PDA

View Full Version : Screw you special teams

Smeefers
09-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't know if I can say fuck in a thread title, but that's the proper sentiment if you ask me. I hate it. Absolutely hate it. Our special teams still sucks balls. They've sucked balls for years. They're professional ball suckers who are lead by a guy who's title should turn from special teams coordinator to Master Ball SUCKER.

I know we had a great return, but you know what? It should of never happened. I'm glad it did, but it shouldn't of happened. He was 8 deep in thend zonene. He risked himself and he defied the coaches to get it done. Throw on top of that a punt return, a deep kick off return and a kick that damn near went out of bounds and I say our special teams wherabysmalal. The only topping on the cake would be iVincecWilforkrk came out of nowhere and ran one back on us too. Once again, I will lay this down at Shawn Slocum's feet. Fuck this guy. Seriously.

What in gods name does he have to do to get fired? He's lead the shittiest special teams our I've ever seen our franchise put on the field and he's doneconsistentlyntly for four years. There's no excusManagementment is pissing me off with the decision to keep this guy. I was listening to the radio and some talking head said it best. I'll paraphrase: "Special teams will keep an average team in the game with a good team that should be smashing them. One day, crappy special teams will turn around and bite you in the ass. Also, fuck Shawn Slocum."

Upnorth
09-11-2011, 06:15 PM
That is a very good question, what does Slocum have to do to get fired? Does he have black mail material? Is he a relative? Is he a hypnotist? Practice voodoo?
There is no legitimate excuse to keep that man from what I have seen over the years. Maybe the fire ted thompson guy can switch over to Fire Shawn Slocum? Any one know how to get ahold of him?

red
09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
abso-fucking-lutley

Joemailman
09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
He's been the coordinator for 2 years, plus 1 game. He may not have deserved to be retained after last year, but teams usually don't fire coordinators after winning the Super Bowl.

Upnorth
09-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Its only been two years? Wow it feels like a decade of pain already!

Joemailman
09-11-2011, 06:27 PM
He was the assistant 2007-2008, and the coordinator 2009-present.

red
09-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Its only been two years? Wow it feels like a decade of pain already!

thats because the guy before him was equally as bad, but of course he got canned for sucking this bad

Upnorth
09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
At least our special teams are better than San Diego's. That is called a moral victory.

rbaloha1
09-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Agree about st -- very inconsistent. Players are still undisciplined in staying in their lanes.

The previous excuse was injuries thus the lack of continuity.

smuggler
09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
If this keeps up, I don't see us retaining him beyond this season.

Bretsky
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Slouch Slocum is junk; he assists a guy who got fired and then inherits the job and performs worse than the previous guy.
The punter and SB victory saved his job last year; hard to fire a coach after winning the SB.

But he's still the same slouch he's been the past two years IMO

King Friday
09-11-2011, 11:36 PM
It's all about pad level.

gbgary
09-11-2011, 11:38 PM
special teams scored 12 points.

Guiness
09-11-2011, 11:57 PM
special teams scored 12 points.

Mmm. 'cause God told him to run it back from 8 yards deep, not Slocum.

Fritz
09-12-2011, 07:19 AM
I think Slocum is lucky he's had Randall Cobb dumped in his lap. But with all the players kept because of their special teams skills, how come the punt coverage team was sucking so badly?

Slocum. Ugh.

bobblehead
09-12-2011, 08:35 AM
At least our special teams are better than San Diego's. That is called a moral victory.

Another word for a moral victory is; loss.

rbaloha1
09-12-2011, 10:54 AM
I think Slocum is lucky he's had Randall Cobb dumped in his lap. But with all the players kept because of their special teams skills, how come the punt coverage team was sucking so badly?

Slocum. Ugh.

Yup. Cobb's return was due to effort not scheme or being well blocked.

Punter also must not kick right down the middle of field.

Smeefers
09-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Holy wow the spelling was off. I spell checked it and everything. Raaar. I hate looking like a 4 year old. Especially when I'm throwing a temper tantrum.

It's good to see I'm not alone in my loathing of our ST play. I'd forgotten that he's only had two years and that he was an assistant before that. I actually now remember when they fired the last guy and brought up Slocum. I was wondering if it was a great guy to bring a guy up within who's been sucking it up the past two years with the current guy. I'm not saying Winston Moss is a bad coach, but I think it would of been a bad idea to give him the DC job after Sanders was fired. You gotta see how to win before you can coach it.

pittstang5
09-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I wanted Slocum gone right after the Superbowl, but knew he wouldn't go anywhere because of the Superbowl win.

I just don't know what the exact problem is with coverage units these last couple years, but the common denominator is Slocum. Fix the problem, get rid of Slocum. At least that will make me feel better.

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Some damn rookie sets an NFL record on a KO return against you - I bet you want to fire your ST coach, eh?

Your punter has an off-day hitting the ball and directing it where it's supposed to go - fire the ST coach!

Fire, Fire, Fire!

Fritz
09-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Dammit, mraynrand, Pittstang is right: fire the coach so we can feel better!

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Dammit, mraynrand, Pittstang is right: fire the coach so we can feel better!

I want Nolan Cromwell back. Some guys were born to be ST coaches. Anything else is a waste!

Freak Out
09-12-2011, 06:44 PM
I want Nolan Cromwell back. Some guys were born to be ST coaches. Anything else is a waste!

+1

How long are we going to have to suffer the indignity of horrible coverage units?

Upnorth
09-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Some damn rookie sets an NFL record on a KO return against you - I bet you want to fire your ST coach, eh?

Your punter has an off-day hitting the ball and directing it where it's supposed to go - fire the ST coach!

Fire, Fire, Fire!

So do you think the Mr Slocum is worth keeping? Is he evne in the top 25 of ST coaches in the league?

CaptainKickass
09-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I'd be willing to bet there's a better ST coach who is not currently employed in the NFL

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 07:28 PM
So do you think the Mr Slocum is worth keeping? Is he evne in the top 25 of ST coaches in the league?

I'm willing to give Stubby the benefit of the doubt that there isn't a better guy - or that he doesn't want to potentially disrupt things at this point for marginal gain.

Fritz
09-12-2011, 07:49 PM

+2

pbmax
09-12-2011, 09:21 PM

If I recall, I think he stunk too until Desmond showed up. These coaches are so inconsistent.

pbmax
09-12-2011, 09:22 PM
+1

How long are we going to have to suffer the indignity of horrible coverage units?

Hopefully 2 more Super Bowls :)

MJZiggy
09-12-2011, 09:37 PM
If I recall, I think he stunk too until Desmond showed up. These coaches are so inconsistent. I don't know. Sanders was consistent. Consistently bad...

Smeefers
09-13-2011, 01:54 AM
And so, seeing as we all see (except for mraynrand) that Slocum is absolutly horrible, and seeing as Ted Thompson is the one who didn't replace him, I can only assume that everyone here (except for mraynrand) thinks TT should be fired. I'm glad we got that out of the way.

pittstang5
09-13-2011, 06:23 AM
And so, seeing as we all see (except for mraynrand) that Slocum is absolutly horrible, and seeing as Ted Thompson is the one who didn't replace him, I can only assume that everyone here (except for mraynrand) thinks TT should be fired. I'm glad we got that out of the way.

Like all the others, I'm just fed up the the consistent inconsistency of the Special Team Coverage units. It's been a problem for a long time and it needs to stop. I'm sick of hearing, "We need to fix that." Well - FIX IT!

Didn't Aaron Rogers one time last year say in an interview that he would cringe a couple times when he had to watch the ensuing kick-off, after they were down and had gotten the lead back?

pbmax
09-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Good, there are some domains that are greatly in need of traffic.

http://www.firetedthompsonnow.com

Pugger
09-13-2011, 08:22 AM
+1

I think KO and punt coverage units league wide suck and have for years. Only a handful of teams are any good at STs like the bares.

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 10:15 AM
If I recall, I think he stunk too until Desmond showed up. These coaches are so inconsistent.

:lol: Great players make coaches look brilliant, don't they...

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Is everyone enjoying all the touchbacks so far this year. Fun, Fun Fun!

I think next year they should change the rules and give out a point or two if you can put the KO between the uprights. If we're going to have these dull touchbacks to save the players from injury, at least add some excitement back to it!

pbmax
09-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Is everyone enjoying all the touchbacks so far this year. Fun, Fun Fun!

I think next year they should change the rules and give out a point or two if you can put the KO between the uprights. If we're going to have these dull touchbacks to save the players from injury, at least add some excitement back to it!

Touchbacks were up but the formation limit of 5 yards off the ball for the KO coverage team has had the unintended effect of making longer returns more likely I think.

Smeefers
09-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I was very happy with the special teams this week. I may have over reacted.