PDA

View Full Version : Charles or Corey Rodgers?

Partial
08-14-2006, 11:59 AM
The Lions are going to cut Charles Rodgers. This is accepted. He has been a problem child, a cancer, and a druggie. For all those bad things, he will come cheap and has immense talent and if he got his act together he is the only receiver we have that could ERASE the sad feelings of losing Javon Walker.

He is definitely a risk character wise. Salary wise, I don't think he'll be too big of one. The reward could be very, very high.

Should we go after him when he gets cut?

If we went after him, it seems unlikely to me that Corey Rodgers will make the team. Perhaps a year on the practice squad, but more likely someone in need of a returner will pick him up since he was a pretty high pick this year.

Decisions, decisions.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2006, 12:06 PM
I say 100% yes if its to a 1 year deal. This guy was the number 3 overall pick, he's big, fast, and has potential to be very good with Brett. Although I wouldn't say this is a must sign because I liked how are WR played last saturday.

Partial
08-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I say 100% yes if its to a 1 year deal. This guy was the number 3 overall pick, he's big, fast, and has potential to be very good with Brett. Although I wouldn't say this is a must sign because I liked how are WR played last saturday.

#2 :wink:

Astonishment
08-14-2006, 12:09 PM
I would definately try him out for a year also, but I would put to much hope in him.

BlueBrewer
08-14-2006, 12:35 PM
I would definately try him out for a year also, but I would put to much hope in him.

I would love to see him signed but I would be Astonished to see him on the Packer roster.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Say we did sign Charles Rodgers, and we kept 6 WRs, which two would get cut B/W.......

Ruvell Martin
Marc Boerigter
Rod Gardner
Cory Rodgers

This is with the assumption that Robert Ferguson, Charles Rodgers, DD, and GJ all are locks. (I know a lot of people think Ferguson is not a lock, but I just don't see us cutting him).

Partial
08-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Say we did sign Charles Rodgers, and we kept 6 WRs, which two would get cut B/W.......

Ruvell Martin
Marc Boerigter
Rod Gardner
Cory Rodgers

This is with the assumption that Robert Ferguson, Charles Rodgers, DD, and GJ all are locks. (I know a lot of people think Ferguson is not a lock, but I just don't see us cutting him).

In that case (I don't think they keep 6, I think they carry 5 db instead in Hawkins, Horton, Carroll, Harris, Woodson with Blackmon on IR), they keep Gardner and Rodgers. Martin isn't going to make the team and neither is Boerichter. Rodgers, 'cause he is a rookie, and Gardner, because there is no reason not to and he is experienced.

BlueBrewer
08-14-2006, 12:41 PM

Ruvell Martin
Marc Boerigter
Rod Gardner
Cory Rodgers

My guess would be Boerigter and Rodgers, maybe Gardner

Bretsky
08-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Ruvell Martin
Marc Boerigter
Rod Gardner
Cory Rodgers

My guess would be Boerigter and Rodgers, maybe Gardner

Rodgers has more talent at WR than any of the above as well as Ferguson; the question is does his attitude warrant consideration. We should be desperate, and I'd like to see him along with Gardner, Jennings, and Driver.

B

the_idle_threat
08-14-2006, 08:22 PM
I think we bring him in for a look. Not gonna count on anything, but a guy who's been cut can sometimes find new motivation ... especially if he stays in the same division and plays his old team twice a year. If this guy actually heeds the wake up call, the payoff could be enormous.

Spaulding
08-14-2006, 09:13 PM
I just don't see Charles Rodgers getting cut. If anything Detroit will look to move him for a conditional 2007 draft choice, that way they can be assured of trading him to a team outside their division and not giving him the incentive to rise to the occassion against them.

If this holds true Thompson won't part with even a conditional pick after drafting two WR's this year and giving signing bonuses to Gardner and Boericter (sp?).

Seems to be a moot point. Fun for speculation but generally a waste of time thinking or dreaming about it.

red
08-14-2006, 09:25 PM
i'd rather have mike williams, he's a better fit for our team

if he's the one thats cut, both are on very thin ice

i have every bit of faith that the guy will be a great playmaker in the pros. he just needs the right fit

the_idle_threat
08-14-2006, 10:01 PM
I just don't see Charles Rodgers getting cut. If anything Detroit will look to move him for a conditional 2007 draft choice, that way they can be assured of trading him to a team outside their division and not giving him the incentive to rise to the occassion against them.

If this holds true Thompson won't part with even a conditional pick after drafting two WR's this year and giving signing bonuses to Gardner and Boericter (sp?).

Seems to be a moot point. Fun for speculation but generally a waste of time thinking or dreaming about it.

I agree that the Lions might trade for a conditional draft choice ... the Pack even got that much for Jamal Reynolds when his benchwarming run came to an end.

But I also think TT would consider it. The deal would fail to happen only because the Lions might want him out of the division, or because TT values future draft picks too much. I really don't think Ted would lose any sleep if he ate Boerigter's or Gardner's signing bonus ... he's probably going to do so anyway with one of them.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-23-2006, 12:59 PM
BUMP

If the Detroit Lions are smart, they'll trade receiver Charles Rogers next week. ... By most accounts, Rogers and the Lions are going to severe their relationship. ... The Lions must make sure that when Rogers leaves, he goes as far away as possible. If they don't, and Rogers ends up in a place like Chicago, Minnesota or Green Bay, the Lions might live to regret it. Some Lions officials will tell you they're convinced Rogers will not succeed in football; others will tell you that while they're convinced Rogers is done in Detroit, a new start might revive his career.

Posted August 23, by Ben Maller

Guiness
08-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Well, he hasn't shown himself to be 'Packer People' as TT says he wants.

His pedigree is too high, and Detroit should be able to get something for him, even if it is conditional. So they won't just cut him, and they're likely too afraid of his talent to trade him within the division.

A future Raider?

Rastak
08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
BUMP

If the Detroit Lions are smart, they'll trade receiver Charles Rogers next week. ... By most accounts, Rogers and the Lions are going to severe their relationship. ... The Lions must make sure that when Rogers leaves, he goes as far away as possible. If they don't, and Rogers ends up in a place like Chicago, Minnesota or Green Bay, the Lions might live to regret it. Some Lions officials will tell you they're convinced Rogers will not succeed in football; others will tell you that while they're convinced Rogers is done in Detroit, a new start might revive his career.

Posted August 23, by Ben Maller

I think Minnesota has had their fill of turds so I don't think they'll sign him, but then again, you never know...but I'd be surprised.

MasonCrosby
08-23-2006, 03:35 PM
sure take a chance and sign charles rodgers to 1 year deal and have a look at him...it can't hurt any...at worst the team loses some money but if it works out favre has a better target than ferguson to pass to...

FritzDontBlitz
08-23-2006, 03:37 PM
cory rodgers will be cut. he has no hands whatsoever. bring charles rodgers in at a bargain price IF he becomes available to take a look at him over the next two weeks.

Packers4Glory
08-24-2006, 02:05 AM
can't hurt. NO change Mike Williams gets cut..not this yr. CR is as good as gone. go get him if he is available. we need all the talent on offense we can find.

Merlin
08-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Sign him and let him compete. What's the worst that happens? If remember right, he is pretty tall. None of our WR's are tall.

Partial
08-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Sign him and let him compete. What's the worst that happens? If remember right, he is pretty tall. None of our WR's are tall.

Ruvell is 6'4", Gardner is 6'2", Ferg is 6'1", Driver and Rodgers at 6'0", and Jenning is 5'11".

Charles Rodgers is 6'3"

Partial
08-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Funny thing is, when the mock drafts were coming out, this guy was listed as "Randy Moss without the baggage". Everyone thought he would be a stud and ideal citizen. Funny how moss has stayed out of trouble and Rodgers can't even land a starting position.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-24-2006, 12:43 PM

Actually most are relievers are fairly tall, with the exception of Jennings. Driver, Ferg, Gardner, are Martin, are all 6 feet or taller.

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 01:36 PM

Ruvell Martin
Marc Boerigter
Rod Gardner
Cory Rodgers

In that case (I don't think they keep 6, I think they carry 5 db instead in Hawkins, Horton, Carroll, Harris, Woodson with Blackmon on IR), they keep Gardner and Rodgers. Martin isn't going to make the team and neither is Boerichter. Rodgers, 'cause he is a rookie, and Gardner, because there is no reason not to and he is experienced.

" Martin isn't going to make the team " Partial

Yes he is. :mrgreen:

red
08-24-2006, 09:36 PM

Actually most are relievers are fairly tall, with the exception of Jennings. Driver, Ferg, Gardner, are Martin, are all 6 feet or taller.

jennings is listed at 5'11 and 3/4

drivers i think is 6'0 even

take your pinkie finger and look at it from the side. thats close to the difference in height between jennings and driver. not much, huh?

and i wouldn't really call a hair under 6 feet short, like a lot of people say it is

run pMc
08-25-2006, 08:55 AM
If Rogers gets cut, I think he'll get a few offers. There are a bunch of teams looking for WR's. I think DET knows this and will work out a trade. Somebody will give up a conditional draft pick (like a 6th or 7th rounder) for him.
I agree that his days in DET are numbered -- and I'm guessing they will keep M.Williams instead. They won't cut them both...the cap hits would be painful, and Williams could still pan out.
The comments about Rogers not being capable of having a good football career scare me -- that tells me there's something wrong with the kid's head. I do agree that a 1 year contract would be worth the risk, but I'd be shocked if he was cut & signed with GB.

Fritz
08-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Whatever else the Pack does, I hope they just go ahead and cut Cory Rodgers. He's a fumble waiting to happen and apparently doesn't even understand his part in the offense, either. TT needs to admit it was a lousy pick and get on with other tryouts for punt returner. Maybe that guy he got from Cleveland.