PDA

View Full Version : james jones may now be on trade block

red
09-09-2011, 12:02 PM
from silversteins blog

What in the world did James Jones do to be so buried on the depth chart? I might be a hypocrite for asking since I'm the one who wrote on this blog that the Packers didn't need to re-sign Jones because Jordy Nelson was going to emerge as a starter after his big post-season. Nelson was very good, hauling in six catches for 77 yards and a touchdown and deserved to stay on the field. He had eight passes targeted at him. Jones, meanwhile, had just one pass targeted and caught it for a 1-yard gain. It's possible Jones' knee wasn't back to full strength after missing all of the previous week with a bruised knee. But given the way Randall Cobb played (2 catches for 35 yards and a touchdown), I see Jones on the trading block fairly soon.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2011, 12:07 PM
I'd give the guy a break.

It's possible Jones' knee wasn't back to full strength after missing all of the previous week with a bruised knee

Upnorth
09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
I'd give the guy a break.

Why do you want to break Jones Knee? Still angry about SB dropped passes?

red
09-09-2011, 12:14 PM
i don't know, jones has been MIA all preseason

is jones even #4 on the depth chart right now? cobb has a ton of talent, and mcarthy knows it

pbmax
09-09-2011, 12:23 PM
James Jones played 20 snaps, Cobb 7 and DJ Williams 9.

Rodgers has just been going elsewhere. Also, Jones missed a week of a shortened camp as a FA, had an injury and missed one preseason game plus part of another.

It'll take sometime for them to hookup again like last year, but it will likely happen.

https://twitter.com/#!/BrianCarriveau/status/112182979501101056

denverYooper
09-09-2011, 12:26 PM

is jones even #4 on the depth chart right now? cobb has a ton of talent, and mcarthy knows it

And now 28 million other people know it.

denverYooper
09-09-2011, 12:26 PM
It'll take sometime for them to hookup again like last year, but it will likely happen.

Reminds me of summer camp.

Brandon494
09-09-2011, 12:27 PM
With all the weapons we have guys are going to have games where they don't put up big numbers. JJ was that guy last night but no need to overract after only one game.

Upnorth
09-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Jones will still make is presense known this year. There were a few games last year where nelson would disappear and jones play big. That is a good thing to keep opposing d's off balance.

pbmax
09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Reminds me of summer camp.

Weren't you the bass player who was concerned about the number of toms?

If so, does that mean this was Band Camp?

red
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Rodgers has just been going elsewhere. Also, Jones missed a week of a shortened camp as a FA, had an injury and missed one preseason game plus part of another.

i'm really shocked jones played that many snaps

with all the weapons we do have, do we really need him though? i'd be all for it if we could get a player in return to add some depth maybe on the d

i'm not saying, just cut the guy for no reason

denverYooper
09-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Weren't you the bass player who was concerned about the number of toms?

If so, does that mean this was Band Camp?

Church camp. It always took a few days in the woods without parents and a game of spin the bottle for Lutherans to get around to dissolving the guilt that girds teenage loins. Like clockwork, by Thursday nights the place would be like a dancehall on the night before soldiers head off to fight the Axis alliance.

Brandon494
09-09-2011, 12:51 PM
TT is always two steps ahead. JJ is not going anywhere because either Driver or Nelson will not be with the team next year.

Lurker64
09-09-2011, 12:52 PM
It's entirely likely Rodgers is never looking his way because he's never open, and he's never open because of the knee. If this is the case this means either that other teams will be wary of his knee, or that he'll recover in time.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2011, 12:54 PM
jeez, some WR is gonna get injured before season is done. They got Jones for a reasonable price - why ship him away?

Maybe, maybe if some team has a good backup guard to trade would this make sense.

Packers4Glory
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM

of course he is. Cobb still doesn't even know the play book. They didn't bring him back to be the 5th WR. Jones will have big games. Just like last yr him and Jordy will have their good games while the other is just a shadow.

VegasPackFan
09-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Funny thing is that this is what the Saints do week to week. One week it is Meacham, next week it is Henderson, the following it is Moore. That's what happens when you just have so many weapons. You take what the D gives you and that means someone gets left out each week.

channtheman
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
With all the weapons we have guys are going to have games where they don't put up big numbers. JJ was that guy last night but no need to overract after only one game.

This. There are only so many times any one guy can be targeted in a game, and if someone else is having a better game, than Rodgers knows that and gets the ball to him more.

KYPack
09-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Red, I just went nuts on a very lame post in another thread.

So first, I guess I should thank ya again for getting me into that fantasy league.

Secondly, there ain't no trading block. It went the way of the one horse shay and the elevator operator. It's gone, especially during the season.

Third, there is only one ball used during any NFL game. Arod knows this & tries to distribute the pill. That isn't always possible to do, but it will get done. Wait 'til the guy has a bad game before you consign him to hell. He'll help us, TT told me so.

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Secondly, there ain't no trading block. It went the way of the one horse shay and the elevator operator.

You know what is a really fun gag to pull? Dress up in a tux and go downtown to a Hilton or a Sheraton and pose as an elevator operator. You wouldn't believe how many people you can fool - even the people who work there sometimes can't figure it out!

Spaulding
09-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Barring an injury to some team's WR corp, who'd trade for Jones when they could have had him in FA for free? Nice to have the depth given the number of 3 WR sets we run, we're only an injury away from being thin. Thank goodness West made it through waivers to the practice squad.

Fritz
09-09-2011, 04:09 PM
What surprises me is that he played twenty snaps. I didn't really even see him on the field except the once when he caught a pass. Maybe my attention was focused on the TE's lining up inside.

It did seem weird, though. Just plain weird.

pbmax
09-09-2011, 04:16 PM
You know what is a really fun gag to pull? Dress up in a tux and go downtown to a Hilton or a Sheraton and pose as an elevator operator. You wouldn't believe how many people you can fool - even the people who work there sometimes can't figure it out!

Did you collect any tips?

red
09-09-2011, 04:19 PM
It's entirely likely Rodgers is never looking his way because he's never open, and he's never open because of the knee. If this is the case this means either that other teams will be wary of his knee, or that he'll recover in time.

or maybe rodgers isn't looking his way because he's sick of having perfectly thrown balls that should be touchdowns dropped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcThZvj1Iy0

red
09-09-2011, 04:23 PM
hey guys, read the first post again. its not me saying jones could be on the trading block. its silverstein saying that, i just agree with him

if we didn't have 2 guys on the practise squad with real nice potential then i wouldn't even think twice about keeping jones

pbmax
09-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Silverstein is having an up and down start to the season. He wrote a very good article on McCarthy's offense, a blend of system and matchups. But then he gets carried away with this.

He needs more consistency to be considered a Pro Bowl caliber writer.

Smidgeon
09-09-2011, 05:33 PM

I'm surprised it was that many snaps too. I guess he just wasn't as open when he was in...

My previous theory was that Bennett was working on his catching and keeping him out early to make a point, but that's idle speculation.

Fritz
09-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Silverstein is having an up and down start to the season. He wrote a very good article on McCarthy's offense, a blend of system and matchups. But then he gets carried away with this.

Agreed. We've got to be able to count on him to perform at a high level, week in and week out.

KYPack
09-09-2011, 08:05 PM

Yer right, PB. That was a helluva article. I now realize Silverstein got a lot of help on that and probably cribbed a lot it from the coaches.

He is basically a hack. Now he's a lot better than Lori "I don't know shit about football & can't write worth a plugged" Nickel, but that ain't saying much.

Red, I thought you were insane to say that about Jones, but yer right, Silverstein and a lot of internet hacks were saying just that.

They are dumb fuckers, but Red is OK.

King Friday
09-09-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't mind trading Jones if we can get something decent in return for him, which is probably unlikely. With West and Gurley on the PS, we are extremely deep at WR. Honestly, I think West or Gurley would be just as impactful as Jones if they were inserted into the lineup. Any WR with an ounce of talent can make plays in this offense given the playmaker tossing the ball around. Cobb can't even run routes correctly, and he still scores a 30 yard TD.

rbaloha1
09-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Agree about AR not targeting JJ since others wr were open (check-out the stats).

Two observations:

JJ appears bigger and slower.

JJ may have some confidence issues.

Expect a huge bounce back once teams attempt to takeaway Finley and Jennings.

King Friday
09-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Expect a huge bounce back once teams attempt to takeaway Finley and Jennings.

Well...I don't see how defenses can just take away Jennings and Finley without letting Driver, Cobb and Nelson suddenly look like All-Pros. Rodgers is too good for teams to try to take away multiple receivers...because that is going to leave a lot of 1 on 1 coverage elsewhere.

I think the confidence issue point is the most pertinent. This is a guy who used to believe he was a starting caliber WR...then he dropped all kinds of catchable balls in the playoffs, and got ZERO interest on the free agent market from 31 other NFL teams. Jones probably doesn't have a lot of self confidence at the moment, and I'm sure it impacts his play to some extent.

gbgary
09-09-2011, 11:01 PM
he's not 100% yet. he'll make plays once he is. i wouldn't trade him unless it's for a dl.

Tony Oday
09-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I wont lie i thought we needed Jones but with Cobb being Percy Harvin without the weak brain and teams TRIPLE covering Finley in the red zone we dont need Jones.

Upnorth
09-10-2011, 12:56 PM
We are lucky to have the WR we have, I don't think there is a team in the league with our talent top to bottom, especially if you include TE. Why would the team want to reduce that advantage? Our weakness' are depth of O and D line, and we still have some talent there. To me trading him away for D or O line support would be a step back.
I may have to much faith in our backups, but I dont think that is the case.

KalamazooPackerFan
09-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Hesitating to offfer my opinion having been a long, long time lurker but I don't see TT making a trade of anybody who can step in and play as well as Jones can. Even if the law of averages says we won't have as many injuries as last year, someone is bound to go down for at least a few games. I don't much care for Jones, those drops just kill me, but an early season trade doesn't seem like TT's MO.

MJZiggy
09-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Good point Kalamazoo. There's also the fact that no one would trade for him right now. He can be put on the highest trading block there is, but he was just a free agent a couple weeks ago. No one wanted him for free then, and no one's going to give something up for him now. (in other words he'll be gone by next Thursday just so Providence can prove me wrong.)

pbmax
09-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Hesitating to offfer my opinion having been a long, long time lurker but I don't see TT making a trade of anybody who can step in and play as well as Jones can. Even if the law of averages says we won't have as many injuries as last year, someone is bound to go down for at least a few games. I don't much care for Jones, those drops just kill me, but an early season trade doesn't seem like TT's MO.

Welcome to the nuthouse, good to see you post.

And you are right, Silverstein is off his rocker with only one week of evidence.

red
09-10-2011, 11:02 PM

hmmm, k-zoo huh?

way to stick up for your teammate and buddy........GREG JENNINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WMU represent!!!!

Smeefers
09-11-2011, 05:35 PM

The coolest part about this site is how everyone is so nice to you right off the back, but in no time they'll be calling you a no talent worthless hack because you think Frank Zombo is a better OLB than Walden. None-the-less, welcome on.

So I think Jones is a pretty solid player. I think Jordy solidified his number 3 status with his super bowl play and unless Cobb has some unatural progression, Jones will stay the number 4. Everyone has down weeks. The cat is too good to be ignored for too long.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-11-2011, 06:30 PM
TT is always two steps ahead. JJ is not going anywhere because either Driver or Nelson will not be with the team next year.

I'd rather have Jordy over JJ. He's definitely the more consistent of the two. He might even be more athletic.

pbmax
09-11-2011, 06:40 PM
The coolest part about this site is how everyone is so nice to you right off the back, but in no time they'll be calling you a no talent worthless hack because you think Frank Zombo is a better OLB than Walden.

It's not our fault you are dead wrong. :D

Upnorth
09-11-2011, 06:46 PM
The coolest part about this site is how everyone is so nice to you right off the back, but in no time they'll be calling you a no talent worthless hack because you think Frank Zombo is a better OLB than Walden. None-the-less, welcome on.

So I think Jones is a pretty solid player. I think Jordy solidified his number 3 status with his super bowl play and unless Cobb has some unatural progression, Jones will stay the number 4. Everyone has down weeks. The cat is too good to be ignored for too long.

It is pretty cool isn't it.
Zombo better than WALDEN??? F'n hack!
It is addictive behavior as well.

bobblehead
09-11-2011, 06:56 PM
or maybe rodgers isn't looking his way because he's sick of having perfectly thrown balls that should be touchdowns dropped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcThZvj1Iy0

Yep, thats why Rodgers lobbied to get him back.

As to your next post about our guys on the practice squad.....any team can sign them any time they want, so why trade for jones if they are just as good?

bobblehead
09-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm surprised it was that many snaps too. I guess he just wasn't as open when he was in...

My previous theory was that Bennett was working on his catching and keeping him out early to make a point, but that's idle speculation.

You (and everyone else that posted this) can't automatically assume he wasn't open. Its very possible he was wide open 10 times, but was the third option on the play and someone else was open as well.

rbaloha1
09-11-2011, 07:31 PM
It would be nice if someone offered a trade. Unsure of JJ's trade value given the contract.

Brandon494
09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd rather have Jordy over JJ. He's definitely the more consistent of the two. He might even be more athletic.

I think Nelson is the better WR also but not by much. Jordy is just an inconsistent as Jones but people like to forget about his drops because they aren't for big plays like Nelson.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I think Nelson is the better WR also but not by much. Jordy is just an inconsistent as Jones but people like to forget about his drops because they aren't for big plays like Nelson.

Don't get me wrong, they are both good assets to have, but if the JJ signing makes Jordy expendable in the eyes of the front office that would be a bad mistake.

3irty1
09-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Ha, you guys. There are only so many balls to be caught and I don't know if you've noticed, but someone has caught one on nearly every passing play. The offense is hitting on all cylinders right now, Jones is on a field full of other weapons. Just because Rodgers is moving the ball effectively with other guys doesn't mean there is something wrong with Jones. Hell Finley only had 50 some yards, despite being a featured part of the offense... is his star fading as well?

Also we all know how the McCarthy offense works by now. It changes drastically three or four times a season. Last year at this time we'd go whole drives with 3 TE's and Jordy Nelson on the field, it wasn't considered an insult to Jennings. Jones will have his yards by seasons end. He's a player.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Nelson was as inconsistent catching the ball last year as Jones, but the prior two years Nelson had a much lower drop rate. I tend to think of it as a bad year. We've been arguing about Jones' hands for several years (he makes tough catches but then drops the easy ones), so it's been a problem for a lot longer. Nelson also looks noticeably more athletic than Jones this year. I think Nelson is starting to fully realize his potential--while Jones might have maxed his out. I've always thought Nelson had more upside, and I think that even more so now. Of course, I'm willing to give Jones a break because he's dealing with an injury.

vince
09-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Randall Cobb will have some games where he's not a major part of the offense too I'd expect, but generally, with every game played it will become more obvious than it already is that James Jones - injury or not - is the #5 receiver on this team. Cobb is faster, more athletic, has better hands, is way more dynamic in space, and just about everything else you want to say about a receiver's skillset except height and weight. The only other thing he doesn't have on Jones is experience, but he also spews desire, determination, dedication, and coachability, so it'll be a short time before Cobb has the offense figured out.

There's nothing wrong with James Jones except what we already know about him. He's an average NFL receiver. Randall Cobb is a special player who is only going to get better, health permitting.

#5 receivers don't get a ton of opportunities overall. They may get more in Green Bay than anywhere else, but even at that the Packers soon won't want to give the ball to James Jones when you have the opportunity to get it to someone more reliable and explosive. I doubt if they will trade him (I'm not sure there's a trade partner out there.) because he's good insurance against injury to Nelson, but I hope he's not sulking about not getting opportunities while Nelson and Cobb are getting better. That'll only set him back even further.

bobblehead
09-12-2011, 08:39 AM
If someone is motivated, they can dig up the thread(s) where people were questioning Jennings last year due to his lack of early productivity.

3irty1
09-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Jones is a different mold than the other guys on this team. Jones doesn't have the straight-line speed to be a consistent deep threat like Jennings or Jordy. But even though he's smaller than Jordy he plays much bigger. When was the last time you saw Jordy go up and get one? Also Jones is crazy slippery for his size. He was often the target of WR screens and such last year because of his ability to make people miss. Jordy is a better blocker, and a half-decent deep threat but I think the superiority stops there.

pbmax
09-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Jones is a different mold than the other guys on this team. Jones doesn't have the straight-line speed to be a consistent deep threat like Jennings or Jordy. But even though he's smaller than Jordy he plays much bigger. When was the last time you saw Jordy go up and get one? Also Jones is crazy slippery for his size. He was often the target of WR screens and such last year because of his ability to make people miss. Jordy is a better blocker, and a half-decent deep threat but I think the superiority stops there.

I don't know about that 3irty1, Jones gets a step deep more often versus DBs than Jordy. But Jordy does seem to be more open (better route? where Rodgers expects him?) in the recent past and thus a pass to him is much less of adventure against coverage than it used to be.

rbaloha1
09-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't know about that 3irty1, Jones gets a step deep more often versus DBs than Jordy. But Jordy does seem to be more open (better route? where Rodgers expects him?) in the recent past and thus a pass to him is much less of adventure against coverage than it used to be.

Jordy is sneaky fast. Surprises the brother dbs. Good route runner with instincts.

JJ is a slight concern but expect a bounce back. If this conversation is relevant in week 8 then its a problem.

Bossman641
09-12-2011, 10:57 AM
it was one week. Last year at this time people were ready to run Hawk out of town after he played a handful of snaps against the Eagles. If he's still only getting 1 target/game a quarter of the way into the season then I will be concerned.

Smidgeon
09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Randall Cobb will have some games where he's not a major part of the offense too I'd expect, but generally, with every game played it will become more obvious than it already is that James Jones - injury or not - is the #5 receiver on this team. Cobb is faster, more athletic, has better hands, is way more dynamic in space, and just about everything else you want to say about a receiver's skillset except height and weight. The only other thing he doesn't have on Jones is experience, but he also spews desire, determination, dedication, and coachability, so it'll be a short time before Cobb has the offense figured out.

There's nothing wrong with James Jones except what we already know about him. He's an average NFL receiver. Randall Cobb is a special player who is only going to get better, health permitting.

#5 receivers don't get a ton of opportunities overall. They may get more in Green Bay than anywhere else, but even at that the Packers soon won't want to give the ball to James Jones when you have the opportunity to get it to someone more reliable and explosive. I doubt if they will trade him (I'm not sure there's a trade partner out there.) because he's good insurance against injury to Nelson, but I hope he's not sulking about not getting opportunities while Nelson and Cobb are getting better. That'll only set him back even further.

Cobb also doesn't have Jones' strength and size.

Upnorth
09-12-2011, 12:01 PM

I have always liked Jones playing speed. I have no clue what his 40 is, but he plays fast, and that seems to be one of his big strenghts. If his concentration goes up he could be a big play machine, and big plays break a defence.
I think that in a few games this year Jones will be our #1 or #2 option, but that also goes for driver and nelson. They each have a role and MM will expoit other D's with our various WR's as he see's fit.

vince
09-12-2011, 12:30 PM
it was one week. Last year at this time people were ready to run Hawk out of town after he played a handful of snaps against the Eagles. If he's still only getting 1 target/game a quarter of the way into the season then I will be concerned.
I don't understand what there is to be concerned about. The Packers offensive weaponry has never been better.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I get squeemish when a black athlete is "placed on the trading block"

not being funny or critical, its just a connection that pops in my head

red
09-12-2011, 12:48 PM

wouldn't that be more of an auction block you're thinking of?

3irty1
09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Jordy runs a mean go route that you almost never see Jones run. In a footrace between all of our WR I'd take Jones to place last. The guy gets good separation by exploding out of his cuts but you never see him run away from someone the way Jordy can and did on Thursday. I see Jones in an Anquan Boldin. Jordy is like a Miles Austin mold I'd say.

vince
09-12-2011, 01:40 PM
While I stand by what I said about Jones relative to the rest of the Packer weapons above, I think there's a good chance he at least gets a score this week in Carolina. Rodgers will want to get him involved and the Panther defensive backfield is not good.

swede
09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
wouldn't that be more of an auction block you're thinking of?

No he just doesn't like them on HIS block.

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I bet anyone who picked James Jones in Fantasy Football has him on the trading block

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Get over it. We're not talking about Kunta Kinte here.

sharpe1027
09-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I bet anyone who picked James Jones in Fantasy Football has him on the trading block

Doubtful, they have probably already dropped him and picked up another WR.

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Doubtful, they have probably already dropped him and picked up another WR.

I was just spitballing. I don't play that fantasy crap, so I don't even know exactly how it works. Just figuring people would drop him as quickly as Jones drops easy TD passes. :lo:

sharpe1027
09-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I was just spitballing. I don't play that fantasy crap, so I don't even know exactly how it works. Just figuring people would drop him as quickly as Jones drops easy TD passes. :lo:

Haha, no worries. I didn't take your statement literally and I only meant to pile-on to your post. I probably should have added a :) to the end of my post!

pbmax
09-12-2011, 04:49 PM
I cannot believe this thread is still going.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Cobb also doesn't have Jones' strength and size.

You raise a valid point. Also, I'm interested to see if Cobb will be able to stay healthy this year. He was bit by the injury bug quite often during his collegiate career.

3irty1
09-12-2011, 07:54 PM

KalamazooPackerFan
09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
hmmm, k-zoo huh?

way to stick up for your teammate and buddy........GREG JENNINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WMU represent!!!!

No WMU for me.....representing K-Central though his other Kalamazoo alma mater. Good to see a hometown guy do well [U]and [U] be a class act.

Fritz
09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
James complained in the media today. Resurect the thread!

MadScientist
09-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Meaning the media shoved the question in his face and his best attempt to be diplomatic without lying that he wants to be in there more was enough for the reporter to use quotes to stir the pot.

RashanGary
09-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Nelson was as inconsistent catching the ball last year as Jones, but the prior two years Nelson had a much lower drop rate. I tend to think of it as a bad year. We've been arguing about Jones' hands for several years (he makes tough catches but then drops the easy ones), so it's been a problem for a lot longer. Nelson also looks noticeably more athletic than Jones this year. I think Nelson is starting to fully realize his potential--while Jones might have maxed his out. I've always thought Nelson had more upside, and I think that even more so now. Of course, I'm willing to give Jones a break because he's dealing with an injury.

Good call. Nelson looks better and Jones actually looks worse.

smuggler
09-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Jones is an amazing 4th/5th WR. There is no way we trade him, unless the deal is clearly slanted in our favor.

Little Whiskey
09-14-2011, 09:43 PM
No WMU for me.....representing K-Central though his other Kalamazoo alma mater. Good to see a hometown guy do well [U]and [U] be a class act.

welcome to the rats Kzoo.....officially. its nice to have some long time lurkers start posting. the site needs it!

red
09-15-2011, 09:00 AM

i read what he said, and even though i'm not the guys biggest fan, i really don't see anything wrong with what he said

sure he said he wanted to play more, but he said it in about the best possible way