PDA

View Full Version : Is NFC North toughest division in football

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2011, 06:24 PM
I thought it might be even before the first week of games.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I don't think you can make a case for any other division right now. The NFC South is our closest competition for that distinction IMO, and we saw how that worked out today.

RashanGary
09-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Minny is a stinker. Seems like we have 3 playoff worthy teams. I think we'll be there with the tougher divisions.

Upnorth
09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
AFCN- Pats are great, but I think the Jets are not a first tier team. Miami and Buffalo are just another team.
AFCE-Steelers and Ravens very tough, Browns and Bengals not.
AFCW- SD is for real, but chokers, the rest are average at best
AFCS- No real contenders if Manning is done.
NFCE- Eagles and Dallas are tough. Giants and Was not so much.
NFCW- LOL
NFCS- today really suprised me, I still think NO, TB are for real, I didn't belive in ATL going into season even before today. Carolina looks better than I give them credit for, maybe 3 wins on the year.

I think AFCE is the real compititon for toughest division. If the queens get 6 wins this year then i think we are toughest.

King Friday
09-11-2011, 08:54 PM
At this point, I would have to say the NFCN is the best. Our teams all played against other teams that are bona-fide playoff contenders this week, and went 3-1.

The Packers, Bears and Lions are all playoff contenders. The only other division with 3 teams like that is the NFCS, but we went 3-0 against them this week.

Brando19
09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Three VERY good teams in the NFC North. Minnesota is a joke....McNabb had 35 yards today...hahahaha.

smuggler
09-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Wow. The Vikes have no passing game. They can't compete against the other three teams in the division. If they fall behind, they're done for.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2011, 09:43 PM
I cast my vote before watching the second half of the Vikings game. :lol:

The Vikings are probably an 8-8 team. San Diego is very good.

gbgary
09-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Three VERY good teams in the NFC North. Minnesota is a joke....McNabb had 35 yards today...hahahaha.

you're kidding. for the game?

Kiwon
09-11-2011, 10:54 PM
McNabb's line - 7 of 15, 39 yards. Unbelieveable.

Guiness
09-11-2011, 11:06 PM
This series summed up the imaginative play calling for the Vikings tonight:

1-10-MIN20(11:38) A.Peterson left end to MIN 34 for 14 yards (T.Spikes, A.Garay).
1-10-MIN34(11:03) A.Peterson right end to MIN 37 for 3 yards (Q.Jammer, T.Spikes).
2-7-MIN37(10:30) A.Peterson up the middle to MIN 35 for -2 yards (C.Liuget, B.Sanders).
3-9-MIN35(9:51) (Shotgun) D.McNabb pass short middle to A.Peterson to MIN 39 for 4 yards (A.Barnes).

In McNabb's defense (?) he did run for another 32 yards, making him the second leading rusher for the Vikings tonigth!:lol:

Brando19
09-11-2011, 11:11 PM
you're kidding. for the game?

He had a few yards rushing...but passing he only had 39 yards. I thought it was 35, but as Kiwon pointed out...it was 39.

Joemailman
09-11-2011, 11:14 PM
I cast my vote before watching the second half of the Vikings game. :lol:

The Vikings are probably an 8-8 team. San Diego is very good.

If the Vikes win 8, Frazier may be Coach Of The Year. They'll be lucky to win 2 games in the division. They already have a loss outside of it.

gbgary
09-11-2011, 11:21 PM
He had a few yards rushing...but passing he only had 39 yards. I thought it was 35, but as Kiwon pointed out...it was 39.

39 yards passing...lol. they should bring what's his name back.

Brando19
09-11-2011, 11:26 PM
39 yards passing...lol. they should bring what's his name back.

You mean Sage Rosenfels? lol

Kiwon
09-12-2011, 04:44 AM
You mean Sage Rosenfels? lol

No, Sean Salisbury

Fred's Slacks
09-12-2011, 05:54 AM
I always felt the NFCS was overrated last year. Yes, they had 3 10 win teams but they also played the NFCW and those three teams each played Carolina twice. That's 6 easy wins. Win 4 of your other 10 games and you've got a 10 win season. They were good, but not as good as they got credit for last year.

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Tampa looked like shit yesterday - their defense can't tackle. The Lions O-line dominated them. Freeman looked pedestrian. Maybe it's just the Lions improvement though. It's just one game.

The Vikings can stay in games with their defense and running game, but their 'Passing Offense' - all 25 yards of it - will lose them games.

I have to believe ATL had playoff hangover - plus they didn't address problems in their secondary/pass defense.

Philly was a preseason favorite of many. I can't think that Vick will last the season with the beating he takes, and Vince can't throw and accurate ball. They may threaten, but aren't as good as 3/4 of the NFCN.

Smeefers
09-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I have a hard time seeing the NFCN being acknowledged the toughest division. The guys at ESPN would shit a brick if they couldn't talk about how tough the east coast teams have it. I hate the bears. I thought they were seriously over rated last year, but they refuse to die. They looked good yesterday. Against a pretty good team (although I always thought ATL was over rated. Ryan is no super star yet.)

Upnorth
09-12-2011, 11:47 AM
One thing I think should be obvious is NFCN has the best defence. We all know the pack have a great d, the bears (bastards) look better than last year and the d line for the lions is probably the best in the league. The worst defense in the north is the queens and the d is their strenght.
The lions have had over the last 3 years a historically bad pass defence, but it started to firm up last year. With the additions to the dline they look ready to over come the weak secondary. If this is the weakest defensive unit in the division, I think dominance is obvious.

denverYooper
09-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Tampa looked like shit yesterday - their defense can't tackle. The Lions O-line dominated them. Freeman looked pedestrian. Maybe it's just the Lions improvement though. It's just one game.

The Vikings can stay in games with their defense and running game, but their 'Passing Offense' - all 25 yards of it - will lose them games.

I have to believe ATL had playoff hangover - plus they didn't address problems in their secondary/pass defense.

Philly was a preseason favorite of many. I can't think that Vick will last the season with the beating he takes, and Vince can't throw and accurate ball. They may threaten, but aren't as good as 3/4 of the NFCN.

There was some discussion in the week 1 thread about Vick taking a beating and Dungy mentioned last night on FNIA that Vick looked to be rattled already this year and was slipping back into his tendency to take off running instead of letting plays set up.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
If the Vikes win 8, Frazier may be Coach Of The Year. They'll be lucky to win 2 games in the division. They already have a loss outside of it.
IF you watched the Vikings in the preseason, McNabb showed a very live arm.

I don't know what happened yesterday, but I would be careful about burying the Vikings after one game.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-J1R5dID-K1U/Tet2tRVqQVI/AAAAAAAAJvc/RA3aBqqsgTM/s1600/ben-stein-anyone-anyone.jpg

People, what did we see yesterday? Anyone? Anyone?

We saw the first game of the NFL season.

What does the first game mean? Anyone? Anyone?

Jack shit, that's what. Atlanta does not suck. Minnesota will find a passing game.

Lurker64
09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I think the NFC South developed an unearned reputation as elite largely because 3 of the 4 teams in it had 8 combined games against the Bengals, Browns, NFC West, and the 2-14 Carolina Panthers (who were 0-6 in their division).

The Falcons were 8-0 in these games.
The Bucs were 8-0 in these games.
The Saints were 6-2 in these games.

That's going to tend to inflate win totals.

More, in 2010:
The Saints were 3-1 in games not against their own division, the NFC West, or the Bengals and Browns.
The Falcons were 2-2 in games not against their own division, the NFC West, or the Bengals and Browns.
The Buccaneers were 1-3 in games not against their own division, the NFC West, or the Bengals and Browns.

I think the last statistic is the one that gives us the best indication of how that division ends up this year.

hoosier
09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
The NFC North is so tough it's not a division, it's a corps.

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 01:20 PM
The NFC North is so tough it's not a division, it's a corps.

The NFC West is a squad then

Upnorth
09-12-2011, 04:13 PM
The NFC West is a squad then

More like an army of none.