PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Bears

pbmax
09-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Here we go again:

from Football Outsiders: http://footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2011/week-1-dvoa-ratings

It's also interesting to note that Atlanta, even without any opponent adjustments to consider, has a rating above 0% and is only slightly lower than Chicago. The Bears recovered all five of the fumbles in the game, one for a touchdown, but the Falcons actually had more net yardage (386 to 377).

Tony Oday
09-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I hate the Bears. That being said they demolished the Falcons.

hoosier
09-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Last year the Bears' good fortune was merely a vehicle for putting them in the delightful position of losing the NFCCG on their home field to their arch rival. I wish them all of the best for 2011!

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-13-2011, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't say lucky for the Falcons game, they killed them.

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 05:44 PM
The turnovers were killer, but they happened for a reason. Bear's pressure really got to ATL - "Matty Ice" (:lol:) didn't handle it well. Still, Atlanta was able to move the ball, so the score looks worse than it was. That 'run to set up the pass' mentality of ATL looks really outdated, especially against a run stopping D like Chicago.

channtheman
09-13-2011, 06:03 PM
As soon as you stop ATL's running game, you've pretty much won the game. "Matty Ice" is a game manager.

hoosier
09-13-2011, 07:09 PM
The turnovers were killer, but they happened for a reason. Bear's pressure really got to ATL - "Matty Ice" (:lol:) didn't handle it well. Still, Atlanta was able to move the ball, so the score looks worse than it was. That 'run to set up the pass' mentality of ATL looks really outdated, especially against a run stopping D like Chicago.

If anything I thought Atlanta tried to stretch the field too much early in the game, as if they were the Chargers or something. Unless you have speed at TE the Bears's two-deep is a tough nut to crack. I would have tested them up the middle (and run right at Urlacher instead of allowing him to make athletic plays on the perimter) with that bowling ball they have in their backfield, and then when Lovey adjusts then let Matty start slinging it downfield.

Bossman641
09-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Week 1 - atl was missing 2 starting ol.
Week 2 - saints missing smith and colston.

Hard for me not to get the feeling of here we go again with the bears. That being said, bears played well in week 1.

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 08:24 PM
If anything I thought Atlanta tried to stretch the field too much early in the game, as if they were the Chargers or something. Unless you have speed at TE the Bears's two-deep is a tough nut to crack. I would have tested them up the middle (and run right at Urlacher instead of allowing him to make athletic plays on the perimter) with that bowling ball they have in their backfield, and then when Lovey adjusts then let Matty start slinging it downfield.

They still threw a lot to Gonzales, but they also ran a lot on first down. They weren't having much luck getting to that second level against Urlacher - probably the poor line play...

pbmax
09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Week 1 - atl was missing 2 starting ol.
Week 2 - saints missing smith and colston.

Hard for me not to get the feeling of here we go again with the bears. That being said, bears played well in week 1.

Also could still be without (or have limited) Lance Moore.

smuggler
09-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Part of the reason why the Bears are so lucky is because Lovie is a good coach. They consistently outperform their talent level. Lovie's the reason.

pbmax
09-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Part of the reason why the Bears are so lucky is because Lovie is a good coach. They consistently outperform their talent level. Lovie's the reason.

I am sorry, but you will need to rephrase this in the form of criticism if I am to understand your comment about the Bears. :)

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Very true: Lovie is an outstanding coach. That's really annoying.

Bossman641
09-13-2011, 09:29 PM
You guys must not watch the same bears I do. Great defensive coach, clueless on o and hiring o coordinators for the most part, awful clock management.

mraynrand
09-13-2011, 09:34 PM
You guys must not watch the same bears I do. Great defensive coach, clueless on o and hiring o coordinators for the most part, awful clock management.

I didn't say he was Lombardi or anything. Re-read your statement - you could say the same thing about Stubby, if you exchange 'offensive' for 'defensive.'

pbmax
09-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I think M3 is still on a red challenge flag winning streak though. Wasn't he like 6 in a row at one point? He's got that going for him.

superfan
09-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Here we go again:

from Football Outsiders: http://footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2011/week-1-dvoa-ratings

Very typical of the Bears. They seem to do this every year, somehow. Yet they also seem to be good for a few absolute clunkers every year, where the law of averages swings back against them, and all the good luck they have is mostly offset by a game or two of truly awful bad luck.

Must drive the stat freaks, and Chicagoans, nuts.

hoosier
09-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Translation: If the Bears could ever field anything more than a cast of mediocre talents they would be unbeatable. Achieving consistent competence at the QB position would put them at the top of the NFC.

Upnorth
09-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Sp going back to PBMax's original point, fumbles tend to be 50-50 as to who recovers over the long run. If the bears had only recovered 3 of the 5 fumbles I don't think we would be talking about how dominate the bears were. I still believe they played better than the falcons and would have won, but 2 turnonvers is a big deal.
Long story short, I look forward to the bears regression to the mean.

bobblehead
09-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Agreed. I still think you need to be able to run AND pass effectively in the NFL. If you can't do both, you will be vulnerable against teams that "match up" with you such as chicagos D against that O.

Fritz
09-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Fucking Bears.

They have anyone injured yet?

Joemailman
09-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Urlacher's status for Sunday's game uncertain due to emergency involving his mother. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-urlacher-leaves-to-attend-to-mother-20110913,0,2064886.story

Fritz
09-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Okay, my first thought was to reply with the classic "I guess I was too big for his mom to handle," but that wouldn't be very nice. It sounds like something truly serious. And while I hope Urlacher sucks donkey schnutts on the football field, I hope his mum's okay.

swede
09-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Okay, my first thought was to reply with the classic "I guess I was too big for his mom to handle," but that wouldn't be very nice. It sounds like something truly serious. And while I hope Urlacher sucks donkey schnutts on the football field, I hope his mum's okay.

What, are you Ghandi now? I'm gonna let this slide because it's not Bear week.

smuggler
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Lol. His mom died. Have some decency, you football fucks.

Iron Mike
09-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Wow, Fritz must have split her wide open.....

Iron Mike
09-14-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/story/2011-09/354559620-13122941.jpg

"Ooooooh, what do you think about that Girlacher, Troy???"
"It's SOOOOOO pretty, the way he paints his Son's toenails, Joe!!!"

Guiness
09-14-2011, 10:14 PM

Um, she's not dead yet, so fair game I think! Last time she got brought up, someone here mentioned she was a masseuse...immediate response was 'a happy ending style one?' lol

See the other article on the linked page? Allegedly, someone got raped in Merriweather's home. It's ok though, he wasn't involved (as either party!) :rolleyes:

A 28-year-old Mississippi man, James Roberts of Biloxi, Miss., has been charged with raping a woman at Meriweather's Massachusetts home and has pleaded not guilty.Gee, I can't see that having anything to do with his release from NE. Great acquaintances he's got...

edit: damn, just read that she did pass away.
http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/31978948

Joemailman
09-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Um, she's not dead yet, so fair game I think! Last time she got brought up, someone here mentioned she was a masseuse...immediate response was 'a happy ending style one?' lol

Um, she passed away. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7664378-417/bears-rally-around-brian-urlacher-in-wake-of-his-mothers-death.html

smuggler
09-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Yeah.... Can we delete this thread, please? At least all posts pertaining to Urlacher's mom. It's just really trashy of us.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Last year I thought the Bears were just lucky until they really whacked Philly. They demolished what should be a pretty good ATL team. So I'm not writing them off as lucky right now.

swede
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I call upon Skin to find a way to it Garbage-canned. The name "Bears" trashes up the first page anyway.

mraynrand
09-15-2011, 04:55 PM
I call upon Skin to find a way to it Garbage-canned. The name "Bears" trashes up the first page anyway.

I'll get ya started:

Chicago bares
Our sex survey reveals the naked truth about how our city gets busy. Debby Herbenick

We asked about your sex lives—or rather, we begged, pleaded and otherwise seduced you to take our online survey. After all of this,about 1,000 of you gave up the goods. Here’s what we learned from our semiscientific study of Chicagoans’ sex lives.

http://timeoutchicago.com/sex-dating/52710/chicago-bares

The most surprising finding: 4% of Male respondents claimed to have had sex with Jay Cutler. Females were at just 1%.

Fritz
09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
I'll get ya started:

http://timeoutchicago.com/sex-dating/52710/chicago-bares

The most surprising finding: 4% of Male respondents claimed to have had sex with Jay Cutler. Females were at just 1%.

Note that of that 4%, 2.7% identified Cutler not as a quarterback, but as the receiver, and the other 1.3% of the men identified Cutler as a tight end.

mraynrand
09-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Note that of that 4%, 2.7% identified Cutler not as a quarterback, but as the receiver, and the other 1.3% of the men identified Cutler as a tight end. :rs:

hoosier
09-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Note that of that 4%, 2.7% identified Cutler not as a quarterback, but as the receiver, and the other 1.3% of the men identified Cutler as a tight end.

As Nick Nolte would say, "I'll pitch, you catch."