smith's defense (not intended to be an actual diagnosis of which zone Gregg was running).

But given enough possessions, the Saints likely would have outscored the Packers in the second half by more than the Packers outscored them in the first. The only thing saving the Packers was the ability to drag a receiver down inside the 20, before the goal line. Because the shortened field in the red zone negated the Saints major advantage and forced them to run on occasion, which they did poorly when the Packers played a conventional front or the HIPPO formation.

But despite coming up lame inside the 20, the Saints still scored 3 TDs, so wishing upon the Red Zone Star wasn't going to win the game by itself. Since the D could not get off the field, McCarthy had to take time off the clock and reduce the number of possessions in the 4th Quarter so it did not match the 3rd.

To do this, on their 2nd to last drive M3 went to the vaunted 4 minute offense. 7 plays and 17 yards later, the offense had taken 5 minutes off the clock and reduced the game to 2 possessions total. They did this by running the ball. 8 plays, 5 runs (24 yards, two first downs) and 2 passes (1 yard and a -8 yd sack). In fact, if Grant had not allowed himself to go out of bounds on his 8 yard run on first and 10, it would have been closer to 6 minutes off the clock and the Saints wouldn't have gotten closer than FG range.

Contrast this with their first offensive drive of the second half. 3 passes, 2 incomplete, 57 seconds off the clock.

When the opposition is more efficient than you, you need to reduce their possessions or they will simply outscore you. He did that and won the game. It wasn't the defense (except perhaps run D) and it wasn't the passing offense, it was 5 runs for 24 yards and two first downs that won the game.

pbmax
09-10-2011, 11:12 AM

The numbers from Bob Wolfley at JSOnline:

Packers-Saints had 27.2 million viewers, making it the second-most watched primetime NFL regular-season game on any network in the last 15 years. Last year's Saints-Minnesota Vikings NFL Kickoff game had 27.5 million viewers. On Nov. 18, 1996, Packers-Dallas Cowboys had 31.5 million viewers on ABC's "Monday Night Football."

red
09-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Enough with you amateur car enthusiasts and the fascination with the gas pedal. They Saints went zone and stopped blitzing. Guess what kind of defense tends to slow down the Packers passing game the most?

In fact, the Packers won this game not because of the collection of Hall of Famers in the passing game, but because of their newly average running game. Allow me to explain.

The Saints had solved the Packer defense by the end of the 2nd Quarter. If you remember, the Saints did whatever they wished to with the Packer D in the 3rd Quarter. The only thing that kept the Saints from taking the lead (perhaps even beating the Packers by more than a score) was time and the redzone.

The Saints had adjusted their D and the Packers never fully countered. Not because they are aggressive enough (is there a more aggressive combo in the NFL than M3 and Rodgers?) or are congenitally maladjusted, but because they had FOUR TOTAL DRIVES in the second half on offense (not including the KO touchdown) and 22 total Off. plays. One of those drives was at the end of the game and shortened by the 2 minute warning and Saints timeouts. Another drive or two, or more plays at the end of the game, perhaps the Packers adjust to seeing Gregg Williams run Lovie Smith's defense (not intended to be an actual diagnosis of which zone Gregg was running).

But given enough possessions, the Saints likely would have outscored the Packers in the second half by more than the Packers outscored them in the first. The only thing saving the Packers was the ability to drag a receiver down inside the 20, before the goal line. Because the shortened field in the red zone negated the Saints major advantage and forced them to run on occasion, which they did poorly when the Packers played a conventional front or the HIPPO formation.

But despite coming up lame inside the 20, the Saints still scored 3 TDs, so wishing upon the Red Zone Star wasn't going to win the game by itself. Since the D could not get off the field, McCarthy had to take time off the clock and reduce the number of possessions in the 4th Quarter so it did not match the 3rd.

To do this, on their 2nd to last drive M3 went to the vaunted 4 minute offense. 7 plays and 17 yards later, the offense had taken 5 minutes off the clock and reduced the game to 2 possessions total. They did this by running the ball. 8 plays, 5 runs (24 yards, two first downs) and 2 passes (1 yard and a -8 yd sack). In fact, if Grant had not allowed himself to go out of bounds on his 8 yard run on first and 10, it would have been closer to 6 minutes off the clock and the Saints wouldn't have gotten closer than FG range.

Contrast this with their first offensive drive of the second half. 3 passes, 2 incomplete, 57 seconds off the clock.

When the opposition is more efficient than you, you need to reduce their possessions or they will simply outscore you. He did that and won the game. It wasn't the defense (except perhaps run D) and it wasn't the passing offense, it was 5 runs for 24 yards and two first downs that won the game.

i'm not reading all that

i'll just assume its all horse shit

Joemailman
09-10-2011, 03:59 PM
i'm not reading all that

i'll just assume its all horse shit

Good call. It's easier than thinking.

gbgary
09-10-2011, 04:20 PM

reduce their possessions by sustaining drives. when they stop blitzing, rodgers has more time to pass. you can eat up more clock by throwing complete passes, staying in bounds, and getting more first downs. you might even get a touchdown at the end of your 14 play 80 yard drive with 6 first downs. running has it's place but the Pack need to keep doing what they do best...what they're built to do.

pbmax
09-10-2011, 07:15 PM
reduce their possessions by sustaining drives. when they stop blitzing, rodgers has more time to pass. you can eat up more clock by throwing complete passes, staying in bounds, and getting more first downs. you might even get a touchdown at the end of your 14 play 80 yard drive with 6 first downs. running has it's place but the Pack need to keep doing what they do best...what they're built to do.

You cannot control all outcomes. Some passes fall incomplete, some players make great plays. Look at two different three and outs:

Green Bay Packers at 2:15, (1st play from scrimmage 2:14)
1-10-NO 43 (2:14) J.Starks right tackle to NO 41 for 2 yards (S.Shanle, S.Rogers).
Timeout #3 by NO at 02:08.
2-8-NO 41 (2:08) J.Starks right end to NO 37 for 4 yards (W.Herring, J.Charleston).
Two-Minute Warning
3-4-NO 37 (2:00) A.Rodgers pass short right to J.Kuhn to NO 37 for no gain (J.Vilma).
Timeout #2 by GB at 01:16.
4-4-NO 37 (1:16) T.Masthay punts 37 yards to end zone, Center-B.Goode, Touchback.

NO got the ball back with 1:08 left, the Packers took 1:06 off the clock while burning NO through 1 TO and the 21 minute warning.

Green Bay Packers at 6:54
1-10-GB 20 (6:54) A.Rodgers pass short middle to J.Kuhn to GB 27 for 7 yards (S.Shanle).
2-3-GB 27 (6:17) A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep right to D.Driver.
3-3-GB 27 (6:12) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right to D.Driver.
4-3-GB 27 (6:07) T.Masthay punts 42 yards to NO 31, Center-B.Goode. D.Sproles to GB 49 for 20 yards (D.Smith).

NO got the ball back at 5:57, Packers cleared 57 seconds off the clock and no timeouts.

bobblehead
09-10-2011, 07:39 PM

This can't be right. A poster I respect named PBmax told me its a passing league now :P J/K.....Its just that I have been saying all along that you don't have to be a dominant runnnig team, but you MUST be able to be effective at it.

pbmax
09-10-2011, 09:12 PM
This can't be right. A poster I respect named PBmax told me its a passing league now :P J/K.....Its just that I have been saying all along that you don't have to be a dominant runnnig team, but you MUST be able to be effective at it.

Though you may note that the time they took off the clock at the end of the game, came without a first down. So effective is good (better, even) but even ineffective can help you win.

I prefer a mix in that 4 minute offense example personally, but only if its high percentage pass stuff. And until the screen game is second nature, that may have to wait.

denverYooper
09-10-2011, 11:36 PM
while burning NO through 1 TO and the 21 minute warning.

Dang. I didn't even know there was a 21 minute warning!

JK jk. I enjoyed the vitiation of the M3 accelerator analogy.

mraynrand
09-11-2011, 06:55 AM

What does this change? You don't score 42 points running the ball. It's a passing league, but yes, if you can run the ball effectively, you're a lot more dangerous. But does that mean NFL teams are looking to draft the great running backs, pay them 100 million, and organize their offenses around them? I think not.

pbmax
09-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Dang. I didn't even know there was a 21 minute warning!

JK jk. I enjoyed the vitiation of the M3 accelerator analogy.

Yeah, that was a typo. I meant M3's 21 minute offense. Which, as you can probably guess, begins at the 9 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. It has its own laminated sheet and Sharpie color.

Fritz
09-11-2011, 11:54 AM
It was a superb analysis, PB.

I keep looking for stuff like that in the JSO or GBPG, but rarely, very rarely, can I find it.

pbmax
09-11-2011, 12:46 PM
It was a superb analysis, PB.

I keep looking for stuff like that in the JSO or GBPG, but rarely, very rarely, can I find it.

Thanks Fritz.