PDA

View Full Version : Anyone worried about...

rbaloha1
09-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Cam Newton?

mraynrand
09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I bet his mother is worried about him

Deputy Nutz
09-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Cam is an interesting story. The Panthers' offense should be able to put up points, but the Carolina defense isn't good enough to stop the Packers. Packers score points on at least 6 posessions.

Tony Oday
09-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Not really at all. Does AZ even have NFL CBs? With the Don of defense Dom Capers thinking 195 passing 40 rushing 1td 3 ints.

Lurker64
09-12-2011, 03:35 PM
The Panthers just lost their best player for the season and if there's one thing that Capers should excel at it's "confusing young QBs."

Newton played a lot better yesterday if you read the box score than if you actually watched the game.

Guiness
09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Steve Smith is NOT going to get 200 yards receiving against us.

red
09-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Not really at all. Does AZ even have NFL CBs? With the Don of defense Dom Capers thinking 195 passing 40 rushing 1td 3 ints.

agreed, for whatever reason cam's receivers were open by like 30 yards on a lot of those completions

that won't happen against us

hoosier
09-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Just the same, let's all conjure up mental images and memories of Packer defenders bouncing off the likes of Daunte Culpepper and Josh Freeman so that we won't have to watch that repeatedly on Sunday.

Pugger
09-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I suspect Carolina is more concerned about OUR offense than Dom Capers is about Cam and the Panthers.

Upnorth
09-12-2011, 04:20 PM
No, I don't think our pass rush will hospitalize him so I don't worry for him.

wist43
09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
The game against the Cards was a complete fluke... he'll likely be a busted draft pick for the Panthers.

rbaloha1
09-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Just the same, let's all conjure up mental images and memories of Packer defenders bouncing off the likes of Daunte Culpepper and Josh Freeman so that we won't have to watch that repeatedly on Sunday.

Good recall. IMO Cam will make plays. What happens if Tramon is not playing? Is Woodson or Shields capable of covering Smith one on one?

rbaloha1
09-12-2011, 05:28 PM
The game against the Cards was a complete fluke... he'll likely be a busted draft pick for the Panthers.

What is your basis for this claim?

Fritz
09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm a little worried about Cam. It's such a transition into the workaday world - a new town, new responsibilities. Is he making any friends?

rbaloha1
09-12-2011, 05:32 PM
The Panthers just lost their best player for the season and if there's one thing that Capers should excel at it's "confusing young QBs."

Newton played a lot better yesterday if you read the box score than if you actually watched the game.

I would not dismiss Newton's performance given the historic performance, road opener and lack of OTA and minicamps.

Merril Hodge demonstrated the simplified game plan and shortened field. The Cardinals were aware but incapable of stopping Cam. Should the Panthers protect the game could be closer than we want.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-12-2011, 08:16 PM

No fluke. The Cardinals pass defense is that bad. They were bottom ten last year. And returned an even worse pass D this year.

Guiness
09-12-2011, 08:25 PM
No fluke. The Cardinals pass defense is that bad. They were bottom ten last year. And returned an even worse pass D this year.

Bottom 10...and traded Rodgers-Cromartie for Kolb.

gbgary
09-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Cam Newton?

not yet. ask again in the forth quarter of the game.

pbmax
09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
not yet. ask again in the forth quarter of the game.

Just give the game day thread two Panther drives. We'll get worried in a hurry.

denverYooper
09-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Just give the game day thread two Panther drives. We'll get worried in a hurry.

Or just wait until McCarthy takes his foot off the gas.

Brandon494
09-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I love the hate!

Breaking a rookie passing record by 100 yards his first game and its a fluke. :lol:

Anyone who watches this kid play can tell he has it.

rbaloha1
09-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I love the hate!

Breaking a rookie passing record by 100 yards his first game and its a fluke. :lol:

Racism

Pugger
09-13-2011, 08:26 AM
He can play but he still lost against the Cardinals. He's still young and will make mistakes which I'm sure we'll capitalize on come Sunday. Unless we really screw up the Panthers should be 0-2 after week 2.

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2011, 08:38 AM
He'll make some plays, but he'll also make some mistakes and I believe our defense is quite a bit superior than Arizona's defense is. That superiority will be evident after the game is over. He's not going to repeat that performance against the Packers.

rbaloha1
09-13-2011, 09:35 AM
He can play but he still lost against the Cardinals. He's still young and will make mistakes which I'm sure we'll capitalize on come Sunday. Unless we really screw up the Panthers should be 0-2 after week 2.

Sounds right. Lets hope this is not Josh Freeman all over again.

rbaloha1
09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Sounds right. Lets hope this is not Josh Freeman all over again.

The loss was not due to Newton.

rbaloha1
09-13-2011, 09:37 AM
He'll make some plays, but he'll also make some mistakes and I believe our defense is quite a bit superior than Arizona's defense is. That superiority will be evident after the game is over. He's not going to repeat that performance against the Packers.

Hope you are right. Nonetheless it should be an exciting game. Concerned about covering Steve Smith and the return game.

3irty1
09-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Guys like Cam can make some weird stuff happen. Even if Newton is perfect I don't think it'll be enough though. Obviously Carolina's future is looking great all of a sudden.

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I love the hate!

Ruh, roh, Rorge! Someone is encroaching on Partial's neutral zone.

Zool
09-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I love the hate!

He has all the physical talent in the world and made plenty of rookie mistakes. He was only charged with 1 pic, I think a second was negated by penalty. He looks like a very talented rookie. I'm not worried about the Packers playing the Panthers this week. Dom will bring him back to earth.

MadScientist
09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
He has all the physical talent in the world and made plenty of rookie mistakes. He was only charged with 1 pic, I think a second was negated by penalty. He looks like a very talented rookie. I'm not worried about the Packers playing the Panthers this week. Dom will bring him back to earth.
I'd be more confident if the Packers D looked like they were capable of making stops outside the red zone. That and the possibility of Williams missing the game means they better get their act together fast.

I know they were up against a really good offense last week, but they still made it look better than it normally does.

MadScientist
09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
dp

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Terry Bradshaw says Cam Newton is no damn good, worse than Vince Young. He names 4 rookies QBs who will be better.

Cam Newton will adjust to pros and be a dominant player.

Lurker64
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
The interesting thing about Newton against the Cardinals is that he was asked to make no reads at the line. He was just told what play to run, and he ran that play. This certainly won't always be the way, but I doubt this will correct itself before Sunday.

rbaloha1
09-13-2011, 04:11 PM
The interesting thing about Newton against the Cardinals is that he was asked to make no reads at the line. He was just told what play to run, and he ran that play. This certainly won't always be the way, but I doubt this will correct itself before Sunday.

Where did you get this info? This contradicts Merril Hodge's film breakdown.

rbaloha1
09-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Terry Bradshaw says Cam Newton is no damn good, worse than Vince Young. He names 4 rookies QBs who will be better.

Cam Newton will adjust to pros and be a dominant player.

Agree. Already somewhat dominant. Rookie spread qbs have progressed greatly from Alex Smith.

Lurker64
09-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Where did you get this info? This contradicts Merril Hodge's film breakdown.

I watched the game. Never once did Cam Newton make a pre-snap adjustment. Hodge noted that Newton had observed that a defensive call would leave a receiver minimally covered and that he should throw to that guy, but he has neither the authority nor the responsibility to change the play at the line.

rbaloha1
09-13-2011, 04:46 PM
but he has neither the authority nor the responsibility to change the play at the line.

Says who? What happens when too many players are in the box and there is not enough blockers?

Lurker64
09-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Says who? What happens when too many players are in the box and there is not enough blockers?

It is my understanding that he is supposed to run in those situations. That's what the game indicated, at least.

rbaloha1
09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
It is my understanding that he is supposed to run in those situations. That's what the game indicated, at least.

Can not run in those situations -- must find the hot receiver which requires communication between qb and receiver. Obviously, Cam is not Peyton Manning. All qbs have basic checkdowns and ability to change the play (except Cutler with Martz).

Are you questioning Cam's intelligence?

pbmax
09-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Can not run in those situations -- must find the hot receiver which requires communication between qb and receiver. Obviously, Cam is not Peyton Manning. All qbs have basic checkdowns and ability to change the play (except Cutler with Martz).

Are you questioning Cam's intelligence?

No, not every QB has the authority to change the play. Martz the OC as you indicate, but also young players are infrequently given the authority to audible. Even Favre had to earn it under Holmgren. In some cases, QBs do not even call out protections like experienced vets would.

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 05:48 PM

They're also doing something similar to what Stubby did with Rodgers in 2008 - they are only having him read one half of the field every passing down. As we all know, you can be really effective with that, but you'll just flat out miss on some plays because everything is covered up and you can't adjust - you either throw it away, throw a dangerous pass, take a sack, or tuck 'n run.

rbaloha1
09-13-2011, 06:15 PM
No, not every QB has the authority to change the play. Martz the OC as you indicate, but also young players are infrequently given the authority to audible. Even Favre had to earn it under Holmgren. In some cases, QBs do not even call out protections like experienced vets would.

Favre did check-out of plays but got reamed by Holmgren

rbaloha1
09-13-2011, 06:17 PM
They're also doing something similar to what Stubby did with Rodgers in 2008 - they are only having him read one half of the field every passing down. As we all know, you can be really effective with that, but you'll just flat out miss on some plays because everything is covered up and you can't adjust - you either throw it away, throw a dangerous pass, take a sack, or tuck 'n run.

Correct. Hodge demonstrated this. Does not mean Cam can not change plays under an obvious unfavorable front.

Lurker64
09-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Correct. Hodge demonstrated this. Does not mean Cam can not change plays under an obvious unfavorable front.

But he's also encouraged to improvise once a play breaks down. This is actually his best characteristic as a pro passer (much like Roethlisberger or Romo, just much less experienced).

pbmax
09-13-2011, 07:28 PM

I think that was an Edge NFL Matchup observation, wasn't it? And I think McCarthy pretty much destroyed the notion when it came up in one of his PCs.

Or am I misremembering?

King Friday
09-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Cam Newton is a hell of an athlete, but the kid is hardly knowledgable in terms of complex defensive schemes. He only was a starter for one year in college at the highest level, and wasn't called on to make a lot of reads.

2 games into his NFL career...nope, not scared of him. Against a real defense, he'll look more like a rookie again and less like Superman. He did have a hell of a first game though...regardless of circumstances.

pbmax
09-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Cam Newton is a hell of an athlete, but the kid is hardly knowledgable in terms of complex defensive schemes. He only was a starter for one year in college at the highest level, and wasn't called on to make a lot of reads.

2 games into his NFL career...nope, not scared of him. Against a real defense, he'll look more like a rookie again and less like Superman. He did have a hell of a first game though...regardless of circumstances.

I bet he is good enough to complete passes against complex coverages if those WRs are left open like some of the Saints were. You could use a fractal to design your zone coverage on a Cray in Chippewa Falls, but if Steve Smith is open, then it doesn't matter. In this game, complexity might be useless if Newton is not reading defenses. Coverage and pressure would be better.

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
I think that was an Edge NFL Matchup observation, wasn't it? And I think McCarthy pretty much destroyed the notion when it came up in one of his PCs.

Or am I misremembering?

That's funny. I don't recall where I heard it, but I watched a bunch of games looking for this, and it sure looked like Rodgers was routinely focusing on one side. Even if true, McCarthy would never admit that they were only having Rodgers go through progressions on one side, right?

But I don't get paid to discern gameplans, so I'm happy to concede that I am very likely wrong.

pbmax
09-13-2011, 09:46 PM
That's funny. I don't recall where I heard it, but I watched a bunch of games looking for this, and it sure looked like Rodgers was routinely focusing on one side. Even if true, McCarthy would never admit that they were only having Rodgers go through progressions on one side, right?

But I don't get paid to discern gameplans, so I'm happy to concede that I am very likely wrong.

Yes, my memory is fuzzy on the details as well. While I can see it as an advantage for young QBs and certainly he wouldn't admit it, it just seems like an unStubby thing to do. Even if he later had to backup and decomplicate.

smuggler
09-14-2011, 04:24 AM
That sounds plausible in the Cowboys game in 2007, but I don't buy it for the whole year. As for Newton, the rush is more important than the coverage. He's no Brees, and if we can get pressure (and containment) we should be able to force him into two picks or so like the Cardinals did.

rbaloha1
09-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Kurt Warner's take:

"One of the biggest jumps going from college to pro is for guys who are built around athleticism who have to stay in the pocket and read things and be patient and make plays from in the pocket," Warner said. "That to me was most impressive about what Cam did. I watched (a few plays) where I knew his first guy was not open. I thought, ‘OK, he wants to take off and run.’ But he fought that urge and he stayed in the pocket. Even though he may have taken a sack in certain situations, I loved the fact that he said, ‘Hey, I’m not just going to look at one guy and take off and run like maybe I would had done in college. I’m going to continue to try and learn this game inside the pocket.’ "

Based on what he saw of Newton in the preseason, Warner said he did not expect to get what he saw of him against the Cardinals.

"He made throw after throw after throw accurately, got it to the right guy, put it in a position for his player to make the play," Warner said "There are a lot of guys who are starting in this league who don’t have the ability to do that. The throws are there and they can’t make every throw they need to make. He was able to do that. They were not easy throws. He attacked down the field. He made some big-time throws into coverage. All those things bode extremely well. But there is no way, regardless of who you are, that you can write a book or determine a guy’s season based on one game."

Guiness
09-14-2011, 10:04 PM
The guy has certainly caused some of the skeptics to take a second look. Kurt's analysis is exactly how I think many people are thinking. It's not just that he put up big numbers, it's how he did it.

Sounds like he's going to be interesting to watch. I had near written him off as a VY clone - dual threat, one look and run. Came out after one monster year in college. Reputed to have booted his Wonderlific.

I think the Wonderlific thing is going to be the most interesting. He really came off bad in his interview with Gruden. Arizona obviously has a bad defensive backfield, how will Cam react to more complex coverages. And yes, I know Marino had bad scores as well, but he overcame them. Not many at QB do.

MadtownPacker
09-14-2011, 11:27 PM
The AZ defense is shit. The Packers D is not and will be pissed about Brees ripping them up.

Cam Newton should be worried.

wist43
09-15-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm going against Newton in 2 fantasy leagues!!! Very happy about that... off to a slow start, so need the W's :)

wist43
09-15-2011, 06:51 AM
What's the over/under for picks against the Packers??? 3.5???

Over/under for sacks and picks??? 8.5???

Cheesehead Craig
09-15-2011, 09:18 AM
What's the over/under for picks against the Packers??? 3.5???

Over/under for sacks and picks??? 8.5???

I don't know how to react to Wist being so optimistic. It's just kinda creepy.

rbaloha1
09-15-2011, 09:41 AM
TW is probably out?

Who covers Steve Smith. Other good targets with Shockey and Olsen.

Good running game. Packers sometimes have problems with humidity early in the season (recall cramping issues).

This game may not be as easy as it looked in pre season.

Zool
09-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Rookie QB

rbaloha1
09-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Newton does not have the authority to change plays at the line, Jaws as per espn stated that on the 77 yard scoring throw to Smith, Newton correctly read a cb blitz -- called the correct line protection -- slide to the right and hit Smith for a 77 yard td.

Rookie Freeman also correctly read defenses and torched the Packers in 2009.

IMO the board should not underestimate Newton.

rbaloha1
09-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Rookie QB

So?

Brandon494
09-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Newton does not have the authority to change plays at the line, Jaws as per espn stated that on the 77 yard scoring throw to Smith, Newton correctly read a cb blitz -- called the correct line protection -- slide to the right and hit Smith for a 77 yard td.

Yea but he looks dumb so it's no way he'll be a good QB. Hes the next Jamarcus Russell IMO. They play nothing alike but they are both big black QBs who were taken with the first pick. He also took money in college which NEVER happens. That fake smile isn't fooling me, this guy is trouble.

rbaloha1
09-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Yea but he looks dumb so it's no way he'll be a good QB. Hes the next Jamarcus Russell IMO. They play nothing alike but they are both big black QBs who were taken with the first pick. He also took money in college which NEVER happens. That fake smile isn't fooling me, this guy is trouble.

Adding fuel to the fire -- "What was his wonderlic score?"

Upnorth
09-16-2011, 12:33 PM

All good point, and typical of your thinking Brandon. It is a good thing you are not sarcastic in any way shape or form, otherwise someone might think this post did not mean exactly what you are saying.

Also when is Skinbasket going to call you a racist?

Guiness
09-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Obviously, it would be totally wrong to compare him to Jamarcus. Different style, mannerisms, etc.

Newton is obviously an outgoing self promoter. He attained a high level of success in a limited amount of time in Div I. He may or may not have booted his Wonderlific - I've seen reports of a single digit score, and of 21.

His playing style seems to be most like VY, less like Tebow. Another comparison might be Randall Cuningham? All of those guys had 4 year college careers though. I'm at a loss to think of another prominent QB that played his style (one read and run) in college.

He originally played for Florida in 2007...making 2010 his 4th year. Was he considered a senior???

I don't now where this post is going. In circles, apparently

MadScientist
09-16-2011, 01:25 PM
His old OC at Auburn considered him smart, with a good vision and understanding of coverages and how to attack them.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/129962198.html

Despite the PR problems before the draft, he may well have the makeup along with the tools to succeed. It's a good thing the Packers are getting him before he learns too much, but after there is some good game film on him. It's also good that the Packers have an extra few days of prep time to cover for the likely loss of Williams.

mraynrand
09-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I see Cam Newton having a 'Charlie Batch' Moment on Sunday. Bush in coverage on Steve Smith! Exciting times

mraynrand
09-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Don't get down on the guy. He still may win a game in his career. Just out of curiosity, how long has he been a black QB?

MadScientist
09-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Don't get down on the guy. He still may win a game in his career. Just out of curiosity, how long has he been a black QB?
Only a couple of years, he tried being an Asian and a Hispanic QB before settling on being a Black one.

swede
09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
It is obvious that the media doesn't want an Asian quarterback to succeed, or by golly one would have succeeded.

mraynrand
09-16-2011, 04:41 PM
It is obvious that the media doesn't want an Asian quarterback to succeed, or by golly one would have succeeded.

Lester Kim, the kid from Green Bay, ready to pass his way into NFL history. What an awesome display!

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f152/21709d1136765532-name-car-part-ii-movie-edition-race03.jpg

Guiness
09-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Long Duk Dong was a heck of a prospect...

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Hoo Flung Pu coulda been a contender

RashanGary
09-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Afraid of Cam Newton. . . . At this point in his career?

Nope.

Iron Mike
09-17-2011, 08:42 AM

http://www.myremoteradio.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/miyagi.jpg

Mercy is for the weak!!!!

pbmax
09-17-2011, 08:45 AM

Jaws has been wrong before, but for a single play diagnosis, I would be hard pressed to argue with him. If true, the confusing him might be possible on blitzes and pressure.

But, this is still not reading a coverage.

Brandon494
09-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Hes a more athletic Big Ben.

Scott Campbell
09-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I love the hate!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/15/nfl-admits-marshalls-hit-on-newton-was-legal/

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Timmy Chang from Hawaii had a cup of coffee in the pros

pbmax
09-17-2011, 11:38 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/15/nfl-admits-marshalls-hit-on-newton-was-legal/

And the point ...?

Scott Campbell
09-17-2011, 11:44 AM
And the point ...?

Bad calls happen in the NFL. But you can't count on them to bail you out of INT's every week. The way his performance from last week is viewed was helped tremendously by that bad call.

Having said that, I think he still looked pretty good for his first game.

MadtownPacker
09-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Hes a more athletic Big Ben.
So you are saying he will need a top 3 defense to be successful?

Youre funny, always jumping to the Black mans aid, when the fuck are you ever gonna take the Brown mans side you racist.

MadtownPacker
09-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Agreed. Not saying he sucked or didnt have a great game. I am saying he did it against a city college caliber defense and now we will see how he does against a real NFL D.

MadtownPacker
09-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Lester Kim, the kid from Green Bay, ready to pass his way into NFL history. What an awesome display!

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f152/21709d1136765532-name-car-part-ii-movie-edition-race03.jpg
Damn, what movie is this? 16 Candles? Ferris Buellers Day off? I cant remember.

pbmax
09-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Bad calls happen in the NFL. But you can't count on them to bail you out of INT's every week. The way his performance from last week is viewed was helped tremendously by that bad call.

Bad calls happen all the time, but no one looks at each QB (or every game) that way. Of course its premature to judge Newton, but this hindsight is just a plain waste of time. In fact, its worse than the hindsight of someone who watched the game, its hindsight by press release.

pbmax
09-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Damn, what movie is this? 16 Candles? Ferris Buellers Day off? I cant remember.

Better Off Dead I think. The kid with the microphone is mimicking Howard Cosell and his brother is driving in a drag race versus John Cusack. Funny movie.

"Two dollars!"

RashanGary
09-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Newton is the same size as Big Ben, faster and more agile. As an athlete, he's not as elusive as Vick, but he's a better passer. I think he's a better passier than McNabb and a better athlete than McNabb. . . . . . . I can't think of a similar player. . . . . . . . He has the greatest skillset in a QB that I can think of.

Seems like the QB's who win SB's end up becoming real students of the game and can't be easily confused. . . . Newton is not that AR/Brady/Manning/Aikman/Starr/Montana type. He's not the type who has won SB's.

But. . . . . There's never been one like Newton. There are only a few dominant athletes that have played QB. Hard to say after a list of 4 or 5 that none of them can win. Oh, Ben is in that mold and he won a couple. . . . There just haven't been as many of them. . . .

I like Newton's chances to be great and his chances to win championships.

Brandon494
09-17-2011, 12:55 PM
And the point ...?

Exactly

Brandon494
09-17-2011, 12:59 PM
So you are saying he will need a top 3 defense to be successful?

Youre funny, always jumping to the Black mans aid, when the fuck are you ever gonna take the Brown mans side you racist.

What do you mean I never take the Brown mans side? I've been a long supporter of Ron Mexico.

Brandon494
09-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Newton is the same size as Big Ben, faster and more agile. As an athlete, he's not as elusive as Vick, but he's a better passer. I think he's a better passier than McNabb and a better athlete than McNabb. . . . . . . I can't think of a similar player. . . . . . . . He has the greatest skillset in a QB that I can think of.

Seems like the QB's who win SB's end up becoming real students of the game and can't be easily confused. . . . Newton is not that AR/Brady/Manning/Aikman/Starr/Montana type. He's not the type who has won SB's.

But. . . . . There's never been one like Newton. There are only a few dominant athletes that have played QB. Hard to say after a list of 4 or 5 that none of them can win. Oh, Ben is in that mold and he won a couple. . . . There just haven't been as many of them. . . .

I like Newton's chances to be great and his chances to win championships.

I think he'll have a similar career to Steve McNair.

rbaloha1
09-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Why does this thread have the feel of a KKK meeting?

rbaloha1
09-17-2011, 03:41 PM
I think he'll have a similar career to Steve McNair.

Yup with a happy ending.

Scott Campbell
09-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Bad calls happen all the time, but no one looks at each QB (or every game) that way. Of course its premature to judge Newton, but this hindsight is just a plain waste of time. In fact, its worse than the hindsight of someone who watched the game, its hindsight by press release.

I watched much of that game, and as someone who watched that game I can assure you that call had MAJOR implications. And as someone that watched that game I take it into consideration when evaluating his performance in the game. There is no valid reason not to consider it.

The press release validates what my eyes told me.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Why does this thread have the feel of a KKK meeting?

Never been to a KKK meeting, have to take your word for it.

I'd say the atmosphere is a little like the chicken fights I saw one time.

red
09-17-2011, 04:14 PM
there is one massive difference between cam and big ben. big ben knew how to run a pro style offense. cam has only ever run a pop warner style offense. he's never had to read defenses and adjust to them

cam's gonna shit himself tomorrow trying to figure out what dom is doing out there

Scott Campbell
09-17-2011, 04:22 PM

I figured a skinhead like you would have already been a member.

pbmax
09-17-2011, 05:43 PM
I watched much of that game, and as someone who watched that game I can assure you that call had MAJOR implications. And as someone that watched that game I take it into consideration when evaluating his performance in the game. There is no valid reason not to consider it.

The press release validates what my eyes told me.

Major implications? For his career? Did the bad call then allow him to throw the ball in a manner he will not be able to repeat at sometime?

And did your eyes tell you the performance was a fluke of bad calls, lucky passes and bad pass defense? Or does the kid have some talent?

pbmax
09-17-2011, 05:44 PM
there is one massive difference between cam and big ben. big ben knew how to run a pro style offense. cam has only ever run a pop warner style offense. he's never had to read defenses and adjust to them

cam's gonna shit himself tomorrow trying to figure out what dom is doing out there

I hope you are right. I would be happy to derail Newton for a week then let him surprise others.

Guiness
09-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Major implications? For his career? Did the bad call then allow him to throw the ball in a manner he will not be able to repeat at sometime?

And did your eyes tell you the performance was a fluke of bad calls, lucky passes and bad pass defense? Or does the kid have some talent?

I think he means for the game - without that call, Newton has 330 yards - still a great performance, but not one that people are gushing over.

Over the course of a career, calls come and go, but over the course of single game, one play can make the difference.

What if Henne had thrown a pass that had gone for 89 yards, instead of Brady? Then Brady has 427yds, Henne has 506.

pbmax
09-17-2011, 05:57 PM
I think he means for the game - without that call, Newton has 330 yards - still a great performance, but not one that people are gushing over.

Over the course of a career, calls come and go, but over the course of single game, one play can make the difference.

What if Henne had thrown a pass that had gone for 89 yards, instead of Brady? Then Brady has 427yds, Henne has 506.

Yeah, but that is the point of my complaint. Regardless of the validity of the call, Newton showed he has the talent to play in the NFL. 442 yards or 330 yards, he has it. And one call or one throw that theoretically should not have been made doesn't change what he showed. Henne has previous demonstrated he does not possess the talent or mind to succeed in the NFL.

Its complaining about the wind in a hurricane. Seeing trees but no forest. In other words, missing the point.

rbaloha1
09-17-2011, 06:03 PM
What happens next season if Andrew Luck breaks Newton's rookie passing first game record? Brilliant. The next Manning.

rbaloha1
09-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Yeah, but that is the point of my complaint. Regardless of the validity of the call, Newton showed he has the talent to play in the NFL. 442 yards or 330 yards, he has it. And one call or one throw that theoretically should not have been made doesn't change what he showed. Henne has previous demonstrated he does not possess the talent or mind to succeed in the NFL.

Its complaining about the wind in a hurricane. Seeing trees but no forest. In other words, missing the point.

Nice summary. Its understandable if Newton's performance was in pre season and the board was skeptical (i.e. Ryan Leaf and Joey Harrington). But it was a regular season game.

If Cam has a good performance against the packers -- what will the board say -- TW was hurt/out, blah blah, Capers did not have enough tape, heat, humidity, etc.

rbaloha1
09-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Where would Brady be today if the correct ruling was made on Woodson's fumble?

MadtownPacker
09-17-2011, 06:09 PM
What do you mean I never take the Brown mans side? I've been a long supporter of Ron Mexico.

Ok you got me on a technicality there I guess. Fucker!

MadtownPacker
09-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Never been to a KKK meeting, have to take your word for it.On top of your game even at your old age!!

Guiness
09-17-2011, 06:13 PM

Fair enough, and the question you ask is one I'm curious about as well. Does he have the talent? I didn't watch the game, so I don't know how he achieved it. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, S. Smith obviously had a hell of a night.
You're saying he has it, so you must have watched and been left with the impression that this was not a matter of the planet aligning perfectly for him that day.

His comparison to McNair is interesting.

MadtownPacker
09-17-2011, 06:17 PM

I figured a skinhead like you would have already been a member.
Only to be toppled by a younger, faster player

pbmax
09-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Fair enough, and the question you ask is one I'm curious about as well. Does he have the talent? I didn't watch the game, so I don't know how he achieved it. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, S. Smith obviously had a hell of a night.
You're saying he has it, so you must have watched and been left with the impression that this was not a matter of the planet aligning perfectly for him that day.

His comparison to McNair is interesting.

Just saw the highlights, so I can claim no special insight. But it would seem to bode well for him. He clearly can play the game at a high level.

However, if he doesn't progress, he could simply be Jeff George, Jeff Blake or Derek Andersen, all arm and deep throws and not much else. One game doesn't answer all the questions, it just makes me want to see him.

Guiness
09-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Just saw the highlights, so I can claim no special insight. But it would seem to bode well for him. He clearly can play the game at a high level.

However, if he doesn't progress, he could simply be Jeff George, Jeff Blake or Derek Andersen, all arm and deep throws and not much else. One game doesn't answer all the questions, it just makes me want to see him.

I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow as well; should be interesting.

lol @ JG reference. Forever the poster child for unfulfilled potential. Great (short) runs he had in Oakland then Minnesota.

Jimx29
09-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Newton doesn't finish the game.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Newton doesn't finish the game.
So you're saying he is gonna blow the Pack out and sit early in the 4th?

rbaloha1
09-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Jaws has been wrong before, but for a single play diagnosis, I would be hard pressed to argue with him. If true, the confusing him might be possible on blitzes and pressure.

But, this is still not reading a coverage.

On the pregame show, Eugene Robinson disagrees with you. According to Robinson, the Cardinals blitzed Newton 60 percent of the time. Cam correctly found the hot receiver numerous times.

Eugene mentioned how looks off receivers and comes back to certain receivers.

gbgary
09-18-2011, 12:07 PM
three minutes into the game...and the answer is YES! DAMMIT!!

MadtownPacker
09-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Went down exactly how I thought it would. What about you Brandon?

red
09-18-2011, 03:16 PM
dude proved me wrong

guys got the skills, he'll be a good pro i think

Brandon494
09-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Went down exactly how I thought it would. What about you Brandon?

Nope, didn't think he'd throw for 400+ yards again.

pbmax
09-18-2011, 03:44 PM
dude proved me wrong

guys got the skills, he'll be a good pro i think

If anything, he looked more capable today than his highlights last week. But his misses were intercepted more often.

His next step isn't his brain. Its making his footwork more regular and his throw more reliable as he slides around the pocket.

He is already big enough to stand in, not worry about the hit and deliver the ball.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Nope, didn't think he'd throw for 400+ yards again.
I hear ya, I thought he would only throw two picks.

But I am worried about his knee. Looked a little shaky at the end there. He kept making these hard cuts. Need him to be full strength for the rest of the NFC north.

But your boy did ok man, he made it exciting.

MJZiggy
09-18-2011, 04:15 PM
He's at this place where he will either grow into the role or start to fall apart if he can't get the technical stuff fixed and win some games. It's gonna be an interesting year.

pbmax
09-18-2011, 04:17 PM
He's at this place where he will either grow into the role or start to fall apart if he can't get the technical stuff fixed and win some games. It's gonna be an interesting year.

I think they need to rely on him a little less. More checkdowns and running game, less option stuff with the QB and long throws.

MJZiggy
09-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I think they need to rely on him a little less. More checkdowns and running game, less option stuff with the QB and long throws.

Yup. Not the quarterback, but the situation reminds me of Leinart. I can see it going either way.

rbaloha1
09-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Yup. Not the quarterback, but the situation reminds me of Leinart. I can see it going either way.

C'mon -- what Leinart do consistently in the NFl to warrant that he could be a superstar?

rbaloha1
09-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Stats aside -- Newton performed as expected (both good and bad).

The good was obvious -- poise in the pocket with the ability to make numerous big plays.

The bad was attempting to thread the needle when it was unnecessary (go somewhere else with ball).

In 2 years -- face of the NFL. Cam's weaknesses are correctable (mechanics and forcing the ball).

red
09-18-2011, 06:10 PM
the thing that really impressed me was his poise in the pocket and his willingness to throw down field. a lot of rookies go for the shorter easier dump offs. not cam, he was throwing it all and recognizing and picking up what the d was doing

he just has to get a little more careful with the ball at times. as long as he doesn't get worn out or have his confidence destroyed he'll be a good one

leinart doesn't have the arm or the touch that cam has right now, and he sure as hell doesn't have the ability to take off and run with the ball.

the touch is something i didn't think cam had at all, but a lot of those passes were right on the money

Brandon494
09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Rodgers said he told Newton afterward that he was impressed by the rookie's play.

"I think someone said in the locker room that I'm kind of glad we played him early in the season," Rodgers said, "because when he figures it out fully, he's going to be even tougher to stop."

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
the touch is something i didn't think cam had at all, but a lot of those passes were right on the money I disagree, I thought Cam (funny how we are all on a first name basis now) layed up a lot of catchable balls, nice arc.

pbmax
09-18-2011, 06:59 PM
I disagree, I thought Cam (funny how we are all on a first name basis now) layed up a lot of catchable balls, nice arc.

I think you are both saying the same thing.

And I agree with Red's post. I thought we would see the weaknesses of his game after the highlight reel stuff last week. But he looked as good as advertised. He needs some work on throwing late and throwing into double coverage, but by and large he was very good and mostly made many good decisions, including when to bail.

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I think you are both saying the same thing. butt out

red
09-18-2011, 07:42 PM
butt out

yup we were

i was trying to say that coming into the game i didn't think he had that kind of touch, and now i do think he has it

Scott Campbell
09-18-2011, 08:05 PM
I disagree, I thought Cam (funny how we are all on a first name basis now) layed up a lot of catchable balls, nice arc.

To which team?