PDA

View Full Version : Delayed and refreshed analysis

Astonishment
08-14-2006, 12:07 PM
After two days of letting this game sink in there are 10 things I think I know:

1 ) the offensive line -
Yes this is of course what everyone was talking about, but to me it sticks out for a different reason. If you would have told me that San Diego was going to go balls to the walls midseason blitzing I would not have expected Favre to last 1 series (I would give Rogers maybe 2) with this inexperienced and still unmeshed line. While I somewhat understand the strategy from the chargers perspective (building confidence for their players) to me it only builds a false sense of security. From the Packers perspective I believe what the Chargers did will play huge dividends. While the line was under siege by an all out and somewhat questionable onslaught, they were able to adjust on the fly and somewhat account for things that they were not prepared for. The fact that the Packers were able to adjust and at least move the ball is a win in my mind. Some may think that this is Green and Gold Cool-Aid, but I am very encouraged by the way our line played considering the circumstances. There is a ton that needs to be corrected, but after the way they stayed together I truly believe it will be.

2 ) the defensive pass rush -
This is where the positive view stops. There is almost no positives I can find with this part of the team. After re-watching the game, the rush was at best a token rush. Even KGB's sack was questionable. For some unexplainable reason the tackle bit on an in move from KGB and gave him the outside lane uncontested. The day KGB has a true inside move is the day he lives up to his contract, no tackle should bite like that on any kind of in move by KGB until he prove he ahs one. It was a terrible play by the tackle, and the sack fell into KGB's lap. Outside of that the starting defense did nothing to provide pressure. While I definitely don't subscribe to what San Diego did, I don't believe a team should depend on blitz's to provide the rush. Even in the most vanilla defense we should have had some semblance of consistence pressure.

3 ) A.J. Hawk -
He had one terrible miscue, but out side of that was more than solid. Hawk was around or in every pile, he got off blocks well, and was very solid against the run. The thoughts of him being a bust were greatly exaggerated. Hawk will at worst be a very good linebacker.

4 ) Running defense -
This part of the Packers will be much improved over the past couple years. Yes LT didn't play, but the Chargers are still a very good running team, and this Packer defense will only improve in this area. The line held up well, and the line backers followed to the ball very well, with Ben Taylor being the only player who seemed a step slow. If Hodge is able to beat out Taylor the running defense will only be better (if Hodge is worse in pass coverage than Taylor than he is very bad, because Taylor wasn't good).

5 ) the Secondary -
These guys will get more criticism than they deserve throughout the year because the pass rush is so bad. This being the first game they were a half step behind on to many plays, but I see no reason why that won't improve. For the most part they were in position and almost made plays. When they get up to speed those plays will be made. They also looked worse because Rivers threw absolutely perfect balls. Again that responsibility falls directly on the pass rush, no QB should be comfortable enough to consistently make those kind of throws. If the Packer somewhere get some kind of pass rush the secondary will quickly be considered one of the best in the league.

6 ) Aaron Roger -
I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. He played very well in spite of being in a bad situation with the second team line that was even worse than the poor play shown by the starters. Great game, and the future definitely looks brighter.

7 ) Very good future -
The Packers are looking like they are building with some very good building blocks. Hawk, Jennings, Hodge, Culver, Collins, Rogers, and even at points College and Spitz all look like they are good to great players to go into the next era of Packer football with.

8 ) Brett Favre -
He looked very, very good. I believe you can tell allot more about someone through adversity than you can though triumph. While that means last year definitely worried me with Favre I could be happier with what I saw with how he played in very bad circumstances on Saturday.

9 ) Receivers -
They have the makings of a very deep group. Driver and Jennings are clearly the cream of the crop, but Boe, Gardner, and Ferguson make for a very deep group. Unfortunately I think they will struggle with consistency throughout the year, and the Packers will have their fair share of drops.

10 ) Running backs -
I feel very confident saying I don't think I know any more or any less than I did before this game about these guys. With the play of the offensive line I don't see how any of the Backs could get in a grove. So this group sticks out because they didn't stick out.

fan4life
08-14-2006, 12:29 PM
A very fair assessment. Thanks for sharing it!

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Thank You Astonishment.

I'm still downloading the first half of that game. Can't wait to view it. :idea:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !!

PATIENCE PACKER fans.

Packnut
08-14-2006, 12:43 PM
I think after a couple of days to analyze it, most of us have gotten over the intial panic. I'm gonna wait until after the 3rd game before coming to any concrete conclusions. I wanna see how we are when the starters go 3 quarters. Also I wanna see Green play before giving up on our run game.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Thank You Astonishment.

I'm still downloading the first half of that game. Can't wait to view it. :idea:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !!

PATIENCE PACKER fans.

Downloading? I want to download the game.

Tony Oday
08-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I like the assesment on the O line. I think this is one of the best games the oline can play in the preseason that we could hope for! The RBs could pick up a blitz to save a million dollars and the big mistakes on the line seemed to come from the tackle position which makes me feel good because Clifton and Taucher will adjust and be good.

4and12to12and4
08-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Fortunately and unfortunately, we should expect the falcons defense to also give our o-line fits this week, obviously because they run the same scheme and know its strengths and weaknesses. They actually have a better stiuation than SD because they can watch what they did, and see our weaknesses in a real game situation. Although SD has a much better defense (going by last year anyways), they should still have a great advantage. I think this is the best way the Packers can start this year. These guys are really gonna be challenged and WILL be better for it.