PDA

View Full Version : NFC North Quarterback Ratings 2011

Joemailman
09-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Not sure if Superfan was planning on doing this again this year. If so, he can feel free to take over next week.

Aaron Rodgers 132.1 :tup: 27/35 312 3 TD 0 INT
Matt Stafford 118.9 :tup: 24/33 305 3 TD 1 INT
Jay Cutler 107.8 :tup: 22/32 312 2 TD 1 INT
Donovan McNabb :laugh: 47.9 7/15 39 1 TD 1 INT

Next week:

Aaron Rodgers at Carolina
Donovan McNabb vs. Tampa Bay
Jay Cutler at New Orleans
Matt Stafford vs Kansas City

MJZiggy
09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks, I needed the laugh...

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2011, 09:10 PM
I love this thread. (It's nice when you have the QB with the best regular season passer rating ever and best postseason passer rating ever).

superfan
09-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Nice work Mr. Mailman, thanks for carrying the torch. I also enjoy seeing these ratings, and those goofy emoticons make me smile.

So who's going to compute ESPN's Total QBR every week? Anyone have an available supercomputer laying around unused?

pbmax
09-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Nice work Mr. Mailman, thanks for carrying the torch. I also enjoy seeing these ratings, and those goofy emoticons make me smile.

So who's going to compute ESPN's Total QBR every week? Anyone have an available supercomputer laying around unused?

It only works if you have Gruden and Jaws alongside it saying things like "he's clutch" and a "real professional" as the final data input. But I suppose we could swap Harlan and Mad for those two and get better results.

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 07:23 AM

Have Partial do it. He can write the code, but you'll only be able to see the results on a Mac, because, well, PCs suck.

http://kensegall.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/mac-vs-pc.png

MJZiggy
09-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Have Partial do it. He can write the code, but you'll only be able to see the results on a Mac, because, well, PCs suck.

http://kensegall.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/mac-vs-pc.png

Macs don't play well with others. But be careful, there are other considerations here. Isn't that the dude who wound up with Drew Barrymore?

Joemailman
09-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Week 2

Aaron Rodgers 126.4 :worship: (Last week 132.1)
Matt Stafford 112.0 :tup: (Last week 118.9)
Jay Cutler 84.1 :neutral: (Last week 107.8)
Donovan McNabb 71.3 :lol: (Last week 47.9)

Week 3 matchups:

Aaron Rodgers at Chicago
Matt Stafford at Minnesota
Jay Cutler vs. Green Bay
Donovan McNabb vs. Detroit

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Rodgers has a 119.9 rating in week 2, and his rating for the year goes down. He's in the zone man.
:)

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2011, 01:59 AM
Against teams not named Chicago, he's had a QB rating of 111+ in his last 10 full games.

Fritz
09-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Macs don't play well with others. But be careful, there are other considerations here. Isn't that the dude who wound up with Drew Barrymore?

That bastard.

Upnorth
09-21-2011, 09:59 AM
I love the wild swings in ratings at the beginning of the year. I am so glad that Cutler's rating is going to dip alot after this week. I will be very impressed if Rodgers can stay the same against the bears D.

pbmax
09-21-2011, 11:18 AM
That bastard.

It was a movie Fritz. Just make believe. Go to your happy place.

Edit: WRONG. I think the movie was Jimmy Fallon.

Edit: WRONG. Pretty sure Fallon is an actor, not a movie.

mraynrand
09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Against teams not named Chicago, he's had a QB rating of 111+ in his last 10 full games.

Isn't it PBmax who calls the cover 2 Stubby's kryptonite? I hope we can get Jimmy Olsen (not Greg Olsen) to remove the kryptonite before Stubby arrives this week.

pbmax
09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Isn't it PBmax who calls the cover 2 Stubby's kryptonite? I hope we can get Jimmy Olsen (not Greg Olsen) to remove the kryptonite before Stubby arrives this week.

I would love to take credit for it, but at this point, I probably would get it wrong.

denverYooper
09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Cutler's rating has generally been mid-to-hi 80s. Except his first year with the Bears, when 26 INTs dropped it down to 76.8. He's right on his lifetime avg of 84.3.

He was 88.5, 88.1, and 86.0 playing behind a good line in Denver and with some pretty good receivers (Marshall, Walker, Scheffler) and the Teflon Don's running game.

He's been worse with Chicago to this point and I will not be surprised to see his numbers settle in the lower 80s this year without Olsen to throw to, unless someone else in that receiving corps steps up.

AtlPackFan
09-21-2011, 11:40 AM
pbmax, I've seen Fallon in movies, I don't think he's an actor either.

Joemailman
09-21-2011, 03:56 PM

I would love to take credit for it, but at this point, I probably would get it wrong.

I thought it was Waldo who came up with the kryptonite comment.

Joemailman
09-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Week 3

Aaron Rodgers 120.9 :tup: (Last week 126.4) 1st overall
Matt Stafford 110.7 :tup: (Last week 112.0) 3rd overall
Jay Cutler 82.4 :neutral: (Last week 84.1) 19th overall
Donovan McNabb 78.1 :lol: (Last week 71.3) 26th overall

Rodgers and Stafford continue to be elite despite some slight slippage in numbers.
Cutler and McNabb settling into mediocrity territory.

Week 4:

Rodgers vs. Denver
McNabb at Kansas City
Cutler vs. Carolina
Stafford at Dallas

Upnorth
10-01-2011, 09:44 AM
So I predict that Stafford plays average against the dallas d and his rate goes down. Cutler will stay about the same. McNadd will go up, if he can't play well against the KC d the season is over in Min. Rodgers will improve a point or two, but will have to settle for low the 120's as a rating.

mraynrand
10-01-2011, 09:50 AM

I thought it was Waldo who came up with the kryptonite comment.

Looks like Jimmy Olsen got Lovie to start out in cover 3. Thanks Jimmy! Stubby beat the kryptonite as well, with a steady dose of run calls. Too bad Grant got hurt early or I think Stubby would have ridden him exclusively over Starks. Stubby should get a lot of credit for the win at Chicago.

mraynrand
10-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Week 3

Aaron Rodgers 120.9 :tup: (Last week 126.4) 1st overall
Matt Stafford 110.7 :tup: (Last week 112.0) 3rd overall
Jay Cutler 82.4 :neutral: (Last week 84.1) 19th overall
Donovan McNabb 78.1 :lol: (Last week 71.3) 26th overall

Rodgers and Stafford continue to be elite despite some slight slippage in numbers.
Cutler and McNabb settling into mediocrity territory.

Week 4:

Rodgers vs. Denver
McNabb at Kansas City
Cutler vs. Carolina
Stafford at Dallas

I've been watching McNabb pretty carefully this year. I really think there is something to the stamina issue. He looks whipped every fourth quarter. He's slinging more than throwing and as the game wears on, his accuracy - not so great to begin with - really starts to diminish. Key to beating Minnesota is to pound McNabb early. Give up the 100 yards and a TD to Peterson, but make sure McNabb is exhausted as quickly as possible. Then you can almost dare them to pass.

pbmax
10-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I've been watching McNabb pretty carefully this year. I really think there is something to the stamina issue. He looks whipped every fourth quarter. He's slinging more than throwing and as the game wears on, his accuracy - not so great to begin with - really starts to diminish. Key to beating Minnesota is to pound McNabb early. Give up the 100 yards and a TD to Peterson, but make sure McNabb is exhausted as quickly as possible. Then you can almost dare them to pass.

I read he had a rib injury in the Patriots Super Bowl caused by a hit early in the game. But I agree, very early in games he seems to be spent.

mraynrand
10-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I read he had a rib injury in the Patriots Super Bowl caused by a hit early in the game.

There's something to that 'beat the stuffing out of the opposition' strategy that works - at least up to a point. Was watching that Jerome Brown/Reggie White Football life program and people were pretty intimidated by that one-two punch. Man did those two abuse quarterbacks playing in Philly. I would not want to have been sacked on that asphalt parking lot field at Veteran's Stadium. Painful.

channtheman
10-01-2011, 06:00 PM
There's something to that 'beat the stuffing out of the opposition' strategy that works - at least up to a point. Was watching that Jerome Brown/Reggie White Football life program and people were pretty intimidated by that one-two punch. Man did those two abuse quarterbacks playing in Philly. I would not want to have been sacked on that asphalt parking lot field at Veteran's Stadium. Painful.

And back then the NFL wasn't protecting QB's like they are today. Imagine the (now) late hits and helmet to helmet hits that must have occurred.

pbmax
10-01-2011, 06:41 PM
And back then the NFL wasn't protecting QB's like they are today. Imagine the (now) late hits and helmet to helmet hits that must have occurred.

This is the part of the story that is hard to remember. Long before concussion discussion was all the rage, there weren't that many players trying to knock players out with shots to the head. Look what Charles Martin and Turkey Jones did, they grabbed the QB and tried to pile drive them through the turf.

During the White and Brown era (and prior to that in the 80s) the focus was on multiple players taking shots to the QB. Which led to the "in the grasp" rule, which was controversial in its day. A form of that rule still exists. And at the time, there was the same bleating they were trying to turn the game into soccer and that the league should put a dress on the QB.

Peter King had a piece last year on how the hitting in the game has changed, from form tackling to kill shots. His source was from the League Office and I don't remember the name but it was a former player or coach. They said that if you watch film of other eras, there were far fewer head shots than there are today.

The game evolved; rules changed and techniques evolved. With an emphasis on putting a hat on the ball, the obvious consequence was that more hits with the top of the helmet would occur.

Packer fans must remember Chuck Cecil, whose kill shots landed him on the cover of Sports Illustrated around 1989, 90 or so. He was the exception at the time and the reason was obvious. Every observer knew Cecil was a limited player who if he missed his target, was useless.

It used to be that making a receiver pay for going across the middle meant getting clobbered by a shoulder or arm or two players at once. Now, its accepted that some DB is coming in like Cecil, Darius or Ryan Clark and hitting with the head first.

The real twisted thing is this: the one weapon the league had to combat this kind of recklessness was intensive coaching. Coaching and practicing how to form tackle. With the developments of the last 30 years and the new CBA, there is far less of that now. And the better helmets get, the more they will get used to bring down ballcarriers.

Guiness
10-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Scud Cecil's strongpoint was not sanity!

There is one video of him on Youtube making a pretty vicious tackle of a Bears RB. Watch him after the play is over!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT14rYHV8CQ

pbmax
10-01-2011, 11:09 PM
That was actually one of his better ones. At least that guy had the ball and went down, Chuck didn't miss or glance off.

Who was #59 that got blown to smithereens by the fullback #25?

esoxx
10-01-2011, 11:30 PM
That was actually one of his better ones. At least that guy had the ball and went down, Chuck didn't miss or glance off.

Who was #59 that got blown to smithereens by the fullback #25?

John Anderson

Upnorth
10-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I am looking forward to the new stats for rodgers, what a game he had.

gbgary
10-02-2011, 09:04 PM
chuck cecil would hit guys so hard he'd injur himself sometimes.

Joemailman
10-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Week 4

Aaron Rodgers 124.6 :glug: (Last week 120.9) 1st overall
Matt Stafford 100.3 :grin: (Last week 110.7) 7th overall
Donovan McNabb 80.9 :neutral: (Last week 78.1) 18th overall
Jay Cutler 77.8 :lol: (Last week 82.4) 25th overall

Rodgers somehow is still getting better.
Stafford slipping a bit.
McNabb takes 3rd with very modest improvement.
Cutler is sliding.

Week 5:

Rodgers at Atlanta
Stafford vs. Chicago
NcNabb vs. Arizona
Cutler at Detroit

hoosier
10-03-2011, 08:25 AM
At Chicago will be an interesting test for Detroit and Stafford. His stats weren't all that impressive against Dallas but what a comeback. Will Cutler benefit from Detroit's relatively weak secondary or will he get planted in that miserable Soldier Field turf by the Lions' D line?

Joemailman
10-03-2011, 08:38 AM
That game is at Detroit on Monday Night. I think protecting Cutler will be a major problem for the Bears.

pbmax
10-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Brutal Week 5. Rodgers plays well, throws 2 TDs, 66.7% completion rate and 369 yards. And drop 2 points in your Quarterback Rating.

mraynrand
10-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Brutal Week 5. Rodgers plays well, throws 2 TDs, 66.7% completion rate and 369 yards. And drop 2 points in your Quarterback Rating.

But he rose six quatloos in his Total QBR™!

Joemailman
10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Week 5

Aaron Rodgers 122.9 :glug: (Last week 124.6) 1st overall
Matt Stafford 101.4 :tup: (Last week 100.3) 6th overall
Jay Cutler 82.7 :neutral: (Last week 77.8) 17th overall
Donovan McNabb 80.0 :neutral: (Last week 80.9) 20th overall

Rodgers continues to make the outstanding look almost routine.
Stafford and Calvin Johnson a dynamic duo.
McNabb and Cutler define mediocrity.

Week 6:

Rodgers vs. St Louis
Stafford vs. San Francisco
NcNabb at Chicago
Cutler vs. Minnesota.

Look for Rodgers to lengthen his lead against St. Louis while Stafford deals with a tough 49er defense.

Look for Cutler and McNabb to put the nation to sleep Sunday Night.

smuggler
10-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Cutler had one of the best games of his career. It's not his fault the Bears oline literally cannot block a single dude. The Lions did not blitz a fifth man all game long, and still there were people running free and terrorizing Cutler. I think 3 of every 4 throws were under duress and he still had a good game.

Guiness
10-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Cutler had one of the best games of his career. It's not his fault the Bears oline literally cannot block a single dude. The Lions did not blitz a fifth man all game long, and still there were people running free and terrorizing Cutler. I think 3 of every 4 throws were under duress and he still had a good game.

Mmmm. And outside of Wynn, we made them look like world beaters.

smuggler
10-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Our linemen all use finesse moves. That will change if we can get Neal out there.

bobblehead
10-12-2011, 04:36 AM
This is the part of the story that is hard to remember. Long before concussion discussion was all the rage, there weren't that many players trying to knock players out with shots to the head. Look what Charles Martin and Turkey Jones did, they grabbed the QB and tried to pile drive them through the turf.

During the White and Brown era (and prior to that in the 80s) the focus was on multiple players taking shots to the QB. Which led to the "in the grasp" rule, which was controversial in its day. A form of that rule still exists. And at the time, there was the same bleating they were trying to turn the game into soccer and that the league should put a dress on the QB.

Peter King had a piece last year on how the hitting in the game has changed, from form tackling to kill shots. His source was from the League Office and I don't remember the name but it was a former player or coach. They said that if you watch film of other eras, there were far fewer head shots than there are today.

The game evolved; rules changed and techniques evolved. With an emphasis on putting a hat on the ball, the obvious consequence was that more hits with the top of the helmet would occur.

Packer fans must remember Chuck Cecil, whose kill shots landed him on the cover of Sports Illustrated around 1989, 90 or so. He was the exception at the time and the reason was obvious. Every observer knew Cecil was a limited player who if he missed his target, was useless.

It used to be that making a receiver pay for going across the middle meant getting clobbered by a shoulder or arm or two players at once. Now, its accepted that some DB is coming in like Cecil, Darius or Ryan Clark and hitting with the head first.

The real twisted thing is this: the one weapon the league had to combat this kind of recklessness was intensive coaching. Coaching and practicing how to form tackle. With the developments of the last 30 years and the new CBA, there is far less of that now. And the better helmets get, the more they will get used to bring down ballcarriers.

Put them back in leather helmets. In the never ending attempt to protect the players, they have allowed defenders to get ridiculously aggressive (since they are dictating the contact).

vince
10-12-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm sure there were never any concussions when they donned the leather.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/bilde.jpg

Upnorth
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
put spikes on the qb's helmet, that will limit head shots!

pbmax
10-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Our linemen all use finesse moves. That will change if we can get Neal out there.

I don't think Raji, Pickett or Wilson are using much finesse out there. It just isn't working.

pbmax
10-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Put them back in leather helmets. In the never ending attempt to protect the players, they have allowed defenders to get ridiculously aggressive (since they are dictating the contact).

Its the Law of Unintended Consequences. The current helmet shell was a reaction to skull fractures and lacerations, which it prevents quite well. Deceleration is another matter. Maybe a mobile HANS device from NASCAR.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/Hans_-_head_and_neck_safety_system.svg/300px-Hans_-_head_and_neck_safety_system.svg.png

Smeefers
10-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Its the Law of Unintended Consequences. The current helmet shell was a reaction to skull fractures and lacerations, which it prevents quite well. Deceleration is another matter. Maybe a mobile HANS device from NASCAR.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/Hans_-_head_and_neck_safety_system.svg/300px-Hans_-_head_and_neck_safety_system.svg.png

And matching skirts.

Noodle
10-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Smeefers, I know you're probably joking, but I get tired of all the "put them in skirts" comments whenever the NFL puts in a rule change for player safety.

Here's the deal -- you, me, and anyone else posting on this board would not survive a single hit from an NFL player. Seriously. NFL players are just a different breed of cat than us regular folks

But while they may be bigger and faster than the normal dude, their brains are not any better padded or immune from injury or concussion than my daughter's.

So I as a fan will never criticize the NFL for trying to increase safety. The players may do so, because it's their lives on the line. But not me.

cheesner
10-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Smeefers, I know you're probably joking, but I get tired of all the "put them in skirts" comments whenever the NFL puts in a rule change for player safety.

Here's the deal -- you, me, and anyone else posting on this board would not survive a single hit from an NFL player. Seriously. NFL players are just a different breed of cat than us regular folks

But while they may be bigger and faster than the normal dude, their brains are not any better padded or immune from injury or concussion than my daughter's.

So I as a fan will never criticize the NFL for trying to increase safety. The players may do so, because it's their lives on the line. But not me.
You never know. Maybe smeefers is drawn somehow to men wearing traditionally woman's clothing.

I recall another thread where he suggested some of the packers should be wearing bras and panties. Bras to help support overdevoped pecs and panties because they were better for movement and breathable fabrics. Come to think about it, he was also demanding more lockerroom coverage after games. Hmmm.

Noodle
10-12-2011, 07:58 PM
The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog (Cheesner) has caused me to see things in ways I had not thought of before.

I'm sure he's right -- Smeefers just wants a league full of RuPauls.

RashanGary
10-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Smeefers is about 6'5" 300 lbs and is a former soldier. He's 30 years old. He'd last a couple plays.

MJZiggy
10-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Smeefers is about 6'5" 300 lbs and is a former soldier. He's 30 years old. He'd last a couple plays.

And he has Smeefers for a username?

cheesner
10-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Is that in heels?

Smeefers
10-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Is that in heels?

I have heels in my steel toed boots... so... yes? Smeefers came about because a puerto rican buddy couldn't say smith, he said smeef... and that sort of morphed into smeefers.

To clear things up, I was joking. But are you seriously suggesting that we should be putting the mobile HANS device on all the players?

I have no problem with protecting players, I think it's a good idea. What I think is a bad idea is putting so much crap on them that they can barely move. I also don't like defenses being completely taken out of the game. I like seeing guys getting blown up. If I wanted to see an all offensive show, I'd watch arena football.

Fritz
10-13-2011, 06:48 AM
I'm sure there were never any concussions when they donned the leather.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/bilde.jpg

What the hell did those leather helmets do, anyway? I suppose they'd keep someone from ripping your ear off, but were they really supposed to protect your head somehow? Anybody know what the original logic of leather helmets was?

Iron Mike
10-13-2011, 07:03 AM
What I think is a bad idea is putting so much crap on them that they can barely move.

http://images.wikia.com/athfwiki/images/5/5c/EDork.png

TennesseePackerBacker
10-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Winner ^^

denverYooper
10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
What the hell did those leather helmets do, anyway? I suppose they'd keep someone from ripping your ear off, but were they really supposed to protect your head somehow? Anybody know what the original logic of leather helmets was?

Maybe they keep your head together if it cracks up, so you don't lose many parts.

pbmax
10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Band-Aid technology has come a long way since the 40s. That's gonna hurt to pull off.

Bossman641
10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Rodgers is the first player ever with a QB rating of 110 or higher in 6 straight games.

hoosier
10-17-2011, 04:00 PM

My best guess is either protect against cauliflower ear or style points (looks like then fashionable aviator caps). Speaking of functionally useless leather helmets, the color scheme on Michigan's helmet is an imitation of the "winged helmet" popularized in the 30s by Ohio State and Indiana (oh, the irony: Michigan's most recognizable icon is an imitation of OSU or, even worse, IU). The top is IU ca. 1933 and the bottom image is Michigan State (looks like a bizarre futuristic vision from the 1940s).

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9195/iuwinged.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9053/msuwinged.jpg

Guiness
10-17-2011, 04:06 PM
phsyche! I thought there was going to be a QB ratings update for Week 5, but instead get a pictures of college football! :)

hoosier
10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Another thoughtless threadjack.

Iron Mike
10-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Another thoughtless threadjack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Y0wSe_G3g&feature=related

Bossman641
10-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Week 6

Aaron Rodgers 122.5 - 1st overall
Matt Stafford 98.2 - 4th overall
Jay Cutler 87.8 - 14th overall
Donovan McNabb 82.9 - 19th overall

Upnorth
10-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Bossman's avatar for president!!

Oh yeah, Arod is a good qb also. On the other hand how about that avatar

swede
10-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Do not disappoint...waiting with bated breath!

Or baited breath if you are a Vikings fan keeping the nightcrawlers warm.

Joemailman
10-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Week 7

Aaron Rodgers 125.7 1st overall :glug: Last week: 122.5 - 1st overall
Matt Stafford 95.5 6th overall :smile: Last week: 98.2 - 4th overall
Jay Cutler 84.0 16th overall :neutral: Last week: 87.8 - 14th overall
Donovan McNabb DNP 82.9 18th overall :neutral: Last week: 82.9 - 19th overall

Christian Ponder Does Not Qualify 63.1

Next week:

Aaron Rodgers: Bye
Matt Stafford at Denver
Jay Cutler: Bye
Christian Ponder at Carolina

woodbuck27
10-24-2011, 06:07 AM
[QUOTE=Joemailman;614019]Not sure if Superfan was planning on doing this again this year. If so, he can feel free to take over next week.

Next week:

Matt Stafford vs Kansas City[/QUOTE

AR is awesome! Next week Carolina.

The Panthers are doing wel this season and they have to be seriously game planned for. I do NOT want to see the Pathers upset the Packers.

hoosier
10-24-2011, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=Joemailman;614019]Not sure if Superfan was planning on doing this again this year. If so, he can feel free to take over next week.

Next week:

Matt Stafford vs Kansas City[/QUOTE

AR is awesome! Next week Carolina.

The Panthers are doing wel this season and they have to be seriously game planned for. I do NOT want to see the Pathers upset the Packers.

Me neither. Fortunately, the Packers already played the Panthers in week 1.

Upnorth
10-24-2011, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=woodbuck27;626823]

Me neither. Fortunately, the Packers already played the Panthers in week 1.

I beleive we have mentioned that the internet is slow in Canada eh.

Joemailman
11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Week 8

Aaron Rodgers 125.7 1st overall :glug: Last week: 125.7 - 1st overall
Matt Stafford 99.1 5th overall :smile: Last week: 95.5 - 6th overall
Jay Cutler 84.0 15th overall :neutral: Last week: 84.0 - 16th overall
Donovan McNabb DNP 82.9 17th overall :neutral: Last week: 82.9 - 18th overall

Christian Ponder Does Not Qualify 77.5 Last week 63.1

Rodgers and Cutler were off in week 8. Stafford had his best game in a while. Ponder played well and should continue to improve.

Week 9:

Aaron Rodgers at San Diego
Jay Cutler at Philadelphia
Stafford and Ponder have bye week.

pbmax
11-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Rodgers is resting on his laurels this week.

Upnorth
11-02-2011, 10:14 AM

He has earned the right, however I feel sorry for Laurel, ARod is not a small guy and would get heavy after a week (wonk wonk wonk)

MadScientist
11-02-2011, 10:48 AM

He has earned the right, however I feel sorry for Laurel, ARod is not a small guy and would get heavy after a week (wonk wonk wonk)

It's plural, Rodgers was resting on several Laurels last week. He was carried around on a litter hoisted only by people named Laurel.

Joemailman
11-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Week 9

Aaron Rodgers 129.1 1st overall :glug: Last week: 125.7 - 1st overall
Matt Stafford 99.1 4th overall :tup: Last week: 99.1 - 5th overall
Jay Cutler 85.6 14th overall :neutral: Last week: 84.0 - 15th overall
Donovan McNabb DNP 82.9 19th overall :neutral: Last week: 82.9 - 17th overall

Christian Ponder Does Not Qualify 77.5 :neutral: Last week 77.5

Can we just give Arod the trophy now?

Week 10:

Aaron Rodgers vs. Minnesota
Matt Stafford at Chicago
Jay Cutler vs. Detroit
Christian Ponder at Green Bay

vince
11-08-2011, 08:18 PM
I think I still remember when 99.1 was really good.

channtheman
11-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Isn't it crazy? Guys like Stafford, Brady, Brees who are all having excellent years look average compared to Rodgers.

gbgary
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Week 9

Aaron Rodgers 129.1 1st overall :glug: Last week: 125.7 - 1st overall
Matt Stafford 99.1 4th overall :tup: Last week: 99.1 - 5th overall
Jay Cutler 85.6 14th overall :neutral: Last week: 84.0 - 15th overall
Donovan McNabb DNP 82.9 19th overall :neutral: Last week: 82.9 - 17th overall

Christian Ponder Does Not Qualify 77.5 :neutral: Last week 77.5

Can we just give Arod the trophy now?

Week 10:

Aaron Rodgers vs. Minnesota
Matt Stafford at Chicago
Jay Cutler vs. Detroit
Christian Ponder at Green Bay

Isn't it crazy? Guys like Stafford, Brady, Brees who are all having excellent years look average compared to Rodgers.

yup. that is insane. AR is on a completely different level this season. hope it continues. lot's of interesting games this weekend. some tough ones to pick.

Guiness
11-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Crazy is that it was 125 last week...and went up!

channtheman
11-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Crazy is that it was 125 last week...and went up!

And the week before it went up 3-4 points as well.

woodbuck27
11-09-2011, 04:59 AM
[QUOTE=hoosier;626835]

I beleive we have mentioned that the internet is slow in Canada eh.

I knew we we're playing them sometime. Just
wasn't aware when I posted that, that they we're behind us.

woodbuck27
11-09-2011, 05:01 AM
Aaron Rodgers ! Brialliant !! Utterly amazing. In a class by himself. Easily now, the BEST QB in the NFL. Putting up numbers over a short term stretch like I cannot re-call and we may never see again.

I'm enjoying it.

Enjoy it Packer fans.

Thank GOD he's a Green Bay Packer.

GO Aaron ... GO PACKERS !

Upnorth
11-09-2011, 08:51 AM
So I think ARod is ahving one of the greatest seasons ever, however Brady's 2007 rating for the first 8 games was 130, then fell in the cold weather. I hope that does not happen to ARod but 5 of the remaining 8 games are pretty much garrenteed to be shitty weather. That is the only thing that can slow down this O.

Joemailman
11-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Week 10

Aaron Rodgers 130.7 1st overall :wow: Last week: 129.1 1st overall
Matt Stafford 89.9 9th overall :grin: Last week: 99.1 4th overall
Jay Cutler 84.4 12th overall :neutral: Last week: 85.6 14th overall
Christian Ponder 69.8 DNQ-Would be 31st overall :oops: Last week 77.5

At some point, it will be tough for Rodgers to keep getting better. Stafford had a real drop. Cutler didn't need to do much. Ponder had no chance against Packers.

Week 11:

Aaron Rodgers vs. Tampa Bay
Matt Stafford vs. Carolina
Jay Cutler vs. San Diego
Christian Ponder vs. Oakland

Upnorth
11-15-2011, 09:18 AM
I dont know how this can keep going. I want it to, but it is unreal, completly unreal. What is teh greatest season in history, 120 by Manning in a dome I think. He has a 10 point lead on him outdoors!

smuggler
11-15-2011, 09:27 AM
This is what Brady had going in 2007 and Manning in 2004. Godly numbers. The amazing thing is that Rodgers does it with so many fewer pass attempts.

Joemailman
11-15-2011, 09:28 AM
The cold weather didn't didn't slow him down much last year. He had 16 TD passes and 2 INT's in the last 8 games, that that included missing a game and a half. His pace right now is about 50-5. The TD passes might slow down a bit, but I could see 45-5.

superfan
11-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Comparing Rodgers to the NFC North is not even fair.

Rodgers compared to the best full seasons of current and future hall of famers:

2011 Aaron Rodgers 130.7
2004 Peyton Manning 121.1
2007 Tom Brady 117.2
1994 Steve Young 112.8
1989 Joe Montana 112.4
1999 Kurt Warner 109.2
1947 Otto Graham 109.2
1984 Dan Marino 108.9
1943 Sid Luckman 107.5
2009 Brett Favre 107.2
1966 Bart Starr 105
1971 Roger Staubach 104.8
1963 Y.A. Tittle 104.8
1990 Jim Kelly 101.2
1993 Troy Aikman 99
1968 Len Dawson 98.6
1965 Johnny Unitas 97.4
1990 Warren Moon 96.8
1993 John Elway 92.8
1947 Sammy Baugh 92
1975 Fran Tarkenton 91.8
1970 Sonny Jurgensen 91.5
1961 George Blanda 91.3
1971 Bob Griese 90.9
1981 Dan Fouts 90.6
1960 Norm Van Brocklin 86.5
1978 Terry Bradshaw 84.7
1951 Bob Waterfield 81.8
1954 Bobby Layne 77.3

Joemailman
11-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Otto Graham and Sid Luckman having passer ratings over 100 in the 1940's is pretty damn impressive. Surprised Fouts highest was 90. Elway 92.

smuggler
11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Elways stats were always below the curve. He made his name with good comebacks and clutch performance, but other than that and some decent rushing production, he was pretty "meh", supporting cast notwithstanding.

superfan
11-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Surprised Fouts highest was 90.

Me too, Fouts has always been one of my favorite players. He managed a 93.3 rating in 9 games in 1982 and 92.5 in 10 games in 1983. He only had 3 seasons in which he played in all 16 games, and in those seasons his INTs were 17 once and 24 twice. All those picks are a drag on the rating.

smuggler
11-15-2011, 02:15 PM
That was a different era, though. INTs were more accepted then, so QBs didn't try to prevent them as much.

Guiness
11-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Could've won a lot of money in Vegas betting that his QBR would go up again this week.

Does anyone have his cumulative rating for the year?

Upnorth
11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Could've won a lot of money in Vegas betting that his QBR would go up again this week.

Does anyone have his cumulative rating for the year?

Unless I dont understand your question it is 130.7, or do you mean for all his years?

Upnorth
11-15-2011, 02:40 PM
So Cumulativley he is (reg season)

1218 Comp, 1847 Attemps, 15263 yrds 114 tds 34 ints. I punched this in to an online calc and got 104.3 passer rating.

Guiness
11-15-2011, 02:47 PM
No, I did mean this year. I thought it was cumulative, but wasn't sure.

So, the reason his rating keeps climbing is because of the shitty display in week 3, with a rating of 111, which made his rating dip to 120:mrgreen:

Life is just a big bowl of cherries, eh?

Deputy Nutz
11-15-2011, 02:50 PM
That was a different era, though. INTs were more accepted then, so QBs didn't try to prevent them as much.

They way the game was refereed made a big difference as well. Up until the early 2000s CBs could put their hands on receiver down field and not get holding penalties, it was either a pass intereference call or it was a good defensive play.

It was after the 2002 AFC playoff game when the Patriots' defensive backs beat the living shit out of the Colts wide receivers and Payton Manning broke down in tears arguing for calls. That is when the game effectively changed, not to mention when the refs took away bump and run coverage in the early 90s.

Guiness
11-15-2011, 03:06 PM
They way the game was refereed made a big difference as well. Up until the early 2000s CBs could put their hands on receiver down field and not get holding penalties, it was either a pass intereference call or it was a good defensive play.

It was after the 2002 AFC playoff game when the Patriots' defensive backs beat the living shit out of the Colts wide receivers and Payton Manning broke down in tears arguing for calls. That is when the game effectively changed, not to mention when the refs took away bump and run coverage in the early 90s.

I remember that game. It was really bad, it looked like Hack-a-Shaqu had come to the NFL.

Of course, it went both ways a bit more as well. Irving made a living abusing corners with a well timed push-off.

pbmax
11-15-2011, 03:11 PM

It was the point of emphasis for illegal contact after the five yard bump zone that was enacted after the Patriots defensive effort.

The five yard bump zone itself was installed in the late 70s I think (Mel Blount rule?). Bump and run remained (Raiders and Browns still played it) but it became much more common to see zone or press coverage like Sanders, Bailey and Wood play. With only one bump, most of bump and run matched press anyway.

Nutz, do you remember what rule was changed/emphasized in the 90s that altered it again?

sharpe1027
11-15-2011, 03:16 PM
It was the point of emphasis for illegal contact after the five yard bump zone that was enacted after the Patriots defensive effort.

The five yard bump zone itself was installed in the late 70s I think (Mel Blount rule?). Bump and run remained (Raiders and Browns still played it) but it became much more common to see zone or press coverage like Sanders, Bailey and Wood play.

Nutz, do you remember what rule was changed/emphasized in the 90s that altered it again?

My recollection was that around 97 they "emphasized" the 5 yard rule that had been put in place in the 70's.

Deputy Nutz
11-15-2011, 03:20 PM
It was early 90s because everyone made a big deal about the lack of corners been able to play bump and run and looking for corners that excelled in zone coverage schemes. Mostly it meant that defensive backs couldn't engage in hand fighting while the ball was in the air. Defense was then given some leway in the late 90s and early 2000s to get a little more physical, but apparently the fans wanted offense, and the fans are getting offense minus the running game.

Guiness
11-15-2011, 08:24 PM
There was a thread about this a while back - when Harris was still here, and suddenly seemed to be getting a pile of penalties. I'm too lazy to dig it up now, but did find the rule at the time, and as it is written there is no 5 yard rule, the defender is not allowed to make contact with the receiver past the LOS.

So, they can decide to emphasize it, and make life harder on the DB's anytime they want.

channtheman
11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Week 10

Aaron Rodgers 130.7 1st overall :wow: Last week: 129.1 1st overall
Matt Stafford 89.9 9th overall :grin: Last week: 99.1 4th overall
Jay Cutler 84.4 12th overall :neutral: Last week: 85.6 14th overall
Christian Ponder 69.8 DNQ-Would be 31st overall :oops: Last week 77.5

At some point, it will be tough for Rodgers to keep getting better. Stafford had a real drop. Cutler didn't need to do much. Ponder had no chance against Packers.

Week 11:

Aaron Rodgers vs. Tampa Bay
Matt Stafford vs. Carolina
Jay Cutler vs. San Diego
Christian Ponder vs. Oakland

Aaron Rodgers 128.8 1st overall
Matt Stafford 93.4 8th overall
Jay Cutler 85.7 12th overall
Christian Ponder 67.3 32nd overall (only Blaine Gabbert is worse)

Week 12:

Aaron Rodgers at Detroit
Matt Stafford vs Green Bay
Jay Cutler will not play
Chistian Ponder at Atlanta

HarveyWallbangers
11-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I think the bump rules have been in effect for awhile, but the Patriots (one team) got away with mugging the Colts receivers, and that is why people were up in arms at the time. Most teams haven't been getting away with it for a long time. I remember Terrell Buckley and our corners constantly getting flagged for it when we played the Cowboys in the mid 90s? (Yet, Michael Irvin always got away with pushoffs.) Craig Newsome, Tyrone Williams, Mike McKenzie all got flagged a lot. I figure them letting Chuck get away with a PI or hold now and then is sweet revenge for our CBs never getting away with much in the 90s. :)

pbmax
11-21-2011, 09:59 AM
There was a thread about this a while back - when Harris was still here, and suddenly seemed to be getting a pile of penalties. I'm too lazy to dig it up now, but did find the rule at the time, and as it is written there is no 5 yard rule, the defender is not allowed to make contact with the receiver past the LOS.

So, they can decide to emphasize it, and make life harder on the DB's anytime they want.

That is not the case, a defender can make contact with the receiver within 5 yards and its been that way since 1978 and the Blount rule.

The most recent alteration was a re-emphasis after the Patriots-Colts game about illegal contact (before the throw, after 5 yards).

Nutz and a few others seem to remember a change or emphasis in the early 90s that I do not recall.

Joemailman
11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
That is not the case, a defender can make contact with the receiver within 5 yards and its been that way since 1978 and the Blount rule.

The most recent alteration was a re-emphasis after the Patriots-Colts game about illegal contact (before the throw, after 5 yards).

Nutz and a few others seem to remember a change or emphasis in the early 90s that I do not recall.

There was a change in 1994 which had some contradictory language which was then fixed in 2004.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1840261

What was determined was the illegal contact rule was poorly worded. In 1994, the Competition Committee grew tired of cornerbacks mugging receivers and put in new wording to open up the receiver's ability to get away from physical cornerbacks. But the problem was that some of the language that was inserted was contradictory.

In one part you had the new language reading: "If the receiver attempts to evade the defender, the defender cannot chuck him or extend an arm(s) to cut off or hook him, causing contact that impedes and restricts the receiver as the play develops."

But there was also a passage that was inserted for fairness to the cornerback or safety in coverage who banged into a receiver and it read: "Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against the impending contact caused by a receiver."

The first passage above is saying that defenders cannot impede a receiver after five yards if the receiver is trying to evade them, however, the second passage actually gives defenders some leeway to impede receivers.

The idea of the rule was to allow unimpeded running by a receiver after five yards. In sentence No. 1, the defender can use his hands or arms "only" to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. The second sentence gives the defender a license to use contact.

The extra contact has had a significant impact on passing offenses. Last season was the worst passing numbers in 11 years. The average team passed for 200.45 yards per game, lowest since 1992. The average completion dropped to 11.3, down from 12.1 in 1998.

The intent of the 1994 "chuck" revision was violated. Out goes the word only and into the rule book goes language that tells defenders not to restrict or impede a receiver "in any way." Defenders can get away with incidental contact but not get away with any intentional contact.

pbmax
11-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Nice call by Nutz. I didn't remember that change at all.

Guiness
11-22-2011, 06:44 PM
There was a change in 1994 which had some contradictory language which was then fixed in 2004.

In one part you had the new language reading: "If the receiver attempts to evade the defender, the defender cannot chuck him or extend an arm(s) to cut off or hook him, causing contact that impedes and restricts the receiver as the play develops."

Maybe this is the line I'm thinking of? It doesn't say anything about 5 yards in there. It says he can't. Is the 5 yards stated somewhere else?

smuggler
11-23-2011, 05:08 AM
What was the rule on the field during the @Det game last year where when Rodgers stepped out of the pocket right before he threw, it automatically declined the illegal contact penalty from earlier in the play on Amari Speivey (covering Jennings)? I had never heard that before. Any insights?

channtheman
11-23-2011, 04:30 PM
What was the rule on the field during the @Det game last year where when Rodgers stepped out of the pocket right before he threw, it automatically declined the illegal contact penalty from earlier in the play on Amari Speivey (covering Jennings)? I had never heard that before. Any insights?

I don't know the exact wording, but the gist of it is that once the QB is out of the pocket, it is impossible to have an illegal contact penalty occur. I've always assumed it was because once the QB is outside the pocket, you don't know if he is going to run or throw. However, if the QB does throw, you can still be called for defensive pass interference.

smuggler
11-23-2011, 06:00 PM
The illegal contact occured before the scramble and the official just said that the penalty was declined and that the interception stood. =(

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 04:13 PM
So another dissapointing day for arod, only 116.6, sigh.

Joemailman
11-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Week 12

Aaron Rodgers 127.7 1st overall :jig: Last week 128.8 1st overall
Matt Stafford 90.7 9th overall :tup: Last week 93.4 8th overall
Jay Cutler DNP 85.7 12th overall :neutral:
Christian Ponder 72.6 29th overall :oops: Last week 67.3 32nd overall

Caleb Hanie Does Not Qualify 56.9 :bang:

The only suspense left is whether Rodgers can hold onto his lead for the highest passer rating ever. His current rating beats out Peyton Manning's 121.1 from 2004.

Week 13

Aaron Rodgers at New York Giants
Matt Stafford at New Orleans
Christian Ponder vs. Denver
Caleb Hanie vs. Kansas City

Joemailman
12-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Week 13

Aaron Rodgers 125.3 :five: 1st overall Last week 127.7 1st overall
Matt Stafford 91.3 :tup: 9th overall Last week 90.7 9th overall
Jay Cutler DNP 85.7 :neutral: 12th overall
Christian Ponder 76.6 http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing024.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)24th overall Last week 72.6 29th overall

Caleb Hanie DNQ 40.8http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing014.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Last week 56.9

Arod has to have a passer rating of about 109 the rest of the way to break Mannings record of 121.1.

Guiness
12-06-2011, 12:34 AM
106.2 against the Giants. I think that's his lowest of the season? Incredible

channtheman
12-06-2011, 01:33 AM
106.2 against the Giants. I think that's his lowest of the season? Incredible

Too many drops the past 3 weeks have brought Rodgers down. Let's hope his receivers can find their stride and start catching the easy ones.

Upnorth
12-06-2011, 09:25 AM
They catch 2 of the drops and I bet Arod goes over 110 again.

sharpe1027
12-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Maybe this is the line I'm thinking of? It doesn't say anything about 5 yards in there. It says he can't. Is the 5 yards stated somewhere else?

Yeah, there is an exception portion that says the rule does not apply until 5 yards.

Exception: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent ONLY to a point five yards beyond the line of scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap clearly demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball. Within this five-yard zone, a defensive player may chuck an eligible player in front of him. A defensive player is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone until a point when the receiver is even with the defender. The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.

Guiness
12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Tebow had a 149.3 rating last week-end.

Cool. He should roll the Bears!

Joemailman
12-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Week 14

Aaron Rodgers 123.3 1st overall :glug: Last week 125.3 1st overall
Matt Stafford 92.6 8th overall :tup: Last week 91.3. 9th overall
Jay Cutler DNP 85.7 13th overall :neutral:
Christian Ponder 73.4 26th overall http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing014.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Last week 76.6 24th overall

Caleb Hanie DNQ 48.6 http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Last week 40.8

Arod has to have a passer rating of about 112 the rest of the way to break Mannings record of 121.1.

Week 15:

Aaron Rodgers at Kansas City
Matt Stafford at Oakland
Christian Ponder vs. New Orleans
Caleb Hanie vs. Seattle

Upnorth
12-13-2011, 09:37 AM
I think Arodd needs a huge game against KC to have a shot at the all time record. Chi and Det will play hard to spoil perfection.

Tarlam!
12-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I think Arodd needs a huge game against KC to have a shot at the all time record. Chi and Det will play hard to spoil perfection.

I hate it when Packer fans nail negative stuff, but, you nailed it.

Congrats on the baby, BTW.

I saw the thread, wanted to write, but I was still pssed at the site and cannot write PMs because my limit has overflowed. Children are a wonderful thing, I am so happy for your wife and you that all went well. God, or Superior Being, or whomever you worshship, bless your family.

Upnorth
12-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I hate it when Packer fans nail negative stuff, but, you nailed it.

Congrats on the baby, BTW.

I saw the thread, wanted to write, but I was still pssed at the site and cannot write PMs because my limit has overflowed. Children are a wonderful thing, I am so happy for your wife and you that all went well. God, or Superior Being, or whomever you worshship, bless your family.

Thank you, God has blessed us very much. That reminds me, I will put up baby pics tomorrow in the romper room. Also this baby actually sleeps, like 20 hrs a day. We have been told that is normal, but the other three got between 8 - 12 hrs only. This is awesome!

One last football thought, this is the second game where it looked like the play calling was designed to get stats not results. Going into the half and the first drive felt predicatable (to me). Did anyone else get that feeling?

Tarlam!
01-01-2012, 09:18 PM
So, does anybody know how sitting Rogers in week seventeen affects his Passer Rating?

mission
01-01-2012, 09:22 PM
So, does anybody know how sitting Rogers in week seventeen affects his Passer Rating?

It doesn't. He's the all-time record holder.