PDA

View Full Version : Manning got his new deal without having to pass a physical

woodbuck27
09-09-2011, 06:37 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/manning-got-his-new-deal-without-having-to-pass-a-physical/

Posted by Mike Florio on September 8, 2011, 10:15 PM EDT

As the football-following world processes the news that Colts quarterback Peyton Manning will miss considerable time after undergoing spinal surgery on Thursday, only one thing is clear.

Peyton Manning will get paid a ton of money, even if he doesn’t take a single snap this year.

Per a league source, that new five-year, $90 million contract was given to Manning without the quarterback having to pass a physical. In other words, he got $20 million to sign, and the Colts didn’t insist on obtaining medical clearance that he can play before giving it to him. (He eventually passed a physical before being cleared to practice last week — before suffering the setback that caused the latest procedure.)

Hit LINK for the entire story.

Go PACK GO !

Fritz
09-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Well, that's the NFL today. QB's have been the most important players on the field since the 1950's, but it's a star-driven league now, so no wonder Manning got a ton of money without having to pass a physical. Maybe he'd have been insulted if they'd asked.

red
09-09-2011, 02:04 PM
he's also due something like 20 some million in bonus money early next year. so the colts might have to give him another huge chunk of money before knowing if he can play again

i find the whole thing pretty funny, as long as its not us

MJZiggy
09-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Maybe this will teach teams not to do that...

Fritz
09-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Not Daniel Snyder....but wait, has a Snyder-owned team drafted a guy good enough to warrant consideration for such a contract?

gbgary
09-09-2011, 06:49 PM
to me if i didn't earn it i wouldn't take it. if this is a career ender he should just retire and let the colts off the hook. he's already rich and won't miss it.

Fritz
09-09-2011, 06:59 PM
But he could set up the Mannings as a football machine, pumping out little Manning-machine quarterbacks for years and years. He needs the money for the dynasty.

Personally, my favorite Manning was Archie. Specially watching him play at Ol' Miss.

MJZiggy
09-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Maybe the Colts would give him $20 million to be a goodwill ambassador for the team.