PDA

View Full Version : This team really misses...

Brando19
09-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Cullen Jenkins. Last night really proved it. Raji was the only one putting pressure on Brees from the defensive line. With Clay being double teamed on most plays...we need someone to step up and get pressure on the QB. I'm just not sure that guy is on this team.

red
09-09-2011, 02:01 PM
will you still be taking that same position when jenkins gets injured in a week or two?

jenkins is good, but he's almost being held up to reggie status these days, not by you brando, the national media

i liked the guy too, but he's never even had more then 7 sacks in a season

jenkins is no white, he can be replaced

Lurker64
09-09-2011, 02:03 PM
From where I stand, Jarius Wynn played just as well last night as Jenkins did in an average game for him. He may have actually played better than Jenkins recently on an average night, since he played the run very well.

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 02:03 PM
you kinda missed Wynn, didn't cha. I suspect the pass rushers got a little gassed towards the end. But yeah, need some more inside pressure. But that's a pretty solid O-line over there in NO. I remember how good Corey Williams looked against Detroit and then the next week...pfffft!

red
09-09-2011, 02:06 PM
i really can't fault the d-line for not getting any pressure. most of the night we only used 2 down linemen, with no blitz

you guys expecting 2 d-linemen going up against 6 or 7 blockers to get pressure?

cheesner
09-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I doubt TT or anyone in Packer management regrets not resigning Jenkins after the Saints game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2011, 02:12 PM
I think Jarius Wynn got pressure. The Saints are a hard team to pressure. I'm not sure Jenkins would have solved our problems last night.

How much pressure did Jenkins provide in our last two games against the Saints (when we were carved up)?

I looked it up. He was injured in the last game we played them (51-29 loss), and he got 2 tackles and 0 sacks in the other game (34-27 loss)--in a game where Brees threw for 350+ yards.

And let's hope Mike Neal plays most of the year.

Tony Oday
09-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Reggie White wouldnt have helped last night, seemed like Brees was taking 2 seconds to throw.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
With Jenkins, 51-29 loss and 34-27 loss. (Average: 42.5 points/game given up; 28 points scored.)

Without Jenkins, 42-34 win. We are better off without him.
:)

Packers4Glory
09-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Neal will be a beast.

Farley Face
09-09-2011, 02:30 PM
+1 to Lurk's comment.

KYPack
09-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Jesus H Christ, Brando.

Are you shittin' me?

Wynn has the game of his life and you are cryin' that we lost Jenkins?

Cullen was a tough player and all, when he got on the field.

Wynn starts coming into his own and you cry about the loss of Jenkins. Give the kid his due. He had a great ballgame last nite and seriously did his job. Sometimes, I don't think people actually watch the game. They just go with their pre-concieved notions. This is one of those instances. You should have waited 'til Wynn had a bad game or a DE cost us a game or something. In this case, a young guy came up big for us and you want to give him no credit.

packers11
09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
This team really misses another OLB that can rush the passer to compliment Matthews... When they rushed 4 last night, they did 1-1 to the other side of matthews and 2-3 people chipping/blocking matthews. It was pathetic

sheepshead
09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I thought this would turn into a Mike Wahle thread. Thank you.

Brando19
09-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Jesus H Christ, Brando.

Are you shittin' me?

Wynn has the game of his life and you are cryin' that we lost Jenkins?

Cullen was a tough player and all, when he got on the field.

Wynn starts coming into his own and you cry about the loss of Jenkins. Give the kid his due. He had a great ballgame last nite and seriously did his job. Sometimes, I don't think people actually watch the game. They just go with their pre-concieved notions. This is one of those instances. You should have waited 'til Wynn had a bad game or a DE cost us a game or something. In this case, a young guy came up big for us and you want to give him no credit.

Whoa, dude...calm the fuck down. Wynn didn't have a bad game (yes, I watched the game and taped it), but he was no Cullen Jenkins while rushing. I know Cullen never could stay healthy, but I really wish we would have kept him and rotated Jenkins and Wynn. On alot of plays, Brees had the ball out before you knew it, but I watched several plays in which there wasn't anyone rushing the QB. That's where we miss Jenkins.

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 03:19 PM
It's good to see we can find some controversy to fight about after a win. I was worried it might be all sunshine and fuzzy puppies in here today.

Pugger
09-09-2011, 03:40 PM
This team really misses another OLB that can rush the passer to compliment Matthews... When they rushed 4 last night, they did 1-1 to the other side of matthews and 2-3 people chipping/blocking matthews. It was pathetic

+1

SkinBasket
09-09-2011, 03:41 PM
... cock.

Bossman641
09-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Wynn really surprised me. He provided run D that I did not think he was capable of at all.

retailguy
09-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Whoa, dude...calm the fuck down. Wynn didn't have a bad game (yes, I watched the game and taped it), but he was no Cullen Jenkins while rushing. I know Cullen never could stay healthy, but I really wish we would have kept him and rotated Jenkins and Wynn. On alot of plays, Brees had the ball out before you knew it, but I watched several plays in which there wasn't anyone rushing the QB. That's where we miss Jenkins.

Nah. These types of things are over-rated. Raji is a beast BECAUSE he's on the field 80% of the time. Same with Pickett. We have a rotation and it's adequate. Jenkins has taken up a lot of roster spots while injured. Let's give someone else a try that might be available more often. Letting him go was the right move at the right time. (And I'm an old softie for Veteran Packer players, don't forget that).

Wynn played well. So did Lang, and even Walden came around towards the end of the game.

retailguy
09-09-2011, 03:50 PM
It's good to see we can find some controversy to fight about after a win. I was worried it might be all sunshine and fuzzy puppies in here today.

did you see the cute jack russell in the romper room?

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2011, 03:52 PM
There are some concerns with the defense, but I think we'll be okay. We'll take a step back, but maybe the improvements on offense and in the return game will more than offset them.

Concerns on defense:

1) Getting and keeping Mike Neal healthy. That goes for Raji also. He's close to irreplaceable for us.
2) Finding a ROLB that can provide enough pass rush to help Matthews. I'm hopeful that Zombo can help. I like Walden, but I think a combo platter of Walden + Zombo is better.
3) Getting Sam Shields back to the level he played at last year. This defense really needs those two really good cover corners to allow Woodson to freelance.

Concerns on offense (I only see two):

1) Keeping Aaron Rodgers upright.
2) Depth on the OL.

Concerns on special teams:

1) It's still the coverage teams.

Pugger
09-09-2011, 04:03 PM
When should Zombo return?

red
09-09-2011, 04:14 PM

FUCK YOU

pbmax
09-09-2011, 04:35 PM
When should Zombo return?

Shortest time mentioned that was typical was 4 weeks I think. He broke it and dropped out of practice just after preseason game 3. So its been, what two weeks? Earliest would be game 3 I think.

Fritz
09-09-2011, 04:48 PM

I knew Jack Kennedy...and you're no Jack Kennedy

KYPack
09-09-2011, 05:01 PM

I'm calm. I thought the premise of this thread was lame. Or presumptuous. Or something. You watched the ballgame, so you know. Wynn replaced Cullen on the field, Neal replaced him on the inactive due to injury list.

We didn't miss that guy even a little bit.

mission
09-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I thought this was another Favre thread.

Fritz
09-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I was wondering who would be the first to ask if "Brent Favre" was the answer being sought.

gbgary
09-09-2011, 06:54 PM
it's one game against one of the most explosive o's in the league. too early to know if we miss him or not.

Brando19
09-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Nah. These types of things are over-rated. Raji is a beast BECAUSE he's on the field 80% of the time. Same with Pickett. We have a rotation and it's adequate. Jenkins has taken up a lot of roster spots while injured. Let's give someone else a try that might be available more often. Letting him go was the right move at the right time. (And I'm an old softie for Veteran Packer players, don't forget that).

Wynn played well. So did Lang, and even Walden came around towards the end of the game.

Good argument, Retail. This is the right way to disagree with someone.

Brando19
09-09-2011, 10:10 PM
will you still be taking that same position when jenkins gets injured in a week or two?

jenkins is good, but he's almost being held up to reggie status these days, not by you brando, the national media

i liked the guy too, but he's never even had more then 7 sacks in a season

Good point, Red. Jenkins was definitely no Reggie. I guess I just expected Wynn to push guys back into Brees and I overlooked his run stopping ability.

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 10:14 PM

FUCK YOU

http://fourlegfriend.net/wp-content/uploads/pup5.jpg

mraynrand
09-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Trying to get rid of the black man=racist

Smeefers
09-11-2011, 05:43 PM
There are some concerns with the defense, but I think we'll be okay. We'll take a step back, but maybe the improvements on offense and in the return game will more than offset them.

Concerns on defense:

1) Getting and keeping Mike Neal healthy. That goes for Raji also. He's close to irreplaceable for us.
2) Finding a ROLB that can provide enough pass rush to help Matthews. I'm hopeful that Zombo can help. I like Walden, but I think a combo platter of Walden + Zombo is better.
3) Getting Sam Shields back to the level he played at last year. This defense really needs those two really good cover corners to allow Woodson to freelance.

Concerns on offense (I only see two):

1) Keeping Aaron Rodgers upright.
2) Depth on the OL.

Concerns on special teams:

1) It's still the coverage teams.

I think that So'oto character has a good chance to break the starting line. If he keeps up the level of play from that last pre season game, he has a chance to move up the ranks a-la Sammy Shields. I don't know anyone here who thinks Walden is the answer there.

I think Shields was just targeted more last night, which exposed his youth a bit. Our defense had 3 almost interecptions last night. If we get one or two of them, we're no longer worried about freeing up Woodson.

Upnorth
09-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I think that So'oto character has a good chance to break the starting line. If he keeps up the level of play from that last pre season game, he has a chance to move up the ranks a-la Sammy Shields. I don't know anyone here who thinks Walden is the answer there.

I think Shields was just targeted more last night, which exposed his youth a bit. Our defense had 3 almost interecptions last night. If we get one or two of them, we're no longer worried about freeing up Woodson.

I hope So'oto is able to put quality pressure opposite CMIII, but until he's healthy Walden does okay. He is our best option right now, and is better than most. He is not a great player but he is good and would start on most 3-4 teams.

MJZiggy
09-11-2011, 05:56 PM
This team misses me sitting in a 50-yard-line seat. Other than that, they just miss a little D, but considering our first-week opponent, it might have been a fluke.

Upnorth
09-11-2011, 06:20 PM
http://fourlegfriend.net/wp-content/uploads/pup5.jpg
http://http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1pR541BOT3I/Sb-hLxfN2oI/AAAAAAAAAhU/YBeIBqskPAM/s1600-h/cat-fight-dog.jpg
TAKE THAT FUZZY PUPPY!

Upnorth
09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
So the above was supposed to be a pic of a cat biting a dog in a lame attempt to be funny, but I suck at computers!

MJZiggy
09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
http://http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1pR541BOT3I/Sb-hLxfN2oI/AAAAAAAAAhU/YBeIBqskPAM/s1600-h/cat-fight-dog.jpg
TAKE THAT FUZZY PUPPY!

We've been discussing potential fuzzy puppies. Though nothing that big. Depends on if my job goes permanent. If it does, then we can get a puppy someday.

bobblehead
09-11-2011, 07:10 PM
From where I stand, Jarius Wynn played just as well last night as Jenkins did in an average game for him. He may have actually played better than Jenkins recently on an average night, since he played the run very well.

I agree...Wynn stunned me. I didn't see this coming. I have to see it for more than one game though.

bobblehead
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm calm. I thought the premise of this thread was lame. Or presumptuous. Or something. You watched the ballgame, so you know. Wynn replaced Cullen on the field, Neal replaced him on the inactive due to injury list.

We didn't miss that guy even a little bit.

This is just another example of how sometimes 2 guys step up to replace one.

rbaloha1
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Its difficult to determine if the Packers miss Jenkins since Neal was out.

Wynn certainly played well and should this continue -- no we do not miss Jenkins.

gbgary
09-11-2011, 11:35 PM
This team really misses...

gilbert brown, shawn jones, and reggie white.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2011, 12:05 AM
I hope So'oto is able to put quality pressure opposite CMIII, but until he's healthy Walden does okay. He is our best option right now, and is better than most. He is not a great player but he is good and would start on most 3-4 teams.

I'm not convinced any of the guys make for a quality starter, but the three together might be adequate. Zombo is a good run defender with some pass rush skill. Walden is a good coverage LB with some pass rush potential. So'oto looks like he might be able to rush the passer and has the size to play the run, but his speed limits his ability to cover. Plus, I saw him make a lot of mistakes in the run game in the preseason, so he needs some seasoning. Unless I missed something though, So'oto has worked mostly at LOLB, so I'm not sure he's even a candidate at ROLB yet.

Smeefers
09-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm not convinced any of the guys make for a quality starter, but the three together might be adequate. Zombo is a good run defender with some pass rush skill. Walden is a good coverage LB with some pass rush potential. So'oto looks like he might be able to rush the passer and has the size to play the run, but his speed limits his ability to cover. Plus, I saw him make a lot of mistakes in the run game in the preseason, so he needs some seasoning. Unless I missed something though, So'oto has worked mostly at LOLB, so I'm not sure he's even a candidate at ROLB yet.

Crap, I always forget that LOLB and ROLB are not interchangeable for these younger guys.

Speaking of interchangeable, Remember when CMIII was strictly a LOLB last year? Not so much this year. I saw him all over the place. Well, maybe not ALL over, but he did jump around a little bit.

denverYooper
09-12-2011, 11:15 AM
the bikini girls

Upnorth
09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
the bikini girls

Yes. This is true.

Also Harvey I dont think Walden is great or even very good, just good and above average. I think there are at least 4 3-4 which would like to start him over what they have.
Looking from our perspective it is easy to critize LOLB when ROLB is on the quick track to the hall.

steve823
09-13-2011, 11:54 AM
The OLB outside of Clay (whoever it is - don't care who) needs to be able to win some 1 on 1s or at least get near the qb. Clay gets so many blockers and attention that the other OLB should be able to capitalize on that.

Fritz
09-13-2011, 01:22 PM
This is just another example of how sometimes 2 guys step up to replace one.

That's what your mom said.

!!!

Lurker64
09-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure how the Packers pass offense is going to survive without Sterling Sharpe. He made Favre you know?

sheepshead
09-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure how the Packers pass offense is going to survive without Sterling Sharpe. He made Favre you know?

Like I said, A Mike Wahle thread (glad it isn't, they were hard to stomach)

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2011, 01:57 PM
... Robert Brooks. He at least could do a Lambeau Leap without needing to pull himself up.

Guiness
09-13-2011, 02:29 PM
I always wondered what would happen if they'd actually thrown a TD pass to Kevin Barry when he was lined up as a TE in the U-71 formation.

pbmax
09-13-2011, 03:40 PM
I always wondered what would happen if they'd actually thrown a TD pass to Kevin Barry when he was lined up as a TE in the U-71 formation.

Stadium reconstruction and a moment of silence for the fallen (read: crushed).

MJZiggy
09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Stadium reconstruction and a moment of silence for the fallen (read: crushed).:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Iron Mike
09-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Danny Lansanah.....

Guiness
09-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Danny Lansanah.....

Isn't that the guy we cut Chris White for, seemingly leading to a huge drop-off in out STs?

Brando19
10-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Now do you guys think we miss Jenkins??????

MJZiggy
10-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Now do you guys think we miss Jenkins?????? Al Harris.

pbmax
10-09-2011, 10:57 PM
No.

denverYooper
10-09-2011, 10:58 PM
The better question might be: does Jenkins miss being on the Packers?

HarveyWallbangers
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Jenkins is sure making a difference for the Eagles. Their defense has given up 35, 29, 24, and 31 points the last four games. :) They gave up 35 to Atlanta.

Partial
10-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Jenkins is sure making a difference for the Eagles. Their defense has given up 35, 29, 24, and 31 points the last four games. :) They gave up 35 to Atlanta.

Unfair. This D is not great. Jenkins would be an improvement. Is he a good guy to have around long term? Maybe, maybe not. When right he's as good as anyone we've got.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2011, 01:44 AM
He might be good, but would we have been able to extend Nelson and Sitton + perhaps Finley and Wells with his $5-6M on the books? I'm not sure. I'm sure they liked Neal and thought they could get by with him and Wilson. Hasn't worked out, but I'm not sure the DL is the main problem. Most 3-4 DL don't rack up sacks and pressures. If you are going to criticize Thompson, I'd say criticize him for not finding a way to get a good pass rushing ROLB opposite Matthews.

vince
10-10-2011, 08:25 AM
He might be good, but would we have been able to extend Nelson and Sitton + perhaps Finley and Wells with his $5-6M on the books? I'm not sure. I'm sure they liked Neal and thought they could get by with him and Wilson. Hasn't worked out, but I'm not sure the DL is the main problem. Most 3-4 DL don't rack up sacks and pressures. If you are going to criticize Thompson, I'd say criticize him for not finding a way to get a good pass rushing ROLB opposite Matthews.
Agree 100%. Not re-signing Jenkins hurts, but it was still the right move both then and now for all the reasons you cite Harv.

Partial
10-10-2011, 09:22 AM

I'm not criticizing at all. I'm 110% good with TT. Just saying your point is unfair as I'm sure you know. This team is better today with Jenkins than without. Is it better next year? I don't know about that one. I don't know whether I would have resigned him or not. I'm not a huge Jenkins fan as he's constantly hurt.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I think everybody agreed that Jenkins is good (although he's 30+ and injury prone). The argument has always been whether we should have resigned him.

denverYooper
10-10-2011, 10:58 AM

</thread>