PDA

View Full Version : AP gets 100 mill dollar deal

packers11
09-10-2011, 02:42 PM
ikings agreed to terms with RB Adrian Peterson on a seven-year, $100 million contract.

The biggest deal ever given to a running back includes $36 million in guaranteed money, which is $6 million more than Chris Johnson landed earlier this month. If Peterson makes it through the entire contract (which is unlikely), he'll make an average of $14.3 million per year through 2017. It's an astronomical deal for a running back, but it's hard to argue Peterson, still only 26 years old, hasn't earned it by averaging 1,445 rushing yards and 13.5 touchdowns since coming into the league in 2007. He's coming off his "worst" season, which saw him rush for 1,298 yards while finding the end zone 12 times.

MJZiggy
09-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't care how good he is, there is no WAY he is worth that.

Harlan Huckleby
09-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Chris Johnson just soiled his BVDs

bobblehead
09-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Good for him...this contract should keep the vikings non competitive for a few more years.

Brandon494
09-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Hes the best RB in the league and their franchise player. He is worth it.

Brando19
09-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I love it. Invest everything in a RB and the future isn't so bright.

pbmax
09-10-2011, 04:07 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/10/more-details-on-adrian-petersons-deal/

More details on Adrian Peterson’s deal
Posted by Mike Florio on September 10, 2011, 3:27 PM EDT
Dallas Cowboys v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

With Adrian Peterson due to make $10.7 million in 2011 and, if subject to the franchise tag, $12.84 million in 2012, Peterson truly was in the driver’s seat. And he has now traded in the car for a deal that will pay him a whopping $40 million in the first three years.

In contrast, Titans running back Chris Johnson will receive $31 million over the next three seasons. Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams will be paid $30 million in that same period of time.

The seven-year deal (technically, six-year extension) will pay $52 million over four years and $65 million over five years. Johnson will get $39 million and $47 million, respectively, over that same period of time.

He is not going to see it all, but its not bad pay for a day's work.

red
09-10-2011, 06:01 PM
this is awesome. this is like what the colts did with peyton manning, give him so much money that you can't afford any help for him

and the beauty part is, he's only got 2 or 3 good years left IMO

red
09-10-2011, 06:07 PM

i honestly don't know if any running back is worth that much money any more. he's a great running back, but when was the last time a team that relied on the rush to win, won a super bowl?

its a passing game now, we proved last year that you don't need to be great running the ball to win it all

a running back is one of the highest profile guys on the team, but he actually might be one of the least important guys on offense when you really think about it

mraynrand
09-10-2011, 07:36 PM
It's a passing league. This is like investing in a really nice ocean liner instead of jets for the NY-London route.

LP
09-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I dunno, sounds like slave wages to me.

HowardRoark
09-10-2011, 08:57 PM
It's a passing league. This is like investing in a really nice ocean liner instead of jets for the NY-London route.

He can buy this one pretty cheap these days:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1371620/Tiger-Woods-puts-25m-super-yacht-Privacy-sale-Elin-Nordegren-rejects-it.html

HowardRoark
09-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Or maybe just this one, he can take his teammates out for a spin on their off week:

http://mn.meetingsmags.com/sites/meetingsmag.advantagelabs.com/files/Lake%20Minnetonka.JPG?1291738864

Upnorth
09-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Excellent, I love seeing division teams put so much into one spot when they have holes elsewhere.

Brando19
09-10-2011, 09:22 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Nice!

RashanGary
09-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Good for him...this contract should keep the vikings non competitive for a few more years.

Yup. The Vikings suck.

MadtownPacker
09-11-2011, 01:09 AM
He has been the best RB but I have a feeling he wont be this year. mcnabb seems to bring dark clouds wherever he goes.

this is awesome. this is like what the colts did with peyton manning, give him so much money that you can't afford any help for him

and the beauty part is, he's only got 2 or 3 good years left IMOGreat point, looks like all the crank hasn't caused you any harm.

Can a brotha getta Amen? :lol:

Or maybe just this one, he can take his teammates out for a spin on their off week:

http://mn.meetingsmags.com/sites/meetingsmag.advantagelabs.com/files/Lake%20Minnetonka.JPG?1291738864
IM's gonna be upset you beat him to the boat shot.

RashanGary
09-11-2011, 09:15 AM
The Vikings suck.

Fritz
09-11-2011, 11:57 AM
How much do they have invested in an offensive line to open up some holes?

CaliforniaCheez
09-11-2011, 12:42 PM
This is his 5th year. RB's are rare that last longer. This could be much like the Shaun Alexander deal.

How much is left in the tank? 1 season? 2?

Peterson now takes up over 10 % of the viklings cap space which keeps them from rebuilding.

The viklings keep shooting themselves in the foot and they wonder why they are only 1 of 2 NFC teams not win a George Halas Trophy.

Guiness
09-11-2011, 01:24 PM
This is his 5th year. RB's are rare that last longer. This could be much like the Shaun Alexander deal.

How much is left in the tank? 1 season? 2?

Peterson now takes up over 10 % of the viklings cap space which keeps them from rebuilding.

The viklings keep shooting themselves in the foot and they wonder why they are only 1 of 2 NFC teams not win a George Halas Trophy.

Bastard. You're going to make me look up the other one! Obvious guess is Detroit, Carolina had that fluke season with Delhome.

We don't know the terms of the deal, but I can't see how it's a good one for the Vikings. How does it pan out as a 5yr deal will be the big question. If he chews up the 10% of cap space during that time, it almost precludes the Vikings having a franchise QB.

edit: Detolet it was. Carolina, Arizona Tampa, Seattle, New Orleans and Atlanta all won it once.

3irty1
09-11-2011, 11:20 PM
They should tagged and traded. Maybe they could have been on the winning end of a Herschel Walker deal. Now they're destined to cut their washed up RB after a few more years of meaningless football.

denverYooper
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
They should tagged and traded. Maybe they could have been on the winning end of a Herschel Walker deal. Now they're destined to cut their washed up RB after a few more years of meaningless football.

Yep. It's going to be tough to win much of anything without a credible passing game. Guy's going to end up like Steven Jackson--by the time the Vikings find a passing game he's going to be an old man in running back years.