PDA

View Full Version : Sean Payton lost his nerve on Saints’ last chance

woodbuck27
09-09-2011, 06:30 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/09/sean-payton-lost-his-nerve-on-saints-last-chance/

GO PACKERS!

Fritz
09-09-2011, 06:41 AM
I'd have to agree. He made the Packers look like fools earlier on the goal line, when Brees looked left, faked a handoff, then threw right for a TD to Graham, I think.

But I can't fault him too much. If he tries a pass and it doesn't work, he gets criticized for that play call, too. They were only a yard away, etc.

And maybe he wanted to try out his new toy, Mark Ingram.

Guiness
09-09-2011, 07:14 AM
I'd have to agree. He made the Packers look like fools earlier on the goal line, when Brees looked left, faked a handoff, then threw right for a TD to Graham, I think.

But I can't fault him too much. If he tries a pass and it doesn't work, he gets criticized for that play call, too. They were only a yard away, etc.

And maybe he wanted to try out his new toy, Mark Ingram.

I was a little baffled by his running as well.

Brees just brought his team 79 yards in 1:08. Why did he go to the ground? He may have out thought himself.

Deputy Nutz
09-09-2011, 07:25 AM
He ran the football on the goalline. I have hard time saying he lost his nerve. It was mano e' mano and the Packers won.

I personally would have spread it out, and given Brees a pass/draw option.

Packers4Glory
09-09-2011, 08:08 AM
It's easy to 2nd guess when it doesn't work. I think that you have to expect you can score from the 1 on a run, and since they had shown that play action pass earlier that the Pack were ready for that as well. But whatever a guy calls down there, and it fails, you're going to have stupid articles like this that 2nd guess the decision. If they try that play action again and its sniffed out, the author is going to write a story about how they ran inside all game and moved the ball, and how Mark Ingram is a powerful back that he should have used blah blah blah.

mmmdk
09-09-2011, 08:45 AM
With a pass play there's always the thread of PI and that's why I'd pass 9 out of 10 times...guess a run was up! Not a bad call but the reasoning for a run might not hold up as Packers are PI prone.

Lurker64
09-09-2011, 08:45 AM
If he had decided to throw the ball, and it didn't work wouldn't the article be "twice Sean Payton had fourth and 1 deep in the redzone, and twice Payton demonstrated his lack of faith in his running game"? You can second-guess anything that doesn't work, after all.

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Thread title: lost his nerve. The guy who pulled an onside kick in the SB? The guy who went for it on fourth and one down 8 in the third quarter. Not a chance. He lined up behind his best guys and pounded it in there. Sean Payton loses his nerve? LOL.

imscott72
09-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I thought it was a stupid call. How do you now put the ball in your potential MVP QB's hands? Oh well we'll take it..

red
09-09-2011, 09:33 AM
that play never should have happened anyways, that was NOT pass interference on hawk

imscott72
09-09-2011, 09:38 AM
that play never should have happened anyways, that was NOT pass interference on hawk

Yea after seeing that play this morning on ESPN, I'm even more pissed about it. Not even fucking close to PI.

channtheman
09-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Sean Payton knew it wasn't PI and so he called a play that most likely wouldn't work. He knew we deserved the win. :P

ThunderDan
09-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Sean Payton knew it wasn't PI and so he called a play that most likely wouldn't work. He knew we deserved the win. :P

I am not sure but I love the logic behind your post! :tup:

RashanGary
09-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Reminds me a lot of McCarthy. Maybe the two best playcallers in the NFL. They're aggressors. Payton believed his guys were better than ours. It's the end of the 4th quarter. He has a RB with a nose for that last yard. He has two probowl guards. He wanted to shove it down our throats. That was the man call. That was the F-U punch in the face.

We sold out for the run. Raji and Picket cut them at the legs. He LBs went just over the falling lineman and teh DB's dove high to nail Ingrim if he tried to jump. We sold out 100% run. We were right. We won.

Peyton didn't turn into a coward though. He had aggression running through his veins, just like he did all game. Anything less than 100% sellout and the Saints score. He went all in with Cowboys preflop and watched his opponent turn rockets. Once the cards started falling he had maybe a 15% chance to hit his lucky king.

denverYooper
09-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Reminds me a lot of McCarthy. Maybe the two best playcallers in the NFL. They're aggressors. Payton believed his guys were better than ours. It's the end of the 4th quarter. He has a RB with a nose for that last yard. He has two probowl guards. He wanted to shove it down our throats. That was the man call. That was the F-U punch in the face.

We sold out for the run. Raji and Picket cut them at the legs. He LBs went just over the falling lineman and teh DB's dove high to nail Ingrim if he tried to jump. We sold out 100% run. We were right. We won.

Peyton didn't turn into a coward though. He had aggression running through his veins, just like he did all game. Anything less than 100% sellout and the Saints score. He went all in with Cowboys preflop and watched his opponent turn rockets. Once the cards started falling he had maybe a 15% chance to hit his lucky king.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nyidEcC-56U/TkN2JWaq06I/AAAAAAAAEI8/F7M9EuyAxus/s320/jules.jpg

EXACTAMUNDO!